Space Thread: Lonesome Journey

Welcome to another Space Thread Captains,Admirals and Emperors. So gather around and share your stories,exploits,challanges and goals

So please come in and share in this great space thread. Also a question for the thread, If you could visit any planet from any media what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

oolite.org/
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259311-NO2O!-The-Definitive-List-of-1-7-2-2-Compatible-HUD-Colour-Color-Configs-(please-add-yours!)
wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/
robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
youtube.com/watch?v=6YCOrx-9Aig
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does anybody know if I can play Oolite with a Xinput controller?

oolite.org/

Any games that let you roid rage hard as a swole as fuck character?

and citizens? :^)

Crysis, maybe. You can punch norks to the moon, and kill people by throwing frogs at them.

Oy vey!

What about bearmode?

I wish I could get comfy in space
To have locomotion in any angle with no restrictions
I want the void to engulf me as I witness events of a magnitude that my feeble mind cannot even begin to comprehend.

Is Stellaris a meme or is it worth playing?
How does it compare to say Star Ruler?

You need to stop posting

Make me
To be honest I haven't been active since 2015-ish
I'm outdated

Bear in mind I have never played it but from what I've seen from lets plays and such you could get a game or 2 if you get all of the DLC i.e pirate it and mod it. But it's still not a complete game because of sweedes

gonna get back into elite dangerous now that the ayy shit is finally happening. what's the current broken feature people are exploiting to make money?

I think they've killed more or less everything profitable.

Ur mum lol

Its shit - Skyrim of 4X Space games/ Even with mods you cant repair core game and terrible AI.

The background sim is so large Fdev will never be able to fix and plug every loophole and glitch in the matrix it creates on it's own. Especially since they're spending most of their time on other shit.

Allegiance.

Those crazy dudes put it on steam for free.

Waiting for Thrawn's Revenge 2.2 to be released.

I have every single Stellaris DLC and it still sucks royally compared to Sword of the Stars. The presentation you can get at beginning of the game is good because you can add any species you want with mods, but everything after that is lackluster and clusterfuckery of the highest swedish order.

tl:dr stellaris is a total cuckfuck.

SotS is a weird gem. The game is one of the best examples of low skill floor, and a high skill ceiling because the base 4x gameplay is very simple, but the military side of things has all sorts of cool shit going on, and most broken things have some kind of counter, soft or hard. I wouldn't even consider Stellaris in the same ballpark as SotS.

Chronicles of Riddick obviously. And thanks to cunt that recommended House of the Dying Sun, it was fun.

Discuss.

I hate that I'm cursed to so desperately want something that's mired under so much cancer and autism, but I just want to build cool working shit consistently with friends who enjoy this stuff except those friends don't exist

i hurt

This one looks pretty nice, though. Check the development videos.
Will the frogs save bydiagaems? They already gave us this gem once.

This one looks pretty nice, though. Check the development videos.
Will the frogs save bydiagaems? They already gave us this gem once.

So far the ayyliums are a hit and miss, the CG's about them are arguably garbage and I think fdev is focused more on patching the latest money printing machines than making normal stuff interesting or rewarding.

This looks more than a little bullshotty. If someone finally manages to make a space engineering game which isn't overly dependent on either algorithmically statted boxel function block farms (like Starmade) or boxel hulls with static noncustomizable objects for systems, weapons & turrets (just about everything else) I'll be rather pleased, but I'm not holding my breath, even if I'll take a look at some of the other content.

Didn't we make another one?
Then steal someones borg cube?
Then started building two mega-ships and put fuck-off maga-cannons and turrets on our base.

And then suddenly everyone dissapeared.
I is sad.

I had my fill already

yes where do i go for laughs about star shittizen?

>>>/bane/
For crashes with no survivors.

You missed the last cult gathering sadly. It was pretty fun seeing Roberts sweat like a pig as their highly scripted vertical slice kept crashing and the physics kept bugging out and killing people.

Oh no I saw it, I just thought that these threads would get made more often or like have their own board where more regular updates are on. I just get the info on the cult from here because I don't know where to look for pathetic stories of these cult members.

Try the Star Citizen forums.

ED multiplayer is trash and will continue to be trash until they stop using genuine P2P. Most "P2P" games actually aren't - one random player is secretly designated the host and their instance of the game arbitrates the session.

In a true P2P game like ED and most RTS, every player runs their own instance of the game with zero arbitration and just exchanges "suggestions" to the other players. Which is why ED multiplayer works so poorly. It has an always-online DRM system, and that acts as a limited arbitrator for multiplayer, but nowhere near enough for a stable, secure multiplayer. Hence you had people outright using Cheat Engine successfully online. ED's structure leads to glitchy not-really-synchronized shit that only works half the time if you're lucky.

The reason RTS games get away with P2P is because they are deterministic and lockstep - there is no randomization, and all clients must wait for each other to continue playing. This is why lag in RTS games manifests as freezing rather than rubberbanding, and it's why Sync Errors happen. This works well enough because they aren't immersive action games and is necessary because it drastically reduces their bandwidth. They are the only genre where P2P works.

ED should move away from it asap.

yeah, it does. I'll most probably get it, hopefully we could get a torrent up and have 8/v/ play.
bully for doublepost

I actually remember this. they nudged some tryhard fag's huge ship out of a safezone using smaller ships so they could break into it, and turn it into a MAGA. I'm now even sadder

Treasure Planet game when?

There's Battle At Procyon
Its set some time after the movie, when Jim has joined the Royal Navy, and has nothing to do with the story of the movie, it only borrows a few characters from it.
The game is about a war with a group of furries as Jim gets his first command, and is essentially a naval combat simulator set in that universe. Only restriction is that the ships are stuck moving in 2d.
If you know the original SotS, you will recognise the combat system since its the same people who made both.

That actually looks fun

Are there any comfy space exploration games post 2005?
You know
Just ship, space maybe crew, quality ambient and tons of shit to do.
Also pls gib more comfy space gondolas

>got rebel Galaxy with origin access

It's not so bad if you don't think of it as a dogfighting in space and instead think of it as sea ships in space.

Don't think of it as a traditional space combat game, think of it as age of sail frontier buccaneering, with broadside ships of the line, or maybe pre-dreadnought era naval dickswinging in the second world, that just so happens to take place in space. It's an enjoyable experience, if not an incredibly deep one due to being a two-man garage studio project under constraints time constraints from throwing together everything with sweat, grit and chewing gum. And a kinect for motion capture, I guess.

The gameplay is a bit iffy though.
In order to shoot your ships weapons you gotta point and click at enemy ship, each time separately for each salvo.
Oh and it won't bother telling you when your guns have reloaded, so it turns into a match of you clicking at enemy ship frantically over and over again till it is dead.
Or you could try boarding, but first you sohuld try and blow up enemy ships sails which are one of the things you can target with your guns.

Not quite.
You have the sidebar that shows you your ships weapons. It also shows you which guns are reloaded or reloading.
The reason you have to click enemy ships to fire a shot is because of the targeting system. The shot will be aimed at the pixel you clicked, which is how you target specific parts of your target, like rudders, sails, engines or gun decks, all of which have different effects on the target if destroyed. Sails are the most obvious, due to the big drop in speed and because they are very vulnerable, but shooting out the rudder of a man'o'war and leaving it unable to turn is also a good way to force it out of a fight and taking out the decks with the most firepower is a good way to leave an enemy helpless.
There's a ton of little things like that you can do once you get a bit of practice in.
As an alternative, you have a button next to the formations buttons, that fires all your guns at any targets they can find on their own, if you don't want to make useful decisions about where to fire.

i should have played the game in the pc…

i would understand steam, but that shit is the devil, user.
Also give the game a try, its fun

WHEN'S OUTER WILDS

do you have the OST mega link?

