Thank Valve for ruining gaming

Turns out the genre Valve popularized:
corridor shooter with action elements spawned the worst abomination to grace gaming: Call of Duty
Thank Valve for also stripping the genre even further by making a single mechanic thing called Portal that doesnt even have a story or point to exist besides somehow making puzzles dumber than in real life
Also thank Valve for popularizing money grubbing gambling called called loot boxes back in 2012, it paved the way for DLC that allows developers to screw over every single gamer individually
Also thank Valve for making DRM still viable by creating Steam, scene was almost wiping out entire copy protection craze until Valve stepped in with ONLINE ONLY DRM BACK IN 2004

Thank Valve for ruining gaming

Other urls found in this thread:

valvetime.net/threads/german-consumer-agency-warns-valve-over-steam-eula.225460/
extremetech.com/extreme/133806-valves-updated-steam-agreement-bars-class-action-lawsuit-but-is-it-legal
us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/6307651121
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>>/cuckchan/

Steam saved PC gaming for better or worse.

I'm so sorry about these things that were popularized long long before Valve ever did them, user.

Check em

There was no proper popular corridor story shooter with action elements before Half-Life
Loot Boxes are entirely Valves idea
There was no online drm in wide use before 2004

A bit hyperbolic but yes, valve is shit and encourages shit practices. In other news, water is wet and op is a virgin. Now check em

the unsaid issue with valve:

In 2005-2008 the entire PC physical market was getting flooded with DRM. Starforce, Tages, and the most notorious at the time: SecuROM. If you had a PC game and it was sold on a shelf, you were buying the DRM along with the game.

Steam was a growing service since its debut and grew slowly over time. More and more games were getting added to it, and by 2007 it became a legitimate market with numerous third parties like id software, EA, etc. debuting on steam, with many AAA releases of that year, like Bioshock, hitting the scene. Valve also released 3 of its most anticipated games with the steam versions at the forefront.

PC gamers had a choice. Physical only games taking up space, containing DRM unless cracked, or steam where games were 6 clicks away from being played. All your games in one place and easy to access, just gotta sign up, click agree, and you are on your way.

They chose Steam, and PC gaming has been enslaved by valve, nobody owns any of their games any more, your money is just a ticket to play something that can be declined at any time.

Artifact has the potential to finally nail the coffin of any innovation in the industry
Check this, its an "action" card game with "rpg mechanics" like "classes"
What it will do is make a lot of money from essentially still pictures moving around
This will fully Bubble Bobbleize the industry for good
Everyone will start making shitty money grubbing minigames like on mobile devices
A lot of developers tried to make it work on regular pc, moved it out facebook so to speak
Valve will make it happen, it will show how to make it financially viable

Valve are kikes
No shit
Make an original thread OP, are you the same faggot that made the NuBattlefront 2 thread?

Are you the Sonygger shitting up the board?

Just watch

I guess quake and doom aren't corridor shooters because you have to backtrack and open a new corridor after finding a key in the previous one.

Most pc software and games were already based on licenses way before steam

Blizzard already made the big move with Heartstone, Valve will show how everyone can do it

This is true, I had Atari knocking down my door when they found out I had a copy of Blood for DOS, they demanded I return it, showed me the license agreement I signed, and seized their rightful property. Valve was only doing the same thing when people declined their forced EULA change in 2012, seizing their rightful property.

Wait that first thing never happened…

Well, that's about as true as it comes to physical copies.
That is, not at all.

story driven corridor shooter called Half-Life
Half-Life 2 is even worse, it locks you into sort of areas, so you can do combat, and then NPCs open the way up, its the worst design in existence, Homefront showed how its utterly worthless

Thank OP for ruining this perfectly good dubs thread.

1: Unreal
2: what does a corridor shooter without action elements look like?

Daily reminder

Hey dude.
It's not legal for valve to seize personal copies of steam titles, cracked or otherwise unless you have violated their protections under copyright laws by redistributing that software to other users

kek
Get with the times Sony cocksucker

(checked)
FUCKING CHECKED

NOW CHECK THESE

Source Engine is horribly flawed from its inception,
it cant do PBR or proper Global Illumination because it bakes all the light into textures
levels are small and cramped because textures of everything is divided into several colors baked into the system, this is why it still has textures like it never moved on from 2007
These cant be fixed until rewritten from scratch, there is no magical solution because countless developers have tried to make baking work with new graphical shit and they all resorted into extremely complex hack solutions

Damnit

I understand that Valve has it's issues but don't blame it for the the stupidity of devs following trends

Basicly Valve was screwed from the start and they are too divided in their own company to put any effort into fixing this shit, they would rather invent new ways to make money

He clearly didn't ruin it enough.

hey dude.
this happened:
valvetime.net/threads/german-consumer-agency-warns-valve-over-steam-eula.225460/

this is enough to dissuade users from acting:
extremetech.com/extreme/133806-valves-updated-steam-agreement-bars-class-action-lawsuit-but-is-it-legal

there is precedent from EA, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and of course Valve (but this one seems to make you mad in particular?) If you declined the 2012 EULA, you lost all your games. full stop. Make a new account, buy them again, shlomo.

