Games ruined by localization

>Source archive.is/evD12 (They actually deleted the original article)

Other urls found in this thread:

tcrf.net/Popful_Mail_(Sega_CD)#Regional_Differences
romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=1046
youtube.com/watch?v=pT0XJsTrAhc
youtube.com/watch?v=0faQmOBN3tA
archive.is/evD12
at2.metalbat.com/?p=664
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Every SNES game. Nintendo's localization back then was god awful and full of agendas. In some ways nothing changed.

When you raise the enemy encounter rate so much that you can die and be almost one-shot outside of the first town it certainly is bad. Not a single 80s/early 90s title was improved by raising the difficulty, it only helped rentals.

To be honest, if we didn't do that, we wouldn't of had the boss in Sonic Mania, which was a pretty neat surprise.

Tell me about it

Thanks raising a generation of difficulty cucks with no convictions or standards, Fromsoft.

No, it was the opposite; all games were censored by Nintendo back then to be as bland and inoffensive as possible. Nowadays, they're putting in agendas.

They don't actually play DS, just pretend for hardcore gaymerzz points like all fake nerd redditors. You can tell right away because actual DS fans are there not for muh difficulty buzzword.

that's an agenda, user

You forgot how they completely removed the plot from the game, but yeah the biggest crime is not being able to fight Ash or pick him as a secret character that's one of the strongest characters in the game
searching for this gif showed me things I'm not surprised by anymore and I'm honestly scared at this point

Not completely ruined, but certainly made worse.

What's awful is how they removed him, and in turn ruined the surprise return of Shiva from SoR2. In the original BK3, that boss fight where he out of nowhere jumps over the fence is meant to shock and surprise the player. In SoR3, he becomes the one driving the boat full of enemies in level 1, making his return really anticlimactic and boring.

Xseed is pretty good.

Being a panepon fan must be true suffering.

Anything touched by NISA or Working Designs

I completely forgot about that.

this.

Ted Woolsey did a good job with the games he localized though, in my opinion.

Not really. I mean, even if he was forced to implement changes by nintendo, the final product is still heavily altered.

What's wrong with Popful Mail? It seems like they changed very little about it. I even remember they wanted to change this into a Sonic game like with Puyo Puyo, but stopped after fan complaints.

I assume you mean "wasn't"
And the final product of any localization will go through a good chunk of alterations because languages don't easily translate when it comes to idioms, sayings and things of that nature. Good localizations in my opinion, still capture the spirit of the dialogue while changing things appropriately and being faithful in less vague or unusual areas, and being dynamic when they can afford to be.

Although the original aesthetics and music are superior, Tetris Attack does in fact feature several improvements over the original Panel de Pon. It has slightly reduced slowdown tendency during long chains and they also tuned up a scoring system in time attack a bit.

Simon's Quest

They changed a lot of the humor since it would not translate at the time. If you compare Working Designs Localization they do in fact change a ton of things from the original. But they do keep the spirit of the original as much as possible.

WD also did a lot of pop culture for the time references. It was not really the same as todays MEME centric crap in place of actual humor. They put more thought into the jokes.

I see, thanks Satan. They messed around but still seemed to care, and it's an impressive show of restraint for the 90's at least.

I recall reading the US version was much harder.

Ditto about Silhouette Mirage (also the PS1 version looks much worse than the JP-only Saturn version).

They also tampered with the difficulty making it harder. But who cares about standards when we can brag about muh difficulty right?

pics related

Bill Clinton jokes in a time where everyone and their grandma was making them isn't clever or thoughtful. Fuck off Victor.

You can't ruin that which is already shit.

What were the jokes in the original?

Also

Yeah no, see in cases where WD straight up broke the games they "tweaked". They damn near tampered with every single facet of the games they released, and for every improvement Ireland made, he broke half a dozen other things.

Thats because they dont "localize".

Surprised there's no mention of Fire Emblem yet.

Fire Emblem Fates, specifically. Though I guess people could argue that it's not a good game.

Anything that went through the Working Designs meat grinder counts. Pointless difficulty increases? Check. Replacing actual dialogue with memes now considered cringeworthy? Check. Failing to translate the text that gives the clue to solve a puzzle in the original Lunar, forcing people to solve it through trial and error or just looking up the answer? Check. Working Designs was NISA before NISA existed, and every game they touched is a loss because the majority didn't get remasters or remakes that took them out of Ireland's hands.

shit, now i want to see if someone's done a fan translation of the nip version

No, Xseed are not "pretty good". Xseed are not even "kind of okay". Their translations are fucking awful. The only reason anybody likes them is because even though Xseed are bad, everyone else is CATASTROPHICALLY HORRIFIC. Like your choice was between two week old stale moldy bread, and a literal pile of human feces.

This amuses me. It also applies to the east vs west vidya debate as well

I wouldn't call XSeed's work fucking awful. It's not great, by any means, but I've never heard of XSeed doing shit like not translating important text, memeing the fuck out of anything that went over their translator's head. It feels like the real reason everyone here sucks XSeed's dick so much is because of their corporate policy on censorship. Their vice president (at least I think it was the VP) once said in an interview that XSeed just refuses to bring over a game if they think they would have to censor enough to piss off fans just to bring it over. While that's an admirable policy, I really, really wish Holla Forums would realize that the policy and the translation are two extremely different things, and XSeed's bad translation work shouldn't be acceptable just because of that policy.

