KOTOR

Man, I just started this and the writing is pretty terrible, from the very beggining you just get a character to do an exposition dump and the dialogue does not get any better once you get to the city.

your responses are either goody two shoes or shadow the hedgehog, Im honestly thinking of jumping to KOTOR 2

It's a fucking star wars game, and a western one at that, what did you expect?
Do you expect anything different from its sequel?
Are you retarded?

Because this game has not aged well and was very much a product of it's time. Replaying it CURRENT YEAR+2 you discover how overrated it actually was.

If you're looking for nuanced writing then you probably should skip to 2. KotOR is fun, but it's very cliche and typical Star Wars. I personally play it more for it's settings which are interesting enough, that and the RTwP DnD-based combat.

It was pretty awful compared to even Bioware's earlier works when it came out. Honestly the whole static talking heads system they popularized makes any sort of good writing moot as dialogue needs stage direction and dynamics to work.

KOTOR is alright, but it's pretty silly most of the time. KOTOR 2 is significantly better, but you'll still appreciate it more if you played the first game.

Yeah, this was the very first sing of how bad Bioware stated to became. The first dragon age and Mass effect however learned from this, but after those it just full cliché fest. Even if the ME 2 fags wont admit it…

Best part of Kotor 2 is how Kreia call you out if you goes full edgelord or space-sweden. Since both attitude is autism-worth.

KOTOR is only good for the whole background set-up for KOTOR 2, just don't look too much further into the clusterfuck that was TORTANIC, get KOTOR 2 with the Restored Content Mod and you're okay, add in some balance overhauls if you want a challenge and play on the highest difficulty.

kotor 2 writing is only a bit better, still fucking terrible at times

KOTOR2 is the superior game, but like said the games are fucking old. For the time they were pretty top notch, but now it's more about the nostalgia and SW autism.

Mass Effect 1 is the same plot as KOTOR 1 minus the star was paint job

user are you retarded or baiting?

Sure, but K2 is a pretentious hodgepodge of dead ends and unrealized ideas, and the only way to appreciate even half of those is by having played the original.

Nice digits don't make you any less full of shit.

sure thing retard

your autism amuses me

This is what extremists actually believe.

just play TOR m8

You should think though your life decisions, it may save your life from misery and futher shaming situations like this…

your retardation doesnt amuse me

this is what centrists actually believe

who the fuck let you use a computer?

user, Kreia only shits on you if you go full edgelord or full cuck. If you think going to either extreme is a good thing then I need to ask you: are you an edgelord or a cuck?

KOTOR2 is leagues better in writing than KOTOR1. KOTOR is all very cheesy and black and white.

Jade Empire aged even worse.

i love it when all day long fans of this game shill its writing but when you shit on it they get defensive and say "i-i never recommended it for the story! everyone skips all the dialogue!"
yet directly after saying that they get into a discussion about the story.
all they talk about is the story and characters while simultaneously saying they don't care.

other fag fanbases do this too, kingdom hearts for one.

Just finish the first game. It gets better after Taris. 2 is better, but you won't appreciate it as much if you haven't finished 1.

More precisely, Kreia shits on you if you don't consider the consequences of your actions. There's plenty of cases where she's fine with you taking either the light side or dark side choice but wants you to do the leadup to the choice in a certain way (like on Dantooine, where she's impressed if you tell both the settlers and the mercenaries that you'll help them regardless of who you eventually go with)

I've literally never heard anyone do any of this. I've encountered people defending by bad writing by just repeat "it's good" and say I'm wrong for thinking it's bad though.

I'll never understand why anyone fucking says this shit. I have to assume they just haven't played the game in a really long time. I played them both for the first time back to back and the first game was mountains better than the second. The second was a boring cluster fuck of listening to some old retard who was made out to blatantly be a super secret darth from the very start of the game who just sits around making autistic comments about everything. Then the big epic plot twist is something you were told from the start of the game anyways and it randomly fucking ends out of the middle of nowhere with a million fucking plot points left unfinished. It was literally a quarter of a game and story. I also highly doubt any mod would add enough to save what a joke the entire story was.

I'm convinced people that say KOTOR 2 is good are in on some secret meme that I don't know about.

Then Kotor 1, TOR, any vanilla Bioware RPG, or any other Star Wars games might be more your speed if you are looking for simple entertainment. Kotor 2 is pretty much a deconstruction on Star Wars universe and that is the novelty that makes it great.

gets better once you progress to the later stages of taris and then finally get off planet and get past dantooine. the first level on Kotor 2 is worse than Kotor 1 but it gets better they are similar in that way. also you should install the restored content mod.