It's never OK. If you don't own your games physically, you lost the means to defend yourself from this.

good luck i guess, would rather just own a copy on disc and not worry about it.

Does GoG have DRM now? I have a two externals backed up with mostly GoG versions of the games.

you put too much faith in your "rights", if anything they will sue for things that arent even in the EULA

GoG is sort-of DRM free. That was their motto, but they do ship games with the galaxy.dll which tracks you.

No, but GOG Galaxy can snoop on you, and the games themselves can snitch. Just block them in the firewall if you're paranoid.

sounds like they fixed it so it's not garbage anymore

Why the fuck would I need that when I can just pirate them and hold them on superior storage units like HDDs and USBs?

heres hoping GOG will make a massive dent and push others into doing something good for the industry as a whole

Is Galaxy required now? or can you still download from the website?

What constitutes ownership for you? Literally just stop using Steam.

Nice dubs, its the old argument of "I like the smell and feel of a real book"

it's not required, but many games still ship with it. IIRC you can delete the dll from the game install with no issues.

being able to trade currency for a product, having that product become your responsibility.
I want to have an affect on the industry, why else would I post on boards about video games?

the phrase is unskippable cutscene, valve having their own way of doing it doesn't make it any less cutscene.

Modern physical autists should be executed via firing squad

Burn ISO disc = You own a physical copy

If they're that much of a fag they could even print off a cover and pointlessly stuff the thing in a wardrobe and wait for it to fall apart.

I'm sure whatever company/dev you seek to support would take your money via some other method.

-t. retarded piratefag

either way its complete shit, only thing worse than it is forced-walking sections

You're a fucking retard I tell you what

You keep outing yourself Sonycuck
Try being more subtle next time you autistic consolefaggot.

Doom 1
spawned Valve

Based on Narbacular Drop

Have you ever seen a real life arcade, son?

Everything in Steam is cracked, let me know when you can revive a suicide battery though.

Thank OP for knowing nothing

walkie talkies are similar enough to me but I think they may be a little worse.

pirates don't matter. now is the point where you get upset about this line but it's not even meant to make you upset.

Let me reiteate

I use to be a physical/collector fag, the only thing I really miss is my books. Most of which are kept at my parents library. What is amazing is how much money I made off my snes/nes/ps1 collection when selling it to faggots. Emulation is a god send when you finally realize you just want to play the games and everything else is second nature.
I still respect people who want physical copies of stuff and cool things like maps, manuals, and other

Check the Vita thread you autistic minge

emulation isn't good enough for me, I know too much about how it all works to be happy with the results.

The decline of video games is inexorably tied to the decline of Western civilisation. Nothing good can come of a culture with no values or spirit.

pirates don't matter.

did they break the disc cuz GAEM TOO HARD, TOO HARD GAME? cuz nioh has a reverse learning curve and becomes to easy by endgame

walkin'talkin' infuriates me because i just feel its the developer insulting you. "oh the player is probably too dumb to take in the environment so we'll just slow him down to look at this vista real quick" Generally ruins replay value in even decent games too because you'll be moving along and then you have to keep stopping to listen to characters talk even though you know the dialogue already

STORY based corridor shooter
point is its popularized dumbing down the mechanics even more
irrelevant we are taking about popularizing it in gaming in general
popularizing ONLINE DRM, how easy its to crack is not a feature Valve planned
Thank user for not thinking things through

tbh i don't give a fuck about not owning my games on steam atm
i paid it and don't feel bad at all for pirating it if i feel like that
steam for all it's shit has many merits and i'm not talking just about users but also developers so it's not really black&white situation

i do wonder what are legal implications of said not-owned games being shown on my profile as "games owned"

Valve didn't really develop Portal unless you count buying a team of students and having them remake a project as developing.

As uneducated as OP sounds, I do agree that Steam like most other online subscriptions is pretty fucking bad.
Really makes you think.

Do you really expect people to actually realize valve barely develop shit?

