Metro Series

Which ones are worth getting, if any?

The 2033 book is better than the games. The first is more memorable than the sequel, but both games are worth playing.
2033- 8.6/10
Last Light- 8.1/10

Last Light generally seems to have been received less positively, but I don't think it's terrible.

You can no longer get the original version of 2033, the "redux" version made some questionable changes. Last Light Redux changes were minimal but still unnecessary.

What about DLCs? Are there any?

What sort of changes?

They're both decent games, don't expect Stalker
redux versions are worse than the base versions

Just get both

I played one DLC for last light and I think it involved playing as the commie fuck and trying to get out of getting dead
it was aight

LL has tits though I guess

Both have some odd things to them e.g: the inclusion of boss battles in LL that fuck over stealth players on higher difficulties but I would still recommend both for being SP games you can without any regret sink a fair amount of time into with a well done post apocalyptic setting.

I really hope they don't fuck up the next one

Vanilla 2033 and LL Redux
2033 Redux is gimped in every way but performance, they "fixed" the stealth by cutting the stealth areas in subsection or giving oyu ultra easymode routes
LL is just LL Redux but slower and more bugs.

How does it fuck you over exactly?
Even with a complete arsenal of stealth tool you still have more than enough firepower to fuck shit up, and if you really decide to go all the way in firepower (mostly meaning you either don't silence your 5.45 or don't take one at all) you really never need more than knifes and the melee takedown for stealth.

yeah, if you like to suffer the whole time you are reading it.

2033's a really interesting game that's one of my favorites. Last Light is a sequel made to attract a wider audience. They've since made a "redux" version of the original that serves to downgrade the graphics and introduce some of the casualised gameplay elements from Last Light into the original, and you're not allowed to buy the original version anymore, so just pirate it.

(checked)
What?

2033 was pretty good, never played LL

Original 2033. Nothing else.

Both base games are enjoyable, but will receive little in the way of praise

I have a copy of this game but the last time I tried to run it, it CTD.
At least that's the one I have off of Steam, I don't have the Redux version.

It's very picky with physx versions, install the one that's linked from the forums then launch the game, then reinstall whichever you want.

Play the first one. Last Light is optional. It's a perfectly fine sequel, but it was also unnecessary, and doesn't really add anything.

This. LL is a pile of steaming hollywood-wannabe shit.

Thank you. First time I've seen someone else say so.

The book is not for the faint of heart user.

I AM ANGRY
ANGRY ABOUT LAST LIGHT

Last light is one of the worst games I have ever played. The hours of my NEET existence are worth absolutely nothing to anyone and I paid nothing for the game and I still felt like the game had robbed me and killed my dog for good measure at the end of it. It's a blatantly shekel-grubbing mashup of horrible writing, bad acting, some of the most boring shooter gameplay I've ever encountered, remarkably uninspired design and graphics that somehow manage to be excellent and awful at the same time - and as the worst offense, virtually the entire game is a "cinematic experience" on rails from beginning to end and is packed with dozens of lengthy "woah, so immersive!" in-engine, first-person walking simulator cutscenes a la Battlefield or CoD (all the cool kids are doing it!) or whatever other AAA boilerplate you want to compare it to. You have zero agency throughout the entire goddamn game beyond an incredibly obtuse "morality" mechanic that literally revolves around shit like smoking and eavesdropping and there are also the segments where you decide if you care enough to complete a Designated Sneaking Mission™ or just open up with your Terminator-tier arsenal and save yourself ten minutes of self-inflicted boredom.

Worse than Bioshock Infinite.

I understand the positives to 2033 as it's more difficult than redux and aesthetically is better than the other games but I dont see why people dismiss redux. Stealth is much easier, but your either taking your pick between easy stealth or near broken stealth. Granted it has been a while since I did a ranger hardcore run of 2033, maybe I just remember it being more gruelling than it was.

last light is garbage. 2033 is ok. The last level was incredibly disappointing though. Really fell apart during the end.

I enjoyed them. Worth 20 bucks.

Stealth in 2033 feels real, in the sense that's it's near impossible to do right. You feel like some guy stumbling around in the dark, desperately trying not to be seen, usually getting seen. Stealth in Last Light feels like a video game. Suddenly you're a ninja and not just some dumb kid out of his element, trying to survive, which I think is what people liked so much about 2033.

consolization

All I remember about 2033 was that I found some kind of railgun or something in like the second level, and it made the rest of the game pathetically easy since it kills in one headshot and ammo for it was dirt cheap.

Also the requirements to get the alternate ending are complete bullshit.

That was either DLC or preorder bonus originally I'm pretty sure

Yeah, that wasn't in the base game.

No shit.