Yeah, in a 4D sense that one worked out pretty well.

Cry moar, ya little bitch. While you were crying on momma's dress, I was gitting gud.

Nah.

Wasn't there some japanese shoot-em-up with a western localization that had a shovelware-looking cover with stronk 3DPD womyn with gunz, but kept anime characters in the game?

You're probably thinking of Castle of Shikigami.

Would you also consider it a good thing if your favorite game became "harder" by doubling all the load times?

git patient fagit x)))

You're thinking Mobile Light Force

Mobile Light Force 1 and 2, both published by XS Games. The first was actually Gunbird, and the second was actually the first Shikigami no Shiro. As an added insult, both western releases used practically the same fucking cover art.

So apparently you can put licensing restrictions on fucking cover art now?

How else would you translate that they're speaking a foreign tongue while making sure the tongue is still foreign?

Working Designs is the gold standard in full retard localizations. Timely pop culture references in fantasy JRPGs is the dumbest shit on earth.

You can slap ownership on genes, why does anything surprise you anymore?

I fail to see the problem. The blonde character is clearly speaking Japanese "French", and how would you have translated it?

Pop culture references are always shit. They date the product badly and make it a cringefest for anyone that isn't the same kind of soycuck beta as the translator. Fucking Christ, I wish someone would come and purge translation teams of all the undesirables so some actual work could get done once in a while.

I'd say they're at least average, but you're right in that they seem amazing because a minimum of competency makes it easy to rise above a swarm of drooling retards.

Unless it is translated word for word with the bare minimum of restructuring sentences to make sense then it is a shit job that you shouldn't play. I don't hold with translation in general honestly. Learn Japanese or fuck off.

Ma'am why are you jiggling your breasts stop

I agree 100%, I should of clarified that modern (at the time) references in a fantasy setting are disgustingly out of place even if they're still "fresh". The timely nature of that shit ruins the game even more when newer generations play them. Pop culture is just as disposable as memes, if not more so.

Learn how Japanese works you fucking idiot.

Indeed you should.

You can't refute Satan.

I don't know about ruining the game but the original English script for Final Fantasy Tactics looks like a machine wrote it. The tutorial bits in particular make no sense and probably put of a lot of people on understanding how the game works.

And the PSP version isn't any better, it reads like someone used an "old english" translation script or something.

Idk, probably because I only play raw virgin Nipponese titles. I can't overstate how learning a language really frees you from lots of fucking shackles. Not only in Nipponese, but anything else. Think about it, if video games are being butchered like this, what about books?

This. Translations are for cucks.

I'll never forget that shit in Lunar Eternal Blue with that npc dyke that wants to marry Jean and use her brother as a sperm donor. Pretty sure Working Designs made the whole thing up too.

The made the game needlessly harder as a joke and lots of lines were completely rewritten to include pop culture references.
tcrf.net/Popful_Mail_(Sega_CD)#Regional_Differences

Only hipsters shit on XSEED because they’re the last good company who actually give two shits about what they do. They aren’t perfect, but they do good work most of the time.

You forgot to mention the HILARIOUS change the localization team made to a prank chest at the end of the game. In the original release, there is a chest which looks like all the other chests, but then one of the party members says something like "What is it? … … It's just 1 GP." Just a harmless little joke since no other chests do that. In the localization, they changed this because "it wasn't funny enough." Instead, the same party member will say "OH MY GOD, IT'S A GOLD VORTEX! IT'S SUCKING AWAY ALL OUR GOLD AND THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO TO STOP IT!" And then, predictably, all of your gold vanishes. Also, all of the prices (especially the inn prices) are hiked to exorbitant rates for no reason. Enjoy.

Didn't the game got a sequel as well that we never saw because of how royally they fucked up the localization of the first game, turning it into a financial and critical failure?

Sorry, I got confused. It was the same localization studio though. The game the did that gold chest thing to was called "Vay." They also turned the plot into a fart joke in that game. Working Designs is truly the 8-4 and NISA of yesteryear.

That's all Kikepedia says. Surprisingly the review scores weren't too bad despite its ridiculous difficulty.

Degica is pretty great and they handled game even more niche than xseed on top of funding PC ports for nearly everything they handle. Their only fuck up was censoring Eternal Destiny but they uncensored everything after people complained and added in an option to switch between censored/uncensored.
Also Idea Factory International is slowly getting better, the fact that they're bringing more games to the PC since they would only get censored on consoles is a promising sign.

Not sure if it's a sequel or spiritual successor (I haven't played it yet myself), but I assume you're thinking of Mystic Ark. That game has two different fan-translation patches (and thus part of why I haven't played it yet; not sure which is better).

You're right, I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, but it makes me wonder who is effectively claiming the ownership of that image:
Far as I'd like to think it, as far as ownership goes for cover art it's on the publisher, but most don't/shouldn't care if people are uploading/posting the art work due to it being free publicity and awareness, rather than trying to limit who can use what. Hence why the likes of third party site that watermark whatever cover scans they get their hands on, like MobyGames or Nintendo Life, are some degree of cancerous.

