Fucked beyond repair

Do you have a video game that you should absolutely love on paper, but in reality publishers/localizers/incompetent devs ruined it so hard that you just won't touch it?
Was an attempt to fix such game ever occured?
Did you try to fix it yourself?

Obviously I'm not talking about shit like NMS or MN9, those were obvious hoaxes from get go, but more in lines with Hyper Light Drifter or Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Or Slain, that in fact was redeemed into pretty damn good game after devs decided to rework it from ground up.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0
iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/0/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everything Working Design touched

The biggest one for me was Lair on the PS3.

Looked fucking amazing on paper and visually, but the controls were so utterly fucked that the game was completely unplayable.

You Working Designs?
Even as a kid playing this I instantly caught up that translation was fucked.
Still great fucking game, at least it wasn't marred by feminism. I think.

I have to look that up, I have no idea what is it.

Doom (2016)

Its funny how I used to see plenty of anons years back on cuckchan acting like they were the saving grace to whatever they handled; that had WDs done English scripts accurate to the Japanese ones, those posters wouldn't have found the games enjoyable to begin with. Or excusing their behavior as "such liberty taking was the only way we'd have gotten anime-styled JRPGs out here in the first place" (which conveniently ignores the likes of, in regards to the PS1, Sony having brought Grandia, Wild Arms 1 and WA2 over, Konami having brought Suikoden, Namco with Tales of Destiny and Eternia, etc, so clearly there was some interest even if anime wasn't that popular). Wasn't until I came here that I started to see such adamant dislike of what they did. Honestly not sure if I ever want to play the likes of Lunar until/unless someone makes a retranslation patch (or I decide to learn moon). To be fair though, it's mostly the RPGs I've heard they fucked around with. Haven't heard if, or how badly, the likes of Gungriffon Blaze or Silpheed: The Lost Planet wound up being at their hands for example.

Even with the control patch that came out like 18 months later it still isn't that great.

Bloodborne. It has EVERYTHING I like. Victorian era combined with gothic styles. Lovecraftian lore. Fucking werewolves and werewolf hunters, similar combat to dark souls, guns as an off weapon. And yet it bores the ever living hell out of me, to the point i've never finished it. I just found it to be so dull and boring. It's annoying. I was sure I finally found a lovecraft styled game I could enjoy, but its so subpar to me.

Diablo loot.
Repetitive mission. Unfinished. A case study of why most open worlds suck. The world is just there for the sake of novelty, no fun side activities other than grind resource. Also forced multi-player and the Mother Base kikery.
Plot ripped straight from Ass Defect. Not mysterious blank character with wits, snark, and charm like previous games, another fucking "commander" with a personality of a salt lick. Cannot display both equipped melee and ranged weapons when Gothic 2 back in 2002 managed to do so.
Fun on the first run, the second, not so. Weak ass combat, but good world building. Open world and quests are horrendous. It is like a girl with good knockers in both balance, size, and shape but sporting a flat ass.

Ni No Kuni appears charming on the surface, everything with the style and music seems right. Then you actually play it and notice the ridiculous levels of handholding, the combat being atrocious against all reason, and more and more you skip the dialogs because they are just irrelevant chatter.

I put down the game and watched the rest of the cutscenes online, all the while wondering how someone could screw up this bad.

Walk right and attack occasionally: the game. And the hi-def effects on top of pixel art and low res models is just janky.

Cuckchan or not I dunno, but Vanguard Bandits is good game, even with fucked up translation.
And it's not XBX kind of fucked up where they ruin characters and insert memes just to spite those pesky sexist japs.
They did it because lol why not. They were faggots sure, but not deliberately evil ones at least.

Dare I say if you can whack "lovecraftian" god to death with a stick it's no longer a lovecraftian fucking god.

I liked it. I like diablo loot in general.
Feminist city on the other hand was kick in the teeth.

Apparently the game was supposed to be completely different, but they either ran out of time or money and just ended up stretching the DS game's story over what was supposed to be a longer game. This is what I hear from gleaming over some Japanese reactions to the game at least.

Minecraft, it could have been Dwarf Fortress 3D lite
They focused on shit that could have been made by a modder instead of improving the core gameplay
It would have been fun to build an autistic fortress with traps against npc invaders instead of this shit

Mass Effect and Dragon Age come to mind. By all means, they should be awesome games, but Bioware just fucked it up to the point it's rotten hot garbage.

There's a number of games that I've been really excited for only to have them ruined with Steam cancer. I hope the nominally good developers who made the choice to cripple their game with DRM and normalize the crippling of other games with DRM sincerely burn in hell.

Wakfu

Like what the hell, ankama. I don't know how you can possibly fuck things up this hard.

Also Mabinogi.
It has some of the most unique ideas for an MMO, but it got bogged down by an aging engine, features got forgotten rather than updated, and the combination of a hellish grind, stupidly poor drop rates, and gacha economy put the final nails in the coffin.

It's not like DRM can't be cracked.
The worst case is when the game itself is fucked.

I played a bit of both and found them charming but ungodly boring after a few hours. It felt like art team did their best and poured they love into them, but coder were just like "meh it kinda werks, let put this out or whatever".

m8 shitting up the script and wanting to chop up games to sell them separately at full price is as deliberate and evil as one can get when it comes to translations.
They fucked the difficulty in a lot of the games they touched too. In Alundra every single thing has its HP almost doubled.

Mabinogi's a great example of wasted potential. I wish some western devs had copied it rather than make a million failed copies of WoW.

