FPS vs TPS

Are all FPS inevitably gravitating towards the movie™ experience due to being more "immersive"?
Is TPS the true way to play games?

TPS is superior for story-telling. You see your character in-game and whenever a cutscene occurs, it seems perfectly normal for you to see things in third person.
In FPS games however, if the cutscenes are in third person, then every time a cutscene occurs, it will break your immersion. You were just viewing the world from the eyes of a character. How and why can you see things from a flying camera now?

The only way for FPS to be decent at storytelling is to either tell a story through gameplay, or to go the Call of Duty way. The CoD way however sucks, unless the director is truly skilled.
So at the end of the day, it's really up to the devs to decide what's best for their own vidya. It has to do with what kind of story they want to tell and how much skill they have. A TPS game will require a lot more animations than a FPS one. FPS games are a lot cheaper to produce.
They're perfect for vidya in general. FPS are better for making you more immersed.

ITT: retarded opinions

What, are you retarded? Almost every movie game is a tps, not a fps.

I like TPS games, but only if the hero is centered in the screen. I hate HATE HATEHATEHATE off-center / over-the-shoulder cameras. Can't stand that bullshit.

I just wish we could get a third person metroid, but naaaaaah, FPS is soooo much better.
Don't you love being confused and having really clunky controls?

you ever played counter strike or unreal tournament?
tps is gay. Tps is only ever good in games with lewd characters.

first person shooters are inherently cancerous, and third person shooters at least have the potential to be better.

It's nice when TPS games have the ability to switch to FPS like Hitman Blood Money. The big downside of TPS for me is corner peeking. So if it's online, I'd rather FPS. Overall I've had better times with single player TPS games though (RDR, Max Payne, Hitman games, the good Tomb Raiders, Winback, the good Resident Evils, GTAs, Just Cause 2, Mafia 2)

go die already old man, your input is unnecessary.

Listen here you ungrateful little shit, if it wasn't for our input in games like these, you wouldn't even have anything that could have even been called "competitive" or "action focused" in both genres.

Is that supposed to be a positive thing?

2d platforms is still the true way to play games. Anything else is secondary.

Would you rather have liked that every FPS game was just a rehash of some shitty point'n click game? We're lucky that we even have guns in them nowadays with all the media scare back then, heck look at all the walking simulators that have been coming out since '07, you gonna say that's better than something with actual remeedable gameplay?

I honestly got tired of shooting random things after Quake so this doesn't really mean much for me.

agreed, old fags are to blame. time to retire shooters.

marathon is very bad, at least post doom or powerslave.

what is this? Cuck/v/? "oldfags" as you put it did not support games like mw2 which caused the downfall of modern games.

This is either a bored shitposter or a retard.

Powerslave doesn't have radical aliens in space'nam with napalm trowers or dual-wielding double barrel lever-action shotguns. The best that it has is the egyptian aesthetic and a wonderful M240 to shoot anubis in the ass with.
Doom is better though, at least i can agree with that.

shouldn't you be hyping up the next arena shooter clone like toxikk or whatever? another game 24 people will buy, 16 people will play, and will leave the game to die in 2 weeks. this is a dead song and dance, old man.

powerslave has good level design unlike marathon, and weapons that don't feel like shit

Why would I do that? TFC, cs, and ut still have a active community, why would I support a bad ut clone?

I was honestly bored out of my mind by the time i reached Ep.2 because every engagement was the same once you got a gun and grenades because of the low enemy variance and the terrible controls. Granted, the latter was solved with ports like Ex-humed, but even then the level design wasn't that much different from Marathon 2 which had room-over-room and pararel areas inside eachother. Marathon 1 did have terrible level design with the lift puzzles, but they redeemed themselves with the Alien Ship levels, M2 and MI.

As for the weapons, are you sure you even played marathon?

Did you play all the Marathon games or only M1? M1 is recognized even among fans of the games as having very claustrophobic levels. Marathon 2 has much better levels that are less suffocating, with Infinity being a bit of a mixed bag but leaning towards having better levels, and the final level in the game is amazing. If you check the Aleph One site there are also 6 featured fan-made scenarios that are pretty top notch.

Overall though Marathon's levels are usually bigger than Doom's and easier to get lost in. Powerslave was quite linear and easy to find your way, though it was still fun, I loved that ring weapon that unleashed tons of tiny bouncing explosives.

Did you play Powerslave-Ex? The guy who made it included a hard-mode toggle that made that made enemies move and attack faster (not sure if it made them tougher but I don't think it did) which made the game more challenging. I'd probably have gotten bored trying to play it on regular too.

TPS was first to go "cinematic" so your claim is bullshit. Examples: Gears of War, Uncharted, and Asscreed.

It makes it easier for an animator to animate scenes, but that's about it. Breaking immersion rarely happens because people aren't so retarded to not know what their character looks like (usually because it's plastered right on the box). Also, especially in recent years (since COD4) animations have become good enough where they can be effectively viewed from a first-person angle.

Din't know about this. I'm totally gonna spend the evening playing through it again, i had a huge gripe with enemies being too easy to circlestrafe and gundown, even in the trapped and encircled areas.

well once you get past the botted up fake RU servers, sure.

yes, I played 1 and durandal, dropped infinity because the series of games is way too boring to play one after the other. Never had the interest to go back and try it. Like many """"""""""""""""classic""""""""""""" pc games, it's just not very good.

1 + 2, beat 'em both and wasn't impressed. Writing in Durandal was nice, but the levels sure were boring. The levels are bigger than Doom's, but Doom's levels are actually well paced and enjoyably challenging. Poweslave is best played on the saturn, its difficulty isn't tuned for mouse input.

ass creed isn't a TPS, and call of duty predates all of those games.

it might as well be, even if there are no guns

So is dark souls a TPS too?

Too much tactical can get boring.

Third-person is an objectively superior perspective for action because you can intuitively discern collision zones. It's high time someone took the entire FPS genre out back and put it out of its misery.

sounds like you are bad at fps games. This is part of the risk and reward system, you can't look without putting yourself in danger. This is where guessing and predicting comes in.

Unreal Tournament and other fps games wouldn't be this much fun if they were third person games. Also, third person is cancer for bhopping.

First person games are limited in the amount and variety of cosmetics that can be sold. Dumb consumers want to dress up their character like barbie and look at it. So AAA is always going to lean TPS, unless it's an existing franchise like DOOM or CS.

Autism.

I'm sorry but I actually want to see what I am shooting.

What the hell is that thing?

and even then they try to push it as far as possible. In cs:go you can buy fucking gloves for your character. I mean how retarded is that? Paying like what, $200 for a digital glove?

But seriously, tps has it's benefits. I don't know about you guys, but I tried to get into game design with some friends. Just imagine this, you model a hot girl. She is very lewd and cute at the same time. But since your game is in first person you never see her. But third person fucks up the aiming and platforming. This is the one reason why I took a break from this shit.

If that's not your thing, you can always trade your car for a packet of shitty meme sauce from McDonald's.

yeah… I remember those webm's… how fucking empty must your life be if find the time to wait hours (or was it days) waiting in line for a fucking sauce that most likely doesn't even taste good.

Only if the movie is Hardcore Henry.
Every TPS recently released is a movie game.

That exists for a reason.
The practice is fucking brilliant, the target audience are the retarded.

Kino/10