Things you wished more games copied

It's a shame the only thing to copy the Ancient Cave in Lufia II was a Final Fantasy V romhack. It's a really cool concept that greatly extends replay value and would be really fun in a game with deeper combat and character building.

Other urls found in this thread:

lufiaworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1386140
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

BUT ANOOOON, THE OTHER LUFIA GAME THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHERS HAD AN ANCIENT CAAVE

Also dying on the final stretch after finding rare equips was suffering, young me raged to hard

Sonic CD style time travel.

What specifically makes in Sonic CD style?

I reached the bottom of that thing and it was all glitched. The giant slime was cool tho.

Being able to somewhat freely swap between different similar iterations of the same level that represent different points in time IE past, present and different possible iterations of the future depending on objectives completed in the past/present.

to be pedantic that isn't much different then Dark/Light world mechanics in function in a refreshing style. Being unique is its novelty. If it was used more by other games, chances are it could have worn out its welcome.

Another game with defensively oriented combat like this one would have been cool. Shame the original didn't do well with "professional" reviewers, and sold like shit on both sides of the Pacific.

The Pokemon mystery dungeon games had something like that if I remember correctly.

Every single third-person shooter developer who refuses to apply this simply idea pioneered by one of the earlier games in the genre should just fucking kill themselves.

Jet Force Gemini is one of my favorite games of all time, and I haven't enjoyed any of the dozen or so other third-person shooters I've played. I love all of Rare's games, but I'll always be bitter that JFG didn't really get recognized as much as their other works. If it had shaped its genre in the way that Goldeneye did, modern third-person shooters might not be such putrid shit.

What made it defensive?

i miss the kick of the machine gun and trirocket launcher effect from the rumble pad, today using that much amount of forcefeedback is probably illegal

no, he doesn't have to continue the conversation, what's your point?

Well there was that one cave in final fantasy that made all metal equipment "heavy" so you would only use wooden weapons and leather gear

Are you getting defensive?

Yeah, but it's just a gimmick level. Nothing remotely on par with Ancient Cave

Final Fantasy IX had a dungeon where the attack power of all weapons was reversed, meaning that if you went in with level-appropriate weaponry you'd be lightly tapping enemies with a feather duster, but if you went in with starting equipment you'd be hitting for full damage. So…sort of similar, I guess, in a way.

Basically, the setup has you as the player controlling a single character in combat against up to four or so enemies at once. That might be alright for games with real time combat, and in which you have free movement, but in a standard turn-based one, that can be kind of shitty (which is part of why parts of games where you have a party normally and are suddenly forced to go it alone can be rather despised; things being tuned for having more support/actions that you do at that point). However, Tsugunai handled things really neatly. The player still only gets one free action per turn cycle, but are given the chance to actively defend their character from incoming attacks. Most enemies have multiple types of attack too, and learning their visual and/or audible tells (on the fly in the case of some bosses) and the appropriate means to respond is crucial to survival against at-level foes. You are given four means of defense, five if you have a particular item equipped:
Combat is very much focused on defense and the nuances therein. All of the standard four guards have a limited timing for using them, varying between the type, meaning you can't just hold the buttons corresponding to them down for the entire enemy action. You have to defend your character when the time is right to do so. Being able to read what the enemy is going to do and how to respond is also key. For example, a normal guard will work fine against singular physical strikes, but combo melee attacks are likely to outlast it, and getting hit in full once will make it impossible to guard the rest of it. Backstepping isn't the answer to a combo either, as it's liable to only partially avoid an attack that long (or risk another 25% Strange to try dodging the rest). Thus, the proper response is to learn the timing on the first incoming hit, and then execute a counter guard, which not only doubles as getting another solid hit of damage on the enemy, but will also get it to fuck off, breaking the rest of the combo before it can become one. And in general, learning what attacks can be countered, and the timing for doing so, is crucial to taking down enemies much quicker than "one attack per turn cycle".

Why would they need to? Most of them have either over the shoulder third person camera or do it like Max Payne.
The only reason Jet Force Gemini needs to have a transparent character is because shifting the camera would completely destroy the framerate as the game already drops to single digits FPS.

No fucking way. Why do I not remember that dungeon?

So Oracle of Ages?

It was pretty short. Plus the rules in the dungeon didn't affect magic damage, I think, so there's a chance you might have gone through it and just assumed that all of the enemies were resistant to physical attacks and mostly used magic.

Get the Frue Lufia patch. It fixes a bunch of bugs and dialogue errors: lufiaworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1386140

pokemon mystery dungeon had this though

Nayuta no kiseki

Nayuta does seasons though, with each level having four variants. It's a pretty good game.

Because it only applied to normal attacks and by that point you have so many powerful spells and abilities that you probably weren't using attacks anymore. Also, the place is pretty easy regardless and the swap doesn't apply to the boss.

