Bullshit/Poorly Designed Levels or Bosses

What are some genuinely, poorly designed levels and/or bossfights, Holla Forums? So shoddily designed that playing through it is just a frustrating and futile venture, or a grand carnival of laziness.

Of all terrible things from DS2 you decided to bitch about something decent?
Duo cats was good and fair, if simplistic boss fight, you just suck.

Fantastic design

You got a soul that could be used to craft a fucking awesome greatsword out of it.

The inexcusable part of that fight wasn't the fight itself, it was the walk to it. Even Demon's Souls' walk to False King Allant wasn't half the fucking bitch that the fit to the duo cats was.

That whole area was bullshit tbh

wew fucking lad

The Serious Sam games have some shit early levels. The Spider's Nest in BFE and Oasis in TFE are so shit I usually skip them.
They take the Serious Sam formula and boil it down to tiny corridors where you get jumped every time you turn a corner. Both games open up significantly after getting through these stages.

Nightmare Mother

I really fucking hate those boss fights that amount to "holy fuck, it's a huge fucking monster! Wait, why is it only its upper torso and it only attacks by slapping its hands and slamming its face into the ground like a mongoloid?" They are all unoriginal and counter intuitive to the game which amount to memorizing a certain attack pattern with a few unavoidable attacks thrown into the mix while the only places you can attack are their heads when they slam them against the ground like a downy or their wrists when they get tired of slapping them against the floor.

All the bosses in Infamous Second Son. Every single one.

The duo cats boss is fine. The really shitty thing about that expansion was the Loyce soul grind.

That entire area and boss fight were designed with summons in mind from get go.
Purposely gimping yourself first and bitching about "unfairness" later is just bizarre.

FUCKING BROTHER TORIN IN NEVERWINTER NIGHTS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You absolutely *have* to cheese him if you are playing a non-magic character, and all of those fucking debuffs he puts on you, the fucking stun spell he puts on you, the fucking spook spell he puts on your fucking minion, fuck that fight and that dungeon in general zombies are the most annoying fucking character in this game.

then go play some good shumps, usually fitted with bosses that litter the screen with projectiles, due to the nature of the shumps you're no longer doing some retard "dodge, dodge, hit" routine, unless the boss blocks your projectiles while attacking which is rare

Bulletsponge bosses are the worst. The bosses in Peace Walker were like this, playing it solo took forever to beat them and drained all of my supplies. Destiny is also infamous for this.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley, in the picture.

Was he the Lich in the basement of that one house that connected to the graveyard? I remember he was immuine to basically eveyrthing except one attack type (bludgeon I think) or a really really high level wizard. Also the zombies at that level where basically cannon fodder, there where way more annoying enemies.

Also you don't have to fight him. In the first chapter there's always 2 ways into the districts dungeon.

DaS has floofy tail, Bloodborne has Amelia. Does DaS 2 or 3 even have any weird qt's?

The first boss in Kero Blaster's zangyou mode. excuse the gay screenshot, I couldn't find a better one of it

Those spam bullets he throws around in his second phase seem sometimes impossible to dodge reliably because of how fast they fall and how little time you have to react to them and how slow the player's acceleration is. Even if you try to shoot then while they fall, you only have the first weapon at that point which has very small bullets.

The pyromancers, of course.

That describes Dark Souls 2 as a whole pretty well.

Zuz.

every 3d sonic boss

Yorschka in DS3.

Any small arena with that useless whore Farah

I've been thinking lately on compiling a small essay on why boss fights (particularly big guy 4u boss fights)don't really work in fps games and, more often than not, 3D games in general.
A good boss fight usually involves maneuvering into a position that maximizes damage (being able to aim at the boss) while being about to dodge his attacks. In an FPS, most weapons the player uses are
The other main issue is dodging:
What this boils down to is that you're typically just hugging corners and whittling away a bloated healthpool. I'm sure there's some examples that break the trend on this, but I really can't think of any off the top of my head.

I got ya.

DaS 2 has Mytha. Speaking of terrible design choices the windmill burning was absolute bullshit, luckily the fight is still easy even in poison.