Maybe at a surface glance, but it's pretty clear from the MMO combat that it has massive problems and the trademark 4 hubs bioware shit

That's what I'm saying. They had a magnificent premise and then did every single detail wrong. It's rather mind boggling how a developer can fuck up so thoroughly.

Has there been any restoration patch for Alundra? To restore the original difficulty, I mean (far as I know none of their games have seen a fan retranslation ye).

Yeah, but it's also a bit of natural progression if you look at bioware's games from BG2 on, not to mention the development length for the game was absurd, something like 5 years IIRC
Biggest waste of an original setting though.

Wakfu has a really cool combat system and some great boss fights. Single player it is utterly boring because you miss a lot of the tactics, and early on the fights aren't interesting.

But Ankama makes it worse every patch, so don't bother looking for the fun.

For Mabinogi, it's understandable why someone might not like it, but consider the following:

It's an MMO with:
-a classless system
-theoretically a wide range of builds and player types (this was more true before the everyone is lvl 15000 meta)
-the first MMO with a good music system
-Tons of craft skills so you can do shit when you don't feel like fighting (unfortunately, gachas and modern content made 99.9% of crafting obsolete)
-An ungodly amount of cosmetics (Most of them are gacha and event only now)
-An active combat system based on tactics (made mostly obsolete by newer skills and pet spam)
-Cool random shit like jousting, trade routes, and hot air balloons (now 99% of this stuff is obsolete.)
-Some really great storylines based on Celtic lore (also some terrible ones.)
-Some really unique features like aging, gaining weight, hidden affection meters with npcs, keyword based chat, having npcs forget you, etc (most of these are also way less relevant than they used to be, thanks to how quickly people rebirth nowadays.)
The list goes on

Nigoro made the really unfortunate and baffling decision with their remake of La-Mulana to not have proper movement key remapping despite the original having full keyboard customization. For over a year, people including myself were begging them to add it in across various communication channels, but they consistently pretended like we didn't exist while answering other fans' queries.

I had been waiting for some time to buy the game, assuming that surely eventually they would add in this incredibly simple feature to bring the remake up to control parity with the original game, but eventually I just gave up. It's a continual source of frustration for me because I replay the original all the time.

When did any of that happen?

part of the background, the Tevinters are the not romans and the Qunari are the not ottomans, there were even not crusades as well.
Far more interesting than what they gave us

Alright, thanks.

Spore

Killing floor 2
It's pretty simple why, original devs who designed the engine and base gameplay back in beta no longer work in the company, a bunch of retards took over who have no idea how to design/balance and now it's a clusterfuck that has no idea what type of game it wants to be.

Pillars of Eternity, a game from one of my favorite RPG studios programmed by Tim Cain: should be amazing but then I started bumping in to backer characters and hearing their lame fanfiction stories and within less than an hour I was playing something else. I still might go back but if any of you faggots ever do a Kickstarter be sure to not offer shit like Backer NPCs, in fact be sure the backers don't contribute any sort of writing at all. If they want their name on a fucking tombstone or statute that's one thing, but every bit of narrative you have in your game shapes it's tone including shitty fan fiction that you took the time to indicate was made by someone else.

No, it doesn't. The original has five menu keys bound to F1-F5 and the ten zone-warping keys bound to 0-9 that can't be remapped. All you can rebind are the four movement keys, your weapon, and your subweapon. Every year that goes by that you post this it only gets stupider. You may as well complain that the original's pretense to having gamepad support is moot since you can't bind any menu keys or warping keys to the controller, which is actually game-breaking and more functionally frustrating than having your movement bound to the arrow keys.

NuFire Emblem

I suppose that's a valid rebuttal, however the F-keys and warping numbers aren't anywhere near as critical as basic movement and action inputs. The original lets you map these to whatever you want, the remake does not. I prefer playing on keyboard and arrow keys are fucking shit.

Star Wars Galaxies. I will never forgive John Smedley and SOE for the bullshit they pulled with that perfect MMO.

Don't remind me.

I've been thinking of getting HLD. What problems does it have?

Minecraft

Which games HAVEN'T been ruined by now?
- Civilization
- XCOM
- Dark Souls

All of these are pretty much unplayable to me because they are so far removed from the original games.

right on point
right on fucking point

Why has nobody made an actual zombie invasion mod yet anyway?

- Aces High 3. I've always been intrigued by massively multiplayer online flight sims.
- Elite: Dangerous:

ED wouldn't be good even without the Always Online since Braben is incapable of making it fun.

MGS 5
Mighty No. 9
Darkspore
Psychonauts 2
Anything localized by Squeenix or Treehouse recently.
Deus Ex: IW & MD
Lawbreakers. :^)
Overwatch
Destiny
Most things Gearbox releases.
South Park: Fractured but Whole
Most Ubisoft titles of more recent years.

… off the top of my head.

nu/v/ unpopular opinions thread
Consider the fallowing, this crap was once bullied. Now its tolerated.

MGSV TPP & GZ was great, in fact best in the entire series. If you disagree you are clearly a plebeian from reddit.

I was a fan of Baldur's Gate. By all means Mass Effect and Dragon's Age should have been games I loved. But instead they just relieved how shallow Western RPGs could be and in demystifying my reverence for Bioware it lead to me having a more critical eye which was also retroactively applied to the older titles. I cannot respect anything from these developers any more not even the "classics" that I used to cherish.

Dwarf Fortress is far to autistic to be genuenly fun.

