Gamepads vs keyboard

Why do so many people prefer gamepads and claim that they "cannot play" with keyboard controls?

For me it's the opposite, I find keyboard much more comfortable since I feel like I can press more of the important keys at the same time. Attack, jump, dash/dodge/parry/whatever, possibly another key like run or crouch, and 3 movement keys can all the pressed at once on a keyboard. I just saw a gamepad advocate struggle because apparently jumping around and aiming/shooting down at the same time was hard for him, but that's not even an question on a keyboard since you can press all of those keys at the same time without even thinking about it.

Furthermore I've never ever used a gamepad on PC where the analog sticks weren't utterly fucked and pointing in wrong directions and having enormous dead zones at random positions, and I've tried at least 6 completely different ones bought from different places including an expensive muh pro gaymer gamepad.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Controller-Windows-Console/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1509641513&sr=1-5&keywords=xbox 360 controller
inputmapper.com/downloads
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It depends on the kind of game. Gamepads and joysticks are better for fightans, platformers, racers, shmups, anything consoley or arcadey. Meanwhile, keyboard and mouse are better for first person shooters, strategy, adventure, and so on.

I understand gamepads for games that can make use of the 360 directions and variable depth of analog sticks, like 3D platformers. There may also be a few games where the control scheme favors the ability to hold fingers on the shoulder keys, but pretty much anything else is better with a keyboard or keyboard+mouse in my opinion, especially 2D platformers.

Controllers are better for casual shit that you dont even have to try, like these over the shoulder TPS games from consoles. I also use them on games where you have to press a button quickly multiple times do something you need all the time like a dash.

Some games work better with one, while others work best with another.
Really? I just have a 360 controller I bought specifically for my computer, it works out of the box just fine, even on Ubuntu.

Only for racers is keyboard inferior.

first person games
strategy games
everything else

The true center of a joystick "drifts", that's why you have a deadzone, to add more onto joysticks, the actual position on the sticks get rounded off.
Honestly it's better to get full analog arcade sticks, racing wheel or those fancy laser keyboards, even though it's 0 to 255.

jesus fucking christ not again

you fags need to git gud

Keyboards are better for FPS, RTS, and point and click games

Pads are better for literally everything else. Problem solved.

Pads can surpass KB+M in literally every single way if only they made one little upgrade.
a Trackball

put a keyboard in the middle, so my arms are spread out.
does the trackball have mouse acceleration, a good kind of mouse acceleration where it caps off after a bit of throw

I've tried all kinds of software adjustments to it but nothing ever truly fixes them, usually I prefer keyboard controls to gamepads even when I'm playing 3D adventure/platformer games because the joysticks are so utterly unworkable.

What? Surely we're not thinking about the same thing because there's no way you're unironically suggesting this gimmicky shit for gaming.

Have any more hot opinions?

some keyboards now have analog input

When you need/want to use it like a mouse, instead of a stick, the magnet (as shown in the diagram) will turn off, letting the ball spin loose like a normal trackball, giving you mouse-like control.

If you think I'm kidding, I can pretty much prove Controllers are damn close to surpassing KB+M in FPS games by using my 3 year old Controller set up for STALKER as an example. And now that I have a Dualshock 4 Controller, I've even gotten over the Inventory control hurdle by using the trackpad to drag and drop items easily, as one would with a mouse.

Even if Analog was limited to only specific keys that would need it, I doubt they would ever be cheaper than the most expensive controller (within reason of course. Ex: the Elite controllers)

A regular xbox controller is what, $50? That's 5x as much as any sane person should be willing to pay for a god damned toy. I am not even joking, modern controlers are overpriced plastic.

Dualshock 4 is $60, and you get a hell of a lot for that.

Blutooth connectivity, trackpad, pressure sensitive triggers, etc.

Good luck finding a good mechanical keyboard with or without a mouse at that price or lower.

Are you new??

Yeah right, here's my graph "proving" that gamepads are for brainlets.

Basically a whole bunch of nothing after "bluetooth". Sorry I don't need that gimmicky crap, I need a controller that doesn't break for sneezing on it. Remember, the more you pay for plastic, the less you're getting.

here's your (you), laser keyboard fag

I am not using my keyboard for a modern QTE shitfest with mandatory button mashing.
Still the precision offered by a mouse is unparalleled when compared the shitty analog sticks of a controller. Most controllers have a shitty dpad too so any precision based platforming is dead on arrival.

Mostly is comes down to what your body is used to dealing (it's difficult to swap between them if you have years of experience with one or the other.
Also, unless you're a particularly high-level player, the cap on what you can do with either is more likely to be personal than rooted in the hardware. Obviously FPS and RTS/RTT are an exception to this rule.

Coolermaster CM Storm comes with cherries (mine has brown, I think blues are also an option) and I paid $45 dollarydoos for it, so it's certainly available for less than $60 burger bucks.

If your game doesn't involve pointing in directions, mice are not useful. Keyboards lack things like analog inputs, pressure sensitivity, directional pads, and no triggers. Keyboards are useful for games with a lot of commands that are simple in execution.

