RULE THE WA/v/ES: FRENCH REMOVAL EDITION

RULE THE WA/v/ES: FRENCH REMOVAL EDITION

Old thread here: 8ch.net/v/res/13513200.html#q13513200

OP is back and ready to continue the expansion of the Italian Empire, leading the Regia Marina against our sworn enemies the French, as well as Slavs for some reason. For those who are just joining us, Rule the Waves is a mild/moderately autistic game where you play as the head of a nation's Navy. You manage your fleet construction, give orders in battle (depending on difficulty) and make policy decisions. Complicating the whole process is the endless struggle to balance the budget, adapt to your rivals designs, satisfy the politicians and deal with the fact that your glorious new Battle-cruiser will likely be obsolete before it's completed.

This is the third time Holla Forums has played RtW, this time as the nation of Italy, Europe's second weakest Naval power. A quick rundown

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO PARTICIPATE
I run almost all major policy decisions past Holla Forums before implementing them, only resolving them myself if they're very minor or Holla Forums has already given feedback on what they want to do. As such, I will often ask for opinions on political events. But in addition, the following things can be adjusted and should be brought up often
As of now this is largely balanced, with some emphasis on researching new guns
Right now we're only training gunnery to keep costs low to finance our new BCs. We can add either Night Fighting or Torpedo Warfare to our training regiments
"Can we design a cruiser to be used as a long-range raider, but still be able to fight on it's own"
"Build more subs/DDs/a new Capital
No ship will be allowed to die without a name, so I ask for Holla Forums to christen them
"ur a fgt"

The ML-class CAs got a majority of their hits on the enemy Bs that had been crippled in the early exchange, so their hit-log is a bit misleading.

3 hours of downtime, and when I try to post "Too many threads, try again later". While it's a bit too late for me to make any progress on the campaign, I wanted to make the thread to keep the play going.

Other urls found in this thread:

nws-online.proboards.com/thread/1221/fredricks-tidbits-clarifications-extra-info
google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1x7Q2wEHD_NV-5MeFWcWB2BRH97Y&ll=36.00225524115582,-15.695483796829421&z=4
pastebin.com/s0i93LHw
pastebin.com/SZN6yQF5
pastebin.com/Vm8BDX5W
pastebin.com/XP2YL2d5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Before I go, posting the current state of our fleet, as well as the construction status of our new Capital line.

ready when you are cunt

There must be nothing left above the waterline at all.

On a name recommendation, I request 'Et Tu Brute' for some kind of ship, preferably a sub.

It's 3:15AM over here and I've got work tomorrow, but I'll be running the campaign once I get home. At that point it's my weekend, so we can get a lot done quicker.

IIRC, Mighty Faggot took a 4in to the superstucture and a 3" to the hull. Shame those things are so fragile.

Submarines are entirely abstracted, rolling for attacks on each turn and when in the area of an action. If you want I'll name a new one, but just letting you know.

Alright, but also do add:
Caeasr's Palace
Biggus Dickus
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
Giulio Regeni
Baguette Eater
Zuppa Romana

As for production, I believe we should go for subs to implement a more defensive approach when inevitably the French are gonna get supplied by the Ruskies. On that note, how comes Crimea doesn't have a base?

Potential names :

Frogg killer
Snail smasher
Berret sinker
Stripe spooker
Withe flag hunter

Spaghetti Nigger
Vento Aureo
Le Bizzarre Nave di GioGio

Suckle Dem Wolf Titties
Victor's Super Duper Ship
Savoy-licious
Racconigger
Nizza Nizza Wanna Pizza

Nelson Class style BB when?

I'll throw in some names as well:
Vincere
Popeship
Pizzapie

It's "La Bizzarra Nave di Gio Gio"

Vento Aureo is already there tho
i called it first

What are you even going to put on top of that ship? Don't forget about that arms treaty that won't let you have guns bigger than 10-inch and displacement above 10.000 tonnes
We already got triple turrets that sucked, thanks pastas so why stop there? i want my quadmounts nao
Reminds me, what are you going to christen their class as?
You asked for it

We need to have a ship named Chef Boyardee.

Removal of additional French tonight, Captains.

Once some of the budget frees up I'll increase sub production.

Probably once our new line of capitals is finished

That was from a different user's game, not ours.
So shift some research into Turrets and mountings? Shouldn't be a problem.
I generally let the first in a given class bear the name of their class. While most capitals end up being 1-ship runs, I feel it gives a sense of importance to that ship, acting as the vanguard of it's class. That being said, if you missed it they're BB Ave Caesar, BC Pax Romana and BC Italia il Audace.

I have a couple of questions regarding the start of the game

I set it to historical resources, large fleets as Italy, and this is what the auto generator came up with, 4(+1 building) battleships and 2 CL +2 destroyers in construction
i'm not complaining about this outcome but it seems to me that even on large fleet setting the autogenerator comes up with some strange fleet compositions that almost look as if it didn't have enough resources to do anything wholly. Is it at all a good idea to play on this mode, or will the other countries cope and build a proper fleet soon?

Additionally, when i open the designs for the battleships it shows that i cannot build another with those exact specifications within the weight limit, but i assume that is because the class exceeded its design speed, hence the 19 knots, and was originally built with 18 knots specification. This would make sense.
However, the 7 inch battery consists of quality 0 guns despite the ship supposedly being built in a local yard, while Italy only has access to quality -1 7 inch guns. Is this some sort of bug?

As for the fleet, i'd suggest a few decently cheap, well armed, fast cruisers with short range(UNLESS this affects how often it intercepts raiders), light machinery and cramped accomodation to deal with enemy raiders such as AMCs, CLs and, if we get a 2+ vs 1, perhaps even CAs.
Suggested names:
Frantoio Immigrante
Salsa Speciale

If raiders aren't a problem and likely wont be, maybe we can get off padding our capitals with some heavily armed support cruisers, assuming the gun layout for currently buildable CAs aren't about 2 minutes from being outdated.

Well tell Arakai he's wrong

While we're on the subject of research, how's our gunnery & machinery research coming along? And whatever path leads to motor torpedo boats?

We actually have those already in the Mussolini's Lamborghini class. Pre-battlecruiser pocket battleships, made to add extra near-capital class guns to a fleet line from the second rank and to confront & destroy all other cruisers with advantage of decent armor and accurate relatively quickfiring main guns in non-fleet engagements while outrunning contemporary battleships & early battlecruisers if caught in a worst case scenario. With the 'destroy other cruisers' point, they also fill the anti-raider role you're looking for, albeit from a far different philosophy, as they aren't particularly cheap.

Seconded

Except he's not, because "Avventure" is plural while "Nave" is singular.

Starting ships can be built abroad and any ship can can also be built slightly overweight (thought it isn't recommended outside of fringe cases with treaties).

OP mobile-posting here. Our Vittorio Emanuele class and Regina Elena class battleships are French made, which makes refitting them out of the question until after the war. Annoyingly, their engines are beginning to act up due to obsolecense.

The autogenerator is strange, yeah.

Bloody frogs.

Campaign will resume in rougly one hour, unless OP stops to get tendies on his way home.

Well never mind me then

OP, would it be outside of your technological capabilities to design a cute little sub with modest range and 4-6 breasts single-launch torpedo tubes?
Call the class Wolfgirl and love enemy logistics in packs of 3-4. Or just send them in suicide charges at enemy battlecruisers.
Alternatively, 2 torpedo tubes and fuckhuge dick range, maybe a deck gun instead of tubes to put lovings of unarmed convoys on a new quality level.

Also, is there any better translation than Ragazza del Lupo?

There's no sub design, just a few classes research unlocks.

For those wondering about research, here's our current progress. Names have been recorded and will be distributed as new ships are designed and built. I've also included our the current distribution of naval forces, which are very odd. While I can't tell for sure, it almost seems like Russia is using it's Navy to protect French colonial holdings, to allow France to keep the main body of it's Navy in the Med. That being said, we've managed to surpass them in power after downing three of their battleships.

Like said, subs just get grouped into broad categories. That being said, I can name a few after some wolfgirls if you'd like.

This is doable, especially since most of our CL line is only good for fighting DDs.

Russian ships in the tropics. What could possibly go wrong?

Our first Battlecruiser is commissioned, thankfully free of any defects. The Italia il Audace is 7 months away from completion. In Russia, Slavs are bitching about the war despite the only encounters between us and them being a few shots fired back and forth.

You're gonna love this: The Russian battleship that moved into the South Pacific damaged itself and was interned.

how can you even enjoy these literal spreadsheet simulators, do you look at accountant books and rejoice?

Russia, pls clean up your act. pls.

Mario Mario catches a Russian raider in the Med, and we take first blood in actual combat with them. With the good news comes some bad news: France has launched their first Dreadnought.

Did they put it all into the deck?

Pls do. And also unrestricted sub warfare because never enough convoy lovings.

It isn't terrible, but it's only as well armored as our battlecruiser and only technically as well armed. Also slow. Also torpedo tubes.

user, please no. We're in a precarious position and can't afford to attract the ire of the Germoneys, Burgerstanis or perfidious Albion. We need all our subs sinking enemy ships, especially while we're in the Happy Times of garbage anti-submarine warfare technology. I approve of seawolfgirls though.

So, while most of our combat involves our patrolling cruisers picking off enemy raiders, we do get a healthy grouping of technology upgrades. While our finances are still a bit low, we can certainly begin the process of designing a BB or BC to take advantage of this.

Four centerline turrets is nice, but we don't have the superfiring positions to make a double-double design or a Nelson/three fore-one aft quad turret semi-Nelson, do we? Far more intriguing are the mine rails. We should throw together a mining DD- assuming they're more efficient than the pure auxilliary ships in this duty and will preferentially avoid combat in the matching system, maybe 600 tons since we've seen that 400 tons are too dodgy at this timeframe and wasting 800+ tons on a backliner is questionable- and definitely a new general purpose light cruiser to fulfill CL user's wish.

For the latter, lots of six inch guns (with focus on superfiring back turrets, since it's likely to run & gun, fore turrets are less important) good machinery, alright range so we can dump them into colonial service as necessary, and tack-on mine rails so they can serve in both combat and mining duties. Torpedoes as a useful but not vital afterthought, 2 or 3 inchers as an afterthought's afterthought. Armor proofed in the places that count against common DD guns or a little better as weight allows. Weight a little towards the deeper end of the CL pool, but not scale-tipping.