You clearly don't know how to use computers then.

thats every game since original Half-Life series
Valve isnt even making their own games anymore

It's also the arbitrary restrictions over my movement, being forced to walk sucks when you have better options available. The funny thing is, the games don't even need to do this. It's just to deliver a bit of story or exposition or direction to you, right? Nier Automata had a big ass open world for you to move through, and if you happened to get to where you had to go before your conversation finished? The conversation ended. If you are that much in a rush, that's your own responsibility. Devs need to realize if you are that eager to get on with it, they shouldn't force things like this on players.

unfortunately know more than you do

Reminder that unless you're north korean or Iranian, the money you "have" is just a fancy cotton-cellulose mix which is just a Rothschild IOU
It's also fault of the people who accept it with no consideration as they are rotten subhumans who instead of communal, tribal or national identity worship corporations.

Is the part about refunds true? You can't just refund a game outside of the EU? Holy shit, that's gotta hurt. I've refunded countless of crappy games. You can just give them back if you have played less than 2 hours (more than enough to see if you'll like the game).

Honestly, they should implement it everywhere. I buy a lot more games knowing you just can refund them if they're crap.

I love that pic of that faggot manlet trying to look all hard for a selfie while wearing a cuck shirt.

No, you are a nigger. Niggers don't know anything.

Left 4 Dead 3 didnt happen because those devs left
Half-Life 3 wont happen because those devs left just recently
Team Fortress updates isnt happening because even the devs there cant convince other devs to work on it

What's on his forehead in the 4th?

It is called Jewish Confetti for a reason.

Nigga, card games n shit.

they added the refund system recently, the image is a bit outdated now.

-t. someone who's only recent memories of a super nintendo start with opening a directory on their computer

same with Portal 3, Kim Swift left in 2009 lol

Nah man, its of Treasure of the Rudras and the awesome Mantra system. Stop posting, nigger.

>>>/cuckchan/ and stay there this time

Reason why Valve is making Artifact is because they stole another concept from Blizzard, they ran out of original ideas and have no motivation to work on ANYTHING

missing the point pretty hard

You can refund your game after having played more than 2 hours in other parts of the world but you need to give a concise and legit reason, and even then it's not a guarantee that it will go through. And no, "I dont like the game" is not a legit reason.

How do you decline a EULA?

But in my experience
"This game didn't work on my machine and I have tested community compatibility fixes" Basically always works

Money isnt everything Gabe, you are turning into Microsoft

And how does that result in losing all your games as you describe?

Its pay back for Overwatch I guess

you are locked out of your account

Quake popularized corridor shooters fagit

Huh, was about to say that sounds like BS, but it seems like you're not wrong.

us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/6307651121
to the TOS and did some research about it.
us that we will lose access to our accounts and games. So I am on the clock.

In a libertarian country yeah, in the real world it's a roll of toilet paper. They could literally say "if you say yes we own the soul of your first born"on it, it has near 0 value if all the shit pointed out goes against basic commercial laws everywhere.
It's stuff (((they))) use to THREATEN people with but will balk long before they end up in front of a judge.
The thing anti-class action is one thing but guess what class action lawsuit are/were something that only exist in the US and the juicest meal of (((lawyers))) "hey guys all 10 000 of you victims get $1,000. Me? I get 1,000,000" it's meant specifically to counter BS class-action lawsuit (which steam is a perfect example of. Assume they have to mass refund a $50 game to 100k people through class action… the lawyers gets $5M, every-time a dodgy game is out you fucking bet they would sue…).
Because the basic principle of judgement is personal and should be case by case basis. Mass judgement is something commies do (the term "class"-action should be a hint). Class action should only be used when a company NEED to be ruined and disbanded because the shit they did on a large scale ruined many people lives, not because Half-Life 3 is buggy, which is what AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion is about (mainly because company responsibilities laws are way too lenient, ideally it shouldn't be used at all).

thank you for doing the research into this. The increased digitization of the things we own is going to present a persistent problem in the future for ownership of these things.

Stop feeding the retard.

Steam DRM is trivially easy to strip out of games. It's a lock to keep honest people honest and isn't required for devs to even implement. I'm a game with games on Steam and I refuse to implement Steam DRM. For our games, Steam is effectively a download manager / patcher. You can play them with Steam completely off, and copy the game files to another computer if you really want to.

If you want something to blame for games going to shit recently blame mobile because it's more of a free market with a race to the bottom. Did you know top mobile games get 500 million daily active users? Meanwhile Steam itself is only up to 18 million daily active users.

ideal solution to me, i have no qualms with standing around listening so long as i'm not forced into it

We have a friend that will work against Valve: free market. Valve turns Steam into a shitty marketplace? People will turn to another platform.

If Valve wants to retain its user base, it has to treat costumer well, Simple as that. There are lots of game companies willing to go as far as its needed to get a piece of Valve's market.

Valve knows this, so they'll probably restrain from doing anything stupid.

