Project Borealis

projectborealis.com/

That was fucking quick. I figured it would've taken the fanbase at least 8 months to a year for modders to start attempting this kind of shit.

Can they get any of the VAs on board?

Seems fine to me. Source isn't exactly the most stable or easy-to-work-with engine around, just look at the shit the Black Mesa devs had to go through with it. And Unreal is pretty good at mimicking most of Source's physics.

Project 🅱️orealis?

Oh shit I was planning on using it to make some shit, what's so bad about it?

Probably that its a "valve" game that isnt made in source

Most anons have toasters
I've never had many problems with games using UE4, but it has the same issue of any free engine in that in the hands of competent devs you'll get a well optimized game that looks pretty to boot, but in the hands of amateurs you'll get low fps garbage that looks nice.

Because Epic Games's parent company, Tencent, are Chink kikes that rule the Chinese entertainment market and are slowly injecting their poison into the western world. And that by making a game in Unreal 4, you're giving them royalties and feeding their kikery. Que someone posting the gigantic image macro about why Tencent are evil
I don't understand why people would sperg out about it for this project though, since I'm pretty sure this is a free fan project so they'd get nothing. I also think I saw a post where the people who are working on this project said they'd like to have made it on Source 2 but Source 2 is sadly NEVER EVER not out yet.

the guy who voiced gordon freeman said he was keen on it.

The original ones? Probably not. They might be able to get Kevin Sisk, who voiced Barney in Black Mesa, though.

If I were the devs here, I'd get anyone involved to sign a (non-binding, of course) contract saying they agree in advance not to sperg the fuck out that the fangame won't be torn apart by drama and infighting over what "Valve's intended vision" might be. The last thing you need is for everyone to pour all this effort into a project only to have it crumple under the strain of some faggot who can't handle change or imperfections.

Then again, they've already broken the first rule of any successful fangame by talking about it before it's released, so I could hardly expect that level of foresight. Even if Valve's been lenient with fangames in the past, there's no reason to announce this so publicly.

At least it's not in source.

You mean cue.

I can think of one: they want to get endorsed like the Black Mesa team was by Valve.

This has as much of a chance of being completed as a recreation of the HL2 beta. Even less so, since their site is mostly just links to their social media page and reddit board.

Ulster is part of the United Kingdom. Well, 67% of Ulster is.

Any "general-purpose" game engine is an unoptimized pile of shit.

So… who wants to bet that "Project Borealis" will end up being a paid product - like Black Mesa, and Valve will happily host it on Steam to take 30~40% of the profit in distribution fees and royalties.

Who wants to bet that this was their plan all along?

Maybe not their plan all along, but maybe using Unreal instead of Source is a way distance the project a little from current Valve.

I am not fond of the idea that Source won't be used (I mean, Half-Life 2 and Source were nearly interchangeable) but I am aware Black Mesa had a ton of problems - I am surprised to this day it got completed.

Doing what equates to some maps and recycling old content/assets is not what they want to do, although that would suffice back in 2010-13. Now it it needs revamping and refreshing.

Fuck man, I just feel melancholic over this whole thing. For Valve to bail out on their flagship product like that is just a middle finger to everyone who ever gave money to them.

Half-Life is nothing more than a Source tech demo, if it's not on Source then it's not Half-Life because it's not filling the purpose of Half-Life

OU

If you even had the slightest hope for HL after 2 ruined the series, you're fucking retarded. Also they just got done with the menu. I highly doubt this project is going to be active after that.

The HL2 leak has been recreated multiple times you fucking faggot. Missing Information, The Axel Project, etc. Even if MI is the only true remake, it still stands.

Here's your response

Nigger, Black Mesa: Source was done completely 4free by volunteers. Valve Fanboys have the autism of Sonic fans but the actual talent and will power to make good shit

Garry Newman isn't even bothering with Source for Gmod 2. Unreal simply has better features and flexibility compared to Source and even Source 2

I think he's deluding himself if he thinks a sequel to Gmod will ever do well either way

He's right though, HL1 was a fun game but HL2 fell flat in every aspect aside from graphics (which weren't even that good because, early on in the source lifecycle, every single map looks like it just rained 10 seconds ago.) They also cut all of the aliens that made HL what it was (especially the Bullsquid which is a great enemy because you can actually dodge its attacks and it requires some tactics to take down unlike headcrabs which are boring as fuck and stale by the way) and made soldier AI inferior to the first game. Fuck off with your HL2 ass kissing bullshit.

It's the cold hard truth. HL2 is complete shit and ruined everything that made the first one so great. It was just a tech demo and faggots like you only enjoyed it probably because of MUH FISUCKS.

I'm personally excited for a sandbox physics game with non-shit physics. The current Gmod Engine is based on a networked-version of VPhysics. Which was okay for 2004 but today he could go with something a lot better like Bullet Physics. Can you imagine a Gmod with Bullet Physics? Shit would be cash as fuck. The only problem would be having to start everything over from scratch and its not easy when you have to succeed a game like Gmod with potentially terabytes worth of custom content. Maybe a compatibility layer could be made but I doubt it. It also gives Garry a chance to tart over without all that bloat and feature creep that is Source. The current Gmod is a bunch of lua scripts taped together essentially.

yes yes we know

That's just contrarian hitting for sake of it. Half Life 2 was a good game and nearly equal to it's predecessor on grounds of technical achievment it strove for and storytelling it pushed forward by keeping the game cut scene-free. Integration of physics and greater focus on environmental combat is topped off with interesting art presentation that creates an interesting story.

