Post-game content

Just finished Super Mario Odyssey and was shocked by the sheer volume of post-game content. Given how Jewy Nintendo has been over the past 10 years, there's surprisingly little amiibo shit and it gives you just a mountain of shit to do after the game is beaten, even if you aren't going for collecting all the moons and purple coins. It's not like there's another half of a game hiding after the main game ends, but it's definitely enough to keep you going for a while.
It got me thinking, why do so few games have good, included, non-DLC post-game content? Even Zelda on the Switch has next to nothing to do after you've beaten the game other than banal exploration, shrine hunting, and finding all the stupid fucking seeds. I know it's tough to sell a game on post-game content, but I'd still expect the occasional game to do it, and it seems like most games at the most just give you some little trinket after the main game, or something small, rather than backloading it with anything that will give you hours of extra entertainment.

How many other games released more recently (like last 10 years or so) are backloaded with tons of post-game content? It's so satisfying to play a game through and think it's over only to get a mountain of cool shit unlocked.

Hollow Kight has had 2 Free Content Update patches,
that's a total of 6 more bosses, 1 trial area, 4 new equipment charms. The new content also counts as percentage completion, so full completion is now 107%
They stated they will have yet another free content patch in the works.

Terraria has a lot of post-game if you count their free content updates too.

If you like post-game content Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire has a shitload of it

Pokemon BW2, HGSS and Platinum are far better examples tbh.

so aside from the hub worlds, is super mario oddessy just linear obstacle course after linear obstacle course?

Wanna see me score five goals in a row?
Wanna see me do it again?

Yes.

I hope you aren't talking about the shitty Zinnie story.

Have you even seen any footage from the game?
The fuck are you on about

No. That's Super Mario Galaxy and 3D World. Odyssey is more like 64 and Sunshine with the entire game mostly being exploring a smaller set of large, open levels. The only thing that could really be considered a "hub world" really is Mushroom Kingdom, which is post-game content, and even that's just a hub for bosses really.

The Etrian Odyssey games have a bunch of post game content. Several bosses, an entire extra stratum that generally takes much longer to explore than any one stratum before it since it's much harder, and from 3 (technically 2) onward you can raise the level cap by beating the post game bosses. Then at the end there's a stupid hard boss unless you build your team to counter it.

W101 and Bayonetta 2 is packed with post game content, aside from the obvious replaying for better rankings.
Tons of challenges, characters/outfits, weapons and moves become only available after you beat the game on certain difficulties at least once.
None of these games received any kind of dlc, at least those two came immediately to my mind.
I‘m glad that Odyssey went a similar route and hope Nintendo keeps doing that.
And I agree, BotW despite its huge world didn‘t really unlock something after beating it except for tougher enemies on the overworld and the challenge-mode was dlc.

I wonder though, „post game“ wasn‘t really something that even earlier games did much.
Most of the time you kept playing a finished game because of doing a better highscore, multiplayer or enjoyed the game so much, you didn‘t mind or actually wanted to experience the exact same game.

I think post-game can feel just as cheap and tacked on like with multiplayer-modes lately in games if not implemented well.

Don't forget Conditional Drops. A lot of FOEs and early game bosses have insane conditionals that you can only really achieve with a Post-game team (Such as "Defeat Enemy with only one Party Member", "Defeat Enemy in 1 turns", etc.) It's a really cool way to really make early game bosses more interesting to fight.

I also love how the newer games have New Game Pluses which let you choose what specifically to carry over and what to reset, it makes replaying so wonderful.

Going for 100% really isn't that bad. I'm probably 25~ hours in and have about 750 moons.

You don't even need post-game for that, major FOEs respawn after a while so you can just go back a few dungeons later.

The game had an extra dungeon that was almost as long as the main game. The first video is the main game, the second one is the post game dungeon, also the post game dungeon has almost no cutscenes(from what I heard, never played the post game), whereas the main game has a lot of cutscenes.

You need to do the "post game" dungeon to get the best ending.

Hollow Knight is also a tumblrgame just like Undertale which youbassume the role of a non-binary gendered character with they/them pronouns.

>Secret behind waterfall.
If there's a a better post-game that exists, I'm not aware of it.