How's Rogue System yet?

I was there for round 2 and part of round 3, though not for round 1; 1 & 3 took place on the same server while 2 was on a different one in the interim. As I recall, it was a rough start of us getting more or less immediately given the whack-a-mole treatment by a tryhard slav autist with a suprecapital, jumping us and making a nuisance of himself because it's hard not to notice a faction of tens of people showing up out of nowhere. I don't know how far we progressed before everyone said fuck that noise and moved to a new server, which is when I joined in.

At that point, we once again set out into the absolute boonies to establish ourselves, with some logic block autists- bless their hearts- building an absolutely gigantic cubic mega-factory, which was to serve as the heart of an interim station while we figured out what we wanted as a home base. Said interim station expanded out into a bunch of flat catwalk drydocks and a mega-turret; ugly but functional. Initially, the administrators were very happy to have a sudden massive influx of people (I think we had 50 members, of which at least 40 were active and 20 religiously contributing in some way, either ferrying new people to our home in goofy shuttles, getting resources or engaging in a megaproject with said resources) and were gregarious suck-ups. Then, as the sheer enormity of our plans dawned on them- our nominal Great Leader, whoever that was, inquired about whether it'd be okay to make a Death Star in two docked halves around a space station and was immediately told 'fuck no!'- and their noses wrinkled at such antics as planet cracking at all hours of the afternoon to night by myself & others, the lamentation of a lost swastika ship (this was my bad, I was testing it as a potential power layout while I was feeling out how to work with the power cube system and it glitched out, flying into the void, and I naively didn't think they'd be flagrantly spying on our faction chat when I wept over it; I did somehow find it in the void later, though) and the more or less single-handed overloading of their potato server.

And then, if I'm not mistaken, autislav returned, because apparently he was a notorious shithead and cross-server dongmeister instead of a monoserver dongmeister and was of a mind to pursue us, but regardless another supercapital appeared on our doorstep to whack us in our formative stage, because reasons. The server crashed midway through the basically pointless engagement, since our home station was invincible with almost every ship docked and our superturret kept popping out of its gimbal (which I ungracefully shouted about, I still don't understand what glitched out) after which some people that were buzzing over his bridge as he single-mindedly shelled the station (maybe hoping to get player kills for a very slight nudge towards home station vulnerability) got stranded outside their ships. A couple had the idea to bump his ship with some little tug-tier ships so he couldn't immediately jump back in the core block and nuke us if he happened to not get as fucked over as some of us did, at which point we were admonished while the admins teleported autislav back into his ship while we had to eat shit and slowly jetpack back.

The whole time autislav is talking mad shit, cursing like a sailor and linguistically wiggering it up with his favorite interspersings of 'lol' and 'bitches' while we argue with the staff over the favoritism, at which point they start admonishing us for cursing in their 'E for everyone server, there are children here :^)' with an insufferably smug self-awareness of what they were engaging in with this farce. Some of us, including myself, continue to specifically curse them out and demand they act as their position demands in equal enforcement of the supposed rules- out of spite far more than any faith that they'd be anything other than dumb cunts- and then get dunked out of the server with kicks & bans. Afterwards, we leave the server, which falls into shambles from the amount of strain & damage we'd done to the servers and which this event had presumably done to the people that could tolerate twilight hour lag but not fagmins, and suddenly they no longer had a playerbase.

Round 3, much the same starting out, except we'd returned to the first server which was quite receptive to the large increase in playerbase and had been looking for an excuse to remove autislav for a long time now, which they did. There are some large-scale construction operations of a home station in the middle of nowhere as was our habit, some grand theft auto, I made a ship and then couldn't get in as the blueprint corrupted & the game crashed for some unidentifiable reason that killed my desire to start over constructing it, and bickerings with a different tryhard faction of unfun shitters bent on autismblocks PvP. Then somebody logged into one of the admin accounts after testing it out of curiosity and finding they had NOT registered their name as exclusively theirs and had no password for the server specific name login either and all hell broke loose as the user responsible spawned two Space Battleship Yamatos and went on a rampage, registered the admins' name, and then left with the damage done.

tl;dr we attempted to engage in minor mischief and autistic construction projects but were forced to deal with far worse brands of autists & fagmins who wanted to wag their dicks and eliminate competition that was at such a scale it would eventually make them irrelevant, and in the process destroyed two entire servers that may never have recovered in the aftermath. I know the last time I checked one of them, guilty server number 2 no longer existed. I just wanted to make kitschy Iron Sky space nazi ships, but instead all that happened.

Fuck I remember that shit
You forgot the part where they figured out where we were from.

The newest foray went pretty well from what I remember. Anons got shit form putting a massive swastika on the station, but thats not surprising. Some fag came because he wanted to test out his ship. He got a face full of the main gun and fucked right off.
Starmades alright I guess, I hate how its all based on the amount of blocks you can shove inside a ship.

If it was just the number of blocks, it'd actually be more tolerable, since you could plop whatever wherever. The problem is that they half-assed having a component design system by making everything about groups of the standard 1meter-by-1meter block keyed to different functions, designed such that power systems have particular demands (namely, every block must increase the cubic volume of its group of blocks or else it is essentially wasted from a standpoint of efficiency, making for various funky skeletal shapes that demand ship shape be designed around them) and weapons demand to be placed & grouped together in particular fashions as disproportionately huge conglomerations of primary, secondary and maybe tertiary blocks to get something actually effective. At the same time, some block placements simply don't matter at all, like thrusters; perhaps as a result of this, the simplistic trade-off tuning system of acceleration and maneuverability on different axises combined with turning radius getting not insubstantially and arbitrarily worse as dimensions increase means that your ship will either maneuver like a brick or take a year to get up to speed, which due to the engine being unoptimized dreck was something like early WW2 monoplane speed, hardcapped. If you're being optimal about it, some kind of featureless deathcube is probably the best thing you could ever construct. Unless your design is supercap scale, there's neither reason to have more than the barest and solely player access-centric interior, nor can you afford to incorporate one anyways, so everything is just a solid mass of intermingled stuff with a corridor along each axis (at most) to four access hatches leading to the ship core.

That Skywanderers thing I was skeptical about earlier in the thread seems like it might address some of these grievances amongst others, either presently or theoretically but I don't have another big text block in me right this second to shill it.

pleeeease will you user? I was thinking about dismissing it but what do you think it will do better?

This is the kind of genre I like but I never see done well.

have you ever been so much of a kike you were salvaging ships by the dosen right from under capital ship fire?

Elite Dangerous and Space Engine
Although neither has crews and one barely has spaceships.

what game

It's too late for them to move away from it. The only way for them would be to make a single-player spin-off of ED, which I hope they do. Their retarded implementation of MP hamstrung the game so much it wasn't worth it.

It's funny you say that cause the only reason Fdev can still milk the game is cause of the multiplayer. Half of the content in the game (arguably more) is generated by the playerbase and they are the only reason players come back between updates.
And it has gotten better, wings lets you create instances with up to about 100 if you really try, but at that point you're making the amazon servers scream mercy and everyone ingame will notice delays. I'm hoping with squadrons the guild carrier ships will be an instance anchor point for anyone in the guild or perhaps a way for someone with great internet to mark themselves as a host and more traffic be loaded onto them when necessary. It's a shit way to do multiplayer but there are ways they can improve it drastically if they spent the time.
although if they'll spend any time besides minor improvements to it is the question, fuck multicrew needs work

Is Endless Space 2 functional yet, or should I wait for the first expansion?

