Holla Forums plays Ghouls and Ghost for October

SPOOPY SCARY GHOULS AND GHOST
Ok here is how this will work:

∙Unlimited Quarters unlimited continues.
∙only play one life at a time
∙must savestate upon death
∙share the file here on Holla Forums.
∙Then someone else must use that same savestate to continue from where the player left off.

Ideally you record a webm of your progress and also share it in the thread. Ideally you post honest progress and don't resort to TSA or other gimmicks. We have until october 31 to finish Ghouls and Ghost. One ID per segment so no double subsumptions, but if two anons want to trade back and forth that's ok I guess. I imagine you could hop ID's if you where desperate but the central idea is only progress can be accepted by new ID's until another user has played and that we all take a turn at trying to beat this game.

Sound like fun?

mediafire.com/file/9r6k2q75ja2vgk9/joy0-3.sta

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/54w69jdumpy12h5/Super_Ghouls_'N_Ghosts_(U)_[!].000
mediafire.com/file/t1kqsdk3jb9q0m6/Ghouls 'n Ghosts (USA, Europe).gs0
mediafire.com/file/7gtdw8tbhdc67ys/Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (U) [!].zst
mediafire.com/file/5640an93wsxly9m/Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (U) [!].zst
my.mixtape.moe/mrinqm.zs1
my.mixtape.moe/bispuk.zst
my.mixtape.moe/lidkok.zs3
my.mixtape.moe/zksnmq.zst
my.mixtape.moe/gpcasz.zs5
my.mixtape.moe/kxucpj.zst
my.mixtape.moe/pipoqo.zs7
my.mixtape.moe/cibgxe.zst
my.mixtape.moe/xrlgyl.z10
my.mixtape.moe/deqbvq.zst
my.mixtape.moe/ggirxk.mp4
my.mixtape.moe/atooyf.mp4
my.mixtape.moe/qvrrdp.zst
my.mixtape.moe/nftnnc.zst
my.mixtape.moe/uvylzg.zst
my.mixtape.moe/swsuhg.z12
my.mixtape.moe/nigjif.zst
my.mixtape.moe/huqsov.zst
my.mixtape.moe/rnarte.zst
my.mixtape.moe/hzwlhb.zst
my.mixtape.moe/hhyxpe.z14
my.mixtape.moe/whdrkc.webm
my.mixtape.moe/zowgqw.zst
my.mixtape.moe/zsprst.zst
my.mixtape.moe/cgfyuo.z16
my.mixtape.moe/cemxuy.webm
my.mixtape.moe/wessmd.gs0
my.mixtape.moe/sdwrai.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Twinkle Star Sprites

the multiplayer is the real draw in TSS

I can never play Ghouls and Ghosts because of how shit the Stage 1 music is compared to SGNG

If no one takes it I'll do it tomorrow

Which gay version of MAME are you using OP?

Which version should I use? Don't wanna be an giant fucking faggot is why I ask

Well, the current build used on Ubuntu 16.04 repository is v0.160. That's pretty far behind but it shares in common more than most other versions might.

What happens when people don't make any progress?

Alright. Lemme grab it now so I can participate tomorrow

I'll note 0.160 is also the version MAMEHub is currently frozen at.

That's absolutely gay. There aren't any consequences for an user dying, they just hand the save file to another user who picks it up from there and experiences no effects from the previous user's failure. This idea would work better for something like Fallout or X-com where the decisions of previous anons would have a lasting impact on the rest of the game.

You certainly experience other player's failures when you get to a checkpoint you might normally give up on because it's too difficult to continue at.

How the fuck is the snes port of this game better then this shit. What the hell happened.

Meaning sounds wise.

whoops wrong thread

I'm using Mame64 0.171.0.0

Its a different game silly. The SNES game is also alot harder in my opinion despite having the double jump. There no sprite limitations on the arcade game so there is less slowdown. While green armor dosen't provide upgraded attack you can still attack above yourself which makes killing some enemies way easier.

