Mascots that time forgot

Look at this time janitor trash cat. Look at him.
To newfags not in the know, this was Microsoft's attempt at making a competitor to Sonic, they made a really interesting game centered around time, you could do everything with it, you could pause, fast forward, rewind, record your own actions to assist in puzzles or add extra damage, and whenever he lost a life his actions were rewinded to before he lost his last HP based on if you had a Retry.

The game played like a puzzle platformer, and anything that dropped, like time crystals that you matched up for powers, stayed on the field. Getting rid of all the time monsters then taking home valuable trash was the general objective, so you had to pick and choose what trash you used, what order you collected time crystals in for powers, and generally the levels were very well designed from a gameplay standpoint.

This wasn't a "Bubsy" situation, his games (all two of them) were good, he just got shafted because Microsoft had no idea how to run a mascot in the industry and cut the budget for the second game in half.

To give this some perspective, it already had a "Sonic Forces" in the second game, which was all about making your own trashcat and customizing him, sending him through levels.

If they had actually marketed Blinx's games properly, they'd have had a cash cow.

And guess what, they dropped the trademark ages ago, if any of you really wanted to, hell if ANYBODY wanted to, you could make a game with a trash collecting time janitor cat with nothing to stop you.

OwO

Not exactly mascots, but it was something unique how Jak and Vex were advertising ps2 in the west and modern 3d graphics of that day. Had them on a lot of posters and promotion art for 3d modeling programs.

oWo

uwu

He wasn't a competitor to Sonic because Sega was already dead when the Xbox came around. In fact, Sega had some kind of partnership with Microsoft which is why the original duke controller looked like a dreamcast controller, and there were all kinds of Sega games on the first Xbox. I personally figured he was more of a competitor to Ratchet & Clank since that generation was PS2 vs Xbox with the Gamecube doing their thing off in left field.

>Blinx 1 & 2 PC version will never be released because the development workstations they are made on have likely been purged for other projects

Reminder of the reddit faggot that broke an xbox devkit or the one the one EXTREME faggot that returned the starcraft gold master

Besides cameo appearances, his last game was in 1990.

Nah, one exists somewhere but a redditor is gonna find it at a yard sale, gut it, and wipe the hard drive to make his epic gaymur PC that he plays nothing but LoL on.

Reminds me of F-Zero

Poor alex, kicked to the curb for the radical hedgehog.

Holy shit it's fucking edgelord furry Wolverine
Is his game good? I'm on an emulation binge.

you also missed the "time" pun, but I forgot that you probably forgot that Blinx is a time based character.

OP don't laugh at yourself.
I'm not in the mood since now I'm mad that the only way for Blinx 1 & 2 to get a pc release finally would be a from scratch project which will likely never happen because blinx had a fucking amazing team.

That's… debatable. Debatable by another person, because I can't actually remember the details of this game.

Next level shitpost right here, what a strange post.

Speaking of Microsoft, I remember a friend I used to have going on angry rants about how Abe and more specifically Munch could have outright been Xbox mascots, only for Microsoft to opt away from Oddworld in favor of Halo and Master Chief as their representatives.

What

You wish you could shitpost half as hard as I can. All I remember is playing Blinx a decade ago and thinking, "god, what a shitty platformer".

If he wasn't in MvC2, he'd be a complete literally who

I recall hearing that a big part of what got Blinx dropped was a survey that revealed to them that he was one of the least-liked characters in gaming at the time. I don't recall people hating him that much, but they got super scathing reports and decided to kill it off.

He deserved better than CURRENT YEAR Crapcom.

Survey, popularity, and trademark, he was created by that guy who help unleashed the Sanic Autism Syndrome and the Xbox kids and teens were more into Master Chief who wasn't supposed to be their Console mascot because they wanted to follow the Nintendo-way of family friendly image, hence why Xbox was known as the dudebro console.

I played this game for the first time recently. Might be my favourite Capcom beat em up. Why did no one tell me?

Because Capcom is shit when it comes to taking care of all their franchises.

I remember him mostly being ignored. Xbox appealed to exactly the kind of people who don't play mascott platformers. The game probably would have served fine on Nintendo or Playstation.

vex? dont you mean ratchet and clank?

It was huge on arcades back in the 90s, it was the first PS1 title I ever owned. You are just a babby.

Way better than Sonic. Just saying.