The French unveil their Battle-cruiser, and it's pretty damn hard hitting, if fragile. In other news, Austria manages to make a reasonable ship for once.

That battlecruiser's gonna be a problem if those guns aren't -1, especially since ours only has 1" of deck.

The Dunkerque is just asking to get the HMS Hood treatment, although it's quite distressing how easily it can pursue any of our capital ships constructed so far and probably peg them at range, too. Erzherzog Karl looks obnoxious to sink in a capital ship duel, but is probably going to get eaten by torpedoes thanks to the middling secondary caliber.

Another Italian BC arrives in good condition, and we've got a choice to make. What shall we do?

Russia has some extremely interesting colonies, I say we let him pass because it could really help us to nab some of those.

Russia is a paper tiger, and I get the feeling revolutionary governments tend to get budget spikes as they prepare to revanche and/or spread the eternal revolution. I'd prefer to let her bleed and then leave us alone rather than become an actual threat down the line. Lock him up.

While Great Britain might be putting up the big numbers in how many capitals they've made, the US is making up for that in per-ship firepower.

1 to 1 so far.

This game is so historically accurate it's painful. I'm sure as hell we'll start backstabbing our allies and using subpar weaponry throughout the campaign.

Let's live a life of danger.

Sorry for the delay, France and Russia just want to play "get our raiders intercepted as the sun is setting", so the war is slow going. Also, despite me encouraging elsewise, the diplomats made peace with no border changes. I savescummed that. Finally, though, we get a actual battle.

Safe passage it is.

Forgot the images related to this defense.

OH shit nevermind, i must've not paid attention very well. Thanks for clearing all of it up

here, lemme lend you mine

Holy shit that Battlecruiser, but its all just for show right?

This is going pretty well for our liking

We spot a French CL to the south, and our force takes after it. However, a short time later we get reports that our merchants are under attack. Not willing to lose our greatest ally, we return to them and move to screen them from the enemy's DD force. We're simply keeping range from them, trading shots back and forth when…oh hello there.

Orders?

Destroy the DDs to clear the rear and bring our Bs around to counter theirs, assuming parity or else outright quality advantage is in our favor. Then, consume their battleships with our screens while battleships eat hits.

The Tridents slightly out-firepower us with 13" guns. On practically every other metric we're identical.

uh boy, those merchants are forfeit if we don't counter both threats at the same time. Can we get a quick glance at what we're facing? Are those Bs overpowering compared to ours?

Have the Nino deal with the 2 DDs and full speed toward those 2 cunts, we must protect greatest ally.

Don't get yourself locked into too deep an engagement, lest the enemy brings more reinforcements into the fray. Just keep distance and engage in a plinking contest with those frogs.

see

That seems like a decent plan to me. Engage half of them first and hopefully we should be able to emerge victorious from that engagement.

Tell the merchant ships to keep their distance and pray. Pray a lot.

PERMISSION TO PANIC SIR?

No God here kid.

rip lads

Can we outrun it and the rest on paper? Are we likely to actually outrun it in theory, considering the potential age of our engines? How does our gunnery technology compare to theirs, and have we retrofitted these old ships with the new types? It would be very wise to turn AWAY from the enemy formation and book it, because showing our broadside will get us pegged, while flying away stern-on will only possibly lead to miserable deck hits and may result in bounces along the sides of the belt.

A gaggle of merchant vessels will be a few thousand points in tonnage, low teenage double digits at most, yes? Two battleships and their screens will reverse our negotiating advantage entirely. Deny further engagement if at all possible. Otherwise, if we are forced, fight defensively, seek to destroy the immodern ships that we can, and sacrifice screens as necessary to protect these big obsolete symbols that are soon to be useless victory point pinatas from the enemies' modern battleships.

IT'S OVER
whats the sitrep on our Cruiser group?

For some reason, the DD force assigned to the convoy is refusing to leave. While a true show of loyalty to our greatest ally, it is almost certainly going to lead to their deaths.

It has 3kts on us. And yes, Operation Abandon the Merchants is in full effect.

They fucked up some DDs, not enough to sink any, but most of them retreated.

Well, it's time for the Mighty Faggots to make themselves useful. Full steam ahead boys, you've got a destiny to fulfill.

The Faggots go to their fates with pride, firing torpedoes at the French capitals. Despite the overlapping launches, the French battleships turn hard away, managing to avoid them all. In short order the Faggots (and a Figlio Di Buttana) are torn apart by heavy gunfire.

set the fleet to take down the Redoutable

Are you mad? We have a couple pre-dreadnoughts against a bunch of semi-dreadnoughts and a true dreadnought, with a minimum of screens and a speed disadvantage. We have this chance and only this chance to escape with our hides intact.

oh fuck

One vote for going out in a blaze of glory.

yes i am, now fucking suicide strike that fucker
Are you a coward?

We know that the French have a fleet that can defeat us.
We may lose this battle, but we can now plan for the next.
I say we retreat with what's left, and play safely until we can get something in the water that can actually go toe to toe with the Redoubtable.

We're not giving the French a huge propaganda victory. Doesn't matter if the ships are useless or not; loosing a major battle can really hurt us when it comes to diplomacy and propaganda

Agree. Get the fuck out of there

A moment of silence for our war effort.

"Cowardice" is a concept made by men who couldn't win battles by being cunning.

fine.
Retreat
but then sink all men on board who thought retreating was a good idea

Bounce nigga

You are giving the enemy two battleships worth of victory point tonnage, completely reversing our huge VP advantage when we have every chance to make it away with little lost and keep these obsolete ships for other duties while waiting for a more advantageous order of battle. Unless the enemy is totally upon us, with no chance to escape, we have no reason to close in and hope for a miracle trade.

How far is nightfall, OP?

OP, our glorious Admiral, can we create a vessel to match or surpass the Redoubtable? If so, can we realistically get it seaworthy to change the fight?
Otherwise, we may have to go for par in this course, rather than chance a bogey by going for a birdie.

Nino Bixio is settling, dead in the water and flooding progressively. The Redoutable sails arrogantly by, it's guns continuing to pump rounds into the stricken cruiser. But Nino Bixio has one last trick up her sleeve.

A while off.

The Redoutable has, at best an 8 12" gun broadside. Our Pax Romana class BC can match that, and our Italia il Audace class as well as our upcoming Ave Caesar Dreadnought surpass it by one gun.

What's the extent of the damage on that Redoutable? If it's out of the fight, we may be able to turn the tables.

Saving the crew of our sinking ships would also be a good idea.

That light cruiser is going out with one last hurrah.
If the Redoubtable is royally fucked, could we win the fight after all?

Goodspeed you glorious OP
Show those anglos the bottom of the sea up close

Can you use naval commandos and torpedo boats in this game?

Even with a torpedo in her, the French dreadnought is still closing on our legacy battleships. Malta is just to the North-West, it may be our last hope if we can somehow get it between us and them.

Uncertain. While you can get a good picture of what damage your own ships have taken as far as damage, in battle enemy's damage is based upon who can see the ship and their experience level. As a result, it's not uncommon to have an inexperienced ship claim an enemy battleship is sinking after hitting it once with a mid sized gun.

We shall see.

Forgot image.

While we've put some space in between us and the Tridents, the Redoutable is still going strong. Perhaps worst of all is that ammo is begining to run thin on the Italia, she's only got rounds for her aft gun.

Torpedo boats appear as 'fortifications', not directly controlled but assisting in battles near ports. As for commandos, you will occasionally get elements of the espionage community ask for permission to attempt to blow up an rivals ship at dock, usually when tensions are high.

after this could you just scrap those rustbuckets?
Also don't get ballsy just yet, those tricky frenchies might have a trick right up their sleeves

Honestly, I doubt that the french dreadnought is really damaged by that torpedo. It probably has thick armour, watertight compartments and other forms of damage control.

I'd wager it's still as mucho of a threat as it was before. Continue avoiding battle.

We can still use them as convoy escorts and for artillery support. But yeah, once the war is over we should sell those pieces of scrap.

We need a new design to counter the Redoutable, BTW

Gentlemen, the time has come. The Redoutable is closing the distance consistently and occasionally landing hits. The only chance of salvaging this involves a nigh-suicidal stand-up fight. We're forced to turn to bring our broadside to her and begin exchanging fire. She's tougher than us, with as many main guns as both our ships combined.

Fate is not with us, both of our ships take hits to the rudder within a minute of each other, leaving them turning circles.

Say your goodbyes.

F

Want to hear the worst part? That torpedo, Nino Bixio's final act, was a dud.

F

The war is going to drag on a while longer thanks to this. Set submarines to fleet support already, as an aside. Random warship kills are the best usage of them pound-for-pound, or am I mistaken?

>was a dud

Do we want this?

Everything that could've went wrong went wrong.

At least it didn't push the score too hard in their favor. We need to wait for that little revolutionary to try and knock Russia out of this. Time to Jeb it up. Turtle.

We have modern ships to throw into things, but so do they. They outnumber both our obsolete ships and our modern ones. It's questionable, but we can't leave the loss unavenged. We'll take to the fight, in a fencing stance rather than a full bore assault.

Well, when after getting hit that floating steel baggete still came full speed towards us, it was pretty clear that the torpedo hadn't achieve anything.

Do we even have the tech to build a ship that can face the Redoutable?

I say yes. I think we hace a small advantage. Don't risk it all, we just want a small victory to put on the newspapers.

Why did i said this?

Yes, but don't go full-out. Just enough to make think that we're not easy picking

We got triple turrets and 14inches guns
Our modern BBs and BCs might be able to gang-up on it

Enraged at the Frenchman's audacity, every major ship in our Fleet raises steam directly at France. There will be blood to pay for this transgression, it's only a matter of how much. A French merchantman is the first to spot our arrival, desperately turning back to port as several French minesweepers abandon their escort duties.

And just to the South to greet us are the French. While we set a course to withdraw, the battle line is formed, the Faggots are being mustered into position and prayers for accurate gunnery ring loud. This time will not be like our first fleet battle, where the night played to our advantage. It will not be like the last fight, where we were outgunned by far. This will be a straight up fight.

