Trees and Foliage in vidya

I was wondering if there has ever been a game designed around accurately simulating plantlife, in particular how it grows and changes the environment? I know some games sort of take it into account, like Far Cry 2 had tree regeneration. Any examples of games that uses this for gameplay?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44762/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maybe some autistic mmo like wurm.
What's the point tho?

I like the idea of a game that has a constantly shifting natural environment that if you cut down would return

and everything is right in the world

Grass respawn in Hob.
Actually grass respawn in most games where you can cut it down.

sorta related, are there any good games with thick dense pine forests?

I want a game where the seasons change as time goes on. Like FNV or Oblivion but when it's winter it actually turns to winter.

Black De
Oh. Well.

Stardew Valley, but it's a feminists' game. Still had plenty of threads there.

I am actually curious how hard that would be with "Modern Technology"

ASHERONS CALL DID THIS IN 1999

Animal Crossing, sort of. Also Minecraft.

I remember seeing the beta videos for Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the forests for that seemed really nice.

Gore thread?

Yeah but that's a farming simulator. I want an adventure game where you could be travelling the same roads through the province or region and see the changes from the seasons. They could even open optional areas by freezing over a lake which opens certain caves or something.

Probably too difficult for the hacks they're churning out of game dev schools. I'd sooner trust the user devs from /adgd/ for complex things.

user, no.

A man of taste.

Old habits die hard eh?

I don't think there is such game.
You can barely scrap games that have at least two different statues for the same area, like day/knight circle, that affect anything other than visuals.
Xenoblade X has weather that actively affects combat stats, but it's again like 2-3 weathers per region, and those are mundane things like rain or fog.
But 4 statuses that are also visually change entire map? Good fucking luck.

Fuck you Al, I was looking forward to it.

Yeah it's called go outside

You crazy, mate? With all those cars and normalfags and shit? Do you want people to get hurt or something?

Far Cry 2 had tree regeneration? I thought it just forgets you did shit with the tree and just respawn it.

It's called lore.

My dream game now would be a game where you climb up a tree to go up a cliff then climb a mountain with teeny toes so you can challenge the rock.

Dwarf Fortress

You mean Speedtree?

You can plant trees in Fable :^)

yeah this, there's cots solutions to foliage for developers. i cant think of any arborist or botanist games out there but if you want to make a game getting realistic foliage is trivial if you dont mind spending some coin

Hello me from my adolescence.

Boy, the things we dreamed could happen in games not too far from the future. Boy, how none of it came true (except maybe through emulation where you can fastforward through loading times and shit).

UnReal World has rivers freeze in the winter but all it means is that you don't have to raft, swim, or ford. Plus it's a randomly generated survival sim so it's not like it opens up a new dungeon or anything.

this tec is not new but most games that let you destroy trees usually just have them re spawn rather than generating them procedurally. not that the latter is all that costly just takes a little bit of fucking effort upon the programmers.

if you do not recall that stronghold had regrowing trees in it. basically just a random tick check for appropriate tiles surrounding trees checking if the tree could grow their (some only growing in oasis tiles, never water/rocky…., and never in a building, and i thinking maintaining a tree density by demanding x amount of space around the tree with no trees in it) if the tick triggered and the tile was appropriate a sapling would spawn and grow into a tree over the next few in game months. this mostly underappreciated by players that just chop down every tree available to maximize economy as part of the meta play. personally going thew the campaign in much longer (in game time) matches would both find it necessary to protect sections of forests for future cutting/ regenerating trees. and late game clear cutting to expand the mega-base. as the smallest patch of trees left to itself would expand exponentially if left alone by the player/npc opponents. but most matches would result in every tree being cut and the loss of that resource to the map.

I wish games would let you plant a garden properly and watch all the wildlife prosper and grow.

You can play as a tree in Morrowind with this mod.
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44762/?

Glorious

I know Fifa has it, where you play a season and during winter it's a bigger chance of it being a snowy-field which affects the ball and players. But they have had that for well over a decade so there isn't really an excuse other games shouldn't be able to have that.

anyone has what's beyond the waterfall thread?

It require actual intelligence, knowledge and creativity to design something that resembles the processes of nature. I'm sorry to say that no one invested their points into that tech tree (((ke ke ke)))