First Tournament Coming Up

I'm entering my first Third Strike Tournament this Saturday and I'm going in playing as Ken with Dudley, Alex, and maybe Akuma.

I've only been playing fighting games for two years and my skills are average at best, so does anyone have any advice or a way to prepare that will help me NOT get beaten in the first round?

Don't expect to win. Unless the tournaments filled with noobs, you're probably going to get raped quite a bit by the guys who literally grinds for hours everyday. Just play a ton of friendlies before pools starts and try to learn as much as you can from each match. Also don't be afraid to experiment or even ask the other players for advice.

You already answered that question by admitting
Which translates to: you're going to get your ass handed to you in less than a minute in the first round. Just drop out and keep your dignity. Third Strike is not a game meant for average skilled players.

Its a broken game with a shitty mechanic that people pretend to pass as the pinnacle of gameplay when in reality it just invalidates options and turns the game into a close combat brawler because they didn't account for extreme autism

IRL? Better pray not cali, or else youll get nigged
Youre going up against people who've been playing for 10-20 years. Dont expect anything more than you losing first round.
Show up early and see if they have casuals going on. Play there to warm up against other people. While at home and waiting, practice inputs and combos. Do drills for your BnB's. Treat it like lifting, and show discipline with your practicing.
And most importantly, pick a real character, such as Urien, Yun, or Makoto

As fighting games should be. Fireballs are cancer.

Want to know how I know you are a baddie?

I smell the smell of bad.

It's like you don't try to understand the game and instead say it's bad because you don't know how to actually fight people up close. You're supposed to use fireballs at mid range or to bait a standing parry so you can hit them low. Not stand far away and oppress people like it's SFIV Sagat.

t. Dictator

I 100% agree.

that will largely be luck of the draw, any skilled player will simply know more about the game and body you but you're just as likely to run into someone who isn't very good. don't worry about results as much as getting experience playing in a competitive setting. get as many matches as you can, record them if you are able to do so. just play as fundamentally well as you are able, learn and have fun. 3s is a game that highly rewards experience and the only way to get that is to keep playing and getting better.

good luck user

hope you get matched up with a noob otherwise you are fucking toast
Honestly that's the only words of advice I can give I'm no pro I consider myself average and I don't go often to tournaments but I win some lose some. Unless you have a dedicated training partner(something that is hard to actually accomplish and is integral to getting good at fighting games) and have been training the specific game then you are pretty much fucked bro.

you have no idea how risky it is to throw fireballs like an idiot. If you don't have good timing then you get fucked up fast because you pretty much just leave yourself open to the biggest possible combo your opponent has+meter

pretty much, you get punished badly for a badly time fireball.

everybody at that tournament is gonna hate you for being a bitch, but they're gonna try to keep you around since you'll be filling up the pot

Hope you get paired against someone your skill level.

Do your best, have fun and take your ass beating like a champ. Try to learn something from it. Even if it's just one thing if you learn something you can take joy in that growth.

Go read Daigo's book. It's got everything you need to know philosophically about doing well at things.

Post PDF in English or GTFO

No, you get out you stupid lazy faggot. Get out or ask to be spoonfed like the little bitch you are.

This shit right here is why you don't spoonfeed newfags.

You may as well be if you cant use a search engine to save your life.

I'll fuck you til you love me, faggot.

Is that you, Mike?

Spotted the normalfag. The point of a tournament is to be the best. And you'll never be the best until you've eaten dirt a million times at a tournament.

And you become the best through practice, preferably with someone close to or just above your skill level. Losing in two milliseconds in a tournament for a game known for having prime autistic players for 20 years isn't practice. OP is going to get humiliated for thinking he had any right to enter the competition.
There's a difference between working your way up in a tournament and ultimately losing while getting back up and trying again, and being an inexperienced retarded like OP who thinks he has what it takes to not lose in the first match for a fucking Third Strike tournament.

You should've made this thread a month before the tourney.
You won't be winning with just a month of practice, but at least you could've put in the work to avoid getting stomped.

I'm gonna give you some basic tips, so put them into practice in the future.

-Learn to tech throw.
Throws are very common in 3s. The timing is kinda strict, but you will need to learn it in order to not get thrown to death.
-Learn to down parry.
Kind of a hard concept to learn, but try this.
With Ken, hit standing MK then down parry after.
Most newbs will attack low, thinking they can punish you.
Don't try that particular trick all the time, just do it to get an idea of how to use a down parry.
-Learn your anti-airs.
Unfortunately, 3s has counters to anti-airs, but it's still important to learn.
Otherwise low-tier characters like Alex will bully you with jump ins.
Also, if your character has a fast enough dash, learn to dash under them.
Used properly, you can turn your opponent's jump in against themselves.

One last thing, try to record your matches.
Review them, then try to spot what hit you the most.
That's all I got for now.
Probably gonna get raged on for helping a newb, but we all gotta start somewhere.

Confirmed for being a faggot who thinks playing against someone better than you is pointless. It doesn't matter how shit you are, going to a tournament is always going to make you better really fast. Aside from the tournament it self, there's going to be a million dudes playing friendlies, and playing against that many different people who are better than you is a fucking invaluable experiences when it comes to fighting games.

You're one illiterate nigger.
He needs to practice way more with better players before actually competing against them.
Yeah, if you're prepared. OP isn't, and he's just going to lose really fast.
OP needs to do that instead of competing against pros who will beat him in less than 10 seconds.

And how the fuck is he supposed to figure out how much he needs to practice?

When he knows enough to say "I'm good enough to actually compete in a tournament" , not "my skills are average at best". When you have "average skills", all you're doing by entering a tournament is showing that you want to make an ass of yourself.

Nice advice but…
Trial by FIRE

Good luck, OP. Haha

Why are her boobs wet before the water hit her, does the figurine designer seriously expect me to hotglue a thing with such a tremendous oversight? In that case she can be cummed on without my cum hitting her, fucking whore.

I would only feel like an ass if I went in the tournament feeling like I was better then I was and not because I was a mediocre player going against above avaerage to amazing players.

I believe in the ideas of the user you were speaking to said too since practice DOES help when it comes to fighting games, but you won't grow as a player unless you take on people who are better then me, tournament, online matches, or otherwise.

Besides, whether I win or lose, It is always a pleasure to play Third Strike with a real life person.