Can you name a game that is similar to boktai in it's gameplay ? haven't seen a one in years

can you name a game that is similar to boktai in it's gameplay ? haven't seen a one in years

Other urls found in this thread:

nicoblog.org/gba-roms/boktai-3-sabatas-counterattack-english-patched/
romhacking.net/translations/1331/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Boktai 2

You do know that there are four Boktai games, right?

Diablo

Bokatai 3.
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost babel.

Good game with a really underrated soundtrack. The MGS games are kind of similar, obviously because of kojimbo being involved

Kojima knew how to make games.

Fixed. He also didn't design Boktai, he just funded it.

I still have my cartridge and a GBA SP. I like to take them with me to the beach during the summer to play the game. I'll finish it one of these years

Backlit game system in the sunlight? And proprietary batteries at that. . .

Is Zoktai worth importing?

In particular, I kind of wonder if the rough edges ever got sanded down since I only played the first two. The first one had it freaking raining energy and health items, but if it weren't for that you'd be screwed without constant sun. (The way dungeons change at night seems to offer a challenge mode, but even minor bosses basically demand you gobble down solar fruits.)

#2 Overfixed all of that by giving you extra tiny ammo capacity, and giving you melee weapons that don't need energy. This one felt weird. It seemed more like I was supposed to kill everything, though that was a chore even with all the EXP it gave me. The solar energy got eaten up FAST.

So yeah, do the others strike a balance? I replaced the batteries in my games last year, but this year the clutter seems to have taken my GBA hostage.

This series got completely forgotten despite of the fact that Kojima was involved and that the first three games borrowed heavily from the 2D Metal Gear games. It's even filled with spaghetti western references and whatnot you would expect from Kojimmer, maybe it's for the best that way so scalpers won't get a hold of it.
I have yet to play any of the games myself but I abhor the cramped screen resolution of the GBA, same reason why I can't get myself to play MMZ.

What's that game with the Boktai MC, Coldsteel vampire, and way too many furries walking around? Been wanting to replay it for ages.

Lunar Knights?

Yup, that's it. For some reason I was thinking it was a GBA game. The story was moldy dogshit but the gameplay was fun enough.

I think it was a sidegame to the original trilogy.

How does this game emulate? Any mods that let me ajust the light level?

Most emulators have an option for that, I personally set the light level to the max and play at the highest difficulty to compensate.

I want to say I've heard that all three GBA games have been given solar sensor patches that allow the player to control what degree of (non-existant sunlight is being registered). If so, I would assume the one for Boktai 3 would have also been made in a way to work with, or at least not interfere with, the fan translation patch.

I've always loved Boktai's OST. It's charming and easily recognizable, has a distinctly western flavor of adventure to it, and can handle fun or ominous moods well. Lunar Knights has great music too, but it doesn't have quite the heart that the other Boktai OSTs had.

Even though I'm particular towards the stealth and puzzles of the older Boktai games, Lunar Knights's action was a lot of fun and gives it some nice replayability.

I have the older version of the SP, which is frontlit and thus able to be used in the sun.

You'd know it existed if you were old enough to remember

I've emulated the third one, and it runs just fine on my PSP. It's also got a patch to allow for adjusting the sunlight level via a button combination. This exists for the other two games, as well.

Flash cart on hardware here, it's totally doable. Despite owning the first Boktai, I was able to play it on flash cart with no issues whatsoever. You just hold R and press up or down to dial the sunlight to whatever you need. Timing gets desynced after a while, but it's an easy fix ingame, so no worries if your RTC battery is dead.

The problem with Boktai 3 isn't the sunlight hack - the english patch is in development hell and is only halfway done, even though the script's finished.

Here's the sunlight hack with unfinished translation: nicoblog.org/gba-roms/boktai-3-sabatas-counterattack-english-patched/
There's some more stuff you can apply, like menu translations, that may brick the game here: romhacking.net/translations/1331/

With the full script on gamefaqs and source code available, it's only a matter of time before someone gets bored enough to hack the text and iron out the bugs.

I don't know what I was expecting

you can't defeat a boss unless you're using the sun