Apologies for not getting to you earlier user, Holla Forums died and by the time it came back I had other priorities of things to jump back to & forgot to check back here entirely. To keep myself from having to either plumb back through a fair few videos or else reference things you might not be able to readily find, as well as emphasizing the sheer progress made in even the earliest steps by the lone frog, I'll mostly use the very first four numbered gameplay videos at the bottom of the official channel as references through summary, which you can check over in the relevant videos (very simply titled Gameplay #01-04, a format that is then abandoned for devlogs accompanied by ship reviews and a couple 'Skywanderers Presents' for major feature framework additions in the form of ringworlds, tank control battletech mechs+oversized player control style gundams, and hovercraft) if it please you. Apologies in advance for the volume, I'll let the subject rest with just the one textwall in two or so posts.

First, from video 1: construction at first appears to be nothing special as he demonstrates the placement of standard 1x1m blocks of different shapes. This swiftly changes as he moves to an interior door, which is demonstrated as completely player constructed; it consists of a rail on which the door moves, the thin door itself, and slightly less thin wall blocks that the door noclips into by design. The door itself is operated by a button, the two of which are visually linked with a simple click-and-drag function rather than the traditional cumbersome logic menu. Presumably, said logic menu will also make an appearance for when it is more useful than the spartan setup, but this is a nice change. More complex logic is physically existent in the form of circuit panels using the stud system- basically a lego block surface that can be applied to blocks, which can then play host to certain function panels or small greebley detail blocks- and is demonstrated with an automatically linked exterior hatch & delayed elevator. This uses the same click-and-drag system to link & define functions, and is neither as troubling to the uninitiated as a naked logic menu or god forbid gigantic computer circuit redstone, nor is it as invisible as the former or as hugely physically cumbersome as the latter. Shows off the stars, extolls them all as 'real' which won't seem too convincing just yet, then demonstrates a larger cargo door and then a holomap. Said map shows what appears to be a 1:1 scale galaxy, eventually zooming into a more reasonable galactic cluster. Shows off some bland interiors of the freighter test ship, then starts moving towards his target, coming up to 3 kilometers per second before video end.

In short, a very quick look at the spartanly simple but still reasonably versatile logic functions, a very long sought after granular construction aspect for detailing and the ability for segregation of what should be smaller & larger pieces, the ability for a fair degree of block overlap to create some interesting shapes, and a hint of the sheer optimized scale. When others in the genre have biplane to monoplane tier KPH counts for space ships and jet fighters, having a kilometer per second scale of speed is very encouraging.

Video 2, dubbed Exploration: frog begins rapidly traveling towards a space station, at 40,000 kilometers out. Converting to hyperdrive mode, the ship rapidly begins to accelerate from tens of kilometers per second to hundreds until capping out at one megameter per second. The relative speed of approach to the ring of the gas giant the station is hidden in- a planetary ring which is very much to scale as the approach demonstrates, with the only possible gripe being a transitional pop-in of the ring's asteroids, excusable for a pre-pre-alpha at the presumable beginning of publicized development one year ago- and then docks, a process which is neither the overly easy Starmade style tractor snap-on nor an unautomated simulative system that demands perfect alignment, but instead an autoaligning system that demands reasonable initial accuracy, but then will very slowly maneuver itself into place. He then demonstrates the artificial gravity system, with a sliding switch console dictating how high or low it is.

In short; things are apparently very big and very optimized. You can normally have one or the other in boxel games, but it appears to presently have both.

The first of the videos and the channel, apologies, ought to have linked the first one in the first post.

Video 3, he shows off the stud system and the smaller bricks, as well as what can be placed with this system. The display is mostly just some modular seating, verging on decorative stuff, but it gets a better showing in the next video as to how important it is for creating control panels, and in later construction videos as to how sheerly robust it is for detailing. After that, he goes on to showcase an early version of turret construction, which is painlessly simple and involves merely the configuration of two rotator blocks & their connecting parts, a gun, a camera block, and a logic panel & console with the correct links to control it from the camera's perspective, although you can also manually control the turret with or without a camera simply by operating the rotators/turret body. The following weapon demonstration is mostly meaningless, as there is no developed system at this point- later videos will show multiple gun barrels on top of each other if I recall, but blessedly in the lack of a developed weapon system there's neither an Empyrion style static weapon collection or a finnicky Starmade algorithmic block group system, and seemingly no priority for there to be one before more important underlying hard engine work is done- but his chunky turret designs are kind of neat to look at, Ig guess.

In short: itty bitty blocks a fraction of the 1x1 standard go on lego studs. They're neat. Turrets aren't a pain in the ass to contrive on the mechanical or logic level. That's also neat.

Video 4, the stud system gets a far more useful showing off through the construction of a holomap operation console. The robustness of the basic display consoles in giving whatever relevant information there is for whatever function block they're linked to is very evident. Three readout screens are shown, one analog and two holoscreens, showing some nice redundancy in visual & functional blocks. Afterwards, he constructs another new panel in the cargo bay, and shows off different command & switch types, sliding one of the bay doors by percents at a time. Then, constructs a traditional open/close switch with one input button & two output buttons, showing off that the doors are properly independent functions as they open & close out of sync til her resyncs them. He briefly shows off a rotating embarkment ramp, which moves only so far to a restricted stopping point, then shows off some very basic slide switch use on a rotating brick & slider. Not to do anything useful, just to show off how it can be used. And then a laser sensor that activates when a player directly interferes with it, which he uses to spin a chair.

In short; stud system proves to not just be a meme function for detail blocks but is useful for making very dense function block & logic groups, said function blocks seem to be focused on meshing with as many other things as possible in simplistic enough fashions that it's trivial to retrofit, and in spite of the seeming simplicity the function blocks are still quite customizable and easily so.

Those first four very early dev videos are what made me click more around the channel, though I skipped past some of the very feature specific devlogs at the time for the slightly flashier stuff like the TIE Fighter construction video which showcases the excellent constructional functionality from start to finish, particularly the fact that there is no 1x1m construction grid- granular/stud blocks are built & fitted directly on top of other granular blocks unlike Starmade and others, thin walls don't magically take up phantom space like a full block which in spite of how simple it sounds is a huge advance to shaping, especially when combined with the allowance for block overlap under various circumstances- as those first four were already quite encouraging in showing the developers' rather clear ethic of getting the foundations laid before moving on further. There's absolutely nothing resembling a game yet, and while it might sound paradoxical, this is actually exactly what I want to see; everything is hardline engine expansion work, with zero consideration for the survival gameplay (which would be increasingly agonizing to fit new things into or around) until such time as it is feature foundation complete. My strongest grievance with this genre is in the constant appearance of half-designed systems and stymied development followed by a drip feed of unrevolutionary extra things in survival mode, not meaningful ones, just new grindgates, half-finished biomes, or a handful of new items that supplant the previous ones or languish uselessly. It looks like the frog is handily sidestepping all of these, for now at least.

I haven't played it yet but I think you should wait user

Frontier has no idea what to do with ED, they are simply going on with the wave. Multicrew shows how much they aren't able to break out of the corner they have coded themselves in. It is a textbook example of wasted potential, instead of sticking to what they knew to do best, they fell for the multiplayer meme and we are now stuck with nothing more than randomly generated boxes in space. You can see the seams of the game everywhere.

Looks like X.

Duke Nukem 3D, you can even use steroids.

I managed to figure out how to colonize planet, but not build it up. I like what I've played so far.

