SS13 - Space Station 13 - Upsetting Round End Edition

Its an autistic shift-based roleplaying game based from a poorly coded atmospherics simulator with clowns
You download the BYOND client byond.com/
Use the keybind (CTRL + O) and post the IP into the "Enter the hub identifier" box.
byond://165.227.105.190:1488
8station.miraheze.org/wiki/Starter_Guide
8chanserverhost is the current host and head admin for Honkstation.
>Wow, I'm a button pusher/coder/ERPer, and I'd really love to join the admin team so I can shitpost with my (((fellow niggers)))!
Contact 8chanserverhost over byond or while they're on the server.
If you know anything in regards of the game, and you'd like to help us, we need to update the information on the wiki, and it would be fantastic if you could contribute. Thank you.
>New content made by the (((hardworking))) staff members
NTR's office has been updated and given their own cloak, New guns have been implemented and one has been placed into the vault, and limits have been added to the events to prevent any lowpop early shuttlecalls.
>Upcoming content made by the (((hardworking))) staff members?
Job Specific TC items, niggering and making new items for each job
shadowling never ever

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/FNgyH23a
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/31855
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30700
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30530
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24564
github.com/vgstation-coders/vgstation13/pull/16296
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/32195
mediafire.com/file/pvnncz6hnywiaqq/JunkStation.dmm
patreon.com/unitystation
space-wizards.github.io/about/
kickstarter.com/projects/799687658/eva/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh man, I am sure upset at (specific event) that happened in (currently ongoing round)

GONDOLA OR RIOT
Also mice autobreeding. Infinite ratburger or else server crash from the unkempt lag.

Lies. They're happening more often now. Used to be every half hour, now it seems every ten minutes.

Reisen I know you're back.

Is riesen truly back? I miss him, he was the only competent headmin back then.

Is Lifeweb discussion allowed?

No.
Actually, yes.
How the fuck do you make pickaxes or knives as a caveman without a blacksmith? I haven't been able to do anything except makeshift arrows and axes, also is there a way to cut trees with knives or spoons? I've seen several people do it as Hunters or simple Chefs but i have no idea what the fuck you're supposed to do to not have them break every time you use them.

Can't make a new pickaxe without a blacksmith but there are some places in which you can find them in the caves, I only know of the copper one in one of the migrant spawns and perhaps a couple on the eastern edge and the south-western corner of the map. Should ask a more experienced player.

As for cutting shrooms spoons and knives are unbreakable so you won't have to worry, you have to sharpen a spoon first by banging it with a rock and then sharpen it until you hear a sound play when you do so. If you have any other cutting tool just sharpen them with a stone after 3 or so hits, examine it to see if it's damaged and make sure not to get to a "critically damaged" point or using a stone won't be enough to repair it.

By the way as a tip if you don't have boiling tools: you can squash purring maggots by clicking them on any container, if you then examine the container with combat intent on you can smell the liquid and if it smells of rot don't drink it, if not enjoy delicious milk.

great game, haven't played for a while
wish my english was good enough to play
ru-stations are complete garbage, all of them
part of the reason why I stopped playing
at least roleplaying in SS13 helped me break my 70 words per minute skill ceiling back in the day

maybe i'll spectate a couple of rounds

Nah he'd never come back.

You mean smashing the spoon on a rock, or smashing a small stone in it? I know how to sharpen things, but last time i tried using a Hunting Knife on a shroom, it got critically damaged at the second hit.

Is that the only way to drink something that isn't water in a teapot? I know some purring maggots tend to have that bone-destroying liquid that just fucks you up, but i din't know some of them had actual milk inside. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah sharpen the spoon normally like any other weapon but before you can use it to cut down shrooms it must make a "sharpening" sound when you're sharpening it, which is after a few hits. You should've examined your knife since most of the time you spawn with a damaged one.

And yeah if maggot milk smells like rot it will give you the bone-melt, if not it is safe to drink (not sure if it's 100% always safe but it is at least 95% of the time it will be). Just go for a few gulps then from there you can rely on your own piss, just stand on top of a container to piss in it. I say it because when you spawn for the first time you won't have any piss in you, gotta drink something first.

I did examine my knife beforehand, it said it was Well-sharpened with blue text before i began cutting, but it went critically damaged after 2 hits. Maybe it was because i was a fisherman or something, even though i had somewhat good stats (11+ across the board). From what i've seen, they only spawn "dull", aka all you need to do is sharpen them before use. I had an axe spawn as "critically damaged" once as a shroomscutter but it got fixed after a few rock bangs.

That's just how quickly it gets deteriorated then. A recent update made it so that you cannot repair a critically damaged weapon by sharpening it anymore.

Also one more important tip for new players: if you've picked a non-combat oriented fate, act like it. You'll be worthless in any fight, skills are everything and unless you purposely spend time training yourself, you'll hardly win any direct confrontation. If you really have to kill someone, resort to sneaky tactics, poison, throwing stuff (you won't hit anything with a ranged weapon). This goes for players, mobs might be a different story, just remember that normal SS13 tactics are still valid.

Go for it. Funnily enough on the colonial marines server I roleplay as a russian doctor. I don't speak russian only english and a little french… a couple words in russian. pls join our serb we need the people

What is lifeweb? I've seen it talked about in the thread sorta but never looked it up. It sounds like it's some kind of caveman simulator (post apoc???) with good combat.

I'll think about it.

