Linux gaming

Time for a linux gaming general. What are you playing? Anything coming out that caught your eye? Any disappointments?

It's finally the year of the Linux Desktop! ;_;

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_an_Ubuntu_Xenial_installation
ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu-flavours
sparkylinux.org/download/rolling/
artixlinux.org/
support.amd.com
www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ubuntu/amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261.tar.xz'
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1697487#p1697487
linuxtor.org/
zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_GZDoom_on_Linux#Debian.2FUbuntu
01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/intel-graphics-update-tool-linux-os-v2.0.5
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_an_Ubuntu_Xenial_installation#Rip_out_systemd
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/Ceres-without-Systemd
github.com/Managor/install-deps.sh/blob/master/install-deps.sh
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5248621
tlwiki.org/?title=Violated_Heroine
easyrpg.org/
github.com/EasyRPG/
please
archive.fo/BuxwS
playonlinux.com/en/download.html
wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
github.com/opentomb/opentomb
forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-quick-guide/108981
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso
rufus.akeo.ie/
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/?h=linux-vfio
fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/latest-virtio/virtio-win.iso
libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1 deb8u6_amd64.deb
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
vfio.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/iommu-groups-inside-and-out.html
nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I beat Sanic Mania in WINE yesterday. Still don't know why the sound quality is so shitty, though.

I will switching to linux pretty soon. Do you have a recommendation for an easy to use version that doesn't have any problems? I have a linux mint version that will not play sound because of a bad kernel I guess. In any case the problem is fixed by updating the kernels.

I'm on Linux Mint 18.2. What's your issue with it? Are you running it in a virtual machine? I've had minimal issues running it apart from the occasional break when I do something stupid. That said, I have broken my OS a few times and had to reinstall, but I've gotten good enough at the process that it usually takes me >20 minutes from start to finish. It really is a great OS.

The games can be a bit thin however. We've been sold the meme that Vulkan will be our panacea but I've yet to see that bear fruit.

Oh child, what good is gnu/linux if you can't waste your days solving it's problems?

???

No.
I have had mostly problems with the sound. When I first upgraded I was without sound for a month fruitlessly searching for a fix to the issue. I just updating the kernels, and reloaded alsa or whatever it was I was using. Another issue I didn't solve was that my sound software wouldn't use a mic properly. In the case of a headphone set with a mic built in once plugged into the computer it would allow me to use the mic, or the headset, but not both. I never did find a solution to it.

Some of us have work to do, and don't computers toys.

Linux is just not very good for video games user. That is changing but slowly because the people behind linux consider computers toys instead of a tool.

pick one with the coolest name
they all do the same shit

go play serious sam fusion if you want muh vulkan

Why the fuck am I not using the words "use", and "as" in a sentence?

Did you ever navigate to the sound settings? It lets you pick input/output. I'd be surprised if you missed this step but you never know. I'm able to select which channel my audio goes through, be it my speakers or my headset given the circumstance I'm in.

How long ago did you try to install Mint? There has been some leaps in technology since then if it has been a while back. Would recommend you give it another shot and see.

you might have to split the jack with a splitter.

A kike first post even in Holla Forums? Where does it end?

Yah I did find that, but when I tried to use it the software would sperg the fuck out putting the mic in output, or input repeatedly. I honestly don't know what the fuck it was doing.
It was months, or even years ago good to hear they have made some improvements.

This is also something I may have to do. Would probably be easier.

Is Mint + WINE still the best combo to play MS OS games?
I'm tempted to stick to Win 7 until it is genuinely impossible to use (I could just disconnect from the internet if the OS is so depreciated it's "unsafe" once MS release viruses that fuck with older OS's to make people upgrade to newer OS with more monitoring).

I tried this on VM linux 18.2 because it's based off Ubuntu Xenial but it didn't work, it'd break my install.
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_an_Ubuntu_Xenial_installation
Would this work on Xubuntu? I fucking hate ubuntus DE.

I finally got gzdoom to build on my machine.
I'll celebrate by posting some old oniontrain art and playing cool wads.

so what forced you faggot to jump into the penguin os?
>bought new laptop
>cant install windows 7 because the CPU is a i7-7700HQ

Got some suggestions?
I just know you're going to play H-doom

Just use a prebuilt binary you nerd lmao.

Mint 18.2

Choice. I didn't want to "upgrade" to windows 10, and felt like trying an alternative. Then I stuck with it. I unironically enjoy fucking around with linux.

You can use any 17.X Linux Mint, it's the last versions that didn't include systemd. Also, you can optionally not install systemd, as it's something you have to opt into when you go into the update menu.

PulseAudio was notoriously bad in the past, but it's a lot better now. It's a good time to take the plunge imo.

I want to upgrade because I want to use tox and the stable version doesn't work on Trusty.
On Ubuntu?

That's good to hear. I tried to use a linux based OS a while ago, but got frustrated at it's lack of games. Now I'm frustrated with microsoft's bullshit again, so I am going to try linux for a second time.

Mint is just Ubuntu with a custom skin and worse security. Look at the images I attached to see which desktop environment looks best to you, then download the corresponding LTS Ubuntu release.

ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu-flavours

Don't download mainline Ubuntu. The Unity desktop is going away next April.

Alternatively, if you want a system that is more bleeding edge, but don't want to lose the benefits of being on a Debian-based OS, I recommend SparkyLinux Rolling. It's based on Debian Sid/Unstable but with a community built around it. In my time I've only had one major breakage, and that was solved within minutes by someone on the Debian mailing list.

sparkylinux.org/download/rolling/

Not him, but:

Some of these are newer, so they're not on the standard best-of guides.

That shitty p2p chat program? Porque? There's much better alternatives already. You realize if you're not behind a VPN you're just giving everyone your personal IP every time you connect a Tox session right? It's like torrenting.