I remember when FE was good and the performances weren't cringy trash.

Nothing like spending an hour on a map carefully planning to ensure no one died only for some group to show up in the last five turns and butcher a few units forcing you to restart.

You know as well as I do there's anally retentive companies like Nintendo that likely have nothing better to do with their tame than to harass people because they are greedy cunts. They'll strike down fan projects that would get them a lot of goodwill and publicity for no other reason than they can.

Yeah. I wish there was some good repository for game cover art, but most of the pages I looked at are sorely lacking in that regard.

I remember there was some game where Hitler was the villain and the localization team was told to remove him but all they did was put sunglasses on him and basically call him "totally not hitler".

persona 2?

Bionic Commando?

Hitler? What ever do you mean?

Mean Bean Machine is harder, which is more fun once you get a hang of the game.

Man fuck Accolade, i'm glad they are gone. They fucked up everything that they touched. Ruinig a port of a classic game to save money on that movie license you just got, real smart…

It can depend on what you're looking for regionally, but The Cover Project and Cover Galaxy, both the main site and the forums (the latter because it can take a long time for either main site to update their roster), have numerous cover scans, which can further have their full scans reduced to front cover art if needed. Sometimes it's also just a matter of using different search engines; specific cover images that might be DMCAed on Jewgle may still be locatable with another search engine. Though sometimes you're just shit out of luck, and stuck with what's out there: Was looking for a larger res scan of Ni No Kuni DS' cover last night, but all the larger size, higher res ones seem to have some bigass copyright mark in the right corner that seems out of place with the rest of the image, while all the ones that don't are all this size, even smaller, or upscaled from one this size or smaller (and thus look even more blocky).

That game was surprisingly fun and the real time cutscenes were just incredibly good and well animated.

Something about that line is really funny to me.

Can't say that I've played the version, was more looking for the cover art as a comparison with both the western and Japanese PS3 releases. Just disappointed I can't find that image at a larger size in still-decent resolution without that copyright symbol.

Speaking of shooters, reminded me of how Activision replaced the original music here with an instrumental of fucking "Ya'll Ready For This?" Something jarring in both a hilarious and shitty way about that being a theme to fight aliens to. Not that the humor of it justifies doing so.

This one isn't quite a localisation flub, they just released a less complete version of the game in the west.
Still a fun game, honestly.

So do bad translations happen both ways?
Like if I go to some Westaboo's apartment and play their copy of Baulder's Gate will everybody be talking about their favorite idols and name dropping their favorite animes?
Are European localizations similarlly bad/exactally the same?

Sometimes they give characters bigger eyebrows.

this is news to me. pretty crazy seeing tbh.
i really enjoyed tetris attacks aesthetics and music.

any more games like this? that got completely rebranded but still contain the same core game?

There's Kirby's Avalanche, which is also a Puyo Puyo game. Then there's the whole Adventure Island/Wonder Boy thing, that I still don't entirely understand.

kirby avalanche and puyo puyo are the same? i thought puyo puyo was mean bean machine.

im not familiar with adventure island or wonder boy

They completely redesigned the characters for the western release, they tried to cater to the Crash Bandicoot audience and failed hard. Funnily enough, Crash got marketed as cutesy for the jap market…

As far as I'm aware Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche are actually the same game.

I don't know about Chameleon Twist 2, but the characters retain the same design in the original game.

I was talking about CT2

What I gather regarding Advnture Island and Wonder Boy is that Wonder Boy was the original arcade game and Adventure Island was an NES port that was rebranded during development, and ended up spawning a whole parrellel series that retained the tone of the original game, while the Wonder Boy series took on more of an action RPG tone for it's later games.

Super Adventure Island 2 plays like the action RPG ones, very underrated.

Were the animals lobotomized in both versions of the game or was it Treehouse's translation that fucked the game?

their dialogue is far more varied in the japanese version and they don't talk about food as much.

Every scrolling shooter those fuckers at Degica add Steam DRM to for their "localizations".

You know what, I'm going to be a faggot and say the Western cover actually came out ahead this time.

The only good thing about the japanese cover art is the logo, that 3 looks slick.

ANYTHING NISA TOUCHES

I loved 7th Saga but I also didn't mind grinding back in the day. There is a patches to fit it. One is called Elnard's Balance Restauration another good one is called 7th Saga Redux by Nati.
romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=1046

I think it was a port that has some licensing issues but loopholes in video game copyright where huge back in the day so they got away with respriting the MC.

Average means horrible.

Are a lot of furfags also commies? I've seen images like that but I don't have enough experience with furries to know.

Yes, however there's also a weirdly large amount of Nazi Furfags, as well as Nazi Traps.

Furries tend to gravitate to wherever people's standards are low. Post-Modernism has stripped the left of its standards, so they pile in.

Explains why they hover around neetsocs.

Found the angry leftykike.

If you keep projecting your faults onto others you will never clean up your own act, Holla Forums

Pretty much every Action RPG on the SNES. The subs are fucking terrible.