It's a caveman rape simulator where you fuck kids and dead bodies.
Maybe, that's just for scares though. It's got the best melee combat system and medical system there could ever be in SS13 that isn't Baymed. It's also got incredibly deep lore that ties in with the gameplay, antags and everything else, plus its mechanics encourage tons of roleplay and cooperation between departments while still allowing them to be completely independant with the currency system inplace.
However, if you don't have a ckey that's made before nov. 2015, you can't play unless you pay $25 to a russian asshole who hates people. It also has pay2win 30cm dicks and dickgirls that you can buy to rape people with and break their pelvis from the sheer girth.

wew

Th-thanks /tg/….

no thank you

I love fngyh23a! If it were up to me, there'd be enough fngyh23a for everyone.

I don't understand

It doesn't make sense because i deliberately only put up what could be considered the best and worst parts about it. It really goes beyond that and the only reason it has the whole "no ckeys made after nov.2015" is ban evaders and newfags.

The premise is about a post-apocalyptic world called Evergreen that, because of an insane degradation of both human living standards, massive loss of techonology over a thousand years due to the fall of the only intergalactic power that mattered, the TNC or Tri-Net Corporation, and a war against soulbreakers that nuked the shit out of the planet. You are now living, travelling to or are associated in some way with an underground medieval-like fortress called Ravenheart at the northen end of the continent.
The namesake of the game itself is based on the powersource that the fortress utilizes, which is basically a huge torture chamber where you stick someone in a cage, he gets his blood sucked out in the most painful way possible and some kind of hellish machinery that emmits radiation that fries your eyes converts that blood into kWatts.

From what i saw, most of the buyable fates are either crippled, heavily dependant on Fort roles which are all free or are outclassed by migrants in nearly every way. Except probably the Crusader, who is shit without a migrant team because no survival tools, can't jump because armor and his sword starts heavily damaged anyways.

Oh, and you can still adquire 30+cm dicks without having to pay by killing a skinless, cutting his dick and having it sewn on you

It actually has a game mode whereas an inactive ancient TNC space outpost named OS13 is reactivated and their crew has to prepare for an invasion against the Ravenheart fortress or a Soulbreaker Fleet.

How hard would it be to nigger their combat and medical system for ss13? I'm guessing you would have to recreate it, personally.

pastebin.com/FNgyH23a

the issue with that is lifeweb has been designed by one person with a coherent idea in mind. ss13 has been handed around so much that even your mother would say it's too much.

gitgud was right in wanting to start over with a completely new codebase but he drove all our fucking coders out, other then afew autists, to forever stay in the cease pit known as nu/tg/ because "lol no other server is relevant" *farts out half baked game breaking meme shit for lavaland*

OwO what's this

Outside of effort and coding, there wouldn't be too much to prevent us from doing our own codebase. But with all of that effort, it'd be better to code it on something that isn't byond.

The hardest part is networking and concurrency.

that's the trouble with ss13 over all

cue either ss13 clone that goes nowhere or coder leaving to do their own shit

The thing is, which is what I see with alot of ss13 clones is that they don't keep the same art style/sprites that the game comes with. They keep on trying to make their own dumb ass style, which always looks fucking terrible.
I wouldn't think it'd be hard to make an object based engine like byond, nigger all of the icons and recode it into something that's both clean and not shit to work with.

All you literally need is OpenGL and some .dll framework to read input and shit, like SFML or SDL or whatever. You probably shouldn't use an engine like Unity or Gamemaker or even Godot for it, since they tend to be bloaty. A middleware framework is probably the sweet spot for a project like this.

But yeah, networking and scripting are the tricky bits

I think the issue is their scope gets so wide that they get way over their head investing their time into something so beyond them that they ultimately give up. unless it's a pet project where they're less so interested in the game it self but more the maths behind it or what have you

Even making a simple engine that can be added upon would be better than a majority of ss13 clones.

so then the issue is getting the kinda ""community"" and following ss13 has to use it and expand it

The current community of ss13 outside of our tight group of autists are the biggest degenerates and third world retards I have seen. I'd say let people do what they want to do with it, since they'll form their own group and hopefully stay there.

that's great and all, start working.

Okay.

good boy

> github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/31855
> github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30700 / github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/30530
Come on now

What would be a good gameplay mechanic anyways?
Its not much but I was thinking of adding I'm a useless ideas guy actually actually sorry Sokoban puzzles to mining. It wouldn't be covered in unbreakable walls per se but you'd need thermite to bypass the whole thing.

Bump.

There was talk in OOC about placing the serber on public for a while bit, there's just not enough pop to even have a regular round anymore, it's all extended+.

My Meteor Shield© project us a bust. Long rounds hold no meaning for me anymore. My night sky is a little dimmer, as a star has fallen.

you could change code base around and maybe do other games then ss13 for awhile till our code base is at a stage where it's different enough to be worth playing for the regs again

Party is up if anyone wants to join.

I haven't played in awhile, but I remember our temporary move to public being a net positive. Our crew is generally reactive, typically hopping on-board en-masse if there are a number of other players on, and public gave a nice backbone of retards to laugh at who would keep the serb alive.

I mean I guess.

Okay nevermind, 5 players now.
Please join.

It jumped back down to 3. It's been chill though.

Each new year has brought new faced problems to the server. Population, and content are still our major issues, and without one, we can't have the other. It's a bit of a pickle we're stuck in, and without pubbies introducing fresh, stupid blood to the server, we might not have those remaining three autists playing with one another if our trends continue this poorly.
Either we dissolve our culture through an eternal september campaign to keep fresh, happy players on our server or we find a new alternative to keep this dead horse relevant.

oh fire station… i miss you so goddamn much.

i was kind of thinking of trying to get into ss13 again but it seems like you guys have a lot of problems so i dunno

Not too many. Might as well hop in and learn to grow the most potent weed witnessed by man.
Right now it's closer to a squad game than station sim. 'Try to keep things from blowing up' rather than 'try to keep other people from murdering'.

The only problem we have is not having enough people playing or shitposting about. I mean, the more people join, the more likely others do so too, so if you want to help out just play some vidya for a bit.