I don't use Ubuntu but I would imagine it works similarly.

If you're on Windows, download RUFUS to create a linux USB bootable drive. Then download whichever Linux ISO you want (with whichever flavor) and you're on your way.

XFCE image didn't attack for some reason. Probably a file size limit. XFCE and Xubuntu are my personal recommendations. They're what I started with, and I still use XFCE.

I also forgot to mention that if you pick a desktop environment and decide you don't like it, you don't have to do a system reinstall. You can just install one of the others from your repositories and choose it on your login screen.

Been playing Eiyuu Senki, I'll go back and play Cuphead when I get through with that, then Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection. WINE is pretty amazing.

What's the best alternative that I can trust if there's any?
What distro are you talking about you can choose to install systemd or not?

Better than it turn into linux has no games thread for the eleventy billionth time.

you can use tox with tor if you want to hide your ip, but all the kids are using discord nowadays even though mumble is superior.

Mint leaves systemd as a checkable option (i.e. not something you will automatically include on an update) as it lets you update things on a per item basis. Just in case you didn't want to include a few things that might break your setup.

Like I said, I've been using Linux Mint since I started (mainly because I found it worked for me and I'm incredibly lazy) so I've stuck with Mint.

If you're not always on a vpn you're making a mistake friendo. Discord is a honeytrap. I still use an old WoW chat server that we paid forwards 10 years in advance. I now use Mangler for what I used to use Ventrilo for on Windows.

>H-doom
Maybe if they were closer to the regular monsters, but such a wad doesn't seem to exist yet. I'm not really interested in /monster/-girls.
I've been replaying through Ancient Aliens lately, and having a blast.

This one is loads of fun. If you liked it I'll suggest Russian Overkill for another over-the-top wad full of crazy shit.

I don't understand this line, unless they're trolling. Gaming on Linux is the best it's ever been.

What they mean is it doesn't have some AAA title, which is stupid. This board shits on AAA every day until Linux comes up, then it's suddenly some deal breaker for switching over. I haven't had a Windows partition in two years and I'm doing just fine.

Oh shit, forgot about Ancient Aliens. Absolutely recommended.

Pic is the guide from /doom/. Maybe outdated.

Emulators

eye?
Might try some of these flatpaks things

Can't use ReShade, can't run some fighting games

About time that distro made something that justified using it.

It still lacks mundane stuff like an equalizer from the get go, you have to install it yourself, set it up to run on the background, and it's not even good, also it doesn't have Loudness Equalization either.

I got a couple XFCE pics from my craptop

Finally got dwarf fortress running on some potato computer I have as a backup now that my main rig is spaghetti.
It runs like a dry turd down a rubber hotwheels track, but at least it runs.

But still inferior in terms of compatibility compared to windows. Again linux is getting better even as windows is getting worse, and worse, but linux has only been a serious platform for gaming in the last 2 or three years. For me the reason I didn't like linux was because my old windows XP was stable, and compatible with everything I tried to put on it. Now though XP, and windows in general is just not enough. On top of the fact I don't want to put up with windows butt fuckery anymore.

Nah, Mint now has systemd, but you can not install it if you don't want to. It's not baked into the OS.

I don't really use equalizers so I can't really comment.

Would I be able to play original Shogun on it? I miss that game.

Since when? I'm running 17.3 and it's not included, but with Mint 18.2 there's no running from systemd.

Holy shit, that explains so much about why Linux is total dogshit for consumer use. They don't want their computer to do useful work, they just like messing around with the computer itself.

That's a nice look. Small screen, but mine's only a tad larger. I have the panel set to autohide and autoexpand to maximize my screen space. I'm thinking about making mine look like pic related.

Total War? It looks like the original runs okay through Wine 2.0+, but the sequel has a native version.

It shows up as an option in your update manager. You don't have to do it. It's a tier 4 update (like kernal updates) so they leave it up to a person that actually wants it and selects it.

help

Well my next machine is linux.

Eduke

What exactly is 'consumer use'? Linux is an island for niche hobbyists exactly how the internet used to be for most people before '06. Unix philosophy is nice, gives me a lot more control. The occasional headache abounds, but for the most part it just hums along nicely with many useful features packed in. If you haven't used a package manager, you're missing out. I can't even look at windows anymore. If you want a normalfag OS, use Mac OS. Homebrew on MacOS is great, and a lot of the terminal commands work there too. Then again I'm not a kid anymore and most of what I do on the internet is tinkering around and not games.

But isnt Steam only giving support to Gnome, XDE, and Unity DE in ubuntu? If its by compatibility, then shouldnt be recomended the Ubuntu versions supported?

What is a good distro to play on? Any recommendations? I use slackware in an older laptop, so I'm not a complete retard at linux.

Exactly. Consumer use in this case is whatever the consumer needs. For example here people just want to play video games, and linux for a long time was at a huge disadvantage in terms of compatibility versus windows. Yes you could get lnux to run most things true, but when you factor in the average user with hundreds perhaps thousands of PC games tinkering with the system to get them to work isn't practical. I find it funny though that most people don't use linux though. All they need is email, storage, and security. Something linux is overall better at than windows.

If your smart you could GPU pass-through, I wrote a guide and when I get home I can dump

Precisely I just wanted to use linux, and tried to install Kubuntu on one of my Hard disks, but when the installation finished, I when to boot Kubuntu. But then, a black screen with this texts appears:

[drm:amdgpu_vce_ring_test_ib [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: IB test timed out.
[drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: failed testing IB on ring 12 (-110).
[drm:amdgpu_device_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ib ring test failed (-110).

What do I do now?

TL2
Yes.
I don't want to jinx it so I'm not saying the titles right now.
It won't happen like that. It happens in small moves.

eDuke you mongoloid.

It usually just says Ubuntu either 14.04 or 16.04 or whatever the latest LTS is. In practice, I've had Steam games run fine with an ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 respin using XFCE, and Manjaro XFCE.