Last Light is "westernized" POS.
People say it's "it's a good sequel" but it's not it's the typical sequel with enough stuff from the first one to still be nice but where so much cracks have appeared there is no doubt the third is gonna be shit.

Literally written by the guy who wrote the books, who then turned the script for Last Light into another book in the Metro series.

You're speaking for yourself only there, user. It's being made by both the Metro devs and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs and I've liked what both have always put out so far.

Metro is shit. Fuck this game and fuck OP

Show us where on the nosalis that Metro touched you.

The thing I liked the most in 2033 is that the immersion works well if you take time to observe everything. You can even play in russian with english subtitles if you want to.

My only complain about LL is that the scenario don't go in the way you expect it to after 2033, it's just bland and unsatisfying all the way through. Gameplay wise it's the exact same thing If I recall correctly.

The horror would be much greater if nosalis's were rape hordes with huge floppy genitalia. Someone get modding.

2033 + LL and play them on Ranger difficulty, don't get the Redux versions.

Best DLC mission is the one where you kill commies for the glory of the Reich.
Video related

get both metros
they are equally good

Yeah because no author has ever changed things to make more shekels?

I read both 2033 and 2034 that came out way before Last Light and it's fucking obvious Last Light is a cope out made for western audience filled with hope and feel good thingy (and a major retcon) because somebody told him the first one was too bleak (canon ending being the same as the book, Artyom fucks up and kill the niggers, while all the niggers were doing is trying to communicate and are a viable solution to unfuncking the outside by cooperation with humanity).
And 2034 is worse…

Its just Slavic call of duty complete with hardcoded scripted set pieces and gimmick difficulties.
I liked 2033 but I wouldn't replay it. The original doesn't have a level select so I guess the redux might have that going for it.

Before doing this actually look up what the difficulty does instead of falling for the meme.
It pretty much makes certain weapons useless and forces you on the path of getting the good ending because ammo is so scarce that you'll end up losing it if you take more than 3 shots to kill anything.

I remember reading it but i don't remember it being 2spooky at all

Read the books or if you cant read silly dumb Russian names listen to the audio books

2035 sucks fucking ass and taked all forms of misery and fantasy out of metro and makes you fucking despise every character even more than you did in. Previous books

I wouldn't say spooky but they are very heavy reading
like not something to read half asleep before bed
I dont wanna say its hard to read but demands a lot more focus while doing so

In particular the catacombs come to mind where you first have to wait for a fucking elevator and a couple minutes after that you have a two staged bossfight.
Granted you can damage the boss with the scenery but not the minions which are more than enough on ranger hardcore.
Don't get me wrong you can beat them all and I did but after the sixth attempt at throwing everything not bolted down at the boss and then jump around the boss trying to knife it to death it kinda gets old.

More of it's very fucking bleak and one of the rare books this century that requires you to invest time into it.

Mongolian cavepainting do not count as books you know.

What the fuck are you even talking about
metro is an actual book with no pictures

The book sucks.
The writing in 2033 was good because of dev changes.

This.

But I will elaborate, I'm a fan of 2033 and despised LL despite preordering it because I loved 2033.
Now here is why LL is shit from what I remember
That's all I remember but this was all from years ago when the game released.
I remember gun play feeling off, but can't remember how. Oh and I do remember this
Nuclear winter > nuclear Spring

You should think real hard about that sentence.

Even then that's meaningless.
House of leaves requires investment.
Because its postmodern, pretentious shit that has no meaning, but hipsters want to pretend it does to seem smart.

No books in current century fiction have meaning.

Probably had something to do with that bolt action rifle releasing a shell casing when you fire AND when you work the bolt.

I m just turning pages and life has no meaning.

Are any of the books past the first one worth reading? When 2034 came out I heard people says that one sucks ass as well.

Life has the meaning you give it.

Sage because this really didn't need it's own thread.

the Metro series is still a gem compared to thr pozzed shit out there in the market, today.

Oosh. I'll stick with the first Metro and pretend LL never habbened.

We're having a nice discussion about the series. What do you care? Did it push some shit thread you made out of the catalogue?

Mind blown.

Who says I have to care so much, I just made a quick offhand comment. It's not like I've spent an hour and (100) posts in the thread shitting on it. Am I not allowed to make a comment without it deeply offending you? This sort of thing doesn't need it's own thread, this is the sort of question meant for a QTDDTOT thread. I mean we're 64 posts in and the thread has already lost steam, now if this thread blows up today or something I'll put my foot in my mouth but this "series" has very little to talk about and has already been discussed to death.

By the way, just to clarify: I actually like Metro, the first game anyway (haven't played the second but it's in my backlog).

