Inb4 "check the catalog"
Fuck proprietary software.

So what is the reason for this? Why are people willing to spend weeks of their time making free content so a company can steal their ideas or use it to prop up sales? Why won't they take the GNU pill?

How is this Triple A game like? Looks like EUII but set in WWII.

Feel free to get some taste anytime OP

4X faggots are usually cucked desperate autists.
They are too meek to have principles and Paradox knows this.

We know
Rather than coming off like a smug autist, post some legit, fully-developed alternatives
The problem with GNU games is they're mostly abandonware or incomplete with progress that makes tectonic plates seem like they move lightspeed

How does it feel to be an entitled nerd? Just pay for your entertainment like everyone else, oh wait mommy and daddy won't give you their credit card numbers so you're stuck on V complaining that you're poor. LOL!

Feel free to post a better alternative any time. Paradox has practically a monopoly on the Grand Strategy genre.

illwinter games

How do shitty eurotrash developers like Paradox even manage to stay afloat?

Dominions is more in the vein of Total War than a GSG and it's not set in a historical setting, so it doesn't really qualify. Half the fun in a GSG is history LARP.

Brainlet detected. Besides, this is about proprietary games in general. Even if you don't like (G)SG, it still holds for shooters, RPGs, etc.

Really? The projects I posted in OP are all active. And they would be even more so if cuckolds didn't sacrifice all their work. What kind of artist reads the Paradox EULA and thinks "This is fine"?

It's not just about money, it's about freedom to modify.
There are so many problems with Paradox (and other) games that's cant be fixed because companies like PI deliberately want to milk their franchises.
There's a reason for example why the scripting language in most Paradox games isn't turing-complete except with great effort and tedious performance-hogging workarounds. Because doing so would allow people to create actual new features.

Nobody develops games for it

and they look fucking terrible. Just look at the number of provinces in pic 3, is that a fucking joke? Not to mention the map is inaccurate both historically and geographically

Because they are shit.

Pick one.

Them make a better map. Or suggest one.

how about this one

Interestingly, what people aren't complaining about is how these fucking scumbags sold out to DRM a long time ago.

Because Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings players are dumb faggots more interested in historical references than gameplay itself.
It's not so much about the game but rather the names of characters and regions you play in that matters to them, to a point where an History Channel documentary is more appealing as a game than any 4X for them.

This isn't necessarily a problem because of their crippling autism preventing them from trying many other better games like Age of Wonders, Endless Legend and Endless Space just because there's fantasy mixed there.
Rather it's a problem because it's a niche within a niche. There aren't that many players that like GSG and historical accuracy to warrant someone investing in a new IP, especially since they are likely to pirate it anyway.

So in the end, you either buy from Paradox or you buy it from no one else. You could pirate it, but then you'd be killing the only company making the games you like.
The comparison with an heroin addicted coke fiend is quite apt.

If anyone wishes to disagree, you're free to start your own project in open source and either spent huge amounts of hours into it for no profit or be disapointed when people complain about you asking for money for an alternative to Paradox and saying you're just as bad.

You get the industry you support, not the one you want.

Played all of them, only really liked Age of Wonders.

Parashit deserves to be driven out of bussiness. Every game they make is a downgrade upon its previous installment. EU4 is unplayable without mods, HoI4 is unsalvageable mess, with or without mods. With them dead, maybe someone better will decide to fill the niche.

Really? I'd consider that to be the worst of all 3. The magic is fun and all but the mechanics and management of EL or ES make it more of a 4X than the pseudo RPG AoW goes for.

But you don't know that. You wish it to be true but so far nothing has given you any reason to believe this is likely to happen or even possible at all.
Nobody likes Paradox but not supporting them means the death of the only company making the kind of games you like. And sure, they are always a disapointment compared to past iteractions, but hey! Shit is better than nothing, amirite?
Pay up for your cocaine, nigger! You may hate the pimp, but you love the smack.

Make your own grand strategy game?

You gotta understand that 4X and GSG are different genres and that many GSG players actually dislike 4X.

Not really, no. Modders waste time with a crock of shit like HoI4 instead of focusing on DH or HoI3

TripleA isn't really the same genre, rather it's an implementation of an old board game called Axis and Allies. It's like if Risk had actual depth and varied units, grab it and then pick up custom maps.

Also quite frankly you'd be better to advise fags to just play older Paradox games. EU:III and Darkest Hour are fucking fine. Picrelated is pretty good too.

Why? Setting aside the issue of jewing you heavily for DLC (and remember they jew you even more for cosmetic features they rip out of actual gameplay epxansions) they've been dumbing down their games for years now. I'd happily pay a fair price for modern Paradox games if they were improved version of their old games but they've casualised them for mass appeal so fuck them, they deserve to go bust for selling out. Hell I paid full price for Rule the Waves because I'd rather support a company that won't sacrifice depth for greater sales.

