Video Game (((Journalism)))

Imagine if someone skipped through a movie and then wrote a review.
This is how gaming journalism works.

Out of all the young people who enjoy playing video games, the people writing about them are the handful of few who don't actually like playing them.

How did we ever come to this situation?
Clearly there is room for some major disruption here.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/cKK7k
oneangrygamer.net/2017/01/honey-badger-court-trial-against-the-mary-sue-calgary-expo-set-for-november-29th/21501/
boards.4chan.org/v/thread/392540483/video-game-journalists
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Corruption?

Yeah, cause that worked last time.

This happened because these sites started hiring educated people. Now all game ((journalists)) are univeristy graduates who wanted to be writers or actual journalists but could not find a job. They hate their jobs and their readers so they do the things they do to make video games "respectable" so they can talk about their job to normalfags and not feel ashamed. The people who wrote for magazines were still corrupt as shit mind you but they were mostly high school graduates (if not dropouts) who liked games a bunch and lucked into the job.

there's no real opportunity for disruption, best choice right now is to use the journos own words against them, literally just sharing the stupid shit they say/share is good. it delegitimizes them and when you attach that polygon or kotaco logo to something, get it around normalfag circles, next time they see a game with a review quote from one of those outlets they'll probably smirk instead of taking them seriously.

that's about it. but that plants the seeds of distrust, making these people a joke is a good first step to restoring the western game industry but there's a lot more problems than just that.

Too much corruption and cronyism, no way someone legit survives in these companies
Didn't you learn anything from Gamergate?

Actually no, because vidya journos don't skip through the entire game, they at best skip through the first 30%.

Actually it works more like this:

[citation needed]

How are you completely unaware of the amount of numales and other SJW filth that comes out of colleges?

Perhaps people should stop reading from these shit publications.

I understand that they go to colleges I just don't consider having a degree in gender studies to mean being educated.

Educated in writing doesn't mean "not a dumbass" user. There are a gorillion degrees in baloney out there, STEM degrees are all that matter.

Nope. Honest reviews would rate modern games below 5/10. Do you think the audience wants to read that? Do you think anyone wants to read that?

Isnt that what we are all doing here on Holla Forums?

Video game sites are not run by gamers/enthusiasts. They are leftist ideologues who actually despise gamers and gaming. To them video games are nothing more than another battle in the larger cultural war. It is another avenue to peddle their bullshit politics and social engineering. They are cancer. Fortunately, they are also mostly irrelevant and ignored.

Do you think anyone wants to read that?

Ya had one job boi

archive.is/cKK7k

Why are we here then? Just to suffer?

lmao remember when The Escapist was supposed to be the neutral good guys in games journalism?

Games journalism died in the 90s.

Thanks god i find this picture.

The escapist is dying anyway, look at the forum posts and everyone calling him out on his bullshit though.

I think you misunderstood, he meant "people with a worthless degree" you can get for fraction of the price if you know a good forger in 2nd world country and not someone who classifies as an intellectual elite

Do normalfags even read reviews or just go right to the score section?

My god that's great

Stephen Totilo looks like a child molester.

Pretty sure they just listen to friends or streamers

Otherwise I'm fairly certain that they just skim for memes, hilarious political jokes, and other tripe from /theirguy/ and wait to hear if they buy or skip it

Allot probably don't, One time I had to convince my brother not to buy The Thor movie game, and he was still like "I bet it was good" afterward.
I imagine allot just judge books by there cover, and have no taste so they don't even know when what they're playing is shit.

All behaviours in game journalism is emulated in higher spheres of influence. You can fucking bet all of this happens.

Shitty vidya """"""journalism"""""" is a symptom of the deeper problem that is the existence of casuals. They enable this behavior by consuming their content and listening to their blatant shilling. As a result they buy the game of whichever developer bid the most. While gaming exists as a mainstream pastime, it can never be good. And I don't see a crash in site, since ever more casuals keep playing

That's how they make reviews for movies. They even make them based on trailers. It's a known fact.

What's this from?

Mind your own business.

Birdman

This is part of it. A lot of these fucks think they're hit shit but keep being reminded by real life that they are nobodies, so they try and drag people down to make themselves feel better. it is part of the reason why they serve their masters with so much gusto all the while telling themselves that they are masters of their own fate. It's pretty pathetic.

see

The best review James has made in years is him dismissing a movie based off the trailer.

A fair comparison is the jurrasic park trailer to ghostbusters. One has good actors portraying people with a degree of realism. While ghost busters portrays a dull flat story that goes nowhere and does nothing.

The most disturbing part of seeing his ghostbusters review was where they showed off the dunkin donuts scene from jack and jill. It made me feel sick. I felt that should have had some sort of warning beforehand

Apply yourself.

He didn't even care about them being women though or the bullshit around it. The only reason why James did not want to review the movie was because he did not want to pay to watch another shitty remake that are always terrible. He drew the line at Ghostbusters because of how much he revered the original.

Videogame journalism is incestuous as shit and most writers bounce from publication to publication, meaning it all might as well be the same thing?
You new or something?

A market crash is unlikely. However, companies crashing and burning is totally a possibility. Ubisoft is looking pretty desperate, as well as Squeenix, Crapcom and Micro$oft's Xbox division to name a few.
Look at the Ubisoft threads in the catalog to understand just why they're on the verge of failure
Squeenix is hinging the survival of their company on the FFVII remake
Crapcom releases several flops for every one success
Micro$oft's actions seem to give off the impression that they're trying to smoothly transition back into PC exclusive game development and kill Xbox within the next 10 years
Even casual normalfags get tired of getting fucked and fed the same crap eventually. The only normalfag thing in gaming that seems to be truly invincible are sports games. Because of this weird phenomena where for every person that stops buying sports games, a new person starts.