Ni No Kuni was charming, it just failed to reach its full potential. I suspect it might have ended up in development hell and was cut short due to budget problems. The Easy hand-holding is just a product of lack of confidence in the finished product. Its Third Act is a complete let down, the story easily off exploring the psychology to escapism to cope with life, death and other traumatic questions. I could have been a metaphor for a deeper subtext but instead they wrap it up with playing it straight and never reconcile the significance of this all potentially taking place in the child's imagination. But not many JRPG are genuinely challenging, its typically boils down to a matter of how much grinding it demands. At the time of development there was alot of experimentation with trying to balance a JRPG around not having to grind and many normalfags even now base their opinions of RPGs on how little grind is required to complete the main game.

>easily off
typo, I was trying to say it would be interesting if it did explore the psychology of escapism.

Why anything made before 2007, user.

Star Wars The Old Republic.

What the fuck happened with that game? You watch the trailer they released it looked awesome, giant battles between sith and jedis turned into a shitfest of boring dialog. It wasn't even close to the quality of the KoTor-games either. As a single player game it sucked, as a multiplayer game it stunk.

What all these Wow-killers never understood was that in the beginning, World of Warcraft was a fun game, where you had fun with friends and strangers online. Not a grindfest to the end of the story/top level. Not shitty instances everywhere and not stick-figures for characters.

It was made by Bioware

It was made using an incomplete build of what was essentially "RPGMaker:MMO Edition" by a team with zero online multiplayer development experience. That it turned out as playable as it did is a miracle.

I'll get shit for this, but STALKER. Open world shooter with loot, quests, choices and incredible atmosphere? Sign me the fuck up. The game though, is a massive disappointment, requiring far too much pissing about with mods and patches to fix it.

I was in the beta from pretty early for SWTOR. They were lying their asses off about what they had completed. Whatever the PvP planet was I forgot the name of practically didn't exist. So little of anything was actually implemented.

You're a faggot. I played SoC with no patches other than the official ones and had no problems. You can patch the game to fix glaring problems and lack of polish, but you need to be a mental cripple to be unable to do so since there are really not that many mods around and most are standalone.

E.Y.E. for me. They nailed the design so damn well. But the last time I picked it up a year ago, I got stuck repeating the same 2-3 hours segment multiple times because the save system is completely nonsensical. StreumOn also massively fucked up Deathwing, so it's pretty clear they are just incompetent devs with a lot of solid ideas.

Fire Emblem Fates.

I'll second this. I hated STALKER for a long time before I just went with the basic fixes and then enjoyed the shit out of SoC and CoP.

vanilla stalker without additional mods and fixes not from the developers is alright and functional, what are you guys talking about?

This. Past Creature mode the game just peters out. Even with the expansion pack that brought back Creature mode as a Space-farer just went to shit once you saw that it was a community-made minigames.
Same with No Man's Sky, it just entirely lacked focus.
Even Autism Blocks and Dwarf Fortress did a better job of providing player motivation.

Why do you think Hyper Light Drifter is "fucked beyond repair"? The only real problems it had were a 30FPS lock they fixed over a year ago, and some controller detection fuckups that may or may not be fixed (but I use K&M so it's not relevant to me).

Also to stay on topic, Spore and Fire Emblem: _Heroes____

I tried to fix Rust by writing a full rebalance mod. It wasn't enough - the game just doesn't have enough content and I was limited to modifying serverside shit. Hell, I was about 30% done with adding modular robots (picrelated) to add PvE, but the difficulties with hosting the mod just turned it into more trouble than it was worth. It was a good bit of experience though.

The mod itself must've had a little over a hundred tweaks and adjustments to the core game.

The sequel to one of my favorite games butchered beyond belief. It has all the elements a good game should have, but implemented so poorly that it's simply terrible.

battlefield1 could have easily be one of the best games ever made. (((EA))) filled it up with niggers, SJW cuck propaganda and kike bullshit. it was full of miserable bugs and (((EA))) refused to fix them.
(((EA))) then decided to not to add a real anti cheat out of greed and then they have not released any new content for about 6 months. the matchmaker is the worst ever and the lack of a proper anti cheat allows 14 years old kiddies to run cheats dated back to 2016
(((EA DICE))) kept also forcing cucks, mostly toxic youtubers into the game literally by associating toxic white selfhate cucks with events

it finally resulted with players fleeing the game and the numbers crashed.
20+ million sold copies and no one wants to play the nigger game, especially on PC

lmao they literally tried to sell a fucking plastic nigger glowing in the dark hahahahhahahahaha

indeed worst miserable mismanagement ever. this game was awesome at launch but with each update it became worse and worse. the CEO finally started to trick the consumers and went to lying on reddit after he was exposed. happened several times. most miserable game experience ever.

look at this picture. next to the battlfield1 plastic nigger in the post above, this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever seen: they literally replaced a german plane with a (((russian))) and posted it as a main theme in the game. they were also banning people in the forum for pointing out historic facts about tanks and planes. their RNG roulette crate system was exposed to be rigged.

I wish Ni No Kuni had a turn-based combat system. Hell, I wish Ultima VII had a turn-based combat system.

What did Hyper Light Drifter do? Besides give a shout out to Anita in their credits (which doesn't really affect the game, and if you don't wanna give 'em money or support them you can just pirate it; I heard it was a pretty gud game)

I'm sure this can be attributed to publisher going "we want the HoMM audience" and killing man of the game's original features.

*killing many
Self-fix.

Even then it's implemented incredibly poorly. The battlemap for example is incredibly lazy, and would have been better off being the way it was in 2. Another bad thing was the fact nearly all the enemies are incredibly poorly designed with bizarre abilities that make the game a chore to play.