Gamepads are better for everything else.

It's up to personal preference really. Some people play DMC with keyboard controls even though it feels disgusting whenever I've tried it.

Sounds like a faggot who's never developed mastery of his preferred tools. That's been a common controller skill since games like Mega Man and Contra. Maybe earlier than that.
As a rule, don't buy any game accessories marked for pro gaymerz, they're usually shit, and always overpriced. Just use an PS or XB controller.

Arcade flight and flight sims are objectively better with analog sticks or flight sticks. Have you never played Ace Combat? Keyboards are great because they have a large number of inputs, but some games are objectively worse without certain specialized inputs. This was made extremely obvious during the transition to analog sticks in the 90s. Try playing a 3D platformer like Mega Man Legends 2 using the standard PS1 controller, and then try it with a dualshock. When you have bullets coming at you from every direction, you're going to want more than the 8 directions enabled by the D-pad to escape. Using WASD for a game like that is the same. It's doable, but objectively worse.

Because there are so many games that use those "features" right?
Never mind that the DS4 has even less pressure sensitive buttons than the DS3 and 2 and the fact that all modern controllers have completely trash Dpads.

Have you played it with a mouse m8? It makes the game a joke.

Stop with the bullshit, if you want to play a flight sim you don't do it with a controller either.

Every 3d game in the past 20 years

Sorry you can't afford a game pad, maybe mommy will get you one for Christmas

If you're so rich why don't you purchase the proper input devices for each genre instead of using a controller?

First off, let me say I love keyboard+mouse. I play all my first person shooters with kb+m, but all your points are bullshit.
You can most certainly press at least 4 buttons comfortably at once on a gamepad (bumpers+two face buttons), 6 if you also press both triggers, but there's hardly ever a time, even on PC exclusives where you need to press that many buttons within a very small time window.
Surely this man has brain problems. I've never met anyone this retarded, so I seriously don't know what to tell you.
It's not even a question on the gamepad.

Did you just get the cheapest gamepad you could get? I always use a DS3 for emulation, and it works fine.
What controller was this exactly? I know there were lots of complaints with those special xbox one controllers being broken, but other than that I don't know what to say.

… are you talking about the wannabe call of duty one? you actually played that???

Bruh, the PC community has known KB+M are shit for flight sims since the invention of the flight sim. are you high???

Get a job, you retarded jewish NEET

To clarify, I mean all at once. Not that it's uncomfortable to do so.

Even asscreed has a dedicated sneak button on consoles.
The only company that seems to have even bothered with analog sticks actually having a use is Nintendo and even then it just comes off as a gimmick(Odyssey has two jump buttons but no walk toggle)

I haven't, but I doubt it's as fun as using a flight stick. I'll give it a shot just so I know the difference.

I specifically mentioned flight sticks, and differentiated between Arcade Flight and Flight Sim. You would play Ace Combat with a controller, but not a proper flight sim, in which you would need a keyboard in addition to a flight stick, unless you're a richfag who has a full cockpit setup.

I do, just not ones I don't play like flight sims or iidx controllers. Keyboard and mouse are useful for 2 types of games. Pale in comparison to controllers. Not hard to understand this unless your a cherry shill. Alps was better anyway.

You do realize you can map mouse to analog stick movement when emulating right?

So are controllers. You're the one shilling them for flight sims for some retarded reason.

Name any genre that is better played with a controller (besides driving) and I will tell you why you're wrong.

u wot

3D Platformers, as already mentioned here:

Also, full house.

2d Platformer. Probably don't even understand the rocking mechanism in a dpad. Fighting games too. And 3d platformers. And movement focused games with sequential inputs that lack of an input buffer in keyboards means they can't handle it.

Many more too. Go ahead, get all autistic, I've heard the arguments before about retarded work arounds. I masteres the flight school with the numpad in san andreas, justified it and used to be in your position. Then i got a job and never looked back.

Handling is much better with an analog stick or pressure-sensitive triggers compared to a keyboard and mouse.

Shitting on the streets is better than shitting in your bed.
Doesn't mean you need to do any of those.

you use a racing wheel + pedals, retard

No shit?

There's no keyboard+mouse scheme that feels comfortable enough for me to play a Souls game on. That's my only problem with it.

Yeah all those wireless controllers with mandatory input lag sure are great for games which require frame perfect timing.
Never mind that the DS3 was banned from EVO.

Not required, a keyboard and mouse will work just as well depending on what you're used to. All the controller gimmicks are irrelevant, if you can move and jump with digital input then a keyboard suffices. Mouse is better for camera control too.

The default one. I can't even imagine playing a Souls game with a controller when where you're looking at is so important, mouse > sticks for camera control any day.

Maybe but I've always found it easier to play 2D platformers, emulated or otherwise, with a gamepad instead of a KB/M.

Conversely KB/M is the only way to play a FPS/strategy/adventure game.

Then theres specialized peripherals, like arcade sticks, flight sticks, and steering wheels, which are deisgned specifically for a genre or individual game.

