STALKER problem

I want to start playing the stalker series but im not sure how. everybody says different things about how they should be played,
"YOU HAVE TO PLAY THEM IN A SEQUENTIAL ORDER"
"YOU HAVE TO PLAY CoP FIRST"
"YOU HAVE TO PLAY CLEAR SKY FIRST"
"YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THESE MODS TO REALLY ENJOY THE GAME"
"NO, YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THESE OTHER MODS TO REALLY ENJOY THE GAME"

wat to do Holla Forums? what do you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/.
moddb.com/mods/photo-realistic-zone-2.
moddb.com/mods/srp.
moddb.com/mods/wind-of-time/downloads/wind-of-time-13-standalone-version
metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Buy Shadows of Chernobyl, apply the official patches, and just play the damn game.

And, by "official", I mean the ones GCS made.

No one says this. There's some autism over "the authentic first time stalker experience (tm)", but really just do what says and play the damn game already. You don't miss out on anything.

Which is the best game in the series and why?

SoC vanilla is fine. Zone reclamation project fixes some bugs, if you run into problems. CS is skippable and a mess. CoP you can play vanilla no problems. I'd start with SoC, then go to CoP. Finally when you need a bigger kick, get the CoC mod.

This but play CS if you want more S.T.A.L.K.E.R content before CoC.

1. Shadow of Chernobyl with either patch 1.0005 or 1.0006 and the Zone Reclamation Project (ZRP) metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/. Optionally add PhotoRealisicZone 2 if you're a graphics whore but it's 100% unnecessary moddb.com/mods/photo-realistic-zone-2.
2. Clear Sky with whatever the last patch was and Sky Reclamation Project moddb.com/mods/srp. The game isn't as bad as everyone says but if you start hating it towards the end feel free to skip to CoP.
3. Call of Pripyat, vanilla is fine but you might want a native voices pack (though the English VA is so bad you should experience it once).

I still say SoC, despite it being the first and lacking in its sequels mechanical improvements. The SoC map of the Zone is just the right size, but also sparsely populated enough to still feel isolating despite coming across small bands of stalkers here and there. CS feels too populated with the constant back-and-forth warfare among the factions outside of the hubs. CoP only has three large but mostly dull areas to travel between. Atmospheric traveling and exploring is mostly what draws me to replay STALKER every so often, if not for CoC, SoC is probably the one I'd happily go back into every time I need my fix.

Just follow this and you'll be fine OP. Most of the advice you've read is shit.

yeah if you want more brain cancer maybe

hell no, the devs don't see a dime

Oh and you should probably play without a crosshair unless you're a complete fucking casual.

Fuck you. Keep it till the garbage then shut it off.

Consensus is pretty clear m8.

That's actually not bad advice.

If you've already played through the series before just go straight to playing CoC.

I like you.

Perhaps someone with better-than-paint skills can improve this.

Who the fuck suggests playing them out of order? Where are these faggots you're speaking of? Just patch the shit and play, holy fucking shit.

Lots of faggots say to do CoP first

That is faggots who find SoC doesn't hold your hand enough.

this one is the correct one
.t user who first played all three stalker games VANILLA in sequential order a month ago

meaning: first two games vanilla are fucking cancer, and I've read about some sort of conversion mod or something that makes the first two more like call of pripyat. And you should really fucking get that, or otherwise mod the first two bit, but definitely the first

Strange, don't think I've ever run across that. Not a bad guide, by the way.

Ignore this faggot

This user speaks from their ass, at best you'd need ZRP. A lot of mods start fucking shit up even worse if you're not sure exactly what you're getting into.

Well there's an user not one post above you stating that SoC and CS should be more like CoP. Some prefer CoP's way of doing things: I do not.
I habitually stick all the stuff I've been saying in STALKER threads over the last ~2-3 years into text files and finally compiled that all into one image.

SoC vanilla on the hardest difficulty is fine. All these weird slavic overhaul mods are unnecessary for a new player

I like CoP's UI and spur map design, but I also appreciate SoC's more realistic level design and CS's open maps until Limansk. Fuck Limansk.

Yes. The space anomalies were cool though.

I started Clear Sky for the first time last week and it's buggy as shit. AI is stupid as shit most of the time and the "Wait until help arrives" objectives to capture certain points gets stuck and nothing happens. I tried reloading from a quick save and nada. Anybody know how to actually enjoy the dam game?

Did you try Sky Reclamation Project?

Limansk is ass, even replaying it in CoC it's a shit corridor with retarded twists to get stuck in. And then the Dead Hospital caps it off with an even tighter corridor. That whole end put such a sour twist on CS. granata!

Nice dubs.
It's a shame they don't work in CoC, though I wonder how they'd react to a Svarog if they behaved the same as in CoP.
Monolith Gangbang?