Between the two I like the environs and climate of Black Mesa facility more, but HL2 simply has a coherent and well-told story, something that HL1 as a shooter simply did not have at a time.

But is Unreal the best option for something like that?
The engine has barely any public support, and compared to unity it has less than a fraction of all the premade assets.

I can understand doing it with unity, but unreal just seems a weird ass choice for something that needs to be open and simple.

Skippable cutscenes beat being locked in a room while people talk any day. Heck they could have even allowed you to skip the scripted sequence and still have no cutscenes.

Ah, the storycucks arrived just in time.
Uh what? If I recall, you spend about 10 minutes in Kleiner's lab doing absolutely nothing. And about 3-4 minutes at the beginning of EP2 talking to Kleiner and the nigger.

No, fuck off. Running around like a retard during a cutscene is actually less immersive because the player reacts unrealistically and has no choice not to, all of your options for how Gordon acts in HL2 during "cutscenes" is unrealistic and stupid, a.k.a. either standing there and staring at NPCs like an autistic faggot or interacting with other shit in the lab while ignoring the story like you have ADHD.

The physics system adds NOTHING to the game. Oh, wow, the gameplay is complete dogshit compared to HL1 and so easy a toddler could complete the game but it's okay because zombies can throw barrels at me for 10 hp damage and I have to deal with 20 unfun physics puzzles that demonstrate "HEY OUR GAME HAS PHYSICS NOW GUYS DO YOU LIKE OUR ANNOYING GIMMICK?!?!?!", on top of an entire fucking level where you're forced to use the gravity gun gimmick along with its physics just to demonstrate that HL2 is nothing more than a shitty tech demo.

On top of that, all of the "interesting art presentation" was cut before release, the game was left empty and hollow because they didn't follow through with 90% of concepts from the beta, one of which which would have been awesome (air pollution) because they wanted to show off their facial animation, a.k.a. gimmicky tech demo bullshit that adds nothing to gameplay. Most of the shit they cut was because they couldn't find a use for it, but actual good shit like the Bullsquid was because they were too lazy to find a use for it.

I can guarantee your post is shitty bait though because you talk like a textbook ledditor, nice job getting me to respond

They waited like 4 years and sold Xen for $20.

Between the two Unreal simply has more robust track record as an engine for physics, visuals and suited for shooters.

Now, whatever project was planned for after episode 2 was supposed to incorporate some new features - I know that Project Borealis team might not be able to make them, but I believe that these elements speak a ton about what the story's shape was.

I recall something about sign language and Alyx's old crush, on top of the Combine laser gun and time travel gimmicks. Was this too much for Valve? Were they waiting on some new piece of tech to make it?
We will never know.

Contain your autism man, you know that HL2 Beta is a meme and an incoherent mess of ideas and things that weren't even stung together well until before the release? Shit changes all the time.

All of what was achieved by HL2's point was impressive and important. Just because it might look like shit now does not devalue it. Also, not my problem your vocabulary is that of a 10 year old moron who speaks in buzzwords.

I can already tell it's going to be shit. They showed the Borealis teleporting into the menu screen. Well, the plot Laidlaw wrote sounds like it had the F-Stop project gimmick in mind, which can be seen in the game made by the person who developed said gimmick (video related).

Well smod at least tried to make it more fun by adding a lot more guns to it. still yeah it was pretty shit.

Where? Flinging sawblades at zombies with the "would you check out our physucks engine, guize!" gun? Exploding barrels, which was already a thing in Half-Life?

The only Source game which made a proper use of Source for environmental combat was Dark Messiah and that wasn't Valve.

Yeah HL2 is the reason why I don't care about HL3. Don't get me wrong, I liked the game and both episodes, but I played them once and never again (I actually played HL2 twice for some blogpost reason nobody cares about, so I know how the game plays).
I enjoy HL1 much more, everything about it is just better to me.

Having a story made it worse to me. It feels on point to not know what the fuck is going on most of the time in HL1, because not even the character you play knows, it's pretty immersive.
In HL2 you are the hero, everyone knows you, you kind of know what's going on and what you have to do, and what you probably will end up doing. Five minutes into the game, it doesn't take a genius to know where the final chapter takes place, who the final boss is, and who are the most powerful and interesting enemies you'll battle.
It's much more boring to me in that aspect, the only two surprises in the game are ravenholm and to a much lesser extent sandtraps. It doesn't help that the enemy variety is non existent, you fight the same recolored combine 90% of the game. The pacing and difficulty is also all fucked up because every chapter is independently designed to show off some part of the engine.

Words of a faggot, every time.

Is there a problem with that honey?