Too much work for a single individual. Almost every big mod is made by a team.

lol
If Paradox dies that'd be a good thing. HoI4 and Stellaris are unplayable trash, and whatever comes next will be worst.

Ahoy matey, have you taken the brown pill yet?

ITT: faggots who don't know the difference between gsg and 4x

I'm not saying you should support them, I'm saying not supporting them ensures a hasty death as they make no profit out of GSG.
And that would be a good thing if some other company was ready or trying to take this niche and fill it with something else, but if there was such a company it would have been flocked by Paradox "refugees" a long time ago.

The idea that you can actually opt for something other than Paradox is a fantasy, wishfull thinking. There is no "it's either Paradox or this other company", there's just "it's either Paradox or nothing" and so far a lot of people still like Paradox over nothing, otherwise they wouldn't keep making games.

Come now, GSG is just 4X but you start with your empire half done, you're only allowed to use real empires\countries\nations, realistic concepts and technologies and the game is more centered around roleplaying your leader than actually ruling your nation.

You could easily make a scenario for any Civ game where the world is fixed, everyone starts with a civilization that owns several cities already in a geographically correct position, starting and being restricted to 1600-1800 or 1800-2000 depending on what era you want and go from there.

The real difference between GSG and 4X is that both require huge amounts of abstraction to represent many different sides of ruling a nation. But abstraction in GSG fuses things together into the same mechanic, simplifying the whole process (technology in EU) while in 4X said abstration allows for new gameplay mechanics that work in different ways from everything else and expand on the game (Influence in any Endless game)

You are playing a niche of a niche of genre, not a whole different genre altogether, all because you're more concerned about roleplaying the Ottoman Empire or the Nazi Germany than actually playing a game.

And that makes it okay? It's not because it is not profitable, but because the current industry is so completely shit that no one wants to bother. Why isn't anyone challenging Bethesda and their shitty games? The genre has more mass appeal and it would be a joke to make a better written game that plays and looks better. A bunch of modders have already done it with Skyrim, so why isn't anyone trying to push into that market? Why isn't anyone trying the same with Total War? You can't sit there and tell me that it's cheaper and easier to make a Call of Duty or Overwatch clone because we both know it's bullshit and you'll have an even harder time trying to break into such an oversaturated market than you'd have by offering a better alternative to a dedicated niche audience.

No, the issue is that the industry is completely incapable of producing anything that isn't some form of multiplayer shooter with lootboxes and microtransactions. That's all they are geared to make.

In sweden it would geovernment bucks. Not unlike canada.

Daily reminder that the path-finding in TA:Spring is still shit.

Wow. I love $60+ reskins now and companies that consider my mods their IP, so they can resell it for $40!
Yeah. It's got some pathfinding issues. But not much worse than any modern titles.
The absolutely worst I've seen includes: A commander that once got stuck in a wall after a unit tried to pull it over - Bad, but not something I couldn't have gotten myself out of with better reaction time. One case where newly build units took a detour traveling towards a rally point - Which was a highly specific situation that doesn't really occur during competitive play. And a shield blob jam - Which was caused by toggling off intelligent behavior and not making all units move at the same speed using ctrl. Oh, and I once saw an AI unit get stuck on a hill while spectating.

None of that is *game breaking*, none of that is unfixable - even if new devs fucked up, and none of that implies we should keep wasting money every year buying the same stuff, and cucking to companies that nowadays are only held afloat through esports or modders fixing their garbage.

What is that game in the third image?

TripleA

In fact it's literally in the fucking filename.

The problem is that there aren't any strong competitors to Paradox. So Johan and his band are free to be as Jewish as possible without anyone stopping them.
The grand strategy genre itself needs a renaissance. Things can't go on like this, eventually we'll hit a wall.

If it's some easy then show me such scenario. Preferably some with 100+ nations, thousand of events and 3000 or so cities. I'll wait.

I'm on ouroboros or whatever the fuck you call it. I can only see the Holla Forums file name, not the original name. Bump because fuck proprietary software

/thread

Muslims will come to the rescue and burn Sweden, and Paradox with it, down. Can't jew the goyim if your throat was cut because you're an infidel.

this. anyone still contributing to capital doesnt belong here

I take pirating for 500$, Alex.

Yeah that's why for the version 104 they took great effort to make the path finding less shit. Go order 10 units to go in a same spot, what happens? They will form a blob instead of stopping and do some sort of a formation that is not messy. It is not even possible to keep a units lined up since other units will push the other one away instead of moving around it.

I could give you pictures of units that formed 60+ units long solid merged line out of factory to their destination point if I had Springga still installed.

And no, they didn't fix it, it's still happening, open a ticket at their bug tracker and they will close it as duplicate of 7 years old unsolved ticket, telling you that you should help them write code instead of just opening a bug report ticket for a bug doing what in their eyes is evil complaining, you can even get banned for that on their forum.