And you blew your cover >>>Holla Forums

nigger i beat that when i was 14, just gotta grind for a bit in older towns to steamroll enemies for EXP

7th sagas enemy stats aren't increased. Player level stat progression got reduced.
Higher levels are supposed to give you greater stat gains but they remain at low level rates in the international version.
There are a couple different romhacks that restore the original tables

Nobody remembers 7th Saga in Japan
In NA the increased difficulty has made it a cult classic remembered for its very high difficulty (but still beatable) as well as its innovative way of handling party members.
Seems like a win to me.

This guy gets it.

Which is why it got a Japan only sequel right?
What else can you expect from a localization apologist but stupidity.

that's because it wasn't called 7th Saga in Japan it was Elnard.

Cuckolding.

They did the same to Sword Maniac / X-Kaliber 2097, replacing the original jazzy soundtrack with Psykosonik. Still a bad move, but not nearly as jarring.

Nippon: youtube.com/watch?v=pT0XJsTrAhc
Murica: youtube.com/watch?v=0faQmOBN3tA

I don't brag about eating shit just because I can.

Also see

Localization apologists don't belong here

7th Saga is an actually good SNES gem
You must be a giant casual faggot if you find it hard because the game is not hard, and grinding becomes irrelevant thanks to emulation speed up.
Honestly, shitting over a game with excellent soundtrack, original party member design, and not-casual difficulty is a testament that you're either some casual upset he can't beat it or trying to dissent to shitpost.
Yes, localizers fucked up by increasing the difficulty, but the game is still a gem nevertheless . You can just play a patched version.

Kirby's Avalanche, Puyo Puyo and Mean Bean Machine are all the same game. Puyo Puyo has had a very large amount of games unreleased in the west possibly due to localization including Super Puyo Puyo Tsu that refined many of the original game's flaws. AoSTH Robotnik is funny, yeah, but MBMfags like are shiteaters who will accept an inferior chain 5 and win simulator because of the aesthetics.

I clearly said I liked it because it was harder.

Awakening was released in 2013 here in America and, while people were pointing out differences between the Japanese and North American versions, hardly anyone was outraged.

Fire Emblem Fates was released in 2016 here in America. When released in Japan during the summer of 2015, people knew that there were sequences that were far too risque to be accepted by western audiences, such as sultry adult themes regarding scenes in bathhouses and the headpatting sequences. Fire Emblem Fates was analyzed far more than Awakening because anyone who had been paying attention to how NoA handles Japanese ports knew that there were going to be major changes. There was no doubt in anyone's minds that there were going to be changes, but the extensiveness of these changes is what really got people pissed off, because that went far above and beyond what people thought.

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia's localization work was handled by 8-4. Fire Emblem Fates was handled by the Nintendo Treehouse team.

:^)

Fixed.

FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME

I never said it was a bad game but the localization is universally regarded as bad for all the reasons already listed on this thread. You grew up with the butchered version and have nostalgia for it, good for you but don't cry like a bitch when people call it out for being a shitty localization. Like seriously faggot, get a grip, it's almost as bad as Bayou Billy.

Proper game starring the three Mobile Light Force cover girls when? Why is XS Games inactive nowadays?

So you just want a Charlie's Angels game?

Mean Bean machine is the worst version of Puyo

Japs know english
They know all the bullshit these libtards do with their games

You know why they dont care?
Because japs are libtards too

They don't care because they don't care. Westerners can do what they like as long as the money is the same.

Not caring when someone disrespectfully pisses all over your work isn't commendable either. Politics shouldn't really enter into it if you have any pride in your creations.

always wanted to get into that shit without success
is there a "fixed" rom version?

with aliens?

Yes, 7th Saga Redux.

Nobody respects videogames and Japanese videogames even less.

If only.

This.

JUST TRANSLATE THE FUCKING GAME

I have no time for people who don't know Japanese culture. None of that accessibility and Western sensibilities crap.

Still not sure how you can manage to spell a character's name three or four different times in one script. I mean, I suppose maybe different parts of the script might get sent to different people (which while that might save time strikes me as prompting consistency issues), but names, especially for major characters, ought to be nailed down first. Like, have someone figure those out in advance and then send out a memo to the rest of the people involved as reference.

They have pride in their creations when it comes to their intended audience (japanese people). They don't care about the outside world.

thanks, hope you're not trolling

this might interest you

good one

The localisation while pretty shit in places (and the censored swimsuits), ruined the game in the fact it scared hardcore fans away and probably killed the chance of a pretty fun exploration rpg getting a sequel

I sunk 200 hours into one playthrough because I enjoyed it above anything else,
bueno

Atleast we got Xenoblade 2 coming

Cuck.

nice argument cuck

Plenty of Japs know English but in Nihon speaking English is a highly sought skill.

Japanese who speak English generally don't work in the videogame industry, why would they? How many Chinese speaking Americans work in the videogame industry? They can have better careers elsewhere.

Kill yourself.

SMH man

It's a part of their education retard.