And some say Mass Effect ripped Anachronox.

Game was butchered in every way imaginable after Ignition update, holy fucking shit. It was clear that it could only go downhill with the start of Season 2.

It was locked at 30FPS on release despite being an action heavy title and also it was generic indie claptrap.

How could you possibly butcher this?

It ripped off Star Control 2 more than anything with a few character names just being one or two letter changes from Star Trek and Battlestar names.

Ah
Yeah that's pretty bad

Goddamnit. I passed over it during the Halloween sale since I heard it was shit. I fucking love games with a Horror aesthetic.

checked.

I bought it a while back. It's pretty solid overall. I wouldn't call it a horror aesthetic, though. It's like playing through a metal album.

Karok is the best thing to come from the game but all you need to know that Nexon is behind the game.

Haven't heard about them honestly. Recent years have made me afraid to try anything new on the basis that some asshat will take a massive shit all over it, and make me regret ever playing it.

Star Fox Zero.
What a fucking wasted opportunity.
The motion controls aren't even the problem.

Most of the enjoyment people get in endgame doesn't even come from the content itself, it comes from abusing how absolutely fucking broken the game is.

Is that fucker using the back blast from that fireball to super moonwalk all over while blowing people to kingdom come like he's fucking killer queen?

Needs Deja Vu theme slapped on top.

www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/BugsInSTALKER.html

What exactly was magnificent about it?

It's sound to me like you have depression

Nothing about this thread has anything to do with good games. It's about games that are broken on a base level.

This exactly. What a fucking waste.
Miyazaki artstyle? A pokemon type game? A whimsy adventure? What could go wrong!

The combat is pure shit. The characters, boring. I think I played this for like 8 hours before shelving it. What a waste of money.

A few.

Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind were some of my favorite games. Everything I saw and read about Oblivion sounded so absolutely wonderful, and I waited years just knowing that it would be something amazing. Morrowind easily gave me 3,000 hours of enjoyment, so thinking of a new foray into that universe was everything I was hoping for. It was going to be great.

Except, it wasn't.

It was the most heart-sinking disappointment I've ever played. I played Morrowind for 3,000 hours. I dropped Oblivion after 20. I don't think I felt that kind of disappointment and blatant dumbing down since Deus Ex: Invisible War launched. Fuck that game too.

Molyneux made it sound like a much more interactive version of 3D Movie Maker, which I played the shit out of. Too bad it tried to be The Sims and some management game and failing miserably at both. Fuck Molyneux.

I love the shit out of GTA. So getting what was essentially mass multiplayer GTA sounded like the most fun shit ever. I followed that piece of crap for years, just to get a dressup game with really shitty GTA-lite gameplay on a shitty engine that became a hackfest overnight, and dead within three months. What a fucking disaster.

Cyberpunk universe, cute art, great soundtrack. I was expecting something like Papers, Please, but with drinks instead of documents. Instead, I got this shitty VN with no agency, and it's like I was trapped in an anime chatroom with a bunch of cringy teenagers doing stutter roleplay shit. Now we know why Venezuela collapsed.

To this day I can't think of a single sequel that dumbed down shit so hard as Oblivion did.

Elaborate

Frankly I was just glad the dice roll combat was gone in oblivion. Sure it was dumbed down to shit but at least you couldn't watch yourself making contact while missing anymore.
no bulli

Steamworld Dig was a neat concept neatly executed: the grinding was enough to get you pumped for new upgrades but not too much to get bored, the artstyle, setting, controls and powers were great. It's a shame that the game almost had no content, though. supossedly the second game is better in every aspect, has anybody of you played it?

Actually read the thread subject before acting like a fucking retard

99% completed steam world dig and never played 1.
I think it might have the reverse issues, it has content but by the time your upgraded and ready to just blast through those mines you sorta finish the game too early.

The majority of Action RPGs. The idea is wonderful, who doesn't want to kill ghouls and goblins, traverse dark chasms, and conquer all that stand in their way? The problem is it's never pulled off correctly. It's either too much RPG, or too little Action.

HLD had a mountain of cut content, which you can see a lot of it in early trailers and dev logs. While it isn't necessarily a huge problem for people that didn't follow development, it was a massive "fuck you" to those who did. ">M-MUH HEART PROBLEMS!" doesn't really justify it imo since that bastard Preston is still alive and kicking.

heroes and generals was kinda like this
jesus what a fucking train wreck. the worst part is that it actually used to be not great, but reliably good, and a fun way to waste a couple hours here and there

People are fixing those.

What, checkpoints are completely nonsensical?

Checked and bumped.
Where are my ridable mechs goddamit?

Absolver. ;_;

Why couldn't they make good servers to start with?

Karmas a bitch, for honor and absolver got what they deserved for dumbing their games down to be playable with controllers so all you have to do is lock onto your opponent and play simon says to win.

Having to give up on Starbound was pretty painful, it was my second biggest disappointment after Spore.

They weren't dumbed down, besides 3d fighters are MEANT for controllers.

Archeage started out really promising.

They fucked it. PvP stopped being king when it came to making money to appease the farmville playerbase and the game got insanely p2win as the publishers whored out to whales.

It was karma for focusing too much on online bullshit instead of making a proper singleplayer kung fu game with bonus multiplayer.

I really wanted to like Hyper Light Drifter, but in the end I just thought it was a pretty boring game and couldn't finish it. An amazing aesthetic and Disasterpeace only take a game so far. I really wish he'd make music for a GOOD game some day.