KOTOR can legitimately be put down as the game that opened Biowares eyes to the fact that they could put out a completely subpar game and have everyone rave about what an amazing experience is. How did this happen you ask? Let me explain.

You see they already had discovered the horrid power of putting romances into their games through their experience with BG2, and been inundated on their forums by socially stunted hambeasts and friendless, desperate faggots who actually found emotional fulfillment from the terribly written throwaways that the Bioware team thought the romances would be. They flooded across the Bioware forums talking about how, for a brief, amazing moment (for them), they almost felt as if they were actually loved. It was shattered, incomplete, and covered in the grime of inferior minds, but in some small part Bioware realized the power of the waifu.

But it did not end there. With the release of KOTOR and the story that Bioware delivered, they would find the formula that they would use eternally from that point on. That is, to craft their entire narrative and build the entire universe around one focal point: stroking player egos. The entirety of KOTOR is spent talking about how OMG COOL or DARK AND POWERFUL or TOTALLY AWESOME Revan is. Even his enemies talk about how fucking great he is, wow, what a guy, he was always right, he saved the Republic when even the Jedi wouldn't, he was the best at everything too btw, war, the Force, knowledge, being a total BADASS, Revan was the most awesome thing that ever existed anywhere ever, and the only people who didn't like him were clearly inferior scum who were jealous of his greatness.

Oh by the way you're Revan. Oh wow what a twist! And people loved this shit. So much so that it's still held up, somehow, as a great amazing game and one of the few "gems" that Bioware ever put out despite it being an absolute shit game from story to combat to character building, it was at best okayish, and more often absolute trash. But people ate it up and loved it because the entire game is Bioware taking its hand and rubbing it back and forth on the players dicks. And people loved them for it.

It is truly a testament to nuBiowares incompetence that they failed to grasp this simple formula that created the Biodrones who would fanatically defend and obsess over their subpar, mediocre games against all comers. It took the absolute trainwrecks of Cisquisition and Andromeda to start snapping them out of it.

And if nuBioware wasn't so fucking stupid they would simply return to this formula, provide some passable (by western standards) waifus, stroke player dicks all game long, and they would have their audience back. But thankfully, SJWism has corrupted them fully and we can only pray it ends the plague known as Bioware once and for all.

You are correct, we actually played the game.

Kreia is all about manipulation of the Force, as opposed to being manipulated by the Force. That's the core of her teachings, it's why she hates the other two Sith Lords, it's why she thinks the sleeps-with-vibroblades is a failure, they are slaves to the Force. When the Exile starts doing arbitrary goody two shoes or edgelord shit, she tells her to knock it off and actually think about the repercussions of her actions and to instead do things that are more likely to benefit the Exile (here Kreia equates the chain of reactions that spawns from acts of good and evil to the Force itself, which doesn't make sense but whatever).

To be honest, Fallout was the first game to popularize talking heads, but the dialogue there is good enough that talking heads id all you need. Terrible dialogue won't be saved by good dialogue cutscenes, though.

Its a good game if you like Star Wars OP.

Star Wars is about good and evil. Nothing complex about it. If you expect Witcher from Star Wars you're going in with the wrong expectations.

KOTOR2 was good but it was clear Obsidian didn't give a shit about Star Wars.

Say what you want about Lucas but he let other people use his work. Disney will NEVER allow a game that isn't a direct movie tie-in.

>her
This TOR meme should die a painful death!
The only Exile it the Space Jesus Exile!

That's why it feels like the original trilogy and not some shitty EU novel. At least most of the time: the ancient force sensitive race and the megafundry thing feel out of place. Also

You got your timelines a bit wrong. Female Exile was canonized by Lucasarts in late 06-07, with Handmaiden instead of Disciple as companion and they set down some basic guidelines for KOTOR 3. I've no complaints about this because the female Exile gets an objectively better story in the game. Then TOR came out and ran with the stupid name, and the Revan novel sank it into the ground. So user you're replying to isn't really wrong, since he isn't taking anything post-TOR into account.

Female Exile was canon before TOR was a thing. Space Jesus head is also pretty shit.

The only options are 'be edgelord' or 'be piousfag' since you're calling centrism shit and posting here Imma gonna guess you're a fake neo-nazi who therefore could only ever choose the edgelord side because even the middle ground is too faggy for you. So you'd be better off not playing the game at all and better just generally fucking off because shoehorning this bullshit into everything you talk about makes you look like a cunt who doesn't live in reality.

Banhammer of Justice. Praise the mods and the sun!

Is there a big difference if you choose to be a male or female in KOTOR 2? Or do you mean it is better thematically? I've played the game once as a male so I never tried the female character.