Two of those categories suffer if they are played exclusively with a KB/M

Try enjoying Nier Autómata on a keyboard, it sucks.

Games with less number of commands but that require more precision may be better played on a keyboard. As I experienced with dustforce. The default layout may feel awkward at first but eventually it's evident it's for the best performance

If you spend on simulator peripherals it's your choice but a good game pad is $40 at most and does the job for a wide range of games.

Nobody's arguing about whether they're required, they're arguing about whether one solution is better than another.
You fucking wot, m8?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Do you own a car, or do you get to work by bike or horse? Or are those for casuals who can't handle walking?

This video was not made with a controller. This is 3D platforming that is exclusively played on the PC. Do tell me how you'd do this better with a controller.

It's just a matter of preference for most games, some people find controllers more comfortable. I got used to them through playing the PS2 and just find them more comfortable to use for some games but I will nearly always use a keyboard for things like RTS and FPS.

Some faggots will come into the thread and bitch about how one is for casuals but it's just a matter of what you find comfortable holding and using.

Yes a niche engine exploit game mode that appeals exclusively to valve game players vs a genre which still pushes millions with new games.
Galaxy brain tier comparison

M8 are you retarded
Even then wireless controllers are far better than wireless mice and keyboards

Ds4 has a proper rocking mechanism, and why are you pretending there isn't two dozen viable controllers predating these which are still used today

You mean something no one uses?
Wireless controllers are something that ship with the system and that is the best you're gonna get for 60$.
It doesn't. You haven't used a proper dpad in your life because games have been casualized to the point of not needing one.
Like what? You're gonna use your Saturn pad on your PS4?

The shining truth has been presented, close your eyes if you can't handle it. It's fine to use a controller, but never say it is superior, because it is by design made to be simple and this limits what you can do with it.

A lot of people are idiots. News at 11.

Do you even realize how desperate you sound?
I might as well post a video of a game where you move a dot through tunnels that are only parallel to Secondary InterCardinal directions and ask you how a keyboard can handle it with only eight degrees of movement.

In what way would I be gimped by using a keyboard and mouse when playing Mario 64? Legit question, I don't see any aspect of the game that absolutely requires a controller or a stick.

A mouse is useless for Mario 64.

Come on user.

That's not what people mean when they say 3D Platformer, they mean a game like the 3D Marios. You posted an FPS. Furthermore, that's a physics exploit in the Source engine which emerged, not something that was designed.
I wouldn't, because I'm a shit surfer. But giving a skilled player degrees of movement in the air, rather than digital movement, could open options to improve how they maneuver. Of course, the majority of movement in surfing is done by moving the mouse, because it's the only tool which allows for directional precision among the ones which the original game was specifically designed for, the mouse and keyboard. Surfing wouldn't be directly improved by simply moving to a controller, because an analog stick is less precise than a mouse, which matters greatly for the head movement. However, surfing could be improved by degrees of movement. Suppose you could use a controller in your left hand instead, or that your keyboard also had an analog stick to the left of WASD. You would be able to make fine directional corrections mid-air without having to alter where you're looking with the mouse. That is an objective improvement, and you'd better believe that someone as skilled as the person in that video would learn to take full advantage of it, since it's another tool at his disposal.

But again, surfing is an emergent exploit, not a designed concept, and while it contains platforming in 3D, it is not the 3D Platforming genre. I was asking that you counter the argument for something like Super Mario 64.

See, your personal definitions of 3D platformer are irrelevant, CS surfing is 3D platforming because it requires you to jump from platform to platform. And it's not an emergent exploit, surfing has been around for almost as long as the game itself. What makes Mario64 hard, the level design or the shit ass controls and camera spawned from Nintendo's not knowing what they were doing with 3D yet?

Are you actually autistic? It's said flat out. If it's a game with pointer controls (rts, fps in particular) a mouse is better. Stop being a retard.

surfing isn't platforming btw, its surfing.
-t. surf legends pro

then why bring up wireless play at all?

wire it, and the limit is USB polling.
see how it's not sitting flat? rocking mechanism. kill yourself shill.
hori fighting commander

I have drawn it out. An analog stick is the most direct way to handle movement because it allows for more than 8 directions. Note the final rotated Start. A KB+M can achieve the same number of directions in conjunction with each other, but require twice as many movements to do so. You essentially have to use the mouse to reorient the keyboard's 8 directions every time you want one that's not in the current 8. A mouse can achieve the same degrees of motion as an analog stick, but it doesn't reorient itself to center, meaning the player has to handle it, and if speed is a question, programmers have to come up with bullshit workarounds to interpret how fast the mouse is moving, rather than just interpreting how far a stick is pushed.
You keep arguing over what's required, and nobody else is doing that. An analog is better for the task, not required.

That's not my personal definition, that's the definition that fucking everybody uses for that particular genre.
Just like every game with character creation is a roleplaying game, right?
That has absolutely nothing to do with whether an analog stick is better than a mouse and keyboard for 3D Platforming, even in that specific game.