Sounds like you just hate good games user.

when the checkpoints are actually being triggered. did some more searching last night and apparently there is some garbage decision where the game saves in two locations - a My Docs location and the main folder that often conflict, leading to lost progress. could be the source of the problem for me. still registers as dev incompetence to me.

i wanted to like this game but the servers being as fucked as they were forcing me to play through the single player 'campaign' was the most boring experience i've had in video games lately

Same here.

I got HLD and Furi at the same time, they seemed both like similar games right up my alley, but I was expecting HLD to be the big one. Jumped into it first, just felt like le dark souls memery with random evangelion ripoffs thrown around (I don't care if they're just homages or not, they were so obvious it really takes you out of it) and surprisingly clunky.

Furi was good though. Real good, wasn't expecting that.

To add to the thread, maybe Destiny? A persistent online MMOFPS with a sci-fi mixed with swords-n-sorcery fantasy aesthetic sounds pretty cool. Destiny 2 on PC apparently doesn't even have public chat, because someone on the dev team had hurt feelings once in CSGO and decided letting you chat with anyone created a toxic community.

you can play the private server

I wish I had saved the writeup an user did with everything that made armored warfare in to the broken mess we have today.
Lets just say it was a pretty long read.

user, what is there "on paper" that makes awakening or fates sound interesting in the slightest. It's all boring waifushit with shit characters shoehorned in by queen fujoshi herself, Nami Komoru.
I guess the conflict stuff in fates sounds interesting, but how can you love something controlled by current year IS.
Echoes was an anomaly that I doubt we'll ever get again, unless some major staffing changes happen.

Oh great another "I don't speak any Japanese but I am an expert on every game that is localized or translated and they are all shit" thread. You fucking people are literally cancer. How can you even judge a translation/localization if you don't first understand the target language and compare both the original product to the translated script? When will you people understand that it's not about your feelings, it's about making money and a company is gonna go with what they think makes them money, even if it means that they rewrite something from the original. Bringing a game over to another country with another culture that doesn't necessarily have an extensive knowledge of the source culture is not an easy task.

Every MMO ever

Awakening was originally put forwards as an actual sequel to the original games, something that hasn't happened in fucking forever and people were excited. Then the time travel and waifu shit happened. I don't think anyone really expected it to get tumblr levels of bad.

But you barely use any buttons in La-Mulana, does keymapping really matter that much?

Another refugee perhaps?

They're only meant for controllers because they gimp the shit out of movement and combat with that stupid follow-camera. Look back to the early 2000s and you can't find entire warehouses worth of third person melee games with controls far tighter and more responsive than any "3d fighting game" released in the last few years which target controllers are a primary HID.

The game is also a fucking disaster. Every time I boot it up thinking "maybe it'll be better this time" it feels like the developers are laughing behind my back at the fact I'm even trying to play it. Even when able to look passed the servers, the bad netcode, the bad class balance, the lame maps, the bizarre hit detection, the narrowness of the gameplay, you see the game can't even deliver on the very very basics of what it promised as a bare minimum because literally the only part that's good is the taekwondo kicks, and most of the actually good attacks make you look like a fucking clown.

Sure that's not you?

I'll give you an example. Try explaining the concept of 黒闇天 in less that 100 characters in the context of an occult researcher trying to explain the concept to a detective that is investigating a case that is rumored to have a supernatural link to a murder.

I tried this out for a while early on when the grease gun had just come out and it was plenty of fun.
I mostly remember a bunch of germans with KAR98Ks taking bikes into battle and the sound of the bike bell chimes mixed with gunfire and clown cars with 8+ allies crashing into clown cars of 8+ axis and then debarking into a clusterfuck.
Shame how it turned out.

Hey your boss is back to check on you now, it's been 15 minutes and you haven't translated it yet? You wanna keep your job or what? I got a couple more for you too when you finish with that one, but don't take all day.

How would you write a character that ends all of his sentences with であります constantly refers to himself as 自分 and only uses formal versions of common nouns and adjectives?

What about another character that has a really heavy Osaka accent; how would you get the Japanese stereotype of a person from Kansai and how they speak and what they are like while keeping within the framework of the dialect without resorting to writing them like a regional American stereotype?

what where your issues with XBX?

Rule of Rose is the only "horror" game to make me disgusted by the characters and the things they did. Kids are cruel, and it's pretty crazy how far people will go when they don't realize the extent of their damage. The story and the way it's told is really interesting and there's a lot of "show, don't tell" going on. Super great romance story about a lesbian and an infinitely (un)lucky cross dressing hostage and her dog.

But whoever actually put the game together comes from another planet. It has really shitty combat which isn't important at first because you're supposed to run from fights but as the game goes on the combat becomes more prevalent until you're just going from one arena to the next. Jennifer doesn't have any period of hit invincibility so if you walk over a flopping fish or a puddle of acid you'll die in 3-4 seconds from full HP. The generic enemies can chain grab you up to 3 at the same time and they'll jump back on as quickly as you can throw them off. The hitboxes are weird and unfair most of the time and once you go below 50% health you move at like 1/3 of your normal speed which makes it way easier to get hit.

just use a meme instead

Yeah fuck that shit I can't stand that it's so unprofessional to just throw in some random meme that you think people are going to get or maybe only you find funny. It's fine if it's something relating to Japanese culture that the average English speaker familiar with say American culture wouldn't understand. It's more about companies wanting to make the most money and markets and translators and others that localize the game for release in the US often are out of touch with who actually plays the games.