I know, but at the end of the game, I don't know how I managed to so, but I had such a crappy weapon that I couldn't defeat the third form of the final boss in the normal game. I didn't want to restart the game and use a guide to find the best weapons, so I watched the ending on Youtube, and I also saw the ending of the final dungeon.
I also heard that Lunar 2 has a 5 hour epilogue, after beating the final boss with dungeons that are much harder than the regular ones.

once you beat the game you can just grind as much coins as possible and buy as much moons as you want
there's better games with better post-game content

I'm fairly sure you can only buy one moon per shop

nope, you couldn't get the super secret ending without buying more than ~100 extra moons

Megaman Battle Network games have always had fantastic post-game content. 3 and 6 are the best ones.

The western versions of 6 had post-game content stripped. They removed an entire area from the graveyard, and a sidequest involving Django.

You're not male? Or some kind of asexually reproducing insect?

I think the total limit is 117 extra moons, not including one moon per shop.

I guess nobody played 3D World if they're surprised by this.

Nobody played 3D world

seems like a lot of people are saying it's infinite.

3d world did post-game better in my opinion

The protag doesn't have a gender because it's a fucking bug made of magic goo.

If it's infinite, you can get more than 999 moons.

don't respond, that same retard shits up every hollow knight thread and ignores every explanation

The protag is made out of magic and he's not supposed to have a gender because he's Hollow
It has nothing to do with identity politics.
Holy fuck I'm tired of Holla Forums being equally as susceptible as SJWs to the smallest shit and playing identity politics card, getting upset at the smallest shit just to dismiss a game. I swear, i hope its limited to shitposters.

But Hornet was also a vessel that gained identity and gave it up because she knew she was too weak. Yours was just made without emotion. It's implied male

the rhythm isn't that bad, play rosalina if your brain is too retarded to deal with a fast beat

Hornet was molded with an identity, hence she was weaker as a hollow vessel for the radiance
Her gender is merely one of the aspects of her identity. nothing else.

Protag is made without emotion or identity.
From the vague game lines we only know he is made without Will and without mind. The latter root of an identity.

How many times do you faggots need to go over this.
Androgynous characters and deliberately ambiguous characters have been a thing for a long time don't surrender shit to those ideologue retards.

Mario 3D World's post-game content was pretty impressive. After the final boss, you got another set of levels to go through, and after beating that set you get another set of levels, so you end up thinking that the game's ended twice before it actually does. There are also secret levels hidden behind requirements like collecting a certain amount of stars, stamps, etc.

Other than that:
I could probably think of more but those are some decent examples off the top of my head.

Came here to mention those two games. I've still got lots of movesets/characters to unlock in TW101 despite having played through it twice and I've spent ages messing around with the other characters in Bayo 2, plus the Lost Chapters, which are kind of like a pseudo-Bloody Palace. They're both great for post-game content.

You just damaged your credibility.

The "post game" in odyssey feels lackluster imo. They just removed some challenges from each level and unlocked them after the game ended. Then they tacked on gay boss remixes and the expected final platforming gauntlet (which didn't have enough challenge).

It would have been nice if they did a different version of each world with difficult enemy placement and new platforming (maybe a night-time version with new ghost platforms and the excuse that the world was invaded by ghosts from the dark side of the moon aka boos (where were the boos in odyssey? zombies r gay)).
Or they could have had peach get lost in a painting when she gets back to her castle and then you get to play a mini-mario-64. Really disappointed they didn't make bob-omb battlefield an extra stage.

It's basically 64 levels with doors inside them that lead to linear mini-courses, but it's a good mix of both.
My main problem with the game is it doesn't have much challenging platforming. The "just mario" platforming is especially poor (though the controls are A+) because each level is mainly focused on one new possession. They don't feature signature possessions across levels, so they're not developed over a series of levels. So, there isn't much time to build up the difficulty curve for each possession, and the level design never gets really challenging.
It's still worth a buy and better than galaxy imo.
64>odyssey>galaxy 1/2>3D world>3D land
I never played sunshine

They're going to add a character roster for 5 dollars each.

What's wrong with ORAS?
I thought you could fly to like new post-game areas and shit

Fuck off, retard, it literally isn't just because the OP is Shitendon't.

Kys drone

Watching vinesauce makes me understand modern generation of cuckolding cuck cucks.

I'm enjoying the collectibles in Odyssey a lot more than BotW. In BotW it was just copypaste of the same couple Korok Skyrim-tier "puzzles" literally a thousand times. In Odyssey, they're almost all unique and I'm actually stuck on a few of them.

Ban this faggot mark, quick!