The base game doesn't have an emphasis on platforming but surfing maps/servers do, so he's technically right.

it is also important to consider the resistive quality of analog sticks and the ability to create shapes. with a central point kept in mind.

What about controller and mouse?

Depends on the game. I actually hurt my fingers trying to play Cave Story on a keyboard. Switched to a controller and didn't have any problems afterward. It's also better for your wrists to not be in the typing position if you can help it.

get out

What about 2 mice?

You need a master level drummer's coordination to pull that one off.

Something like GTA is best with a gamepad because of how many different types of vehicles you're going to be getting in and out of, as are fighting games. Flight games are best with a HOTAS. Driving games are best with a FFB wheel and pedal set. And everything else is best with K&M.FPS are easily the best example of just how superior a game can be with a K&M setup as compared to a controller. People on console legit consider those XIM 4 things cheating on first person shooters.

Yes, I tried to express that in my first paragraph, but worded it terribly.

Forgot to address:
I said it Emerged, not that it's Emergent. I don't mean that it's currently developing, I mean that it was accidentally created as a result of how the physics engine works.

Do you think Dark Souls is a fighting game since technically you fight people in it?

Yes? What do you think Dark Souls is?

No. I actually play Hotline Miami that way but with a regular Hori PS4 controller plus a mouse.

Yes, just like how every game is technically a roleplaying game because you play the role of a character.

That's actually sounds pretty cool, I want to try this.

There are cases where this actually would be effective. Incidentally, surfing is one such case.

The only games I prefer with a gamepad are 3D platformers, and there are so few of those nowadays that it's kind of irrelevant. I don't play fightan, and for everything else I prefer K+M for one simple reason: you can play one handed. Insert jackoff jokes here, but it's actually comfy, being able to drink something while playing, or just simply scratch my nose without stopping playing the game.

Pic unrelated.

First Person
Third Person
Strategy
Platformer
Point&Click
Absolutely nothing. You're a lying sack of dogshit if you say otherwise.
Racing.

Kill yourself retard. Once you fix the game's controls, it becomes much better on a keyboard. It completely roflstoms the gamepad. As for driving, that's what racing wheels are for you dummy.

It is actually a bitch to set it up.
Normally, the game keeps switching between keyboard&mouse and gamepad if you try that with JoyToKey. However, you can run JoyToKey with your desired layout, run the game in big picture mode (I know (((Steam))) ), hold the guide button, select turn off controller, and play.

You scratch your face with your right hand? Otherwise, I know what you mean; it's pretty comfy.

When you're playing a shooter and you get inside a vehicle, do you pause the game and switch to the racing wheel?

I wonder how this french fuck is doing these days.

Oh so when I'm not driving I'm shooting and controlling a camera? I'd have to be a literal double-digit nigger to play with a controller when half the time I'm shooting.
You can drive just fine. Sure it's not as absolutely pixel-perfect as driving with a gamepad but it doesn't matter. If it's a game with a camera and a gun, then it's superior with a keyboard+mouse.

It's pretty simple

dunno but I guess it's only preference when it comes to games but can see how someone would like fps on a controller if they are into auto-aim and locked 30fps then controllers work.If you are not a faggot and need the 60fps,Keyboard and mouse without auto aim then PC is the only friend one needs.

Also RTS is the only game genre that works exclusively on PC too bad there is so much shit when it comes to RTS.

Settlers 2 did it as well so fuck you.

non gamers don't understand the concept behind wasd. Back then we would do lan parties in school and it took ages for non gamers to figure out the keyboard.

Keyboards are designed for typing

Esdf is better and kbm is only good for 2 genres

I use a Dualshock 4 to play the following:

Doom 1 and 3
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament
Fallout Tactics
Team Fortress 2

I get the arguement that keyboard and mouse are better, I just like having a smaller range of buttons that do multiple things via XPadder. Unreal has a center-snap button, XPadder allows me to toggle this option and even press 1 button to completely change my button mappings. Keyboard and mouse are still superior, but I also really really like the Dualshock 4 controller. That being said, whether I use a keyboard and mouse or a controller I am still shit so I don't really care. Also Fallout Tactics on a controller is actually kinda fun, just gotta git gud (ALSO FUCK THE FIRST LEVEL, RNG CAN KISS MY MELEE/HEAVY GUNS BUILD ASS).

Also I can FaN jump on TF2 and still land my shots, just up that look sensitivity and turn look accel way the fuck down.