That said, the SNES game is also fun. Maybe we should do a run of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts as well that way it would cut down on compatibility issues. I believe Most SNES emulators use similar stave state formatting. But as you can see by the webm I cant even make it too the first checkpoint so this uploaded a savestate is rather pointless. I also could upload a similar bsnes savestate at the same spot the title wave section is impossibru.

mediafire.com/file/54w69jdumpy12h5/Super_Ghouls_'N_Ghosts_(U)_[!].000

We could have multiple Halloween related games in this thread. Splatterhouse might also be fun.

How about a multiplayer game we can play together in the spirit of Halloween? Killing Floor 1 or something like that?

but that is not halloweenery enough

I can't see this ROM on emulator websites anymore. Geez.

That could be cool for others and I would encourage you do it but I am genuinely weirder out by sharing any personal information with anyone online let alone user's. I avoid discord and multiplayer games like the plague. This kind of thing seemed like a good idea but it also might not work out if everyone is using different versions of emulators. This harebrained was inspired by single player platforming couch co-op but instead of passing the controller we passed the savestate.
(checked)
What?

I checked CoolROM and Emuparadise, I can't see the ROM anymore.

oh you mean the SNES rom. It probably got DMCA'd because Super Ghouls n' Ghoust is in the SNES Classic Mini. There are still other site you can get the rom from but I'm not spoonfeeding you

I understand user. We will figure something out

Have you ever played Ghouls and Ghost? Any little bit of progress is a worthy accomplishment. More importantly we collectively would never finish the game if their wasn't unlimited play. Its not like a beat em up where you re-spawn with no consequences. Their are checkpoints and you have to finish the game twice to get the true ending. But it seem the idea is dead in the water anyway because not having an unified save file format makes the project more of a chore than I initially imagined. Playing X-Com or Fallout might work too but it would be a completely different experience, might as well have a Holla Forums plays chess thread King's pawn to e4.

I recall the Master System version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts is much easier than the original and all other ports.

An inferior port but seems about the same difficulty as the arcade version but it might work for the threads purposes. I think most people use Fusion364.

mediafire.com/file/t1kqsdk3jb9q0m6/Ghouls 'n Ghosts (USA, Europe).gs0

What a shit game

Nope

page 6 bump

The save state is only used on death to figuratively "pass the controller" to another player. Also all the console ports of the game have unlimited continues so its a design choice. I guess a neo/v/ goon like yourself is too casual for Ghouls n' Ghost.

Also
This is not cuckchan though.

Why don't I just setup an emulator that takes input from my twitch channel chat?

How else would you share the current state of the playthrough to the next user, dipshit?

Sounds fun if you're a brain-dead moron.

You don't, this thread is a terrible idea.

I think it's a pretty neat idea. The problem is dealing with lack of version standardization and some emulators having poor linux support. OP should have uploaded or posted a link to the emulator they wish people to use to ensure compatibility with the save state.

methinks you're the brain-dead morons

But we're talking about a game that isn't shit here.

its a great idea (just not easily executed with m.a.m.e. due to the the inconsistency of states between revisions). (you) are just too shit at video game to competently play Ghouls n Ghost. You are obviously afraid we are all going to laugh at you for being a casual.

Yes for MAME its a bit of a hassle to coordinate but their shouldn't be much excuse for SNES & Genesis. Snes9x & Fusion 3.64 is essentially the recommended emulator and its not hard to download if you don't already have them.

user, dubs cant save you, if you think Ghouls n' Ghost is "shit" then you clearly don't respect good game design and are a newfag casual.

Why would I even want to play GnG to begin with? It's a dated quarter muncher with stiff controls.

SNES9X is not friendly to linux systems, I would have chosen ZSNES 1.51.

you fell for the gnujoo :^)
but I can do ZSNES too

user their is a reason the "quarter muncher" is still held in high esteem is because it wasn't a quarter muncher. It was hard but fair and someone talented enough could beat the game on a single quarter (NES game not included). The reason I made the rules like I did was to encourage anons to at least try to make progress. Save scumbling your way through the game is not what I want to see. That is what people call tool-assisted. The idea behind this challenge is that each of us take turns at trying to beat a level (or at least hit the next checkpoint). The deadline is the end of the month, I know Holla Forums can't count to 10 & you nuKids like to shitpost but I thought this idea had potential.

