Vidya with horror as a secondary element

As we all know, much of the horror genre is dominated by games where you can't fight back, or fight back much against the monsters you face. That isn't really my style of horror vidya; I prefer to be spooked while playing the game, but still have actual gameplay (preferably in the form of solid combat) to be the main focus.

2 games I can think of off the top of my head that accomplished this incredibly well is Stalker CoP (I haven't played SoC) and Diablo 1
Their music, atmosphere, worlds and NPCs (and obviously monsters and whatnot) just made the game feel spooky, but it didn't make them feel like "horror games" like what you would traditionally consider them to be.
Do you have any vidya of your own that you consider to be like this, Holla Forums?
Deep Space 1 might be one like this, but I've never played it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=H4QFhfQCc5w
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198093978955
metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/,
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
doom64ex.wordpress.com/downloads/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZrGmuInMc0o
forums.planetvampire.com/bloodlines-games-general-discussion/bloodlines-stream-hangoutinterview-with-rick-schaffer/15/?PHPSESSID=7502hurjaoi94m5ai0fuitjbi5
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Quake, it scares the shit out of me.

Go play it, right fucking now. CoP and CS are pussified in terms of atmosphere.

In what ways?
I'll check it out though user; I didn't realize there was such a big difference between them.

get out

More memorable and scarier locations. An actual story, more mystery, higher stakes.

No, fuck you. CS and CoP are nowhere near as scary as SoC.

In what ways user? How did it accomplish that?
I'll give it a shot, its embarrassing that I haven't played Quake yet (aside from that free multiplayer version of it)

Several 2spoopy locations and memorable scares and in general just a creepier atmosphere. Go grab it from the cuckchan /sg/ repo and play it.

And in case you're retarded I feel reminded to tell you to not play vanilla or something retarded like Complete. Use ZRP to fix the game if you can stand vanilla gunplay and tack on a gun mod if you can't.

early days of 3D so a lot of the monster is still left to the imagination and they nailed a oppressive gothic atmosphere for a lot of the maps

Play it with the original soundtrack or don't play it at all

I was having a real hard time finding a copy with the original soundtrack when checking my usual sites. Maybe I'm retarded but everything I downloaded usually had no music at all.

FEAR is slightly spooky

I got the google drive IGG version; does that have the OST?

I've heard a lot of good things about FEAR
Can ya elaborate a bit more?

What about unintentionally spooky games?

kek

Aliens vs. Predator and AvP2. Be sure you don't play the new shitty game made by Rebellion.
System Shock 2. Amazing audio engineering throughout this game.

Quake 2 and 4 have great body horror. Like a fucked up version of cyberpunk "muh cyborg" designs. 4's campaign is decent, definitely better than Doom 3's
Quake 1 has great soundtrack and Lovecraftian horror vibes.

As far as Diablo goes, Jesus Christ the music. If you have not listened to the Monastery and Crypt tracks with high quality headphones on high volume without focusing on anything else, you need to. It is a fucking listening experience. Whenever I hear Uelman's music for those games I just wonder how so many musicians can be so terrible at expressing the atmosphere of their respective game.

Does it count if it's a single level that's like this?

the t-rex was pretty spooky

Is the horror how it ruined the vidya industry?

there is this fighting game I have the soundtrack too, dunno if the game is actually any good because I haven't played it and shuffle fighters rante not my thing anyway but you might like it

The music is one of the strongest points for Diablo honestly
I was racing through Diablo 2 too fast to pay attention to the soundtrack, I'll give those a listen
Thanks for the heads-up user

Bump

Does Singularity count? Game was very average though.

The Black Heart was actually pretty good, even excellent for MUGEN standards

It is.

Fantasy games that feature undead enemies frequently. Ghosts, ghouls, animate skeletons and so on.

It does. The brilliance of the way they did horror sub-themes in Singularity was due to them breaking up the action gameplay with lulls focused on exploration and/or stealth.

Another game I'd like to mention is Diluvion. Playing it right now, it definitely has some spooky themes, even for people like me, who are not inherently spooked by deep sea. I mean, most people probably have seen the webm/video here. But there's more where that came from.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=H4QFhfQCc5w

Care to give a few of your favorite examples user?

EYE: Divine Cybermancy. Not so much when you reach high character level, but earlier on it's fairly spooky, especially Forgotten Centre and Monolith.

Sweet Home.