There's one. Made by Ion Storm, witty dialogue, great characters (one of which is a fucking planet,) a few interesting locations, and then the game

is

extremely

s

l

o

w

and the music leaves a lot to be desired.

Adventuring is okay but the combat takes forever because it's so easy to crash the game. I'm always so afraid of letting my dudes attack right after each other because the game lets you queue up commands but doesn't cancel them or automatically switch targets if your first target dies in the meantime. Some of the special attacks are hilarious but they also take absolutely forever to finish.

This was actually the last game I preordered, I was 16 at the time. Unfortunately I lost my job 5 years ago (fine now) and being white I was declined any government help or unemployment and all I got from my mom was DONE WIPING YOUR ASS so I had to sell it to keep the house. Actually paid my bills for the month. Wish I still had it.

Blog aside, game was 100% on point in every department besides the mechanics. Visually, musically, cinematically, just great. At first I just glossed over the combat, then the game decides you need to use them in boss fights and you are in for a world of fuck.

And I'm not a hater of this style at all, Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game and I dumped hundreds of hours into Resident Evil Outbreak. It was like if every meme criticism of classic survival horror was actually true you'd have this game.

I don't know if it's infinite but I would just stockpile biscuits before every fight, Brown always found more, and if you do this the game is no problem but it's not exactly fun. Still I'd recommend it, it's certainly unique.

Oh boy, I should really save this as a pasta this time.

There are A LOT of problems with XBX.
On the surface you see shit like censorship, meme'd up translations, mischaracterization of certain characters, terrible fucking dubbing and outright cut feature that is boob slider.
Now one thing is trying to cut down fanservice, which is inexcusable in on itself, but when a female player that bought into space adventure and cute aliens or JPRG on WiiU can't make a character to look like herself because her boobs are too big/small, now this is a fucking retarded even by SJWs standards. What happened to muh representation?
There are patches that at least partially fix those - you can make an undub and you can uncensor clothes.
But boob slider seems to be too much of a technical problem to casually patch back in with 3rd party tools, and while it is theoretically possible to make re-translation of the entire script, nobody would do that, it's just unrealistic.
So even if you undub and uncesor game you're still left with bad, sometimes misleading "localization" and no boob slider. Sounds bad enough for some people to boycott game just because of that.

But it goes deeper.
Game is WiiU exclusive. And WiiU has weaker hardware than some modern mobile phones. Just let that sink in for a while.
As a result we get a game that is locked at 720p and 30 fps. And it still gets FPS dips in some situations and areas.
To add insult to the injury game's assets are quite high fidelity and pretty beautiful. But you can only verify that through rare official pre-renders or, surprise, fucking emulation. Game looks acceptable in native 4k and pretty damn good in 1080p.
Too bad the only way to experience it that way is through closed-source patreoned up emulator that may or may not be built on stolen nintendo code, we will probably never know.
And it still has its own problems like the need to look up precompiled shader cache or make it yourself by stuttering through the entire game as well as some bugs here and there.
Oh and most emulator versions are not compatible with it because lol zelda, so you need to find specific version of emulator too.
Does that sound bad? Because we're not through.

but is it fun?
I was considering trying it out - never played a xenoblade game before.

Game's director writer is none other than Tetsuya Takahashi, also known as Hideo Kojima of JRPGs.
Ever heard of Xenogears and how it is one of the best JRPGs ever made while not being even half of what it was supposed to be? Yep, that's because of Takahashin. Nigger wrote an Evangelion fan-fic in more pages than fucking War and Peace, and was still writing after goddamn game was released.
Fucking Xenosaga trilogy is like 3 times less than what he wanted it to be.
Guy might be a creative fountain, but writes too much. And plans too much. And doesn't know that money don't grow on trees.
The only more or less complete game written by him is Xenoblade 1, which is fucking miracle. I dunno how, maybe he was kept in check from get go, but XB1 turned out to be exactly what it was planned. I.e. nowhere near as huge as fucking Xenogears or Xenosaga.

And in XBX he was back at it. There were planned several human cities, at least two more continents, two times more unique characters. There was supposed to be an entire squad of girls like Elma, the Black Knight who only appears for 3 seconds after closing credits was fully designed and coupled with his unique mech, that never appeared in game.
Lone hero briefly mentioned in the opening and referenced a couple of times in-game was supposed to have an entire arc about him and elma and their fucking two-pilot mech Ares, that only appears for 2 seconds in the opening. And don't confuse it with Prog Ares, that was built from it using Earth tech.
Story itself was supposed to be about Elma, just like Xenogears was about Fei and XB1 was about Shulk. But nintendo forced in online component and custom silent protagonist, because I dunno, maybe they thought that "singleplayer MMO" is not supposed to be an insult.
And just like Xenogears and Saga this piece of shit is roughly half of what the author planned, despite how fuck-huge it is now. And it hurts the game more than any of the problems mentioned before. And not because evul corpuration didn't let "genius" to realize his potential, but because Takahashi is dumb fuck who can't plan and wastes his efforts and talent writing retarded fan-fiction instead of coherent stories like XB1, which was most likely a fluke.

Do you find playing something and seeing where it leads, how it can unfold and flourish and never reaching that point "fun"?
Do you find half-assed stories and concepts "fun"?
Do you find forced grinding and filler content "fun"?
Do you find seeing how resources, talents and development time was blatantly and horrendously mismanaged "fun"?
Humanity's life is on the clock, but run around saving cats and delivering pizza. Is that fun?
Is huge mechs having two times less HP than your token loli fun?
Is having cool and mysterious characters being introduced and instantly dropped off forever fun?
You tell me.
You fucking tell me.