All right gimme a ZSNES Super GnG state to humiliate you with.

user I am terrible at Super Ghoul n Ghost, I tried to make a worth while state. I can't even get to the first checkpoint. If you can get past the clam shells with the title-waves then you are already better than I am. Regular Ghoul n Ghost is way easier then SGnG.

mediafire.com/file/7gtdw8tbhdc67ys/Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (U) [!].zst

Lol, you guys are shit, I've 2-ALL'd all 3 of the GnGs. Git fuckin gud.

Btw Arcade Ghosts 'n Goblins > Great GnG (the one OP is playing, Dai means Great in nip) > Super GnG

You using the right version user? Never encountered this error before.

Bumpan' in solidarity. I've always put off playing SGnG so this'll actually make a good time to try it out

Can I suggest we use a vola room to upload the files? You can link them directly so you don't even have to link to the site.

Your state starts right here user, before the start menu even shows up. Did you goof?

I think I did, got past the water this time but fucked up the recording. this *.zst should work. If it is still is fucked up after this then I give up.

mediafire.com/file/5640an93wsxly9m/Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (U) [!].zst

but I don't want computer aids.

Arcade Ghost is good but Ghouls n' is better imho. I thought about asking Anons to post how far they can get on one quarter but then I assumed lazyfags would post TAS runs from jewtube. The idea of each person doing a segment seemed more "legit" in a way.

The site itself works and it's safe. Just link directly from the room so you don't have to see it. I only say this because it's easy as fuck to upload to which makes it more accessible to play and upload.

I swear I'm actually good at this game.

my.mixtape.moe/mrinqm.zs1

no

finally making some progress. I can do the combat but committed jumps makes the platforming the hardest part.

my.mixtape.moe/bispuk.zst

^ ( I'm sure 3df274 already figured it out) rename the file from mixtap.moe

I figured you were going to give me the most tedious part of the game to play through.

my.mixtape.moe/lidkok.zs3

I'm not trying to burden you fam. Actually got further this time but messed up the recording so had to redo everything took ~20 tries.

my.mixtape.moe/zksnmq.zst

That particular Red Arremer always gives me more trouble than any of the other ones in the game.

the fact that Tom Brier did not know the song and performed it by sight reading the sheet music is the best part.

those sons of bitches are impossible without the gold armor imho.

i converted all of tom's vidya playing that was small enough to webmify. if you want i'll dump them in the webm thread

Finally hit my stride again only for it to be cut short by the most bullshit part of the game. I really hate those randomized geysers.

my.mixtape.moe/gpcasz.zs5

not to make a million excuses but I never got this far in Super GnG before in fact this is probably the second time I even honestly attempted to play it. I usually play the arcade version. Alot of deaths are due to not knowing what to except.

my.mixtape.moe/kxucpj.zst

that guy is cool as fuck

this next part it both comfy and difficult. Music reminds me of Secret of Mana for some reason.
no save state because that's not how this works :^)

These are getting rather long to fit in a webm.

my.mixtape.moe/pipoqo.zs7

Given that you're supposed to save on death, doesn't that just disincentivize any Anons who don't do well from posting at all?

I imagine its inevitable with a game like Ghouls n Ghost. Sharing failures is part of the fun of couch co-cop too. It just doesn't seem practical. If someone is good spirited enough to let us laugh at their 12 games overs then I imagine their is no harm in that as well. :^)

damn good playing user. I thought for sure you where going to defeat Nebiroth on your first try. Took me 25 tries.

I imagine its inevitable with a game like Ghouls n Ghost. Sharing failures is part of the fun of couch co-cop too. It just doesn't seem practical. If someone is good spirited enough to let us laugh at their 12 games overs then I imagine their is no harm in that as well. :^)

damn good playing user. I thought for sure you where going to defeat Nebiroth on your first try. Took me 25 tries. will upload webm's in a second but it seem like Holla Forums is shitting the bed atm.

