Shit games that are worth playing

So obviously your time is always better spent going through your backlog and playing actual good games you haven't gotten around to yet.

But how about games that are so bad they're entertaining, or are historically significant in their shittiness, or ones that Holla Forums has memed into relevancy that might be worth a look just to understand all the jokes?

Besides, it's hard to say you really know what makes a good game if you haven't seen what it means to do it wrong.

ITT: List bad games that, for one reason or another, are worth playing. Not necessarily a full playthrough, but at least worth a look. It goes without saying that no money should be given to any of these games.

The obvious ones out of the way first:
So that A) you can see the game that crashed the industry, and B) so you actually know what you're talking about when people discuss how bad the game it

Pod-person writing, completely insufferable indie/hipster vibe, and a perfect example of how to fuck up a 3D point-and-click in every way possible. Fun as an endurance test to see how far you can get without gagging.

Just for the sake of experiencing firsthand how garbage Gearbox is, and in the case of BL2, just how shitty it must be to be Anthony Burch

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983
twitter.com/AnonBabble

neverwinter nights 2 is a piece of shit but it's strangely comfy in how generic, bland and boring it is, I enjoying replaying it from time to time.

Sonic 06, just to understand what really makes a bad game.

TO UNDERSTAND THE WII U

I unironically enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. I wanted a big dumb shooter with Duke making quips, and that's exactly what I got. Kind of. First half is obviously the work of the original team, but I have a hard time believing the people who did that worked on the second half. It really does feel like they were just trying to get the game out of the door. Cramped environments, shitty driving level, and far less Duke dialogue. Supposedly the DLC is on par with the first half, but I didn't play it.

Borderlands 2 has better gameplay, but it just drags on way too fucking long.

Both games should have been exactly half as long as they were. Thankfully I got them both on sale.

Hating on Borderlands 2 is just a meme, the game is fun as fuck.

Play Daitkania to see a good "bad" game.

Shit, that's an obvious one, I should've included it in the OP. Oh well.

The gameplay seemed passable enough, but the reason it gets hate around here is because of the cuck who wrote for it. Daikatana's a good one though.

Of those, only Devil's Third might be worth playing for the laugh factor. Everything else would be miserable to actually sit through, just knowing they exist is enough.

E.T. is not worth playing. That shit deserved to have its cartridges landfilled in a ditch in New Mexico.

Duke Nukem 3D is the only duke shooter worth playing. It's amazing how 3D Realms managed to move from a fun FPS with nonlinear levels and a wide assortment of fun weapons to the sheer cancer that is DNF.

Is it worse than Bubsy 3D or Superman 64. 06 is unique as it is a bad game worth your time to see how bad a story can turn into a giant trainwreck while taking gameplay that was decent(Adventure controls were alright) into something sluggish coupled with level design that wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so inappropriately matched with a platformer character. Oh and also the rushed aspect.

But the thing that makes it unique is how at first glance it doesn't look like hot garbage from the high def graphics and competent music but also the marketing it had.

You don't have to play the whole thing. Even just a minute or two will give you a good sense of how bad it is. That's the point, understanding why it's shit for yourself, not just lapping up other people's opinions about what you should and shouldn't consider good game design. Plus, it's a piece of history. Worth experiencing.

This shitheap right here.

The lowest point of Square-Enix. From Nomura's hubris, manifested literal faggotry, to Toriyama's inherent display of talent that cries desperation and lack of ideas. Complete this with a trilogy of asset re-use, and you see just how bad things can become.

It's a nice, humbling reminder what happens to a company that becomes the victim of their own success, try to emulate that reason for their success, while chasing trends of "potential" fans while completely disregarding the initial fanbase that supported them in the first place.

Reminder that Toriyama spent half the fucking reveal for the third one just professing the virtues of his waifu/daughterfu/whateverfu.

That… is basically how /tg/ feels about anything set in the Forgotten Realms.