Gotcha, thanks.

Also get artixlinux.org/

They recommend Ubuntu or Debian because SteamOS is based on debian. In theory you could run any linux native game on any linux distro. I never touch anything related to Debian and I can run every just fine.

which amd gpu and what version of kubuntu.

Kernel and userland are both highly corporatized at this point. Almost all development is driven by and for enterprise. Hobbyist oriented distros (Gentoo and Slackware not Arch ricer shit) and BDFLs like Torvalds and Volkerding are the only things standing in the way of the inevitable flood of corporate driven feature creep. I predict in 20 years most linux distros will be of the same """quality""" as windows. Ubuntu is ahead of the curve on this trend.

Yes oekaki animu grill, I don't want to jinx it because one title is technically out already but the linux port is really slow a comin. The other title I'm waiting for a sale but I have heard good reviews from those who bought it but I have to see for myself. The other one is a sequel that will release in a week or so, so don't want to jinx it.

That's why we will all eventually change to BSD.

Why are you being a big homo about this? Just name the games.

The amazon search feature comes to mind re Ubuntu

I agree. My windows 8 partition is the best. I don't bother fixing it's problems because they can't be fixed.

NO! I will not name names! For at least a week.

That was in Unity and they took it out iirc. But they should have also booted out Jim Zemlin while they're at it. There, there's your name. Jinx Zemlin, he deserves a good jinxing.

Had a Laptop with Linux first because I purged windows 10 off of it and later my windows 7 install started to give out with various buggs and general annoyances so I switched as well on the main machine and have never looked back.

i kekked a little bit in my mouth

i use linux as a server in several applications and would never use anything else, but yea,,, its a fucking meme if you think you can run it as a desktop os

worksformeâ„¢

Been playing a lot of Terraria now that I finally have a powerful enough GPU to run its horribly-optimized Mono "port". Proprietary AMD drivers were fucking trash, never thought the open source ones would be better.

Anyone know how to get MIDI sound decent for older games?

most contributors to the open source drivers are amd devs

Terraria protip: fight the worm boss asap. Everything is downhill from there.

I attempt to beat the game on Expert with the rule that I make a new map if I die. I actually tend to skip Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu entirely because I almost always try to go straight from fishing a reaver shark to molten armor. I also tend to avoid breaking shadow orbs/crimson hearts because they activate randomized goblin army invasions, which can really fuck your shit up once the Wall of Flesh is defeated if you're not prepared for them. So I generally just harvest some tattered clothes and summon a goblin army once manually.

Oh yeah, plus breaking shadow orbs/crimson hearts activates meteors, which can sometimes mess up terrain I don't want messed up. Meteor armor is nice but I usually go with a robe + wizard hat which is a little higher magic damage rate.

by getting a roland

kys faggot

But you can run Linux as a desktop OS. It has internet browsers, word processors, media players, and so on.

why are you running it in wine? Why not just move the files over to a Linux version of Dosbox.

WildMidi, or Timidity with a good soundfont like Arachno.

Why not simply use EDuke32?

RX 560 4g, and the LTS version of Kubuntu.

Exactly that user. They are making games on linux run better so we can have proper tools to make games. Godot engine is just the start.

I've been having trouble getting GNU+Linux running on my main desktop because of the dumbass driver issues with newer Nvidia cards. I'll be dropping Windows entirely once I upgrade to an AMD card.

t. Microsoft employee.

Install gentoo.

Newer cards sometimes have problems on Linux. I don't own an RX card, and I don't use Ubuntu, so YMMV.

If that doesn't fix it:

If that STILL doesn't fix it, install the AMDGPU-PRO driver.

> wget –referer=support.amd.com 'www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ubuntu/amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261.tar.xz'

This post might be of help:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1697487#p1697487

Alternatively, install 17.10 since it will be a bit more up-to-date, and stay on that until.18.04 in April.

You are off by 25 years.

From: Rob Pike Subject: Q: moving directories? hard links?Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:56:46 -0700On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:> Linux has slowly become Windows-liteExcept for the lite part.-rob

I tried to go in recover mod before, and the same issue happened. And how could i use the terminal if I cant boot Kubuntu for starters, and obviously i cant do that on Windows? I will try to install the latest version.

This would be nice.

Have you guys tried to play TF2 on Fedora? I can't get more than 10 fps ;_;.

Do you guys know where I can get Stardew Valley 1.2 or higher for free.

TF2 runs like fucking shit on just about all hardware. That said, I don't know about Fedora, but I get about 20~40 FPS depending on the map on a x220 running Slackware. Probably could get autistic and get it running better, but I don't feel like dicking with cfg autism. I think there's a memory leak problem, though, because it likes to crash after playing it long enough. My suspicion is that the hacky launch commands I'm using to get the pyro's flames to show up are the cause, but it's anyone's guess at this point.

You shouldn't be having problems in recovery mode. If you dig through the ArchLinux forum thread I posted, there are some edits you can make to the GRUB options that may bypass the error long enough for you to enter the commands I posted.

That said, it's probably better just to install 17.10. Maybe even install one of the other flavors and install kde-desktop after.

What's your hardware? What drivers are you using? Also use rutracker. I can find a lot of Linux games there.

This is 1.2.33: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F24EC2B902F66A18FEC18CC52AF718E4FBF19E99&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt2.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=Stardew%20Valley%20%5BL%5D%20%5BRUS%20%2F%20ENG%20%2F%20MULTI7%5D%20(2016)%20(1.2.33)%20%5BGOG%5D

N O G A M E S
O

G
A
M
E
S

i5 - 6200
Intel HD 520.
Intel HD Drivers.
I talked to steam support and they told me to install Ubuntu, I guess Fedora just sucks for Valve games..
Actually I already downloaded from Rutracker, but thanks man.