Best part about all of those SJW's sperging out over James was all he said was "I an't watching that shit."
The flipped a shit but there was nothing they could really do since James is basically untouchable, he just doesn't give a fuck. He does what he loves hole heatedly and his fans love what he does. he puts more thought and love into making a review about TV only B Moive from the 70's. Then anything any SJW has about ever made in there entire lives.

Is his wife still an annoying ugly cunt though? Or has he secretly divorced her? I mean, she didn't bitch on his ass when he made that cuckbuster review.

oneangrygamer.net/2017/01/honey-badger-court-trial-against-the-mary-sue-calgary-expo-set-for-november-29th/21501/

This will further solidify Gamergate's boogeyman status if they're successful in taking down The Mary Sue in the lawsuit, but fuck, there's so many more shitty mags snd sites out there and this already cost at least 10 grand and 2 years of time.

I want to see Buzzfeed, Polygon, and Vice die before I get old, but that might not happen unless libel laws are strengthened. I'd kill to see the likes of DiGRA get the bullet too, in a Trump administration. If anything can be done about them, that is.

Isn't DiGRA an NGO? What can the Trump administration do about them?

In today's world, refusing to gobble up every cash grab that hollywood shits on your plate is crime.

They just has a second kid. I hope for James' sake that he never gets a divorce because the alimony and child support will be murder. I think his entire collection of retro games and consoles would be seized in divorce court.

Reminder that James' pig of a wife made him watch Fembusters anyway.

Market crash on a whole probably will not happen but parts of the market definitely can. Like I can see indie "games" just not being profitable in a few years. Hell I think mobile games are going through something right now.

Yikes. Fat and tatted up. She hit the wall pretty bad.

If by "games" you mean shitty walking simulators and shit like Undermeme where it's an RPG that you can beat in under 5 hours then yes, I whole heartedly agree. Games created by independent developers though, I see eclipsing AAA in the next 20 years. There are currently indie teams with less than 10 people making open world games. The only thing exclusive to AAA anymore is muh photorealism and drowning in DLC/Microtransactions/Pre-Order "bonuses".
The recent explosion of publicly available game engines, documentation and all sorts of once-insider knowledge is causing independent games to bring AAA to it's knees. I don't know enough to say anything about mobile but considering it only ever seems to have one big game at a time I will say that mobile seems to be an incredibly restricted market where only one game is successful at a time which seems like a recipe that'll lead to developers eventually become entirely disinterested in it.

I thought Square Enix was doing well because of gacha games, Final Fantasy and their Japanese media endeavors? Their western division will probably get axed though.

Jeff Gerstmann was one of the few honest ones, and he got fired for not advertising shit that the publisher paid for.

Then he called out Gamerhate for their bullshit and he was called a paid shill by Holla Forums fags who don't play games.

You don't deserve real journalism, you deserve a middle finger for that.

Looks like a kike.

that's not Donald Trump, you blind fuck.

Wtf u on about. Talking about the wife.

They've already cut Eidos out of the deal, I'm sure Crystal Dynamics will soon follow.

Yeah independently made games are not going anywhere is anything they will be replacing western AAA unless they turn their shit around. I mean the "art" pieces of crap that are made by people who hate video games.

Gerstmann was not fired because of the publisher they had nothing to do with it. He was fired because the new management at Gamespot thought they would lose advertising dollars because of the review. Eidos never pressured them, Gamespot's management did it completely on their own.

James has a tatoo on his arm himself, though.

So? Women have no business getting skanky tattoos as their only value comes from their looks.

Gamers don't read reviews either. They watch gamers they trust, play demo, or just buy it based on video from the developers.

Review sites exist because marketing departments want to use the supposed clout of game review sites to give the impression that there is quality in the game when they market it to the general audiences who buy purely on marketing. 10/10!!! Buy!!!

That's how game review sites get money. Polygon exists to be a Microsoft shill house.

The fact that vidya games is a relatively young industry which grew too fast. A lot of people in the industry didn't mature as the industry grew and it also attracted people who are only interested in making quick money. That's why you see both "journalists" and devs pull shit that in any other industry they'd get shit canned.
Also the political climate doesn't help - maybe it isn't the fact the industry is young since even films and such are pulling stupid shit. I don't know.
The real problem are these two things:
One is that they opened the door so that youtubers now do their job and they're just as bad if not worse.
Secondly is that while journalists have no power over the gaming audience they still have some power of devs and sometimes the games themselves. They can still get people fired over dumb shit which no one really cares about but dumbfucks in a company will take serious.
I'm thinking out loud so I could be talking complete shite

Both James and his wife are complete white trash so it makes sense.

Gerstmann is also a total faggot who whined on twitter about people hating on Treehouse's translations
Only Goons drool over Gerstmann, get the fuck out of here you 10BuckCuck

poor bastard

Being able to watch unedited gameplay footage (from players of all skill levels) will never be worse than not being able to.

Those are some sickening tris. What's her routine?

digra is a non-profit that was founded in Finland(?). it has no official USA chapter. So Trump can't do much.

(((educated)))

because its their fucking "job". So they treat it like every deadline.

That retard is at it again and other journos are siding with him, if you really want to make one of them triggered just use the word Gameplay.

Imagine if you walked into a restaurant, ordered some food, and then failed to pick up your fork, didn't taste any of the food, but gave it a bad review for being hard to eat. That's video game journalism

imagine if everyone ITT wasn't a cuck or too lazy to do a basic google search before responding
boards.4chan.org/v/thread/392540483/video-game-journalists

Imagine if someone skipped through all the cutscenes and then wrote a review

I don't care. Berating journalists is always relevent. Why are you on 4chan?

It really is 1933 again.

already happened, youtubers have all their audience and they can't exist without ((their)) massive cash injections.