NISA: Translation is hard, Ys VIII PC postponed to 2018

archive.is/2ErEg

As it turns out, rewriting a text-heavy 40+hr JRPG from the ground up with a new translator isn't something you can do in a month.

I'm happy that NISA got fucked. This is really gonna set 'em back for a long time and damage their reputation irreparably.
just wish the falcom community didn't have to suffer; those poor bastards

Good, continue to get fucked NISA. Xseed for life.

They can take one for the team.

Monolingual Amerifats need to go.

fuck this, im translating it myself.
I've only got N2 proficiency, but it should be enough.

Wait, XSEED was pushed off from doing this? I thought they were just passed over from the start

user please

Put out a low effort cheap release and end up spending more money than you would have if you just did it properly in the first place. Good job NISA. Hopefully this damages their reputation to the point where XSEED gets Ys back.

I didn't say XSEED opted out, I said passed over as in they were ignored in favor of NISA because someone there did the best blowjobs.

Didn't that have denuvo?
You think they might be trying to sue for the rights to their game back from denuvo?

N2 is more than enough for an easy game like this. Post something up here I passed the N2 last year and I'd be more than happy to help.

Hey! Maybe we learned an actual useful language like Spanish, Chinese and Russian. Learning a language for anime, manga and games could hardly be called useful.

This was actually the plan I bet. Nisa thought they could just shit something out fast. Lots of games end up that way, not just Nisa stuff. And very often companies get away with it.

Too bad for Nisa people got really upset this time.

post yfw NISA shills btfo

Turns out going after a game with a small but dedicated fanbase was not the right target for NISA's fuckery. I know falcom might not have known, but really they should've. Hell they might well have, but didn't give a shit about their western fans.

I used to live there so I learned it for a job and now I work for a Japanese company and make 60K/yr and get regular business trips there at least once every 3 months for about a week at a time. Being able to consume Japanese media is just another benefit. I was being facetious, but you're right if you live in the States you're better off learning Spanish, Chinese, or Russian since you'd be better off learning the language of your new overlords goyim.

Good think Xseed and Falcom fans have the good kind of autism.
I just hope this trainwreck makes NIS reform NISA

Ah, yes, they were
Falcom opted for NISA as they probably gave out a good deal with a low paycheck, faster than Xseed translation and a PC port on release to boot, plus more marketing as well since NISA is bigger company altogether.

Shame Kondo didn't pass on it

not quite.
definitely not.

Look, you need to understand something to really get where you are in the industry and how you can really affect change. You are at the bottom of the ladder. But you are also part of the most important market in the world. There's a complex of systems keeping things under wraps. Here's what you don't do:

Blame FALCOM. Falcom picked the studio that told them what they wanted to hear

Good post

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

When a deal is too good to be true you think twice

It’s coming to GOG so I doubt it.

I wish Nisa would fucking die already. Nothing would make me happier.

YOU WILL NEVER EVER LEARN MOONRUNES

They weren't passed over from the start. From what I understand XSEED fought hard to get YS 8, but NISA brought a better deal by lying through their teeth about the PC release being at the same time. Which was probably the biggest thing Falcom wanted. That and a 2017 release that XSEED most likely said they couldn't do (rightfully so since they actually put effort into Falcom titles). Falcom got greedy and went with the worst company.

I just want the whole localization industry to collapse. Lord knows they deserve it.

They deserve nothing but a slow painful death.

All we can hope is that this further cements XSEED as the better choice in future localization efforts by not only Falcom but other companies as well. I only hope NISA didn't get a contract agreement with them doing a set amount of games and are just fucking dropped like a sack of shit.

Honestly, Falcom should just pull an Idea Factory already and start an International branch. Just use Xseed as script super visors so the new branch employees get accustomed to the various series. Then let Xseed handle localizations and PC ports of all their older games while the official branch focuses on the newer games.

Plus once the hypothetical Falcom International gets focused they can start picking up non-falcom IPs and that means one more publisher in the industry protecting IPs from NISA

Since when? Last time I checked it was a fucking button masher.

So they'll get CS3 out before 2019.

pick one

I disagree. Receiving emails from their Western fans advising against NISA should have made them wary of their choice.
Emotionally speaking, I am upset and disappointed that Falcom really doesn't give two shits about their Western fans, cemented even more so by the lack of an official statement about the affair on their side.
Economically speaking, neither of those two companies will see a single cent from me for this product.

Going to have to finally learn chicken scratchings.

You're both retards

Get fucked NISA.

Falcom won't know about this unless we do another email campaign.
There's already been one in regards to the bad translation and bastardisation of characters. Just imagine another in regards to the heavily delayed PC launch.

Remember to tell Falcom that you won't be buying the next Ys if NISA are behind it.
It's actually a shame to be fair, Ys 8 is an excellent game with awful translation quality. Other than that the gameplay and OST is extremely solid.

for what purpose

It's the cheapest waiter in town.
That being said you shouldn't compare YS to an amazing dish, more like to a hamburger.

Ys is like a greasy burger you get from this obscure family-owned burger van in some industrial estate.
It looks really greasy and unappealing but when you bite into it, it's extremely delicious and melts in your mouth. Then you realise the radio station in the burger van is banging out some cracking tunes and you just stand there eating your burger while listening to these beats.

You've had some guy in your office called ecksy'd deliver your burger every week and he always leaves a little note with a great joke in the bag. Then some intern comes along and you get him to bring you the burger, but every time he does he fucks it up somehow - dropping it, dropping it in dog shit, sneezing on it, adding sides you never asked for, taking a bite out of it before he gives it to you or just being late with your order. This intern also leaves jokes in the bad but they're really awful, you think he's just pulling them out of Christmas crackers and putting no effort in it.

It's good that they aren't making a similar mistake by rushing it out before Christmas. If they're aiming for early 2018 that's still a pretty short time span for a translation project, so it will be interesting to see to what degree they succeed. One day, years from now, I want to hear an account of how the telephone call from Falcom went that necessitated a public apology explicitly for the translation, and the large and costly rework endeavor.

doesn't the new dragon ball also have fuck ton of DLC as well though?

Yes.

I'd like to remind you that "Jew fears the samurai" isn't Japan exclusive, as everyone can be a samurai, provided they live virtuously and show the traits the Jew fears: bravery, honor and perseverance

Nobody who's taste is niche enough to buy a Ys game is going to give a fuck. If anything, that's probably going to lose them sales unless there's a dual audio version.

I think Ninjas are cooler

Must have broken the game with their censorship.

You mean their Culturalization™.

Gameplaywise is this still the same spam flashguard/move because every boss is a pain to deal with otherwise?

Thats hell of a strawman. U less you are releasing the game in North Korea, or the game just so happens to blow the lid off of all the corruption in the U.S., I somehow doubt a niche Nip game is going to "strain relations wth the local government".

What kind of bullshit is this?