I wish more games copied FFX-2's dressphere system because that is probably the best way to do a job system in my imho opinion

So you can see more shit, retard. Duh?

Mountain Blade's block and hit system
Dragon's Dogma monster grab system
Severance: blade of darkness adventuring system
Dark Messiah's mechanics, including that fucking amazing bow with the ropes.
Dragon's Dogma's utterly underrated Pawn system.

The most recent example of this I can think of is the Island trial in Breath of the Wild, but in that case you didn't lose your Sheikah Slate or its gadgets just your weapons, shields, bows, food, clothes and materials.

Underneath this shitty game and its sequel, there's a good idea behind it of allowing your enemies develop and being more of a threat compared to stagnant mooks. I'm hoping a team with more talent and less Judaism would outright copy this system and put in a good game. Hell, even Monolith said it themselves that it isn't even that hard to implement.

Fuck, I knew I forgot something.

In SaGa Frontier, the monster and robots characters can learn or copy the enemies moves. It was the best. To a lesser extent, FFVIII used drawing from enemies, but it was not the best, in fact it was rather lame.

Mechanics where you can increase the reward at the cost of also increasing the risk/challenge.

VIII copied Saga Frontier's budget. Slashed it really. That's something.

Never played any of the SaGa games other than the Gameboy ones. How are the newer ones?

>before the final fight you get to choose between siding with the Judge or sticking with the Batter

Same thing happened to Xenogears.

The newer ones are 3D DS remakes, they're good enough to get fan translations.

Sakaguchi tacked on a lot of plot element shit in FVII from Parasite Eve while he was still developing it, he didn't seem to give too much of a fuck with all the projects they had.

detailed combat in roguelikes, fucking dwarf fortress man - fuck your ebin plate armor i'll throw a stone in your eye or grab a leg, put it in a hold and break it

Dash mechanics in 2D platformers. Pic related and Mischief Makers have it. There's other games I'm sure but I feel like I need it. Also really good color design is nice.

Ytp effects, specially SpaDinner.

Speaking of Curse of the Sinistrals it introduced a "level boost" that you can use when you die. It boosts you by 5 levels without penalty.

Dynamic Difficulty. I'm still surprised no other game that I know of has done something like it.

Chaotix had a day/night system too, object placement changes, some doors open. Could have been an interesting mechanic if it wasn't drowned out by "HURR DURR RNG LEVEL SELECT"

Did you actually read my post you mong?
Have you even played a Third person shooter in your life?

Some Touhou games do that, but they don't explicitly tell you like God Hand does.

Resident Evil 4 does, fittingly since it's the base engine for God Hand. It just doesn't tell you. Some bullet hell shooters do it too.

I beat this game as a teenager, reading this comment makes me wonder how I did it. Maybe I should replay it.

You still have access to healing spells and items to use during your free-action turns, but if what you're fighting is able to do enough damage to take you right back to, if not below, the health you had prior in a single round because you're flubbing your defense, you need to get better at tells and timing. Game's not unbearably hard, but it is one where paying attention, and responding the right way makes things both faster and more manageable. And the game even leaves discovering what enemies can do, and how some aspects of combat even work up to the player's observance (such as a successful counter guard preventing being comboed). That final boss fight took a good five or six attempts for me to beat; was rather pleased at the mixture of how hard it punished screwing the timing for guarding up, as well as still forcing the player to learn and adjust to both its forms on the fly, since if you can't, you're going to die and start the fight over. Was also pleased at discovering that poison actually worked (very well, I might add) on a final boss for once, though I'm not sure if that counts as cheesing or rewarding thinking outside the box of how JRPGs usually are about bosses and status infliction thereof.

Up to you. I first played it a month or two back and thought it was pretty good.

Console X-COM 2's expansion has an identical system for, I think, three enemies, but I doubt those developers would meet your criteria.

Why has no one stolen the dragon gene system from Breath of Fire 3?

Those have a focus on combat over platforming unlike Dustforce, but perhaps you'll like them.

MMX and MMZ, Dark Witch 2, Takkoman, Kreisreise, Lethal Crisis

The latter has 9 different dash moves with different attack/movement properties.

Plenty of games do that, user.

Man to this day Xenogears is one of the most ambitious games I ever played. The plot was one hell of a ride and kept me thinking about it for weeks.

There aren't really that many games that truly blow your mind.

But the point being that you were Batter for the whole game, I don't really remember any other games where for some reason they take away your "agency" as the MC and make you choose between what you were and something else.

Probably because in the end there only a few forms good to use, Dragon and Mammoth an controllable Kaiser. Everything else was pretty shit.

Don't forget having one of the levels be Amazing Mirror, the worst level in any classic Sonic