Not even 'play'. Turn it on while you're doing other shit, be an unreliable npc.

BEGIN THE SHEMITAH

And one last bump.

that's not effective, if people don't see you playing then that's basically the same as not playing at all

A consideration: The holidays are coming up, and outside of Holla Forums, normalfags are going to be pressed for time. Expect either a lot more NEETs or almost no players for the next 2-3 months

Despite the frightening emphasis on 30cm dicks, I'm curious. Where would I go to at least observe this game?

SS13 has a lot of problems holding it down now these days that I don't feel motivated playing it. There just isn't a server I can feel happy on anymore because of content disparity and cancerous playerbases. And nobody gives a shit about roleplaying.

you can't observe it and if you die you're stuck in a hard to see hell until you actually go to hell to be able to respawn

I guess I'll try Youtube videos then. I think I've seen a couple.

Russian derelict is bullshit in so many ways. Chief among them, there isn't enough scrap left in it to properly repair, and whatever singularity nova occurred warped the walls beyond recognition.
IUNCUS will be a breeze in comparison. MEANINGFUL FLOOR PLANS

I honestly don't like the space russians, I kinda want them to be more like red alert 2 instead of just there

I had an idea.

I know the space maps get randomized each round, so that one edge leads to a different place every round, resulting in eg, wrap around or map changes. How many maps are there?

My idea is to basically standardize it to six maps and randomly place them on a cube like pic related. Thus, it makes you so you have to traverse two edges to get to the other side. You could have a number of maps in a pool (say 12), and at the start of the game, pick the core station map, plus 2-3 other maps randomly on the cube faces, and leave the rest blank. You could populate it with 6 actual maps, but such a round would be very rare.

Obviously this isn't feasible on our code base for various reasons, but just an idea

I'm still a little miffed that Colonial Marines got rid of the Iron Bears. Those were the best Space Russians.

colon marines is nothing but trash and you should feel bad for playing on it

I know but i don't have anywhere else to play on.

try playing with your mom lol gaymo

It was a nice time playing with you autists tonight. See you tomorrow.

Absoultely disgusting.

as a ghost you can't go through walls and your vision is like that of a near blind and colour blind retarnd

Small wonder this community is fucking dying. Pic unrelated.

tbh we need a code base which ravels goonstation so that we can fix the fucking community of the game by force

So not a ghost, got it. Any remaining interest I had in payweb is gone.

Start by going public in intervals. Get some pubbies, make regulars out of a couple, and be private so they become conditioned to our culture instead of diluting it. Then go public again.
AKA what immigration was before the (((1960's.)))

lifejew seems like a very long struggle getting over the initial pebbles and then the rest of the game isn't that fun since you have to be ten times as paranoid then any other server anyways.

we did actually, what happened was when the server changed over what people we had went away because the name of the server changed.

Change the name back???

not my server anymore

you don't have the right to call other people autistic if you are playing SS13

Stand back, pleb. I'm about to show you some REAL forward thinking map design.

First lets discuss the wheel, the main part of the station:

The Spoke:

Now for the difficulties of this design:

What do you nigs think?

Back to Earthbound I go!

Still down, six hours later.

Been spending the time playing lw.
I had no idea spamming jump would be that useful in low-heat situations.
Or that you could build shit for cheaper by being an engineer.

Learned how to blacksmith too, i'm guessing improving items past 2 gives them those *spiked* or +plus+ sings to denote its quality. Quite interesting mechanic, but really reliant on time and preparation, wished it wasn't that slow and din't require so many resources.

been a long while since I played. I could hop back on maybe tomorrow or the next day.

Why not advertise the server on the other image boards like endchan and mewch?

LW is only on the weekends still?

Yup. Up until 12pm for today, so if you want to play in burgertimes and you have a ckey older than nov2015, better wake up early.

that sort of thing never really works without having something kinda backbone to reinforce it, like some kinda visual difference to other code bases

What's the address to the serb?

Just make so people in space can only see and interact with the "Spoke" area, if you are on the "Donut" and get to a space tile you just get ported to a pseudo-random distance from the spoke to simulate being throw by the centripetal force
Sorta, aurora station has them and it doesn`t make all that difference gameplay wise, you can always code tiles to be unable to build anything on it or give the player vision of the other level so cheap traps can`t be made

The rest is coding issues that I don`t know about it, overall great idea, the common, boring, station design is starting to wear me down

In the end wasn't spider's degeneracy that killed the server.
I find this hilarious on multiple levels.

that I do not remember. I fucking hated LW. Everyone hypes it over and over again, but no one explains shit to you, so I'd just go in there and repeated get killed over and over and over again.

by the way, Aurora station solves the multiple levels sing loose problem by getting rid of the singularity/tesla engine, they instead have the supper matter main energy setup as default.

The idea of an area with no gravity ever seems pretty fucking cool, you should make some kind of 0g space warehouse and divide cargo into Office/Warehouse divisions, the office take requests and orders it and the warehouse get the shuttle, loads it and send it up via elevator or tubes, it would give a much needed revamp for cargo techs, it really is a boring job at the moment with little depth to it, also ENGs and Cargo Tech really fit each other both are fucking incompetent

Cargo is boring if you just fulfil requests. Instead you should order things for yourself and other cargo techs. Run it like it is your personal kingdom with your own guns, tools, research machines and anything else you would want. This is more fun especially if you do it without being very obvious about it.