They know exactly what they're doing with E:D. Update the game with a minimal team ever so slowly and use the funds made to continue to fund the rest of Frontier's projects. On multicrew they haven't written themselves into a corner at all it completely comes down to how much time they're willing to spend to fix their shit and combine systems instead of layering them on top.
Fuck the amount of coding autism that has gone into their galaxy generation engine and other certain parts of the game demonstrate they are capable, they just have a habit of splitting their ~100 team up and having half of them work on something super intensive like the character creator or previously their airless planet tech and then leaving the rest of the team to provide content in the meantime.
Multicrew was shit because Sandro demanded they implement a half assed implementation of the feature which was promised a year before because he has a hard on for keeping said promises no matter how crap the implementation, this is why they've dropped working on new shit to fix "core features" over the next year.

ED multiplayer doesn't work that way. There isn't a host. It's true P2P. Everyone runs their own game and does their own arbitration and just exchanges reports to the other clients on actions taken, damage claimed, that sort of thing, which they accept or reject.

Yeah well, I'll believe they can fix the game when I see it. For now, I don't see how they can really do it without rewriting the whole game, everything is too broken. As of now, if someone came up to me and told me the BGS was in fact an intern messing with an excel sheet each night I would believe him. I'm one of the suckers with a LEP so I can wait and see, but I have 0% hope in FD, as of now they have acted like headless chickens with Elite.

By the way, if the webm is yours, can you post the color scheme?

actually you're wrong it is a mix of everything. Players from the UK/Europe when they are the ones to start an instance will generally mean better performance in that instance. As well frontier's (amazons) servers actually process and check a whole bunch of shit including system information, active missions, unknown signal sources, npcs in your instance and other stuff. It's why when you get people making 100 player instances the entire playerbase notices a slowdown as the 100 player instance is pumping a huge amount of data through Fdev's servers.
Actually I think almost all p2p data between players is routed through Fdev's servers for checks and stuff before hitting the destination player.

1, 0.64, 0.46
0.21, 0.79, 0.41
-0.22, -0.1, 0.34
pulled from here
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259311-NO2O!-The-Definitive-List-of-1-7-2-2-Compatible-HUD-Colour-Color-Configs-(please-add-yours!)

Thanks bruh, may your Engineers roll be good.

Wish there was a space game that focused on space combat in first person more akin to Submarine warfare sort of like how Star Trek originally was.

Pulsar?

God, I miss messing around with you fags.

And everyone stop coming AFTER I was well into my mega-ship.
EVERY TIEM

That was fun.

This one might actually be nice. I just hope the weapons scale with size.

there's nothing I hate more than a game where I can have my big, powerful, armored battelship tripple turrets.

There was some old scifi pulp story I read a while ago where starship captains would use stop watches and count flashes on a super-magnified screen to register torpedo hits because of all the jamming and radio interference in space.
I can't remember the name but it gave me a boner.

That might funny enough be Star Trek. Especially Earth-Romulan war stories.

Been playing sword of the stars for a bit, any tips for ship building? Load outs and shit? how many I should keep in my fleet?

Experiment with ship setups and pay close attention to what the enemy brings.
Most of the weapons have different strengths and weaknesses that make them ideal for dealing with specific kinds of enemies.

Missiles and kiting early on, but they end up next to useless once the enemy has PD.
Another advantage missiles have in the early game is that you don't need to upgrade your ships every time you get a better version of them. Missile Warhead and engine upgrades are applied to all ships with missile launchers.
Missiles make for terrible weapons for brawling or dealing with a ton of DD's, since they fire slowly and tend to massively overkill one target while leaving the rest unscathed.

Energy cannons (plasma/fusion/AM) are good against larger targets since they aren't too accurate and their projectiles aren't the fastest in the world, but they do good damage. Try to find the sweetspot, range wise, since they do most damage around the middle of their range, with short and long range reducing their damage.
Heavyy versions fire the same shots as the regular types, but in 3 shot salvo's and with much more range. Heavy AM is one of the best weapons in the game due to range and firepower if you can field enough of them.

Lasers are good for anti destroyer work, being accurate and their projectiles being fast, they can even hit incoming missiles or drones, but their damage is kinda lowish, so they take long to chew through cruisers or bigger targets. Once the enemy fields mostly cruisers or bigger, drop them for PD instead.

Massdrivers are shit. They hit hard but easily deflect harmlessly and have terrible accuracy. Use alternatives if possible.
One thing massdrivers can do however, especially the big ones, is push the enemy. Hits from the big ones will regullarly send enemy cruisers spinning out of control and pushing away even dreadnaughts.

AP drivers are good medium to long range weapons, suffer little from deflection and are accurate. They don't hit too hard without neutronium alloys, but they make for decent basis weapons against all sizes of targets, though lategame they will be outclassed by energy weapons.

Beams are good heavy hitters, especially antiproton and messon, ignore the graviton and tractor unless you want to use their gimmick. Beams are aimed with perfect accuracy and are hitscan, so they can pick off the hardest to hit targets with ease, but their range is generally limited and only go in the large turret slots that you may not get many off. Some race, humans and Morrigi mostly, get cruisers that can field a ton of them, and a cruiser with 5 messon beams can kill practically anything.

Emitters are lightning guns. They jump from target to target, within their range, good for hitting groups of missiles or desteroyers, but their rate of fire and damage is badly lacking. Medium and heavy versions are godlike destroyer killers, especially against groups of enemies, the weapon also fires like a beam, so perfect accuracy and hitscan.
Minor caveat, the arcing form target to target never takes it beyond its max range from the ship, so against missiles it tends to only hit the first missile in a salvo, so don't expect them to outpreform PD against missiles.

Heavy Beams are for anti dreadnaught work mostly. Some ship designs can make them effective against cruisers, but their usefullness requires micromanagement and falls of dramatically once you are at brawling range.
Some races, Liir and Morrigi, can fit an insane number of these guns on a single cruiser, using lancer or better beams, such ships can kill cruisers advancing on them before the enemy can return fire. Very effective, but requires careful use of formation and micromanagement of target assignment to be useful.

That should cover the basic weapons, there's also lot of gimmick weapons like the chakra things that scale their damage with armor, effectively removing the bonus of armoring ships, shield breaker cannons that do exactly what the name implies, even gravitic shields and deflectors that normally cannot be turned off, thumper rounds that fuck with enemy movement and so on.

continued
Defences come in 3 types, EW, the subtle kind, armor the less subtle kind and shields, the obvious kind.

Shields have a set amount of HP, depending on the type, when broken they remain down for an amount of time, depending on the quality of the shield, before being restored at full hp.
They are a great way to make your ships tougher against stray fire, but won't cut it if the enemy is focusing on your ships with real firepower.
They also tend to take damage a lot faster than the ship itself, since they are bigger than the ship and won't deflect anything.
Some shields, deflectors, disruptors and graviton, can't be broken no matter how much fire they take, but these types block only some certain types of attacks, depending on the shield. The most important is the deflector, which is immune to kinetic and missile damage, but has no effect on any kind of energy weapons.
Against all kinds of shields, prioritize hitting the targets bridge section, since the shield disappears when the section making it breaks.
Shields also require a section of your ship be dedicated to making the shield, so they will cut into the amount of firepower your ships have, and dreadnaughts are too big to be shielded, they can use deflectors though, and dreadnaughts cannot loose individual sections, so you can't just break the shield by shooting out its section.

Armor is your most important defence. It gives you a flat HP bonus to the section its on based on the armors quality, up to doubling the HP with adamantium.
Armor also improves the chance of incomming kinetic projectiles deflecting harmlessly, this scales up with quality and even low quality armor make massdrivers nearly unable to hurt you. The regular kind anyway, AP will also deflect, but not anywhere near as often.
Mirrored armor doesn't improve the sections HP, but gives a chance for lasers to deflect.

