Woops! Bungie forgot their last Destiny 1 expansion happened and made it none canon in Destiny 2

Woops! Bungie forgot their last Destiny 1 expansion happened and made it none canon in Destiny 2

So they sold a year long expansion and forgot to make it canon, effectively telling players it was a waste of money. Has a dev ever made this specific blunder before?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/AXWyy
marathon.bungie.org/story/
archive.fo/w4f62
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do you fuck up the lore of a two-game franchise?

You bleed most of your talent to Microsoft meddling and submit your company getting split in half only to get fucked worse because without microsoft bucks backing you up you can't afford your ludicrous demands.
Same as virtually all "Xbox Exclusives"

Oh its been a fascinating trainwreck to watch. The whole 'darkness' shit from D1? not canon and never happened because the term 'darkness' is racist in the new marxist order.

Oh and bonus now they have to be Actiblizz's bitch

and due to the contract they signed if they go a year without paid dlc they are all cut loose but the ip and all the assetts stay with activision.

Thanks for update.

You've gotta be shitting me.

Ask Bioware.

I am sensing something here

why are you blaming ms for bungie's fuckup? they crapped together halo 2 in 3 months after basically not working on it for 2 years

They consider the Exo Stranger story finished too, a closed loop.

half-true, they are removing the term Darkness because nobody at Bungie took the time to think about what it really was. They just threw the term in there in Destiny 1 because it sounded cool and edgy but in Destiny 2 they forgot about it.

Oh boy, a thread where I can finally shit on Destiny 2.
But that's actually a good thing here. Crucible picks the map and mode randomly, so you constantly get put in the shit modes. At least with Iron Banner you're always going to play the control point mode. Iron Banner is just the non-shit Crucible now.
They decided Destiny 2 was going to be an eSport, so they gutted anything deemed "unbalanced". The result is that every fucking team has shitters using the exact same loadout. The current meta is to bunch together and plink anything that moves to death with the MIDA Multitool. It's as boring as it sounds.
The game consists of logging in on Tuesday, doing all your stuff on Tuesday, and leaving it until Saturday to get disappointed by Xur's drops. There is no endgame. There is no reason to be above power level 280. Anything you do gets you rewarded with shitty tokens that you cash in for the chance to get something. The game is shit.

Unfortunately it's the worst kind of shit, where there are some good ideas buried in the bottom of the shitpile. The guns feel good, and some guns have really clever ideas behind them. Some bits of lore sound cool, but are never properly used. The levels look great but they're empty stretches of nothing that you'll skip over after seeing once. The whole idea of the Guardians being fucked over by losing their light could have been interesting, but it's only used for 3 short segments near the start where the game promises that if you die you won't be resurrected. If you somehow die you just wake up at the beginning of the segment. The setpieces are well done, and the music is great, but when you have to replay the same mission repeatedly they get old fast.

I have scoured the game for fun, and pics related are the only things I actually enjoyed. Everything else is disappointing. 2/10, because at least the game isn't in early access.

What the ever-loving fuck. That was supposed to be a critical part of what story they actually left in the game. That is pathetic beyond words.

I was under the impression there would be some kind of reveal about it - that it was an effect of the Hive not unlike the Tyranid's "Shadow across the Warp" in WH40K. Guess that, like everything else, was all marketing.

Truly a trainwreck beyond anything I've heard of happening before. As some user previously said, somebody would make a lot of money writing a book about what the fuck actually went on, or, at the very least, would enshrine themselves in internet fame by violating NDA and posting anonymously online about what happened.

Rise of Iron is canon, it's just not acknowledged in IB because IB is buggy rushed bullshit (Saladin also gets the player's class wrong in his match announcements). Other characters acknowledge it in the opening missions of the game if you completed it.

Don't forget the super cringy dialogues, Cayde is the worst but they are all badly written. Also I sure hope I wasn't supposed to like that Vanguard diversity hire, Suraya Hawthorne because I hate her more than Cayde.

Destiny didn't even have different gravity on different planets. I don't give a fuck about lore but when Gearbox is shitting out better gameplay it's time to retire.

wow, destiny 2 is shit?
what a shocker

Failsafe is the worst for that. Half her dialogue is passable, the other half with the shitty alter ego ruins any subtlety. It's taking Portal, recording some shitty instructions on what to do and lazily dubbing it over GlaDOS's lines.

Damn, this makes me glad that I never bought the first game after I rented it.