Its technically a series dude
Also a franchise

They are if you like the setting
2034 focuses on a old man a young jew and a whore
Its got a fair bit of nazi vs commie shit and metro lore

Last light came out before 2034 was finished so unlike 2033 its just fanfiction based on nothing
The new one coming out whenever is focused on 2035 so it will be less fanfiction and probably ignore most of LL

Don't much matter, killed them both in an afternoon. Unless you want to fart about in a few areas.

it makes you feel despair for all the poor slavs that are trying to survive in the metro
>green slim minds rape you and forces you to jump at it to be dissolved RIP in peace son
and the list goes on and on, if the game followed the book from the start to finish, more people would be talking about the story than anything else

You came here to sperg out over nothing, and try to impose your imaginary rules on the rest of the board. Now you're trying to save face, despite being anonymous, and having no reputation to uphold.

Holy shit, grow another pussy while you're at it.

wanna ride both, user-kun?

Calm down friend

One is enough for me to take care of.

You can simplify anything like that, though.

or

Fuck off Sam

So what you're saying is I can look after endless pussies or zero pussies.

I don't think that's going to change how I breezed through the Metro games.

Are Metro games appropriate for children?

First 1

dlc is included in the "redux" version of the game for LL, dont know if 2033 has any dlc, and the redux versions are the only ones you can buy on steam now

yes

Metro is awesome, get the redux version because

both are pretty good, the best aspect of it are the setting, stories, narrative and adventure
the first one literally went by on a binge because it got me hooked, the second one is nearly as good but suffered from consoley bosses

He also wrote the script for 2033's game.

Maybe get over yourself?

none

Yeah, and 2033 isn't Last Light you fucking retard

I never said it was, but if he was going to westernize the game to make it more sellable then he'd have done it then.

That's why you're wrong.

Kill yourself.

You are delusional

I can prove I'm not. Watch me accurately place your sexuality: FAGGOT

Lol. You mad.

and LL, maybe he wanted a happier story?

Fuck you. Fuck everything about you.

Pirate them all

Thoughts on 2035?

I can't even describe why but the original looks so much better. The lighting perhaps?
Anyway Russian or English? How are you supposed to play the games? I remember trying the first one out and immediately getting heatinings because it places you in a semi openish area and the dude tells you to follow him.

does anybody remember that one part in 2033 where near the end of the game the ai in the trainyard start commenting on your exploits and they think you're a vengeful ghost?

Voices in russian, english subs, exactly as if you were playing STALKER.

Russian dub's is good for a true cheeki (IE: authentic) experience but it's worth listening to in English since the VA work is absolutely tolerable though not perfect by any measure. The subs for the game aren't much better than the dub if you ask me. But I prefer things to be nearly one to one when it comes to translations so take my opinion with a grain of salt. "Basically" if you're a purist for things, then go Subbed. If not and you just want to play a fun game go dubbed. It's not entirely like Anime where there's a small handful of worth while dubs and you can just tolerate the inaccuracies with subs. There's a level of immersion from subbed work. Mainly because you would likely be the kind of person who wants people who are in a certain country to speak the language of said country. It's preferential really.

Also to answer you're question, (graphically) it looks better on much more basic levels really that surpass aesthetics and go more into realization of the universe. Imagine the stuff you read in a book and visualize in your head. That's basically what makes the original better graphically. Graphical quality might be better in redux in many segments, but artistic style and background is much higher in the original. As an example, nobody who's been living in a sewer system for a good majority of their life is going to have full medical equipment that actually doesn't serve as medical equipment. What fucking surgeon needs a hard helmet with the red cross on it? You're dealing with people who are wounded, not avoiding falling debris. Everything else has a similar but much more subtle issue. I could probably describe much of it in detail but for the most part you get my point. I'm not even debating gameplay changed either. Stealth in 2033 was fucking tough. And for good reason. People are innately perceptive. Which translated well into the first game and often lead you into playing the first half of a level undetected and the second half a scramble to take on a majority of the enemies you were fighting. It was fun though because things unraveled naturally like the game intended because of its survival mechanics. To get a near perfect ghost run where it was applicable in the first game was quite the triumph. Especially on certain levels. If you got them you actually felt like a stealth god.

your*
God damn I'm full of typo's today.

nahhh, besides checking these trips I can't confirm it
in nearly all shots contrast looks better on redux, original does look good too, so it falls more on taste in most cases
but regarding the last scene, redux is the one that had detailed overlay mask, where it would break and get foggy over time, so it begs the question the validity of the video

trainyard? I only recall the one after you get back into a station after going out in a storm, where you can overhear them talking about you

The fuck happened to my post?

Better contrast doesn't make a better game. I explained in detail what's wrong with Redux in
No it doesn't.