Engineering needs rework the most. It is a very boring job. Setting up engine exactly the same way every round, repairs take way too long (especially refilling air and fixing pipes and wiring) so any serious damager results in shuttle call on a populated station. There is no difference between godly and shitty engine setups for station itself. Unfortunately any rework that I've seen either make setting up engine harder (vg and bay) or add too much and get shut down because of balance (tg).

it's almost as conduct is a separate thing or something

everything is actually pretty simple it's just jarring at first

there just need other ways of doing things, right now there's just afew ways that can only work done in a specific way

Now my idea feels a bit lackluster.

they're ideas. don't matter, what matters is the work put into actually making them come about

Forgot to answer yesterday.
byond://46.188.0.249:XXXXX
There's three servers associated with this IP.
S1 would be 1923, S2 would be 2422 and S4 would be 2001. S3 used to be a gateway server for people who had ckeys younger than nov'15 but it's been defunct for a long while now, it's port was 1776.

As said before, serber is only up on weekends. You can't play without the party being on.
I highly recommend not playing and reading the KNOWLEDGE verb on the OOC tab once you connect next friday afternoon, reading through all of it gives you a general idea on what you're going to find and what you can do, plus a link to their discord where you can beg to be spoonfed mechanics. Even better would be to find someone or a group who is already experienced and squadding up to be migrant, it's the easiest (but also the most dangereous) way to learn to play.

Is server still dead? Will I be able to spessmen later or not?

Still down, still dead.

Kell Station seems to be ok, in that they're just starting out and testing Bay code.
The differences are remarkable. The improvements amazing. The multiple floors that you can fall through are nice.

serb could very well be ded forever, especially since we've seem to have no official word from host

And nothing of value was lost until we've heard from the host.

(checked)
I still have the file, and consequentially a copy of our codebase on hard disk.
If host is actually kill then I can either post all the files IUNCUS included (as a death knell so anons can paw over it and at least look at it) or someanon can make their own serb and become new host.
I think I said as much a thread or two ago but it was in the middle of a big dramafest. I can say for certain right now I'm still pretty swamped with college stuff, like for example spending 9 straight hours yesterday programming with PHP because the developers of it can't into 2D arrays properly unlike every other programming language. The amount of workarounds were legendary. At any rate, current state of affairs for IUNCUS:
Civilian Wing: DONE
Cargo: DONE
Medical: DONE
Command: HALF DONE
Science: A BIT OVER HALF DONE
Security: NOT DONE AT ALL
Engineering: AT LEAST A SMALL AMOUNT DONE
Arrivals/departures: I GUESS DONE CONSIDERING THAT ARRIVALS IS A HOLE IN THE WALL OF THE STATION
Botanydome: DONE
Any extra areas like asteroids or the gas giant thing I wanted: NOT EVEN TOUCHED

-This of course excludes the lower Z level (which is maintenance, atmos, the other half of cargo, old arrivals [spooky zone], and some other stuff)
-This also excludes "integration and testing", like making sure all the door permissions, shutter buttons, levers, and stuff like that actually work. I plan to do all that last, hopefully with some codefag or something.
-This also also excludes the fact that I'll have to re-floor tile a good chunk of the station's tiles because the default base texture for most tiles is set to SPACE and not asteroid floor or some kind of metal plating (for the level below it). Be nice to have some kind of tool in dream maker that changes only the base texture for a tile.

Speaking of which for atmos I just thought of a fun round project for them. Might have their TEG system start out running on FREEZERS instead of a space loop, but actually give them at least one hardsuit so they can go build a cooling loop if they want. TEG can output in the millions of watts if you do it right so running freezers is nothing… unless you want to autism it…

I guess we just wait on straya fag

I don't want to jump the gun and pay for another server till he comes back

We could create our own group for this upcoming party, just a question of how we gather together.

He just keeps getting worse.

Why contain it?

tbh

Serb's back up.
Come here for events™

Isn't SpiderAnon the guy who asks people to post their lips?

Any explanation?
I kinda really liked the Bay code more. If anything, it had a more detailed aesthetic and door mechanics. Almost sad I have prior commitment here.

no, but feel free to post your lips

yes I was

Could just be a simple irc channel or something. I don't trust discord nor any other voice-centered clients and BYOND chat is a complete shit.

Get in here faggots.

Never mind, don't get in here. The lag comes in waves and disconnects everyone.

Kell Station is practically empty all the time, if anyone wants to cozy together and attempt to figure out Baycode shenanigans. I recommend it as a holdover until Honkstation gets its shit back together. If that occurs. Maybe.

I never understood surgery in baymod. I heard you don't even get a computer to check steps to whatever you're doing and that you can do several different surgeries at the same time on the same body depending on which body part they are in.

It's a totally different beast. Some things are far more complex, yet others are missing. No pussywagon, no singularity, but what replaces them are twice as complex. Looking at R&D, they have no need to lube the protolathe it seems, but circuit printing has a secondary machine to make device pieces.
Fucking weird man. I wish more games were as organic as SS13. Imagine if it was just hundreds of mod communities, we'd have shit like PU's Battlegrounds coming out all the time.

Only other thing I can think of with this divergence off the base engine is Gmod.

Connection just fell down. Great.

What a terrible night to have a curse.

Actually, R&D machinery lubrication is exclusive to our server– not even nuTG has this feature, and it was added to make R&D less tedious by allowing players to lube it to make the Protolathe produce x5 and x10 items faster at the risk of overheating/exploding the machine.

From what i gather, the new machine introduced in Bay is the machinist/electrician's, which allows you to create copies of existing designs and tries to replicate/improve upon them. Like a reverse-DA, instead of deleting items to gather technologic data to create new items, it scans items to try and create imperfect but cheap copies of it.

Hello guys, I might of accidently didn't have enough to pay for the server, and I completely forgot to pay for it. Please understand. Honkstation is online.
Regarding content for our dead server, We currently have a project team who are currently autisming as much as they can. Hopefully for once it'll be complete unlike shadowling :^)
I do greatly apologise for letting the server die temporarily.

