What is your favorite video game of 2017 so far?

What is your favorite video game of 2017 so far?

Probably Cuphead. Since it's rare to have a game without political commentary.

I just want to play video games. Is is too hard to ask?

probably cuphead. haven't played much of it, but its fun.
also, the turok 2 remaster which was top notch.

Battle Brothers

ur mom

Everspace

Hollow Knight

But user, its racist dontcha know? It has commentary on racial stereotypes because of its 1930s animation style!

Skyrim special edition

Your mother.

I don't even know what came out this year. I guess Nier or Cuphead, but I didn't enjoy either enough to beat either of them fully.

By saying that you have invited all the political shitposters into the thread, congrats.

Prey (worthy system shock 2 spiritual successor) was the best game this year so far

Vidya this year has been so uninspiring I can't think of one that impressed me enough to consider it the best of the refuse. Did DaS3 release this year or last?

It happens every thread already.

Yeah, prey was alright. Bethesda should never have called it prey though, and should have let the devs complete their trauma stuff and shit. They shouldve contracted someone to finish prey 2 too.

I didn't play it until just last week

West of Loathing was pretty okay, pretty damn basic combat but having random encounters that are actually kind of interesting puts it ahead for me.

Yakuza 0, Cuphead, and somewhat Persona 5.

What are you, a fucking fenceshitter? :^)

Hollow knight was this year? It was pretty good.
Cuphead right there in second place.
Then Sonic Mania.

FE:Echoes for being a good remake and the most decent Fire Emblem since Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance
Cuphead for all the reasons everyone have said before already
Fire Pro Wreslting Returns
The Observer, which is essentially Blade Runner: The game, aside from the previous PC title, who's god-tier btw
Not a 2017 per say, but the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 3 was bloody fun

o shit forgot about "The End is Nigh".
That was pretty cool too, Liked it more than Sonic Mania.

Etrian Odyssey V, I guess. I actually forget about most games I play, even if I actually play them to completion, so this will have to be my answer because it's fresh on my mind. That said it still deserves the spot.

Yakuza 0 and Sonic Mania for me tbh

dissapointed in you Holla Forums

Certainly great, but like Nier 1 the endgame is an awful slog if you want to see the true ending.

Hob. It's LoZ: A Link To The Past combined with The Neverhood. Comfy and pretty.

Huh. I haven't actually played any video games this year.

Fuck off Marketing department
even ironically shitposting I'm not helping you do your job

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]

Same as this guy tbh.

I think Cuphead is the only 2017 game I actually have. It wins by default, but I can't think of any 2017 games that I'd have enjoyed more.

Darkwood no I'm not talking about your mothers average night out.

Your mom and sister

Hunter: Call of the Wild. Great concept, somewhat decent graphics that would be way better if the devs weren't double-digit retards and actually bothered with the lighting.
The game is still filled with bugs though. And some design decisions were so utterly fucking retarded that I had to find what the dev team looked like.
To my surprise, pic related is the kind of people responsible for the massive amount of bugs, abhorrent performance and lack of content.

Persona 5 and Mario Odyssey have grabbed me by my balls and they won't let go

What is the appeal?

I can tell you what appeals to me, but I can't really speak for other people.

I'm a sucker for psychology and the Jung psychology aspects of the game have always interested in me. I really like stories where gods interfere with humanity, and shows the strength of human beings and individualism. I really enjoy games where I can get to know characters on a more personal level in a contemporary setting.

Gameplay wise it's not far too complex, but it's complex enough to make some parts challenging (not that I have a problem with games that are harder and more complex, I just like the simplicity of it), I love mixmatching abilities and exploiting weaknesses to chain more hits in on enemies. I love the Confident system and how they mix together a way to make a VN style narrative have great gameplay benefits.

Also I think Shoji Meguro is one of the greatest video game composers ever and he progressively gets better with each project he works on.