I'm using a version of windows that I've hacked/tweaked greatly over the years until it's at a point where it's perfect for me, does everything I want and more.

Recently (and strictly out of curiosity) I tried Linux and, although it was stable, it didn't have anywhere near the flexibility, functionality and mod-ability of what I'm using right now. I was completely frustrated with its unusability after one day.

But no games

The last time I tried to game on Linux was about a year ago, running Medieval War 2 on a native Steam install. It was not very impressive. Add the buggy Steam install/run issue and it just gets too frustrating.

Been running Ubuntu since 9.04, and switched to Ubuntu MATE after Unity. Problems have been little to none. For any new Linux user, I strongly suggest picking up a cheapo used laptop from eBay and running the distro of your choice from that. I was able to find two HP EliteBook 8760w mobile workstations for $425 a few months ago. Plenty of used 8760w units out there, and replacement parts are also plentiful, but just about any dual-core laptop will be fine.

I will be checking out the 18.04 Alpha 1 on January 4th. The long-awaited death of Unity will be a day long remembered.

oh yeah…
< linuxtor.org/
enjoy!

This. Also when you install GZDoom, do this in the terminal to get sound working.

zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_GZDoom_on_Linux#Debian.2FUbuntu

They said Ubuntu because it's officially supported by them. Try updating drivers with Intel's tool: 01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/intel-graphics-update-tool-linux-os-v2.0.5

Just select Fedora 25.

< profit

makes sense they would adopt linux,

So Holla Forums, are DirectX 11 games finally fully playable on WINE?

Yes. Not all games guaranteed to work correctly though.

Is this a troll? Any given Linux distro is infinitely more tweakable than any Windows OS ever. And they're officially supported, too. They're extensions/plugins/packages, not 'mods' or hacks to wrangle the OS into functioning the way you want.

I'm not talking about just the UI, but the out-of-the-box support for keyboard mapping just about any function. When my backspace key broke, it was as simple as editing a text file to rebind my Insert key to it, and then changing it back when I got a replacement. Config files are all plaintext and they're always in the same place, so they're easily transferred and synchronized between machines. Most distros can run on any hardware from about 1999 to today, if you know what to do. Linux is exactly what you make of it.

Just go online and look up guides for customizing XFCE or KDE, since they're the most flexible. Give it a good honest shot for a few months by dual booting and only booting into Windows for the things you absolutely cannot do and cannot find a decent replacement for.

Well, the guy claims

CAN YOU READ THIS ?
Olny 55% of plepoe can. my gamgitng RPASOWSE RLOLFULLY!!!!!! POWER GAMING!!! OWOWWOPOOOWHWO Popoowpeoreodp poypo Lboy nllviD!I!A!EPIC!!!!!

im using that now, but the mouse feels horrible, anyway to fix that?

A few options:

What.

XFCE or go home. MATE ain't bad, though

I still prefer XFCE for a de but really both XFCE and MATE just werx 99.99% of the time.

kde has been home for me for a long time, though admittedly it will on occasion set my PC on fire
but besides that it works wonderfully and follows a beautiful design

how is xfce lately, those screenies are beautiful, they did the swtich to qt right?

MATE MASTER RACE

I've never heard of XFCE moving to Qt, but LXDE is with LXQt. XFCE can look good if you give it the right theme and icon set, especially because flat is the 'in' look right now. Numix and GNOME-Wine are my preference.

i wish the mouse look was good like in Doom

pick one. Window managers are the true master race. My daily driver is i3 right now, but I'm thinking about switching to dwm because i3 is kinda bloated.

Anyone succesfully remove systemd on ubuntu 16.04? I'm following this guide without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_an_Ubuntu_Xenial_installation#Rip_out_systemd
But when following the second last step I get permission denied even when sudo.

Arc-Dark is pretty good too.

There's always antiX is you want a debian-based distro without systemd.

I'm mostly opting for Ubuntu just because of all the support and packages it gets. How much different is debian? I'm not gonna do anything fancy, just install packages and stuff. Also main difference between this and Devuan? Why one over the other?

Debian is what Ubuntu is derived from. It has has two big draws over Ubuntu.

I also tend to get better performance on Debian, but I'm not sure why. You can still add PPAs on Debian like you can on Ubuntu, but it's not officially supported.

So if you want a Debian-based system without systemd, you have a few major options.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
If you find that the Debian packages are too old, change your sources.list from stable to unstable and add the SparkyLinux repos.

Tries to be a drop-in Debian replacement minus systemd. I hear development is slow, and it looks that way, since their latest release is still based on Jessie. If you want to use Devuan's unstable version without accidentally reintroducing systemd, read this.
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/Ceres-without-Systemd

Lightweight, maybe too lightweight. Use this if you're on really low end hardware or you don't mind extra tweaking. I believe it's based on Debian Unstable out of the box. Also, not entirely systemd free. It's included, but unused. Decide how much you care about that.

My advice is just to try them all in a virtual machine, if you have the hardware.

An unfortunate chain of events
I couldn't be happier that I swapped.

Are you joking?

No wait, it's just worthless updates past 2017.

Please don't lie about shit like that.

Officially neither Ryzens nor Skylakes/Baby Lakes/Coffee Lakes support Windows 7 anymore.

That's officially bullshit without proof that they literally don't boot.

I'm guessing it's because you had problems with dependencies. I made a script to automate that process
github.com/Managor/install-deps.sh/blob/master/install-deps.sh
Use it if you want.

Sure fine, I can download some fucking drivers that I need to use during the installation process and make it work, but I was lazy at the moment and somehow going extempore on Linux seemed easier.

And the last straw.

Overall, the experience of using any given Linux desktop is more enjoyable than any version of Windows. There are some things I can't do. Not everything works in Wine, and there was a definite learning curve (like that time I ran chown on /bin/ like a fuckhead).

