Arcanum thread

Any arcanumfags out there?
I feel like playing it finally, but a bit of searching resulted in like 4 distinctly different versions:
GOG, which is supposedly vanilla.
Ultima edition, which has a bunch of extra content
Ultimate edition, which is not the same, as it adds different shit, reworks and remakes a lot of the initial parts of the game
And Multiverse edition, which also fixes and adds shit, but again it's different.
My take is I can play any one and have fun, but if you know which one is the best experience please do tell. Or do I just stick to vanilla/gog version?
Or do I dig up original somewhere and apply some separate patches to it?
Game received a lot of love from fans, but I found myself lost in it.

Other urls found in this thread:

terra-arcanum.com/drog/guide.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love Arcanum but all I can think about right now is how a full conversion into OS2 would end up.

You mean Divinity? Yeah I finished that game too and it made me want more authentic cRPG experience, and Arcanum seems like the best choice.
I also like the whole magic vs technology opposition, even it doesn't really make logical sense.
Did you play Arcanum unmodded?

NEVER LET A GNOME INTO YOUR HOME

It's been a while but I think I played it with some kind of community patch. I used that with a torrent. I'm not sure what you mean by more authentic. Arcanum runs on an extremely similar AP system but you can get more of it with increased speed. It is less tactical, especially if you are dumb enough to run it in real time mode. Shit, in Arcanum you're supposed to be the reincarnation of a super powerful elf. The only real difference is that nobody really gives a fuck. About you. There are a lot of things to compare to OS2. Sorry to be first post man in your Arcanum thread. I'll go to bed now.

GAS THE ORCS, RACE WAR NOW

wot

By "more authentic" I meant "another proper CRPG", not "more proper CRPG". Sorry for shitty wording.
Well fuck, I guess I'll just download random one and look how it goes.

download the GoG release and then download the community patch
that is all you need to play the game.
if you have trouble deciding on your build first time around, you cannot go wrong with magic.

Well I don't want to use magic.
I want to use technology and gas elves/remove them with fire. I also plan to run solo.
How fucked will I be?
Is there easy mode or some shit to balance it out?

oh.
it's called ArcanUM.
shit.
This is waht I bought thinking it was this game:

You fucked up for real, Arcania is shit, and I'm saying this while disclosing I'm not the sort of user who calls everything shit. It just really fucking is bad and you dun goofed. I recommend refunding, or selling if physical, or whatever. Play Gothic 1/2/3, or even the inferior Risen 1, but this is trash you picked up.

yes. I'm fully aware.
It's alright, I'll find some sort of joy in it some how. It's pretty bad, even Magus was better then it.
I also picked up Risen 3. I hope that wasn't a mistake either.

Just looking for something to replace Elders scroll

Arcanum is amazing. It's a better RPG than FO1 and FO2 in my opinion.
I tried Arcanum for years and kept quitting early on, but after beating FO1 and FO2 I hit the ground running and stuck to it this time.
Ended up beating the game 3 times and put about 100 hours into it without playing anything else.
For new players I highly reccomend playing as a Magic oriented character first, as they are the easiest, and if you want a real challenge then play as a tech only gun slinger after you've learned a lot about the game and where you could find stuff to help you. Gun Slinger is really hard but if you know where to get good stuff than it is totally doable.
I rushed the Elephant Gun by getting into that camp near Qintarra as early as possible, you can get there early by hugging the mountains until you find the pass. Once you have the Elephant Gun then the game becomes a lot easier. You still need a lot of dexterity and perception to pull it off but those speed potions will let you beat more difficult parts easily. Like getting out of the first town is impossible as a gun slinger without a speed potion or betraying the town.
That is unless you use dynamite and run around in real time in the hopes the bridge thugs get blown up by it.

The gunslinging is great with the unofficial patch.

IIRC one of those modded versions has a turbo feminists Mary Sue working at a library on top of censoring underwear sprites because they triggered the cuck that made it.

Technology build is hard without companions, imo don't go solo for first playthrough, especially since some of the companions have extra content and add to the story.

It's doable but you need to make sure you can craft your own fatigue and health salves. Also you need to craft the Fine revolver which will get you through most of the game until you get an Elephant Gun. Getting the Elephant gun early though is gonna be hard as fuck, I highly recommend you at-least get the Dog companion. He can be your DPS but won't tank much. Magnus is great in the later game but kinda useless early on, you still have to take him with you if you want to level though, so getting the Dog early is key so the Dog can become OP.