The last type of defence is EW. Jammers, wild weasels and the EW dreadnaught section.
Jammers make a sensor shadow around the ship, similar to big asteroids, stopping enemies from seeing what is under it on the tactical map, Its main function is to prevent missiles from homing in on any ship under the shadow.
Wild Weasels try to redirect enemy missiles that come nearby to themselves. If covered in PD they can protect an entire formation of ships from missiles and torpedoes. They also fill the tactical map around them with ghost targets, but this only works on players, not AIs. Both prevent the enemy from seing the number of ships in your fleets on the strategic map, making for easy decoys.
DN EW sections combine Jammers and Wild Weasels with another ability, they will redirect some of the missiles that target them back at the enemy. Not often, but it does happen.

Cloaking sections can also be used as a defence, but only the improved cloaking ones, as regular cloaking sections drop cloak when they fire, making your ship vulnerable.
Keep in mind that the AI with try to blindfire at the last place it has seen shots from your ships coming from, so keep your ships moving.

Stealth armor makes your ship invisible beyond visual range, so only to the tactical map, and does nothing once the enemy has a ship close enough to spot you visually. It doesn't give any deflection chance or HP either. Its only real use is strategically, as it lowers the range enemies can spot the fleet on, on the strategic map.

Advanced Sensors can spot cloaked ships, but not stealth armored ships nor beat jammers or wild weasels. DN EW sections also include Advance Sensors.
Personally I prefer to always have at least one ship in every fleet with advanced sensors, but the section is fragile and nearly unarmed, so don't put it on the frontline fighters.

PS
One last thing I forgot was Torpedo weapons. They come in 2 types, nonhoming, which work like a cannon with really long range, usually doing only very little damage, and the homing kind, which does increasing damage the longer it has travelled and do limited splash damage. AM torpedoes can hit insanely hard, allowing a ship with enough of them, to kill enemy cruisers, if they don't have too much armor, with one salvo. Liirian Assault/Barrage cruisers are very good for this kind of tactics, but it requires a lot of micromanagement of your targets or they will overkill the first thing they see and be left unable to shoot anything else for the next 30 seconds, just like missiles.
The homing torpedoes can be shot down, like missiles, but they are a lot tougher and thus harder for enemy PD to take down. Not sure if wild weasels can redirect them either.
The gimmick variant of the homing torpedoes does its damage over a fairly large area, but this is rarely enough to splash over multiple cruisers.
EMP torpedoes shut down enemy ships, the bigger the target the shorter the time, and come in guided and unguided variants.

continued
There's more gimmicks of different types, like snot missiles DF racks and the crazy OP Absorber sections and so on, so these posts are by no means everything you need to know.

The wiki has all the hard stats on ship sections and weapons. Keep in mind that the raw data doesn't show how well different weapons work or how good turret cover for different sections is. Only experience can teach you this, hence the importance of experimenting.
wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page

As far as design advice, there's no hard rules. Many of the weapons are useful against only certain types of enemies and some defences can render certain weapons all but completely useless, so you always want to consider what the enemy is bringing when you design your ships.

As for fleet composition, this depends on what the enemy brings, again, but there are some guidelines here. CNC ships are a must in any fleet you want to have anywhere near a fight. CNC not only determines how many ships you can field, but also what order they arrive on the battlefield in. You can change the order in the middle of a battle if you want to, but only if you have a CNC on the battlefield. If you don't the ships in your fleet will arrive in a completely random order.
Consider keeping a space CNC ship in fleets, just in case the one on the field gets shot.
Repair and tankers/refinery ships are a must in any fleet that isn't sitting on one of your own planets, since it will otherwise be unable to repair or refuel. I prefer to keep more than one repair ships in any fleet if possible, how many depends on how tough my fleets frontline ships are and what race I'm playing, since some races get more repair points than others from their repair ships.
Refineries are better than tankers, since they can eat planet resources to produce fuel in neutral systems, giving your fleets FAR more range.
DN support sections do the job of both repair and refinery ships, but cost far more than needed for the role. They are useful for hiver players though, as a single DN only costs twice the gate allowance of a cruiser,
The frontline of a fleet depends entirely on what I expect them to fight, but I always put a few more ships into a fleet than it can field, in case of ships being destroyed in battle.

Lastly, keep your races style in mind. Human ships tend to be allrounder, but are slow and a bit fragile if unarmored, liir ships have insane manuverbility but barely any weapons bigger than the smallest turrets and next to no HP, but they get really good specialists, like their barrage/blazer ships which carry more torpedoes and heavy beams than nearly anyone else, zuul ships are fast but fragile and tend to have a ton of guns, tarka are speedy, have tough and heavily armed bridge sections, but vulnerable and squishy engines and aren't too great at getting tech, hiver ships are flying bricks covered in guns. They accelerate slowly, have a decent top speed, more guns than nearly anyone and very tough ships, but they have some of the worst odds for getting tech, and morrigi ships are OP as fuck, but really pricey.

How do you create a Mighty Spank Force in space who's mission is to seek out new loli's and spank them like they have never been spanked before?

I now have a dreadnought is sword of the stars, and the railgun mission section. Tine to shoot shit to death. Also ehat the fuxk is up with these swarmer assholes? They are everywhere.

They multiply if you leave them alone.
Swarmers are pretty easy to deal with if you have enough PD. Alternatetly, lasers and small emitters will also make short work of them.
Railguns are easier to aim from cruiser sections, but a DN works fine, especially for bombarding enemy DN's. Don't be afraid to leave the DN behind while other frontline ships advance on the enemy, those guns have a crazy huge range so it can still bombard enemy ships without being close enough for the enemy to shoot at it.

Chieftain looks an awful lot like the raza.

I want it.

I remember playing one game where I pumped the systems and resources up to the max and ended up spending a good one hundred turns fighting those fuckers. Once I ended up fighting a real enemy it didn't turn out so well because I didn't have the fleet ready to fight anything of any real substance. Turns out africanized bees are a bit less threatening than actual starships.

Grand menaces are something else. I think the peacekeeper will fuck off after a bit, unlike some of the others, but it has a truly ridiculous weapon set up.

Don't underestimate a good photon torpedo spam. They have good range and RoF. Fire Control section is a good combo, since accuracy is vital.

Also, do note that various lasers and beamers are not always just direct upgrades. Some have quirks.
IIRC, X-rays lasers have far lower reflection rates.

Beamers are great for anti-fiter, since they are hitscan. They have shit for range, so good for brawling.

Get hyped cause it's the first of several alliance ships that will probably use that aesthetic, maybe even a new capital ship.

I'm willing to put money on all of that being prerendered to look like gameplay.

X3 Terran Conflict with mods as far as I can tell.

reunion, terran conflict, or albion prelude

TC

I mean if you look at the rest of the videos on the channel.
it's clearly not.

Protip against hivers:

When they charge your planet, target their engines. Hivers de-acceleration is utter shit, if you take out the engines, they will crash into your planet, blowing up instantly.

You will loose some civilian population, but you'll gain resources :)

I actually didn't mean to have that flag on.

I gotta say upgrading straight from m6 to m1 in terms of firepower feels gud

do you 'member me?

Anyone played Everspace?

Did you get his insurance number user?

Yeah, I had some fun with it, but I think it could have done without the clone stuff or I guess you could call it story. I know the user who I first saw talking about it was saying he found it too easy, but since I am shit at it, its a decent challenge for me.

Ofcourssss

Ready for your next GOTY, anons?!

I have a hard time seeing it becoming more of a fuckup than SC3 was, but damn it if they're going to rely on player made content it might.
>mfw toys for bob will never get their IP back

i got a Wildstar flashback for a moment

I went from excited to dejected in exactly one webm.

you're wrong, they are literally making a SC2 sequel right now dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

Wait what? Holy fuck.

Anyone getting the overpowering urge to Remove Slug?

