Old beat-em ups and side scrolling shooters

Never played games like Streets of rage, gunstar heroes or final fight growing up (never got the appeal and preferred "pure" platformers like Mario and Sonic).

Have these games aged well? Which are still worth playing and more importantly what is the best way to obtain them?

Gunstar Heroes has probably aged better than Streets of Rage and Final Fight.

Emulators of course, Streets of Rage 2 is among the best beat em ups of all time. Also almost everything made by Konami, and this quirky personal favorite.

Yeah no.

Thanks for quick replies. I guess I'm using a genesis emulator for the streets of rage trilogy and final fight right? What emulator is best?

SOF2 is a much better game than Gunstar Heroes.

Gunstar not final fight even

KEGA Fusion is what I use.

Kega Fusion, also make sure to play the Japanese of version of SOR3 (Bare Knuckle 3)
Well sure if your plan is to play the Sega CD version. Otherwise, MAME for Final Fight.

The Sega CD version has much better music and sound effects than the arcade one.

The Dungeons & Dragons beat em ups are awesome
X-Men
Turtles in Time was incredible for its time
Contra 3:The Ayy Lmao Wars is a must play. Check out Hard Corps too
Guardian Heroes

Bare Knuckle 3 - genesis
Streets of Rage Remake - PC
Maximum Carnage - SNES
The Shadow - SNES
Captain Commando - Arcade
Golden Axe - Arcade, Genesis
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder - Arcade

Emulate all of them. SoR Remake you'll need to search for, but I'm sure there's a torrent of it. The author's of it got C&Ded by Sega Europe so sadly they can't host it themselves.

True, but it's still slightly censored compared to the arcade version.

play them on original hardware. also play die hard arcade, dynamite cop, and guardian heroes.

Also check out the SNES or Arcade versions of Battletoads (NES is pretty much a different beast)
Kick ass soundtrack too

D&D
My nigger

Nigger what are you doing? Why are you encouraging him to give to scalper kikes? Also, if he's just trying them out there's zero reason to waste money on original hardware.

Also check out the 1994 arcade Battletoads. It's hilariously grittier and the sprite art is gorgeous.

It's been brought up enough times in the thread that I think OP knows to play 2 as well as the uncucked version of 3.

b-but muh accuracy

The original hardware argument is a waste of time and time if OP is just looking to try out some games. If he really enjoys them, then he should get original hardware and flush hundreds of dollars down the drain.

*time and money

Every fucking time.
Emulate Alien Soldier.

With the fan translation patch.

Are golden axe 2 and 3 worth getting too? WHat about shinobi games?

Way ahead of you fam.

A prototype rom was leaked, but the game was actually never released.

where did I say buy copies of these games?

Golden Axe 3 is SHIT

You are shit.

Revenge of Death Adder rapes the Genesis games quality wise. I guess you could play 2 and 3 if you're a completionist.
Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3 are amazing, play them.

Hence why I say emulate. Also, the game was fairly finished, the only problem is flickering with some of the enemy sprites.

It is though, have you played it?

When you implied it here:
You think OP owns all the games being recommended to him, especially Saturn games?

where did I say buy copies of these games you disingenuous faggot?

Several times with different routes.
It's way better than 1 and 2.

disgust

LOL no, 2 is about as forgettable. Revenge of Death Adder is the only truly good Golden Axe.

Is English your first language you stupid nigger?

so I didn't say it, glad we can agree. How's it feel being a dishonest faggot?

So if OP doesn't own them on original hardware, how should he play these games?

burn a copy you idiot

You realize there's more to playing burned Saturn games than burning a CDR and throwing it in the console, right nigger?

Are you retarded?

oh fuck you have to remove 6 philips head screws
oh fuck you have to take the lid off and tape down a metal switch
oh fuck you have to put a real game in for a second
oh fuck you have to remove it and put your burned copy in

god damn how hard, do you know how rare philips head screw drivers are? Fuck they cost like 200 bucks sealed on ebay. who has that money lying around?

So this is the autism…of real hardware fags…wow

Original hardware cucks everyone.

Anyone besides me remember the Night Slashers arcade game?

I know right? screw drivers are just impossible to manage. I'd rather find a working bios file, make sure it's region correct, mount my disc images in a shitty virtual drive software or use the very much beta mednafen.

how do you faggots remember how to breathe

hey the dishonest retard is back, please learn a fucking thing or two about the dozen different ways to play copies on a saturn before talking about them. you also forgot you need a discontinued ========R@R@ L@@K @@@ SEGA SATURN MOD CHIP PLAYS BURNED GAMES!!!=========

oh wait you're a dumb nigger and have done no research into anything ever in your life like the cuckchanner you are

Please go away.

