How did this obscure ass low selling game(for it's time) manage to influence so many recent games...

How did this obscure ass low selling game(for it's time) manage to influence so many recent games, specifically western indies.

Nice useless preaching into the sea bait thread that will end up with circlejerking discussion with arguments we heard 100 times before.

because it was damn good and considering its small budget that "low selling" game was very profitable. i also has sold 13 million copies to date

This is the dark souls of posts

are you just a hipster with no perspective of reality?

For it's time implies the year it was released dumbass

yeah because games stop selling after a year right?
fuck off with your stupidity

because it was a good game in a time where there were none.

This. 2012 was fucking horrible.

/thread

OP is a faggot and this thread will be shit

Aside from Nioh and that shit game with vikings what other games did it influence?

This of course assumes you're not a retard who thinks having to pay attention = Dark Souls.

Hotline Miami Shovel Knight Cuphead Lords of the Fallen

What is the Dark Souls of soulslikes?

Because western gaming is a joke and has been ripping nippon gaming off since the 80s

Bloodborne

That's what I meant by shit game about vikings.

In what ways are those like DaS?

The only one there that is even a remotely feasible comparison would be Lords of the Fallen
Just because journalists and retards compare a game to Dark Souls doesn't mean it influenced them at all
You want a western indie that actually was influenced by Dark Souls, check out Hollow Knight
And its actually really fucking good too, I think its a masterpiece

They are the respective Dark souls of their genre, much like how Dragon's Dogma is the Dark Souls of action RPGs.

I would guess the death system, where you lose currency and/or XP upon death but can reclaim it. Shovel Knight uses it. I haven't played the other two but that seems to have been the aspect that most people have copped from DeS/DaS. That, and it awoke the desire for challenging games in the hearts of many normalfags, to the point where games are consistently hard enough for journos to throw a bitch fit over it.

Just like eating a bunch of street vendor curry is the dark souls of taking a shit?

The surge, same devs as "that shit game with vikings" but actually decent, rare to see a dev actually improve these days.

If you compare it cowabooty and other normalfag series, sure. But it hit 2 million in it's first year and that was considered by Bamco to be a huge success. You know why? Because the game was lower budget and so what they needed to be a success was lower. In short, it may have sold less than many other games, but was probably more successful than a lot of those other games because it needed to sell less to make a profit.
Because it came out during the height of hand-holding casual AAA garbage.
And 2010 was also filled to burst with casual garbage. It got lucky and released at a time when video games had no fucking challenge to them whatsoever. This game that's only moderately challenging stood out because everything else you could almost play with one hand.

Dark souls of taking a shit would be eating medical coal and dark chocolate so you shit almost literal bricks.

It hasn't influenced anything in any meaningful way outside of marketing slogans and general retardation from journalists. The majority of western devs have either a severe misunderstanding of what and why Dark Souls was good, or they're far too shackled by a hyper restrictive set of requirements for all of the awful modern staples that are mindlessly added to nearly every game being released in the past 3-4 years.

Because it's good, unlike your thread.

Salt and Sanctuary as well.

What is the Dark Souls of soulslikes, Holla Forums?

Dragon's Dogma, the Cuphead of Soulslikes.

Skyrim, the Dragon's Dogma of westaboo games.

Westaboo games? I don't understand you, can you compare it to an existing game?

If you were talking about Demon's Souls you might have a point, but Dark Souls was a good game that adopted a shit audience due to being on the Xbox and (later) PC.

La-Mulana's remake had to market itself as being Dark Souls in 2D to get any sort of attention.
Even though the original was just trying to be like old obtuse exploration games from a time where the internet didn't exist and you only had the manual and a pen and paper to write on. That game is great but it's sad they had to latch on Dark Souls to get any attention.

Marketing

Because it was fucking good you retard, 2012 was a fucking horrible year for games so everyone was praising good and alright games.
Don't you remember all the game journalists complaining about artificial difficulty and bad combat but then changing their mind when the industry and audience recognized how good it was?

b-b-b-b-b-b-but is too popular!

Doesn't have a tutorial beyond basic controls (Demon's Souls).
Cohesive setting.
Unique online mode & features that integrate into the world.

In a world of low-effort fast food, fat sycophants, and 80 iq trollups.. in walks a moderately fit /k/ommando with a story to tell. You bet all of the western numale indie faggots were impressed. They've never seen free, uncensored ideas executed semi-competently before.

dubs thread?

What's the name of this thing? It looks fun as fuck

I got it from handbeezy, not into weebshit, sorry.

Because its target is millennials who want to pretend they're grown ups. Yes, they do so by playing hard games.

It was marketed up the ass.

utter bullshit.

By being a videogame, something everyone had forgotten how to make at that point.

I'm so happy I read the based New Testament before jew propaganda leveled up to level 666 and started convincing kids to cut their wieners off for shits and giggles.

checkum

this