Maybe it's the fact that everything is fucking shiny for no reason, as if giving everything reflections is somehow better. Original is darker and colors actually work and dont seem out of place.

Another example of this bullshittery would be Left 4 Dead, although arguably you don't need muh immersions for a game like that, the first game was a lot more atmospheric because gutted zombies don't look like their insides are made of balloon animals, blood looks like blood and not glossy red paint, and they don't have magic glowdust in their eyes.

Additionally, you could argue that the 2-gun limit introduction to 2033 Redux is okay, and I'd agree lugging around a full set might be over the top for a game like this, but forcing you to choose between 2 primaries and a primary and a pistol is straight up stupid, especially in a game like LL where you can progress through half the fucking game before finally obtaining that one common weapon you passed up at first because "it will probably appear a lot and I have a lot of x ammo i'd like to spend first"
Put in a sidearm slot or make a weight system instead of making handguns practically useless, this would help with the QTEs when something jumps on you as well, being able to pull out a gun and have you actually adjust the barrel to its head and click to fire would be a LOT more satisfying than mashing a button and receiving free knife kills.

The Last Light engine is crap, you can stand perpendicular to an enemies vision and they won't see you in lighted areas. Grab 2033 in the non-redux version (redux uses the LL engine), it's the
closest thing I've found in "feel" to System Shock 2. Also, don't use the harpoon gun on the final mission it's bugged.

For balance reasons 2 guns is perfectly good, when you can play the game with knife & throwing knife anything above 2 guns is total overkill.
That said I still think they should've tied it to difficulty or something since even I want to goof around after beating the game through on the hardest, that includes testing out all the guns and stuff I missed on the first playthrough.

Too few games have new game+

Get neither. Video games are shit don't fucking bother

Doesnt the redux version also remove the armors at the commie station?

So how about upcoming Exodus game, how do you think it will fuck up?

Shit game, even shitter port.Too bad 2033 Redux has the same issues too.

Don't know, only know what I've read/youtubed, I don't have redux. Are you saying there's no stealth armor?

The wine version apparently has platinum compatibility.

More pandering to CoD fans.

Yeah I pirated it one time after removing it and then getting an itch again and I got the redux version, I dont recal seeing neither of the armors at the station. Some weapons that appeared later in the games were sold instead I think.

How exactly is adding more player exploration and having medikits pandering to the current CoD audience?

Yeah, I don't see them doing anything that'll really break the linear/cinematic style of the first two games. It'll still be linear as fuck, only differences will be a nice skybox and some vistas. I might be wrong and they actually change something, but I'm skeptic.
Anyway people need to stop associating this generic fps with stalker.

Games: So far all are good, still id recommend getting the original version of 2033 over remastered version, mainly due to some changes they did and some broken parts.
Still they also added some nice stuff in the remaster, so it's not that horrible.

Books: 2033 is great.
2034 was breddybad imo.
Currently in process ofreading 2035, so far what i have read is that Artyom is still kicking, though he goes up to the surface daily to soakup ungodly amounts of radiation while hoping to hear a signal from somewhere outside Moscow, lugging a radio transmitter on top of a tall building and then crying to the aether asking for if anyones out there.

Tbh the games are very babby tier shit. It doesn't even come close to stalker on novice difficulty for fuck's sake.
also
Wew lad

I recommend you stop. Trust me.

You have read the third book?
How goes it?

There was an user that spoiled how the series ends and the later books in general. It's not worth finishing.

Any links/screencaps? Wikipedia only gives a synopsis.

Probably. Does it matter? Basically the universe has politics pushed into it. The bad kind. And it makes a completely retarded "it was all just a giant conspiracy" thing at the end. I'm sure somebody will correct me and go into detail soon. All I know is that from what I remember, you should never bother reading past the first book.

Metro 2033.
Fuck redux and fuck last lights, they shat on the mechanics and graphics

Well now you're giving me more information without actually divulging all the juicy details, and that just makes me more interested you tart

tl;dr of it is every faction was controlled by the remnants of the russian government and all the wars they fought was just population control.

Yea pretty much that. Imagine getting really invested in a universe only to find it's all been a giant conspiracy. Pretty much deflates everything you were invested in from the start. I also remember there being a lot of communist shit to it as well but I never saved that anons post who went in detail as to what it fucked up more specifically.

If you roll with an AK or shotgun, sure, but don't expect to actually use other fun weapons even if you're rich as shit and could buy several times more than the pocket worth of bullets you're limited to.
What's the point in ending the game with 1000+ mil-grade bullets because you couldn't ever carry enough of the stuff you actually thought was fun using?

i played english first and did the ranger mode in cheeki breeki.

Yes its worth buying, I enjoyed them both.