Do you think he ever bought a plane ticket to France to find the actual train station that they modeled the ending of Lightning Returns after, just so he could sit on a bench and wait for her to step off the train?

Don't you feel like you're thinking about this too much?

If I can say anything nice about DNF, Duke the character was handled reasonably well. Where it fell down was in gameplay and level design, because DN3D has some of the best level design in any old FPS game, with multiple approaches to complete a level and secret areas, and for the time the environments actually felt pretty realistic-looking. Totally ruined in a corridor shooter and most of the weapons suck too barring the shrink ray.

Ride to Hell Retribution belongs in the list just because it's hilariously bad, and with some pretty spectacular glitches.

I would love to see video of a lookalike of him do so, season by season, year by year, like Fry's dog from Futurama.

There are so many good books, films and games that a lifetime won't be enough to watch/read/play them all.
Why waste your time with the bad ones?

The bad lets you appreciate the good even more?

Wouldn't it have the opposite effect? Like when a 5/10 looks better near a landwhale. You end up playing a mediocre game and saying "at least is not ET".

I find bad or disappointing games fun in their own way.

Should you not then look more to the 10/10 and wonder how you did without her? Also I personally hate mediocre games. It needs to be bad, or disappointing.

Metroid Other M. Gameplay's pretty much nothing special and certainly nothing Metroid, but the writing has to be seen to be believed. You don't know shit if you just saw the bullet points. You don't understand how fast and hard Metroid died back then until you've seen that incomprehensibly stupid and cringy thumbs down scene.

Night in the Woods is a good entry in the "play this to get angry" category, not because of the SJW characters and horrible writing but because of the squandered setting and lack of payoff.

How was BL2 different from the first game? I was under the impression they essentially just copypasted more of the same shit from the first one and threw a little bit of extra content in there like weapons or abilities or whatever.

I thought you would end your post with something like "just to see how many niggers actually live there", I guess I've been on Holla Forums too much.

Important so you understand that Other M wasn't the actual game that ruined the Metroid series.

Nobody would call it perfect but to claim that Fusion is somehow worse than MOM or the Prime franchise strongly pushes me to believe you're either baiting or just retarded. If Fusion was shit, then by extension the original was almost as bad.

ET is near the top of my list for when I get an Atari 2600. I think Deadly Premonition is another obvious one. It's one of my favorite games though. Also some Beyblade game I played on the Gamecube with my cousins over a decade ago.

Hopefully some more obscure games will be mentioned in this thread.

They're fun with friends.

Fusion is proto Other M, you'd realize that if you weren't a nostalgiafaggot.

Also this. That's why I don't like modern games as much, since most of them are between good and terrible, and end up just being boring.

Live in her pussy lmao

I wouldn't call it worse than Other M, but it certainly is worse than the Prime games. And I consider the Prime games to be rather mediocre at the end of the day.

Not sure I understand the extension. Original: total freedom, no arbitrarily locked doors, can literally choose the order of boss fights. Fusion: linear hand-holding locked-down piece of shit and a truckload of awful unskippable dialogue.

Being proto other M is much different from being other M. One is a metroid game that bears the ideas that would one day become other M. The other is actually other M.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with this and if you think it does you better back that shit up with something solid rather than just flinging shit at the wall. If we're talking dialogue in Fusion then sure, I criticized that shit one day one. The ending monologue of Fusion and the stupidly shoehorned "omg it's AI guy I used to know, muh feels" was especially horrible, with the stuff Samus spews at the end sounding super pretentious and preachy. But we're not talking dialogue, we're talking gameplay.
Fusion had it, and MOM fucking did not. I'm not saying Fusion was as good as the original Metroid, I'm only saying the gameplay resembled it in a lot of ways. MOM was just a horrible abortion in every way, pun intended.

