Temporary rewards in video games

What's the point of buying packs in FIFA, when there's going to be a new FIFA game next year?
What's the point of raiding to get gear in WoW, when the gear will be useless in the next expansion?

How do people find these things rewarding when they only have temporary value?
Am I the only one that feels this way about these things?

To activate the reward centers deep in the lizard brain of the consumer whore.

a thread died for this

The majority of gaming audience feels that way
These hooks are not for the 90% of the players. They specifically target less than 1% of the playerbase classified as whales. This is why there is a sharp decline in the playerbase a few weeks after expansions get released.

What's the point of buying FIFA games every year?
What's the point of paying a subscription for WoW, a game that isn't fun to play in the first place?

There may be many people like you who have a niggling feeling in the back of their minds of being ripped off, but if you keep paying, they'll keep taking your money.

I should mention that I don't play FIFA or WoW because of this reason.
I prefer games that give me a real sense of accomplishment with rewards that don't become useless a year later.

Capitalism was a mistake

Fuck off retard the game's development market is regulated as fuck.

I'm trying to figure this one out too. I actually preordered World of Warcraft back in the day. $60 for a disc and $30 for two months time. Midnight launched that shit. Got homeā€¦ and it was fucking shit. Garbage. $100 down the drain. The fact that people actually enjoyed it and STILL play it blows the fuck out of me.

I'm close friends with a guy who was a hardcore raider from WoW launch until last expansion, and I'll tell you exactly why people do this: they want to have a bigger dick than everyone else.

He was consistently the highest DPS on his server and across multiple servers. He was very transparent about what he was doing. He wanted to have the highest numbers just to have his dick be bigger than everyone elses. He does this in every game we've played together. He read guides and spent hours practicing and experimenting. He even still rants about the time he posted on the Blizzard forum telling them that some change to Rogues in vanilla meant that you can increase your DPS by swapping daggers, and they replied something to the tune of, "yeah but nobody will do that," so he and every other rogue in his proximity just started using addons to swap weapons during combat before Blizzard came out and changed rogues again. I've heard this story like 50 times, he loves telling it.

It's all about their dicks. They just want the biggest dick and that's all it's about when it comes to professional raiders.

Well, i guess you couldn't call that an improvement.

Can't he just stalk and rape women like normal people?

99.9% sure he's closet gay.

Well, there's only so far you can take it, at least with actual games that don't totally rely on skinner box mechanics. Endgame 100% may always be the goal but what about a weapon that's really good for midgame in an rpg? It lets you be more powerful immediately and lets you get to the endgame faster. Of course in a game like that there's a definite end as opposed to shit like WoW where the gear treadmill will continue for as long as dumbasses pay for subscriptions.

Please do not insult lizards by comparing them to consumer whores.

lizards a shit

"I wanna be the best NOW!"

Some people (kids/retards) are impatient, short-sighted and stupid enough to buy them until their parents/lack of food tells them to stop. If there exists an opportunity for a voracious company like EA to milk pennies from them then *of course* it will exist.

As with most things the answer to 'Why oh why?' is simply: Idiocy.

What's more inexplicable than buying this lootbox nonsense is that they're willing pay for yet another fucking FIFA in the first place, that they're that resoundingly dumb goes a long way to telling you why they fall for the 'extras'.

The cretins buying WoWshit are hilariously sad, that thing has looked like an endless mediocre, anodyne, candyfloss kids cartoon for as long as I can remember, it's *never* looked like it was worth playing, or fun (since you need at least 3 humourless autists on your side to even survive), no grit, no hard-bitten aesthetic and nigh everyone associated with it is cancerous or a social plague.

At least in vanilla wow you needed gear from MC for the next raid and so on.
Only thanks to expansions that threw welfare gear out of the window you could stop doing every raid and run it at a later date with way better gear.