Someone could probably fix that with an addon. It's beyond my skills though.
I think that was scripted for the one specific anomaly.

You literally have to wait until help arrives. Even if it seems like nothing is going on there will be a group of guys coming. You can find and follow them if you want.

Or you can just run ahead and complete the secondary mission by yourself, you will probably be outnumbered though.

Oh to be sure it was, but I mean if you could only pass that anomaly with the Svarog, it'd give you reason to find one or find another way around which may mean going through enemy territory.

Oh, that's not a bad idea.

try "narayana solyanka joint pack 2" for shadow of chernobyl if you want maximum slavic experience.

God fucking damnit does anyone know how to disable the stupid apparitions that appear around the emitter in Yantar and (I assume) Red Forest in CoC? I'd assumed they'd be like they were in SoC and would stop appearing once I went into X-16 but they don't and they're fucking annoying. It ruins the suspense completely with them constantly screeching at you. The file that outlines their behaviour seems to be phantom.ltx in /gamedata/config/creatures, however the only thing that seemed to stop them from spawing was removing the files pointed to by the visuals parameter, but that also caused the game to crash. Nothing else I try stops the pieces of shit from spawning.

thanks for the replies and clarifying. after reading these i think ill start with the traditional way. SoC with ZRP

Hell, if it puked out "Alexander Degtyarev" in one of them, that'd explain where he went if he stayed in the Zone.

Try deactivating the Brain Scorcher. The Red Forest has no phantoms, but Radar does.

Enjoy.

Also a good idea. Maybe an user with modding skills could put it together.

Try turning the brain scorcher off, I think that did it for me. I still saw them around Chernobyl NPP and the Generators but very infrequently

That's the way to go, bruv. Have fun.

And don't forget the standard stuff - turn off the crosshair, play on master difficulty, understand that all the early game guns have shit accuracy, and be aware that if you get a shitty ending it means you didn't pay enough attention.

Are there any mods that make the game more "realistic"? When I played SoC vanilla all the enemies felt like bullet sponges which really kills the immersion for me. That's why i liked Metro's shooting mechanics over STALKER.

How new do you have to be to ask this? Are you trying to kill exos with the makarov or something?

I KNOW I CAN TURN OFF THE BRAIN SCORCHER YOU DOUBLE NIGGERS, I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH X16 WITH THIS GARBAGE SCREECHING ALL THE TIME. I WANT THEM GONE.

Fuck dude, I just downloaded CoC and started there. It's cool to go "back" into the actual games and see what areas came from where and what all the different places in the areas were used for.

Bullet sponge enemies are good though, since there is an actual battle instead of "I saw you first so I win" which is boring as hell.

tough shit :^)

I just recommend playing anything but stalker. you aren't missing out on much.

Not if both of you can die quickly. What about a mod that makes it to where both you and the enemy can die in a few hits, and die instantly if it's a headshot? Bullet sponges in a game like STALKER are fucking retarded, and kill immersion. It than feels like a mindless RPG.

Reminder that the only thing master does is make the player much weaker and nerf loot quantity.

Yes it's called notepad++.

I love this shit, every time its a new remour on what it supposedly does and its never backed up with anything.

Very little of this can be backed up. If you could show the line of code that changed loot quality would be lovely.

I can make a mean spreadsheet too but it doesnt prove anything to be honest.

Woops fucked it up, meant for

If you lurked /sg/ for any amount of time you'd have had seen the exact lines posted multiple times by the codesperg. If I go dig through the archives and give you the exact link, will you apologize and promise to never fucking post here again?

I'll apologise, but I'm here for the rest of my life m80.

Good enough. For loot boxes, xr_box.script line 50. For corpses, death_manager.script line 63.

A P O L O G I Z E

I'm very sorry, I stand totally corrected

NEVER PAY FOR STALKER
Your shekels go to the faggot that killed it

What dies dr x questlines even add? It seems like its just some fetch quests. Does it add actual quests or is it just to give you something to do. So far the only thing I've seen that gives you more is just meeting doc.

As far as I remember a bunch of faction-specific side-quests which have the storyline quests integrated.

It's okay.

TES-tier 'radiant quests'. As far as I know, it's still not updated to the new task system which allows you to see the exact quest item the NPC wants before accepting the quest, which to me makes it a downgrade.

Sad

Get the fuck out and never come back.

Just seems as wrong as women in the Zone to me.

I bet your sister plays STALKER better than you.

cute laugh though

nobody ever fucking said that you don't have to lie to me

Fucking what? No one ever said that. Don't even bother playing clear sky it's garbage. Just play SoC and if you REALLY want more then mod it until it crashes.
CoP has some neat things but I couldn't be fucked with it. Blowouts are cool though.

