Metro Thread

Thoughts on Metro 2033 and Last Light? What made the games good and what areas could the developers have improved on?

Also, thoughts on Exodus? Thank God the original developers are working on it.

They're ok. Basically linear stalker with severely less equipment options. I don't have particularly fond memories of playing them, but they weren't bad.
There's a new one?

Perfect timing on this thread OP, I just finished 2033 and will start Last Light soon, playing the redux versions. Metro 2033 was really short, beat it in less than 7 hours on my first playthrough and got most of the journal notes. Kinda disappointed.

But one thing I want to know is How did they know where to point the missile at? They make it seem like the Dark Ones are pure mystery then at the end they know exactly where their home is and blow it up

Hell, you get the bad ending if you aren't a good goy and give all of your shit away whenever asked, avoid human combat (which is the only fun part of the game), and touch a bunch of arbitrary triggers.

But the "bad" ending is really the good ending anyway, and is canon, so who cares?

you played the worst 2033 version, pirate the original, user!

Yep, Xbone and Win10 Exclusive*
*Until it eventually comes out on Steam.

They're pretty much trying to marry STALKER and Metro is what I gathered from the cinematic trailer they showed last E3. Emphasis on cinematic.

I feel so bad for this series. It seems to just get progressively worse as time has gone on.

you can just break the laser designator after setting it up.

It will be linear as fuck. Pretty sure you won't be able to go around as you please like in stalker.
Also, I can't be the only one who thinks the metro universe is really dull in comparison to stalker.

But it was always "cinematic" and "story focused", user. You can't go 20 minutes without having to stand around listening to npcs.

I really like a lot of stuff about the Metro universe but definitely agree that Stalker has more going for it overall. But I have a major bias towards settings like the zone where it's something of a post-apocalypse in its own bubble reacting to the invasion of an otherwise normal modern world rather than planet-wide destruction.

Just going off the games of both series though, they both have huge untapped potential with how much fascinating and horrific shit is hinted at but never shown in the games.

technically if strelok didn't shut down c-consciousness, the zone would've spread world wide.

Linear as fuck but still somewhat enjoyable. Good thing the bad end is cannon or I would feel bad killing those fags.

2033 was cool as hell. kinda like a COD-ified STALKER but i still had a great time. Last Light and the Redux fucking sucked dick and really pissed me off

It's one of the only franchises that lets you kill both Nazis and Commies in the same game.

Only if you have enough GBP. It's nice that they let you get the bad ending, even if you earned the good one.
because the bad one is canon, but, in the second game, the good one is canon, and obtaining it is a lot easier

Ahh man I figured the redux would be improved on the original, less bugs better graphics ect. What's different about them?

nice trips tho

and some other shit i cant remember, play the original and you can go with redux in last light because it doesnt change much

The original is far less optimized and graphically intensive, but looks better if you can run it with high-end settings. There's also the very subjective part about aesthetics because redux uses the designs from Last Light where there was tons of redesigns of mutants and human clothing/armor/equipment.

Stealth is very challenging to the point of being borderline broken. It demands perfection from the player and there is almost no way to recover and continue to operate stealthily within the confines of a level if you fuck up. This makes it extremely rewarding if you do pull it off however, and manages to be more compelling than the retarded light/dark system that makes the AI in LL/Redux look like a bunch of blind and deaf retards.

The gunplay is more 'clunky' not so much in that it controls badly though, many argue that it adds the context of Artyom as a character not really having much in the way of firearms training and experience. Also the 'Ranger' difficulty modes are actually well balanced and greatly enhance the gameplay instead of being frustrating like in LL/Redux where there are HUD elements permanently disabled without any logical substitute to be aware of what throwable item you have equipped or checking your ammo supply.

Last Light, while fine, felt like an unneccessary sequel. I'm not sure I care to play another one. It's kind of a one game sort of concept.

Some of the extra missions are pretty fun. One has you making runs up to the surface for loot, coming back down, getting dosh, and heading back up again. You can bring a box of lightbulbs with you each time and light up your environment. There are lots of enemies and it is intense! The NPC's even call you Stalker. Its pretty good, m8.