Farming vidya?

Alright farmfags, last time I played Harvest Moon: Back to Nature x years ago and now I crave for something new.

So, which one should be more enjoyable, Story of Seasons Trio of Towns or Harvest Moon Sky Tree Village? I have a 3ds so its nice to have it on the go.

I don't really see much difference between them, ToT looks like old HM on steroids and SKV looks like old HM on steroids with minecraft.

Other urls found in this thread:

nichegamer.com/2017/10/08/first-trailer-and-screenshots-for-story-of-seasons-the-tale-of-two-towns/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Story of Seasons is proper Harvest Moon because it’s made by the original HM devs. You can ignore every Harvest Moon that came out after Story of Seasons came out.

Thanks, but I don't really care who is making vidya as long as it is good. That's the thing that I came up across some time ago but today I watched some gameplay form SV and it doesn't look that bad, I'm a bit torn because I can't really see the differences.

Are there some huge flaws with either of them?

Rune Factory 4

I am not even being ironic. It has everything that harvest moon has and then some. The only possible reason you would not like it is if you hate high fantasy aesthetics and action RPG mechanics which, for the record, integrate seamlessly into the formula.

Farming Simulator 17

RF5 never ever.
Did the RF team reform under another name when they got shuttered? Are we going to see a spiritual sequel from (most of) the team at some point ever? Is it possible?
It really sucks because the game is only available on the eShop in PAL regions and since the developer is gone it never goes on sale and they want fifty fuckin' dollarydoos for it.

Alright, looks kind of fun, ARPG stuff looks nice, being prince/princess not so much. I even had a bad time playing the beginning of Suikoden 1 because of too big emphasis on being a royalty but when it didn't matter so much I could play it just fine, maybe that's just the aspect that I have to power through.
Is this game more about farming and less of other actions or everything is almost equal and farming is just a tiny factor? Would really like to focus on those turnips and cucumbers with some other minor things than trying to jump around mining/smithing/tailoring/brewing/skinning/enchanting/engineering/fedding homeless etc.

Holy shit, I thought it's some kind of joke, but it is a game. Thanks for contribution but tractor and modern farming is not my thing.

Story of Seasons is the original team making more havest moon. You would be better touching Stardew Valley before any of the 'we want le minecraft audience xDDDD' shit put out under the HM name now.

Which farming vidya has the best waifu selection?

Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral town easily. Most delicious homely vanilla sprinkled with just a little bit of various spices for flavor depending on your preference.

Elli best waifu for sure

Woolie pls go.

You need to delve into the combat mechanics every once in a while to progress the plot and unlock new farm upgrades but for the most part you can just do whatever the fuck you want at your leisure. Farming is as indepth as the regular harvest moon games.

Nothing stops you from taking your time to grow level 100 turnips that cost a million fucking gold if that's how you feel like making your cash. There is no sweet potatoes meta that you have to follow for the sake of optimizing your money gains every season.

Karen a drunken slut.
Still picked up her every gameplay

Minecraft

But he is objectively correct. He even got dubs to prove it.

This Harvest Moon is decent
Have you tried it yet?

Are you blind? Popuri is the best.

Also had the best (tragically unavailable) MILFus.

I get it Elli is FANTASTIC but don't forget that tomboys make great wives and need loving too

Huh, sounds like fun, if there is nothing holding me back and I can have the most pristine turnips which I can sell them for the same ratio price per kg as gold and sometime fight something off.
I think that's the seller, but still, I will watch some gameplay of that RF4 and ToT. More leaning towards RF4 but needs to be 100% sure.
Thanks for contribution.

Not really, don't feel like emulating and those type of games feel like a chore on stationary, It's nice if I can play it anywhere. it was always a drag for me, never felt "let's go home and grow some corn!"

Tell me about it.
>Lillia's husband leaves to find a (((magical herb))) in a (((desert)) ) as soon as his wife is diagnosed with debilitating illness that prevents her from even leaving her house without supervision from doctor.