God bless the free market

hey lolbert, what if i create enough capital in a global free market which will leave me enough money to invest into erosion of values like loyalty to your family, friends or nation to replace it with brand loyalty and social engineering painting me as the savior of whatever it is I'm making?
Also, it's funny how end-goal of free market is outsourcing to china because even if you lose on bootlegs you still can't beat paying a dolar a month to a bugman for wholesale amounts of a product you sell with a 5000% markup (^:
Reported.

Dubs of truth. Unfortunately that's why there's no fixing the industry. You have to fix the world first to fix gaming.

But I want to call out the consolefag goy on his stupidity.

Stay mad.

Yelling at retards is still yelling at retards, unless that gets you off.

You are just jealous that I stole your dubs

Can one man be so wrong?

now we know why Valve is developing CSGO for China

Confirmed: freedom gives dubs

The theory and model of the free market works on one base assumption: all consumers are rational beings that make logical decisions which work towards their own self-interest. Any entry-level economics course will tell you that. The problem is, most consumers in the real world are NOT rational beings in the slightest, and that's why Valve continues to exist.

You need to get your commie ass out of here as well.

Because chinks are becoming extremely rich due to selling hardware bootlegs of every single "luxury" product brought there and since they can afford to buy out real estate in US, Canada and Australia the least valve can do is hook them up on totally not gambling (^:

fuck having real money and national products and shit lmao.

I love Fallout 3/ New Vegas and am learning 3d imaging because of it for a hobby. I used to telnet to people to play,eg, DOOM.

A really obscure Jew thing.

CHINA NUMBA ONE

it's the same consolenigger that shows up in every thread claiming that consoles exclusives are great and consoles aren't physical DRM somehow. but he keeps getting BTFO and ends up with at least (80) posts. the best thing to do is just filter.

Fair enough

Its a reaction to the Nioh PC port

日本一

still a fucking retarded reaction

Wait, did they snap it in half out of discuss? or relief they don't have to play on a bloodborne machine?

DISGUST IS WHAT I MEANT

Can't tell either

not a good idea but I think anyone who had the original game would want to replace it with the complete edition now, unless they no longer want to play it.

How does that work?

I dunno, I replay games once in a while. I mostly try to play new games however. Personally I'd want to keep pretty much every one of my games.

Oh I get it now
Go for it goy, enjoy buying the same game twice else big bad Sony will shut down the PSN and lock out the DLC.

Too bad you don't have alternatives like lets say…piracy, to prevent such a development.

yeah, it's a good idea to own physical copies of your games for this reason

Right, unless said guy had a lot of time put into Nioh that he doesn't want to do again, which is sorta understandable given how long the game is.

The real problem with valve was the HL2 popularity fallout. HL1 started the scripted cinematic shit concept and hype culture, of course. But that had a short lasting effect and HL still had some things over some modern AAA corridor games. Like platforming sections and optional tutorials.

Valve went full kike, came back with HL2 and made sure the industry swallowed all the bad shit the original had this time. HL2's popularity was so big that EA and other kike companies realized PC gaming was profitable for them, and shoved in thousands of whatever rushed, overhyped console ports that not only drowned many PC games, but also temporarily killed or permanently casualized most traditional PC genres like Shooters, RTS and CRPGs.
HL2 also brought all the boring "games are art" casuals that don't actually play games but want to sound smart and feel approved for playing them.

pirates don't matter.

This isn't an MMO

ITS A SERVICE PROBLEM GOY

how about instead of owning physical copies, keep the copies on hard drives, discs are very fragile

It's like 150-200 hours long with all the stuff they've added. I will likely never go back to Nioh after finishing Way of the Nioh difficulty.

yes its interesting, the overall design is horrible but they somehow managed to make it very enjoyable, horrible ideas are utilized really well, if that makes sense

you tell me what looks cooler

can't do much with cardboard now can you user?

I still don't understand why people haven't realized mercantilism a best
pic unrelated

(((truly a mystery)))

Then I'm sure its totally worth it to buy it twice

The files of course you filthy fucking hoarder.

Marche, post more Miranda

And how did steam "save" PC gaming? Steam is literally the consoleization of the PC market.

That doesn't make any sense. Also, look up the definition of 'literally'.

Jesus christ it took you this long.

Wait what? Is that game any good? All I know about it is the dark souls memers say "it's just like dark souls". Will pirate from steam if true.

Like I said previously, I admire the pic on the right but as someone who plays a lot of fucking video games, I don't have the space for this shit. Also, where the fuck is Morrowind? or Daggerfall? OR DIABLO II?

I think user is implying the practice all modern consoles do now a days is the exact same thing Steam does. Pretty Steam was doing it first though, so its more of the other way around.

Do you live in a fucking cardboard box?