Is this game worth playing Holla Forums? Also Drakengard thread I guess

Is this game worth playing Holla Forums? Also Drakengard thread I guess.

The story's interesting, but the gameplay is complete ass.

[b]PLAY NIER AUTOMATA INSTEAD[/B]

It's not exactly fun but the gameplay isn't quite as bad as people say. I think it's worth a playthrough.

Short answer, yes.
Long answer, this is a game by madman Yoko Taro, who is known for making crazy, wild ride stories attached to ungodly tedious games. Drakengard is the first. Drakengard 2 didn't have Taro involved so don't bother. NieR was pretty much the pinnacle, although you do have to read Grimoire Nier to fully understand the story.
Then came Automata where Taro went full George Lucas. It's NieR, but with an unbearably smug meta story with a full alphabet of endings each more useless than the last. You should play Drakengard if only to see the work of a great creative mind before he was ruined by self-fellation.

The story and gameplay is complete ass

No it's not. The gameplay is absolutely shallow and repetitive, the graphics are like something out of a launch title for the Dreamcast, the story is a poorly written mess with awful voice acting and uninteresting characters. Don't listen to ANYONE who says that the game is supposed to be not fun, they are just retarded hipsters defending a company like Cavia that never made a single good game.

The fact that you need to read from an external source outside of the main story itself is insulting.

It was the only good game Taro ever did since he handed it over to ACTUAL GOOD GAME DEVELOPERS.

Seconded.

OH and don't get me started on the "soundtrack"

TAKE THAT BACK, MOTHERFUCKER!
That was one of the only redeeming factors of the game.

It's clear as day Platinum had minimum involvement with automata. It's got a shallow skin of Platinum combat, everything else is Cavia as it can possibly be.

So, I take it that it's kewl to hate Automata since it's the only good game Taro ever produced while his previous games were "muh underrated masterpieces", you fuckmothering cunt dischargers?

The argument can be boiled down to "it's bad because it is popular muh normalfags"

"If people hated the old games, that must mean they're perfect HURR DURR MUH HIPSTERISMS!!!"

If there's one thing Holla Forums can agree on, it's that the first Drakengard is worth at least a play through. They'll argue over the story, the gameplay, characters, etc., but at least settle on the opinion that people should play it.

Can you explain what the fuck you're talking about?

No, you little shit. I despise Automata because it's literally just Nier with a coat of paint that doesn't belong to it. Nier worked because it was a humble action-RPG with great characters that built up steadily to something special. Nier worked because it mixed bullet hell mechanics with 3D combat.
Automata kept the bullet hell, but with a dodge-based combat because of muh platinum, when Nier relied on block. Even as platinum combat is fucking fails because the counters don't work 70% of the time. Instead of Weiss and Nier banter, you get 2B and 9S which are the most formulaic characters Taro has ever written. Instead of special camera angles being used sporadically to shake things up, they're used all the time because we want the cinematic audience. Instead of a slow, effective buildup, you get "THIS IS A SPECIAL, META GAMES GUYS, MAKE SURE TO REPLAY IT".
Playing automata is witnessing creativity being corrupted by the prospect of becoming The Next Big Thing. You saying it was Taro's only good game is all the evidence you need to say this was, sadly, successful.

No, just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. It's a horrible musou with a great story, so don't feel guilty.

Drakengard & Nier Franchise Ultimate HD Collection for PC when

Please, God, kill everyone in this thread. Me included if you must.

What about 3? the girl on the cover is cute

If you can stomach 10-15hrs of basic musou gameplay (better than DW6 but not by much) with extremely shit balance and some decent chunks of dogfighting inbetween then yeah worth playing, otherwise not really just watch a longplay all the actual LPs for it are trash even by LP standards, use a guide for ending E or even a premade save nobody cares if you're autistic enough to get good at Drakengard.

Drakengard 2 plays better but is atrociously bland otherwise, also requires you to play it three times over instead of using the actually good Chapter system for 1

Drakengard 3 wouldn't have been too bad if the framerate wasn't 5-20fps (not an exaggeration), maybe once RPCS3 runs the game without crashing it'll actually run at playable speeds (it already does run at a higher framerate than on PS3 right now), the last branch is some bullshit.

Couldn't give you a precise opinion on Nier since I barely started it, seems comfy for now, no doubt the game will pull some shit on me before long.

WEW LAD

So pretty much you hate it cause it got popular.

You can take the pic I posted to sum up the game or you can take a common opinion here on Holla Forums that being Drakengard is a game you should play just for the experience regardless of if you end up hating it or loving it.

So, beacuse it's purposefully shit, it's good?

Fucking hell, no wonder modern gamers have such overwhelming shit taste.

Why the hell would I have to explain it? Nier automata has precisely the same amount of tedium as any cavia game before it. This wouldn't be a problem since it sets it firmly in the DrakenNier series, except for the fact that brain-dead shills tried to pretend Platinum swooped in and fixed everything about the shit gameplay, when they very much fucking didn't.

Your posts are autism.

>(((you))) insist it's only because it got popular, why include any counter-arguments, it's popular so the goys are on my side!
Desperate.

Drakengard is well known here for just being a weird fucking game.

He is just going to sperg how it's somehow a bad game.

Well my point was proven.

Yoko Taro is a hack
Automata is only good because Platinum made his game good.
just watch the cutscenes on youtube, then play automata

GOD, PLEASE

Do you think its worth trying to emulate it? I wanted to buy it once I'll buy console but I keep hearing about the abysmal framerate.

The gameplay is garbage and the story itself is censored in the western release.

Played 1&2 emulated, 1 is mostly fine with a handful of minor graphical issues (although I used the OGL renderer with an intel/nvidia build so I dunno if DX works as well or if AMD can handle OGL properly on that one), fast forward is a godsend in some places and the lack of slowdown isn't bad either, just make sure you're using the very latest dev version because one of the hacks you need to get things to not fuck up too much at higher res isn't present in builds that are over 6 month old, also get the undub while you're at it.
2 is where it gets complicated but it's 2 so who cares.

Why would you play this turd when you could be playing a dozen exponentially better games on the same system/using the same emulator?

Thanks. How about emulating the third one? I saw videos from 3 months ago and it looked quite stable.

It has missing graphical effects like pretty much all the lighting and shadows, runs at actually marginally better framerate than the console (30 with dips to 20 instead of 20 with dips to 15 in the prologue on a [email protected] / GTX1070), but crashes as soon as you use intoner mode and at certain points in the game, you can't finish it so I wouldn't bother for now.

- - - - - - - Faggotry Cutoff Line - - - - - - -