But I'll trade some nonessentials for the knowledge that my machine and operating system are MINE, and not something I'm merely allowed access to.

"Unsupported" doesn't mean "won't boot". You can run a lot of games under the system requirements, but if it breaks or causes issues you're on your own because that's not the hardware they target.

Lying about new x86 cpus not functioning with old os's doesn't make me want to use loonix when I already use loonix, it pisses me off nigger.

In 2009 Windows 7 did this thing where it could overwrite the BIOS of CD/DVD players which it did at random. First 3 times I thought it where the DVD players that fucked up until a college teacher told me it was Windows 7, he was even assed enough to show me. He was the only teacher that used only Linux related shit and he basically ran the whole CS/IT department when it came to the technical side of things, he was also the only teacher that knew everything about anything without even having a diploma. Also the only one that cared about his students and even made his own assignments and guides. So I highly respected the guy.
I thought why not try and see why he thinks Linux is the better deal, so I went with it and never really looked back, my shitty school laptop was faster and more stable now and I was able to get shit done more quickly.

Also became good friends with said teacher over the years.

well they technically work but since I recently had the pleasure of upgrading a PC of a relative to ryzen I can say that it is indeed a headache.
it killed the install that was already there and as mentioned the installing will only function if you slipstream the drivers into the ISO.

So not games

thought I'd share, rutracker mega thread with GoG linux releases
doesn't contain all of them, individual torrents are linked
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5248621

Some games, GOG releases work well on most rigs, there are a few open source clones like OpenTTD.

Hated the ideal W10 spying. Installed linux before it came out. Generally been fairly happy, even with the headaches it's caused.

Same fag. Every thread.

Not to mention every emulator under the sun.

Holla Forums everybody

I almost forgot HDoom was a thing. You can even stack it on FreeDoom for extra autism.

That's gamers in general. It's the sort of thing that happens when you let a hobby become a lifestyle.

>>>Holla Forums

Did the neckbeard hurt your feelings?

If Linux had games, there would be no reason to ever use windows.

Speaking of lewd games that run on Linux: Violated Heroine is mostly working in the open source EasyRPG engine now.

Getting the rtp files is a bit of a hassle though.

The problem isn't games, the problem is that the compositors suck ass. LXDE/openbox with compton is pretty fucking good with compton set up right.

Compton hasn't been updated since 2013. Even Xfce's compositor does a better job these days (if your using OSS drivers).

It's really not worth playing at all. The base is all there for an excellent porn game, but it just lacks in anything to make it good.

Beats most RPGMaker fair. And I've been deliberately avoiding getting the ginger brownie molested, so the H stuff isn't much of a factor.

You mean if you have a gpu that has a recent update that's stable it supports vsync. Xfce's does jack shit.

It does vsync and gets the fuck out of the way for games. What the hell else am I supposed to need it to do?

Share the files of that game mate.

Violated Heroine is freeware (has been for at least a decade and some change). To run it in EasyRPG, you'll need the rtp files. You can head over to the /hgg/ thread to find out how to get them.

tlwiki.org/?title=Violated_Heroine

please tell me more,
already got VH working with most rpgm vydia thru wine, but it never hurts to have an alternative

EasyRPG is to RPGMaker 2000 and 2003 what GemRB is to the old infinity engine games or OpenMW for Morrowind. It's not 100% finished, but there are a lot of games you can complete in it, like OFF.

easyrpg.org/

It's also fully open source under the GPLv3 and various CC licenses for the rtp replacement.

github.com/EasyRPG/

Star Control 2 is like fucking crack even today. The only things that are even better autism traps that you can find in most repos are Naev and Endless Sky.

It's getting a sequel please use archive.is/articles/2017-10-12-after-25-years-star-control-2s-original-creators-are-working-on-a-proper-sequel

Oh fuck me in the asss archive.fo/BuxwS

I dont know well how to install WINE, plus gallium 9 and whatever is needed, in my recently installed Ubuntu Mate system. Are there any guides to do it that are easy to understand? It somewhat overwhelming

Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and enter this.

If you're on a 64-bit system, this will allow you to download 32-bit packages.

You'll probably want to install PlayOnLinux. It's a frontend for wine that will make managing your games much easier.

playonlinux.com/en/download.html

I've seen you post a few times in this thread. Do you have a Discord profile or something where I can get a hold of you and give you better help?

I beg to differ. I have to install compton to get rid of the screen tearing. Editing fullpipecomposition etc does something, but not enough.

Erm…. You might want to install through this guide wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

The wine version in the ubuntu repos is pretty outdated

wget -nc dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
>sudo apt-add-repository >dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/

but do you really need another compositor or constant updates?
it's pretty good
as long you're not expecting multiple windows to move smoothly

It's a good idea, but if you use PlayOnLinux, you can download the latest versions through that and use different version on individual virtual drives.

Why the staging version instead of the latest version? And I did that before (except using the devel version), its just that im not sure what to install, and how, next, plus how to use it

Save yourself some headpains and start using something Arch based.

i think POL doesn't really have much gallium nine versions, mostly staging. Staging has CSMT patches that should help offload shit to other threads of your cpu to improve performance, and fuckery mostly for dx11 games.

Gallium nine is used for dx9 games, and they are separate patches, id recommend seeking a repository with gallium nine and use that for your system, and use POL to download staging versions if needed.

So alink to a repository would be fine, and knowing this, then should I need to unistall all wine stuff then. Any trick to do this?

=WINE DOESN'T WORK FOR ANY GAME I WANT TO PLAY==
LINUX IS A MEME

You can't even redtext right, so of course you wouldn't be able to set up wine.

t. microsoft shill

Welcome to the comfy zone

been playing terraria to soothe my autism but it keeps hardlocking on ubuntu and causing me to restart, I can't live like this

Thanks, well thought out. Seems when trying to run a systemd free distro you can't really win.

are you fucking retarded?