Yeah like I said its localisation is abhorrent in places, doesn't take away from the gameplay, Mechplay or world. And thankfully retarded translation appears in two or three dialogues in the main story and about 15 minor characters out of hundreds who have flavor text

I'm not shilling a game on a dead console and shit I'm just kinda sad that the game will probably not get a sequel and left off on a cliffhanger

Anyone got that massive list of changes made to Fire Emblem characters over the years? It started getting really bad with Path of Radiance I think.

There's only a handful of solutions to characters speaking the language you're translating to in the original script, and "make them speak another language" is better than "make them speak a ridiculous dialect" or "don't do anything and leave the dialog non-nonsensical"

Marcia's weird swears are purely an NoA invention. Her original personality is actually pretty docile and shy.

In all honesty, the sequel-bait ending made me more angry than any of the cringe-inducing dialogue, at least in the short term. Something that doesn't get touched on as much as the actual changes to the script is the one or two abysmal performances that made their way into the final product. I swear, XCX's voicework runs the full spectrum from (relative) standouts like Vandham or Nagi to crimes against mankind like Lin and Tatsu's performances. On top of that, every scene with spoken lines in both the story and the affinity missions has these pauses between lines that are just a beat or two too long, like each line is a separate file that has to be dragged out of the disk. It's seriously weird. Like you say, though, the gameplay hits so many of the things I love that I can still have fun, just with the character volume turned off.

It's not that weird, more intelligent ones will see that nazism is more edgy than socialism and they take that because degenerates are attracted to things that are currently socially unacceptable. Just remember they're not actually for the 14 or 88.

The absolute worst.

Ike also seemed to flipflop between clueless retard and overly wise samurai master depending on who he was talking to. Really the only consistent text in that game were the joke characters, who were probably all not like their originals at all.

I did not care for the DQVIII chimney sweeper localization.

How the fuck do these people get jobs in the first place. I seriously don't understand. If you learn Japanese then you must have a passion for their language and culture, right?

So why? Why deliberately distort and destroy it in your work? And if you actually hate Japan and its culture then why engross yourself in it in the first place?

Oh man, I didn't realize until just now.
Jeez.

It's because they hate it that they try to ruin it for everyone else. Learn Japanese if you want to be free of their gatekeeping.

pretty much everything imported from Japan back then was 'localized' hard, people only have a problem now for some reason

I think a lot of them are weebs who started to hate japan when they found out japan is not the liberal progressive paradise that there favourite anime makes it out to be. So they just fuck things up out of spite.

There has always been a community that has complained about this shit when they found out. Hell there are fan retranslations for some of the more popular titles in the era.I know I was pissed when I found out they fucked with the games I liked as a kid. Only reason they got a way with it in the 90s was a lack of available information and by the time most people found out about this shit the games were half a decade to a decade old and the industry has moved on so raising a big stink over it was not going to do much.
Things actually got a bit better in 00's but even that era had it's issues like the birth of NISA and localisers sneaking in shit like Leetspeek and other shitty internet jokes. But a lot of people could tolerate it cause at the very least it was hell lot better then the shit they pulled in the 90s.
The reason people give a shit now is cause Localisers are trying to bring back 90s era censorship in the name of progressiveness. in the fucking information era. People can check both versions of the game to see if anything has been fucked with and then compile that shit into an article or a video and spread the word around. Now the kind of people this shit ticks off can get mad while it is still relevant.
Also helps most of them have a twitter account where they gloat about how they take pride in fucking them up. That adds yet another layer of anger that was not there before.

tl:dr People can find out they fucked with shit faster so people can get mad while a game is relevant.

People didn't know about it back then, retard.

How was Shadows of Valentia's localization?

That should tell you all you need to know.

I don't get it

From what I've seen it's not quite reddit.txt but a lot of the side characters seem to have pointlessly zany personalities that really clashes with the game's mood.

Hell lot better then Fates and better then Awakening but still not all that great. Tolerable but there is still an out of place line here and there.

8-4 can be o.k. if you keep your eye on them. It's when you leave them on there own and let them do what they what is when the cancer happens.

And it's weird, because the NES version is actually more faithful with it's dialogue, regardless of the name changes.

Don't forget axing party chat.

JP version has it in english already

(checked)
But is it Ye Olde Goon English?

Uh no, it reads more like simple english.

That just makes the decision make even less sense.

Well there's the problem. They would have to rewrite it to fit the stupid accents they use.

Since we are bitching about 8-4 might as well post this. Not sure how hard they fucked with the other games in the series but this one really noticeable cause it did not have dub so even with minimal knowledge of Japanese you can tell something is off by the tone or the voice clips not matching up with the text. Most noticeably they changed Shing to Kor and it is distracting as hell that the audio and text don't match.

If I remember right then Japanese version already had a translated script on the card it just needed some cleaning up to fit in text boxes,etc. 8-4 just had to add accents cause they are obsessed with adding them in. Also they axed party chat for no reason.

Not localization, but it was completely ruined by removing the thing that made the game popular.

This was Nintendo's suicide.

>Source archive.is/evD12 (They actually deleted the original article)
Did the SJW faggots at HG101 find something offensive about the game or what?

Wait they actually started to delete there old content? Bad enough they went full SJW now they want to get rid of anything of value from there site?