This triggers me.

funny thread cause at this precise I've been on a gaming console binging

my perspective, gamepads are definetely way more comfortable to play with, you can just sit back and relax with arms down, while keyboard+mouse encourages basically being hunch over the table
games designed to be worked over gamepads (aka most console games) also need to have more streamlined interface, since you don't have a gazillion keys to remember, keys are mostly context sensitive and that is good game design

the sticks however are a big annoying thing, aiming with a gamepad is really the worst,
my specific one (generic dualshock) is complete trash, and I was looking forward to buying a higher brand one but maybe sensitivity is screwed up with all of them?

another thing about gamepads over PC too, is game compatibility, somehow the xbone one sort of set the standard for most games, to the point that even a playstation one is not that compatible
some games will have mapping while others will straight out only support xbox,
plus steam also helped out with that, providing their own mapping mechanics, unfortunately steam doesn't provide a sensitivity feature, and a lot of times rumble will not work properly

so tl;dr, gamepads are cool and confortable, they're pretty good to use for most gaming experience, but lack standards for the PC, a lot of times lacking in compatibility with games

agree that PS controller scheme is (and always was) the best,
is that the PS4? does it really have a trackball?

oh that's where this autist thing comes from,
this could literally perfect to be played with a controller mate

how new are you?

not new enough to know about these retarded games it seems

Those 180° turns? No, you console pleb. Controllers can only move at a rough speed so you can only have low percise turning or high unpercise turning because the input is indirect whereas mouse is direct. If you need to turn 40 times you can just move your mouse over the whole desk and if you need to turn 10° you can just do it. Controllers are only good for racing and even then there are racing wheels and pedals to compete with.
see

But OLD STURDY Contollers with cross and buttons only may serve their purpose in 2D jump'n'run games.

you mean new enough to not know about fucking surfing in counter strike of all games

too thin
fuck the switch controllers tbh. gotta have this thing to make it feel normal

Use what is intended by the developers for the fucking game. It is not rocket science anons.

It depends on the game and the quality of the controller. I'll take KB+M over an Xbox controller for any 2D platformer, but a controller with a good dpad is the default for me. 3D beat-em-ups like DMC or Bayo are specifically designed with the button layout of a contemporary controller (360, Dualshock, etc) in mind, so the combos are a lot more difficult to pull off with KB+M. Funnily enough, despite the godawful port of Dark Souls 1 the sequels actually have excellent controls in their PC ports. And of course, any PC exclusive is borderline unplayable without a KB+M.

ur like a baby
watch this

Manlet detected. Those things are smaller and more obviously designed for a child's hands than even the xbone controller.
The only way to play with two joycons is with them separated from the console, and without the shoulder adapter/spacer things on. Playing with your hands asymmetrically folded over your stomach under a blanket in bed is the most comfy controller ever - no other controller has addressed the intrinsically uncomfortable and un-ergonomic situation of having your elbows, wrists, and hands actively tensed in an unnatural position for an extended period of time.

That said, I still most reguarly use the pro controller, but the detached joycons is truly a step in the right direction for traditional controllers. The wagglan bullshit they're trying with Odyssey does work much better with them detached, and it's conceivable that other games would find uses for trivial convenience features or button reassignment/duplication to the gyros if one was in each hand. I haven't played ARMS which was supposed to capitalize on that.

Hollow Knight has an unskippable intro panel where it tells you to use a gamepad, and that's the #1 kind of game where I think keyboard is better than a gamepad.

You're right, a controller would be pretty piss-poor at playing a modded FPS game.

user be honest, you know that none of these are actual from the generation when the original CS came out…. I'll admit though, they are a special breed of autists

is that unnatural to you?

Are you fucking retarded?
CS had shit tons of custom maps. Of course your console baby ass wouldn't even know what custom maps are.

no user… I'm neither of those, fyi I haven't played on consoles since N64
and what I meant is none of these PEOPLE are still playing,
seriously…. if someone is still autisming over nearly 16 years over the same game, they need to be taken into mental hospital care

Keyboard is superior for anything without analog controls. Controllers these days have garbage D-pads if they even have D-pads at all, so if you're not putting the analog stick to use you're better off with the keyboard. That includes fighting games since a keyboard is basically a hitbox anyway.

Mice are a gimmick, nobody's going to bother with graphical UIs once people learn to use the command line.

Yoll negors with mice, keypads and twiddly sticks can get fuckered.

I actually prefer using a keyboard when all the inputs are digital. I only like a controller when I need an analog stick.

Unfortunately, shit-eating indie fuckheads have completely forgotten or never learned (in the case of doujin developers) about the technological progression towards total customizability that happened in the '90s and like to use such horribly awful default mappings with no way to change them that I am often forced to use a gamepad.

Huh, really? I have never played it. What is it? I mean like style of game. What makes using the keyboard better for you in that game?

Good goy
Keep eating up yearly installments with mandatory microtransactions
also stop phoneposting you google goy.

This is a stupid question. Have you ever once sat that way without a controller in your hand? With your hands aligned with each other, fingers almost touching? I'm going to hazard a no.

But, have you ever sat leaning forward with your elbows/forearms on your knees/thighs with your hands dropped down loosely between them? Of course you have. You can play with the detached joycons this way. You would have to unnaturally tense and hold up your wrists to hold a controller in a comparable posture.

The point is, if you're going to be deliberately obtuse, you don't have to admit anything. You can say you always sit in chairs and couches completely straight, always how they were "meant" to be sat in, never putting your feet up, never crossing your arms while on the couch, never lying down on the couch, etc. but for people who aren't idiots afraid to give credit where it's due, in all of these poses, even with arms crossed, you can still play with the detached joycons, and comfortably. Something that is utterly impossible to do with a controller.