Tower of Doom
Shadows Over Mystara

Pretty much the pinnacle of the genre, arcade only until they had some steam version put out. Haven't played that so won't speak of it, but they're amazing beat-em-ups and work pretty flawlessly with MAME and crap.

Why

Keep going.

Because it's Capcom

emufag safespace, I know

post some more uninformed retardation for me to correct

Post some more redtext fuckups, >>>/cuckchan/

holy shit you're that stupid aren't you

Keep going

get lost on the way from resetera?

I never did that

Elf tiddies

my mistake

>>>/cuckchan/

They're still replayable even today so yes, unless you really don't like the genre then don't bother.
Depends on what you mean by best.
Cheapest way is pic related. If you are an original hardware only fag, then go scour for original hardware and carts.

This is good collection of megadrive/genesis games, also has little neat history bits about the games as well. SOR1 and 2 are also good on the 3ds, the 3d effect is nice.

I've always felt like the gameplay in the pseudo-3D dimetric beat 'em ups was really shallow and crappy. They typically have stiff controls and it's difficult to tell if you're on the proper plane your enemies are on.

Scrolling shooters on the other hand "hold up" real well. Go play Gradius II to experience a real game.

Nah.

Step it up

Sorry, I enjoy technically sound games.

Gradius, huh. I am more of a rtype man myself. So whats your opinion of gradius 4.

the sound in this game is pretty technical though

Sonic Blast Man II
Spider-Man Separation Anxiety
The Fall and Return of Superman
Golden Axe
Revenge of Shinobi
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Motherfucking BATTLETOADS
You already mentioned Streets of Rage
Double Dragon
I'd say so
Emulate. I don't want to hear it; if you like original hardware, then fine, go do that. I can see the value in that, but I can also see the value in emulation. It essentially preserves all of the games of yesteryear for the indefinite future, and you can't hate on that.

Beat em ups i can recommend

Sega genesis

-Streets of rage 2 and 3 (only the japanese one (bare knuckle 3) since the localized version was gang raped by Sega USA

SNES

Final Fight 3 (don't bother with 2, its very boring)

The Rushing Beat Series, in USA Jaleco decided every game should NOT be part of the same series, so all the games have different titles. Don't bother with the first (Rival Turf)

Arcade (MAME, where the gold is)

-Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
-The Punisher
-Battle Circuit
-Alien VS Predator
-Violent storm
-TMNT 4:Turtles in Time
-Captain Commando
-Dungeons and dragons shadow over mystara (it recently had a port to windows trough steam with the name Chronicles of Mystara)
-Night Slashers, a pretty good game with horror elements.

As a bonus If you like Streets of rage , find Streets of rage remake, a big ass tribute to the trilogy that has element, enemies,playable characters, and stages from the 3 games plus some new content.

And if you like the genre and have a PS3, consider Dragon's Crown (or not, i think it's getting a ps4 version)

Battletoads isn't exactly a Beat em up, specially the first game.

Revenge of Shinobi is more a platformer, and since we talk about shinobi, consider shinobi 3 too. for me it aged better too.

In my case i'd prefer Maxium Carnage over separation anxiety because Separation anxiety felt like it lasted forever… also those labirynth stages…

is this suppose to be like one of those
sort of riddles

I've never heard that before. What would you call it, then?

the Dark Souls of racing games

You can also get them on the PSN store.

implying you played platformers but didn't enjoy them
why even live?

Awful game that only improved over Carnage by adding multiplayer. It's an inferior game every other way.

Get some good reflexes, grandpa.

good list but would recommend they play the superior SNES version of Turtles in Time and I would add,
-Sengoku 3
-Bad Dudes
-Gaia Crusaders
-TMNT arcade

The side scrolling shooters have aged better than most of the beatemups. Except Bare Knuckle 3 is still fantastic and basically the pinnacle of the genre.
Sengoku 3 is pretty cool too.

The genesis plus GX core in retroarch. Because it has a hard gpu sync, shaders you can customise to your liking and a built in lowpass audio filter. Kega fusion is great but not quite as good.
Final Fight has aged like milk, if you're going to play it just play it on mame. The MegaCD version has some neat arranged music but overall the arcade version plays and looks the best.

Ye

Wrong aspect ratio.

The Punisher

Play that shit, seriously. Will give you extra hair on your chest just by watching the start screen.

2d sprites beats 3d CG models

Streets of Rage 2 IS THE BEST beat 'em up of all time.
alongside SoRremake

Any of the Capcom beatemups: Captain Commando, both D&D games, The Punisher, Alien vs Predator