It's not some arcade platformer where you can easily turn a blind eye on inconsistencies and fucks up like this, it's a goddamn grimdark RPG about humanity being on the bring on extinction.
I can't just ignore that. Can you?

Oh and spoilers humanity is extinct by the time you start the game.
Now go play Xenogears and suffer even more.

Ratchet & Clank. It's like a mix between Crash Bandicoot and Banjo-Kazooie, and I fucking LOVE those games, yet no entry in the entire series has made me want to get into it. My mom is totally into the series and has owned and 100% completed almost all of them, and she plays less vidya than I do.

Fire Emblem is also a series I want to get into, but every time I think about it i'm reminded how fucked the series is.

Oh so you're just a retard, that's all
Also
At least let me give you a little credit

dropped.

See you in FF12 thread.

I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions. The people I'm bitching about are the retards who always want a "literal translation" without realize that translating and localizing games for a broad audience is a difficult task, even more so when you have your head stuck up your ass.

What part of "mischaracterisation" you don't get?
In the original Lin is cheerful and friendly girl who only picks up on Tatsu because she finds him annoying and rarely Vandam because of "gentle giant" thing going for him so no way he can get back at a little girl. She's respectful to the most of the cast for the entire game.
But in the dub she's snarky cunt pestering everybody, including Elma. Hilariously enough nobody pays attention to that, because it's not like 8-4 could re-animate any of the cut-scenes so hopefully player will just address that to her being a kid.
They are two different, almost opposite characters between the original and the "localization".

If that alone is not fucking the product up beyond repair then I dunno what is.

Oh and by the end she stops picking up on Tatsu and starts to act friendly and caring towards him, because they grow into proper friends.
In the dub she keeps throwing shitty jokes and puns at him. It's absolutely fucking jarring during lifehold scenes.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Game

Stranding will be good. It gotta be good.
Fuck!

Git gud fucking loser.

If your ability to enjoy something and not feel like shit hinges on whether or not someone else's opinion is positive, there's something inherently wrong with you and you deserve to be bullied.

lel
3D Movie Maker was great, a modern day version of that would be amazing if they didn't fuck it up.

You're surprised?

it still hurts, this phantom pain won't go away.

I miss the sonorous clang of a dozen bells riding into battle with a bike battalion.

Also the consistent nerfs to germany. Makes me wish the cunts had stg-44's at the start of the war.

If memory serves, with Xenoblade Wii, he was originally going to apologize to NoJ for the amount of content he was going to have to cut to meet the then-deadline, only for NoJ to extend it so that he could make a better, more complete game (for once). Not that that didn't stop an area called "Bionis' Shoulder" from still being effectively cut out (the game still has the modeling as it's used in one cutscene towards the end, and thus people have been able to hack into it), but the plot doesn't make reference to it, nor does the player have much reason to believe they should try to head there. Is a bit funny though that the setting of one of the more common concept art images (pic related) is effectively set an area you can never legitimately reach.

But yeah, still the most complete game he's written for to my knowledge.

Literally every single fucking tank/plane game in the last decade. It should not be this tough to ask for a decently fun, attempts to be historically accurate, no pay to win game. But here we fucking are.

Final Fantasy XV.

It would have been nice to see it actually grow rather than just get fatter.

I threw out PoE because I found it dull and uninspiring and just failed to get into it, not sure if I got to Backer NPCs but they sound duly awful. I was vaguely considering giving it another go but that gives me further pause.

What can possibly be alluring in that shit pile even on paper?

Black Desert Online. Could be great, but ruined by RNG and a bad english publisher.

More like ruined by cutting content and gameplay mechanics and making it completely p2w.

God damn user, im sorry.
I played this game too and saw how much potential it had too, too bad it had to be lobotomized by nintendo.

The changeover from vanilla FFXIV to FFXIV ARR. Instead of fixing some of the heavy flaws in an extremely promising MMO they just went fuck it we're WoW FF edition now

Geez man

how do you fuck a game where you can tame, breed, and ride motherfucking dinosaurs? you make it an early access survival sandbox multiplayer game thats how.

Good thing I never touched that shitpile.

Source? I thought that was Monolith's descesion to remove the original fixed MC and replace it with a custom character creator MC and add online play.

Sorry mate but it was guaranteed shit from the start.

Skyforge.
Never trust a slav.

iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/0/2
They won't say that "it's nintendo who did this", but it's clearly not Takahashi's decision, who wrote the entire thing around Elma, to the point where you can hear her thoughts. Somehow.
Most likely because the scene was made before they switched to custom avatar.

Borderlands 2.
GOOD
Plays well. Player movement and control is pretty sharp and fluid.
Decent netcode. Latency ain't too bad.
Consistent visuals.
Runs on a potato.

BAD
Queerbox
Captain Cuck was a writer.
Pansy Bitchfraud wiped his balls all over it.
Rumor has it that the game was made with money embezzled from Sega. See the piss-poor Colonial Marines game that is NOTHING like the teaster trailer.
MEMES! MEMES EVERYWHERE.

Whosoever made the engine needs to be knighted. Almost everyone else needs to be boiled in burning shit.

Just remember that Kojima is also at fault.

Nigger, vanilla STALKER is still fine. It's only problem are the glitches.
You might as well stop using a computer you inbred nigger.

this game is, without a doubt the worst. I blame dark horse comics for derailing Alex Mercer personality and making a shitty tie-in comic about a angry black guy. I hate activision also

Shadow of War would be an amazing game if the story missions were removed along with the lootboxes and the grindwalls put into the game to incentivize them. It would be one of the best sandbox games ever made if it was built as purely a sandbox instead of a story-based grindfest piece of shit.