Despite me loving Space Jesus and picking him every time, female Exile plus Handmaiden was canon way before TOR was even a glint in the eye of EA execs.

It determines which party member you get. Handmaiden or Disciple. Disciple is a fucking cunt, but he can be insta-promoted to Jedi and can offer some insight on occasion(but that goes for any character, really).

Well, the Exile nets three confessions at the end of the game. It's more in line with the themes the game tries to push; gives Sion and Atton their best moments in the game, different character dynamics and also sets up a charged and nets a unique companion called Disciple who is just utterly boring if more plot-relevant. I'd recommend you get the Handmaiden and Female Exile mod along with the TSLRCM, and you've got yourself the perfect playthrough.

The only thing interesting about the Disciple is how he almost saw through Kreia's deception and how Kreia kept playing with his mind to keep him in the dark also how he saw the pattern of the new Sith assassinating Jedi and destroying entire worlds to get rid of the Jedi, which you might think it's obvious but Nihilus and sleeps-with-vibroblades actually did things covertly so the Republic wouldn't know and the Jedi wouldn't know until they were being shot in the back.

Besides this he was useless, really, also not a good character design in itself, but maybe that's because I am not a female.

kotor 1 was a great star wars game. kotor 2 was a great game set in the star wars universe. youll get it once you finish playing both of them.

That'll teach me to type in the dark.

Holla Forums shits on everything. It is what it does. Luckily popular opinion has no impact on my enjoyment of a game. If it did I'd be on Reddit hugging for upvotes.

TOR was when I realised online gaming destroys everything.

It's not like the east is breaking any grounds in storytelling either, user.

Or making Star Wars games for that matter.

When was the last time the West made anything that could rival Automata or Yakuza? Hell, when was the last time they made anything as atmospheric as Dark Souls?

It's kind of sad I'd trust Japan to make a better TIE Fighter game these days than I'd trust any Western developer.

Guess one of the hotpockets really likes Kreia.

Stop being a weeaboo user, it'll get you nowhere in life.
Western games have sucked recently though. I thought the new Prey was good, I liked it better than Automata but that's personal preference.

I hope you're not talking about me given I stated why I like KotOR 1 in the same post. God forbid anyone points out the writing in KotOR 1 is hackneyed, must make them a teenager right? I'm 30 so maybe you should re-examine your life.

did you just unironically say that a game was good?

Go back to cuckchan.

No, ME1 is the same plot as Star Control 2.

But it's true that KOTOR makes the PC a Mary Sue and spends an inordinate amount of time sucking the player's dick. It reads like really bad fanfiction.

we have id's here friend

Never heard anyone say that. In any case, the game came out fifteen years ago, most people here discussing it were probably in their teens and it's definitely a story-driven game in the SW franchise, no doubt when I was younger I was more impressionable when it came to games and not as cynical as today.

That's why I prefer KOTOR2 Revan, because Kreia sucks his dick too but you're not Revan yourself so it's fine.

Kotor 2 is exactly the same.
There are a couple of situations where game tries to differentiate between edgy and evil, but in the end it's the same disney circus.

Kotor 2 is far superior, but the starting planet is abysmal.
It also needs the restored content mod for it to be good, but its still flawed.

It wasn't literal you dumb fuck.
"Disney" as in blatant black and white morality and comically "scary" villains.
It's ironic that disney of all things ended up with SW license.

I hope you don't mean Peragus or I'll cut you.

That's not a planet, Jim Jam.

Sorry but what about Nihilus, Kreia, or Sion is disney cartoon villains?

What's good about Peragus?

I think the planet after that is pretty boring, you just go from grey and brown mining corridors to grey and brown residence corridors.

Everything, starting with visual design and ending with their powers and motivations.

The good thing about Peragus and Telos is that they are not meaningless to the plot, everything is connected to the main plot, except for the side quests like those merchant brothers. You are not forced to go through some pointless boring slums just to get a few new companions, shit gets fucked in Peragus because of you, shit gets fucked in Telos because of you.

Yeah, go be retarded somewhere else.

????

Epic fucking non-argument.

????

Still I found both places boring compared to Talos and Dantooine.

Kys

You mean Taris? Taris alone prevents me from replaying KOTOR, so no, it was shit boring.

Yeah Taris, sorry. I think it's a damn good opening scenario, you go from the surface to the gag races to the bottom and the sewers, it has many layers with no pun intended. Peragus had the nice little "mystery" of the HK obviously trying to fuck you over and figuring out what happened, but the place itself is so drab as with Telos. After Telos K2 gets more interesting, but overall K1 just had much better worlds.

Okay what sounds more interesting to you:

Or

I already said what is more interesting.

