Military branches in video games

Holla Forums Why do game Devs have a big boner for Marines?
halo.wikia.com/wiki/UNSC_Marine_Corps

half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Hazardous_Environment_Combat_Unit

callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps

battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_badges_(United_States)#United_States_Marine_Corps
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because these games are made by America and therefore like to use American military?

What kind of dumb question is that.

That doesn't answer his question, dumb fuck.
Why is it specifically the marines?

I suppose because marines are considered more mobile than a regular army and thus quicker to a fight?
Or maybe they think "marine" sounds cool.

Because every ten-year-old wants to be a MUH-REEN HOO-RAH

Because game devs are mostly a bunch of pussies and they think the Marines are the military's best trained forces. It also sounds cool to kids.

Because the marines are top-of-the-line badasses compared to regular army soldiers?

What a pointless thread OP.

Special Forces are the best trained, and there's a bunch of games made about them as well.

Because Marines get shit done.

Because of all the branches, the Marines have the best PR department.

the army is for retards, the airforce is for autists, the navy is for cowards and thus the marines are the only soldiers that aren't intolerable

This might be true considering most military people consider marines as the dumbest branch. Including a lot of marines themselves.

Marines don’t call themselves soldiers

lol, game about the army
tags on steam include

2/10 "i didnt even see a gun in the game until the very end when that one iraqi guy accidentally turned his car towards the general direction of the base" -Gamestop

Because they are the "default ground troop" for large scale warfare.
You make a game about the Navy and it's a game about boats, not shooting guns.
You make a game about the Airforce and it's a game about piloting planes, not shooting guns.
You make a game about the SpecOps or Commandos and it's a game about shooting gu- TRICK ANSWER! It's actually about sneaking around.

And guess what? The userbase for these kind of games tends to be a retard that just wants to shoot guns, so the Devs only make games about shooting guns and this has gotten to a point where that's all they know how to do and as far as the playerbase is concerned, that's all they believe they want.

Sounds like an army simulator. Does it also simulate having a slipped disk in your back and breaking your foot and going to the doctor three times before they fix it due to ruck marches?

I never understood this, is this just from horrible form on the soldier's part or are those marches really that fucked up for your body? And if the latter, why not do something so that your personnel won't cripple themselves?

Ooh Rah, not Hoo rah

Well user you march 5km with a 60 pound backpack and rifle for years and see if your body isn't all fucked up by the end of it.

What are you, an homosexual gay faggot queer princess? Get back on your feet and march, soldier!
Long marches build character, and the enemy won't wait for you to have your tea break before they resume chasing you!
You want good medical care, you keep running now or you're gonna eat Paki hospital food. AND THAT'S CODE FOR BULLETS!

But no seriously, a lot of drill instructors are shit heads that push their soldiers way further than they should and they give no fucks. To them, if you can't complete the "basic" exercizes they put you through, you'd die in a war anyway.

Funny anecdote: I got actual, literal trench foot during basic training.
It's not as pleasant as one might think.
Also turns out, marching through a shallow stream and not being allowed to change into dry socks isn't so good for your feet.

Did you keep your feet?

Well, yes

In a jar.

You are talking like as if human life, especially one that willing signed up for that kind of shit, has any value whatsoever.

death squad game when

v.mod 3.0 for Joint Ops.

I thought it is the submariners who are composed of autists, while the chairforce are filled with lazy, know-it-all smartasses

As much as I wanted to make a joke about this, I would rather just say that regardless of commercial people are going to join the Marines regardless of what's thrown on TV.

That being said
It's no wonder our LTs are so lost in the sauce, they were so worried about the fight they forgot to learn the important things like Land Nav and not to piss Sgts off.

Because they're the only branch of the United States military that's relevant.