DO NOT REMIND ME AN0N.

I'm tempted to jump back in, but I know I will find the server gone or empty.

You took that screenshot before we stole the Borg Cube - the giant turret on top the base is still incomplete, and we got it after that. I think.

Before we left the serb, I'm pretty sure we took everything apart so the shitters couldn't make any use of the stuff.

I don't even remember what server that was on and I don't think that server is even alive anymore anyway
been "playing" it in singleplayer for a little bit, as in wrestling my barebones skeletal mining ship out of a planet core and getting tired of it
still want to build a nice looking station with a shipyard, a factory and a shop

it was fun but not very deep. don't play on hard, it's not actually harder just grindier

I hate that when games do that. Almost as bad as when devs make Hard mode tedious and annoying rather than difficult i.e. remove all valid tactics bar a few cheese meta tactics that you must repeat constantly or lose. I want to be challenged not annoyed.

I understand exactly what you are saying user. Nerfing my weapon's damage,lowering my health and Giving the enemy aim bot and 100000hp is not challenging, its annoying. Why don't devs understand this?

Thread needs some Homeworld.

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE

So is Elite: Dangerous the best space exploration game? Besides good old Space Engine, of course.

Compared to everything else yes?
Is it the best ever? Probably not.
be nice if they could fucking get atmospheric worlds done already
Gas Giants will be cool though when that's done.

Guys, I just had a dream I owned a clunky but functional space ship, eventually got a license for it, then took it up into the sky and went to space. After that I explored the great unknown for hours and it felt amazing. What is a game that lets me experience this?

I'd also take a game that allows me to pilot a ship and walk around said ship. Really, I just want to feel like I'm flying a ship in space.

Your best bet is probably Elite Dangerous, sadly.
Not many games are like you're describing. Space is pretty neglected.
Which is all part of the Jewish ploy to prevent us from pushing for development of space, which would progress our civilization and help us become a Tier 1 species - which they don't want because we'd have a post scarcity society and at that point money =/= power.
We have the technology to take ET home but we'll never see it, potentially hundreds of years, if not millenia.

well if all you want to do is walk around your space ship while it flies in space there's always Star Citizen. Problem comes when you get board of walking around in your ship and want something to do with it.

I'm keeping an eye on Rodina and it might be what you're looking for, but it's still in early access so I've yet to play it. Updates from devs seem regular, but I fear it might be one of those never evers unfortunately.

that's the shadow of the rings user

its a shame we don't have any games where you as a fleet commander on your flagship can watch the battle from your bridge legend of the galactic heroes tier, you would get that spinetingling feeling when you see a battleship to your side explode and its parts hitting your ship or its shields, there was a game called Flagship that came close to this though but was never released/delayed infinity

what other cool things are we lacking in space vidya?

I'm kinda hoping skywanders makes this a possibility.

first time I have heard of this, looks promising, looks like its a better version of starmade with better graphics, and hopefully better gameplay too, even has mecha, time to check out some more gameplay and info

Looks like its time to start the cycle all over again

ED is max comfy. SE is only comfy on a good mid-level populated serb with some hardcore survival starts. Look for one with 30 to 50 mods max.

Especially with Stargate mod you feel important building gateways everywhere.

i cant

The only game that gets close to it is pulsar, get rock hard sometimes seeing my shots hitting the enemy vessel as I sit in my command chair or when I run up to a window to view it.

almost forgot about that game, haven't played it in ages, waiting till a few updates are done,it is definitely cool to see things happen outside the window, especially when you pass large space structures or entities, and ofcourse seeing the combat

neverending

You mean like Flagship?

Didn't the Kickstarter for this fail?

Yeah but they are still working on it surprisingly. Scaling it back so they aren't biting off more they can chew. It would actually be nice to see them succeed but I wouldn't hold my breath since we all know how indie kekstarter shit goes.

That looks like shit.

they seem to have only slow progress, with a few updates here and there, imo they are spending too much time making it vr friendly instead of developing the game, especially as vr failed and few people actually have headsets

sound/music and ship designs - both exterior(inb4 cgi) and interior look great, be glad they got production i.g to animate it, characters look terrible though, but lets wait till next year as you might be correct

You're full of shit, that is the worst ship designs they could have gone with. I was looking for LoGH not PSO2.
I'd be happier if it was never announced in the first fucking place. Looking at this trailer is like spitting in my face. They ruin the lasers, make ships like PSO2. I fail to see how any of this looks good. Also generic orchestral music.

A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M

Oberstein, stop shitposting and get your eyes fixed.

The Precursors is the game you want.

That's got to be worth a reply.

They're still working on that?

Yeah for ages and they're finally getting it into beta.

*alpha

Looks pretty good, thanks!

Huh for those who don't want to watch the whole thing.
It's going to be mostly combat focused. The goal is to take over the solar system, there are three teams made up of both npcs and players (Red, Blue, Green) with roughly 100 players per serb as the end goal. Once the solar system is conquered by a team (by taking over bases, infrastructure and supply lines) the round will end and it will reset. At the moment only the position of bases and space stations will change between rounds. Ships available range from small interceptors to a variety of cap ships. It looks like the player can fly all of them although I'm not sure if they will all be solo piloted by a single player. The carrier class cap ship will be able to spawn smaller vessels.
Wonder how long a round will average out to be.

ok,not the best, a bit too shiny, but thanks to modern tech they can do all kinds of lightning effects so maybe thats why, they have only shown us a bit of the side and front but maybe it works out
do have to agree with this
weren't they supposed to be laser 'cannons', so these are actually firing concentrated energy one after another, in the 80s they couldn't quite show it

m-mein kaiser

lets just wait and see guys, since we are talking about legend of the galactic heroes, maybe this series will get us a pretty good space strategy game, think positive

i like the freedom ships, but dislike the imps ships, goldhairkid ship is ok.
If the music is not classical music, im going full allah ackbar in their HQ

Space Engine 1.0 fucking when

Just give it to me straight user, there is nothing out there that can fill this void for a galactic space conquest is there?
I can't believe how much Oberstien did nothing wrong.

You mean other than framing Reuenthal for a revolt, angering him so much that he did revolt, costing the emperor one of his highest ranked officers?
Because it seems like all that did was get a good officer killed for no real reason.

Pragmatism, without idealism restraining it, is not virtuous. Just see
And no, you''ll feel painfully nostalgic whenever you think of it.
I can't believe media this good actually exists. I just wish it was more consistent in how good it is. the first season was perfect. the other seasons were excellent but not as good as the first, although the whole last chunk of the final season might be the best part of the show.
Reuenthal's death was seriously heartbreaking. While Yang's death was well done as well, I felt like he should've logically died a season or two before. His levels of plot-armor were unreal.

Some day but it'll be very underwhelming.

He did NOT frame him, Reuenthal went against the direct orders of the Kaiser and said those words straight from his own mouth and if he wasn't so stupidly prideful he could have just explained what was going on instead of costing so many men their lives

Scheming liar. Snakes like you, well meaning as you may be, poison any well.

Prideful fool. Arrogant people like you drag everyone down to their graves all because of your own inflated ego

OH MY FUCK THE KICKSTARTER TRAILER SHOWS MECHS

I was pretty sure that it was Lang going rogue acting for Rubinsky's best interest that framed Reuenthal, the first time Lang tried to frame him Oberstien scolded him and told him to lay off. I'm not really sure if he had a hand in it. That being said it was still Reuenthal's own fault, it was only a matter of time until his ambition consumed him.
Mittermeyer lost all his friends.