I meant specifically the "camera zooms in on whoever's turn it is to talk" thing. At least in Fallout you could imagine your character is walking around or fiddling with something while this is happening.

It's a mistake, but it fits in showing how cliche the story is.

Malak had the whole planet quarantined. I hardly think it's a good idea to shove your blaster around official sith business when you're a Republic war hero.

Maybe it's just the way it's set and written, but it's still pretty fucking boring.

Hate Peragus even more than Tarsis tbh. At least in Tarsis you can meet best waifu (pictured)

Whew, for a second I thought you had posted that Twi'lek cunt and I was going to be steaming mad.

(You)

But it's true that KOTOR makes the PC a Mary Sue and spends an inordinate amount of time sucking the player's dick. It reads like really bad fanfiction.

Welcome to Star Wars.

Nigger, do you even play the game or read the dialogues?

Kreia wants to kill the force by using you, the very living force black hole. But Nihilus and Sion are after your ass because those dumb fucks think you are the last Jedi. So she has to ensure your survival by making you stronger to be able to curb stomp those dimwits, and it just happens that she has her doctrines which she believe surpassed both the Sith and the Jedi. But eventually you, whether you follow her teachings or not, you become something out of her control or wishes, so she has to backstab you and make plans on the fly.

Sion wants to kill you because it would break Kreia and prove that he is superior to her teachings.

Kill yourself for spreading that meme.

Surprised nobody has brought up this wonderful autist, best part is that he isn't wrong.

I've played through the game 5 times because its one of my favorites.

In Kotor that would mean the death of all living things, while she does hate the force because it empowers some and robs people of free will, she knows it can't be killed.
She flat out says that killing all living things is no victory and that she is content having a student stronger than her that can defy the force's will.

Nihilus yes, he needs that shit to keep alive.
Sion wants to end Kreia, and after Kreia whoops his ass and he realizes she is much stronger than him he wants to end you because of the reasons I mention.
He does not believe there is any value or power gained from her teaching and that you will become a self destructive failure like him.

She is literally in control the entire time and knows things will end at Malachor V. Its why she sends Hanharr there and tells him just to wait. She has no need to make shit up on the fly when she very clearly invites Nihilus to Telos through Corbin.

On the contrary, the Exile still lives despite being a void in the Force, much like Nihilus and the planet of Malachor. Kreia envisions a future where instead of life being lead about existence through the Force, everyone will have an extreme Machiavellian and Nietzschean crisis; only the strongest and most capable would be able to survive the fallout, something that Kreia trains you for.

I'm not sure that Nihilus can even 'sense' the Exile. IIRC he sent out Visas not because he slated the Exile to die, but because he wanted to find out what the hell was out there that was basically him: a conduit for forming force bonds in a desperate attempt to fill a void in the force.

And ontop of Kreia being in control, she also says at the end of the game that she can see into the future based off the actions that you took in the game, filling in some spaces of lore that would later be shattered by the Disney Buyout.

I tried replaying it recently and was bored just waiting to be able to start actually playing, about 20 minutes after crashing in the city I just gave up from the boredom.

The Exile in the game lives and draws power by proxy.
Killing enemies makes him strong, but so do force bonds, he taps into the force by proxy of your force sensitive teammates.

Its stated that the exile is very unique having survived and lived through that, and the Masters for example all die when Kreia severs them from it.

Speaking of Kreia seeing into the future, I like how she makes fun of Ordo and the Mandalorians right to their faces saying that the only thing that people will remember them by is a shell of a man being killed too easy by a Jedi.

They both sound interesting, but one is better for multiple playthroghs(Taris), while the other is better only for the first playthrough(Pegasus + Telos). My reason is that the mystery of the mining facility looses it's charm, once you know what happened, and with barely any interaction between player and NPCs it becomes boring. With Taris, I can go to the arena, play some space blackjack, talk to the townsfolk and get some lore, plus find out what the situation is, go in a bike tournament, there is variety.

Finally a hotpock nips shit in the bud

I considered posting that in response to the "KotOR 2 as a deconstruction is a meme" fag, but then I decided not to take the bait.