Lack of key mapping is one of those things I can never forgive. Those fucking games where you need a mouse, but movement is locked to WASD (not superior ESDF) and yet the key to pull up your map is M. Fucking ridiculous.

Games with repeated button presses like some action platformers and scrolling shooters suck on keyboard, depending on your model. After an hour or two, my fingers can actually get sore. It's also pretty much pointless to use a keyboard and mouse on a game like Dark Souls which has lock on anyway, unless you really care about those sick 360 bow headshots. There's a reason repeated button presses are much more common in games made for console than PC. Your mustard race memes ignore the fact that PC is the spiciest of mustards because it has the ability to use any input device.

This is the peak of pc gaming. Mods, 100% control over hosted servers, pirated copies work just as good as legit copies. Counter Strike (source and gldsource games) and Unreal Tournament (UT didn't support surfing but it had bhop tracks) are in my opinion to this day the peak of pc multiplayer gaming.

You are a drone. CSGO is more autistic than any CS game with its integrated competitive matchmaking for only the most autistic esports blowhards.

How about this?

I grabbed one of those $20 logitech gamepads. It's alright, let's you switch between input APIs and swap right analog with dpad. Unfortunately, there's no rumble. It pretty much feels like a third-party PS2 controller.

Thumbsticks and dpad feel like shit on those particular gamepads. The face buttons also sink into the plastic way too much when you press them. I bought a dualshock 4 for use on PC, works great and feels better than that shit.

yeah that's what i'm talking about, controllers aren't wide enough these days, other than the wii u gamepad but that had shit ergos so it screwed itself anyways

I had one and it worked great, but the plastic was cheap and broke in a year. I think when it comes to d-pads there is a lot of variables since what you "feel" is entirely subjective

wrong thread pal, you re two blocks away

Fuck you

The way I see it, the whole point of a dpad is to allow you to make quick directional inputs, and the dpad should have very good feedback to accommodate this. The dpad on that controller suffers from the same issues the Xbox original and 360 controllers do. They feel mushy, and it can be difficult to tell if you are inputting a cardinal or intermediate (diagonal) direction. Nintendo style cross dpads are alright, but their blocky shape makes it a little less comfortable to use over time. Dualshock dpads are great because it's divided into 4 individual buttons which are NOT connected like a "see-saw" in the way the Xbox dpad is. You are 100% sure every time you enter a diagonal input, the buttons are soft and slightly angled so they feel nice even after extended sessions.

Sorry if I sound like a neofag shill, I just happen to think that the Dualshock is Sony's greatest contribution to gaming. In fact I'm amazed that a dumbass executive didn't totally ruin the Playstation controller design yet.

I have a cheap Logitech F310 and it works for basically anything besides a true flight sim or an FPS. It has the switch analogue/digital mode button under the back button, which is irritating every so often. I can even beat tryhards on fighting games who exclusively use those custom arcade cab controllers hooked up to the USB.

Most games don't need a keyboard really. I don't know if it's because they are becoming more and more casual, but why would you want to play Dark Souls 2 on a keyboard? You'd get raped in arena.

KB+M for shooty rooty FPS, gamepad for almost everything else for me.

That's the Devastator, which is one of those shitty gamer cred keyboards. Mine is this one.

pleb

most flight sims are actually better with kb/m this typically leads to autistic forum dads complaining about the superiority of a non-joystick controller and yelling about how to nerf it.

What I want to know is why is there no such feature that allows computers to track and assign sets of mice and keyboards to allow splitscreen PC gaming

I used to think driving games were much better with a controller, then I noticed that pretty much every driving game I play which allows for both L-Analog and Dpad steering, I tend to default to the Dpad and dither like a motherfucker for precision correction. So if I don't have a good steering wheel, I tend to use a keyboard for drivan.

Still gotta have a good stick for flight sims, though.

You mean dual monitor splitscreen.

Mechwarrior is highly engaging with a joy stick, I recommend it even if the aiming isn't necessarily as good.

That would work as well.

Because Key Ghosting is a very real growing problem with consumer grade keyboards because of retarded technical limitations and it makes it fucking obnoxious to play games with a LOT of input at the same time quickly.
And there's virtually no solution to it outside of dedicated hardware, and before you say it, your gaming keyboard is virtually analogous to a gaming controller, you fucking retard.

For the record, I am mad too, new consumer tier keyboards are fucking awful.

I don't get it, what's wrong with ZXCV+Arrow keys?

Controllers are for childhood console gaming, not serious PC gaming. Leave that infantile shit in the past where it belongs.

no thanks man

i' do my fighting games with Q W D Space as directions + Insert, home, pg up and RCtrL for buttons

Check my post big boi:

Are these baby games too?

cute

I've found myself using both controller & mouse at the same time lately on vidya, especially jrpg's as more finer targeting is just better with the mouse but overall moving around sucks with kb+mouse.
Also some buttons, the back ones in xbox-controllers in particular are just plain trash and break down soon but thankfully what those buttons do are mostly linked to the mouse allready by default.