Because, MS bled EVERY one of their 3rd party friendlies back then dummy.
And it's well documented their fuck up and powergrab when it came to the Bungie 343i split

> "Heh… They really screwed this up didn't they guys…?"

I came here to scorn you.

That's "explained" by the travel terraforming to make all planets the same gravity some how.

All I know is that I watched one of those "Best of Giant Bomb" videos because I have massive shit taste or something and the assorted refuse were doing a destiny 2 raid. It looked like it was literally six hours of sitting in a little arena fighting the same enemies and doing an obstacle course around the outside to collect balls and fit them in holes. You're telling me the loot from those raids isn't even any good? Holy shoot.

The writer is the same person who wrote both Halo 4 and Ass Effect: Andromeda, go figure.

The raid is one of the better parts. If you have a team that can communicate it's pretty fun. The loot isn't bad, but you don't actually get loot. You get tokens that you trade in for a chance at good loot.

Is explaining shit gameplay with shit writing supposed to make me care about the writing?

Reminder, next week is the PC launch and most of the pre-orders are from Blizzdrones who won't have time to play the game because they already have time wasting shit to play from Blizztard.

Loot boxes again? Well shit.

I guess.
But these are two games. Two. If we were talking about Nihon Falcon and an inconsistency here and there in the Ys lore, I'd get it. Shit's long. Same with the Atelier series.
But Destiny? This is unacceptable and I don't even like that shit.

user, implied bestiality is still bestiality, spoiler that shit.

Firaxis did this with XCOM 2, and it was very intentional. They declared that XCOM 1 never happened in a shitty retcon just to make a grungy reboot. Their argument was that the game was so hard that everyone lost anyway, but it was one of the easiest strategy games I've ever played on maximum difficulty.

By making sequels out of contractual obligation and not because you want to

60 US DOLLARS FOR A FREE TO PLAY GAME

Why wouldn't they want to? It's basically a normalfag money printer.

Did you need a neon sign to figure this out?

Christ, it reminds me of No Man's Sky. Who the fuck thought a clean menu should have a thick, dirty vignette effect on it? Fuck.

Like what? I still haven't seen anything beat Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 3's guns.

The menus are shittier than they seem. When you move that cursor everything else in the UI shifts in the opposite direction.

The fun weapons in the Destiny games are the yellow ones, which are known as Exotic weapons ingame. They've got weird quirks to them that make them fun, but you can only use one exotic weapon in your loadout at a time. For the 4 I posted:
Fires a laser. Gets more powerful the more you point it at a target. Perfect accuracy whatever you're doing, because it's a lazer. If you can track bosses while dodging them you can do lots of damage
Kills with it reload your secondary weapon. You can gun away with the secondary, run out of ammo, and top it off with a quick headshot. There's a non-Exotic secondary pistol called Drang which can reload Sturm on kill, so you can shoot through large groups of enemies without reloading.
Enemies killed with Sunshot collapse and explode. Enemies killed by the explosion explode. There's a rifle version called the Graviton Lance, but since Bungie is shit at coding it's shots send dead enemies flying away from their group before they explode.
>The Wardcliff Coil Teased in D1 but not actually released until now
Fires a massive volley of rockets with slight tracking. Hits so hard they've already nerfed it, but it's still ridiculous. You have to know how to aim it and deal with the recoil, and you have to be close to your enemy, but nothing matches it in burst damage. Makes people mad in PvP.

Fun fact about that social area. When you beat the game you get D1's social area back, and all the vendors move there. Once you beat the game the only reason you'll ever need to go back to the farm is because that's where Drang is sold.

There is a reveal. Black pyramids versus white balls. I ain't even joking.

I remember seeing that 'tetrahedrons in space' art AGES ago, even before D1 was released even. Is it true that Bungie basically retconned darkness as being exactly those?

This thread brings me great joy at how shit D2 is.

Related.

You don't even have to do the raid to get loot. If you're in a good sized clan, once some of them complete the raid, everyone in the clan gets a free engram. The raid stuff is in the loot pool. Same goes for strikes, nightfall and trials. You can literally just log in once a week and get free shit without having to do anything.

How the hell do you terraform the gravity of a planet?

Ask Valve.

Its kind of a retcon but not really. Xur talked about the traveler having a "dark mirror" in D1, and the triangles were in concept art for a 5th race, so its not a complete asspull.

It probably went something like this. At first the darkness was just a catch all label for the clusterfuck of alien invaders, like "the covenant" but dumber because they weren't unified. Partway through development they realized how lame that was and decided to make the darkness an actual thing, but it was too late for a total overhaul so at launch its still mostly a generic label, with hints of something more stuffed in at the last minute. With Taken King, they establish the darkness as an actual character. With D2 they're giving that character a shootable face, and presumably a proper name at some point.