The Exile is an interesting character because she's a natural embodiment of the Sith technique of breaking force users, only it's done unconsciously. It's the reason why your party members, even if they disagree with you, are apt to follow you without question or hesitation. HK-47 mentions these same sentiments after you repair him and he goes into detail about the years leading up the Jedi Civil War, where Revan killed as many of the Republic forces that would've sided against him following Malachor's demise and then working towards breaking Jedi on the surface. It was borderline MKULTRA-tier shit, since Force users can't help but feel the pain of the planet and places like it, and it's why the Jedi Masters were so afraid of the Exile upon her return. Even if her intentions were good, they would invariably warp the autonomy of all those that came in sustained contact with her and break them to her will. This is also part of the reason why Revan returns to the Unknown Regions where he first discovered the application of those techniques; it's why he initially conceived the Mass Shadow Generator, and it's why other than the Star Forge that he practically overran the galaxy and destroyed the Jedi Order. HK further mentions that Revan was interested in destroying the latent Sith Empire; his war on the Galaxy and the Order had nothing to do with conquest and everything to do with unification (much like Emperor Palpatine)

original comment: kotor 2 is better because of the music even if they're incredibly short loops and get repetitive very quickly

To quote Obi-wan and Luke:
"Remember, a Jedi can feel the force flowing through him."
"You mean it controls your actions?"
"Partially. But it also obeys your commands"

It's that "partially" that kotor2 plays off of. The notion that the force exerts a touch of its own will on those sensitive to it, and the question of how much of that will might be malevolent and how much can it truly exert?

And that's why I think the scene with best girl on Nar Shaddaa is the most touching part. You convince her to focus on the planet and its people instead of her emotions, and when she feels the Force touch her in ways that no other emotion has, she breaks down and swears to become a Jedi so that she can save the planet and heal the injuries of its life and very nature.

>tfw nearly every light side playthrough I bring Mira along when taking GOTO's ship and listen to her life story inside one of the holding cells

I almost stopped my Dark Side playthrough because you are forced to kill her with your wookie slave weapon

I just installed the mod that let you get Mira as a companion even if you are dark side
hanharr just isn't a compelling character imo

His only purpose as a character is as a projection for other characters. Mira becomes a better character because of her interactions with Hanharr, Kreia teaches you lessons through Hanharr's madness, and so on. He literally serves no other purpose because he's flatter than fucking paper.

Though that could be because waifugoggles

and now Disney stole that idea and will bastardize it.

I have a lot of hope for this project.

yah both games speed up, terrible at start then wish was tens hours longer when done.

Single player RPG aren't the money makers they used to be.

Its much easier to make some online shit with loot crates. Star Wars characters were made made for loot crates.

lol

fuck I hate modern games so much.

If you took out the aurebesh symbols I would have no idea its starwars at all, goddamn

How come people can't get the starwars aesthetic right? starwars is supposed to be a mix of high fantasy and sci-fi, the purpose of half the shit you see doesn't have an apparent purpose for the majesty of it. If I took a look at random walls from the original endar spire without ever gracing KOTOR I could guess it was starwars. They just don't get it. And playing this in unreal 4 would just feel like i'm playing ARK with lightsabers

What retarded shit is this? Go back to Reddit, HK has no feels to give.

I really don't think a proper KotOR 3 would've been good, to be honest, unless the plan involved not seeing Revan or the Exile which would've been extremely difficult to pull off.

The best we could've gotten would've been a story driven, single player, non-dogshit TOR game. We would've been better off with an HK-47 DLC exploring the galaxy and assassinating targets, hacking into government mainframes, sewing chaos, and having a dry sense of humor.

It sucks too because HK is the only character Bioware wrote that wasn't a whiny faggot aside from Jolee.
They mistreated him in TOR so much that you kill him not once, but fucking twice.

It's old and doesn't really hold up, but it serves as a good point of reference when you're talking to faggots and need to give examples when discussing how Bioware was never really all that good on a storytelling front.

It picks up a bit more later on, but all of the decent writing is relegated primarily to the lore and backstory, if you want an actually compelling narrative then yes, KOTOR 2 is much better, however, your choices in that game are still relatively black and white. It just has some interesting things to say about that kind of binary morality system.

These games are for young adults ya spergs

I actually really like Hanharr. There's something about how he expresses his anger that is pretty fascinating to me. I honestly thought he was a well versed Wookie, probably the best in the entire franchise.

This place truly is reddit now. You can't even deny it.

Well her certainly had more development than Chewbacca, who was just Han's sidekick, or Zaalbar, who was just Mission's sidekick. He's about the only wookie in the franchise who has some personality or motivations of his own, and even then his existence revolves entirely around Mira.

He was banned for baiting and trying to turn this thread into yet another political argument.

Huh, strange. I could have sworn I was on Holla Forums, but I must have landed on cuckchan somehow. Oh well, have fun faggots. And remember, shit like this is why we left your shithole in the first place: abysmal moderation. I'm going back to my based 8/v/, where our hotpockets aren't powertripping censoring cumguzzlers.

oh look that shitty video again that is being recycled on reddit every month by pseudo-intellectuals larping as grey jedis