Deciding that rather than send the Faggots in first, I order our line of CLs to launch a spread of torpedoes into the French battleline. One of them sinks itself into the Redoutable, which vanishes off the map without any notice of a magazine explosion or anything. I've never seen this before

Great honor wins battles by fighting them one by one but cunning wins wars without fighting any. Losing a battle or retreating shouldn't get in the way of our final victory.

Truly Italian till the bitter end.
F

Maybe it has some kind of fatal flaw in her design?

After that happens, I send in the DDs. They attack out of the eastern glare, launching a swarm of fish head on into the French battleships. Despite no hits, the French fleet is forced to evade, ruining their gunnery. Turning away, our fleet retreats to port while the French force tries to regroup. The retreat goes well, despite some somewhat crippled ships. Upon returning to port, our force rejoices upon learning that Italia and Regina Margerita have been avenged. The French's flagship lies at the bottom of the Mediterranean, just off their coast.

With that, I have to call it a night, it's 5AM over here. As usual, I'm gonna take a shower and get a snack before bed, so feel free to call out any last minute questions/suggestions and I'll try to respond before going to sleep.

Our losses have been avenged.

Goodnight faggot.

Thank good for the torpedo magazine.
Let's hope the french do not shit out several of them.

EAT SHIT, FRANCE

YOU TAKE TWO OF OUR B'S, WE TAKE A BB FOR DOUBLE THE POINT VALUE OF BOTH COMBINED

CHOKE ON IT

Final update for tonight. We've got a bunch of cash freed up after losing two battleships, so we can probably commit to a pair of a moderately expensive dreadnought designs. That being said, our DD lines are starting to thin out and we could use some modern CLs. Anyways, goodnight all.

The whole pasta clan will remember you for this act of breaking the baugette in two

Have an anchovy

Priotize getting those dreadnoughts floating onto the sea first, use the leftover cash to replace some of the DD losses.

I say invest in either the BBs or CLs. We can build DDs when money is a bit tighter, they take less time to make anyway.

Alright. A couple things to queue up for tommorrow, then.

For ships,

From the images of the thread, I made a shitty table with what seem to be the heaviest ships of the Italian and French navy.

The Caesar has the thickest armor and her guns are on par with the Dunkerke and Redoutable. A few more Caesars would be a fine adition to our fleet.

And finally, for how we go forward with the war,

To fullfil a crucial role of bullet sponge in our most advanced tactic of glorious retreat, I suggest a Tranny-class ship, directly opposite in design philosophy to the Mighty Faggot class. Enough =

A tactic that tailors to it wold be Left Wing Rape Squat: Enough Faggots to destroy or damage beyound repair enemy dreadnought with their torpedoes in a full salvo and a Tranny to close in on enemy escorts, distracting enemy fire from Faggots until they defile the water to unescapable density and GTFO.

You play FAF primarily Cybran?

These threads got me interested in the game, so I downloaded it. I have no knowledge about naval warfare whatsoever, how long until I stop contemplating suicide when looking at the design ship screen? Also what is a good country for a beginner?

You're better off starting with a small country that doesn't have to look after lots of colonies. Austria's a good choice because they don't have to give a fuck about anything outside the Mediterranen, Italy's also good.
As for ship design, you'll get the hang of it eventually. Just be sure to read the manual, it covers a lot of the basics, including what qualifies a ship as a certain classification. You can also get some ideas from looking through this thread and the previous one. Here's a few points that I always stick to:

Adding to what said, it might also be a good idea to look at your (and enemy) existing ships to see what at least supposedly works already when designing your first ships. Do not let this hinder you from getting creative though.
Additionally, make note of gun size. Big guns have big shells that make big booms. If you have a turret with 6 inch guns with say 3-4 inches armor in a double mount, it might not be too bad if it gets penetrated, but if you have bigger guns with the same armor, your entire ship might go up in the explosion.

Simply looking at pictures of old ships will also give you an idea of why some designs might be "illegal" in a certain year, or might simply not be a very good idea.

Is there anyway I can get a demo/download it for free? I think I may like the game, but I'd like to try it before blowing 35 bucks on it.

Not at all, sorry. I did like to solo compstomp way back in the day with modded Forged Alliance, but was never particularly good. I tended towards UEF most the time, but I could appreciate the Cybran lineup. Funny how they went from being a little on the light side to having late-game sledgehammers in the form of the Brick & relatively cheap experimentals like the Monkeylord.

OP is back.

I've included here the designs for a:

Are these all good, or should changes be made? I've also put up the current state of both our fleet and the French Navy.

Don't worry too much, I had basically no knowledge of naval warfare either. I find a good idea is to think "What should this ship be fighting", then arm/armor it according to that, disregarding the weight. After you fit it, check the weight and try to figure our what you can sacrifice if it's overweight.If something is meant to be fighting DDs, don't bother giving it weighty deck armor. Likewise, if it's the heaviest armed and armored thing in the sea, you might be able to skimp on speed, but pray you don't get outgunned.

I actually just started them, a half dozen of your favorite wolf girl waifus are in production, due in 16 months.

They all look good, although the CL seems a little on the light side. Not enough displacement room at our current tech level for the DD-proof armor I assume, or else said armor would be superfluous? It's only half the weight of the Brooklyn I'm conceptually chasing after, so it should be expected. The speed is a bit worrisome, since it only has one knot over the cutting-edge Lexington battlecruiser, which we ought to be able to comfortably outpace, anticipating speedier contemporaries to follow. Increase it if we can.

Also, it's peculiar how we can't figure out how to put deck torpedo tubes on things that aren't destroyers yet without going through the abstract rigamarole of mostly-doctrinal research. Is research linear or semi-linear in what breakthroughs we get when?

Italy has quality 1 3-inch guns, would it be a good idea to use them on the Faggot 2 for more guns at close range (i think the range is similar to the quality 0 4 inchers anyway) or to save weight? I'm not sure 4-inchers will penetrate much but then i'd guess 3 inch guns create lackluster explosions in comparison with HE.
If they're not good for that, are the quality 1 3-inchers useful for anything at all other than afterthought tertiary armaments?

What is the medium range on the CL for? to give it raiding ability?
If you have armor configuration for CL researched, would it be worth using a flat deck configuration with a 3 inch belt (if the weight saved allows it) if expecting to fight other CLs and DDs?

Any reason why the Faggot mk2 doesn't prioritize speed for its engine, does it shoot the price up too much? I love how cheap it is. Other than that the only suggestion I'd make would be to drop the secondary armament on that 900 ton DD, they're pointless in 90% of the cases. The weight can be used more effectively elsewhere, be it reducing displacement or increasing mine capacity. Also keep in mind Sub mounts cannot be used at speeds that exceed 21 knots. I'd suggest for the CL, drop the rear mount and put that saved weight into ammo.

Certain technologies are linear others aren't. I.E. 3 center-line turrets followed by 4 then 5+
But others seem totally random.

The weight of unarmored turrets that small is negligible. The turret weight for those DDs is 5 plus 6.5 for nearly 200 rounds of ammo.

At this point, our standard quality 5" guns can penetrate 2.2in of armor at 8000m, 3.2 at 5000m. Since most DDs carry 4" guns, or occasionally a single 5", this should protect them. Nevertheless, I've bumped the displacement up 20% and added 2kts of speed and an additional half inch of belt armor. I've also increased the extended belt thickness.
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure, since this is the first time I've used "Varied Technology". Normally I don't get mine rails until much later, so I think it mixes some stuff up.

We can do the flat deck, yes. As far as the range, it's to allow it to move to defend colonies if our enemies begin to mass units there to open up amphibious invasions. And to answer your question, I find 3" guns primarily useful as a last-ditch effort, so yeah, mostly as an afterthought.

Speed priority engines are extremely prone to malfunctions, at least last time I tried them. While we might be able to save some weight with them, the reliability worries me. With the redesign of the CL, I've kept the Aft tube for chases but made room for extra gun ammo.

Goddammit, I just realized I lowered the main gun calibre. Reworking, ignore this design.

Varied tech does a lot of things quietly. For example it's possible to have gun penetration be significantly lower across the board right from the start of the game.

While I'm not entirely happy with it, this seems to meet what we were looking for.

It looks nice. Let's name the class Bersagliere; fits the light, fast gunship vibe it has going.

There are additional factors though, for example you can sometimes have 2 3in secondariness or 4 2in secondariness due to a hard cap on the numbers for DDs at certain tonnages.

Read the manual (in the manuals folder, you want RtWManual133. It's only 30 pages long but it'll set you up well. Then pick someone like Italy and medium fleet size, 80% tech rate. Do not tick manual build of legacy fleet (if you do you have to build your own ships from scratch, if you don't then it'll give you a starting fleet).
See picrelated. I can give you a bit more detail on other stuff if you (or any other anons) want.

Italy and Russia are generally the easiest nations.

A few tips from a long-time player:
>Any armor area with less than 2" of armor has a chance to be damaged by splash damage from a penetrating hit; from what I remember, the dreaded "splinters perforate uptakes" and "splinters damage machinery" messages are caused by BE and D/DE damage, respectively. According to the devs, each half-inch of armor reduces the chance of splinters by about 25%. Coal engines also have a chance to stop splinters based on the amount of fuel remaining, but I don't know the specifics.
>I highly recommend that you play captain mode for your first few games until you get a good understanding of the torpedo mechanics.
>There's a great deal of errata and hidden features that are documented only on the forums. This thread in particular is essential reading: nws-online.proboards.com/thread/1221/fredricks-tidbits-clarifications-extra-info

So, France wants another go. Shall we?

Lets sink us a Dunkerque.

We've again got a majority of our best ships formed up, and the French battle line is similarly present. This time, I believe we have a firepower edge, so we'll spend most of the time at range.

If we sink their 2 BCs, we might even be able to run down and destroy their remaining Bs, which should knock the legs right off those frogs.

Picking off a single BC and heavily damaging the other would be sufficient to let us rape the Bs at will.

Here's our respective battle lines. The French appear, at least for now, to only have pre-dreadnought battleships present.

Might as well sit at range for a bit then pick off any ships you've managed to wound. If you get too risky now there might be some hidden French BBs or BCs that will surprise the fleet.

Ship design is pretty each user, I'll have another shot at explaining it with a better image in a bit if I can be bothered but you'll work it out easily enough by playing and keeping the manual open. RTW's manual is very well written and again really quite short.