I played it with the unofficial one, the games too buggy otherwise.

I've tried to get into this game before, but that was back before I beat shit like Baldur's Gate, babby's first CRPG. What's the best edition to play?

How did they get away with make the gnomes so obviously an analog for Jews? They literally worship Moloch in the game. You'd think they would have gotten shit from the ADL or some group like that.

i liked how you could only pick one side

Because it was made at a time when vidya was still a niche hobby that nobody outside of people that played them gave a shit about them.

The xbox wasn't even a thing till the end of that year, and even then it didn't really become mainstream as fuck until the 360.

At first while playing the game, I noticed the similarities between gnomes and Jews and just assumed it was my own bias making me see the connection. But after twin skulls quest it completely blew my mind as to how close the comparison really is.
The dude you meet in Caladon isn't even just saying "Oh it's this organization that's doing this" and leave it up to the player to notice that its mostly gnomes. He literally says "IT'S THE GNOMES."

Arcanum

How can I really get into it? I've first played Arcanum around 2009, I found a CD somewhere and I REALLY enjoyed the setting, it was completely new to me. But, being young as I was, I didn't have the attention span necessary to play it.

Then I tried playing it again several times over the years, never managed to get past the Black Mountain Clan part. Either because of my interest in the game disappearing or, once, because I couldn't get past the stone golem. I really want to finish this game, I can see from terra-arcanum that the lore is rich and there is a LOT of stuff to do. Are there any mods or patches that improve the overall experience?

Walking around huge empty places was one of the main factors that put me off the game.

Something you might not know about Arcanum is this was a hugely ambitious part of it

Arcanum is a true open world game. You can walk from the remains of the H.M.S Zephyr at the start of the game and walk to the other end of the continent unabridged if you really want to. There's actually hidden areas in the world you can find and it gives the game this great sense of scope that other games of the type like Baldur's Gate and Fallout don't

The biggest problems with the game were the time constraints Troika was under. Like with Fallout 1 they were able to playtest the shit out of it prior to launch to the point where Tim Cain determined it would be possible to beat the game using a character of theoretically any stats if you were persistent enough. Which wasn't common in rpgs at the time, there were often moments in rpgs where you needed to be good at something specific to complete it. (IE: In Revenant halfway through the game the player needs to fight this really powerful boss using his fists and it's unbeatable if you didn't level up fists before this.)

Arcanum doesn't have the same luxury. A lot of the skills are useless. Like gambling is useless. Firearms are arguably useless compared to melee unless you invest heavily in crafting. Etc. There are mods that rebalance some of the skills but even then there are still skills (like gambling) where if you invest in them you're really making your character weaker than he should be at that stage of the game.

Like I personally didn't like playing as a firearms user until I installed a mod that rebalanced a lot of combat. But even then I would never say that it made the combat "great"

It's a shame the game is so unheard of since it was highly moddable but only the game's sparse fanbase and Russians did.

Every time.

Mediocre. But its not like risen 1-2 was great either. Nothing new after night of the raven, only same shit slightly different.

I remember the guy who did not know how to use fast travel. He spend hours walking around the world.

risen 1 > gothic 3

terra-arcanum.com/drog/guide.html

Install all this shit. It doesn't change game content. It's just high res, bugfixing, better textures, better music, more animations. The one patch that changes things is the level cap remover, but you'll want that, considering how easily you can reach level cap by the midway point of the game.

It was. Risen 1 is the only Risen game worth playing. Why do you purchase shit without looking it up first? Blind purchases are full of regrets, user.

Too much Holla Forums rots your brain, user.

Vendigroth Ruins are an endgame zone. This is like those Fallout strategies where you rush endgame areas for superpowered loot before doing the midgame and trivialize the whole game. Arcanum is easy enough to cheese without doing shit like that.

Also Charged Rings are better if you have a large party so you can equip everyone in them. In small parties it's better to just spam Agility of Fire provided you have a high int. Fun fact, you can stack it multiple times on yourself, so it's possible to get 20 dex at level 1 by repeatedly buffing yourself with AoF.

You could always make a mage of the Conveyance school for the Teleport spell. There's also the Staff of K'an T'au lying around somewhere that gives you a teleport spell. You just need to have less than 95 tech aptitude.

Also, I hope you realize you can run in Arcanum. It's much more convenient than walking.

Yeah, but gothic 1-2-raven > any risen game.

yes, that's without a doubt