But even today, everyone knows Final Fight, everyone Knows Streets of Rage, everyone knows Golden Axe.

Because those haven't been fully abandoned.

try Battle Circuit. another god tier capcom beat 'em up

bump

is that a bulge?!!

OwO

Thanks for making me feel old OP.

Y

It was pretty forgettable compared to J&D or Mario Sunshine

Sauce

At least Earthworm Jim became a god in Sacrifice.

Rayman. He was Cuphead before Cuphead.

The games looked gorgeous, and "The Great Escape" was really fun. Brings a lot of memories.
By all accounts Rayman should be a well known mascot similar to Mario or Sonic, yet for some reason he isn't.

Why does 90’s Capcom have the market cornered on fighting game music?

10/10 tastes.

Bonk.

>the only way to find all 7 sacred swords and attain the golden armor and get the true ending is by getting that sword as it's the first one and the rest of the game only has 6
He was awesome.

Blinx is one of the most underwhelming platformers of the 6th gen and of that era in general. I'm still surprised that people latch onto him as if he was like the next coming of Spyro and if only Microsoft tried harder he'd be bigger than Sonic

In reality his first game was mediocre and his second game wasn't much better. By comparison Jak and Daxter was amazing in its first game and blew Blinx completely out of the water. And released a year earlier.

I just wanted more light hearted collectathons. I hated when they made Jak talk when it first came out and I still say making him talk was a mistake.

Anyone remember these games? They even got a TV show in 2007 that didn't last long. I've only played pic related, but it was a pretty decent game. Are the other ones worth my time?

Blinx was actually designed by Sonic's original designer, Naoto Oshima. Did his design ability seriously degrade in the 5 or so years since he had designed NiGHTS, or did Microsoft fuck with his creative process to the point where the character turned out to be a mess, OR did Microsoft just take Oshima's first draft and not bother to refine it at all?

No. We'll never forget what his eggs smelled like.

holy fuckin shit, i hope these games are as good as my childhood remembers, used to play the fuck outta number 2

The main character of NiGHTS is just some lanky, faggy clown - what do people like about it?

What was the name of that one fucking cat? Alot of us really wanted to fuck for some odd reason.
I'm pretty sure time definitely forgot about that but I know some of US didn't forget.

Krystal?

No, it was a black and white cat, had a game on the N64 I think.

Is this it?
this was the closest thing I could find so far.

Do you mean Berri from Conker's Bad Fur Day?

If you can get past the rougher graphics and you liked the game play the earlier two are better.

So it's a good series then?

No, I specifically remember we had a thread about it and everyone really wanted to fuck that cat. Honestly shit it might have been PS1.

It's entertaining for what it is. I like the humor and general aesthetic and the gameplay was fun though a bit sketchy at times.

Easy

Yup that's the one.

But there is a fan-made Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2.

I know everyone on Holla Forums forgot this mascot

There is?!

Like Sonic but Austria

he's got a new game and remakes on the pc, and it's australian you fucking dip

No you fucking dingus Australia is where Arnold Showortnigger is from.

Fucking embarassing

Loved that game as a kid, never could quite beat the final level though

And people think Cuphead is hard.

Gex and Dan.

My nigger

Though this is the better OST

I liked the first when I was younger, but when I last played it maybe 2 years ago, I realized how slippery it can feel. Sequel I didn't like very much when I finally got to play it, as a lot of stuff got changed and threw me off. Surprised to hear the budget was slashed rather than bloated, because some of those features seemed to suggest bloat (lotsa cutscenes, customized characters, more structure in levels instead of jumping around on your own with a few messages occasionally).

Rayman got the Spyro treatment of being shoehorned into associating with Ubisoft's Minions (before Minions were a thing). The difference between Spyro and Rayman though is that Rayman got games afterwards while Spyro is only relevant in Skylanders through the Netflix show.

The gameplay of NiGHTS is a fluid time & score attack game that's fun and fast as fuck if you're good enough. Doing acrobatic stunts and chaining links together whilst collecting orbs and chips is so mesmerizing and satisfying, with the only off putting thing is the design of the character itself looking weird albeit intentionally since it's supposed to be a dream creature representative of one Jung's concept of the shadow.

The best three.
Sparkster is good too, but kinda lame.

You and me both brother. Vectorman is so fucking cool.

PLAY TO WIN

Fucking amazing.