I actually find that excuse to be bullshit. I remember going through "Raising The Bar" and many of Valve's reasons for cutting shit out seemed pretty flimsy to me, especially some of the weapons.

You niggers are just salty because the best Half-Life is still a PS2 exclusive.

A huge probel with HL2 is that every single segment has a retarded gimmick (canals = physics puzzles everywhere then boat chase that goes on way too long, ravenholm = physics, coast = car, nova prospekt = antlion allies, rebellion = human allies but with dumber ai than the antlions, citadel = supercharged gravity gun and 200 armor powertrip) which results in no replay value compared to HL1, on top of no enemy variety aside from headcrabs/zombies/combine/antlions.

They're right that we didn't need multiple SMG and assault rifle variations, but the pulse rifle replacing the OICW is absolutely mind blowingly retarded considering the AR2 apparently fits 30 bullets into that small tube thing and the NPC reload animation is still that of the OICW.

On top of that, the fact that they cut all of the alien/experimental weapons from HL1 and the cool combine guns is disgustin. Ot left us with a boring, generic fps archetype in each slot and nothing more. The biggest problem in my opinion is the amount of aliens enemies cut, we have four main enemy variations in the final game aside from bosses like the strider and gunship, that's literally fucking it.

That was ported to PC while ago, though.

They had 3 types of rifles, 2 shotguns, an icepick, a flaregun and an extinguisher - inventory bloat and lot of repetition, especially with things like Borealis falling away and things like the pickaxe not being needed. That's just one of many.

Also, Gordon and Alyx were supposed to have an intimate scene, she was white with red hair, and the game was 4 times as long - do you think this would go well? People moan about the story right now, they would shit all over this if it were made in that shape.

Was that Q

Yes.

There was no excuse to cut the flare gun, it's pretty solid if you ask me. On top of that they also cut shit like the HMG for no reason, and there was never more than one shotgun, only the skin changed during development. What about the Tau Cannon and Guard Gun? Why do these interesting alien weapons need to be deleted to have no replacement so we can just use boring human SMGs and shotguns? There's no denying Valve dropped the ball on this shit.

Also, that scene idea was dropped extremely early in development, and her iteration with red hair had the same appearance as the final release. People moan about the story because there is no fucking story, the developers wanted to have it clearly explained to the player on the train ride but they cut that because they wanted to make everything about the """story""" and the oppressiveness about the Combine subtle, which resulted in effectively no story being told and Gordon running around like a retard with no idea as to what has happened in the last 20 years, also stupid because if he were an actual person he would be asking questions instead of remaining silent.

Also, the immolator. Having a flame thrower that shoots acid would be pretty good if you ask me, no weapon ever filled in that role in either the beta or the final game.

Again, inventory bloat, along with cut enemies and lack of gameplay utility - things do get tested before the release and unfortunately, majority of people are dumb fucks who will stick to the shotgun and revolver for 90% of the game regardless of their weapon arsenal.

That's not the fault of the player, that's the fault of Valve for not making other weapons up to par with the shotgun and .357. Like I said before, many were cut with good reason, but that doesn't excuse the boring shit we got in retail that's effectively inferior to the first game, especially since in the first game all guns had a use (pistol for massive range + headcrabs + barnacles, mp5 for soldiers, shotgun for grunts and vorts, etc.), meanwhile in HL2 you after you get the shotgun and AR2 that's all you ever use aside from maybe the .357 and crossbow once in awhile, and the crowbar to break stuff. If they had added enemies like in HL1 where different weapons have better use against them (i.e. the crossbow vs the Ichthyosaur in HL1) there would have been no issues.

1: the more you know about programming, even basic scripting, the less you'll want to use UE4's fridge-magnet-cum-conspiracy-theorist-pegboard behavior builder

2: the API is written in a far too technical manner without proper consideration for the entry level user, and the best way to find out what a command actually does is to type "what the fuck is X in UE4" into google

2.5: youtube tutorials are far less prevalent than for Unity

3: UE4 likes to turn on a fuckton of wasteful graphical effects by default and heaven forbid they actually make it easy to disable them

you could use Godot.
Godot 3 NEVER EVER!

That excuse is bullshit when you remember that the released game still has an SMG and an AR2.

Like I said before, they have two machine guns in Half-Life 2, one of which becomes completely useless once you get the other one. And they only had one shotgun.

And it absolutely does not excuse shit like removing the flamethrower, the guard gun, the sniper rifle, the manhacks and the SLAM (double retarded in that case because they kept the SLAM in Deathmatch anyway).

This isn't a good thing, though. Cutscenes done well are a superb thing to have in a game. Consider quality of cutscenes in a good game like, say, Thief: The Dark Project. Then compare them to HL2's retarded "stand around while an NPC talks at you" substitute for cutscenes and it's clear Valve fucked up.

The main thing Valve wanted out of Half-Life is a constant first person perspective, saying that is a wrong thing to do makes no sense.

See I would've thought the main thing a game developer would want out of their games is a good game.

Being silent while staring at NPCs like a retard and not asking questions about what the fuck happened 20 years ago is not immersive

Found it, finally.
Don't let the chinks take control of the industry ever again.