This game isn't actually that good, is it?

I've been playing this game on and off for, wow, almost since it came it, and it just occurred to me that it really isn't that good of a game. The game's visuals all kind of blur together, especially since every single song somehow has bumps. The gameplay is really a luck of the draw as to whether you actually get a good score (With ironmode instantly making scoring a free-for-all and adding another die to the chance in the game). Every single song that likely will be played, has been played, and any song you think anyone hasn't yet played either already has about half a dozen people on the list, or everyone also played it and reached the top spot at least 4-6 years ago. With the exception of the Ninja and the Co-op character, there is very little difference in the gameplay that you experience. All songs either go into 1 of three categories which is “Uphill”, “Downhill”, or “Mountain range” and it all ends up looking the same regardless. Going uphill, there is very little challenge to it all because you see what comes and can plan it it, meanwhile downhill is either “grab everything” or playing pseudo-ninja mode. While, at the time, it sounded like a novel idea, now it just looks like a samey brightly-colored…thing without an identity.

If I may be so bold as to claim this was one of the first meme games to exist.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h0es731nYV0
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's baby first rythm game

It's neat to feed it songs and see what comes out. It would be nice on a handheld as a timekiller, but on PC it's pretty much an interactive visualization.

It was a fad, really. It's very easy for the most part.

Basically this. I'll happily boot it up when I want to listen to music, but need something to do other than JUST listen to music.

And, how long have you been waiting to post that?

Ninja is NOT how the game should be played.
Pick an intense song and play Pusher Elite.

This is one of my favorite score-attack games ever. Really crazy fast puzzle action that needs focus and quick decision-making.

Claiming you can play a puzzle-character downhill by just "grabbing everything" is like claiming you can play devil may cry by just blindly button mashing.

it's a rhythm game for PC gamers, it's meant to be really casual.

I never liked it and thought Beat Hazard was a better use-your-own-music game, but I wouldn't really recommend that either. It's essentially the Windows Media Player visualizer with basic gameplay attached. Music games like these were a short-lived fad and if I want to play a simple game while listening to my own music, I usually pop open something like Hotline Miami instead.
I wouldn't call it a "meme game," though. Just an unremarkable game that met the needs of a niche that was feeling neglected.

It's an actual rhythm game, unlike most japanese ones where there is only rhythm and no game. You just press buttons in tact, you don't have direct control over character/vehicle/action.
It's like with QTE movies and real video games.
Audiosurf is actually a real game.

Only ever played the second one and it's an alright rythm game that depending on your choice of songs can get pretty hard.

I make my own music and have in the past listened to it with this game It was fun

it's an okay time waster I guess. it was only notable because it was an indie game that was released on steam back when indie games were just becoming a thing

I find that songs specifically created for other rhythm games are the best fit for "Use your own music" games like Melody's Escape and Beat Hazard.
You can't say this and not post your music, user

ok
embed and link related
fair warning ahead of time, it's shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=h0es731nYV0

:)

now that's a turn of events I wasn't expecting

I like how the original still supplants the Unity, Steam Workshop sequel in the public eye

Audiosurf is absolute garbage. Rhythm games ONLY work with songs that were made for the game, this shitty "chose your own music xD"-meme doesn't work.

There's not much really to compare it to; because of the track generator it is one of the only rhythm games that doesn't have god awful music selection. I do wish the generator was more biased to melodic phrases than the rhythm section and that there was a deterministic mode with segregated highscores, but beyond those I can't really think of anything I would want more out of the game.

Why?

It works when you need to CREATE your own patterns for the music you added. Like in OSU or Frets of Fire.

Its very clearly not meant to have a large amount of time put into it, like you seemingly are, the game is basically really easy, but the whole mountain/valley roller coaster rhythm game thing is a first, exclusive to this game and it seems like that is the only justification for this games existence. It could use more game play mechanics, sure but its an okay game. It more or less gives you an excuse to dedicate 100% of your attention to your music.

As much as you wanted to reply to a post like that to show the internet how superior you are

Holy fuck exactly right, the same asshole superiority I've seen on reddit screencaps. Fucking hell.

I just asked it as a joke. What are you guys so pent or paranoid up about?