Why are you lying on the internet?

I've tried this, works surprisingly well for fps games where you don't need a ton of buttons

I'm just wondering. Why haven't consoles supported keyboard plus mouse for gaming yet? Seriously those are the most common input devices yet Blizzard is complaining that the PS4 and Xbox One doesn't support it natively.

jesus christ, there are other PC games you know? most of which aren't fps fabs

multiplayer is the key word in here, and either way, what you're describing is the pinnacle of gaming has way long passed…

simple, people who play with kb+m usually do over a desk with a smaller screen, eg PC gamers, which would be usually a drag to share with a second player (thus why PC evolved into network mp)

which also relates to

yes, if you're resting your back on any kind of seat and not slouching to the sides
but my point is that controllers are more natural posture than using kb+m
have you ever tried slouching and using a mouse? its like insta forearm cramps

Because gaming peripherals sales would drop in favor of DUDE MECHANICAL KEYBOARD AND RAZER NAGA

I was merely pointing out that the most modern iteration of the game enables far more autistic and obnoxious behavior than simply playing a game that is old.

also world of goo
but I think said multiplayer is only available on wii and ganoo

I can't play 2D fighting games like Street Fighter or Blazblue for shit unless it's a keyboard. The only fighting game I know how to play on pad is Tekken and even then I only know how to play Paul.

First person anything will always be better on PC because mouselook, but a controller is better for more traditional platformers, especially in 3D.

(checked)
Foam and foil PS/2 keyboards are as good as it gets.

You can get NKRO PS/2 mechanical keyboards though.

I use a controller for certain PC games. I also use a controller for all emulated games. Keyboard mapped controls never feel quite right in emulation.

The fact that they have buttons and directional inputs reversed. I use my left hand for movement and my right for mashing and I prefer to keep it that way across games.

I ve never seen a top 16 player using a keyboard just saying. Maybe a couple hit boxes on a red moon, but no champions still.

keyboards cant into uhks

I got every ending in Umihara Kawase with a keyboard. SNES games are perfect for keyboard controls.

I can understand the mouse for aiming, but Jesus Christ, I absolutely hate detest a keyboard for movement and all else. It's the absolute opposite of intuitiveness and ergonomics. And there is no analog movement for WASD so often there is a separate button for "sprint" or something. Couple that with how far your hands are from one another; everything feels so detached.

Contrast that with a controller where everything is in one nice, neat place in your hands. After years of controller play, I still cannot get used to M+K and in fact still use a controller when I play things like TF2 and L4D2 on PC. The only time I use M+K is if I'm forced to or it's just about impossible to play without one otherwise (CS:GO).

Is pressing keyboard buttons really that hard for you that you need to cripple yourself with a fucking analog stick for aiming in PC FPSes? You know you can remap keys on PC games right?

can only imagine how awkward the swinging was

Yes. I bind almost everything besides WASD to extra mouse buttons. Keyboard always feels so foreign and detached. Almost as if, say, you were driving a car but you were holding fake hands that were touching the wheel to move. I can't form a proper analogy. It's just fucked for me.

Nigger are you poor?
amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Controller-Windows-Console/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1509641513&sr=1-5&keywords=xbox 360 controller

F310 is shit.

I've played on pc almost all my life and the time that I did play console shit, it was on a famicom. I hate analog controls because they don't feel right on me. You can make magic happen with keyboard.

Because they are console peasants who suck at games.

That's the exact analogy I would use to describe aiming with a joystick. But buttons are buttons, man. Digital input doesn't really change except for the quality of the hardware. Or if you decide your face buttons need two stages like MGS3 with a dualshock.

Mouse+Keyboard:

FPS's
Strategy games
action RPG's (with the style of diablo)

Mixed:
Beat em up
Platformers
2d Shooters

Gamepad:

Hack n Slash (Devil May Cry or Dark Souls for example
Fighting games

Yes.
I'm not not so sure nowadays. Diablo1 on PC and Diablo2 absolutely. Titles after that, there has been some convincing cases for me where ARPGs can work if done well with a controller. Victor Vran handles okay with a controller. I hate Diablo3 in general and on principle but the console version control wise is okay.

Who's down for some Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube?

It works and is the cheapest option I had at the time.

Isn't there like a mod to play Phantasy Star with Dolphin?
And doesn't that controller work with the Gamecube Controller adapter?

No, you are living in the 90s. Back then optical mice were new and lased mice didn't exist yet, so people could be forgiven for calling optical "laser".
You've had ~20 years to learn the difference, asshole

I used trackballs until 2003

I wonder why more games don't support this setup?

its neither fish nor meat my friend
having a mouse makes aiming more precise because you engage a gorillion more muscles than when you use a thumbstick
then again movement becomes less precise because instead of having a finger per cardinal direction you only have your thumb
while its still better than just a controller its still worse than m/kb

Seems like your thumb movement wouldn't be as controlled as a normal gamepad because it's not being supported by your other hand. I think I'd rather use some sort of game board type thing instead

On the one hand, Controllers tend to be more intuitive, less intimidating, and don't require the same space to use effectively. On the other hand, Keyboards will always beat out controllers when it comes to performance. I've heard people make the "muh analogue" argument as being some sort of great boon, but I've yet to see it be seriously advantageous in a single competitive context and it's usually too poorly implemented by developers to ever make a huge difference anyway.