Heard some promising things with Artix but I haven't had the chance to try it out myself just yet.

You bet, i also tried Manjaro and ALSA was a mess to handle. Uninstalled in 10 minutes. I have Artix waiting on a to-do list as well, someday, but not today

Happy to have you. Xubuntu is a good system and the fact that you already know how to install shit is a good sign. If you can get it, I'd recommend Lutris. It's a graphical launcher that will automatically download and set up some emulators for you, though you may end up having to set some up by hand.

Video related, but it's a little old. They've made a lot of improvements.

Manjaro is easy and is compatible with recent hardware.

see this
sure let me get out the credit card to pay for a tracker

Anyone? Want to know if I can just install another version of Winr, or if there will be conflict, an dneed to make a clean unistall of wine.

Use purge, delete all the config files etc

ALL Feral ports use wrappers. Maybe now that they are changing from DX>OGL wrappers to DX>Vulkan based wrappers, we'll see better performance.

Agreed. The classic (shitskin) Lara is best Lara.

Speaking of the caramel goddess, the FOSS OpenTomb engine is still making progress if anyone wanted to fuck around with it.

github.com/opentomb/opentomb

It's just a bit of a shame he has had less time to work on it since he decided to remake Monster Girl Quest in the Doom engine of all fucking things. I wish the lewd bastard luck though.

how hard is it to get LAN games working with Linux? I've got a couple of old xp desktops that I want to repurpose and have some LAN games not sure the best way to go about it.
also does anyone know how do you make friends?

What's wrong with OpenTomb? Having an open source engine for all these games seems like a pretty good idea to me.

I'd        her        

It helps that I've been playing with GNU+Linux for a while now through Virtual Machine. Honestly, though, it's not that hard to figure out how to install things. There's usually a wiki or blog post with commands you can just copy and paste into your terminal. Also, protip for anyone coming over to debian-based distros like Ubuntu or Linux Mint: Synaptic is leagues better than any stupid "software store" they give you. I might consider Lutris. I wouldn't mind a front-end just for Mednafen, honestly. I don't really mind opening different software to run different games, though.

I'm trying to put together an infographic for good examples of games that run on Linux. Anything I'm missing?

Also, did someone say classic Lara?

Usually it's about as easy as it is on Windows. I've never had any problems.. If there's any wacky shit you need to do like .dll overrides or using a particular version of Wine, someone probably already figured it out and put it on WineHQ.

Can't help with the friends part, sorry.

Also, there is/was another project called OpenLara. Yeah.

RetroArch nigga.

I decided to ditch RetroArch ever since I saw one of the main guys behind it throw a infant-like temper tantrum in their IRC. It was when Sega asked them if they might use their software for when they release their classics on phones, but Sega ended up deciding they didn't want to use their software, and would roll something on their own. And I haven't looked back, since.

Euro truck simulator 2's linux version is basically the same as the windows version save for the multiplayer mod being windows only.
Dwarf Fortress runs a bit better on linux because linux has much lower cpu and memory overhead, and the cpu scheduler won't put other tasks on the same core when you have a multi core system like windows does.
3D era GTA is more compatible with wine than modern versions of windows, lots of subtle bugs disappear and the game doesn't stutter like it does on vista or later.
Minecraft also runs better because of the lower cpu/memory overhead, and the fact that java is made with linux first in mind. The map also loads faster on hard drives because the game is constantly storage bottlenecked and linux has better caching policies + better hard drive performance due to clever storage scheduling.
In my experience source games run worse on linux than windows, I played portal 2, fistful of frags and insurgency and they all work better on windows save for load times.

Just about any cpu/memory/storage bottlenecked game will give you better performance on linux unless the port is bad, if the game is gpu bottlenecked which is very common windows normally wins.
Linux also has miscellaneous stuff like generally lower input latency and higher quality networking, people also say stuttering is less common but I haven't noticed it.
Linux casually has shit gpu performance which is what matters for games, but I have a potato netbook (1ghz dual core cpu, integrated gpu, 2GB of ram) which I use when I'm not on my desktop and it absolutely can't run windows but the specs never get in my way when editing text and watching videos on linux.

That's weird. They've always been better for me, and Valve's official benchmarks back when they first started investing in Linux always showed it on par with or surpassing Windows.

well, what do you expect from a private tracker? they're private for a reason
they're only taking this opportune time to jew out
OR you can go through the usual channels and beg for a invite from someone

agreed

I can play on linux just fine with the exception of high demanding graphically or triple A titles, like
but that is due to the directX/opengl differences, when a game is properly developed for opengl you don't issues like that

God, I miss caramel Lara.

The performance gap comes down to Feral's use of wrappers. Vulkan is way better than OpenGL for wrapping DX though, so the gap should be smaller.

hopefully so, but either way they probably wont go back to update older games
I thought vulkan would only be really good for games developed specifically with it

What do you guys use for screen video capture?

Vokoscreen, plus Openshot or ffmpeg for converting/editing.

Not a problem with a decent compositor. Hell, even the default compositor in Xfce doesn't tear anymore.

me too

OpenRC2
It's a Foss engine for roller coaster tycoon 2

lol
what about i3

psychonauts has one advantage over all ports, no mouse acceleration.

well, techinically it isn't a desktop environment, so no knife… or rather, a knife without handle

I don't think it's happened to me in years. I had almost forgotten it was a thing.

What are you doing nigger

ew lad

I'd agree that old Lara (or TR the game) were pretty good
but in my opinion the nu ones hold nothing to them either
they managed to made nu Lara believable and still a fucken babe with sexy british accent

You know classic Lara was originally supposed to be South American right? That's medium brown at least.

>Summoning the Inca autist

At least come up some new shit, you autist.