Now this is an interesting recommendation. It still holds up well for horror and gameplay? Its hard to imagine anything spooky and meaty on gameplay on the NES.

I've heard fantastic things about EYE but I know next to nothing about it
Anything you can tell me that jewgle can't that would sell me on this? Getting a lot of interesting things to decide between in this thread.

That's really debatable. Just pirate it and play it with an open mind, you might love it or hate it and then start loving it later on.

I'll sum it up in three images. Anyways post your steam and I'll send you a copy since I still have a couple kicking around from the last sale where they were going for a couple bucks a pop.

Not really IMO. It's basically a perfect "late 90s / early 00s" type video game that just got made ten years after that time period ended. It's damn good, and honestly I can't really respect anyone who thinks it wasn't. If it wasn't to someone's tastes, that's fine. But saying it wasn't good is another matter entirely - it's definitely really fucking good.

My negroid.

There are some that get a bit spooky once it turns to night.

The N64 zelda games have some creepy stuff in them.

A Resident Evil has horror elements for some reason

Thief 1.

Oh and the Condemned games.
Why the fuck did you play CoP before SoC? Did you buy into the 'SoC needs mods to work' meme?

Goodness user, that's really kind of you. Thank you very much; Hopefully I end up enjoying it!
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198093978955

Now there's something I almost never see talked about. I watched some person play part of it on youtube and it just didn't look all that appealing; it didn't have a spooky-enough atmosphere, and the gameplay seemed kinda barebones
Is there anything you can say about it that would prove me wrong? I know youtube videos aren't ideal for judging but I can't download and play every game Holla Forums tells me to
A friend just told me years back that CoP was the one to get and that was that; he said they were equally good but it'd be better for me to start with CoP
I haven't finished it yet as I put it on hiatus after a certain point in the game, but I had to admit the atmosphere did get to me, but everyone on Holla Forums says CoP beats out SoC so I'm starting to regret it… but at least I got introduced to the series to begin with

Condemned 1 plays quite a bit better than it looks from a youtube video but is indeed not amazing, call it 7-8/10 (i.e. still better than the average AAA shit). I'd still say worth a shot but not 'you must play this now' tier.
Condemned 2 (no PC version by the way) plays a bit better for the first third or so then rather infamously shits the bed.

He was wrong and probably one of the faggots who likes Misery. CoP is easier to get into for the more casual faggot due to the more WoW-style structuring of its content and lower level of hobo-phase difficulty on a first playthough.
It isn't the end of the world to play it first but you really should play SoC. If/when you get around to it you can always ask the stalker thread for basic advice but you only really need patch 1.0005 (1.0006 also acceptable) and ZRP metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/, optionally also a graphics mod if you're picky but I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for the links and advice user, I'll definitely check out SoC when the urge strikes me again
I didn't know Thief 1 had horror elements either; I know that one is really good but I haven't watched any gameplay for it. What are the horror elements present in it? Can ya sell me on it?

Thief 1 (strictly speaking Thief: The Dark Project then later Thief Gold) was originally not supposed to be a stealth game at all instead being something a bit more like a first person RPG + sword fighting game called Dark Camelot. It eventually changed into Thief for various reasons but some of the original shit was left over (even including a few levels iirc). Without going too deep into spoilers certain levels have you dealing largely/entirely with zombies, ghosts and so on (the first one of these involves raiding a tomb) and combined with excellent sound design/tech (the latter an area where Thief 1 and 2 excel compared even with modern games) those levels have a real horror vibe particularly for a first time player. Thief 2 went more for pure thieving instead of the supernatural elements partly because of complaints about you doing comparatively little of it in 1, as a result many consider it the superior game. Personally I've come to love both games and really enjoy 1's more spooky levels.

In addition to being probably the best pair of 3D stealth games ever released Thief 1 and 2 also do interesting things with difficulty: harder difficulty settings impose extra conditions/objectives (steel more loot, rescue specific faggots, steal specific items, stick to non-lethal on humans), move guards around and even open up and close off whole sections of the map instead of only buffing the enemy/weakening the player. As a result you should really play on Expert. You also have things like rope arrows allowing fairly free-form movement and some notable non-horror levels that I also can't discuss without spoiling. I'd dedicate a paragraph to the sound tech but I'm too lazy, just note that it's great and jewishness prevented us having comparable stuff nowadays (maybe another user will come tell that story). I will say that your movement speed directly effects the sound you make to the point that the game's manual actually told you to tap the forwards key instead of holding it down (the calculation for sound is something like 'average speed in a second') to reduce sound made if needed.