Yes? When have you ever gotten malware from there?

can't post
8ch dead?

I imagine its inevitable with a game like Ghouls n Ghost no matter what you do. Sharing failures is part of the fun of couch co-cop too. It just doesn't seem practical. If someone is good spirited enough to let us laugh at their games overs then so be it. :^)

damn good playing user. thought for sure you where going to defeat Nebiroth on your first try. Took me 25 tries. will upload webm's but it seem like Holla Forums is shitting the bed atm.

It was a whole re-tooled game. Upgrades were available for your speed, life, etc. Weapons were incrementally more powerful in the order you got them as opposed to being unique on their own.

you have to go back

Sounds like you have a terrible case of casualitis.

see second webm

Sorta. I'm saying that people might not want to be a burden with their lack of skill. Because the controller has to be passed every time, if there are more than a few players, anybody who hasn't played this game extensively before won't have much chance to build skill at it. I've beaten it once, and I still don't expect that my level of skill will be of much help either.
(Checked)
I'm pretty sure he's juxtaposing the phrase "You have to go back" with the fact that you have to go back to the beginning of the game to get the true end.

Well, now you can enjoy the whirlpool part.

my.mixtape.moe/xrlgyl.z10

ah!

fun

I'll take a break on SGNG and let some other anons make progress for a bit. If I get much more practice I'll be capable of one-life clearing this again.

Oh I didn't read the first part. I think you are thinking too much. I never beat the first level of SGnG. If I can do it, any user can. Everyone is welcomed to try. But to record a webm of every attempt then upload it and to pass the state with no progress seems like way to much work & way to slow. I don't believe lack of skill is the disincentive. I imagine it is a simple cost–benefit analysis. Most anons rather shitpost and doing this takes too much effort. In other words its not as fun as farming (you)'s.

for some reason mixtape.moe is temporarily unavailable.

The farthest I've ever been able to get in SGnG on one continue is the nasty bone worm boss

oh the suffering! no progress Going to get some sleep. Try again tomorrow.

are you talking about regular Ghouls n Ghost? Because I don't recall a bone worm boss in SGnG.

Since I didn't see this posted

The guy at the end of the castle who spins around in circles with the floating platforms, I'm pretty sure it was SGnG, the only other Ghosts and Goblins game I've played is Demon's Crest

Wot game?

oh yeah forgot about Death Crawler. That's pretty good for one quarter. I thought you where talking about the chrysalis thing at the end of Stage 4 of the arcade cabinet.

reverse image search points back to Danbooru. I was hoping that there was a GnG hgame similar to Akumajou Succubus. Great classic Castlevania game even without the lewd.

finally did it!

my.mixtape.moe/deqbvq.zst

What are you using to record?

FUCK.

At least your run went better than mine.

upload it anyway

This level really isn't that hard. Getting in the boss' face is what's tricky. The arrows were definitely the way to go. Is the Goddess Bracelet deliberately terrible, or is there more to the range/power dropoff mechanic than I'm getting?

Part 1: my.mixtape.moe/ggirxk.mp4
Part 2: my.mixtape.moe/atooyf.mp4

Whatever.

I couldn't even get to the boss without ditching the bracket. There are at least two star-spitting sea urchins that fuck my shit up.

Fug.

my.mixtape.moe/qvrrdp.zst

(checked)
those jumps are nasty.

my.mixtape.moe/nftnnc.zst

I don't know any of you know he's in a coma

I honestly don't know much about Tom but now I'm going to cry October is his birthday.

but he has mostly fully recovered from the news I have heard, so he was in a coma.

the video from a year ago (that I just watched) sounded like he was still very much in catatonia.

Close, but no cigar. I completely forgot how this boss works until it was already too late.

my.mixtape.moe/uvylzg.zst

It's just images. There is no game. Note that the time does not change and the level does not scroll in any of the images.

Goddamn gas jets.

my.mixtape.moe/swsuhg.z12

my.mixtape.moe/nigjif.zst

~btw this play-through is now dedicated to Tom Brier

Quick thinking, user.