Whats the major differences between baycode and our current code? From reading from the replies it looks like a massive overhaul.

That sucks

Baycode is a fork that focuses on heavy RP and "realism" by making fighting and damage more deadly and by making healing much more harder. They also have more difficult engine set up and more dangerous air simulation. For example, brief exposure to space without internals almost always results in punctured lung, which results in death if not treated. It requires surgery.
Air flow from holes in hull can deal high damage and result in broken bones which also require surgery to fix. Surgery tools don't have 100 working chance even with perfect conditions.

Bay also has furry races as alien races.

Our fork is one of better ones. Why do you think it is bad?

Waiting on someone more familiar with IRC channels to open one then.

Meh it's easy as shit to do, i'll set one up later on rizon or whatever.

That sounds exactly like colonial marines. You can combine surgeries that are on the same body part, and the health scanner won't tell you everything. You have to put them into an advanced scanner which gives a full report of bodily damage like bones, shrapnel, etc.
One thing that makes it easier is you get a text line saying "you don't see a useful way to use that" if you use the wrong tool, instead of just slashing the shit out of them like in our codebase.

IMO it's pretty great, though I've never played baystation. One of the reasons I like our codebase is that our krokodil goes all the way and makes you a bone man, which is funny. In yogstation it makes you a retarded zombie.

rip it out if we fork.

Alright i made a channel on irc.rizon.net named #8chlf. If you're gonna be playing lifeweb and want a metagroup to learn basics or whatever the heck, join it. If you don't know how to get on irc, better boot up a search engine and learn how to do so since you can do it with a webclient, so you don't even have to download anything.
I'd still recommend getting something like hexchat, irssi or whatever since they're convenient and give you more options

I will kick anyone that decides to use it for metacomms in either honkstation or kellstation, i will not kick people who won't be playing but still want to learn about lifeweb because reasons.
Let's not make this another "le metaclub boogieman", this is strictly for lifeweb parties only.

I wonder if there was anything interesting on github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24564

Can't wait for the invasion of pieces of the lifeweb userbase trying to undermine the server
Be on guard, host.

Amazing. Someone goes out of his way to make a department good, giving rewards for actually playing it and doing their job, and the idea is completely shat on because "ree you shouldn't get extra shit for playing those roles!"

There's no counter suggestion, no "why not X instead of Y", nothing at all. Just a long list of "I don't like thing".
Nevermind that Mining was at exactly the same stage Engineering is right now back when there was no Mining Vendor, where Miners got absolutely nothing for doing their job except maybe some fancier pickaxes from Science so they could do their job some more. And then Science just made Ripleys and went mining on it's own so Miner's were more about exploring the asteroid and finding loot caches than actually turning in ore.

All those cunts are shitting on his idea because it's not as tedious as RNG or meta knowledge from other departments, despite Science getting memeguns just by following a pastebin or Genetics\Virology pumping out demigods in 15-20 minutes without even having to leave their department.
Those people are fucking retarded, they have no idea what they actually want and I'm sure they'll also be the ones that complain about "stale gameplay\content" the most.

Hilariously, this idea has already been suggested many times and it's always blasted for being unpopular despite having been proven right before and now again:
A monetary system that rewards players for doing their job is the best way to get people to actually do their job.
Mining is an excelent example of this, considering the change in attitude from players once the vending machine was introduced. Now they don't mine to be nice people or get a diamond pickaxe, they do it for whatever reward they fancy from that machine.
Implementing something similar for every other department would help a lot as long as it also helps other players when you perform your job instead of only rewarding yourself.

The problem with the standard economy attempts at /vg/ or goon is always twofold: that it's a fucking chore to even use for no good reason (compare ATM's and other machines to the ORM) and that you never get any decent things to spend your cash on, so why even bother getting it? If you could use cash in Cargo to pay for your own orders, everyone would work for that Ian\Hat crate, but if all you can use it is in Snack Machines or clothing vendors, then you have Space Venezuela, where money ain't worth shit.

I second this. On top of that, having a charge for everything. Not just vending machines, but what if you could charge people in other departments for things? Oh boy, looks like engineering did 0 work, I guess they don't get any new hardsuits from cargo despite the fact that they flushed all their current ones out the airlock in a drunken stupor.

How about science (they would need it in the game first but) prints mining some regular mc drills to make it easier (or even a whole ripley) and they've earned a nice chunk of ore being shipped to them. etc. etc.
My point is that what if the rewards for everyone doing their jobs tied into one another or something? I am personally not a fan of "do your job and get sweetums" rule, but without it or a suitable replacement nobody does their jobs.

t. I often play chemistry and since nobody needs medicine (because medibots took our jerbs) I usually just end up making meme grenades.

I don't like the point system what so ever tbh, then again I don't like the random goodies scattered about "exploration" either. I think that the only way to actually make departments better is to remove limits rather then insert more, if someone replaced the recipe system and put in something alot more open ended I'd say that shit would be vastly superior over all

the reason why that kinda thing came about is due to bored kiddies needing a reason to do thing other then the fact that you need thing because everyone got to such a point where you can be super robust on the station without ever having to leave the station and that your only limit is your ability to achieve your ends.

That's actually not a good idea. Jobs being dependant on one another isn't popular for a good reason, it requires someone else to be playing that role and cooperate with you to get anything done. That's how Mining and Science used to work, how R&D and Chemistry used to work and it's how Kitchen and Botany work, etc.
In fact, the best example is how Engineering and the entire station work, where everyone needs power but nobody is willing to spend a boring round doing nothing past 5 minutes.

I think the reason it worked so well with Mining it's because cooperation ends up being a benefitial side-effect, instead of the main focus in it.
A Miner doesn't much care about who takes his Ore after he brings it back, only the credits he automatically gets once he delivers them, which means he will work wether there's Scientists\Chemists\AnyoneElse to take advantage of his Ore.
For something similar to other jobs, you'd need something like Geneticists getting a bonus for every power they discover and make available to everyone else (like a vending machine that rewards injectors based on how many powers are activated)

It's an hard concept, especially for reactive jobs like Security and Medbay. Even Robustin's suggestion has a problem (that nobody in that discussion mentioned because they're all fucking idiots): If Engineers are rewarded periodically based on the station integrity, any dip in their pay will mean there's a hole somewhere, ruining stealth sabotages.
A lot of departments could just sell what they produce (Chemistry is a very good example) and be paid half on the spot and the rest once someone buys it, meaning you make money even if someone doesn't buy anything but you make more by selling things people actually want.

Also, the problem with medibots is a deeper issue regarding balance. Medbots, Sleepers and even Chem Dispensers all give out chems with the only cost being electrical power, something you can get infinite amounts of.

The whole concept of turning power into chemicals is what's wrong, Medbots should need to be charged with chemicals, possibly a specific one that he can use to heal various types of damage at a slow rate, Sleepers should need canisters of chems or have an internal tank and the Chem Dispenser should just go entirely. It causes far more balancing issues than it's worth it, a large stockroom filled with 200u canisters of chems that you can only take from (to avoid memetastic grenades), something similar to SS2 chemical rooms, would be far better, especially if Chemistry could buy chemical containers.

It's counter-intuitive, but that's actually the whole point of an economy to be added. It seems you are limiting what players can access by putting a paywall on it, but in reality you're expanding the content players have access to by putting even more things behind a paywall that couldn't be anywhere else in the game without upsetting everyone.

There's currently an Harpoon gun in the code that's rarely if ever seen because it's actually quite powerfull (and excelent to hunt Carps).
Putting it anywhere on the station means everyone will bum-rush it at round start, unless you put massive amounts of RNG to deter them, like the rifle inside the Vault's coffer.
Put it in a machine with a very high price and now everyone has a shot at it if they perform their job really well, which is far better for the game than everyone quickly retreating into Maintenance for 15 minutes or not having that weapon spawn anywhere at all.

You're not so much creating a limit but rather creating a proper place where things can actually be placed with a cost associated to them that's not just even more RNG.

except that actually isn't going to be the case since hacking into the vault isn't a hard thing to do. you can not reasonably make people to follow in line with this rather narrow expectation when the fact of the matter is that the only reason why a grey tide hasn't gotten his hands upon everything in the station yet is because he's done it so many times and he's bored of it now

Oh my sweet maintenance child, that's the easy part.
The hard part is bringing a stethoscope and spending 15 minutes turning 2 dials listening to the sound it makes and trying to understand them so you can finnaly open that coffer.
Good luck doing that if you didn't read the code and know exactly the words you're looking for, since not even C4 will open that thing.

most things are locked behind a pretty decent amount of RNG or boring tasks.
Genetics, Virology, Botany and Xenobio are 15 minutes of autism, R&D is "follow the current pastebin" and everything else is either reactive (Medbay, Engineering) and you have to wait for something to happen or you'll have expectations placed on you (Security) and fuck that, might as well be free as an assistant.

Your point stands valid for Chemistry as it's fairly easy to get inside and create several grenades and chemicals in a matter of seconds, but then again it's a very visible department and people will know why you broke inside, so they'll be more agressive towards you.

Everything else on the station is frequently robbed by any assistant passing nearby if nobody took it beforehand, the reason why every locker in maintenance is open after 10 minutes.

the safe has a gun it doesn't hold the space cash you autistic fucker

that's exactly what I said you autistic fucker

I wasn't talking about space cash, mate. I said that currently the game has a weapon that deals a very high amount of Brute damage (60 or 80, can't remenber) with extra ammo and it's available on the map. The only reason it's not taken it's because it requires a lot of autism and meta knowledge to bypass the safe's locks.

Nope, you implied that the usual greytide doesn't steal everything nailed down anymore because he already did it a lot of times, when that's not accurate as a lot of content isn't even on the map to begin with, it must be produced first with boring methods.

yes you fucking were, your whole god damn point was that everything needs a bloody money system like mining has, you autistic fucker

"done it" isn't specific to anything other then a innuendo you autistic fucker

stop needing to be right on everything all the fucking time and accept some level of mistake no one will think less of you for it you autistic fucker this is why no one likes you, you autistic fucker

How about chemical carts like the water and welder fuel. AFAIK you cannot refill them, they only carry what they're supposed to, and don't chemistry. No ultra memebombs there, plus you get a lot more than 200u.
Then make more departments dependant on chemistry because most of the time I feel like people just break into medical storage and ignore it. If people legitimately needed chemistry it would be better.
Balance to a point of "you could get on without it but it's so much better if you have it".
Also, I know yog has it, but we dont: every chemical needs an overdose threshold. Yes it makes death by medicine smoke grenades a thing but that's just it, I can't just throw medicine smokes and cure everyone. Doctor's delight might be nice but it has an overdose. Tricordazine has no overdose.
All in all having combat be more risky would also be better.
a) medbay is less bored
b) tater tots don't murderbone so much.

Bullshit, try injecting 60u at once, the fact is that DD's threshold is that much shorter at 30us.
I honestly don't like the idea, because suddently giving every assistant a way to break bones with their toolboxes just sounds like so much fun for everyone involved, specially if you can never truly heal that bone and you'll always contineously drop things because of it even if the bone was on your left toe.

I kinda like the way LFWB handles damage; Whereas most of it is just "pain" that doesn't actually crit you but cripples your ability to do many things yet, if you actually get away/win and find a doctor, any broken bones can be fixed with a good arm wrenching back into place and surgery to suture bleeding and cut arteries isn't exactly convoluted, just tied into a stat that every doctor has in decent amounts. Oh, and you can just sleep off minor damage if you have a bed and your stomach is full, which is nice.

My point was that there are a lot of things that have no suitable place to be placed in the game unless you put them behind heavy amounts of RNG or very time consuming tasks.
A monetary system is just a way to create a platform where you can place those things and instead of doing one specific boring\RNG task, you can do whatever specific thing your role does and use the credits you earn to buy it.

This means that you could possibly add things into the game that aren't related to any specific role as a reward instead of everything being focused on that specific role, the one problem that a "point system" has when it's autistic and special snowflake to that specific job.
Robustin's suggestion of a Mech specifically for engineers for instance is shit. Let Robotics have the option to build said Mech but also have a machine where you convert a large amount of space bucks into that Mech, giving you the option of either playing Robotics and using materials or doing whatever your job is and buying the Mech.

Also, you're replaying to someone with the same ID you have. If it's someone you're sharing an IP with, go there IRL and smack him good, don't just have an internet fight.

Problem with carts is that they take more space. The storage you'd need for a cart for each chemical currently in ChemDispenser would be bigger than Chemistry itself and it would be horrible to use them considering they are opaque for movement.
Bigger liquid canisters can be stored in shelves and multiple on the same tile, that's their only advantage over using carts.

I really wish a lot of machines on the station didn't just ran on electrical power but also needed different chemicals to run, especially if a lot of them just made things easier or gave you better versions of what you usually have.
Like many Science machines needing a lubricant to work faster or prevent overheating, cooler liquids for engineering, different chemicals that Botany could combine into a custom fertilizer, etc.

It's also slow as shit. Remenber that, it's no substitute for proper medicine and really a bad idea in emergencies.

No, it would be different, not better or worse. It heavily depends on what userbase you want to have. A more RP centric fanbase will love the time they spend in medbay healing their bones as that's an oportunity to RP with the medical staff and roleplay their injuries afterwards, but a more action focused playerbase will see it as a delay on the game that's not very fun.
It's really up to what kind of players you want in the server.

You're going to merge it?

alright then I'll actually state a more reasonable point then "I don't like thing" alot of those items in the game which don't have a suitable place are only down to the game being designed by random fuckers not cooperating what so ever. if there was an actual design plan then you could actually have a work around to all these nice things instead of just "just like stick it in lavaland xd".

the real issue is that the job it's self isn't fun enough to be the reward on it's own, having to carrot and stick players onto doing autistic thing for half an hour till you get killed or kill everyone else is not how the game should handle this what so ever and I can line up examples of games which handle this kinda thing well.

Nah, tripsman. Just a regular poster venting my frustration, but I would try it if I was a maintainer there.
It's just very sad seeing ideas like these completely shutdown without even being tested live for a bit. Half of the reason for using Git is sharing code more easily, but the other half is the ability to easily revert merges so they could merge, test and then revert if there were any serious conflicts or problems.

That's a more sensible point with which I'll fully agree. The whole reason there are so many weapons in the codebase that are rarely seen to begin with (some being NukeOps exclusive even) is because they were added by faggots more interested in tacticool shit than spessmens, for example.

A good point that nobody will disagree with you, but solutions for this aren't easy when they often negatively impact the rest of the game. Making engineering harder means repairs, construction and maintenance are harder, making holes and malfunctions much more severe for anyone else playing the game. Medbay being harder means longer downtimes for everyone.
You can also make a billion different details that a player has to know, but that's just burden of knowledge not actual depth.
Or you can make teleportation involve using an equation that describes projectiles trajectories, but then someone will just make an Excel sheet.
Adding depth to a job isn't really that easy.

And even then, if there's no reward at the end of it, why even go through that effort? Genetics isn't fun at all, but at least you get something out of it, which is why you'll see geneticists more often than engineers.

Please do, I'd like to read examples of good game design.

Best I can think of is Factorio, where complexity increases the further you go on a tech tree, making for a very satisfying game to play (if you play it properly) but even that game knows you gotta throw a bone to the player every now and then to reward his efforts and many tiers will give you better guns, armor, tools or vehicles to use so you're not just chaining conveyor belts around just to see big numbers.

with that merge I'd like to see all the new things but remove the point system tbh

I'd be fine with it if instead of the odd thing now and again they'd add a whole new faction or job based around an idea rather then lets end up with lots of trash

nah man, I'm more down for making alternatives to shit. I had an idea I've been playing around with for engineering that's basically adding a giant fishing machine to engineering which engineers can use to fish in lord singo for various shit for everyone depending on the size of lord singo and how coordinated players are because I was also thinking about making Tcomm into more like a sonar for space anomalies and stuff but now that I think about it I'm certain there's a way of having it so that you need to use Tcomms sonar to prob lord singo to get a guess on what kinda stuff is fishable.

Factorio was my prime example tbh with terraria and modded minecraft soon after.

To be fair, I don't think they can use signalers.

they can
they just don't have to, not in their laws to prevent damage, only repair it

This ends up hilarious for the MoMMI and rage inducing for everyone else. Perfect.

Reading that just makes me sad, all of that dudes work wasted because he wasn't on the adminbus.

By the way, lifeweb party just started. Consider getting on the irc if you're interested, we give free crash courses as long as you can play.

If you don't have an old ckey, tough luck. Nobody is gonna pay randy a dime to play this meme rape simulator, it certainly isn't worth it.

dumb nerds

lol newfaggots

TGstation's halloween event has started. I wonder how much killbaiting is going on.

how much does it cost? I wiped my old laptop and gave it away. it had all my byond stuff on there.

Around 5 or 10bux, not sure exactly maybe more, but you have to pay through btc which is gay and its no guarantee randy won't ban you to make you pay again, you're better off trying to remember your old credentials because the game sure isn't worth it.

Nothing wrong with that.

Clown used to be a punishment role, then it got used as a role for masochists, then it got used as a role for godtier chads and massive shitters

Remember that time when someone put a bitcoin miner in TGstation's radio script?
They're just going to do it themselves now

WEW

Oy Vey! Mine bitcoin for us goyim!

what the fug

Huh, I had this exact idea a couple of years ago.
A coin mining platform that you could attach to any multiplayer game, with the player able to opt-in and receive a currency that was based on how much mining they did.
The currency could then be spent on in-game cosmetics or whatever.

Of course, the only not-evil way to do this is to explicitly tell the player what they're doing and to give them the option to opt-out.
Ha ha, like they would.

Nice favorites bar on that image.

In theory, this is a good idea. BYOND has always had a way to put its funbux to use in a server (hosts can require a fee to enable certain privileges on a game by game basis, eg we could have donors start as a wizard every round) but its obviously a junky outdated system

In theory, this let's players transparently support their favorite server by only spending time, and requires no payment from them.

In reality, it will be abused and also
WEEW

once money is involved shit goes to pot

although tbh I would pay a vat of beyond to code/sprite/music up my autistic ideas for me tbh

I have no favourites, it's the top bar with the top 25 boards enabled, and those were the top 25 at the time of the screenshot.

Taqyia.
At least they have some sp00ky shit going on.
> github.com/vgstation-coders/vgstation13/pull/16296

At this point I'm trying to distribute meth but whatever. Clockwork took over the station last round but this one has been boring.

HEH
I got one of the tourists addicted to meth and he got piss mad.

github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/32195
THEY ROLL GREED!

So is anyone EVER on the 8ch server anymore?

No

what was one that psychopathic woman who played here?

EmilyInSpace

any info dumps?

That's old drama we don't need to stir up.

why not?

I know commie researcher and I moved on to greener pastures, so there go two mainstays. Probably not at any hours now.

Where are you anons playing?
We could go full mutiny and make a new serb, too, public this time.

if you can get everything a server needs that's more then what the current server has then it'd be worth it

You know I might do it with the current express purpose of testing and developing IUNCUS. I have A copy of our codebase, it's several months old at this point.
If you don't mind spoonfeeding a bit, what do I need to host/launch a server? Not sure how any of you feel about hamachi but it tends to work, especially for small settings, and I'm not paying for server. I'd probably announce that it was coming online for a bit or so for people to join; it wouldn't be up 24/7.

Or I could just quit.

make the map at least since you've put so much work into it already, I really do think it'd get people back into playing for abit tbh but to host a server it's simple really

just run dream deamon, have a port open for it, path to the codebase you want, set the visability, then compile and press go

This.

Also, if you'd really want, just for filtering out shitters/goons, you could recruit mods/admins from here and run us as trialmins until we prove ourselves. (Another idea, call the server JunkStation, for aesthetics purposes.)

You first, buddy :)

honestly I'm convinced we all are sick of each other at this point

Right. I'm assuming I can set a max playercount. I have a gayman PC but I'm not sure how much I can host. I have this old dell I found in a thrift store I was thinking of throwing linux on and using for potential servers (of various things, like apache for web, personal projects stuff) That I am absolutely not sure how much of what it can host. Hehe, I think it has XP right now, I have never turned it on.

Well, we'll see. It's a solid maybe. Maybe this weekend or something I'll have a look at dream daemon and continuation of mapping.
I had an idea to want to try making a very small scale email service that's still free. Basically the premise is gibs donations cuz it goes down if I run outa money. The other premise is because I take donations, all your shit is private and unmonitored, unlike most if not all mainstream email services. Might even use POP and make it so the emails only stay on my server until you log in, at which point they download to your PC and the server copy is deleted (which would conveniently help on storage space for me). I'm not entirely sure how it works just yet but the idea is privacy. I'm pretty good at PHP and SQL at this point, and PHP has a library for IMAP and POP. At the very least this could be put in my portfolio/resume.

if it has alright ram then it'd be fine

Pff, just remembered it never had a hard drive, which is ok. I can find a cheap one of those.
It has a single gig of ram of what speed I am unsure. It was made for XP.

I's suggest getting more tbh my server had 4 gb and it was abit slow tbh

Decent interview. Exadv1 has the right strategy to develop meteors, but with engine limitations, there won't be a decent meteor roundtype for a while to come.

Setting up an email server is fucking aids dude. I'm going to have another go at it but my last attempt went very poorly.

What language were you using?
sage for off topic but I still want this conversation

tbh use the old dell as a server, just gut the thing and use the monitor/keyboard as normal peripherals. Get more ram though, you can get a stick of ram for cheap off of amazon or newegg. Also, for the email service, look into cryptocurrency features/ decentralized servicing, I think it'll help you there.

Feh, after much **or not* consideration. I'm done. Here's a link to download the map file; anons can paw through it in dream maker or someone else can become new mapfag; fits the spirit of the game, really. Maybe I would have kept doing it if the server was actually alive. Have fun I guess, I'll still lurk.

mediafire.com/file/pvnncz6hnywiaqq/JunkStation.dmm

there's actually a couple of groups working on that, but it always seems to deadend.

patreon.com/unitystation
space-wizards.github.io/about/
kickstarter.com/projects/799687658/eva/

It's a caveman rape simulator where you fuck kids and dead bodies.

It's actually a caveman simulator where you kill kids and fuck undead bodies.

is fucking the dead bodies of children allowed?
Is fucking the dead bodies of children pedophilia?

They are slightly more nimble than simple undead bitches but i don't see why not.

Interesting, can you tell me more about her? I think I may know what her new username is, but need more info to confirm.