Worst design decisions

"it worked for games like TLOU"

(checked)
that reminds me they are doing this shit to God of War 4, too

the gears of war games invented the walkie talkie thing. even the first one had it.

Think of a single thing in any game that was worse than this, I dare you.

trading health for expanded movement options isn't a bad idea. It's seen a lot of great use and it's something that should be encouraged.

first time I've heard it called this. at first, it made me think of radio chatter between two chars. but yes, the onset of 7th gen brought this cancer

that brings me physical pain to read. what game?

This is a game with random encounters. There's only one form of movement, with running designed solely to waste more time.

People can talk shit about how the old GOW games weren't as good as ninja gaiden or DMC and i would agree but they were still fun and actual action games. Just go compare promo footage from old GOW games to the GOW4 trailers and its such a giant downgrade its embarassing

they were guilty of it too, but TLOU and to some extent half-life 2 helped make journos think its cool

I heard it in either a hyperbithero video or a gaming brit video, but I found it appropriate. I've also heard walkscenes but walkie talkie has that element of familiarity as well as rhyming that really sells the phrase.

helps if you give it more context

What was the point of riven if it didn't buff older weapons? Couldn't they just change stats?

Our first game very deliberately did not have a HUD because we're all about minimalism, so let's give our third game button prompts that never go away over the course of the game and can't be disabled in the options. And not just any prompts, but large, semi-transparent rectangles which unnecessarily feature a full illustration of the gamepad and obscure a good portion of the screen.

The real insult is that they patched it, but they didn't patch in an option to disable them. They just patched it so that the prompts appear less frequently.

It's funny because they went and buffed some weapons after rivens were added and everyone said "this is exactly what we wanted the whole time why did you even add rivens?"

This game is straight up pretentious garbage.

Like Hellblade?

How about a JRPG where you swap between fights giving exp and fights dropping items. And the only way to make money is by doing delivery quests for quantities of specific items. And everything in the game is insanely expensive. This is a real game.

Also these quests require you to go back and forth through at least 5 screens each trip. Also the healer character only ever gets enough MP to cast like 2 heals. Also she gets kidnapped like a third of the way through the game with no replacement. Also we're talking about the same game

Also you can't target enemies directly. Also if one characters kills a target the others "whiff" on their turn. Also the main character is the fastest and strongest character in the game and will likely take out whatever the other characters were going to target. Also he gets cursed to stand on his hands which reduces his combo rate very early in the game making him shit. I'm not making that last one up either.

I have to mention one horrible level design choice present in all pokemon games so far, loot.
Why can't they at least give you some better stuff like evo stones and non-store items?

>mfw you're right
I forgot about the running thing. Why did that series have to die the way it did.

Stupid FF4 and Rosa being kidnapped every week by Kain who can't deal with being in the friendzone.

at least with Hellblade, I don't think anyone said "wow, the core mechanic is deep and complex and worth checking out." that one was straight up, "we are selling you a movie with some button prompts."

I may never forgive EA for what they did to the original ME team

Fucking ECHO.
Everyone praised the shit out of it, so I play it.
30 minutes of walking through copy pasted ruins, then you finally get combat and it's the most boring thing ever.
After the first 3 missions, if you haven't read ahead, you figure out the trick, and proceed to destroy every level by meme'ing the AI, then you get another 30 minute walk and talk, then another 2 levels that are actually challenging, another 10 minutes of walking then BULLSHIT ending.

Story isn't properly explained despite all the time given to plot, and by the end of it, you feel cheated.

Looked nice, I guess.