Oh yeah, you should see what they did to the Valis articles, and then try to find the archive of what it used to be.

I am trying to find examples on google but all anyone talks about is the furniture.

Just download the Japanese version off Freeshop.

I only started playing JRPGs and VNs about 7 years ago.

That said the TL of Xenogears, FF8 or Suikoden is bad but it is not political or deliberately censored. I can accept bad quality to an extent but outright fucking with the game doesn't sit well with me.

I thought Xenogears had a good translation? I remember hearing they tried to make it as accurate as they could.

I enjoyed the localized version more because it actually made it a challenge and, even though by accident, gave it a competitive advantage over other turn based RPG series

Makes me wonder if they've updated articles for stuff like Shadow Hearts to focus on how "problematic" they find them under the [CURRENT YEAR] mindset. Kind of a shame to see what used to be an interesting site devolve so hard due to political mindsets.

To my knowledge Bamco used to hold 8-4 on a reasonably short leash, at least regarding the series (they handled the main series games from Abyss to Hearts R). Hearts R though Bamco didn't even want to bring west to begin with until Sony forced their hand, so I suspect they likely didn't give a shit for keeping 8-4 on the leash there anyhow. And then there's 8-4's statement that games where they are given almost/complete control of them to be favorites of theirs. I suppose those really let them exercise their "creativity". And you're right, with the Japanese dub present, it makes localization changes all the more apparent.

Anyhow, while they're certainly fond of circling the toilet bowl, especially of late, and have always been hit or miss, they're the sort of company you have to take on a case-by-case basis for if they handled a game well or not. I certainly wouldn't advocate buying anything new they work on these days (and thus funding their existence), but I also wouldn't say to just write off anything they've ever had a hand in either.

From what I've heard Square's for some reason convinced the accenting in VIII was what sold the game so well here (rather than the FFXII demo disc; not the only time a demo disc has sold a game either), and thus now they have to weigh whether it's worth the additional cost in editing the scripts vs bringing the games west entirely. They're also ignoring that DQVIII was voiced here, thus making the accents less of a comprehensive issue compared to text only.

Pretty sure Party Chat was cut from the DS version of IV either to make up for the additional cost of the accents on the rest of the game, or was deemed a feature that wouldn't be missed for some fucking reason.

Is that the PSP one/a port based on the PSP one? Just makes me remember Mato saying that in his comparison of scripts, the DS one seems the most accurate to him despite the flowery language.

Connections, I'd wager. Plus, SA's been around quite a while, and will be nearing two decades old in the next couple of years.

Control of what an audience is able to experience. Additionally, while certainly not a problem exclusive to more recent games, it seems like standards for localizations have been regressing back to that of older eras, as to what is considered appropriate or not, both on the content AND process ends of things.

It was a rushjob done by one guy. Not bad but needed more editing. Better than Nisa does nowadays with a whole team and smaller script though.

I CAN'T READ JAPANESE

They are taught to pass some mildly english-flavored exams.

Then how were you trying to find examples of the Japanese dialog?

Tecmo Cup Soccer Game.

I don't know how they thought they'd get more money by doing this.

There was an user about a year back talking about how the Polish translation of Baldur's Gate was apparently a really good one, with voice acting done by high-profile theatre performers, so there's that.

Goddamn

Is the fan patch for 2 out yet?

English can be ordered identically.
Identical order can be done in English.
English order can be done identically.
You can order English identically.

It takes less effort to just do it right. The only problem is if you are stuck with jap character restraints which there is no reason to be for an actual for profit by the company translation.

100% sure the xseed defenders are the same spammers that work there and post their garbage constantly.

You don't think if your country was taught another language said country wouldn't be more fluent in it overall? There's more people in Japan who can speak English than Spanish that's for sure.

There are countries which were conquered by brits which can't speak English worth shit.
There are retards in America which can't speak English.

Whenever you see someone say this they are lying. People have been translating JPN since the Portuguese landed in the16th century.

No what they really mean is that your average normalfag gamer finds aspects of Japanese culture alien and problematic. So they have to clean up and Westernize the script.

The DS Dragon Quests are the only ones that translation made literally unplayable. I think someone fixed at least one of them, but you should just play the translated NES/SNES versions.

The job of a translator is to translate. I've noticed that many localizers are all wannabe Hollywood script writers but they couldn't get a job.

Those countries didn't make said language an essential part of a curriculum did they?
lol

Hudson purchased the license to port Wonder Boy to other systems and chose to rebrand it with Takahashi-meikin (Master Higgins) as the new MC. There was never a loophole that needed to be covered, though it's possible that Sega was jealously guarding Westone's Wonder Boy brandname

topkek

as the original was a Captain Tsubasa game, they probably didn't want to pay for both the license to localize the game AND the license for the IP

Pretty sure its been out for a while.
Finished the whole game with just the pre-release beta patch a year or two ago, and I didn't notice any particularly awkward shit in the retranslation or had any issues finishing the game.