Guys over on /hgg/ are talking about remaking this in Unity (retards).

Might be me using anti aliasing and causing a gpu bottleneck.

Games still being worked on. Also Unity sucks fucking dick.

I'm thinking of oddworld new n tasty and portal

it's so fucking good, tho

VH is shit why bother you are just the same old slut being a meat toilet… kinda gay really.

GPU Passthrough Guide Dump, its rough as fuck.

This will be for Debian Stretch

GUIDE ON HOW TO RUN GNU/LINUX AND GET VIDYA AT THE SAME TIME

If you have any issues refer to these two links which includes an older but more clean version of what I said and a video.

forum.level1techs.com/t/play-games-in-windows-on-linux-pci-passthrough-quick-guide/108981

Requirements: Two Monitors, Keyboard, Two Mice, Motherboard with VT-D support, i7 with VT-D/AMD Equivalent before Ryzen (i5 maybe but it will kind of be shit & Ryzen is not there yet but you can try), Integrated Graphics + GPU or Two GPU's, Windows ISO, Synergy, and Autism.

I know Windows 10 works but Windows 7 works but its more of a pain. The only bug I have found is that I have to restart my machine and then switch to ich6 audio before then switching it back to ich9 once the machine starts and then stops.

cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso
rufus.akeo.ie/

IF YOU NEED THE ACS PATCH PAY ATTENTION

>Go to aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/?h=linux-vfio right click add-acs-overrides.patch and save it

> Type in patch -p1 <

vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

then save

>Download these drivers for your VM but keep them as an iso fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/latest-virtio/virtio-win.iso

>Change first line from to " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

>In you need to add in the middle

inbetween and

>Download this ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1 deb8u6_amd64.deb and sudo dpkg -i to get synergy to work properly on debian

and it should work if you restart the program

Your IGP and discrete card have to have their own IOMMU groups. If your full PCIe slot and your IGP share a bus you are shit out of luck, and you will only be able to turn one on at a time.

No you just go into your BIOS settings and use the ACS patch.

well I was not the one calling her shitskin
I do love me some brown sugar, aka

I changed it to have another link and that you need to enable intel graphics in BIOS

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Oh is that safe now? Last time I saw that it (doing PCI passthrough using Xen about three years ago), it had big red warning lights all over it.

vfio.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/iommu-groups-inside-and-out.html
It's not just a "do it and it'll work". You could cause all kinds of bad times friend ahead.

You can avoid getting raped. I basically consider it a challenge.

At least a few anons have the sense to recommend Godot instead.

In other words, use Windows.

No its more secure then running it native and allows you to get your cake and eat it to.

No it's not because you literally are running it native. Just with a fat bloated Linux kernel as a hypervisor. The "GPU Pasthrough is more secure!" Shit is one of the biggest examples of blatant misinformation spread by the Freetard community

You mean it's being worked on in the original engine? That might mean that moving to EasyRPG once the editor is finished would be a better idea.

Hey! We don't condone Windows usage however indirectly. Either get shit working in Wine of forget about it.

Yeah, I don't have the time it's going to take to get Fallout: New Vegas working in OpenMW.

Had fun. Installed Skyrim on wine, but didn't get the modding tools to work so I created a frankenstein monster.

It was a long path to get to this point as I couldn't find any place that had a working solution.

You can just install most mods manually.

Why are you using wine when Megaton Edition has a native linux version?

If you mean just using mods, Mod Organizer works good in Wine.

nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?

If you mean the actual tools for making mods, you probably did the right thing.

they never stop working on it in nihon
wertern anons want to port it over to a more recent rpgm though

godot is nice, I like that

Amazing

That would be retarded. Modern RPGMaker is a glorified browser engine.

Wine is really getting awesome lately. Mesa too.

Only MV. XP, VX, or VX Ace would be fine. VH isn't worth it though.

Faggot decided he's going with MV since he already paid for it. Not going to waste any more time with him or his little doomed project.

Is there a way of doing that only with one monitor?

ffmpeg and scripts for recording.
ffmpeg for editing.
ffmpeg for converting.

Your best bet is using a monitor with two inputs, like a display port and DVI, then using the DVI on your IGP and the display port on your graphics card, then switch between the inputs as you want.

Do any of you know what settings I need in order to get filesharing/filesystem passthrough to work?

I've never touched qemu-kvm before but I want to migrate from virtbox since one of the applis I require needs spoofed hardware to bypass drm and qemu seems more configurable for that end.

not a meme for me. gpu passthrough works flawlessly (including HDMI sound). oddly where I am having problems is isolating my blu ray / controller for passthrough.

seems like UDEV keeps taking over and binding the controller to the ahci driver even though it's properly setup with vfio-pci like my GPU. the closest i got to blu rays working wasn't even with passthrough it was using the scsi virtio driver connected /dev/sr0 in raw mode. that way passes some information to the VM like the disc label, size, etc but DVDs and blurays still not playable.

GPU passthrough to Win7 VM seems to be the ideal setup for /scurv/ dogs

Need a free as in freedom instant messenger for loonix that can send files and respects my privacies.

Tried Tox but it can't send files, it won't open my pictures folder and I can't drag and drop. Using Mint 17.3. I was gonna try Ring but it runs on Ubuntu 16.04.

I tried passthrough. It was allright.
Eventually gave up and just got a KVM switch and dedicated one PC to games only.
However, I did get an old Dell optiplex for 50 bucks and turned it into a PFSense router to block 99% of internet traffic to the windows box (because fuck you that's why).

Keybase

IRC.

i guess the underage b&s never even knew about DCC to begin with

No thanks.

Was my first thought but I don't know how secure and private it is. Want to stress I'm not doing anything illegal, just don't want my shit seen is all.

Couldn't you use tox for chat and use ipfs to get files to the other person?

I prefer to use avisynth

solus has put alot of effort into gaming performance and steam integration, take a look at that.