But he did everything for the Kaiser so that his actions would still be seen as pure as possible, wouldn't that justify it? He knew his role and played it. He went down hated by his comrades as a scheming snake but he was the most selfless of them all, How many times did he proposed his own sacrifice to the Kaiser in order for them to achieve success?
I found Julian's plot armor through the show to be much more annoying than Yang's, Yang was advertised as some sort of miracle worker so I could believe the bullshit but Julian just pulled shit out of his ass.

Gentlemen this is the msot horrifying image i haveever seen.
While watching this image all i can hear is cities burning, nightmares crying and dog shit wearing deodorant.

The answer to arrogance is not lecherous amorality. Complete amorality is the same as immorality. As a people and nation, where will you stand after you've succeeded but lost all possible self-respect? Who will support and love a recklessly pragmatic Kaiser after the war? Incursions are inevitable.
I'm not saying Oberstein did everything wrong, just that he did a lot wrong that could've been done differently.

You're right about Julian's plot armor but I still consider Yang's more egregious. The whole republican side developed some mad plot-armor with each passing season.

The moment I set eyes upon that image, I felt sick. Ruining a LOGH reaction image with suck a filthy text overlay is just disgusting.

That was the reason why Oberstien would do the dirty work and take all the blame user, because he could live with people hating him but they couldn't be hating the kaiser. Oberstien drew the entire hate of the empire on himself so that it didn't go after everyone else

New patch last weekend. It's pretty fun.

even more fun than when hit detection is working in star citizen

That actually looks pretty fun. I presume they focused on gameplay first rather than useless shit first?

The opposite, really. You can look into the history of Infinity for the full story on that… the dev time so far has mostly been technical implementations for shit like working netcode/hit detection, collisions, various optimizations. (the stuff that allows a newtonian, no speed limit flight model with hundreds of players and npcs in a server in a real scale solar system with real scale planets to actually work)
this is the first battlescape patch with significant new gameplay elements, supposedly all done in the last month or so.
Now that they have a lot of the technical stuff out of the way i'm hoping the subsequent patches are additional rapid gameplay additions and improvements

Is there anything out there with the same kind of atmosphere and great visual stylings of Alien Isolation, but more open-ended and without a retarded leapfrogging ayy popping out of vents to annoy you periodically?

Doesn't matter if it's old or new, also I wouldn't mind something more story-driven if it exists.

Modded Doom

tell me more, also do you have all the concept art of the game? im autistic when its about ships art.

i hope you didnt have family in Westerland
nope, but the books are out, you should read them.

I'm more of a screenshot guy (and i dont have the battlewscape art saved), but i might as well post some of my favorite ship concepts from various sources. Most of these aren't from infinity, though some are from the old infinity contributions forum.

They were going to try to make LoGH weren't they?

we could probably mod the ships to make the weapons long range and modify the npc's ai to act accordingly.

While I'm more excited for

but I hope that Stardock Star control at least has good gameplay, because they won't be able to compete with story or alien designs. (Stardock always was sucked with Story) And least it's coming out soonish.

Anyone playing Elite Dangerous with a controller? Is it doable? I'm thinking about picking it up while it's on sale, but I don't know, I'm not big into multiplayer games, how much of the game am I missing out if I play alone?

It's perfectly playable with a controller. Wouldn't do high end pvp with one though.
You may run out of button combos so having a keyboard nearby to press the odd thing you can't fit to your bindings.
You're not missing out any Frontier approved content if you play solo. But a lot of the more interesting stuff happens among player factions and groups. There are plenty of player groups who are non combat oriented too. Group Expeditions are pretty fun.

So, has anyone tried out helldivers while it's free?

Is ED a game yet or I'm still better with Space Engine?

i have it in my ps4 had fun with my brother in coop and shit got crazy when we played only with a full team
bringing democracy to xenos is fun

Gotta agree with that, ain't nothing better than handing out several hundred kilotons of freedom to the bugs, cyborgs or illuminates.

Oh man that cataclysm intro…

Damn it Stardock fix her fucking neck.

copy dat

I've had Helldivers on PC for a while now. If you like Alien Swarm or Magicka, you will probably like Helldivers. It's pretty good.

If you do end up buying it, don't bother getting the pistol DLC, it's fucking garbage. Some of the others are of questionable use. Terrain Specialist however is considered mandatory to the degree you will often get kicked from high level missions on snow maps if you don't have it. Ask here if you want to know more (and ignore people on the Steam forums, they're fucking retarded).

I would be all over her if she was only more monotone and had a proper neck

Nice. I really like the music in all the Endless games. But this one is my favorite, something about the spanish guitar does it for me.

I would actually like to know more.
For example, what do you think of my build?

Those guns look like they should be attached and operated by their dicks.

Are there any games that simulate being a random guy in space and doing whatever? Trading, bounty hunting, just driving a ship in space, that stuff?

Elite series
X Series
Privateer
Rebel Galaxy
Starpoint Gemini series
Rodina
Earth & Beyond
Vega Strike
few more actually but that's what I would recommend to check out.

Yes damnit!
Tell me more about the managed democracy of the super-Earth!

Gonna pump this space thread with clips of the latest Citizencon showcase stream. Even though it's sheckelcitizen the tech is impressive even though you can only land at set locations so really its an impressive setpiece and that's about it
Alpha 3.0 never fucking ever fuggg DDDD:

It looks like there is no life in the enivronment. Like the place looks deserted, it feels like the planet should be far more densley populated than it is with fuckloads of traffic but it doesn't have that.

There are streams of traffic around the place, guess they've got to turn the numbers up.

Does that flight model work for atmosphere or is it a zerog flight model?

Fully populating a map with NPCs and shit like that is one of the last things you do. Everything's gotta be fully set up for player interaction first.

There would have to be one for aero and one for 0g. A lot of the ships in SC are designed more like conventional aircraft with the idea a lot of them will be used possibly more often in aero rather then in deep space.

That and you can only land in certain areas like arccorp so there is no reason to have that level of detail over most of the planet. I'll go back to the start and grab a clip of that so you have an idea of how the landable areas will end up looking.

Please don't pretend any game without orbital mechanics is a space game tia

E:D has orbital mechanics

Interesting, is there a speed limit?

Yeah almost all the ships have set speed caps for "balance" but some of the faster ones can easily orbit small moons etc.

Skip to 16:42 for the orbiting part.

Will SC be release before ED finally gets gameplay?

E:D has gameplay you memer
probably :^)

Pecisk pls, ED is barely a game.

NONE OF YOU ARE COOL ENOUGH TO PLAY SPACE GAMES. STOP IT NOW

Am I cool enough for you user?

Last one.

…user I have some bad news

I'd agree with you if SC didn't show constant footage of their dev teams working on shit on their yt channel as well as all the other stuff the publish. Alpha 3.0 also has regular reports showing what has to be fixed before release.
robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
It'll remain a meme till that final release happens though. I'm sure plenty of people will be disappointed they can't do x or y too.

Also, do you honestly believe those trailers are representative of the final product? Have you learned nothing?

Good god man how much money have you spent on this game? You sound like your suffering from Stolkhome syndrome. I would be mad too if I dumped even over 60 bucks on this pile of trash. And I know a guy in RL who already dumped fucking 10 GRAND ON IT. talking to him is like talking to a religious fanatic.

Star Citizen will be shit for multiple reasons, but the main one is that it will be style over substance. Instead of building the game from GAMEPLAY and not flashing lights, the game will be a nice lit up turd and not much else.

If you honestly believe that any of these videos coming from CR are representations of the final product you have not seen what Ubisoft/Bethesda releases, or even NO MANS SKY.