A fucking tragedy is what it is. Apparently he came back during Sunshine Islands time period but he fucking failed in his quest since his wife is still sick at that point so it was all for fucking nothing.

meant for

At least Story of Seasons has properly carried on the Harvest Moon name.

I would wait on Story of Seasons as there is a "plus" version coming some time in the future.
nichegamer.com/2017/10/08/first-trailer-and-screenshots-for-story-of-seasons-the-tale-of-two-towns/

You could also try out Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale.

Good, the runey autism was fucking horrible. One of the worst possible game mechanics that anyone ever implemented in any game ever. The only saving grace of that garbage fire was the music.

Nigga read the article. That's one of the games that came out when the series was still known as HM. It's not one of the games that already got localized as SoS, which I can only assume you were talking about.

I know how you feel but there's a lot to do in the game so you won't get bored doing the same thing every in-game day like other HM's, this one has a list of things you can accomplish and gives you lots of freedom of what you can do early in the game

The best way to describe this game is if BtN and Animal Crossing had sex this game would be their child

Here's some pics of the game and characters as my last attempt at shilling this HM to you and others in this thread

Obviously fix the runey system. It alone ruined the whole flow of the game. plot wise, it makes sense for the runeys to be on a self destructive natural cycle since someone was ruining the balance but to punish the player so severely if not managed properly was absurd. It comes to the point where you might as well start over if you completely let things go to shit. It wouldn't have been so bad if you had a fast way of arranging them through Candy since she already has the ability to do so. Also having the globe in a location that wasn't in your house (or even an item on you) was stupid.

Damn you're right. I even played the original game myself.

"Proper Harvest Moon" as in, "made by the same talentless hacks that have been running the series into the ground for the last 10 years."

Buttmad nuHM fan detected

No? Why would you presume that? I've been continually disappointed by this series since A Wonderful Life.

I went back and beat Magical Melody again to give a fairer evaluation of it not too long ago, and while it certainly improved on AWL in a lot of ways, it still ends up being similarly tedious as hell thanks to the sim tendencies. The notes were a poor substitute for a proper end-game evaluation and were basically an early example of cheevos shit. I actually appreciate the goal direction they managed to provide but they're still not that focused, and the fact that you have to look up exactly how to get them or perform tedious work guessing wildly hoping to get lucky and stumble across one is just bad design.

The game has this big problem of everything happening as slow as possible. The pacing just isn't very fun. Nothing exemplifies this better than the unskippable cutscenes in the game which often have little more than a short sentence of dialogue–yet you have to sit there for minutes watching your character very slowly perform these series of pantomimes to express themselves. I honestly don't know what they were trying to do with those—simply irritate the fuck of the player?

The agonizing amount of time it takes to pick up, pull out, and put away your items for no reason is probably one of the biggest pace-killers to me. There's also shit like needing to drag your horse around sloowly with reins in the winter if you want to get it out of the barn without the other animals, or the amount of time it takes to fully charge a gold tool, or even how long it takes you to dismount your horse and begin walking normally again. Simple things that all add up.

The tediousness of the basic item management is probably the biggest issue. All that shit adds up so quickly and just makes performing routine tasks a big slog. It's funny too because the rotating item picker thing was a great idea… but it's just wasted on their idiotic choice of item use speed.

Also those five second animations whenever your farmer gets fatigued or tired. What the hell, seriously.

Magical Melody felt like in some ways it had rediscovered the goal orientation that made previous games in the series actually good games, but it pisses it all away on tediousness.

I won't lie and say that the series improved as it went on but how did it disappoint you continually? I would say HM is one of the few examples of a series that remained at roughly the same quality level throughout the years and managed to avoid the touch of pozz and other types of cancer.

At worst even the recent releases were a little dull in terms of plot and characters but gameplay remained relatively the same with a new gimmick thrown in every once in a while to spice things up without fucking up the formula too badly.

The fundamental problem since A Wonder Life in my opinion is that every game has gotten caught up in what I would collectively call "sim tendencies": bad ideas that do nothing to enhance strategic/planning depth (yes, I do mean that: strategy is what makes the best games in the series so replayable) but instead create superfluous decision-making or outright make playing the game more tedious.