Good job. Damn it, I wanna contribute at least one level clear.

(heil'd)
you can do it! because If you can't I'm not sure I can :^)

btw I wasn't kidding that Ice and red armor is brutal

You can do it, user. Slow and steady makes it. There's a checkpoint close by, so don't worry too hard about time. Remember that the ice chains always go mostly upwards at their base, so it's safe to stand less than a body-width away from their spawn warning cloud. Also, only three ice chains can spawn at a time, so always focus on dodging any armors currently on-screen before bothering to break them. Breaking ice chains will only cause more chains to spawn, and you'll have to worry about dodging any armors while paying attention to the new ice spawns. The armors' sine-wave pattern is pretty easy to avoid when you don't also have new ice spawns to worry about.
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

my.mixtape.moe/rnarte.zst

I take that back. Reexamining the video, it's slightly more than a body-width.

But user I meant Red Arremer (didn't know it wasn't spelled Armor)

Oh. When you said "red armor" I assumed you meant the red suits of armor with jetpacks. Yeah, the gargoyle thing is hard as balls, but at least we have one of the weapons that makes him bearable.

we progress was made but it was by the skin of my by the skin of my teeth. It was pretty cheep "victory" tbh.

my.mixtape.moe/hzwlhb.zst

was by the skin of my

Meh.

my.mixtape.moe/hhyxpe.z14

Looks like someone's gonna need to get that bracelet for the final boss.

nicely done user

HOLY FUCK MY DICK IS ROCK HARD RIGHT NOW.
Long-ass 12 minute 22MB Webm: my.mixtape.moe/whdrkc.webm

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH SHIT, I'M LATE.
State, though I guess it doesn't count now: my.mixtape.moe/zowgqw.zst

Also, I'm guessing that its Japanese name, レッドアリーマー Reddo Arīmā, is probably derived from Ahriman.

Since my other state can't count, got another one here, continued from

Final Stage, Goddess Bracelet acquired. It's up to you!
my.mixtape.moe/zsprst.zst

I am going to get some sleep

that is still good stuff user.

you get sent back to the beginning of the Castle which is Stage 6. We already did the first cycle to unlock the bracelet. You just need to have Gold Armor and the Shield to get the Bracelet which means not getting hit and opening all the hidden chest you come across. So basically we have two stages to open 5 chest in a row without getting hit.

bronze armor -> gold armor -> Shield -> Bracelet -> Trap chest>
standard armor>

You guys probably aren't even going to get scared this halloween either.

Well good luck anons, the hard part is over.

my.mixtape.moe/cgfyuo.z16

IT IS DONE!

FINAL BOSS AND CREDITS: my.mixtape.moe/cemxuy.webm

Christ, I'm sorry about the desk noise.

W-we did it fams.

Good job, everyone.

That is a 36 E bra on a skinny 2'9" girl.

What's the next game we're going to do?

For the spirit of Halloween I'd like to do Splatterhouse or some other spoopy arcade game. the issue of stat version comparability limits what we can do. But I Linux users can run Kega Fusion so maybe we can run Splaterhouse 2? Or how about we let the next set of Dubs poster decide (provided its logistically within reason) ?

Kiki Kaikai/Pocky and Rocky and Bonze Adventure are some pretty spoopy games.

???

my.mixtape.moe/wessmd.gs0

but is Pocky and Rocky hard enough to warrant passing the controller? Bonze Adventure would a better choice. However, MAME has proven to be a pain in the ass because its reported by other anons that the save-state is considered invalid unless we are all using the save version of MAME & same rom.

and here I was not being familiar with zsnes & naive enough to thing this meant ZSNES had and honest built in recording mechanism. smh tbh fam

my.mixtape.moe/sdwrai.webm

I've just been recording my plays in case I want to use the input file later. That would require figuring out if there's a Linux substitute for mencoder to actually enable using ZSNES's internal dumping system though.

but user lame & mencoder though zsnes wouldn't record your mouse inputs and fiddling with menus. That would need to be recorded with something external like SimpleScreenRecorder or Kazam.

Bump.