Spooky Thread: One last try after the other fucking two were eaten by Holla Forums

Anuuu, spookie dookie?

Is user playing anything mildly to greatly horrifying this spookiest of months? If so, where is it set - the depth of space, where no-one can hear you moan? Ruined old castles swarming with monsters? Or, worst of all, your real life?

Other urls found in this thread:

ddlc.moe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well fuck me, this one actually survived. Might as well post the previous OP then.

I grabbed stories untold on a whim, can't complain for the price
that first one, a house abandon, going up to the room in the text adventure and suddenly the door behind the MC opens
SAY IT, SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT
Started up soma too, its breddy good, picked up the gog release of the suffering, gonna do another playthrough of that since its been a while, started up corpse party recently and got spooked.

And man, i'd do terrible things for another game like dead space, everything in that game was perfect. Definitely agoraphobia though.

SOMA would be nice if it had some actual gameplay safe for the three or what it was monster sequences. The story is well done, admittedly, but you can't help but feel like jogging from cutscene to cutscene

Fuck that oceanic trench segment

Yeah, i got spoiled on the ending and some late game stuff but i never really saw the rest, its also a lot different actually playing it, terrifying as shit. Doesn't help its all deep sea

Deep Sea, Deep Space, it's all the same. Confined interiors, and the exterior spells an instant death or at least least puts a notable burden on your character - slowed down movement, limited oxygen supply, etc.

Deep Sea > Deep Space

Just the same. Crushing pressure versus total vacuum. At best, you could argue that there is -some- form of life in the deep sea, and even then, aforementioned pressure makes larger organisms virtually impossible.

Thief 1.

Got that on my backlog for a while now. Yes, yes, graphicswhoring and all that, but does it still make your hairs stand up? The Hammerite soundfiles sound creepy enough.

not as creepy as System Shock but you should play it for the levels alone imo.

Down in the Bonehoard will spoop you good and so will the prison break mission. Thief 2 also has some pretty spoopy missions, but it's a different kind of spoopy imo.

What are some good spooky games that have some actual gameplay? I've played STALKER and Thief, but I'm wondering what some other games are that I'm missing out on. I really love it when a game can make me feel uneasy without taking away my sense of control/power. I feel like a lot of horror games rely on making the main character really weak or slow in order to create a sense of panic in the player. I can't stand it when the player moves like a cripple even though some skinwalker is chasing them down a hallway.

What kind of spoopy? The spoopy spoopy, or the dangerous spoopy?

Not spooky, just cringy as hell. Fucking creepypastas are more believable and better written then that shit

A frightening combination of both

A frightening combination of both

oh god why i am sorry i did not mean this

I've been playing the horror games I've saved on my backlog for this month. This is what I've got

>FnaF Saga

I don't know, fifth one's okay.

The Amnesia collection was free on psplus so I'm giving that a go. Not too bad. I like the atmosphere and that it doesn't rely too heavily on jumpscares.

I want a deep sea game. The underwater parts in GTAV made me grit my teeth. One of the only things I can remember about that shitty game. You could probably make a genuinely scary game based around exploration and resource management in a deep underwater setting.

Also I want a skinwalker game. There are few things that can really make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, but the idea of people that are just off for some reason always works. Give the player a flashlight, a few rounds of handgun ammo, and a drunken midnight camping trip. It'd be great.

It's okay lad, posting's fucked. If it doesn't go through just wait for someone else's post to make it, everything queued will be posted.

Oh hey, I just dreamt I was at some party when a dog with a skinless head and spiny skull started harrassing me, and it was evolving into a more humanoid shape before my eyes.
I like being able to wake up from dreams.

You're still in the dream, user.

Very mediocre, from what I could gather

Basically scripted jumpscares: The Game. Has some limited replayability value due to different endings, however.

Literally walking-tier simulator; now with bears.

This one you either love or hate. The puzzles can be incredibly abstract or incredibly stupid at times, but dear god, did they get the atmosphere right.

More unintentionally comical than scary.

Play DreadOut!….it's a budget copy from Indonesia…

You deserve to be bullied.

give me a game that bests fits this image

Yoga Milf.

It's a spooky thread, not a cute thread.

Nice try, Mare.

Dark souls 3 is what comes to mind right now.

Fourth was pretty good tbh. It should have taken place in a more believable setting other than a school though.

p gud
not very good but rebecca's cute
not really very spooky tbh

FUCK OUT OF HERE SEEYAEYAYNIGGER

Hell nigga, whales scare the shit out of me. Nothing living should be that big, no matter how docile they are. Deep sea is way scarier than deep space, there is nothing living in space, there is nightmare creatures verifiably living in the sea, even if most of them are harmless at that depth. The upper levels, however, are full of shit that CAN fuck you up even if they aren't quite as hellish in design.

The blue whale is the largest creature to have ever been recorded, sure it doesn't have the size of a skyscraper but what more do you want?

AAA horror games are either shit, or if they're good they're old as fuck or run on old shitty engines or have shit controls. I've played a few decent games on GameJolt. Anything anyone can recommend from GameJolt?

