Rom Hacking

I had no idea the rom hacking scene was this legit. Tell me, what are some must play rom hacks? Doesn't matter the game, just share whatever you had fun with be it characters or entire game overhauls.

Other urls found in this thread:

warsworldnews.com/wp/hacks/andys-adventure-aw2-by-mark999/
dessyreqt.github.io/smrandomizer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any series in particular? I have pic related and I know of some Fire Emblem hacks.

saved, and anything goes. I like every genre out there.

What games are the top middle's ice and background from?

Any good FE hacks?

That looks surprisingly good.

Super Metroid Legacy
Super Metroid Redesign
Super Metroid Z-Factor

Any good Sonic Mania custom levels with new graphics?

Go check out Serene's Forest

A very well made FE7 mod/ It's got a lot of custom animations, and you get a pupper as a playable unit. Currently unfinished but I would still recommend it.
An interesting FE7 mod. It's somewhat difficult, but it's a lot of fun. Writing is ass though.
An FE7 mod that tells various stories of what happens to characters in-between FE7 and 6. It's alright, it has interesting stories, and you can even choose which characters supported each-other if you care about that. I didn't find it much fun, and if you're autistic about Elibe's lore then you probably won't care much for it, but it's still something I'd check out out of curiosity. It's "Unfinished", which means it's pretty much done save for a couple bugs (for example, Pent's story will sometimes be incompatible).
Quick disclosure before I shill this, I'm involved with this hack.
This is one of the first full story FE8 hacks, which are surprisingly rare. It's got some neat QoL features (visible stat growth, danger zone, options are automatically set to be fast), and it's got personal and class skills. I won't say much else because I have an obvious bias, but I suggest checking it out. If only so you can shit on it, we take any criticism we can get.

Fuck's sake, user.

And how could I forget
Word's cannot describe this piece of shit. It's honestly something that needs to be seen to be believed. I recommend playing it before anything else, the only thing I'll tell you is

Are there any good Castlevania or fighting game rom hacks?

Castlevania romhack with a more atmospheric colour palette. Looks pretty as hell. Also reduces visibility and makes the game pretty annoying to actually play. Oh well.

you weren't kidding about that atmosphere though.

Not technically romhacks but Half-Life mods are basically the same thing (brand new campaigns for existing games).

Visitors, Black Ops, Azure Sheep and Point of View are my personal recommendations, they feel like DLC's in the way that Blue Shift and OpFor did, running alongside the main game. There's also some total conversion mods out there like Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters, but they are pretty iffy as they toy with the Half-Life formula.

Is that the romhack with His World?

This romhack makes me realise I am not good at Mario 64.

The very same

Saved, but

I agree it's retarded, at the very least what I get from it is that they're all good?

Any good Megaman romhacks?

Rockman No Constancy hack of Rockman 2 (japanese Mega Man 2). Very hard, but not bullshit. Levels are designed well and look good. New/modified bosses and weapons. If you like Roll there are hacks to make her playable in the NES games, and even some romhacks including No Constancy.

Check out Rockman 4 minus infinite. It's got a bunch of crazy new shit. Powers, stages, music, etc. It's hard yeah, but it only goes full Kaizo at the very end.
There's another hack who's name escapes me at the moment, it had Kamen Rider and Bomberman as bosses. The stages were kind of shit at times, but it was fun overall.

warsworldnews.com/wp/hacks/andys-adventure-aw2-by-mark999/
Crossposting this from the AW thread since it's relevant.

Not hard.

Dragoon X Omega II
Attak Heli-Merio
The Legend of Iowa
SMW: Chaos Complexx

user, you could just build a piece of artillery instead of an entire boat, and its clearly just a joke based off that one campaign level.

A boat can move around instead of being a static target and cannot be taken by a direct assault as easily. A ship in the middle of a lake can also re-orient ordinance to different areas of the invading force and commit to multiple fire missions at once.

A ship is also substantially more expensive and requires many more people to man it. And its a god damn lake. How far can it really re-orient?

So in other words you don't know what a battleship is, got it

You clearly don't yourself. You obviously have no idea what they are used for.

Lakes can be quite large user, just like Lake Michigan.

A cannon battery can re-orient much, much faster and can also conduct simultaneous missions. It can also displace over land to either prevent its capture or change its engagement range. So you don't know what artillery is either. "Static" is the last thing I would use to describe it, artillery has had a focus on strategic mobility for over two hundred years. Why pretend to have wisdom about concepts which are foreign to you?

You're not really doubling down on your uninformed rambling are you? I'll just assume you're baiting.

A cannon battery of the size and class found on a battleship is much too large to be moved quickly, if even at all. The turrets such s those found at the Maginot Line for instance were too big to be moved and were therefore a static defense. On a battleship however they can be displaced.

So you're serious. It doesn't matter the size or "class" of the gun, what matters is range and ease of re-supply. Interdicting fires can control the movements of enemy forces to allow decisive counter-maneuver; that doesn't require a big gun. Even the smallest proper artillery being fielded today is sufficient to destroy or suppress mobile enemy forces, and history has taught us that mobile light and medium cannons have objectively superior strategic value. This is why all modern armies are phasing out 203mm+ artillery if they haven't already. Battleships have been phased out too, oddly enough, because they are not cost-effective. Your first post where you show that you think a battleship can be built in a lake with no pre-existing naval facilities (the type that take years to build), moved over land with logs (holy shit), or fucking disassembled and reassembled in any sensible length of time, shows you never knew what you were saying in the first place. And yet you keep pretending.

Die.

Also the ship is wooden and all of these things have been done with wooden ships

Maybe so but not with something anywhere near even a tenth the size, manning, cost, armament, and complexity of a battleship. It's not sustainable anyway, battleships actually require frequent re-supply, contrary to common assumption. And every cart of grain costs at least another cart to deliver, so to speak.

Also, even the most plebeian armchair general knows that static defense is dead, and for good reason. Even an armchair cadet knows that defense in depth is superior, as basic as it is.

I genuinely hope you're not typing out a reply because I won't have the chance to read it. While I still disagree I'm glad we talked and I hope you have a chill day.

Sage for homo

dessyreqt.github.io/smrandomizer/

Randomizers are so fun. The amount of enjoyment I've gotten out of the Pokemon and Dark Souls randomizer is something a procedurally generated game will never achieve.

The whole joke is that in the Hard Campaign of AW2 Flak, the dumbest CO, even lower than Andy in IQ, somehow thinks that putting a Battleship in a small pond is a brilliant strategy for protecting their Neotank plans. Though it actually ends up being ingenious because it practically prevents players from routing BH too easily and it's even hidden by a reef, so you have to have at least an unit next to it.

So how hard is it exactly to make romhacks? Are there any resources for doing that?

I believe that females need to be stopped.

Games that have some kind of infinite procedural generation twist after beating the main game (like in F-Zero X it would generate random courses for you) are great.
I am yet to see a game officially do item randomisation though.

Lot's of RPG's have random item drops, but its not the same as pre-designating items of power and scattering them behind tough challenges.

this supposedly inspired MVC's gameplay.

Yeah, the normal random loot systems are shit, I hate the Diablo style grind, but putting interesting pre-built weapons in fun places, and then switching those places, would be interesting and fun and force you to change up your playstyle if you got some OP thing that you've never used before. Especially if you've got the randomised character build to make it interesting.

It varies by community. Which game do you want to work on?

You can alter sprites very easily. There are tools you can download for it. Making new levels, I have no idea.

For Sonic I definetly recommend Sonic 3 Complete, Megamix and Metal Sonic Hyperdrive. But the one thing that peeves me about the rom hacking scene is that I don't see any with Kirby? What gives?

I love the improvement hacks which change shitty things about otherwise good games.

Isn't there an improved Castlevania 2 rom?

You can't build on perfection.

Read a lot of SonicRetro and technical manuals. Learn to use a debugger and hex editor.

I don't want this thread to die. It's already recommended me a bunch of good stuff.

This is fun and has original levels. There's also SFACTOR which is really difficult.

Are there any good romhacks?

Lot's. In this thread.
And Alex the Kidd in Miracle Land 2

no buts,it's retarded;plus the fag that made it had the temerity to proclaim his dick suckling skills to the world by namefaging in the top corner.The only place this list belongs is in the trash

This is a good thread.

Jesus christ you're autistic

Like the other user said, rainbow edition and other sf2 romhacks helped shape what the later marvel/xmen vs games would become. There are a few others like the various kof romhacks. There's at least one that turns kof into a tag in/tag out fight system like the vs games. I've personally only ever played one of the various rainbow editions that was at my old local arcade and a hack of Snk Vs Capcom that allowed you to pick the boss characters.

This shit right here. Adds some nice twists to the game as well as adding challenge. Too bad the re-fights are unstable and really easy, though.

Shilling for Hyper Metroid and Metroid Zero Dawn. Both have retarded as fuck stories, but are very well made and fun as hell

Halfchan's /vr/ had an user making a NES Kirby Romhack called "Kirby's Bizarre Adventure". It was quite original since it takes away Kirby's floating ability, putting more emphasis on actual platforming and use of powers to progress.

Sfactor's difficulty comes from bullshit level design, though. Things like spikes hidden behind level decoration or just off-screen at the top of a jump you need to make.

Advance Wars
JJBA HttF
Older Total War games (but I would be intrigued in what could be done with Empire/Napoleon)
A bunch of Gamecube and Wii games
Vintage TF2

You know, we really just need a new chart for SMW romhacks. So many new ones have come out, including remakes of ones on that chart, that it's rather outdated.

The original programmer of Sonic 3D Blast (and founder of Traveller's Tales) is making a
Director's Cut that includes the following:
Done so far:

The re-releases with additional features may as well be romhacks.

Yes, Hyper Metroid is a must play. Why is that an issue?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity.
It completely surpasses any other official Megaman game, and I don't mean just the classic series.

Ever wanted to ride in a Joe vehicle? Ever wanted to see a Megaman game with secret robot masters? Ever wanted to get multiple weapons in a single stage?

Nocturne Hardtype is pretty good.

Bumping with some great Metroid: Rogue Dawn Music

Most older hacks only work with ZSNES, like Brutal Mario. Newer versions of SNES9X should now work in 95% of cases, though

He really shouldn't have messed with the music.

That sounds fucking beautiful. I might literally cry.

Bad hacks only work with ZSNES because they're programmed wrong. None of them deserve to be on any list of worthwhile romhacks.

Still looks better than mn9. Also pleasantly suprised how well megalovania fits mega man.

I really understand how you feel about those hacks (I kinda think the same), but it's kinda silly to say "Brutal Mario is not a worth at least a look". Fortunately SNES9X can play 95% of hacks without issue. Of course making a hack in CURRENT YEAR +2 that's not compatible with at least decent emulators is not excusable at all.

Bumping with more great Metroid Rogue Dawn Music

He just likes fucking around I guess. Besides, what games deserve revisits more than the shit ones?

user actually did the work organizing them. Fucking right he should put his name on it. Goddam millennials, swear to Christ…

I agree putting Legendary last was pands-on-head, but otherwise good list.

Is there a Donkey Kong Country 2 hack that lets you play as the big DK himself? I can't find one anywhere and I need one desperately.

Team Carry and Team Throw would be awkward if Dixie's carrying Donkey in that hack

Oh, that's cool.

sage:meta

Are you actually surprised that someone would hate attaching identity to something on an anonymous imageboard, a place that revolves around anonymity. There are plenty of other places on the internet where you can clamber for fame, this should not be your choice for that.

The irony being that everyone today feels like their work is worth recognition.

I'm not trying to detract from their creation, but you have to understand the context, where we are right now and the values of this collective yet anonymous community.

Update

user please promptly kill yourself you gba fags are cancer to the fire emblem community and the fact your hacks are giving people like mangs more content makes me so angry.
t.BlazingKnight