Stalker requires literally one "mod" which is just the unofficial patch, and then it's good to go. What are you talking about?

Do you think there's a chance XB2 will deliver?

Between blatant waifubait and underage protagonist It looks like the opposite of what Xeno series was about until now.
Hopefully they can still pull some dark shit with it, but I wouldn't count on it.
With this direction Xenoblade 3 could be another Neptunia game.

I mean the very first phrase in the trailer. Kid says about going to paradise, but subtitles say Elysium.
So whatever religious references there might be are gutted, just like in XBX.
Never buy from jewtendo.

Do you think this more kid friendly tone may turn out to actually be a red herring to catch you off your guard?

Of course it's possible.
BOF4 looks extremely kids-friendly, but it's one of the darkest games out there.

God I love that game.

I think it's the only JPRG that I played that doesn't have a terribly annoying party member that I want to strangle with my two hands.
I didn't play a whole lot of them though.

the things you mention are miniscule in comparison to the fact that it's still BF3 sold for the 3rd time, BF3 itself being impossibly shit

Yes user, popular games can't be good, we know that.

Space Station 13.

Incredibly depth to mechanics with an unmatched capacity for emergent gameplay ruined by a shitpile of a community obsessed with LE EBIN GRIFFING XD that never does anything besides start fires and hit each other with toolboxes.

Memetale was decent until you hit core town and the lesbo dinossaur.
Until then it was just a nice little game with comic relief characters, no forced meme shit just skeleton puns at that point, with a few decent songs thrown around. The moment you step foot on the core you get:

bump

You can still kill 'em all if ya' wanted.
They were all placed near the endgame because the dumb dev thought he was being clever by slowly steeping you into that shit. "Since you've already been nice to everyone before, despite their faults, will you still be nice if they're tumblr-tier faggots?"

Nigger that's not what I meant, and you know it. I'm saying I don't bother with anything new because some asshat executive is going to come along, and butcher it. Fucking reading comprehension you inbred mongoloid.

EVERYTHING got fucked with at some point, from the gameplay to the tone with fucking chingchong and western gunslinger frames all the way to unneeded comedy relief glitchy cube boy. Plains of Eidolon actually made Operators semi decent, but then they broke Transference because they didn't want people flying around by using space babbys in tandem with frames which was the fucking point of the new Focus and Operator shit to begin with. Took them a month to pull their heads out of their ass and bring it back in a limited state.

I just wanted CUHRAYZEE Star Wars: Jedi Knight with actual bushido and japanese grimdark shit and not Jedi light/dark cuckoldry

Honestly, I would have preferred it if they were more upfront with that, instead of the twist and related stuff that they tried to feed you.

Dwarf Fortress sounds amazing until you're trying to read a burgeoning pioneer fortress and surrounding hostile wildlands defined by squiggles and segmented by z-levels through a UI designed by Satan himself.

It just won't stop hurting

It's really not that hard. I'd hardly consider myself an autist either. The graphics don't make sense at first, but suddenly it clicks and everything makes sense if you just watch someone play. The most autistic aspect of the game is the military, and making crazy projects with your vast resources once you attain them.

Wew.

It goes further and deeper than that with warframe.
I could spend all day writing walls like explaining how every single aspect of WF is fucked in more ways than one right down to fucking lifebars.
But I have better things to do. At least Takahashi is a man of talent and the design team was competent to a point of making game that more or less follows his ideas.
Steve and his cokebois on the other hand are hacks and every single talented person involved in warframe is long gone, last one being the dude behind some of the best Deluxe skins.
Fuck DE and fuck everyone who still eats that shit up.

FUCK THIS MADE ME LIVID!

I picked it up thinking the same thing and found it to be a step backwards in almost every aspect from its predecessors.

The Magic Circle

It introduced so many interesting, innovative, and fun to use mechanics and then did so little with them.

It introduced a believable and all-too-common game industry story with some interesting twist elements and then fucked that story up completely at the end.

It came so close to being my goty that year but it just didn't quite make it.

Fix: Play the Dark Sector game that came before it. Same universe, far superior, nobody to ruin it.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Haha.
No.

From Software only make games that are good on paper but poor in execution that's like
their whole thing.

didn't they stop cthulhu by just hitting him with a fuckin boat

It was ages since I've read that shit. Did they just sail away from it?

He's waking up, he's coming up out the water, and they just crash a regular old boat into his head and that stops him iirc

Perhaps they should get gud and just unfuck the translation instead of giving the nuGeneration babby mode.

Last night I got to try Windforge.
That game has a very solid core and a bunch of fun mechanics.
Sadly, the devs abandoned and a lot of things remained as placeholders.
It's a damn shame.

Dont remind me

Actually, they drive the boat THROUGH his head and punch a hole.
They sail for a mile or so thinking "wew, we're safe, right?" Then one of them looks through his telescope and has a terror-induced seizure (dies shortly later, heart failure) while the other guy looks at the horizon and sees a formless green mass re-shaping itself. He has the sense to NOT look at it with the telescope and just drive the fuck out of there.

Indian cultists later kill him by dropping a fucking sarcophagus on his head.

Rainbow six siege
They never truly improved the netcode, DLC ops look more and more out of place, took them almost 2 years to fix the brightness issue when looking outside and esports pandering out of the ass

Fate Extella