All commonwealth countries did
You can stop being retarded any time

A goon from Something Awful was hired as the translator for the GBA remake of Final Fantasy 4, and possibly for 5 and 6 as well.
This goon decided to stick a bunch of memes and references into the game's translation, including directly referencing goons and Something Awful early in the script.
This translation was reused for the iOS and PSP ports of Final Fantasy 4, even though it is significantly worse than the translation used in the DS remake of the game.
The DS remake has its own problems, but the translation is not one of them. It's remarkably faithful to the original Japanese text. It's a damn shame it had to be released on the DS. System limitations locked that game down to a silky smooth 15 FPS with highly deformed character models.

another lol
Either way Japan uses English all the time. You really think those fucks don't understand a word of English?

You mean Engrish

Goons also infested the Pokemon games with memes. I remember threads there back in ~2008 gloating about it.

Thank God I know French so I can avoid this shit whenever possible.

It's a hard language. The fact that they know any at all is impressive. Point is educating your country on a language is going to lead to your country having a firmer grasp on it.

Aren't french translation also shit but for different reasons?

Jacques please stop, I bet your games have memes anyway and if they don't, I'll just send emails asking them to put them in and your publishers will surrender to my demands. :>)

lol

Richard Honeywood tried hard, very hard

It's been finished since the end of last year.
at2.metalbat.com/?p=664

I'm not sure who handled the french script for Wild Arms 5 (while XSEED handled the NA release, 505 Games handled it in PAL; not sure if they handle their own translation, or are just a publisher that whore out to other translation groups), but I remember reading something that it was apparently noted as having shitty in-jokes on the part of whoever did the English script which affected both the character personalities and tone of the game itself, as well as spouting stuff like French political slogans at points. To be fair though, I don't speak French, and thus I can't exactly say what the ratio of good to shit translation is compared with how things seem to be in English, but the point is I'd wager playing on Baguette is also liable to be rather hit or miss.

I was looking for examples of literal translation and what we got, side-by-side.
FUCKING Holla Forums LET ME POST

I honestly think the "secret" is that if you head north from the northmost eastern peninsula you can pass through a secret wall and get to a special shop which, in the second quest, contains the Blue Ring. Which is pretty handy to know, but utterly fucking useless at the beginning of the first quest. They should have kept the original hint since it was actually useful.

You'd notice pretty quickly that your money is going down from using arrows though. The cryptic hint is bad, but pretty much all the hints are really cryptic like that.

I better never see these scum in person

never stated I disagreed with you in that regard. Their job is to translated, not tinker with the game. They should be criticized for that. nevertheless, the end result was a mistake into miracle. There are way worse offenders who also profane and tinker, but also the end result is utter fucking shit compared to the original. I.E: The DQ series for the DS

I can't read this shit.

Tried to make it more readable. Probably failed miserably, but give it a try.

You didn't try hard enough; find another higher resolution scan.

Just tell us what's in there, what's it about, what happened. That'll take less time.

This

Thankya

Do cover arts count? The overseas version of this one suffered pretty badly.

if you're gonna argue, post something.

holy fuck didn't know super metroid had such a baller Jap cover art
fucking attack on red ridley's chin is so shit compared to it

No because that always happens because of marketing reasons. Also Super Matroid's cover looked good for 1994.

fair enough

You know sometimes I wonder about some of the translations in Nioh. Generally they've done a pretty great job by either just transliterating from Japanese or making a direct translation but a few of them are head scratchers. I'm not sure why they went with wheelmonk instead of wanyudo but I'm sure glad they didn't call Onyudo bigmonks.
I haven't got a clue why oni are called yoki, apparently the original translation is 妖鬼. I know that 鬼 means oni but I'm not sure what 妖 means. My translate-fu seems to indicate that it means ghost or apparition.

It's not #1 or anything but it's certainly efficient if most of the country knows a good chunk of english.

Nigger, if that was the case then Kojima should have a grasp on English as good as Shakesphere with all the American movies he watches. Japs understand English about as well as the average weeb knows Japanese.

they don't
your argument is circular in nature, You claim they know English because their education is good and their education must be good because they know English.

oh wow japs sure are fluent in english

Still puts my brain in knots.

Kojima's not one to read Shakesphere though.
Watch more of their shit. They often use English in their language for a shitload of their dialog.

It's no better than "they don't". If you've seen a lot of Japanese shit you'd know that they use English often in their vocabulary. I'm mainly speaking from experience. But my point from the start is that they know english better than any other language other than their own. Not that their all fluent or have a wide vocabulary.

you aren't wrong, but unless some jap-speaking anons make their own localization company, XSEED and sometimes PQube are the best we've got. NISA, Aksys, Bandai Namco can all eat a dick. And unfortunately, if the anons who ARE fluent enough in Japanese to make translating a profession, they aren't gonna dick around and do it for videogames, they'll go where the real money is at instead by translating for companies making international deals and such or by going 200% and getting into a program to go LIVE in Japan and teach English at a school.

Nigger that's not the point; the point is that when combined with a generalized compulsory English education and watching a mountain of English language movies Kojima's still fluent in the language as any other Jap, which is to say barely.
For someone who thinks he knows how Japs speak English you barely understand the language yourself.
Anime where seiyu are told to stumble through dialog does not give you linguistic "experience" on how most Japs can't into English.