Oh yeah, in my iron man run I'm still using a sunrise suit but I'm considering an exo. Any input from anons on what they had luck with?

Have you got Expert tools? If so exo all the way.

Yee, I got them for some fag in the cordon. I would put sprint on it, that much I know.
Another question is where can I find a good detector? And what version of the exo? I was thinking merc or dooty.

The zone is a mad place mate.

wow, rude.

Personally I'd go Military over Duty, but Merc or Monolith is preferable if you want boolet protection, carry weight AND Artefact containers.

Yee, I definitely wanna supplement my protection with some artifacts. I feel like that would help me survive. I just need a better detector. Has anyone autismed the the differences in the suits yet?

Thats it? Fuck me.

I'll fuck you, but you're still going to have to manually check the stats in the outfit files. As far as I know, nobody has compiled a proper chart for outfit addon.

Oh look, it's the
DARK SOULS OF FPS

This game wasn't made for you. Shit you probably played the new Far Cry games before this, you are fundamentally rotten

Well I getter get started before I'm to tuckered out from the fuckin to do anything. Any idea where I can find the outfits in the files or just google around? I looked in the gamedata but its not immediately apparent. If you don't know them I'm sure I'll stumble on it eventually.

I don't have 1.4.22 installed at the moment, only 1.5, but configs/outfits is where it is in 1.5, though it needs to be unpacked from the databases.

damn I still got 1.4.22
All well, I'll download it tomorrow or something

I really wouldn't recommend downloading the 1.5 beta unless you're explicitly doing so to bugtest it. It's still a mess.

fuck it all

wew
Took my first combat mission in my ironman run clearing out some bandit faggots from the garbage and nearly bought it. Sunrise suit aint going to cut it. Luckily the fag who gave me the mission gave me a suit as the reward. Its the lower tier duty suits, universal protection but I'll upgrade it a bit and it should work for now. Biggest issue and money and a shitty detector. I'm tempted to head north and see if the other lad has some better detectors but that mean I have to go through the red forest. I might do it though.

Who the fuck are you asking for advice who's telling you to play the sequels first? I bet those people are telling you to install STALKER Complete and Misery too.

Say hi to the military and mutants for me.

You don't have to. I chose Clear Sky (with the Complete mod, forgive me) as my first S.T.A.L.K.E.R experience. I was lucky enough to not have any crashes/problems and fell in love with the zone since. I agree that SoC is superior, but Clear Sky will always have a special place in my heart
[Spoiler]Sputnik meteor at night was the only good thing about Complete[Spoiler]

I didn't hate clear sky either, it was just kinda more of the same but with way more shooting.

If you want to use those spoiler tags instead of double asterisks, better put the slash character just before the second word spoiler. Testing.

Try Yantar.
Anything but Bandit.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow

Any chance you could find out what files you need and then I'l upload mine on some site for you to download my friend?

Ironman is over, got killed by the fireball in the wilds when the computer hang. Its gone. I don't know how I feel about this. I'm a little pissed about the death BECAUSE IS WAS A FUCKING BULLSHIT, but I found this to be way more fun.
I don't think I can go back to non ironman runs now, what is this terrible sickness inside me?

To answer your earlier question get merc exo if you're not hostile with them / if nimble has it and you're no hostile with stalkers.
It doesnt trade all that much durability for the fact that it has 2 artifact containers right of the bat and you can open the rest through upgrades.
It also looks rad and is worn by other rad dudes.

Just do it like I do,play normal and if you fuck up and die because you fucked up, delete saves and start again.
That way if some bullshit happens you wont lose all your progress for a bug or something.

Goddamn fool, don't you realize their menstruation attracts Bloodsuckers? You've doomed us all.

You still have not APOLOGIZED for acting like a smug little shit when you were wrong.

Don't enable them.

Are the NeoFags still looking for a place? I may still be able to delete it

I'd like to see CoC offer a hybrid mode: the current ironman method of deleting saves when you die but can quicksave anywhere is retained but you can also make hard saves once every 24 in-game hours at a campfire that will stay.

Last thread someone linked a recently translated mod that I never got to download (was on my phone). Anyone have it?

moddb.com/mods/wind-of-time/downloads/wind-of-time-13-standalone-version
Playing it right now. Machine translation, bit of a challenge and the occasional crash, but fuck some great content. The start is somewhat slow and challenging, but definitely play till you reach the bar and enter lab x19. Spooky as fuck.

STOP IT RIGHT NOW

This is the only semi new content I have. Will return with new content by next thread.

Thanks tovarish

Oh snap, here comes the shit show.

What did he meme by this?

You are unprepared user. A real s.t.a.l.k.e.r is never unprepared

Cute. More please

The Roadside Picnic Addon mod is comfy, especially when you set the weather to always gloomy and rainy. Having a lot of fun in it, the lack of people in the Zone is making me actually have to go artifact hunting on purpose to earn cash rather than just shooting my way up and down until I've got excessive cash. Real tense feeling playing it.