I don't know, I haven't thought about that. Gameplay wise it seems like its comparing apples and oranges to me, although I did enjoy the Prime games more because of the content and graphics and utter lack of ridiculously stupid dialogue. There was a bit too much backtracking even for a Metroid game, but they still utilized various areas pretty well. I will say that they did a great job with the atmosphere in Echoes and I think they did a good job with it in Fusion as well.

oh I forgot to mention, the issue I took was with your original statement "MOM wasn't the game to ruin Metroid," implying that Fusion was that game. I'm saying no, MOM definitely fucking ruined Metroid, to the point that pretty much everyone said "yeah we're going to pretend this shit never happened." You can think Fusion was shit, that's fine, I'm saying that your original statement that Fusion was the ruination of Metroid is just off the mark.
Sage because doublepost

Name a good Metroid game since Fusion. You can't.

Fusion ruined Metroid.

All 3 Metroid Prime games plus its spinoff on DS. That makes it 4.

Nope, and lol at including that awful piece of crap Hunters.

You are not worth discussing with.

Hunters was a bit mediocre but it was by no means bad.

The Bethesda Fallout games (and New Vegas). Because it's literally the only place you're going to get that kind of video game experience.

Is it really that bad? How does it differ from the original NWN? I got NWN Diamond for free off gog and I'm enjoying it so far, and was thinking of at least trying the sequel out, unless they fucked that up.

A) The whole Prime trilogy is at least good
B) Hunters is seriously flawed, but it's debatable that it's outright bad.
C) A game being the last good entry in a series does not mean it ruined the series

Square went to shit once the last of the original Square soft/Enix employees left.

I guess you've been larping too much >>>Holla Forums

Atarti games are pretty boring as shit, but how could they even crash the whole fucking industry?

the biggest challenge is to try and play it without losing the will to live.
the furthest I got was I think one hour

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

They only crashed the North American console market. the PC market in other regions wasn't affected at all.

Fuck you cuck.

Duke Nukem Forever isn't half bad if compared to other 3D shooters like the original Prey, or even Doom 3/Nu. It might be short and a bit uninspired but it's not closely as bad as "muh doom" autists make it up to be.

Why does this child have the thighs of an adult?

It's actually a triple-digit-age dragon in human form.

You mean of a landwhale? The artist has shit taste like all who draw anime cancer.

Dook fourever wasn't as cataclysmically bad as people thought it was as far as I know. It was just a painfully boring and ugly shooter.

Works for me.

I might agree, but when I played through it I was just aching for it to be over the whole time. It didn't even make me angry, it was just exhausting and painfully unpleasant.

Obviously, all else being equal, you should always work on your backlog. But there is value in experiencing the worst a medium has to offer. A pretty okay movie might not give you as much entertainment or insight into the medium as watching The Room would. Especially true if you want to get into gamedev. Learning what not to do is hugely important.

Let me handle this one

Ok, BL2 is, in fact a better GAME than BL1. Mostly because BL2 has significantly more variety, even if it does still wear that variety out several times over before the game finally ends. It's not nearly as bad as BL1, whose weapons and character skills and enemy designs were not nearly as varied and interesting. It's still not enough variety to carry a 40 hour game, but at least they were trying.

The problems with BL2 come in the writing.

I won't go over all my grievances with it because they are quite frankly innumerable. But here are the big ones:

Yeah, more personalized storylines could've gone a long way, and honestly, You could have kept nearly everything as-is if it was more self-aware how dated it was, and if it had a darker tone that balanced out the sheer levity of the series.
Also, you haven't even mentioned the worst part: The Sarcasm, the… how do I describe it, Irony-whoring? See pic.

Yeah, that's what I was going for when I mentioned "it clearly thinks it's funnier than it is"

For the record, I'm not even sure why they brought the characters from BL1 back, because frankly they weren't even characters at all. None of them had anything special. All the new ones were at least a little interesting in some way.

not this shit again

Krieg needed a lot more circumstantial dialogue as well, like you said with the character dialogue. I mean, who doesn't want to see Krieg's inner sanity react to seeing Tina. Hell, the scene where she kills Flesh-Stick could've been improved with Krieg just saying to himself "That's my girl" with emotionally choked up sadness and satisfaction.

Fuck off nip. I know who is behind this post.

Tunnel Rats. A game based on an Uwe Boll movie, and as bad as you'd expect. Worth playing just to hear probably the only time in a videogame you'll have a voice actor actually say "gook".
Chaser. The only game I know of from the developer that isn't a licensed hunting game. Terrible QA and real bullshit difficulty, but surprising story and features the voice of Geralt of Rivia.

Neither are all that bad.Way overblown by losers like totalasscancer and yatzi for clickshekels. The great thing with DNF is, if you play the story expansion pack, you can see that gearbox is responsible for everything about the final release of DNF because it plays exactly the same. 3D Realms did nothing wrong. Bordermemes is pure shit from 1-whatever entry is newest.
Gearbox was only good when it was making 2 hour long Half-Life expansion packs.

I wonder if there's something with japanese developers and games in a series with a multiple of 5. To my understanding, FF15 had a lot of the same problems and unfinished nature MGSV had.

MKULTRA games are NEVER worth playing. Spare your mind. Tumblrtale alone mindfucked a lot of people that previously were closer to normal. They're full blown communists now.

Why?

What?

At least the swag from the collector's edition was actually cool. The bust of Duke sits on my desk. Better than the actual game.

I played it with rose-tinted glasses, I really did. If you go into it knowing how awful it is, it's worth a chuckle and a groan.

You heard me.

What the fuck are you on about?

Have you even played this game? The platforming is complete shit. Half of the platforming utilizes the shoehorned shrink mechanic that would have been better used as an actual fucking gun like they did in DN3D.

The boss fights are fucking stupid. The final boss is literally the first boss with extra shit getting in your way. The alien queen amounts to playing babby's first physics puzzle. Battlelord is ANOTHER example of Gearbox throwing as much physical humor into the game as they can get away with.

You do realize that this is what people like these legitimately believe, right? This is how they see the world, and they wholly believe that Duke represents concepts like these. You can't fight the enemy if you refuse to understand their ridiculous rules.

Yeah, you got me there. I suck at pinball.

By the way, Memelands 2 is a good base game that suffered from horrific writing, plotholes you could fly a Buzzard through, and poorly written characters. If they put any effort into the story and characters, it would have been at least an 8/10 game.Fight me, faggot.

I did but what

The problem with the writing wasn't "it's underwritten and only serves to string together all the meaningless gunfights." That was BL1's problem, and I could deal with it. BL2's writing, on the other hand, is incredibly in your face and impossible to ignore. Painfully so.

Get. Good.

Tumblrtale was only good for KMFDM posting.

Any other interesting underrated concepts that always end up in bad games?

I'd suggest Spiderman and the Xmen: Arcades Revenge

Its not a "bad" game considering its a licensed capeshit game by LJN. Its artificially difficult and very bland but I have good memories of it despite that. Its not a good game either

Oh actually another one that comes to mind is Batman Forever for the SNES (specifically)

Mechanically, it's a 2D platformer / scrolling beat-em-up. There is no explanation on how to do things in-game. I don't know if the manual is accurate because the copy I got as a kid never came with one. I think we got it from a pharmacy side counter.

You can pick two tools at the start of each level, which basically chooses your special moves. You can also block, grapple swing, glide, and drop down platforms (by like, holding down, and tapping something, it was very confusing).

THE BEST PART IS THE LOADING SCREENS YOU SEE EVERY TWO MINUTES

The only Jap game in recent memory using the term recent very loosely here where the fifth entry wasn't a real letdown is Tekken, then again if you also count the first Tag game then the fifth game would be Tekken 4 and that game was a complete disaster.

Fucking how?