After firing rounds back and forth, one of the Friedland-class battleships abruptly comes to a halt. While I'm not certain, we might have gotten a lucky hit on the machinery or electric power. I'm sending a Faggot in to see if it can sink a couple fish in her.

Excellent. The Courbet are paper tigers, but if I recall they have some actual bite comparative/equivalent to our own 12-inch spamships compared to, say, the Trident class, which has one inch bigger guns but far fewer of them. I don't recall the Friedland or Solferino, but imagine they're similar to the Trident, though I'd still like to review them.

Prioritize the most modern and best-armed ships with the full weight of fire of our fleet line (assuming multiple ships firing at the same target don't disrupt each others' target adjustment, like mixed large caliber batteries do) before taking the budget-eating older ships off their hands, which conveniently appears to be the Courbet leading their line at the moment, making for good line disruption potential. Scenario one of the war of movement; advantaged gun battle against an outranged enemy who cannot properly respond, followed by close-in and cleanup or bloodless disengagement. Their obsolete ships are likely to flounder against our newer ones, allowing us to beat them down to a point where our screens may finish the job.

We're already seeing results, wonderful. I'm praying for Vento Aureo.

Vento Aureo takes a couple rounds of tertiary fire, and true to their legacy falls apart. She manages to loose one torpedo, but misses narrowly. Night is begining to fall, and our fleet comes around to do what the Faggot failed. Ahead of them however, is the last remaining of the Fuciliere-class DDs, Revenge of the Merchant of Venice. Charging through the Friedlands defensive fire, she launches four torpedoes into the water and lands an impressive three hits. Horribly damaged, she comes to a halt next to her prey, with heavy flooding and a effectively destroyed superstructure.

With night having fallen, our fleet begins to head to a northerly heading. I send some more Faggots out to scout and get an idea of what the French want to do, and it appears that their continue to shadow us. DD Rita takes a hit to the engine room and is almost certainly doomed. Even so, her and DIO launch their torpedoes.

As night falls, Rita and DIO take to the sea between our fleet to see if they can spot the French fleet if it tries to close the distance. Sure enough, the Frenchies aggressively attempt to close and are met with torpedoes by our DDs. While both DDs are quickly dispatched by small calibre fire, they do mangage to sink a torpedo into the lead battleship.

Shall I assume we are going to close the distance and engage the French fleet, attempting to dispatch multiple battleships, or should we take what we've gotten and go home? No non-DD ship of ours has taken serious damage.

The Merchant makes his last transaction.

Could risk more DDs if we've got them spare.

They seem to be lacking in screens now, as if they've been separated by a light ship retreat while the battleships are still trying to close. Bring the battle line upon them, CLs and DDs at the fore, battleships close in behind. We'll drown them in fish, and if that isn't enough, but the situation allows for further pursuit, gun them down in a chase. Just not too close of one. They have too many battleships with submerged tubes.

Goddammit, wrong file.

If you're going to engage, make sure the BC is offset behind the main line of Bs, we can't risk losing our BCs to torps under any circumstance.

Thanks to our slight speed advantage, we're in a better torpedo firing position. We let ours go, then quickly turn away to avoid any counter torpedo fire. Our tactic quickly pays off with a hit to some kind of capital.

If you get the shot and have surviving DDs with actual torpedoes left I vote for a final run then pulling out if possible. If not then perhaps it's time to retreat.

What this user said. Avoid being struck by enemy screens, feel out if we can engage in a final run & volley, but do not become overengaged or corner their screens with ours, let alone our capitals.

I say no guts no glory, don't leave this engagement before we've sunk something significant, the only priority we should have is to keep our BCs safe. We have the fags right where we want them, just a matter of locking horns now.

Having had a total of 8 reported hits of torpedoes on enemy capitals, I decide that we're already ahead and there is no reason to force the issue, we withdraw to Italy, and for once the French seem content to let us go. The end results are very good.

Not bad. I think we actually could've forced the issue after all with their only screening forces being a handful of separated DDs & some CL change, but better to get out while we're ahead. My only regret is that we cleaned out their pre-dreads instead of swatting a battlecruiser, meaning that section of budget is going to rise from the ashes as something meaner.

Good shit, fella.

Playing torpedo games in the dark is a good way to lose a war tbh

Could have been more damaging but that's still solid. No capital losses is what's important. I don't think we could afford to have rolled the dice and lost.

Good job Italian MS. Should we take this cruiser battle?

Nope, good odds their BCs are there and nothing we have has a chance against them without the line.

That's true, but a larger cruiser battle has a better chance of us being able to pull something off with numbers or to get our own capital in the ring. Smaller cruiser engagements, unfortunately, are likely to entail their battlecruiser forging on alone against our various lesser ships. The odds aren't good here, but are worse elsewhere.

Declining costs us one-one thousandth of the VP that we stand to lose by accepting the wrong battle.

True. I guess we've got a LOT of cruiser battle declines in the near future, then. I shift my vote.

What says the Admiralty? France has just launched their second BC (same class), and Russia is supposedly going to have a BB and BC out this year, although it's already October.

Press for terms, I guess. Those BCs scare me a little.

I say we settle and next time around we try to keep russia out of it next time and hopefully have france stretched out more as their fleet is more easily replaced than ours.

On the one hand, a new fleet engagement could allow us to blow them out again and destroy more of their battleships at the cost of a few more screens, stopping France's rolling buildup. On the other, we'll have to deny a great deal smaller battles to avoid their battlecruisers, and the securing battle will be a gamble, and a breather might allow us to build the quality fleet we need to secure the next war rather than having to make the best use of what we have. I say middle option and go where the wind takes us.

The peace talks fall through, and Pax Romana encounters an enemy raider in the stormy afternoon.

uh oh. I got a bad feeling about this, please don't get torped.

Assume the ship will in the worst case be light and will loose torpedoes either immediately or in short order. Assuming that our rudder speed can turn us directly away faster than they can peg us with a torpedo as we turn, turn into rather than away from them- rightwards instead of left- and steam away until we understand what we are dealing with, then decide from there. If we can't engage in this ill expected turn without likely suffering a hit, do the expected thing and turn left.

Worried about the possibility of taking a torpedo, we turn away, breifly loosing our quarry in the storm. A few minutes later, we meet again, and she sets us up for a perfect broadside engagement.

With a wave of gunfire and a torpedo, the French cruiser goes down within five minutes of the first hit. Chalk up another one.

Very good, that's a lot of VPs for obsolete tonnage. Unfortunately, that means all our cruiser clashes are going to be versus battlecruisers with a low chance of lucking out with light cruisers, assuming that was the last of their CAs as the last pre-battle CA estimation suggests. I know it's 'estimated enemy forces,' not total, but they tend to overlap a bit when two groups have their entire navies in one zone.

We get forced into a DD action, taking command of a mixed group, some old Turbines, a few Faggots and a couple Figlio Di Buttanas. One of our MS to the south reports coming under attack by heavy ships, but that can't be right, can it? Should we investigate?

Once the last ship of a side is sinking, the scenario runs 200 minutes of damage control and flooding, but torpedoes and whatnot are not simulated.

Either they're full of it or there's something we can maybe torpedo, although we should scout out as carefully as possible.

MS reports can be inaccurate but not that inaccurate. At least one BC, 22,000 yard sight range, and at least four hours until sundown. This is the setup to a horror movie.

It can't hurt to look.

They're false reports, it's just panicked radio signals. There's no way the ships in question are any heavier than a CL.

Sounds like the enemy lucked out and spawned a CL. Let's close and see if it's anything worth attacking.

Heading to the border zone, we find our patrolling CL Taranto chasing off a small squadron of DDs. We move in to provide help, although the Taranto is designed specifically for fighting DDs, and send the French back to their harbor. On the strategic side of things, we can now build medium range subs.

You never know user.

Build as many new medium-range subs as you can afford. We'll turn on unrestricted submarine warfare when we hit 20 operational subs.

Great Britain's probably still pissed at us, unrestricted warfare could go really bad really fast.

Medium range subs are very nice to have, although for the moment we don't need to reach past our home waters, which coastal subs operate in just fine. We'll want to build some to patrol around either end of Africa in the near future, certainly, and might even want to queue them up now.

We do not need that kind of international heat on us user, certainly not for the mediocre VPs gained, they don't operate effectively if we achieve a blockade alongside or through them due to merchant traffic drying up, and putting subs against merchants makes subs vulnerable to ASW. Fleet support subs aren't vulnerable to ASW sinking events according to the errata thread posted far above. To quote, 'Ships on ASW patrol will reduce merchant sinkings by submarines, but not warship sinkings by submarines.' Implicitly, this means that ASW can't touch fleet support subs, although they can be sunk by mines and presumably through combat when they do appear. Fleet support is love. Fleet support is life. All praise unto free offscreen battleship torpedoings.

The enemy raider has several knots of speed and manages to outrun us. Worth mentioning, we do have a rather decent surplus of cash, should we be working on pushing out a new line of BB/BC? We have access to 14" guns, or we could ask Great Britian to build us a ship with standard quality 15" guns (relations have normalized between us). As of right now we're spending about 1.6M on sub construction, and another 4M or so on surface ship production.

I'll set some to be built.

While a pair of our CAs are moving around Africa to act as raiders in the Indian Ocean, they get the oupurtinity to bombard a French installation. Resistance is effectively non-existent. Also, our MS fleet continues to fail at their job. That being said, our newest DDs are now functional.

Is that enough screens? France was sitting on some ridiculous 20-40 DDs when this war started, even if they were shitty. We've had a chronic shortage, although we've had a shortage of everything. What quality are our 14 guns? If they're higher than the +0 15 guns, we should build natively to avoid the ship being impounded if we peeve them off during construction. I'll leave it to others as to whether it is a BB or BC, but the design ethic should follow the outline I wrote here with modification to fit the legal boundaries of the ingame BC class if it is not built as a true BB, which should be without limits save our native constructional ones.

We should queue up a new line of minesweepers. If the sweepers themselves are suffering mine destructions, we clearly don't have enough.

Russia finally gets it's first modern capital out. It's okay, nothing too impressive.

Forgot the DD picture

Minesweepers have been ordered. Would this BB fit the bill?

Quick note, if we went with a short-ranged, cramped design it'd free up about 1,300t of weight we could add.

Move the aft superfiring turret to the V position, consolidate the secondaries/tertiaries into one big 5" battery, and maybe drop the TT armor down a notch. Put the weight savings into BE/DE

Look good?

It's already better armored than the historical Iowa class (except deck armor) with ten large guns. I don't think we need much more weight to play with. The guns can't be traded up to 16 inchers unless the manual was intentionally vague, so I'm not worried about the double turrets too much, although it'd still be preferable to up them to triples. I mirror 's suggestions, though I think we should put the savings towards filling out the center turrets before adding belt & deck armor.

Think I've balanced your suggestions, we get an extra superfiring gun and some survivability after adjusting our armor values around.

This looks pretty good.

The triples can be rebuilt as 16" twins. The twins can only be rebuilt as singles, although if we really wanted to I guess we could replace them with a single triple turret.

That looks good, go ahead with it.

Are you certain? The manual references 11 guns trading to 15 and 12 to 15 or 16, but made no mention of guns larger than 12 having trade capacity, which I took to implicitly mean you couldn't do so for reasons. I'm not certain if we'd want to trade up to retrofit doubles with these guns, since the performance gap isn't nearly so great as between 12 and 16.

While we're running a pretty hefty deficit, it'll go down once we get these DDs and CLs out, as well as scrapping our legacy Bs. Do we wish to remove more French, and if so, should we go all in on the battle?

I just checked, 14" triples can be rebuilt as twins up to 17".

FINISH THEM

SMITE THE FRENCH

We'll test the shock & awe doctrine once more, if the situation permits. But we must bleed them.

Oh, neat. The manual didn't even document 17-18 guns, so I thought they were non-vanilla.

Remove baguette

France declines battle, pussies.

One month after laying the Chef Boyardee class down, we get a tech advancement. Not really that big of a deal since we were at weight limits anyways, but still.

Semi-armor piercing shells. Neat!

Submarines are hitting us hard, and I wasn't sure why. Then I checked the almanac.

Bloody frogs.

Build some AMCs and set them all to coastal patrol, that should put a dent in the enemy's subs. Halt the BB if you must.

Annnnd it's time for Q-ships. Stick spare DDs on ASW duty too, if our shortage is overcome. We need to deliver the same pain to the frogs later, but for now all we can do is neutralize their submarine warfare. Though, AMCs actually a better/cheaper solution than destroyers in the first place, or should we focus on the more useful dual-purpose type?

Mixed news. Those CAs that we moved to the Indian Ocean manage to clear the seas enough that the Army decides to get off their ass. The AMCs we had already have been shifted to Coastal Patrol, and start getting results. But our MS seem to be as ineffectual as ever.

Q-ship production increased.

AAAAAAAAAA

On the other hand, our CL are moving to help out the ground forces.

This is getting ridiculous. We need to take Djibouti and get out of this war with spoils before we lose any more buckets and get stuck with white peace.

Our raid goes well, but these submarine attacks are getting too scary. We're trying our best to take East Africa, but each round is increasingly dangerous to our fleet.

Any estimate on how long it will take for peace feelers to come again? Anyways, beside AMCs, we should probably begin mass production of both our generalist and cheap new DDs in the hopes of getting the mass production event to reduce time & cost. We have a critical weakness that we have to patch.

Go ahead wiht the engagement. If we can dunk torpedoes in that BB, that should be the end of it, even considering the risk. But if we wait longer, then we'll get a potentially worse buildup of multiple ships of the line.

France backs down, we get a look at the new Russian BC and fire control gets a big jump. A French ship finally gets dropped by mines, albeit not one worth anything, and we get forced into a different convoy attack.

G R E A T E S T A L L Y

qt

Time to make Tranny-class bullet sponges as sggested in ? For counter-mine, counter-sub duty with dozens of 3''?

The enemy convoy looks rather weakly guarded, so things should go well. Sure enough, we manage to skirt the escort cruiser and sail right into the convoy.

Don't get too excited she's already dead.
That'll probably work best as a large minesweeper loaded with guns, so yes.

Every ship can be a minesweeper once.

Our cruisers tear up the French convoy with ease. Our new mid-range subs seem to be much more capable, two of them somehow managing to kill the same ship. And Mussolini's Lamborghini catches out a Slav.

Is this the first Russian ship we've seen this war?

What was her exact fate?
Occasional sinking of (((our gretest ally))) may be surmountable, but losing first in her class that soon is plain out unacceptable. This is not just a loss for our fleet, but a symbolic insult to our nation - an insult to the memory of Rome's founders! I demand vengeance, nation demands vengeance, even leftist intelligentsia will demand vengeance as soon as her fate will become common knowldege. Speaking of consulting the latter, it will be wise to respond in the most cunning, most backstabbing manner we can possibly muster - conduct minelaying operations on enemy trade routes, preferably with submarines. (((Greatest ally))) will also surely be pleased at demise of competitors.

We do some decent damage to her, but she manages to give us the slip when night falls.

Not the first, but chasing off raiders has summed up almost our entire 'war' with Russia.

user…sometimes when you send a wolf-girl out to sea, she doesn't come back. It's a dangerous place out there, full of mines, enemy patrol craft, and even mechanical failures. That being said, we can increase sub/minelaying operations.

Probably calling it there, my endurance for this has reached it's end for tonight. I'll stick around for a bit, answer/post any info people want or need.

Can we have a general fleet review of the numbers between us and France? This massive submarine disparity really snuck up on us, and bodes ill for our ability to catch up in production, just as I feared. Increase of our support components will close this gap through the end of the war and the interwar period, but it is very troubling at the moment that we are being so consistently outconstructed even as we exact the larger degree of losses in line combat.

What's the VP situation?

You'd better do, otherwise intelligentsia is likely to have a talk with you in (((press))), and they would have a good talking point, unless you can show the Nation that their government does not need a red banner over Senate to be capable of remorseless backstabbing of unarmed merchants who just happened to pay taxes on the wrong side of war.

For those of you might be interested, here's a very good map of every sunken WWII warship. Lots of interesting stories out there.

About a in-game year ago those numbers were reversed, with 18 built and 39 building. We've actually been thinning out their numbers pretty hard, but the French keep pouring more money into them.

We need this shit with 3 3 for doing something at range>point blank and enough 1 and 2'' to block out the sun in enemy periscopes.

3 3 inch, daym formatting
Can we give these things a torp belt to survive 1 torpedo hit?

Torpedo protection is pretty much just for big ships. Destroyers are expendable.

Forgot to mention, pls give a full update on a current state of our subs and what they can do offensively.

It's not much as a destroyer, as a literal bullet sponge. These tactics make even more sense with this sub disparity - a lone countersub patrol, attracting enemy subs and sending them to the bottom with no problem.

So we're actually par or outbuilding the French in everything except submarines? God damn. I knew I was right to shill fleet support, they're eating us alive using subs & mines even with losses.

We should have two priorities, then. First, the creation and maintenance of a true capital ship advantage over the French, including revised CA/cheap BC pocket ships in the spirit but maybe not the thin skin of Mussolini's Lamborghini. The effort doesn't have to be huge, and we've already embarked on it in part with the new 14 inch battleship, but we need a progressive effort through the interwar. It is dubious as to whether we should start now rather than after the war, as while we might be less strained afterwards, we also might suffer a random budget slash once tensions drop to normal levels.

Second, the continued expansion of our minesweepers & DD light screens to stonewall French submarine efforts. This means mass production of the most modern two designs or a revision of them and the opening of a new production line of large minesweepers, 3 inch gun-centric destroyers with central double torpedo mounts only, no asymmetric mounts, plus mines if they'll fit. I don't know if the engine cares about the actual design of a ship as far as its effectiveness in ASW, but I know that 'obsolescence' plays a role in the math, so a new ship is a better ship. I should say that sticking a bit of armor on to avoid death by other screens might not be a bad idea, but somehow doubt the ingame armor will actually affect the behind the scene math of ASW even more than I doubt the armament will.

Do we really need submerged torpedo tubes? They slow the ship down and light cruisers need speed. Wouldn't it be better to ditch torpedoes and put double-barreled 6 in guns?

Since we're still in the 1910s, and a technologically slightly slower alternate 1910s at that, submerged tubes do actually remain rather useful when it comes to knife fighting when you don't have the option yet to put deck tubes on. I advocate pulling them out for the most part, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful, just not necessarily desirable over extra knots of speed if we're trying to not die. On the other hand, if we don't have a choice except to die, having tubes is very helpful to make such situations result in an unequal tonnage trade in our favor.

They are also literally submergd amoracks when loaded. No doubt enemy subs are having fun with our fleet.

I've given our Q-ships and large MS torpedo protection. I don't know for sure if it factors into the submarine attack dice roll, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Here is our current surviving submarine fleet. Subs can:
Submarines appear more frequently on the tactical map, attempt to attack enemy ships exiting the engagement.
The traditional method of submarine warfare, submarines stop and search merchants, getting the crew to safety before sinking them. Merchant sinkings gain VP and place stress on enemy citizenry.
The method most commonly portrayed in media. Submarines attack merchants with no warning. Same effect as Prize rules, larger results but higher chances of mistakes pissing off neutral nations.

I generally go with at least a single torpedo on any CL, simply because I've managed to win CL v. CA battles as a result, even escaping fast BCs with a lucky torpedo.

*ammoracks

I suggest relauching production Wolfgirl-class SSCs with all the modern technology to basically lay siege to enemy coastal trade in the medierranean with all the new tech to improve reliability. Half the price of actual SS with pretty much same results in the mediterranean.

How is that even possible, given the tonnage and year/tech?

Also, name our biggest and baddest ship "Il Grande Cazzo di Italia"

The Iowas could do 36 knots.

I just went back to test your theory on Fleet Support. Results: Being on Fleet Support does not ensure their safety, although they might be being sunk at a lower rate.

I just realized I'm a fucking idiot who didn't post the link

google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1x7Q2wEHD_NV-5MeFWcWB2BRH97Y&ll=36.00225524115582,-15.695483796829421&z=4

That can be done, although I think medium-range subs generally perform a bit better overall.

How to fuck up that badly? 15m tide or what?

We desperately need numbers, do it.

Ingame armour isn't measured in actual inches of armour but in inches of effective armour. The Iowa class would have needed significantly less thickness to get the same protection.

Question, Do we control Dodecanesse like in pre ww2 italy?
We could block the russians in the daridanelles if we do,
The cut off of the black sea fleet would be extremely useful for our empire

Fleet support reduces the chance you'll kill a neutral passenger ship, something that happens at a low rate even on cruiser rules.

What is that?
WHAT the FUCK is that!?

this was supposed to be a light cruiser wasn't it? i encounter strange errors with france generating their fleet when i try to build the legacy fleet manually

It's just a fairly light CA. That thing walks the line between CL and CA and happens to fall on the CA side for classification purposes because of its belt armour.

Holy fucking shit, all those sunk german submarines!

A good couple turns upon coming back. Both in the interest of improving our fleet and keeping our capitals out of harms way, I've sent our modern BCs and BB back into port to be refitted with improved fire control. And finally, after a fucking year or so, our ground forces manage to capture Djibouti. We cuck the French out of some (torpedo?) tech, and, for the first time in Italian history, a MS manages to do it's job. Now Mario Mario just needs to fend of a patrolling Russian Ship

Afraid RtW isn't great in it's definitions of areas, the Black Sea isn't in play. I know that's a pretty large oversight, but the game was mainly focused on Europe and US arms races, so the Russian ability to project into the Mediterranean was overlooked.

Wolfgirl breeding program Mk.2 is in effect

1943 was a bad year for U-boats

Less of an intercept, more of a sacrifice.

Any idea if they're going to include the Black Sea in RTW 2? Though then Turkey would have to be added.

Less good news, a pair of our legacy CLs spot a French raider and are sunk in short order, one by a submarine. That being said, we are taking big chunks out of the French submarine fleet faster than they're building. And speaking of building, France evidently expects an invasion, because they've built 17 coastal batteries on their Western coast, with another two in production.

Yikes. Is that the total since the war started, or did they just sink 10 in one event?

What size, out of curiosity. That shit could be running them 2 million or so a month if they've got bigger guns.

Fuggin gommies…

Peace?

In that month. Keep in mind that's just merchant shipping, not warships. We've been at war for 57 months.

Uncertain, we'd have to scout them out ourselves.

shid, this is a tough one, you should've let us know the unrest level because if that's above 5 then I say we call it quits on this war, we've gotten Tunisia from the French hopefully we can get something else too.

Mobilepostibg Op here. Unrest is 6

Alright, I know the principle of AON armor, that being sticking everything in the citadel and important fighting structures while leaving the rest unarmored, plus spaced armor decks. How's it work ingame, though?

I told you people to kill not-Lenin while we had the chance. He didn't even knock Russia out of the war, and he's still giving us gommie events. Let's go for peace. Hopefully, we have a bigger VP gap than the first war.

The Second Franco-Italian War has beaten out WW I by half a year of length. I wonder how the casualties look with how horrible the southern French front must be for general infantrymen to try and fight through, going by Italy's poor showing against French forts in WW II.

Confirming.

Welp, looks like the war continues.

Well, it's into caution levels, if it climbs to above 10 that's serious danger, especially with that socialist rhetoric floating around. I was hoping by now the Russians would've collapsed but it just doesn't seem like we're gonna get that lucky. My vote is to continue the war.

I want Corsica and Algeria.

Mario Mario intercepts another Russian raider, probably another easy AMC to bad…oh shit, it looks like the Russians took a page out of our Mussolini's Lamborghini-class. She's got a speed advantage too.

I sure hope that mixed-caliber accuracy malus is as bad as I think it is.

We get lucky, both the main guns on the Oleg jam, and it turns away from the fight.

Do we want to take this fight, or just wait for a fleet battle?

Medium size suggests no battlecruisers. Maybe? If it's by Sicily, does that mean we have some batteries on hand?

wait for fleet battles.

Let's build some big CAs of our own in response. We should have the tech to build something like pic related.

May as well.

Let's take it, how badly can it go?

We should wait for a fleet battle to push France to the negotiating table again. Coastal raids won't contribute significantly to our VP lead and declining is only a small part of our total. No need to risk the fleet.

I sure am glad they brought 8ch down to make it run worse.

France pussies out of course.

This is as close to that I can make, although I worry it might be better to simply make a true BC.

Close enough, maybe add a little tonnage so you can bump it back up to medium range. I want to keep it within CA limits because it's much too small to survive against a real BC, and giving it the armor/firepower to do BC work would make it too expensive to produce in large numbers.
Also delete that line in the superstructure, it looks silly.

Is there a resource I can read on how ships are classified and what their roles are? All I know is destroyers are for unloading torpedoes, and battleships stand back and shoot their big guns.

Sorry for the weird delay, 8ch is showing me different versions of this thread depending on where I look at it from. Russia has been using their cruisers as raiders this entire war, and it shows. Should we remove commie? Unrest has increased to 8.

Going to have to delay starting those, they'll cost 2M a turn, and the finances aren't there atm.

Here's how the game classifies it, although if you want to know real life purposes, I'd suggest just going on Wikipedia or something and reading up on individual classes to get an idea of their purposes.

Breaking up the protest will only increase unrest I'm sure. Spending money on improving living conditions is unlikely to placate them for long and probably isn't possible with our budget anyways, or with our sheer number of cramped vessels. Inspired speech, and hope it has a good effect that lasts us the war.

Shall all our efforts be in vain?

'A compromise peace' almost assuredly means no real gain for us, and a slow death by the enemies' superior rebuilding capability inbetween now and the next war. Depending on the workings of unrest, we also might still suffer a revolution event even in the postwar. We will perish to enemies without or within unless we attain total victory, so we must press on towards it.

We push onward, but unrest has hit level 10. The enemy has offered us peace. Orders?

Charge the enemy with everything from our battleships down to our pizza delivery vespas and attempt to score a grand victory, lowering the unrest.
There is only one acceptable outcome.

VINCERE

V I N C E R E

V I N C E R E

We didn't fight all this way to end it without gaining territory.

Negotiated peace?! That's even worse than a compromise. The bastards are toying with us, the AI might even know that we're suffering unrest and be slinging events accordingly. Southern Europe WILL burn, and it's only a question of who and when. And if we are to be snapped up in the jaws of defeat, we will spit fury and hellfire into it! We have to force them into a fleet battle!

We will crush them here. Not one step backward.

DD - Destroyer. The bare minimum of what a blue-water ship that can participate in fleet fights can be. Its jobs are going fast, firing torpedoes, scouting, killing other destroyers, and dying in the place of more valuable ships screening the line. DDs have smoke generators by default in RTW, so they're also good at helping ships escape bad situations as long as the wind's in your favor. Recommended reading: Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and Japanese Destroyer Captain.
CL - Light cruiser. It's a very broad and nebulous class of ship that ranges from basically heavier destroyers to long-range merchant raiders. The best part about CLs is that they're cheap.
CA - Armored cruiser. Again, a pretty broad class ranging from CL-killers to pocket battleships or battlecruisers. The good part about CAs is that you can get 60% of a heavier ship for 60% of the price. The bad part about CAs is that in fights against larger or more modern ships, 60% doesn't get you far.
B - Predreadnought battleship. Too slow to chase or run, too thin-skinned to trade hits, too short-armed to make up for either. Predreadnoughts tend to be make for expensive coffins past 1915.
BB - Dreadnoughts. Named after the HMS Dreadnought launched in 1906, the designation BB is short for "battleship battleship". Historically the main features of dreadnoughts are an armament without intermediate (7-10") caliber guns and steam turbine propulsion. With more bigger guns, thicker armor, and a higher speed, the HMS Dreadnought made every battleship afloat obsolete. Designs in RTW tend to be more forward-looking and propulsion systems are more abstracted so the dividing line isn't quite as thick.
BC - Battlecruisers. Battlecruisers trade a dreadnought's armor for more speed and the biggest possible guns, with the idea that it can use its speed to either kill ships from a distance where they can't retaliate or escape from ships that can. Battlecruisers are very good at killing 95% of ships afloat when conditions are ideal and also good at dying pitifully when they aren't, which occurs more frequently than you might expect.

Told you - qt is the path to victory.

Will matter in a year or two. Revolutions don't happen at instant.

Unrestricted sub warfare - unrest in Paris will surely help our negotiations. Mind that they are dealing with lefties too, and frogs historically are much more influenced by that.

Off the Northern coast of Sicily the French show themselves. Today we take them.

What's the current state of Lamborgini? She has some battle history, hasn't she?

This is not off to a great start.

Yes, although the mutinies lower crew veteracy.

Let's hope frogs have even bigger shitfest in head of their tadpoles.

What is BE hit explain pls

Can we launch a torpedo spread at 11o'clock to at least make them evade?

Belt extended. Fore & stern of the ship at and above the waterline, which is to say front & back. This armor is a lighter extension of the main belt which covers the middle of the ship, generally extending from the citadel (machinery & magazine spaces) outwards to the space below the main turrets.

While our CLs give Mussolini some covering smoke, our Faggots begin an attack run, although it's chances are not great.

Belt Extended, the thinner part of the belt armor that protects less vital areas.

They're beyond our torpedo range, although the Faggots can attempt to close.

So at least it won't die die from this hit.

Anyone wanna place bets?

Launch intercept spread and hope for the best.

No bets. Only a calm anticipation of the fickle hand of providence.

It is with bitter disappointment that I must report that none of the torpedoes launched met their targets. Even so, the French battle-cruisers begin to turn away from our line. We must press on.

REEEEEEEEEEE
Our advanced torpedoes were not advanced enough. We need to find someone to execute for this.

The Duquesnes get separated, now may be our best chance.

Fuck em up

A lot of these definitions are vague and inaccurate.

Protected CLs may have fore/aft twin turrets up to 8", or one single turret up to 13". All CLs are also limited to 3" belt armor.

Bs can have a speed up to 22kn if they have guns >10", or 20kn otherwise. In some edge cases they also need to have at least four secondary guns.

CAs may have two turrets up to 12" if they have a belt of no more than 6" and a top speed of no more than 22kn.

BCs are where shit gets confusing. Initially BCs are any dreadnought-type ship with speeds >24kn, but starting around 1915 the rules change to require either >26kn and

While our BC are forced to maneuver as the French DDs get uncomfortably close, Mussolini's Lamborghini is doing her best to make up the difference. The enemy DDs are forced to turn away, and we turn this into a 2v1 BC engagement as our CLs and DDs keep the enemy screens at bay.

SPQR!
Let those tadposes taste our 10" minipizzas and send them to their natuaral habitat!

Some torpedo launches fail to connect, although they force maneuvering that spoils the Duquesne's gunnery. Under the constant barrage of out BC's main batteries, she starts to slow.

Noice. What is it's armor and does it have something important in superstructure, like director firing? Can we send something expendable to go say hi at close range?

The damaged Duquesne tries to limp away, while our heavy cruisers continue to pick away at her. While she's still fighting, she's only landing occasional hits. Unfortunately, her sister ship is steaming to rejoin the fight.

I would assume it has a director, although I don't know for sure. Our expendable DDs have mostly fired off their torpedoes, our CLs I'm saving until I think she's crippled.

This is make or break time, commit to this engagement and sink them.

Don't forget we've taken Tunisia from them, so there is at least that and we may be forced to sign a peace deal due to our own unrest levels.

With more 12" round bringing her to a halt, our Bersagliere-class CLs swoop in to fire off their torpedoes. Impact is made.

Now, do we take this victory, or do we bring the fight to the other Duquesne?

Withdraw.

One battlecruiser will not tip the scale. The French will continue to stall for time until we are consumed by revolution, unless we can show the people a victory so total that it is delayed, and the French lose all advantage. If our damage is not critical, then we will take this isolated second ship and destroy it. We will take the lead ship and her sister in one engagement!

How are our capitals holding up ammo and damage-wise? How many torps do we have left?

As of now, we've got plenty of torps left in our CLs, as well as the on the Pax Romana. As far as DDs, we only have a single Mighty Faggot left with torpedoes.

We can afford nothing short of a crushing victory at this point.

Assuming the BCs can take a bit more punishment with at least some confidence, we should pelter them with the combined power of all 17 remaining 12 inch guns. They will run like the frogs they are or they will drown!

Let's take the shot.

We're still good to go, the only damage of note for the Pax Romana is a disabled turret. Unless enemy battleships steam out/back to reinforce the Duquesne' sister ship or Pax Romana is taking further flotation damage from flooding, this is a done deal. I repeat; take her while we have the chance!

All or nothing it is boys. Our combat line moves ahead to engage the remaining Duquesne while the crippled Spaghetti Hauler (6in to engine room cut it's speed in half) fires off a few fish at the sinking Duquesne, just to be sure.

Spliting our fire between the Duquesne and the Chanzy-class CA, we manage to set the CA on fire. The Duquesne seems to be going strong, although we've given it several hits. As twilight hits, we lose sight of it. Seems like it's time for the our remaining DDs and CLs to take over here.

CONTACT

If that thing is going slow then us then estimate the trajectory and force inntercept.

Hit em bois. No forgetting dem wolfgirls they sunk, lest lefties will keep bitching, damn furries they are!

We're at knife-fighting range and all the have is 8 inches of belt armor.

The spotted BC continues steaming into the night, just barely outrunning us. Our BCs annihilate a French DD trying to cover the retreat. We've got one Faggot that's just now catching up, so the fate of the French BC is up to Giulio Regeni.

Also, increase separation or set Italia at an angle - a single hit to engine room of PAX can send both of our ships to dine in Poseydon's pizzeria earlier then expected.

We find the Frenchman in the night, in a near perfect setup for a torpedo. She's still got her teeth though.

Afraid sighting range is less than 4km, it'll be a knifefight no matter what we do.

Get hype.

T A D P O L E S

The fish runs deep, passing harmlessly under the French ship. The gunnery crew doesn't seem to mind, and this fight turns into an all out brawl. The winder and darkness get worse, and now sighting ranges have fallen to 3km. We lose her in the darkness again, but at this range we can certainly find her again.

Your mom is not a torpedo, she is too heawy.

Uh oh.

How to run under a fuggen BC? What is the sea now? Or do we just use fin stabilisation and no proper depth sensor on a torp?

Thank God they missed.

There you are my little chickadee.

I'm just making the assumption it ran deep, it might have been a dud.

No real damage came of that, although the tube was rendered incapable of firing.

Stabbity stab?
If this teaches us anything, we need more torps on BC for night ops.
This thread gives me more hype than a supcom game I'm in right now.

We've caught up to her, although she's got friends.

I was reading about the Battle off Samar where the IJN lost two heavy cruisers to torpedo magazines cooking off from minor damage when that got posted

Honestly now would be a good time to bounce. Torpedo games at night are a dumb way to lose a war.

Choose your next words very carefully. Do NOT invoke the powers you are invoking. You know not what you do.

Some torpedo manufacturer is going to get some very angry 12" letters in the mail.

Nigger, what? Can we just accuse him of calling some woman a slut and feed him to lefties?

What did he mean by this?

The situation is beginning to deteriorate.

Those torpedoes are literally made of spaghetti.

Let's just pray to merchant god for enemy manufacturers to be as greedy as ours.

Save our BC if you can, using whatever screens to defend it for damage control operations, even if it's fucked, go for one-for-two.
Those frogs are not going home tonight.

I
WARNED YOU
H
Y

D
I
D
N
T

Y
O
U

L
I
S
T
E
N

DAMAGE REPORT
Torpedo struck engine room, Pax Romana has been reduced to a speed of 9kts. Her aft battery has taken a 14in round and rendered inoperable. That being said, the aftermath flooding of the torpedo was minor, so as long as she doesn't take more damage, she should be able to limp home.

*forgot prayer itself

Nice job, OP

Because it went against any reasonable probability, with the enemy totally scattered and their capital ships lost in the dark, that we would launch multiple dead on but deep-running or dud torpedoes in the same engagement from multiple ships in spite of our having a technological edge in that sector and repeatedly near-perfect positioning, then subsequently be hit by enemy torpedoes fired by screens from nowhere that function perfectly and just short of to the worst, most damaging degree possible.

Providence was, is and will remain fickle. Turnarounds on turnarounds. I shouldn't be surprised. Turn away from the enemy and fire with the functioning wing battery, if it's sensible to fire anything at all rather than be completely stern on. Italia il Audace and our screens will have to finish the job.

Emboldened by the succesful torpedo hit, the Duquesne comes around for Italia il Audace. Estonia and Bersagliere are ready for her and I swear to god if this is another dud I'm going to kill myself.

Update on Pax Romana: I've sent her packing home, but she's eliminated the flooding. So long as she doesn't find a submarine on the way back, she'll live to fight another day.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND NIGHT TORPEDOES

NOBODY SEES THE ONES THAT MISS

WE'VE PROBABLY DODGED A DOZEN WITHOUT KNOWING

FINISH IT

T A D P O L E S at last

Do not leave the scene until it is for sure dead. Get the screens to scout into the darkness lest we kiss another torp.

Whatdo these CLs have for guns?

Also, op, are you from Estonia?

Crippled by two torpedo hits from our CLs, the Duquesne comes drifts to a halt, Estonia and Bersagliere turn away, firing their ass torpedoes as they do. One strikes home, and we move to meet Romana.

In that case, I'll leave the CLs to perform another passing torpedo run.

6 6" guns, although they can only perform a 5gun broadside.

No, Seattle

Keep stabbing until you see the tadpoles in the water.

There is literally no difference, neither in size nor in sovereinity. Estonia just have lless lefties and more russian.

SI SI SI SI SI

This is what you will shit after dinner in pleb-class pizzeria.

Our CLs land another pair of hits with their fish, and I've never once seen a ship survive that, so we regroup and begin to head home. Mussolini's Lamborghini begins to flood somewhat, but it doesn't seem fatal. Everything's going fine, as long as we don't meet anyone on the way ba-

It iss too small to bother, evade possible torps and run home.

Gotta cut that little shit down, use our CLs to dust it quick while everyone else heads home.

Shall PAX survive this engagement, it has to have turrets upgraded to higher caliber. A fucking fleet icon deserves to become a long-range camper, never more to go into showelfights like that.

The little French ship fucks off into the night, we limp on back to port and celebrate the news. France now only possesses a single modern capital ship. As usual, ask for any battle entries and I'll supply them.

Wew laddie

Let's get the logs for all four BCs

I'd love to see which guns were doing so much damage to our CA

Upgrade outdated capitals to bigger guns?
Design a dedicated shovelfighter with 2" quadmounts or 3" triples?

aside from the BCs i'm curious as to how well Mussolini's Lamborghini did in it's valiant support.

What are those? Merchant magic?

Italian logistics

I'd like to see the logs for our battlecruisers of the hour and Mussolini's Lamborghini, who seemingly took the most damage beside Pax Romana as far as flotation. I'd also like to see a quick tonnage review now that France has lost all but one of its modern capitals, and our current unrest after winning this major of an engagement. Whether our unrest has gone down to a safe level will determine whether we press for hard terms/seek another fleet engagement to clean up the rest of her Bs or take the first peace with spoils- not compromise or negotiation- that we can get, if France would be so kind as to throw in the towel.

U've just made pastebins for the BCs, since chopping them up would take forever.

Dunkerque
pastebin.com/s0i93LHw

Duquesne
pastebin.com/SZN6yQF5

Pax Romana
pastebin.com/Vm8BDX5W

Italia il Audace
pastebin.com/XP2YL2d5
Audace actually only took a single hit during the battle.

The Lamborghini basically got fucked in the opening volley, taking a 14" shell to the waterline.

And to the Engine, fuck we got lucky.

The French Navy is in ruins. Our budget has finally surpassed theirs, and even better, out unrest level has dropped three points to a uncomfortable, but safe level of 7.

You should set large guns to use SAP at close range, there were seven 12" hits on the Duquesne right at the start of the night fight that didn't penetrate because they were firing HE.

Noted. Firing doctrines have been adjusted and SAP ammo distributed.

Very, very good. Please watch the unrest level and inform us of it, I don't want it to sneak up again. Tell me, how good is the AI about scrapping obsolete ships to free up budget? Although it's evidently possible for us to scrap the rest of their oceangoing battleship fleet without nearly so much effort as it took to get here, with only their admittedly quite worrisome 33k displacement fast battleship left to challenge us, but I'm not sure if we should if France will try to desperately soldier on with their leftover Bs, preventing her from rising out of these ashes as effectively. Then again, if we destroy all of her tonnage save one decent battleship, which we might be able to entrap and destroy too with some maneuvering, she won't be able to hold onto any of her colonies for long.

I suggest to commemorate this victory by laying DD of any class christened XDD

GB and the US have been scrapping their old ships and I've seen France scrapping some cruisers.

I'm uncertain on the best way to achieve this. A DD can't carry guns to really hurt, and a CA is a bit to valuable to use as a practically suicidal unit. So it falls to a CL. Here's what I think is being asked for, but it'll still run us 14M each.

Duly noted.

Jesus
If their expensive ship is reachable soon, then keep on fighting, else just go for the peace treaty, they won't be getting away with giving up less than two major colonies at this rate. Dibs on Corsica and/or Algeria.

Stabbity stab, can it has any torp armor?

I've sent one of our legacy Bs to Great Britain to have her main guns swapped out with 16" single batteries, although she's still limited to 18kts. Press for hard terms?

wew how much did that cost to essentially turn one of our to-be-scrapped into a monitor?

Yes, peace time now, we've done our damage and the unrest is too high to risk any more war for now.

Make you choice and rejoice.

I'm not sure why, but your allowed tonnage actually goes up if you go down from ~2500 towards 2100. Maybe it would fit into this sweet spot? since it doesn't seem to be aiming for 6 inchers or torpedoes that would require 2600+ and 2500+ it might turn out surprisingly powerful for the tonnage, assuming this is just for sinking destroyers and peltering other CLs when we outnumber them that is, i'm not sure where this class would otherwise ideally find itself.

I've only tried that on the protected cruiser armor scheme, it might not be true for others by the way.

wat

I vote we take Corsica and the Falkland Islands.

Expensive suicide gunscreens are nonsense. If a unit is to be potentially used in a suicidal capacity, it needs to have torpedoes, and ideally it should be small, but survivable enough to get the fish in the water. The only ships that can really pull off this punching bag gunspam niche are a very specific class of 10-11 inch using rebuild system-abusing legacy CAs in the vein of the Spartiate class, built as tough as they can get with a ton of guns at an at best modest speed at game start and then upgraded to the point that they operate as pocket battleships/cruisers through new machinery technology later on giving them whacky speed.

Otherwise, the best you can do is a scale tipping ordinary heavy cruiser that kind of does the same job, but which can't break out of its proper CA speed class when built with rather than rebuilt to a decent speed without becoming a battlecruiser due to the finicky chronology-dependent classification system. I strongly advise against trying to make a CL to fill some ass-backwards role between a Mighty Faggot, an actual screening DD, and a Mussolini's Lamborghini cruiser bulletsponge, at the cost and weight of a CL while fulfilling none of its roles. Since there's only one serious advocate, I'll even veto it if no one else wants to experiment. We are past the point of dedicated paper-armor boxing ships being viable by a decade and a half- they only really work at game start in their original form, and only extend further if built a game start- and need to start looking well forward into anachronist 20s-30s shipbuilding ethics to get and keep an edge. How are the current next generation of DDs, CLs & CAs we planned a while back going? I don't remember if the latter was drawn up ingame or just by the user right this moment, or if it was put into production.

Nice to see we got Djibouti for free from the army seizing it. We'll take Corsica, and very belatedly the Falklands. Any other combination involves us gaining a new sea zone to defend- either Asia or western Africa- and more importantly one which we actually have to devote proper tonnage to, when we're not ready to stretch that far yet; Corsica is in our home waters, and is OURS, while the Falklands will demand a small dedication and likely won't attract any great attention anyways.

Corsica è Italia

The Italian Empire expands once again.

'Argies' kicked out the Anglos, France stepped in and raised the flag. And yeah, that's what I would have gone for.

Forgot image.

We're going to have to balance this budget, or at least get it to a reasonable deficit until Napoli finishes her reconstruction. While I'm gonna put most our ships into Reserve Fleet, should we Mothball or Scrap anything?

Oh, that's a nice monthly budget. And funds remaining. I love Parliament. I love slashing our budget the instant the war ends by 30,000 spaghettibucks in spite of huge construction obligations. Please bring up the ledger so we can try to sort this.

Cancel the Napoli rebuild, mothball the predreads, reserve fleet the minesweepers.

Our 1900s-era nonscreen ships in general seem rather lacking. It might be time to take them all out back behind the barn, CAs & Bs and all, if sticking them in colonial reserve isn't enough. Then, once we've done that, finish the current construction and start replacing our aging light & armored cruisers with a line of the more modern designs. Bersagliere proved herself extremely well such that a repeat run or slight upgrade is in order, and Mussolini's Lamborghini deserves a sequel already. And we always need more screens & auxilliaries, as the submarine shitfest showed.

Cancelling the rebuild would mean we'd have to start all over, wouldn't it? We need to keep it going.

Since we just ended the war, it makes sense to pause our most advanced offencive designs which can increase tensions with other nations.

Parliament needs mo money fo dem programs

I've ordered it halted, we can resume it if needed.

Here's a basically equivalent CL at a slightly small size. Our CAs are largely still performing fine as counter-raiders, if a bit slow. The Bs I've found become floating gunnery practice after this time, so yes, we might end up scrapping one or two after Chef Boyardee comes online.

Performing fine is good, but creating a design that can stand the test of time even further is better. What can we do with a pocket battleship at the moment, with every value of speed, armor & gun as close to the pre-Battlecruiser limits of the current design era as we can get, and decent range & accommodations? They'd be very nice to dot around the med & East Africa and to replace our aging protected cruisers. I can't remember if it's 10 or 11 inch guns that are the hard limit to being a CA versus a BC, but depending on quality we may as well stick with the former. Likewise with 5 or 6 inch guns on secondaries. No or at least deemphasized torpedoes, we don't want anything getting close to a gun-heavy design with armor limitations, meaning they'll be of questionable utility.

What's our current maximum CL displacement? You don't have to project a design, since the technology isn't there to make the most out of a maximal 8000 ton CL yet, but I'm curious how close we are to that landmark. For now, reasonable quality moderate-size interims are good. We aren't at the point where even CLs need to be pocket ships yet, or where that's affordable.

Oh for fucks sake…ships have been moved into the area. In other news, our newest pack of wolfgirls is ready.

I've put some designs on the backburner, we'll get to building once our new Dreadnought is commissioned.

Do we want some more money, prestige, or just say "it's okay"?

Also, just noticed we're past bump limit. That, and the fact that I have a test tomorrow, I'm gonna wind it down for the night.

Budget. Our prestige is presumably good, since the only time it was mentioned was when it dropped one from a double B loss, and immediately went back up by 2 for a net 1 when we destroyed a BB in revenge. I'd still like to see it. And saying 'it's just okay' is probably tension related, either causing or raising it as a result of the implications, while the prestige choice could probably have such an effect in addition to the prestige boost.

Also, what are their cruisers actually like, just to inquire? The event seems canned, and I'm wondering if it is actually influenced by the tech level of the visitor.

Do we give a shit?

It's not so much the cruisers, it's the numbers. And results for the choices are (- Prestige, + Budget) (No Effect) and (+Prestige, +Tension). Current prestige is 33.

Nah

Germany is more likely to conflict with Britain than us, unless we get kooky Russia-style ghost tension again. We don't give a shit.

I like how the 'modern features' they speak of could date as far back as 1899. Or maybe they're talking about Psyche, which does admittedly look pretty good? Still, that number of sheer screens they have to spend- nevermind all the dreadnoughts they're screening, modern or no- is dissuading. Britain is definitely a final boss if ever there were one.

Permission to dump our entire (now well in the black) budget into MTBs?

How many Obsolete ships do we have? MTBs are super cheap and can be built in less than a year, I'd say we need to start replacing some old Cruisers instead.

Are they actually any good?

More Wolfgirls. If (when) our next war breaks out, only our merchants shall remain happy.

Also, report on what we have currently underwater pls.

Yes! Now is the time for obnoxious freak torpedo attacks! Assuming they can manage them, at least. What function do they specifically serve? Do they appear in tactical combat, or are they a strategic-scale you-didn't-invest-in-ASW tax like subs?

Are they still dummied out as an NWS thread from 2015 testifies?

In any case, get some MTBs if they're available and throw them into their best specific role if they don't just sort of exist like submarines. Round out our light & armored cruiser/pocket ship park a little with a run of modern designs, expand the auxilliary of AMCs & MSs a little, and get some medium range submarines that we can use to project into either West Africa or to western Europe and cause trouble the next time we thin the French fleet out enough that they can't meet their tonnage & ASW obligations.

Great stuff. Spend a year rebuilding the navy and economy alike, let's keep a neutral stance except in our African and Mediterranean countries (i.e. if the option ever rises to let for example the Falklands free that would give us stability advantages then we should let them do so), then let's wait for either (possibly) the French or the Brits to make one wrong move and immediately seek battle against them for Malta/Algeria.

I've ordered a pair of new CL's and wolfgirls, do we want a CA successor to the Mussolini's Lamborghini (fuck I regret assigning that name) like this, or something more middling?

MTBs show up in battles.

It is the best name and me and others have gotten many a giggle out of it.

nervousrapidbreathing.gif

I'm the one advocating it, so my answer is obvious. It's probably better to wait 'til some more people are around to call in, which'll probably be next day, next thread. I would say that the deck armor is a little thin as an uneducated guess, though. Her speed allows her to close and escape at will from most anything other than any anachronistically top-of-the-line ships the anglo powers have laying around for the time being, but if she's trying to fight at a longer distance for whatever, I worry that plunging fire from other equivalently armed cruisers will crack her open, potentially before she can get in range.

This will only become more of a problem as time goes on and she finds herself trying to keep the enemy at reach. If the deck armor is in fact sufficient to decap class equivalent guns with whatever protection bonuses All or Nothing provides, then I suppose it's fine, but if an extra 500 tons of deck armor is useful- and possible- then it really wouldn't go amiss to increase the displacement and provide for it. Even better if she can shrug off deck hits from 12 inch guns with that little bit more, meaning she can pick on obsolete ships well above her weight class on the cheap.

I'm not scared. She only has historical gun caliber. And historical paper-ass armor, well below the maximum 12'' for battlecruisers. I'm not scared at all, really.

fuggin bongs

Oh fuck right off. Unrest is at 8.

Calling it a night with this. New thread tomorrow?

gn fag

Good night

.>>13556083
Good night.

Night, OP.

NEW THREAD -→