If you want a game that genuinely tries to move beyond the stale paradigm that the series has been for a long time now and learn from or simply mimics the elements that made the older games good, Stardew Valley is that game.

I tried like three times to get into it and it just wouldn't grab me.

The town music got annoying really quickly and it overwhelmed me with a shitload of information and dialogue. It seems like a perfect example of games overexplaining their own mechanics rather than giving the player a few pointers and letting them take the wheel. Also the overworld/ARPG part felt very small and under-utilized. Everything about it just made me feel restricted and bored. Does it "open up" at any point or is it just not for me? For reference I had just reached the spoopy mansion, but this was also a year ago so it's quite foggy.

I've heard good things about this game, particularly that there's a lot of interactivity and things to do. The VN aspect also interested me, even though I'm not into VNs. I truly wanted to love it, I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to tackle it.

Just do what you want while slowly taking on the main plot. Every skill in the game raises your stats and there is a skill for everything so you can't really waste time. Farm > acquire currency > enhance house is a fairly safe way to get going.

It gets larger as you go on yeah, you were like half way through the first third of the game. I'm not really sure what your problem was with it.

You should play Rune Factory: Frontier, OP. Just play using cheats to keep Runeys maxed/at a normal level and don't use Runey miracles

also, Annette best girlp

*girl

forgot image too
fugg

I recently picked up on Stardew Valley and I like it so far. It's a Nice, chill Game with tons of personality, and its Nice atmosphere is relaxing, love the music.

Animal Parade was the last good HM game. I'm tired of all these handheld games.

Only bad thing about MM is that art style.

I have lost faith in man.

I kinda like the handheld ones but i agree that they need to go back to console ones or PC.

I'm still hoping there will be a Rune Factory for the switch at some point, but a Harvest Moon would be cool too.

Animal Parade had a lot of nice ideas going for it. Like how mining became a fun exploration minigame. How you could own multiple farms across the land. Or how there were a ton of animals you could keep as a pet. It also took me by surprise how more mature the NPCs were compared to most of the games where they're happy-go-lucky. Like how Luna wasn't just a short girl but someone trapped in a kid's body because her growth was stunted. One of the first few scenes you get when visiting another farm is a couple arguing and on the brink of divorce.

Then there's all the problems with the game like how it takes forever to get to anywhere without a horse and the camera is fixed. Actually that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't zoomed in so much in certain areas to the point you couldn't see where you were. Watering and harvesting crops is still tedious and I'm glad Rune Factory has made the process much faster. Though a personal problem, I think the days are too long. Shorter days makes you have to plan out your schedule and it feels great getting everything you wanted done in time before the day is up.

RF4 actually made profit. Supposedly, the reason they went bankrupt was because they still couldn't cover the Nintendo license for making games on the 3DS. The reason why the Vita has so many games compared to the 3DS is because it costs a ton to make games on it. Which is why the 3DS isn't full of niche titles like the Vita.

Harvest Moon for the PSP is probably the best Harvest Moon ever. The only thing keeping it from being a solid 10/10 is not being able to raise a family with your waifu. Other than that, you should just replay the NES version.

just needs waifus

Bump

More indepth actually since you have to rotate your crops or use fertilizer because the soil has it's own quality.

The only problem with that game is that all the waifus are shit. Which is pretty much the most important part and they fucked it up.

This

I still got the game and went with Abigail though it wouldn't surprise me if some autist modded Jas in as marriage material

You don't know the half of it. Someone made a Yandere mod for Jas that gives her a bunch of creepy events the more your relationship gets higher. (Though there's no marriage option added because the creator got threats by crazed puritans.)

I'm pretty sure I saw a mod that ages her up and makes her a marriage candidate, unless I was mistaken and it just ages her up. I think there's a marriage mod for Marnie, too.

And they never will.

Wait a minute… YOU'RE DESCRIBING RUNE FACTORY 4!