Look up a gameplay video on YT. The graphics are pre-rendered, and look juicy for what it is. But they're slow and there's a ton of them.

Daikatana is worth playing to see the clowny weapon designs. Getting through the levels is a fucking endurance test though and the cutscenes were totally unnecessary. The whole game feels like a shitty cyberpunk version of Shadow Warrior.

Some neat concepts in this Zelda-ish game which revolve around mixing and matching Greek elements, but unfortunately the game is unfinished as fuck, with a full developer debug menu left in and renamed to a "cheat menu" for release. And the sad part is you will probably need it.

This F2P game is, ironically, fun if you never spend money on it and only use the trial Mechs for a few matches. The core mechanics are fairly solid and if it had a single player campaign it might have been a worthy successor to MW2. However you will tire of this game when you either get sick of simple skirmish matches, matchmaking times, and realize that the grind to achieve new Mechs and "pilot skills" is fucking soul crushing. The free Mechs do rotate weekly however, so you may enjoy it for a week or 2. Don't bother with the campaign map mode, it was a total fucking joke when it launched and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even work now – also, there are way too few players to make it viable.

Watch the co-op speedrun. Also to give the game some credit the enemies have some pretty funny attacks.

I always cheated and used the level skip and "kill all enemies on screen" thing. I couldn't get past the 3rd or 4th level, it was kinda tough.

The practice mode with extra enemies was fun shit

my man you still writing walls of text on how undertale is brainwashing for the gay agenda? You might actually've be right with the large amount of homosexuals here

Sonic Dreams Collection?

I say Sonic '06 is worth playing so you can actually see why it's actually bad and not just be a memester, because people constantly shit on that game for the wrong reasons.

But really I think Sonic '06 is a great example of how you can take a good concept and good ambition and ruin it with corporate greed. If the game was finished, it would have been the best 3D Sonic game by far. Clearly their intention was to go back to the original Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, improve what worked and tweak what didn't, and put it all on a grander scale. And a lot of their ideas for improvements make sense. Like how they differentiated Sonic and Shadow by giving Sonic more agility based moves and Shadow long range attacks (making Shadow slower was dumb though). They had Tails flying around freely again, and Knuckles doing linear stages. There were plenty of good ideas, but it was released as an alpha prototype that didn't even have the time to dummy out unfinished, half-implemented ideas.

When people act like that game was flawed from the ground up, they really show they just get their opinions from game grumps or some shit. There's a reason there are people remaking the game for Windows. They could spend that time on better games that don't have Windows versions, but they do this one because it has the foundations of a good game, but needs about a thousand layers of polish before it is done.

Not even close. Fusion wasn't very good, but saying it ruined the series is a tube too far.

THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY
THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY
THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY
THE BABY
THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY

Fusion was fun as fuck, If Metroid games could be considered ice cream then fusion is a sorbet
Other M is a frozen burrito

Superman 64 just for it's practice mode so you can fly around at your own leisure and admire the stunning building models.

I had fun with this than the shit the West have been releasing lately

Probably important to understand why anyone would like this horseshit series in the first place. Or maybe to understand what was going on with the PC RPG genre in the late '90s (how it was ruined). I dunno.

FO2 was better, the user interface was improved a lot. It did go a little bit overboard with the jokes and gags, though.

FO3 was better than both so it's really a moot point

We're getting that with MW5 and it will be as equally shit as MWO.

All of the Bethesda titles irrevocably raped the lore and story of the previous entries to the point that it's basically an unrecognizable shitpile of a story. Bethesda basically Michael Bay'd the Fallout series.

I actually liked the game as as kid

If you're playing singleplayer then IDK. The entire NWN community hated 2 because it fucked up literally the only thing NWN has going for it, the modding and multiplayer. Infact you can see this first hand with how 1 has more players online than 2 despite its servers being shutdown.

looking good

If that’s too old for you, I have some underage for you

You're damn right it is.

This is wrong in the PC port.