Opus Magnum is REALLY good. Definitely something you should consider.

How does one choose a distro? Based on what? I've looked at distrowatch and it looks like a lot of distros are pretty much the same, they're based on Ubuntu or Arch and there's a few indepent distros. If I were to move or try a distro I'd like to try opensuse because it has a cool sounding name and I've read a lot of anons use it. But ultimately aren't all distros sort of the same? They're all Linux.

Yes.

By what one prefers and by testing them out. I used Ubuntu for years but it kept breaking on me and the forced pulseaudio, spyware and systemD shit I disliked, also Unity came long and that was the final nail for me so I tried Arch and I've sticked with Arch based distro's ever since. The packet manager that Arch has is a fucking God send for me and AUR is great as well, though I use Artix now which is Arch without systemd.

No. Void, Debian and Arch for example differ a lot. On a kernel level they might not, that depends on what kernel you use though. Biggest difference is probably the package managing and the updating of said packages. You can make them look at the same but behind that they will differ.

That's the kernel, not the distribution itself. Even so there are many different variations of the kernel.

Different versions of the main kernel I mean. Linux-zen, Linux-ck, Linux-lts, Linux-hardened etc all have their own tweaks for specific usage.

Nah, in practice they're not. Just as an example (yes I've used arch based as well) I've used custom respins of *buntu that was much better than the official *buntu. Despite people who never used it at all either virtually or in bare metal claiming it can't be all that different it's just loonix with different skins, or the official version should theoretically be better because it's "official".
It's something best tried out for yourself based on what fits best for you tbh.

Unity is getting dropped afaik. Canonical is probably still sticking with systemDicks, on the small side of things they might have actually listened to all the wrath against that amazon search bullshit. The failed Convergence thing might have burned them bad too, but that type of shit burned a lot of companies including heh win10 phones. On the large side of cancer, they still seem to want to go fairly large into IoT crap.

I know but it still will be stuck with the other shit I mentioned.

Yeah I have a 16.04 LTS based distro on one machine but I still find 14.04 to be more stable with some setups. Waiting to see if their next LTS will be as good as 14.04 was.

I haven't had any bad luck with most general audio playback with buntu or arch or nearly anything else, except for one case with an old soundblaster card. Nothing would stick properly there. Then again it was also on a really obsolete and dying Pentium3 dellbox that I ran just for shits and giggles.

Windows

Linux

Linux is shit and inferior to Windows 10 in every single way.

You might aswell be using a console if that's your entire arguement.

You simplified and downplayed his legit gripe with linux. You're the retarded one here. Equaling windows to console would make sense if there would be no performance differences between the two.

Xbox

Windows

Windows is shit and inferior to Xbox in every single way.

Replied to an user without thinking about designated OS for a specific hardware platform. You're the retarded one here. Equaling [insert OS] to console would make sense if there would be no performance differences between hardware and OS specifications.

Too bad people only buy Personal Computers for customizations.

(((OY VEY!)))

Pajeets please, at least try to update your script.

tfw kizuna ai uses Xbox Kinect & several Windows tools instead of blender and loss

I use Arch Linux, don't play much vidya on it though. Just some Insurgency to kill time.

That's wrong. Also most Linux distro's are now easier and faster to configure and install then any Windows. Stop falling for stupid maymays.

See at least that is more of a legit gripe with loonix instead of the stale bait of "u have to use console and sheeit" from the 90s that pajeetards still thinks is true. FOSS 3D tools are improving, and industry standard stuff like Maya is on loonix for how many years already now. But iirc audio video editing tools can use some more boost.
The rest of the bait that pajeet threw out is just so low effort sad it's barely worth a direct (You).

The FOSS ones at least.

The fuck is going on here? If you want to see what true "easy to install" looks like, give OpenBSD a try.

Windows spyware shit.

Had a windows 8 laptop during college. Once they forced me to upgrade to 8.1 and it broke a number of drivers I had to reinstall I got jaded with Microsoft. I knew a guy back in college who used Linux and would play around in virtualbox with the distros, even installed ubuntu on a friends computer when he destroyed his OS.

Didn't do anything with that after a couple years but recently I had recieved a desktop from a relative that was a junker. Pulled out some old DVD's I'd burned and put mint on it. Got it up and running and since I already had been using a number of open source software since they are free and outside of some compatibility issues with .pptx files and Libreoffice I never had major problems.

Finally last month my 8.1 rig would no longer boot to the desktop, I got another laptop and just put mint on it and I've been fine ever since. I do plan to get another windows rig later on but it will run either 7 or 8, I refuse to upgrade to 10 and I would just need it for running games that I don't feel like taking the time to run on linux if they do work.

Seriously, though… anyone have tips on properly setting up passthrough with a second on-board AHCI controller?

I just want to play DVD and BluRay in the same VM as I do my Windows gaming.

Most IRC clients let you setup DH key exchange and whatever cypher. It's not a required server feature. There is a server feature to anonymize your host with DNS masking. Might even be a feature to randomly assign anonymous nicknames.

So in that case, you're one shady mother fucker! You do realize CIA and FBI patrol theses boarders? I bet they've back traced your IP address already and have a swat team to smack your ass to the pavement, and cuff you.

I hope you get maximum sentence criminal-chan. Write to us when you get your first butt rape.

LXDE isn't quite fair. It's window manager, Openbox, has a functionality that just about no other window managers can make use of.

Is there a way to install Wine that won't pull in SystemD? Do I need to install from binaries or something?

Try using a better repository.

Openhexagon is pretty fun.

Speaking of I installed i3 on some potato computer.
Surprisingly usable, I'll install it on my main machine and benchmark games on i3 vs KDE. The tiling aspect really makes multitasking faster than autistically dragging windows around and knowing keyboard shortcuts helps.

Compile it from source, tard.