Any form of physical training or activity will increase the likelihood of sustaining injury over time. On the other hand, not performing physical training will make a fighting force less capable when the time comes to actually perform their duties. To compound the issue, every person will have their own level of ability and susceptibility to different kinds of injury based on previous lifestyle and genetics. Performing training that will fuck up some soldiers long-term is part of a military's cost/benefit tradeoff - lose some soldiers due to injuries sustained during training (and then assign those soldiers to rear deployment or desk duties) so that the ones which weren't fucked up would be a more capable fighting force (up until the point stress on the body compounds sufficiently over time, at which point they can get medboarded out or retire). Of course, certain soldiers are winners of the genetic lottery and never have an issue from the same type of training that ends the careers of others.

Because the marines can go anywhere

Lol stop pretending it's all part of some plan. Military intelligence is an oxymoron.

This has to be one of the most inept and ill equipped paramilitary forces in all of video games.

The BSAA act more like a fucking army unit than they do a counter-bioterror group. None of their operatives wear gas masks or have access to hazard suits. The best they have is maybe a ski-mask which wouldn't protect you at all.

I mean jesus even the HECU have gas masks and in canon their combat vests protect against chemical/biological/radioactive threats.

That tends to be the case when you're designed by japs.

Ironically the only people in the series who actually are prepared for biological outbreaks are Umbrella. Since their security service actually wear gas masks and hazard suits.

Although they did ended up showing dudes in gas masks at the end of RE7

I think the marines stormed Normandy or some battle pivotal to saving the jew. If you have no creativity and want funding, best bets are an anti-nazi, pro-marines storylines, or Joe Lewis Boxing.

Marines only fought in the pacific

marines are the best soldiers in the USA ergo their the best soldiers in the world

While I do have a healthy suspicion of jews, I think this is one case where it's really just that the "marines are the biggest badasses ever" meme has a lot of traction and allows you to set the player in a greater variety of situations.

this

Only the Army fought in Europe. Marines were in the pacific.

Pacific theater World War 2 is why. The marines are the patriotic useful idiots that you send in first to waste the enemies ammunition. So as a result they see much more action than for example the Navy or are more exciting than the often boring mechanized infantry focused Army. Doesn't make up for the fact that the marines are the special ed of our armed services.

Say you are in charge of our armed forces and you assign them the task of getting passed a wall.

Ask the army: "Simple, we will climb over it or walk around it"

Ask the navy: "What? A coral reef? There are no walls in the ocean."

Ask the airforce: "Last time I checked there are no walls in the sky, either."

If you have the unfortunate task of asking the marines: "Hurr durr we run in the direction of our problems! CHARGE THE WALL! SEMPERFI
HOOOOOORAH!!!"

It doesn't take a genius to figure out who's going to overcome the wall or whos gonna get a concussion trying to headbutt through it. If it sounds retarded, it was probably the Marine Corp.

>You can play as the BOPE in R6:Siege

Actually it would be a game about maintaining the air conditioning units of nuclear missile silos, repairing the F-35, and doing paperwork. Well according to my Air Force friends anyway.

Elite Squad is an amazing film.

I know, i actually enjoy siege despite ubisoft having its grubby paws on it. I give it credit for using special forces/police like BOPE in it too along with the regular choices like SAS and spetsnaz

Marines are usually the tip of the ground war spear. That's why.

Army's actually better equipped and funded.

lol

Well the top one makes a bit of sense, Marines usually do alot of amphibious combat that I guess the same could definitely be applied for space aswell.

Six year old you was smart enough to be a marine already user.

It might have something to do with the greatest fictional early badasses all being marines.

literally who?
-t. not a burger

Even umbrella security service guys wore masks

What were you hoping for, OP? Chair Force Simulator 2: Cushions of Mass Construction?

They're like the National Guard but for water.

Any country with any shoreline has a coast guard. So either you live in a country with no shoreline or your country is lacking / your knowledge of your country is lacking.

It's worth noting that the various branches will coordinate their enlistment commercials to push people to one side of the other. For example, if the Marines has an excess of recruits and the Air Force is suffering a dip, they may put out a spot on TV that actively tries to dissuade people from joining the Marines by focusing on how tough, difficult and strenuous life is in the Marine Corp, while the Air Force may put out a commercial highlighting career prospects, the ability to better yourself, getting to go to exotic places etc.

Sometimes, shitty recruitment advertisements are shitty on purpose.