Also you can fuck a teacher that wears a maid outfit, which is high in the lists of god tier fetishes

Okay but why not either

A) Play a game with much more satisfactory gameplay

OR

B) Just drop the act and read a VN with themes you enjoy and get rid of the slog of EXTREMELY subpar gameplay mechanics

No. We are talking about yours.

Fallout 4

Won it on a raffle and I've enjoyed it far more than I imagined.

P5 satisfies that specific niche that provides some challenge at some points yet admittedly mostly easy.

There's definitely an appeal to something that's simple mechanically yet can still be incredibly enjoyable.

Because I don't think it's offensively subpar that it becomes not enjoyable at all. In fact, I really enjoy the gameplay, but if I wanted a game that's more complex or challenging with similar aspects to Persona that I like, I'd play a mainline SMT game, which I do.

And reading a VN just isn't the same as playing a game that has some VN elements. A game that has VN elements can let you do a lot more things than what you're limited to in VN.

Yakuza Zero

8/10

You persona players seem chill but as soon as someone arrives in a thread and goes
You all lose your shit

So what's P5 like anyways?

I know only about a few Morgana memes, but P4 was about solving a murder mystery

I haven't played a single new game all year. And yet, I've had a blast.

The most recent game that I'd remotely consider adding to my list of favorites was Dragon's Dogma from 2012.

You lobotomize people to make people confess their sins

Hollow Knight without question
followed by Cuphead

Hands down,

I'm a huge Mario fan and Odyssey is godlike but I have to say; the GOTY has to be The Evil Within 2. The ending sequence is just fantastic and best of all, there's even a Fallout reference lol! You guys should check out other games published by Bethesda like Fallout 4 and Skyrim as well! They have excellent mod support from this thing called the Creation Clubâ„¢.

Not saying it's objectively the best game of the year but it's the one I enjoyed myself the most with.
If this were a perfect world Overgrowth would be there instead but the dev appearently spent a gazillion years fucking around doing nothing and making a decent physics engine that fucks way too much with the platforming levels and the exact same combat system from lugaru only with said physics system(which truth be told makes it pretty worthwhile) but he just had to fuck it up and make the leg cannon so unbelievably overpowered it's essentially the only part of the combat system.

Super Robot Wars V

Divinity 2 is the only correct answer

But he's explained patiently, politely and at length why he prefers playing Persona to any alternatives listed above.
Persona games to me are games that glue dungeon crawler to a VN, with both aspects being sub-par, but I get his point of view.

Yes.

But Persona 3 and 4's soundtracks are objectively worse than 1 and 2's.

It's not rare at all though, that's only really a big thing in Western Dogshit.

I really enjoyed RimWorld, thanks to the recommendation of that user in the Kenshi thread

Mine is Nier Automata.

I still have to try it.

Supreme taste there, user.

Get the fuck >>>/out/

Aww, poor baby.

[insert joke flying over your head]

L.A. Noir is far from perfect but every time I see one of those webms, I want to replay it.

Seconded.

Honestly GOTY threads are all shit and bring out the worst fucking users out of the woodwork.

You're not entirely wrong though.

I just want to find a game worth playing but I just fundamentally don't have the same taste as most of Holla Forums so it's mostly a wash

wtf is wrong with you guys.

You're not suggesting you had to grind to get to ending E?

Shit man I was overleveled by the time I got there

You have the Evil Within 2 though

I don't know what to tell you, user. In spite of all the shitposting, I consider most of Holla Forums to have a pretty good taste in vidya. So I'm curious: What games do YOU like?

No PS4.

I fucking love that game

Skyrim for Nintendo Switch

I don't really like genres so much as individual games. I like Bloodborne, but not Dark/Demon Souls. I like Dishonored 2 and Prey, but not Hitman or Splinter Cell. I love Toukiden 2, but can't stand Monster Hunter games. I love King of Fighters, but can't stand Street Fighter. I really enjoyed Sanctum and Sanctum 2, but can't stand games like Orcs Must Die.

