Vidya Repair Thread

I recently purchased a PS2 memory card that for some reason is unable to read data or auto save game data. would anyone be able to tell me why this is? Also general "How do I fix vidya?" thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

epforums.org/showthread.php?80757-List-of-CD-and-DVD9-games-for-the-Playstation-2-PS2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go back to halfchan, sperglord

How are we supposed to know? Open it up and have a look for yourself. The most likely problem is the pins being damaged or covered in gunk. If the board inside has gone it's probably stuffed.

Its an official sony/magicgate card?

yes.
Also, while trying to troubleshoot the issue further, the game I was testing no longer reads, and the disc is all scratched up. I just wanted a PS2 and all this shit happens.

Weird, rarely do the official memory cards crap out. Sucks its being a bitch. I would just find another one, at least the PS2 isnt broken.

The PS2 is pretty much the only thing working right now, and even then I'm starting to think it might start scratching discs.

What bunch of shitty people did you buy this thing from?

Are you just going off what it says when trying to use it while booted into a game, or have you tried going into the browser itself and seeing what the card itself says? If you ask me, it might be corrupt. If you did indeed get it recently, at least enough so that returns would be possible, try to see about exchanging it for a working card if possible. If not, PS2 memory cards are fucking cheap. Official make 8MB ones are about $6 or so where I live, and if you were to buy it at a an actual vidya shop, you could always have them prove what they sell works.

Try a different game with it. Determine if it's the system or the game disc. Also be aware that PS2 games had like three different formats of disc (CD-Rom, DVD-5, and DVD-9) which could also be a factor. Try testing something else with the same format of disc.

I'm not so sure about that. Some years back, my dad gave me an old PS2 travel case he found at a yard sale that had about six or seven memory cards stashed in the front pocket. After testing them, I think I remember only one of them not being corrupted.

Should also append that last thing that all of the cards were the official-make Sony 8mb cards as well; none of those third party ones with higher memory (which I've heard rumor shit themselves more readily due to the memory compression used in them, or something).

Don't tell me you bought the Phat meme

I did.

The later revised Fat PS2s are the best ones. First off the Slim PS2 has compatibility issues with even PS2 games. Like Ty 3. You can have a hard drive too. The fat PS2 is the best version. Especially the 39001.

I've got a fat that works just fine, both with games on discs and via HDD loader. Had it for years now too. Though, if OP just bought the first one he saw without doing any research on that unit (how long the prior owner used it, if any parts had been replaced prior to sale, etc), that might explain some things.

As mentioned above, experiment a bit to see if it's the cards, the discs, or the system itself that's having issues. And as asked, where did you even buy it from to begin with? Was it an actually reputable venue that should test shit before selling it, a donation/pawn shop tier place that might only make sure the light comes on when plugged in, a yard sale where you’re taking a big ass risk if ANYTHING actually works, etc?

That's what I got.

I bought from a local store in my area that was having a tax free sale. He said he tested it and it worked, so I have no clue what happened. Good news is I still have the receipt, should things get bad enough that I ask for a refund.

Just buy another one off ebay mate.

Okay lets narrow this down. The controller and the playstation 2 are good/fine? It seems like you have a scratched up game, and a dead mem card. Thats doesnt bad. Just buy a new card.

Take it all back, if only to have them prove that it's properly working. I'm not sure if those sort of sales are the sort that allow refunds or are "buy at own risk", but at the very least, if they're a decent shop and they can't prove the memory card they sold you to work, you should get a replacement out of it. If you ask me, in cases of preowned hardware, if it's not a guaranteed refurbished model, always ask if the seller can actually prove it's working properly. But again, run some tests to determine what all is working and what's not. If you have multiple cards and one works while another doesn't, chances are, the card's faulty. If all don't work, it might be the memory slot (and thus an issue with the PS2). Same with the discs and the disc drive (though again, the PS2 had an assortment of different disc types, so test with same formatted ones for more accurate results).

What game did you test the system with that it's not wanting to work with?

Yeah maybe take it back, ask them to use another game to see if the PS2 is fucking with the discs and also ask for a replacement mem card.

Okay, I would test it using DVD movies. Not games. Cheapest schlock you can get, or burn your own. Also LAY THE SYSTEM DOWN FLAT. Do not buy into the Vertical meme. Flat is stable, flat is good. Flat means fewer ringed discs.

The game I tested was Tekken Tag Tournament. I got it for $15. It worked once, then every time I tried after that the disc didn't read. But my plan for tomorrow is to head back and let them know of the issue. Hopefully I can get them to prove that it's working.

Tekken Tag Tournament have a blue back to the disc?

Yes. Does the color of the back of the disc mean anything?

Indeed. Blue backed discs are CD-ROM format games for the system, and were mainly used with early games on the system (my copy of Tsugunai uses one, for example). Silver backed PS2 discs most likely use DVD-5 format discs. DVD-9 discs could hold more data per disc, and I've heard that the backs have a goldish tinge (my copy of Wild Arms ACF certainly does), but in doing some more looking online it sounds like some could also be silver at times as well, though I'm not sure if they mean for PS2 games, or general usage DVDs. Anyhow, to my knowledge, the difference in format can affect readability at times, and not just with PS2-specific games (I've also heard that some Wiis can have trouble reading various double layered Wii discs too). Anyhow, you might consider trying some other CD format games and see if those work (might want to toss a PS1 game in there as well and make sure the backwards compatibility is working, given it might be having trouble with CD-ROM as a format), as well as actual DVD games, which will be the bulk of the PS2 library. Maybe what they tested it with at the store was a DVD-5 game, and not a CD-ROM or DVD-9 one, and it worked with that, or something.

Wikipedia used to have a list of DVD-9 format PS2 games but purged it; seems someone on Emuparadise retained it though, as it is useful for their purposes as far as burning discs goes. Also includes PS2 CD-Rom game list.
epforums.org/showthread.php?80757-List-of-CD-and-DVD9-games-for-the-Playstation-2-PS2

I tried a dvd movie and it worked with no issues, and there were no scratches on the disc.
Already done.

So should I avoid games with blue backed discs then?

I dont think theres anything wrong with the CD-R ps2 games. Just the one you got may be a bit fucked. I have never had an issue with the ps2 port of Star Wars Starfighter which is a blue CD-R too.

I wouldn't say that just yet. I'd say to experiment more with it, see if it has issues reading other non DVD-5 discs. Could just be that it needs a part or two replaced, or if the loss of all PS2 CD games is too big a write off, maybe look into if that store has any other 39001 models. But make sure they test it with all the game discs it could run (PS1 CD, PS2 CD, PS2 DVD-5, PS2 DVD-9) first to make sure it's properly working; if it's an actual game focused store they should at least have one of each to try it with. Just bear in mind what, if any, games your model may not have compatibility with to begin with.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

I've got a 30001 (I think), and haven't had any issues with any games I've picked up (keeping the above link in mind), but mine was a confirmed refurbished model, so I assume it got given the full run of testing and replacing before being sent back out for sale.

Oh, and again, test it with another blue backed disc, or test that copy of Tekken with another PS2. Narrow down where the actual issues could be rather than immediately writing something off.