Gear Based Games Suck

Gear based progression is fucking SHIT. Every game that uses it turns into the same power-creep crapfuckery by the end, especially games with expansions like this because they have no choice but to keep outdoing the last top tier. In Dragon's Dogma it's actually a hard gear wall too, damage and resistances are additive, not multiplicative, so if you don't pass the threshold you don't do damage at all. It reminds me why I hated WoW too, everything is gear based and if you don't win the RNG lottery or grind for days there's nothing you can do about it, and by the next expansion the numbers were so astronomical as to be nearly meaningless.

Games like Guild Wars where there are no real gear checks apart from a very early cap are the way to do it. 100% skill based, be it actual player skill or RPG character skillsets. Even games with very soft gear walls like Monster Hunter are better than this.

Gear based games suck.

Other urls found in this thread:

dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Bitterblack_Weapon_Lv.2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You hate STALKER too?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 took this shit idea and ran with it for ages, having one of the worst loot systems I've ever seen coupled with you needing to swap out every other level because of the exponential gear scaling.

Gear matters less than skills/abilities in Original Sin.

After reading this I think your problem is not with gear based games, but with random gear drops. If the Sword of Assrape +99 was at the end of a dungeon or optional path you wouldn't have this problem.
(Well made) gear based games allow you to tailor the challenge to your tastes, so you can have fun fighting mid-level enemies instead of instarraping them like in level based games.

Maybe if you aren't a weapon-skill based character or are using some sort de-scaling mod, but the numbers bloat means any rogue or warrior is going to be crippled by not upgrading, and becomes an absolute monster when they update to the power curve.
Spell-scaling is average to mediocre depending on the spell, but it gets the job done.

Oh I hate RNG too, but it's not necessarily the root of the problem. Monster Hunter has tons of RNG in it, but because the devs understand the beast they've created they know not to do stupid things like hard walling you because you didn't manage to get a 1% drop ruby to upgrade your stuff. You can still get by without have optimal gear.

I don't think there ARE well made gear based games. You mention level instarape, but how is that any different from gear instarape? In Dragon's Dogma the entire regular game becomes a boring mess once you have one tier of gear higher, enemies don't just die they disintegrate without effort. Are you saying that's fine because you can, what, just purposefully equip worse gear for a "challenge"? That's what I call bad design.

So you queers want enemies to scale to both your level and gear so you're facing the exact same monotonous challenge throughout the entire game, only affected by the difficulty setting you chose at the beginning, and utterly defeating the point of actually looting anything because it'll just make enemies stronger as well?

Wow, great idea, you guys should work on [CURRENT YEAR] MMOs!

Clearly you've never played Guild Wars where enemies are able to have higher levels than you and appear in more numbers and with more dangerous skills as you progress. You get by them by being clever with your own skill choices and party composition, not by grinding for the latest tier of armor and weapon.

All you had to do was kill a dozen or so of those giant chained-up cyclopes and you'd have gotten a proper weapon. Or if you can't do that, you could just godsbane one from the right chest. Here:
dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Bitterblack_Weapon_Lv.2
Internet autists have documented the exact location of every single chest that can give you a good weapon, and drawn maps up with them marked for your convenience.

i guess thats 1 faggoty way to solve the problems. i like the several mentions of fixes to this problems already mentioned, your faggoty method is pretty gay.

Guild Wars is western trash tho

Ah yes let's autistically savescum the RNG lottery and waste hours doing repetitive mind-numbingly boring things instead of actually playing the game.

B A D D E S I G N
A
D
D
E
S
I
G
N

Like I said before, the problem isn't necessarily with RNG or time. I'll gladly hunt Ratahlos 60 fucking times for a mantle because that's ACTUALLY FUN. Killing yourself for an hour and resetting isn't fun (let's not get into charm sniping though that was the same kind of autistic bullshit).

The problem is bad game design not being able to effectively reward the player for playing the game, and instead forces the player to circumvent the gameplay in order to progress.

dark souls is loaded with end-game weapons and armor that doesnt require RNG. some special stuff is RNG, but its easily beatable without getting a single random drop from any enemy or boss.

I got through the entire game with whatever equipment I could find just fine. Maybe sorcerers and/or Maelstrom are busted and I just don't know it, but I never found myself wanting for stronger equipment. Same with magic archers in general.

The people that use "Dark Souls of X" don't usually know that, though. They just use the comparison because it's "hard".

Then use the Periapts and buff yourself. Hell, the main reason why Magick Archer is OP is because it can self-buff both Magic and Magic Resistance.

Besides, that's how it works in real life too. You can't kill a tank with a pistol.

But you won't hunt those monsters that drop L2 weapons? The wiki lists all of those too. The giant cyclopes drop them pretty frequently from what I've seen, so I explicitly mentioned them.
In fact, I only mentioned the treasure chests as a way for someone not skilled enough to kill strong monsters to get the weapons. Interesting that that's the method you immediately latched onto, completely ignoring the other.

dark souls is just proof that people think games are hard if they don't feature handholding and contain any level of challenge.

the only boss that was actually difficult was snorlax and pikachu. but still, that was only about as hard as one of the harder bosses in super metroid. ninja gayden or even fucking castlevania is infinitely harder.

May I ask if you dragonforged any of your existing shit?

hot opinion

git gud

PSO2 anyone?

It's been five years since Dragon's Dogma came out, stop beating that dead horse already.

It's not pure RNG though.
The cursed items drop from specific chests and monsters, which is a completely normal use of RNG. Purification is connected to your class, so you can reliably choose what class color the result is. You shouldn't have a problem getting gear for your class.

You shouldn't even have to game the system or farm though. Bitterblack items are handed out like candy.

every rpg sucks

How long have you been here? If Holla Forums isn't harvesting salt from the rest of the internet or raging because the industry got even more cancerous then we're busy talking about how games are shit nowadays and reminiscing about older games.

You know what I meant, it's either STALKER, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma or Morrowind being discussed to death along with the flavour of the month small Steam titke.

Yes. We have the same threads every day, and have been having the same threads for years now. Have you not realized this?

git gud

You're a dingbat. Deposit a clip of 9x39 in yourself.

Git gud

And when you get the best gear you just mow things down so it's still not fun.

Fun game, but would be better with better gear balance and a different levelling system.

Just reproduce Ninja Gaiden Black combat to everything and be done, fuck action/RPG, maybe Dark Souls got it right, sorta, but emphasis on action yield much deeper role-playing than gear shuffling and level grinding, that shit's for turn-based gay fest.

Or Bethesda.

attend thyself to further practice

So make a thread about something else, you wailing fucking woman. When exactly did you come to the conclusion anyone was here to entertain you?

Best Arisen from the old threads is back.

Learn how to save and load until you get the best drop from chests.

Honestly I think DD is just fine, but they should have capped the level to 50.

Just the right level to fight Grigori, and enough to fight Bitter Butt enemies including Daimon if you have enough items.