I bought Yakuza 0 at launch and I'm still trying to complete it 100%
Once you finish the main story it's mostly minigames bullshit but the occasional hidden storylines are very nice and refreshing

this tells me you didnt play it, the post game to ORAS was as follows. a small campaign to get Rayquaza and deoxys, then an insult to fans a small island with the battle maison, with a statue of the battle frontier, that was to be in the game.

Well, probably because it's much more common to include optional content in a way that can be accessed throughout the main campaign since more players will be able to explore it.

That said, Spacechem is a good example of an absolutely enormous amount of post-game content. The amount of scenarios unlocked after beating the game is around twice the size of the main game, it's insane.

Odyssey is intended as a flagship title, and the level of quality reflects that it has to sell the whole console. A late-gen title would not have received the same amount of love and attention.

For every Nintendo post or thread there are at least 20 retarded posts such as yours. Now go kill yourself.

Since Nintendo has just used their Mario game for this gen what's their next big title coming up? Metroid and SMT are going to take ages to finish, is it going to be the Sun and Moon remake? Xenoblade 2?

Please tell me this isn't real.

>what's their next big title coming up?
Never mind that normalfags don't give a shit about these.

Most of the moons before post game are unique but the post game ones are lame. With that said I still really liked the game. Hated the controls and weight to mario at first though.>>13744875

It isn't. Edited image by a twitter shitposter

Lost potential right there.

Stupidest fucking concept in the universe. If the game is over why do you care about any other content? Put it in to be experienced during the actual game where it belongs.

Same goes for optional content. It should be a required part of the story like the rest of the game, where it can't be missed.

BIG ITALIAN COCK

I need some of those canadian cuck images edited to italian

O shit someone found the "game journo instant 10/10" game mode.

I want to believe that's not real but with [current year] "localizations" nintendo games have been getting I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it is.

They aren't that ballsy and these are shoops for comedic and ridiculing reasons.

galaxy 2 was at least as good as galaxy 1. maybe nintendos just good at making platformers

way to meme, chum!

I learned from the best.

Are you serious?
Because the game is the mechanics, not the story. The game isn't actually over, just the story and progression of teaching mechanics.
That would completely break the pacing of the game in a lot of cases. When movie directors film scenes that they decide don't fit properly in the rest of the movie, and wind up being cut out of the final version of the film for pacing reasons, would you rather that those scenes never see the light of day, or would you rather they be included as a DVD extra?

a good learner is on the road to surpassing the master. perhaps one day youll meme supreme.

14/880 (1.5%) of Moons are collected by throwing Cappy onto things. (Roughly one per Kingdom)
4/880 (0.45%) of Moons are collected by Herding Sheep, and two of them are difficult but for the wrong reasons.
81/880 (9.2%) of Moons are collected by ground pounding, and I do agree that it was getting to be a bit much, but most of them are inoffensive and much better than the countless Moons that are just floating on the path to where you're going anyway.

Buying 119 Moons to hit 999 is like complaining you have to do 999 seconds of cuccoo dodging in ALBW for 100% - it's actually much more of an easter egg. You unlock the ability to see the Postcard (i.e. Nintendo's way of saying "you've done everything") at 880 Moons + Post-Bowser Fight. Not that it's a super good defence for buying Moons, I don't know why they thought it was a good idea. What I'm hearing is that it's apparently to unlock the Darker Side for less skillful players, but idk why less skillful players want to unlock Darker Side.

It's still a pretty damn good ratio considering that in BotW you had roughly 6 variations for Korok seeds spread out across 900 of them.

64 > Odyssey > Sunshine > Galaxy 1 and 2 > 3D World = 3D Land

oh fuck this
fuck that was a very good game.

A game is more than a set of mechanics. It's the difference between a rubber ball and the game of basketball. A game is a set of rules and goals to test a player's skill. When the game is over, the rules are over and the final goal is completed. That's why the very notion of "post-game" content is for fucking retards that grew up with "pro" reviewers who equate content with quality and sandbox simulators who have a very vague idea of what a game even is.

This is true. Post-game is a meme. It's post-story.

You're really reaching reddit intellectual-tier pedantry. A video game, in 99% of cases, has a set ending. Post game is simply what bonus content lies beyond the ending. Are you positing that the game ends not when you reach "the end" as defined by the game itself but when you stop playing it? Because that's not a reasonable view.

You play as a fucking masked bug nobody cares about the gender of a masked bug you bellend

And that is when you get 100%
That's post-story. Saying post-game is saying the game continues after the game, which is retarded.
No, I believe he is saying a game is over when you complete it, rather than when you complete it's story.

Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask.