Why ARE video games the only form of gaming that uses the term "gameplay"?

Thinking about sports and traditional games, they don't use the term "gameplay" when explaining how the game works and what the win/loss conditions are. Instead, they just refer to those inner workings of the game as "rules". Why doesn't this also apply to video games? What is it about the term "gameplay" that causes it to be used much more instead of the word "rules"?

That's because "gameplay" in the sense of irl sports is very self explanitory and generally unneeded.
Most people already understand how to kick a ball around

Are you retarded?
Rules and Gameplay are two different things.

The term "rules" is used because the "gameplay" is already existent in normal life, it's quite literally life itself.
"rules" are there as a sort of guideline to follow, think minigame.

"Gameplay" refers to the sounds that your mother makes when all of her orifices are being filled with penis.

Nah, I'm just kidding. The reason gameplay as a term exists is because the people who play video games have used it to refer to interaction between the player and the nuances of any given game for years now. Maybe it's not necessary, but who fucking cares? There's plenty of shit in life that is unnecessary, but that also gets mentioned or used.

Basically . In a game, the "rule" is not "press x to hit the guy". It's how you play. In real life, you know how to kick a ball, the rules are just in what ways you can and cannot.

"The rules" in a video games are the win and loss conditions, and the actions that the player may take towards the win condition. Gameplay is the programmed implementation of those rules and the mechanics which allow those actions in the first place. How good those implementations feel is what people are rating when they rate gameplay.

The equivalent of the term gameplay in sportsball and traditional games would be the physics of our universe. These didn't have to be programmed by a person, so they generally aren't thought of as part of the game unless you're autistic Olympian tier.

"Gameplay" and "Rules" mean different things, and gameplay is coded into the game while you don't have to follow the rule.

The gameplay in sports is physics, faggots analyze the physics of sports.

Because they're the only form of game that has had a concerted attempt to turn them into cinematic movie experiences; thus, reviewers had to invent a new way to describe "is the game literally fucking good" in the late '90s when this trend kicked into overdrive.

Also, the only type of "traditional game" with any significant amount of "assets" worth distinguishing from their logic is RPGs, whose subculture developed the similar terms "crunch" (mostly rules) and "fluff" (mostly not rules) to denote them.

Who the fuck even cares?Arguments about semantics are by far the worst, most tedious sort of arguments around.

Here are some terms I use:

Icycalm plz go

The "rules" are represented by the computer-coded limitations of the game. The "gameplay" is how you experience these rules.

There's no story or graphics in football.

This.
Gameplay in video game encompasses things like: Player control, its physics, how said controls and physics work with the game design, etc.
In something like football, people discuss things like angles and physics in general regarding the ball itself and how the players interact with it (although, most people only care about their team winning)

Because saying "rules" in reference to video games would be fucking retarded.

Because nerds hate jocks and want to differentiate themselves.

Because gameplay refers to how you interact with the game and not the rules of the game.

Fuck off John Walker.

Naw naw naw. You gotta get on board with the new shit.

< G A M E F E E L >

Because etymology and the evolution of language is weired and unpredictable. It's the word everyone uses, and everyone knows what it means, so people keep using it.
In a sport you don't need to differentiate between the "graphics and sound" of football or tennis. You only need to differentiate between the rules and the people playing the game. In a video game, you need to differentiate between the actual play of the game and the graphics/sound. Thus, the term "gameplay" came into use.
If it makes you feel better, (((academic discussion))) uses "game mechanics" rather than "gameplay".

There's no need for the term 'gameplay' in sports because sports don't have a story, hence there is nothing which needs to be differentiated from the story.

Secondly, sports have rules because a sports game is created by restricting behaviour in a certain set of ways. Video games already provide the necessary restrictions in virtue of the possibilities and limitations which are coded in.

Jews.

I don't really have conversations that are good for summary, I think the term game play combines the 3 core factors of a video game - the mechanics (tools which the player interacts with the…) design (which tests the players understanding of mechanics within the rules of a…) system (which defines the properties in which the mechanics and design operate.) I prefer to talk about the 3 separate elements and don't really make posts here containing the term gameplay. I tend to talk about specific things, mechanics, level design, or how the system of the game works.

Gameplay determines how you interact with the game, while the rules simply determine what happens when you interact with the game in a certain way.
The reason you never hear about gameplay in sports and /tg/ is because the gameplay is determined by either human physical limits (sports) or the narrative constructed by everyone involved (/tg/).
As an example, gameplay in D&D is when you're meeting the king and his evil advisor and decide you're going to end the advisor right then. The rules come in to process that interaction by having everyone roll initiative then giving your party a surprise round.

I hope for the sake of video games that video games will never be called an art form by mainstream media.

likewise, with the declaration of art comes government subsidies, and we've all see what kinda shit games canada funds.

I tell people this all the time.
"Gameplay" is supposed to be called "rules".
Games have been around before video games, like tabletop and pinball. In those games, when people wanted to dissect and discuss them they would call how the game played the "rules".

Tabletoo games have a story sometimes. Their "gameplay" is still called "rules".

Gameplay is a racist term invented by the alt right.

Why are people who play sports called sportsmen? Why aren't we gamemen? I am a proud gameman.

Here's some more food for though OP

color me surprised

I didn't see much of a point in responding since every single post says the same or similar thing. However, it seems that some anons don't think that the point has been hammered home enough, so they keep bumping the thread after it's been buried.

in other mediums, playing the game requires that the players adhere to a certain set of guidelines that define the game, these guidelines are "rules", because they are given to the human players who are themselves responsible for their fulfillment.
In videogames, the rules are given to a computer which is responsible for implementing them. This means that unlike with other games, the player is not concerned with the rules, does not explicitly know them, and is not responsible for them. Thus, because "rules" is now entierly separate from the player's experience, a new word must be used, and "gameplay" is an accurate one.
also you're wrong, gameplay will often be used when discussing TTRPGs and TTWGs

Are you high?

Gameplay is the player participating in the rules of the game, how does story have anything to do with it? I suppose Chess or Go has no gameplay, or cribbage or any number of modern board games?

Sports absolutely have gameplay; ie, when players play the fucking game.

Nice dubs gameplay thread OP

I don't think video games generally have the respect surrounding it for anyone to really call themselves that; even if you completely dismiss the stereotype of reclusive neet, i.e
Even then, "gamer" sounds more of a marketing thing than something emergent from a culture.

Tabletop games still take place in real life, with physical objects and human agents. Therefore, the person who designs the tabletop game is not 'creating gameplay' in the way that a developer who programs a video game is, but 'setting rules' which constitute the game once the players restrict their real life behaviour in conformity to those rules.

This thread is about why the term 'gameplay' is used in relation to video games but not sports. Of course, if you want to start describing sports in terms of 'gameplay,' then you can, but nobody else does.

No other media is interactive in the way games are. Unlike games, real sports don't follow a completely different set of mechanics because it's fucking reality. When they decide that you can't touch the ball with your hand in football, they're saying that you're not allowed to do it. In a game, they simply wouldn't add a grab ball with hand ability, so you literally can't do it. The way you interact with them is completely different, as are the physics and so on. And again, movies aren't fucking interactive, you don't do anything but passively watch them. Anyone who thinks they're clever by pointing out that other media, or even just real life shit like eating, doesn't have a term equivalent to gameplay are fucking stupid. They don't have it because games are interactive in a completely different way.

Gameplay does not mean "rules" dude. Mechanics means "rules."

This.

It's called Cinematography you pleb
Poetry
Mouthfeel
Handling
Comfort
Stop being a mongoloid that reads John Walker articles.

Life is pain.

Gameplay is a marketing term made up by the industry so stupid bimbos(game journos) with no knowledge about video games can talk about something.
Test it for yourself, if you use the word "gameplay" you can talk for hour about a game saying nothing concrete while pandering to the emotions caused by a hype.

You are a dishonest fucktard, non of these words has the meaning of the words you quoted.

Because over the past ten years, video games stopped being games. They became little stories where you guide a guy down a hall to reach the next cutscene. The term "gameplay" came about when people starting trying to describe what old video games used to have but are missing from modern ones. Quite simply, old games you could "play." There were rules and fail conditions and challenge and room to improve and master. Today you don't play a game. You just sort of watch it. So, when people describe the thing in video games that has gone away and when they describe the thing that niche developers try to include, in order to stand out from the AAA scene, they use the term "gameplay."

That's wrong kiddo. It's been around long before then.

Because sports transcend the game. Most people watching the games will enjoy and acknowledge "the game", but the gameplay is set in stone, and has been set in stone for more than 50 years barring small tweaks.

Why would people care to talk about the gameplay of sports when it's the player's individual skills within the gameplay that really elucidate the point of sports, which is physical excellence, not just generically being "good" at whatever sport they play.

Video games are so defined by their gameplay because it's the only level of communication between designer and player, other than the story. In sports, the gameplay is decided by physical skill more than anything. You can break down the gameplay of basketball and probably find a way of making a more balanced game where taller players are not allowed to make three pointers but have an easier time dunking and shorter players are allowed to travel or some shit but then they can't dunk, but then you're sort of missing the point of the game in the first place, no?

Take your shit elsewhere walker.

Sports doesn't even require physical excellence, you also have to beat your opponent at it. You have to outsmart him, because most often than not he's going to be on par with you physically. Otherwise you're playing at a level below your skills.

Most of the normalfags will instead of gameplay just call it fun. If they think chess is fun, means that the game is fun. The same goes for sports and video-games. It has to do with what you're doing. I doubt anyone but old ladies would think taking a stroll through a park would consider that fun, but that's what the walking-simulators are like, a stroll through the park or watching the exact same attraction, like the Eiffel-tower that everyother douchebag in the world has seen. It's nothing special unless you're a self-obsessed douche.

That's the difference between walking simulators and regular video-games. Because like with chess, your game isn't going to be exactly like any other game.

Ever thought of sliding a sheet of paper through your glans, on your dickhole? That's what it feels to titfuck Gardevoir, because of her chest-gem.

i pity you

Prove it.

I pity those of weak soul like you.

Low test post for a low test person such as yourself, fam.

I will fist your head in, waifu fag.

lol what a fag

wow what a homo