What'd I miss?

Apparently someone was shitter shattered. I don't know if it was related to this thread or some other thread.

Is this some sort of code? Are we /arg/ now?

Must be the dude who translated stalkersoup

haha lol

No wonder people only eat imported food in the Zone.

whats the difference between this and call of chernobyl?

Call of Chernobyl is a freeplay mod designed for other mods to sit on top of.
Wind of Time is a storylined combination of all three games that's more or less a complete package.

i'm just hoping the arsenal doesn't suck dick i want me a fucking FN fal for fuck sake

I know AO had the StG 58 which is a fal

I remember playing SoC and doing the first mission to wipe the bandits out at the little farm place and I got hit and tried using a bandage and crashed. Tried different ways of getting past it but always using a bandage fucked me over. ZRP is the only mod I would tell a person to use for a pure vanilla experience. It changed absolutely nothing but removing bugs that will crash you the entire play through

Wind of Time has AO integrated I think.

ZRP is necessary for the occasional issue like that: most players will not experience it (indeed my first playthrough was without it and I survived) but a small number will and for them the game will be downright unplayable. Throw on the fixes to the smaller bugs and it's just silly not to use it for peace of mind if nothing else.

SoC + patches + ZRP community patch metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/ [see pic rel]
Avoid CS, it's a prequel and it's bad and it's bugged to hell.
Then do CoP with just patches [don't use DX11 renderer, it's incomplete, doesn't support all effects from DX9/DX10 renderers and has been only done to get some freegibs shekel from M$ for supporting DX11 early]
There's big difference between how SoC and CoP plays so if you don't enjoy one of them do not discard the other one too soon.

fuck no
i want my triangular rectangle handguard
its just not the same without it

Everybody says skip CS. Don't do that, it has some real challenge over the first one. The las part is linear and no matter what guns you have, you get a gauss and a fn2000, guess their consider essential to reach the peak.
Overall it's a good game, improving xray engine for modding guns a armor. Fags maybe mad about how hard is to pass the first part (getting out of the swamps) but if you take your time or be really stealthy, you'll be fine.
For advance gameplay, check CoC & Com (call of chernobyl and call of misery) also, the roadside picnic addon for CoC is very nice.
Don't become worm food.

The games aren't that good on their own. Just skip to a modded CoP unless you care for the story for some reason.

Play SoC first, Clear sky is optional, then CoP.
Only use bug fixing patches like ZRP or mods that changes graphics. Completely disregard everybody who tells you to play CoP first.

>>>/out/

It isn't that bad, although the last few levels are way too linear. The main complaint is that it doesn't feel like a real stalker game, but more like a normal fps. Still worth playing imo.

It's worth noting that it has original labs, which are challenging and really spooky.

Pirate SoC
Install official patches
Install ZRP (Zone Reclamation Project)
After that consider SoC mods or playing CoP. Clear Sky is for masochists and completionists only.
which is not the same as how one should start. I don't know where you got this.

Can that user please repost that loli mod. Posting it just before it died was a dick move

Pleb. Crosshair is pro skill move, let shoot from him of the accurately.

Lame infographic!

Fuck you bitch.

Turn off brain scorcher.

This woman already affected by controller.

Just use real computer, problem solve.

Why you bother makings this shit?

Honestly, out of all the shit template threads on Holla Forums, these depress me the most.

Do you mean Wind of Time or CoC? I haven't gotten much into Wind of Time yet.

This isn't a template thread in the proper sense and STALKER is a series for which much contradictory advice on where/how to start exists. It's one of the few games where just reading pcgamingwiki's page won't really work.

Also anyone else think this gif looks like the start of Freedumb-produced porn?

I second this motion

Talking about wind of time. Wait till you get to the bar and lab x19.

any recommendations on difficulty? i heard one makes it more realistic while others turn everything into a bullet sponge or too easy

See and decide for yourself. If you're playing Vanilla SoC for some reason, I recommend going with Stalker difficulty. If you're using mods that unfuck it, Master all the way.

What wine version are you running at? I'm using version 2.20 and I can use the Directx 11 render.

>tfw you can't play it anymore now

Nice, now add the Duty advert.

If I recall it did have the Triangle handguard but its been a while since I've played.

I'd like to play CoC with Warfare. Anything I should know before going in?

Master. Only master. Others are for pussies.

I have literally only ever played the game on master. There is no other difficulty.

I think "controlled" makes controllers spawn everywhere actually

That's how I lost my first ironman run too. You'll experience some real horseshit that will turn you off to it for a while, watch out for grenades in particular.

Master unless you're a pussy ass casual