Fuck that user. It's amnesia level of shit

Forgot the flag

>tfw too much of a pussy for fnaf
Scracthes is pretty decent though, story wise, one of the few games i've had to stop playing and watch the rest like a filthy casual

I've been playing The Void but its not scary at all.

Amnesia was good though. Soma is shit though.

Not gonna lie, amnesia was good for how much ive watched on jewtubedont bully the job ain't giving me time to actually play those game and finding LP that aren't using facecam cancer is a pain and some is shit, but both relies on foggy vision and high pitch sound with the monster

Nah. Soma was a complete shitfest with a thousand percent illogical plot compared to Amnesia. At least Amnesia never pretended to be anything but "It's otherworldly horrors, bitch. I ain't gotta explain shit."

user, I…
It's okay when I've got work in the morning and need a quick spooky, right?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

If you want to play FNaF but hate scares, play Sister Location. Least scary out of the whole saga, and Circus Baby's voice is so soothing I legit feel asleep in my seat listening to it.

You still deserve to be bullied. Five Nights at Fuckbears is cheap YouTube bait, and nothing more.

The outdated graphics leave a lot to the imagination

I finished replaying the dead space series a while back, it's not so heavy on the spooks but it's a pretty good romp nonetheless. Played some weeb team's free VN called Doki Doki Literature Club that made me unable to sleep tonight, but I'm a wuss when it comes to sudden shocks so that might not mean much to you. The basic gist of the game is meta girl who helps you get other girls' routes but doesn't have one herself is upset by this because she thinks herself and the player are the only real people. The game doesn't get going until after a weekend work session preparing for a school festival but once that's done things pick up real quickly, the rest of the game from then on has both scripted spooks and random spooks leading up to an event that intentionally drags on, followed by an intermediate state/puzzle, finished by a short epilogue and ending. While the development time of about 2 years gives it the possibility it was inspired by either the goat game or this mobile VN that had the same twist, it much more closely resembles an earlier work, Irisu Syndrome, which is another fun October time game. The scares themselves can range from really cheesy black and white doodles over faces to well implemented loss of control moments. My favorite moments are realizing that the chibi image of the hanged girl and text files are added to the game's directory when she dies and not when you find her, which makes the fake error log much more effective, and that the long string of black letters during the weekend spent in the club room can be read via the history button. Also during the space date, the club president knows if you're recording the game. There was an update recently that added a new ending if you do the puzzle solution early, and there's some ARG elements that look like sequel bait.

Only most of the time. Other times they get all fucked up and get abyssal gigantism, hence giant oarfish, rays crabs and squids. Cold climates can do a similar thing, where animals just start getting bigger. Things probably aren't going to get super giant again unless we go back to having high oxygen levels or something though.

I guess I'll wait to be back from vacation to try it on my main PC.

It's made with fucking renpy, what sort of eldritch distribution are you running to make it non-compatible?

All you need is to be big enough to be disturbingly large but small enough to consider humans prey to be in the perfect zone of horrifying.

I run ren'py games all day, so clearly it's got something to do with steam fucking up.

Well if (((steam's))) fucking it up there's an itch.io version you can get that's linked from the dev's website,
ddlc.moe/

What scares me more is enclosed spaces that are too large

I figured out why I find that dog so spooky.

Been playing Outlast the past few days. I was pretty spooky at first, but like every horror game, it eventually turns into a game and loses it's horror value.

Thief isn't so much scary as it is suspenseful.

It gives you Arx Fatalis vibes, being isolated in claustrophobic caves and whatnot.

That one is working, cheers.
Though a THIS IS HIGHLY DISTURBING safety warning kind of defeats the purpose of coating it in a cute exterior, doesn't it

That last one gave me chills
You know what fucks me up is the fact that even after a animal is frozen, even for years, you can still get rabies from it
Every year more and more prehistoric frozen animals from the ice age are exposed due to the permafrost melting or being striped by tusk hunters
Imagine what it would be like if the ancient version of rabies, one that may be even more spreadable and violent, were to be thawed out

The fucked up eyes on Yuri and having to legitimately stay with her corpse the entire weekend were actually good and spooky. How come the spookiest shit in the game involves her?

Stories Untold ended up having a pretty retarded story once it's wrapped up, some parts of it deserved better.

Spook is the Dutch word for ghost. If we continue to call skeletons spooky, we will meme magic them into having the same transient powers of a ghost.

uh oh

How do you do fellow literature enthusiasts.

This thread, pic related.

You think that is scary?

I see Loss somehow…

Just playing through the best Castlevania like I do every October.

Don't forget to eat your soup.

azuka looks like shit in this, what the fuck anno

Because fuck Natsuki that's why

Bumpidity-bump.

Also, what about a horror game where the however potential presence of a monster/villain is intentionally kept ambigious?

As in, you have to move through a house, solving various puzzles, and you slowly realize that doors you locked are no longer locked, or that items that you dropped in one place are suddenly found in another. All together with the sound of footsteps that might reasonably be explained as that of wood expanding and contracint due to heavy wind and rain.

Like all ideas like this, the question it raises is always "how would this be presented/marketed?" Something that is very subtly a horror game would just have a hard time making itself known, and in fact there is a decent chance some of them exist in the depths of Steam's shovelware right now.