F.E.A.R. and what made it so good

Discuss.

Also how do I change my fucking FOV?

>(((discuss)))
How about you delete this shit thread, and either hang yourself, or create a non-shit OP?

I was clearly being cheeky there you fucking autist.

I did google it and found no solution. Fuck off.

It's in the first fucking result

-No hand holding
-Maps
-Enemies were fun to battle
-Could move in more ways than just directions and jump
-Always ammo for guns for blam blam
Biggest one:
IT WAS BETTER THAN GAMES RECENTLY, OR SHOULD I SAY SINCE 2007'

PCGamingWiki should be a mandatory bookmark for everyone, really.

4cuck tier op
get out

The cute underage girl
Just like my Japanese animes

Gotta love that lighting system.

It's mostly because F.E.A.R was a PC game

the game was later ported to the same console that BS:I was made for, the 360. It look and ran noticeably worse. When games are designed specifically for consoles first it causes things to be not implemented because they kill the framerate. It's a big reason why most games almost never have mirrors

Flashlight!

The reason most modern games dont have mirrors is because you can't use the same cheeky double render techniques you could a long time ago. And also because developers couldn't be bothered putting in the effort it took to create a room where you could do that without completely obliterating someone's graphics card.

Unreal engine.

How do I climb out of water if there is no ladder?

Mirrors are entirely possible today it just requires a dev to want to implement them and see them as worth sacrificing some graphical fidelity to have.

SQUAD CHECK IN

nothing

This is pretty much all that needs to be said unless you want to waste time bantering about it further.

I remember watching a making of doc that hit the web shortly before the game's release and they were all talking about how blown away Warner Bros was with it and how they gave the devs all the money and time they needed to realize the concept. Plus it was Monolith, and IMHO, they were the best FPS maker at the time. Hell, I thought the first Blood was better than Duke, though we know where the attention went.

I'm still enraged that when you get a whole bunch of autocannon ammo near the end you don't fight anymore replicas rendering grabbing it pointless

Finding out Alma is a physic dead girl used for experiments by her own dad was creepy.

The game has excellent music, story and gameplay. One of the best FPS I ever played.

Shame what happened to the series.

Better graphics means more budget. More budget means selling to the lowest common denominator to recoup that budget.

Golden age of vidya is over because games are too expensive now.

Alma? Story? What? All I remember from the game is kickass shootan, explosions and slow motion.

>>>/normalfag/

FEAR works because it gets what a shooter is all about. The guns feel, sound and are powerful, the enemies are challenging and the situation you encounter them are varied and the gimmick power you're given is used to its fullest. Also, the atmosphere is pretty good and the developers clearly appreciated and understood the inspirations behind the game.

Where FEAR fails is the storytelling, which is disjointed and lacking in impact, and the level art direction that is too dull, samey and lacking in color.

have you ever played it? the guns look and sound like garbage

it's about the level design, lighting and gameplay

You can stop having shit opinions any time you want.

I tried replaying it recently (last time was on release) and IMO it does not hold up. It feels too fragmented, not like a real world, you just move from one set to another and know when you move into another set that there will be enemies.

It's like one of those "area 51" style arcade shooters but you move yourself around.

*because no one puts any effort into them now
FTFY

Literally every shooter.

The gimmick power cripples the AI and makes the game piss easy. Most of the guns are good, but the AR and SMG sound and feel like ass. The Pistol isn't great either, but at least the shots feel a little punchier

People put a fuckton of time into making games. Crunch time is still a thing, it's just less of a thing than it used to be because it was honestly abusive the way shit worked before. The issue is that it takes too long to make the different components of each AAA game. God Hand was made in 6 months. I doubt you could make a PS4 game with a similar featurelist that looked like a PS4 game in under a year
Then you have the problem where executives want the game in X amount of time with Y features because Popular Game A had this feature so we need this feature, and the game has to make this amount of money over that much time so it needs microtransactions and all this other shit.

Not really though. A lot of older shooters for sure, but there are games out there that went for a more open ended approach, or had more organic level design. FEAR has that really "convenient" linearity, where you realize that the single office building you're travelling through is really more like a giant winding road of security desks and reception areas

Crosshair bloom is an abomination, so are the SMG's firing sounds. The rifle is also quite bad.
Go open up the game right now, take out the SMG, fire once, count how many tracers you see, how many bullet hole decals you see, and how many firing sounds you hear, you'll have different numbers for all three. It's bizarre, I could understand the tracers, though I think the tracers in the first place are pretty ugly, but it seems almost as if firing the gun once actually has the sound play twice. And I don't think the SMG has that weird "burst only, no tap fire" mechanism that the rifle has.