Most top players use arcade sticks. The ones that use game pads usually use the d pad rather than the analogue stick. It's all just simple Boolean inputs, which means that there isn't anything theoretically stopping someone from using a keyboard in the way that a mouse's ability to receive rapid, exact movement data vs controllers being limited to accelerated directional data over time physically prevents the possibility of anyone ever making it to top level cs or quake with a controller. The real reason you'll never see a keyboard being used at a top level is because they're not tournament legal unless you essentially turn them into a hitbox.

I wanted to use something like this for playing top-down shooters and ARPGs, but fucking everything is exclusively MKB or controller, nothing allows both to be used at once.

I did notice mechanical keyboards getting better. They even have doubleshot keycaps available again! Still love my Behavior Tech foam and foil the most.

I also have a Nostromo. The thing is a god damn abomination. All it does is get me killed over and over.

I use a ds4 on my pc for all gaming including fps. Its more comfortable.

What is the best xinput mapper for a Dualshock 4 controller? There are way too many out there and the most reliable one I can see is Inputmapper: inputmapper.com/downloads . Help is appreciated.

Theoretically, sure, but they're just not there. What's even the point of saying this unless you're upt to nut up or shut up etc.

ds4windows

I think not.

Fags get on my level .

Having thought about this
>nothing better for JRPGs than a d-pad
I wish I had three hands.

Watch more then SF4 and you'll find hitboxes my dude.

Sup, Trackball guy here, I also recommend the $25 RockCandy wired 360 controllers.

The Dpad sucks ass and it has a life expectancy of 1 year, but everything else about it is perfectly fine and doesnt feel cheap and plasticky like Logitech controllers.

no, that was an edit I made.

this us intriguing but I doubt the left handle would be comfortable, weight balance wise.

I fucking love this controller.

Yall are fricken casuals if you spent 50 hours using a steam controller you would realize how godly it is PLENS

Controllers are good for fixed camera games.

Keyboard and mouse are better for literally everything else.

third person camera games disprove your argument right off the bat, homie. Only autists play shit like GTA with a mouse

Inputmapper is the best
DS4windows is deprecated and sometimes refuses to work.

Whoa, cool it with the console wars

Thank you!

Japanese games are designed with gamepad in mind.

Hmmmm….

we've had these threads before and they usually go the same way.

CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKER

can play nier with an Xbox 360 controller or do I need more buttons?

Because PC is full of fucking console ports that are made for controllers. Because RTS is dead and FPS has always been a shitty genre for children.

Depends if the game benefits more from the smooth movement of a analogue stick, or the smooth curser control of a mouse. There shouldn't be a debate here. It's clear to anyone who isn't an obtuse purist which games work better with which control schemes.

no wonder this place is full of casual garbage. If you can't be ambidextrous when it comes to vidya then perhaps this hobby isn't for you.

Trackballsmuch like the trackpads on the steam controller have an insane learning curve

fify

fucking casuals

The future wageslave is trained since childhood to love his habitat: the cubicle.

You goons have to be masochist

I wish more TPS with driving had seemless switching between M+K and controller.

With a gamepad you move like a rabbit but turn like a tank. With a keyboard you move like a shitty rc controller, but can turn on a dime. By abusing the dime turning potential of the mouse, you don't need to fight the 4 directional movement, and can move in the direction you need to faster than the gamepad can. That's why those guys in surfing/bunny hopping videos move their camera so much.

I only play using a steering wheel, I still am pretty good though

I'll check these since no one else did.

And here I thought keyboard would be better for fightan because it's basically a hitbox, and DPs are faster to input than doing them with a joystick.

I remember seeing an ad for something like this for playing educational games. One of the features allowing the parent to control a different cursor using a different mouse.

I took the thumbsticks from my ps2 controller and put them on my logitech, which fits perfectly.
The d-pad takes some breaking in, but it’s fine once the spring loosens up. Same with the triggers.
It turns out there are ports that will hold rumble motors inside the controller, and even contacts to solder them into. But I couldn’t find any the right size and couldn’t get them to rumble. Still, I’m sure it’s totally possible.

The same way faggots who can't use a gamepad complain when a game is made for a gamepad in mind.
They don't see the utility of multiple setups for controls so they revert to what's comfortable.

If the game in question doesn't require the utility it's not a problem then is it?
Comfort plays a big part in making a hobby enjoyable yknow.

Thanks for reminding me that deathmatch surf is completely fucking dead and this not fun garbage what's being touted as surf.

no it's not a problem
but if the controls objectively more comfortable on controller and you're using a keyboard, thus making yourself more uncomfortable because you're familiar with it is retarded.