It's not really a surprise that they would casualize Destiny 2 and nerf the raids, especially when you know that only 19% of the D1 playerbase completed the first raid on Xbox One (I don't have the numbers for the PS4 version).
Also from what I've heard, there's no end game.

Congrats. You've officailly put more thought and logic into the plot of this shitshow than the developers.

Also what is up with the radical change in the art style? Whether it's an armour or a weapon, they all have that weird look, like if someone thought that a futuristic weapon should have an overly complicated design.

It's the shitty Whedon/sarcastic tone. From what I've seen, Cayde sounds like Nathan Fillion doing ad-libs. It could be funny if he wasn't doing this for years.

Is all of that game based on Muslim and Hindu religion/history?

Only Marathon matters.

Given how none of the main characters are hwite, yes.

Don't jinx it, they already have ideas.
archive.fo/AXWyy

Nigger, they make Marathon references in every bungie game. In Halo you play a reincarnated version of the cyborg you play as in Marathon, same corpse different personality. That ball thing in Destiny is literately a God from Pathways Into Darkness/Marathon. W'rkncacnter hes called or the Dreaming God.

marathon.bungie.org/story/ and archive.fo/w4f62

Also a little secret. Marathon Eternal X is made by Bungie themselves as a fourth chapter to Marathon they didn't really tell this however and made some amateur mistakes on purpose, like really shitty weapon sprites, though no one seems to care. That game is full of Destiny related things too way before Destiny came out. The first part of the game is called "Destiny".

welcome to gaming in current year.

Ask ArenaNet.

Increase mass

Wrong.

I just spent some time stalking the authors of those levels and none of them seem or were ever affiliated to Bungie at all

Would increasing mass not increase gravity?

You're talking about levels here. Some team member have email addresses on the Bungie domain. They worked together if anything.

There was no reason to play the first one.

They could've just made it so weapons overheat, but you have the option of ejecting the heatsink and loading a new one if you're in a pinch and can't wait for a cooldown.

Giving the player options is strictly off limits in a bio ware game

Wait what? So they pulled the bullshit "you kick the absolute shit out of the boss, and then it cuts to him standing over you like he won" garbage with the entire game? Glad i never played it.

They could also have put in a system that allowed you to spend heat-per shot on different aspects of the firearm. Faster firing rate, larger damage, more accurate, and any number of other aspects that let the player change things up on the fly. Have tons of heat sinks? Put your weapon on overdrive and burn through them, or if you're out dial it back so you can put out damage over a longer period with no risk of running out of ammo.

But, as another user said.

No

Destiny undersold? Was it a flop?

Isn't every Bungie game a rehash of Marathon with muh deepest epic lore?

Marathon had good writing at least. Also, fuck Bungie for shitting Halo after Halo and forgetting about Myth.

Mother fucker it gets worse. is on point with some of the information.

1 year before D1, 1 fucking year before release, there was a complete rewrite of Destiny 1, coincidentally around the same time as the lead writer's departure I think he had enough of Activision's shit. This was something like the third major rework of the entire concept of Destiny which, initially, was going to be more of a fantasy game hence the Hive enemies being straight up magic. What has leaked of the story was, basically, the giant whiteball the Traveler had tricked everyone and was source of collapse of the golden age. The Vex, the robot enemy faction, were supposed to be either the creators/servants of the Traveler and the final fight was supposed to be going into the traveler and killing its dark heart.

Some of the hasty lore they thrown together is kind of interesting, with some suggestion the Darkness and the Light are competing ideals of how reality should be structured. Light works toward harmony and cooperation while the Darkness is about competition and might necessary to impose will. Knowing their hack writers the Darkness will just be defeated/wiped out at some point instead of requiring a grand sacrifice, such as all Light being suppressed to cancel out the Darkness's influence

Something like $67 million less in pre-orders for the second one. The first one missed the 85 metacritic they needed to have Activision not crawl down their throats.

sage to keep the hate Holla Forums feels towards this game in check

Destiny 1 was shit too.

Warframe> Destiny

where the fuck are you going to get enough mass to make the Moon weigh the same as the fucking Earth, exactly? and would that not maybe have a negative effect on the Earth?
this is a bit like saying 'wouldn't a wizard be able to fix it with magic?'

no, Myth was a rehash of The Black Company novel series

The five players that bought the expansion and d2 must be very upset.