Marines have a tendency, at least in the US and UK, to serve as essentially shock troops in campaigns around the world. This is due to the obvious reason of the navy being a prime delivery mechanism for material and manpower in many cases because of a geography.
So having them as the main characters/units you play as in games makes sense since they logically would be amongst the first boots on the ground in most scenarios.

Or it's because devs are lazy faggots and marine sounds cooler then soldier to them.

False.

Marines are over-the-top boasters for what amounts to average performances at best.

I begin boot camp in 2 weeks for the army, my mos is 18x, does anyone have any tips or vidya suggestions I can indulge myself in before my five year contract?

Play spec ops the line

Because Marines have the reputation for being the HARDCORE BADASSES that do THE HARDEST AND DIRTIEST WORK in the name of AMERICA

Play this

The USMC are typically the best shooters of all branches' infantry. All Marines are trained as rifleman (expert) or higher (sharpshoorter, and marksman). Including POGs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_badges_(United_States)#United_States_Marine_Corps

Pretty hard, if not impossible, to out-shoot the US Marines.

I think that answer should be obvious.

Better questions
What are the best MilSim games that are not Multiplayer focused (IE ArmA)

Marine here.

It's because the USMC has had a giant cult of personality since WWI, and congress tries to downsize or eliminate the marines every so often. Therefore, the corps uses its funding to pay companies to advertise their shit and get more fellow idiots to enlist instead of paying me my fucking linguist pay or getting new equipment that isn't from Vietnam

Nice job going into the Marines to be a linguist instead of any other branch. It sucks anyways

Now I'm curious. Which country that has a coast has decided to leave it totally unguarded?

Maybe the Marine Corps specifically sponsors games? The requirements to get into Marines is lower than other military branches from what I've been told (non-US fag), so it makes sense to hype them up a little to a less-than-intelligent audience.

this

the majority of army infantry hold posts, rangers are pretty well represented in games also

the majority of navy station ships and ports for carriers for air force

the majority of coast guard are guarding the US coast

the majority of air force are R&D, US military PR, staff for facilities holding DOD, support for air craft, air crew for air craft that carry other branches, air crew for air craft that carry supplies, and there's a 0.5% that is either pilots or UAV pilots (and I don't think it would make an interesting game to sit down at a console at creech AFB and see the whole game through infa-red 'till your shift is up and some other UAV pilot takes over your console and you go get your groceries, again at the BX on creech)

the marines is a majority of actual infantry that move and do stuff (which is absolutely not to say that the other branches' work isn't worthwhile, without those motherfuckers chilling at creech you'd have a lot fewer marines)

You'reforgetting an option the coast guard is part of a bigger organization

thats the fault of your squad leader then. he should take care of his soldiers (or teach them why its important to keep their feet dry if possible), even when its basic training

Australia doesn't need a coast guard. The coast guards itself.

the Coast Guard in Canada isn't a military force, nor is it there to protect canada – it's basically just maritime police and a SAR service. The role of actual coast-guarding falls to the RCN.

United Kingdom scrapped all their Maritime Patrol aircraft 6 years ago and are only recently getting replacements.

Also a bit of mountaineering, scouting, reconnaissance, and setting up and maintaining tools in the air force base. They do not go for a straight up fight, just do those and be done and gtfo asap.

most military service is incredibly boring.

Even in the US with its inordinately large and overly active force, something like 90% of service members never, ever fire a shot in anger their entire career.

What's odd to me is they always make MUHREENZ go where they don't really belong, and don't use the Army instead for land forces.

Like, why are MUHREENS always in space? Why do they go to landlocked countries*? Why are they always represented as both LE TIP OF LE SPEAR but also as the sustaining world police forces in places like 2010 Iraq and Afghanistan?

*yeah i know theyre glorified infantry and go wherever but still

there's an Onion piece along these lines but it's old so it's more about spending hours on patrol only to be told you went to the wrong place and having to go back home, and repairing humvees for 8 hours a day. I think it also made mention of a basketball minigame.

Because space is treated like the sea. If you're going to have star ==ships== you also get star ==marines==