As much as I love Battletech, the ending of MW4 was weak as hell and the boss fight was absurdly easy and boring.

I'm playing through Aria of Sorrow for October and it's a fun game, until I got to this gigantic piece of shit. It's like trying to fight a giant sperg behind a jail cell and it's a fourth as entertaining.

That windmill shit was pure retardation. The game gives no indication that the player should take that action.

How the fuck was anyone supposed to guess that shit, that a single windmill was somehow flooding the entire area with poison. The only accessible part of the fucking thing is made of metal, so even if you thought something was up with the windmill, it wouldn't make any sense to try setting it on fire

It's like the entire game was designed to make everyone angry

That's what player messages are for I guess. Because of them, I never knew there was poison to fight her in until seeing it mentioned online somewhere.

I thought there had to be a way to make the poison go away but my mistake was thinking the pharros lockstone faces would do it. Made me waste those too, wouldnt have thought to bring a torch to the metal part of the windmill in a million years, maybe if it had a grayed out prompt when you're next to it would have worked.

Did you pirate it?

This fucking part killed so many of my runs due to bullshit patterns

At least the third game had the decency to frontload it's shit and make you perfectly aware it was awful instead of peppering it out like this.

Reminder that the only good games Shiny made were MDK and Wild 9. The rest were a bunch of shitty meme games, EJW included.

Two of the bosses in Zombies ate my Neighbors are so poorly designed it's honestly amazing. First, the giant baby:

And the giant spider:

The only really effective strategy for these bosses is just to hoard the best items. If you can do that, you're set. It's either dead easy, or hair-pulling bullshit - no in between. There's no "right way" to fight these bosses, because you simply can't deal with them that way without inhuman reaction times. Ask almost anyone who played this game and I'm sure they'll tell you how they beat the giant baby by just waiting safely behind a wall and throwing soda cans or something. They actively encourage you to hang back in a safe spot, spam your weapons and hope their random, spastic movements keep them still long enough for you to hit them. Using any weapon other than the rocket launcher, this will probably take a good 5 minutes or more.

lets add to the fact that as soon as the round starts, they usually pin 4 or 5 people you need to save into the same area as said giant baby, who then proceeds to kill all of them before it's even feasible to get remotely close to them. I managed to a weird spot and shoot the baby repeatedly with rockets, but at that point ,the baby was the only neighbor left alive.

But around as bad?

How the FUCK are you supposed to fight those fucking things? They hide under ground for super long periods of time preventing you from hurting them, then they pop up and attack and if they hit you, they regain health, but they only pop up when they can hit you.

Seriously, what the fuck.

Yeas, that's how you get the skuul keys

I hated all the backstabbing in that tower and that poison was the icing on the cake. It didnt help that i was used to the fact that in the other 2games leveling is not essential, so i was at like level 30 something and later learned most people dont even start the hard parts before level 50. In the end i pulled every single trick available to beat that snake queen while swimming in poison.

Yeah, sometimes the baby will keep still and you can just pour rockets into him, it's happened to me before. Also, the bullshit with victims dying before you can feasibly reach them could probably have a few paragraphs on that. I remember at least one level that puts a mummy spawner right next to a victim, so he may just die instantly.

You can kind of bait the worms into popping out in the same spot over and over, while getting out of the way just in time. Their hitboxes are kind of confusing, though, their heads are the only thing that matters, but the perspective makes it weird.

The entirety of Dark Souls 2

Final Fantasy 13, every fucking second of it. Beyond the endless hallways with the occasional branch to either nothing, or a small treasure chest/monster, almost all the bosses are the same shit, bullet sponges that just require you to mash X, and occasionally switch to the heal paradigm, mash X until everyone's healed, then switch back, and the only part of the game that isn't a linear hallway is just a giant circle with a bunch of hallways sticking out of it.

They knew they fucked up on this one. In Scholar they added an NPC white phantom who does everything except burn the fucking thing for you. IIRC they pull out their own torch and constantly point towards the windmill when you're nearby, if you walk off they use the beckon gesture to try to guide you back to it. I think they also added a developer message on the ground there telling you to "try fire" or something.

And its awesome.