I just like different things.

Sheesh, aren't you a special fucking snowflake.
No kidding you don't like most of the good games. You have some seriously shit taste there, user. I don't think you belong here. Consider going into a containment thread.

BOTW.
It's not a perfect game, far from it, but I found it super comfy. I really love games that just let you explore and experiment. Super Mario Odyssey is also great at this, maybe even better because the bird gives you hints that are basically riddles to solve to find the stars.
I really hope Nintendo decide not to throw away the groundwork they've done with these two games, and work on immediate sequels and follow ups that build on the groundwork, especially as BOTW had some great ideas but also some glaring flaws that could be reworked and or done away with completely while keeping the good stuff intact.

there is no reason

to be upset

ELEX

are there any mods to make the MC not-bald yet?

does it hit too close home?

Why can asians not into english? It always sounds like engrish. Even in K-On, where they're supposed to be British.

Because their languages might as well be alien. They have practically zero in common with Latin and Germanic languages. It's cute that they try though.

Waifus

You won't need that no more in 5 days.

i don't play modern games cause i'm not a braindead retard. my favorite game of 2017 is probably monster hunter: freedom unite.
sorry for disappointing you good goys.

Neck yourself lad

Have any games received a big-ass update or expansion lately? I figured I might as well start listing those as well.

Automata is a fucking mess of a game. A 10/10 story doesn't change that fact.

Nothing.

Considering all the talk about Yakuza 0 is there anything I need to know about the story before playing the game? I'm a double nigger and never played an Yakuza game.

Meltys Quest
ez

Your list is shit so you might as well stop.

What about it?

Try Divinity OS2.
It's literally the only game I cared about and enjoyed this year.
2018 looks bleak, unless there is an expansion pack.

Cute Chen, but please post happier Chens.

The only 2017 release I've played is BotW. Bad Zelda game, but as a comfy game its pretty good. Hebra Mountains are extremely comfy

So, trash?

What about it?

That's what "comfy" means.
"Trash but I like it"

>Grimoire Did Cleve ever release the manual?
List could use some work

as a whole I feel the game is okay. Not bad nor good, but just okay. It's just the atmosphere stands out the most to me.

meant for

uh which game are you talking about?

I don't have a mother. Checkmate, atheist.

Botw

I didn't even mention BOTW in my post, user. If you like it, that's just like, your opinion man. I've never played it and i never will, but I understand why you'd like it.

aw shit i majorly fucked up

meant for

Ha you were confusing the shit out of me there.
Get your shit together nigger

very well

I love your lists user
Never stop
STOP

Yo Noid 2.

It's not THAT bad

It is.

Compared to what we could have had? Yes, it's atrocious.

you cant compare it to something that doesnt exist

Cuphead, Yakuza 0, and recently (mostly because it is free) Doki Doki It's not Oki Oki. Scared me more than most horror games lately. I fucking hate Yuri obsessively staring at you more than anything else in the world.

What are you, 15?

Persona 5 is more of a hero story, where you go after criminals and make them confess all their crimes by going into their "palace", which is their manifestation of the criminals corrupted and negative thoughts, and stealing whatever treasure they most hold dear to them.

You all lose your shit
I've grown used the bashing and at this point find it funny.

Endless Space 2. Best ayy waifu.

I want >>>/neofag/ to leave.

The fact you enjoy Cuckhonored and Nu-Prey is proof you're younger than 15. >>>/cuckchan/
>>>/neofag/

user Persona has great gameplay. Its a top notch dungeon crawler. Not a fan of the VN bullshit, but its got cute girls

I didn't like those steve buscimi eyes she got occasionally but yandere is best.

You just throw out buzzwords without even understanding why, don't you?

I was not sympathetic of that anons sperging until (you) dignified it with a response.
>>>/neofag/

yandere a shit