What makes this game any different?

that's inengine footage The engine itself has been consistent in it's shape and design for the past 1-2 years and it's clearly the way the game has been headed.
Alpha 3.0 when it, if it ever, drops will contain all of this new engine tech.
stop making me defend the thing, I haven't even spent money on it I was gifted a starter pack

I only had a look at this stream today cause of the cross subreddit shitposting on the E:D subreddit. This game is different because of all of the shit Robert puts out on the games development every week. NMS was entirely trailers. Like fuck the amount of bugs that show up during their streams is hilarious.
>>13689186
look at both those webms and tell me this is like NMS.

So you've played it then? You've played exactly what these videos depict? The only gameplay videos I've seen from players are them jerking off in their spaceships that look buggy as hell with shit FPS.

Where have I heard this before?

No really though the new LotGH ships look like ass. Why the fuck does everything need "epic" LED lights hot glued all over it to look sophisticated? The old ones were thin black or green bricks in space which fitted their purpose perfectly for war. LotGH wasn't about flare and all the trailer tells me is otherwise. I wish we could just get to follow different characters during the highlights of the war as well. As much as I like the main cast, I'm tired of them and want something fresh Also I can't handle seeing younger, more naive Yang after I know where he ends up. It still hurts god dammit

you should just posted the webms and be done with it

more or less, except they were small bases and mining sites on other moons instead of a city, also that stupid hover bike is super glitchy in the real game and normally will spawn dead and lying on it's side. Plus there's currently a fun bug where those markers for the surface based points of interests don't actually show up in your cockpit so you have to stop and land every few minutes to see where the fuck you are in relation to where you're trying to go.

That specific planet in the videos is still off limits in the real game, but beyond that and the fact their play-through was amazingly bug free, yes that is pretty much what you can do in game right now.

by in game right now, I mean their test server

top fucking kek

Probably but this is the most active this general has gotten recently so I don't mind

You have to be retarded to donate more then 100$ to a kickstarter in the first place. That's a huge risk on a lot of money.

Bruh, SC will be shit for the same reason ED is a complete disaster. They both fell for the multiplayer meme. There will be no persistence, no storyline and no staying power.

SC might be better than ED if Cloud Imperium has a little more talent than Frontier.

I've said this here thousands of times, E:D would be dead without it's multiplayer, as bare bones as it is.

I just want a worthy sequel to Freespace games, how hard is that to understand

They are so utterly different games you may as well compare Elite to CoD you homosexual.

Was just making the point multiplayer isn't a dumb meme. If implemented well

FD has shown they can't. The recent Thargoid "invasion" disaster is proof enough. Anyway, Elite is now simply the pet project used to milk forumdads to fund their real games. Elite is too far gone to be salvageable.

We need a Silent Hunter space game.

This would be awesome, though I would settle down for a Nexus: Jupiter Incident before it went all Ayy lmao kind of game.

Don't remind me of the blueballs. I just want Das Boot in space which you think someone would have attempted to make but haven't.

But how could you make a game about submarines in a medium that makes all ships impossible to hide?
There is no realistic way to hide any kind of spaceships in space. Especially if they have to be able to be able to move in an even remotely useful way. Its like trying to hide in a small room with nothing to hide behind. in the dark while being covered in 1000 watt led lights.

Corporate warfare in a Kardashev 2 civilisation inhabiting our solar system would be awesome though. Millions of warships. billions of soldiers fighting over trillions of habitats. It could be a sweet setup for an MMO/elite hybrid where the player can command whole fleets.

Answer to that is autism and funny enough realism.
Make battles take place over hundreds if not thousands of kilometers. You need to be reliant on your sensors and other instruments to judge where a target is and where it is going while filtering out all other forms of radiation and signatures you may encounter. Space really is a natural ECM blanket with the shit you are likely to encounter from rogue asteroids, cosmic radiation, solar flares as well as even eruptions of water vapour into space from moons, frankly there's fuckloads of phenomenon that could be incorporated into a game that would make it an ideal submarine style warfare game in space. In theory it wouldn't be that hard to run silent or even become a shadow of another vessel and unless you know exactly where to look you won't likely find a ship that's trying to be sneaky until they are directly on top of you.

I read a book a couple years back and there was a battle in space and it looked like this, they were trying to spot other ship by watching light or something refracting on their hull, otherwise they were blind. It was pretty cool.

Noice. What's the name of the book?

Why look for light refracting off the hull, and not the hull that is 270 degrees hotter than the background around it? Space is damned cold after all, and you don't want your crew to freeze to death, right?
There also the drive plumes. The giant cone of plasma coming out the back of your ship every time you use your engine. Especially since games loves to have ships that can accelerate at a speed of more than 1-2cm per hour and also like their kilometer long ships. The thrust of the engines of those ships would regularly crawl into the megaton range. Its quite literally about as subtle as dropping a city buster nuke every second your drive is accelerating or decelerating.
Stealth in space just doesn't work.

It was years ago and I moved a couple of time, give me some time I'll go look in the big Bag o' Books in my closet.

I don't really remember the details brah, I simply remember it being submarine in space and liking the concept.

Found it! It was on top as if it wanted to be found, seriously it has been years. It's Singularity Sky from Charles Stross. I don't remember it particularly so it might not be that good.

You really don't get that many course corrections in space, it would be an extremely short window of opportunity and once it happens you have to project what the likely course is on the limited data you would get.

Stross is a pretty trash author from what I've read.

Nah It comes down to how much effort the dev team are willing to put in. But the game is in maintenance mode so development is glacial.

las gun is best gun

youtube.com/watch?v=6YCOrx-9Aig
Evochron Mercenary is a Space-Flight Sim. It has grind since you start with jack fucking shit. You can do 95% of everything that SC claims it will do. Its only $20. You have to buy it since no one bothered to make a pirate version. If it is "too old" then there is Evochron Legacy, which is basically the same thing but with more.

I saw this and am contemplating purchasing Legacy, but from what I've read and seen it just seems like a less fleshed out X game but with better flight. Am I right?

Never said it was good but it had submarine-spaceship battles in it. I'm surprise it was on top of the bag, I have that book since a good 10 years and only remembered I had it because of the other user.

I just bought mercenary not 83 min ago. Should I turn it in and get Legacy if it's the "newer and better" version?

Also, anyone got suggestions for ones that let you walk around your ship? I'm a big fan of the "living aboard a spaceship feel.

Never played an X game. I wouldn't know.

Based on my gameplay so far, i concur.
Although i have noticed that having a rocket launcher as a secondary for anything bigger than an impaler is always a good choice.
Also that one gun that shoots high caliber explosive rounds is pretty neat.
Picture completely unrelated.

Holy shit that is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

Trash.

Isn't the excelsior the one thats mostly known for breaking down when they turned on its engine?
I think STO even made a gag out of it with the excelsior in game breaking down when you turn on transwarp or something…
Why would you love that antiquated piece of crap? It wasn't even good back when it was new.

Why does your Excelsior look so shit?

I've had some fun times in Stellaris with my Space Frogs. Even managed to concentrate the war effort neatly. Despite what certain pacifists had to say.

That looks like what trolls start posting shortly after a THICC thread starts.

The federation is white man’s territory.

what a terrible waste of tripple trips
Where do you think you are?

fix'd

If you care in the slightest about your moral high ground from which you wish yo castigate us filthy CISlords with your righteous indignation at others behalf, why come here?
Do you really think anyone here gives a flying fuck about any of that?
That anyone will think you are doing a good thing.
That some black chick is going to walk up to you on the street and go "I'm so happy you where standing up for us oppressed people" or something?
Why don't you just fuck off back to reddit or tumblr or whatever shithole you crawled out off, because you clearly don't belong around these parts.

I just thought the original post was lazy and a cry for attention.
You're the one spurging like a jigglytard right now.

NEW THREAD

As one star dies