Anyone that owned Super Mario Sunshine will have this segment burned into their memories.

kek'd

Isn't the cool ass kid that inspired a brand new cancerous retro generation? The ones with RADICAL PROGRESSIVE EFFECTS!11!!.

It's nowhere as bad as any of the other examples in this thread but this guy can be a real pain in the ass with his death "laser" especially when he decides to fire it off as soon as you walk in the boss arena. It doesn't help that if you don't select Kato for your starter pokemon then you won't have access to a fire spirit until after this mission. Didn't help that back when I fought it that fire shot was useless.

I liked that boss.

Don't know about anybody else but that was the only part where the camera was shit in the game.

wolnir might just be the worst souls boss ever

I think the bed of chaos is worse

brb killing myself for responding to obvious bait

I did too and I loved Itsukushima too despite spending so much of my first run through falling in the water.

Speaking of Super Mario Sunshine, anyone who actually thinks the Pachinko level or the Sand-Bird are really hard should fucking kill themselves.
Yeh you may die a couple times but learning the framework for them is quick and easy. When I learned that people actually thought the Sand-Bird was some impossibly hard level I lost hope I forgot I had.

Fucking hell people on /vg/ defended this shit when it came out, I got fucking banned for arguing with people about it, fuck that entire shitty fucking game, and fuck that board

People on /vg/ will defend anything man. It took hundreds of threads before /vng/ stopped buying Sekai Project VNs, they don't care about supporting anti-consumer companies because they are silly.

2cat gave me less problems than 1cat, for some reason.

Question, is there still a Katawa Shoujo general? I haven't been to 4chan since the first exodus and they were on like 2000 something.

You can add this guy to the list as well. Nothing about this guy is hard. It's just tedious. This guy, Um-bozu, and the great centipede are just not fun to fight. Nioh can't do massive boss fights well.

And that's not even the real thread number, they started over since they lost count
TWICE

Now that's what I call autism

DRAW YOUR SWORD

We interrupt Dark Souls to bring you….

Super Mario!

What's wrong with summons?
They are specifically placed near bosses so you're expected to use them.
It's like saying you shouldn't use special weapons in mega man.

Most bosses are a lot easier to do by yourself once you perfect it anyways. I could kill the watchdog fire dog from the chalices from Bloodborne 9/10 times without taking a hit, but when I tried to get summoned for it, the boss attacks were far harder to predict because it had 2 targets.

OH GOD

Bed of Chaos is irredeemable trash. Throw in the shit boss with a really boring run back and its no wonder so many hate it.

You can tell at that point they rushed that area and boss fight

Still need pick up the dlc.

It's defiantly worth it, you get some damn nice armor sets and weapons. Four different types of Sanada armor alone. You also get cat bro and moth girl.

Everything after Anal Rodeo is basically in a beta state, user; FROM ran out of time and had to get it working but couldn't fix or polish.

Bed of Chaos is the worst example and feels like it's only half a fight. It's basically the 'time to lose all of your souls and humanity' wall before you finish the game.

while the other orange fog walls are also pretty clearly unfinished I dont think they are that bad, archives is fun I just wish it had more enemy variety, and I like the encroaching darkness of tomb just wish it was bigger, as it is you run through tomb once in five minutes and never again where as even other unfinished areas have npc quests and things to do

I liked this boss because it initially makes you think you're going to fight yet another Giant Bat rehash, then this fucker stops that shit hard. It was probably more impactful as a teenager though

How do hundreds of NEETs with autism lose count of something?

Tomb has the maiden questline and it also gets you Patches.

Yeah I was scared as hell to fight him with all that build-up, beat him my first try and was like "Oh, that was it?"

Legitimately stopped playing the game here. Found out much later he was the final boss, thought I was still only like halfway. Really put my desire to finish the game to rest since this garbage encounter was all I had to look forward to on coming back.

Final level in Xcom 2.
Or the entire game which is about slogging through tedious early game to have pimed out killing machines with infinite stats after few covert ops.

Thats alistor(alistair?) right, I dont think he is the final boss or maybe I am getting confused because of the expansion pack. I thought the final boss was some shit fight with lucifer.