You know what really makes an action game good?

You know what really makes an action game good?
MOTHERFUCKING RIVALS!
Post 'em and discuss

Fighting games have lots of good rivals, such as Ryu and Ken, Sol and Ky, Kyo and Iori, etc. and rival themes such as embed related.

My favorite part of Guilty Gear in general is the lack of headswaps.
Even as a kid I understood that Ryu and Ken are pretty much the same dude with different head, but Sol and Ky despite having similar movesets were completely different characters.
And them having individual VS music track was mindblowing.
Ditto for Zato-1one and Millia.

I fucking love Guilty Gear, especially pre-Xrd era.

MGR's rival can't save the rest of the game from being utter shit. Better rival and game overall is pic related.

I can see someone didn't take time to learn the parry technique

what's wrong with Xrd?

Went too far into generic modern anime art style. For my tastes at least.
But it's just like when comic book style GG went into 90s anime with X, so I guess it's just me not keeping up with the times.

off-topic, enjoy your (you)

Remember when Puerto-Rican Pedro said you could parry by just spamming forward while comboning?

What make GameFreak decide to drop the rivals being assholes in favor of being your buttbuddy/cocksleave again?

Maybe Gary was too much of an asshole in the original generation, Silver grew as a character, then came Wally because Ruby/Sapphire were never your rivals in a sense.

Who's the rival in this one? Another Joe, Alastor, or Captain Blue?

Neither of them lasted long enough to be a rival, and wasn't Another Joe just Alastor in disguise? It's been a while since I played VJ1.

Hulk Davidson would be a better candidate since you at least get to hear his magnificent singing all throughout his stage.

If the duration of the rivalry is important I think Alastor is technically the rival then, since he's shown in an earlier scene, isn't he?
I don't remember that, but I don't have much excuse, it's been like six months since I played Joe. I did skip the cutscenes.

It's not just action games that have rivals, user. Any Forza players that didn't jump on the bandwagon after they switched to random tard names from the internet will know what I'm talking about here.

Best rival.

No.

No what makes action games good are spankings

Alastor's the rival pretty much because he looks the most visually similar to Joe(aside from Captain Blue) and has the most interaction with Joe. If you make any two characters play off of each other enough and be opponents, anyone can be rivals to one another.

Rivals make everything better.

This user understands

shameless badump

What about friends?

Rivals can be friends.
In fact it's an element that can make most rivalries interesting to witness.
Example is pic related.

I'm also a fan of rivalries in which both subordinates are related and hate each others guts but don't really want to kill each other.

Ruby/Sapphire have three themes, two for when you talk to them and one to battle them, Wally has none(one in ORAS). That's what proves to me that R/S is your rival and Wally is just a backup-rival.

That thing is like several layers of gay.

Absolute patrician taste, I was extremely disappointed with Xrd after throwing my childhood away playing Missing Link with my father.

If it isn't the heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known across the universe as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorkken!

Who were you again?

Wonder Red.

Dude, you can probably get away with just his name.

Blunder Red, was it?

Knux was rad as shit back in the day. Hated how they overplayed him as a big joke whether friendd or foe until recently.

That evil henchwoman from Brandish.

How well does W101 work on CEMU?

Too be fair, Ares/Varik is a bit of a cunt.

IT'S NOT FAIR

As a child playing through Brandish, she gave me very weird feelings. Brandish being a fucking kick ass difficult game was also great.

Most recent footage I can find is on Cemu 1.10.0f and it looks like there are frequent dips to 15 fps and some graphical errors, I'd wait before trying it

I recently replayed Shadow of Mordor and it reminded me how the only good thing in the game is the uruks. I'm just about to play the sequel. Don't worry, I pirated both.

Gen 3 is where they stopped being dicks and we had a bimbo bitch rival available for the first time
I miss having a challenging rival who pushed me on towards getting better, instead of being some limp dicked obstacle

Truth be told, actual writers of youngster fiction despise the concept of lifelong rivals, and consider it chaff for comic books.

Well perhaps in other mediums it may be.
But rivals in video games work as a true test for ones skill.

Actually it's giant bosses. Unless you're playing an actual fighting game, rival fights have a tendency to be some of the worst boss battles because they require a set of mechanics of behavior that is very different from what the player typically faces.

Takes a shit all over character and general mechanic refinements that had taken place over the span of the decade to dumb down Guilty Gear for the BlazBlue audience when dumbing down Guilty Gear to seek a new audience was the entire stated intent of BlazBlue in the first place.

Which is why they need to be repeated throughout the game. You can't learn to beat you adversary if you only fight him once.

Also
is you high mang? pic related

The team was so proud of their "revolutionary new CG graphics" it warranted slashing half the roster, even story-essential characters like Anji Mito and Baiken.
In the same line of thought, the story mode was turned into a literal fucking movie.
Insulting character redesigns when none was needed.
New characters are lifted straight from Blazblue's bottom tier, except maybe Whitefang who embodies what can be okay with blazblue.
Revolutionary new CG graphics are actually ugly and crap.
In summary, it's shit and makes Blazblue look good.

Who cares! Get the pizza, red!

Wierd, I heard that BlazBlue was harder but then again I am a complete nub to fighting games. What is the best GG game then?

Accent core +R.

I'll grant that she doesn't really act very competitive and isn't that great a rival character-wise, but my pelvis is still sore from all those times she brutally raped me under the bike road.

Did you prefer the last fight with Green or the previous battles with Seven Force more?

What a fucking gay.

Show me that fighting spirit, buddy!

Pokemon is, ultimately, a game who's core demographic is children. Adults might be able to tolerate and even enjoy rivals that are dicks, but in this day and age kids have a much harder time with it, or at least that's what a corporate executive might think. I don't like that they dropped the jerk-ass rival aspect, but I can understand why they did.

I concur. Not only does Xrd make my eyes hurt with the frame-by-frame STYLE animation rather than actual smooth sprite animation. The fact that the game stops for a second every time you hit someone bugs me as well.

Sage for double posting

The fact that he's your brother was pretty awesome too. I always wanted to have a Green character in Mugen.

It was kind of trippy with what they did to his supposed descendants in the sequel, in regards to his role among the added backstory of the gems and Golden Silver's origins.