It was that Fates went passed what anyone here on Holla Forums could of fathomed that pissed people off regardless of your feelings on fates Treehouse needs suicide.

You aren't wrong but fuck even I would take them over NISA and kikehouse.

Barely is still knowing English. I never meant they were all perfectly fluent. Just that they had a firmer grasp on the language.
Not my fault you used an unfitting reference. The Metal Gear games aren't Shakespear. But comparing them to Shakespear is pretty retarded. And I never even said he used it as a source.
Get on my level fag. Anime's 5% of the shit I watch these days. Japs put English into everything and you see it all over their media and language. Keep bitching.

Every CAPCOM game, but especially Breath of Fire.

You keep shifting those goalposts, user.

Seems less a marketing issue and more the fact that rotating the picture 90 degrees would've made it look like ass. The contract on the original artist probably ran out too so they had some guy bootleg it in a weekend.

Keep projecting user.

I feel the FFT script problems are overstated. All the lines that are more than just silly wording come from chapter 4, the tutorial or some parts of the interface (ブレス becoming bracelet instead of breath).

l i t t l e m o n e y

Oh it's silly and a bit annoying, but it's hardly unintelligible gibberish people claim the script is entirely.

I'm trying to play Ni No Kuni and the localization is killing me. Not only the english one, ALL of the localizations like french and spanish are absolutely wild. Crap, the first city is named differently in EVERY language, what the fuck.

Forgot pic.

The game sucks anyway

I'm going to play 7th Saga with a patch that fixes the English version's fuckups (plus a fuckup with magic growth in the original version). Any recommendations?

I mean, what we got still looked fine, but it's fucking annoying to see shit like this happening for no reason at all.

puyo puyo tetris was actually well done

Yeah it's puzzling as all hell.

That's true. the Polish translation of Baldur's Gate was praised by everone for its quality. It sold very well and was one of the reason why CD Project become such important developer in Poland.

And speaking of polish localization of bioware games. This didn't ruined the game and it's debatable if this was even a bad or a good change but localization of the first Mass Effect is famous for making Wrex a russian naval soldier in terms of swearing. In the orginal he throw fucks maybe like 1 or 2 times in entire game. In polish dub he curses in almost every other sentence. Let's compare one of the first scenes we meet him, when soc officer warn him to stay away from the Fist. In english dub he say "I don't take orders from you". In polish dub? He cut the officer mid sentence with "Spierdalaj" ("Fuck off"). And the next sentence continue this tone

eng Wrex: You should warn Fist. I will kill him.
pol Wrex: Powiedz to Pięści. Zajebie chuja (Tell this to Fist. I will fucking kill fucker)

And it continue through entire game. Truth to be said, my translation doesn't exactly represent how it sound in the game since polish is more diverse in terms of vulgarity than just varius form of "fuck", but you get the point.

eng Wrex: Nice ship, Shepard
pol Wrex: Niezła, kurwa, łajba, Shepard (Nice fucking ship, Shepard)

eng Wrex: He's no use to you now. Let me kill him.
pol Wrex: Na chuj nam on teraz? Pozwól mi go zajebać (For fuck do we need him now? Let me fucking kill him.)

(in answer to a question about krogans working for Saren. Can't remeber what he said in english version.)
pol Wrex: Gówno, nie Kroganie. Skurwiele podlizują się Sarenowi. Wchodzą mu do dupska bez wazeliny (They are shit, not Krogans. Motherfuckers suck up to Saren. They go in his asshole without vaseline)

is there a way to play the 7th saga as it meant to be played?

Read the thread again nigger. It was mentioned.

Have fun. Go blind. Learn as you play. You'll have the most fun that way.

All characters are viable, but Valsu (the green priest) is the most OP partner later on. Don't Main him as MC, he's mainly made to be a partner support.

God damn that is terrible. I legit hate these people who snatch up these translating jobs and then don't actually translate and instead just make up their own bullshit.

WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SHIT WRITING FAGGOT, YOU'RE NOT EVEN A WRITER JUST A TRANSLATOR

Is this supposed to be a reference to something?

It will never not make me mad.

That's just retarded.

wtf is wrong with Axel in the US box? He has tits, huge arms/fists, and a far like Harrison Ford.

*face like

Everything after Square and Enix came together has been fucked by localization.

It wasn't 8-4 doing the DS ports or at least not the first two; it was Plus Alpha who was putting the accents in but they didn't have enough time to get to the party chat so it was axed.

Fuck Honeywood; his bullshit with DQ8s original localization is the reason why the series is now cursed with terrible translations.
Also, he's trying to get it spread out into other games, last I heard.

Shit they were fucked by localization before. Their translations are shit.

Nigger the original FFT script blows kill yourself

KYS faggot
its just some engrish here and there, waay better than ye olde english from WOTL which is the actual shitty script and the worst version

At least back then you could rationalize it as the dark ages where they were first starting out and Enix not having really having stable footing.

Really is bullshit how no one translated DQIV so the only hope left is the person trying to fix the DS port.

Same goes for all the Japs who speak English. They'll be working high level jobs at the government or some zaibatsu.

Translating videogames ranks pretty low in career choices.