If you want to play it get Thief Gold (this was a re-release with some new levels and some changes to existing levels) and TFix ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733 (texture packs optional, check pcgamingwiki). Also note that CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+END lets you skip any level no questions asked: this is important when you encounter the Thieves' Guild, a terrible level added in Gold. 2 and 3 also have fanpatches, ask on Holla Forums or again check pcgamingwiki for details.

I'm afraid I can't really go into too much detail on the horror stuff without, in my opinion, spoiling some of the game's better levels. Just know that vidrelated chasing you is some scary shit, particularly when there are multiple of the faggots after you and you've not been playing long enough to know how to handle that.

condemned combat is pretty decent in my opinion, some weapons like the shovel are a little clunky to use but smashing someone in the face with a piece of concrete on the end of rebar is really satisfying.

Cosmic horror setting

Too bad you guys aren't internet pros like me

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/addons-mods/quake-1-music-cd/

Bump

the only scary doom game

This thread gets more and more interesting as it goes on

Games that have the final leves/areas that are wildly different than the rest are pretty good for that. Nothing specific comes to mind, but I know I've experienced it before.

doom64ex.wordpress.com/downloads/
you should all play it

Thank ye for the link user, it definitely looks like it'll be entertaining

Holy shit what a write-up, thanks user
I'll take your word for it, sound is one of the most important parts when it comes to the type of games I'm looking for so it seems thief will definitely scratch that itch, and the level of depth to its systems and varieties and tools to approach the game with sounds marvelous

You know how I know you never played Doom 2 alone in a dark room as a kid?

Shit, I even checked ISOZONE but I didn't think to look at addons. Thanks, user.

here's a photo of a little me playing doom as a kid 20 years ago, doom was never scary until doom 64

thats interesting. My imagination was going crazy when i was young, i was scared of few games on amiga we had, i was also pretty scared of max payne when it came out, believe it or not. Atmosphere was just crushing heavy, its still is pretty dense, but im not scared anymore.

Dark Corners of the Earth
Creates EXCELLENT atmosphere and bases its plot off several H.P. Lovecraft stories.

There's a couple actually horrifying chase segments in the game too.

Dragon's Dogma is the only game I can think of were the night time is actually pitch black like in real life and not stupidly bright like in every other game ever made.

I was too, at least the nightmare levels scared me with the baby crying. Last I played it just kinda annoyed me, especially the last nightmare sequence, so I decided to share a cool trick to skip the unfun, imprecise platforming in at least the first nightmare years ago on youtube.

I fucking loved how they handled Innsmouth in what I saw of it. Just fantastic and adrenaline-rushing.
SEARCH THE AREA

Forgot that I still have this

Fun fact: On a toaster the game is literally impossible to beat because your speed is tied to your framerate and during the chase scene in Innsmouth you move so slow that you can't escape.

Blood probably counts as secondary horror going by OP's critera

Wrong

That's actually hilarious and awful

Blood and carnage don't inherently count as horror, it has to be mixed with spooky themes, settings, atmospheres and enemies, but its definitely a common factor though, yeah

ya it was probably 21 or 22 years i was just guessing

It took me around a dozen failed attempts before I broke down and looked it up on youtube and at that point I noticed that everyone else's game was moving twice as fast as mine was.

Did you ever figure out a solution to get past it?

Fuck off reddit. I don't know why, but CoP is always the first and last stalker for casuals.

All of these pretty much

By turning my settings down to maximum overpotato I was able to barely squeak by but at that that point I was so sick of it that I put the game down.

That's depressing. Did you ever end up finishing the game at any point user, or did you put it down permanently?

thE FLeSh oF fAllEn ANgELs

I found myself being spooked by this game quite a bit.
The werewolf section gave me a mini-heart attack.

I think it had something to do with the awesome soundtrack:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZrGmuInMc0o

Love me some Jeanette

Check this shit out (scroll down to the Q&A) forums.planetvampire.com/bloodlines-games-general-discussion/bloodlines-stream-hangoutinterview-with-rick-schaffer/15/?PHPSESSID=7502hurjaoi94m5ai0fuitjbi5

Too bad it's a broken mess and the only good part is the chase.

(checked)

I don't handle horror stuff very well.

y-yes, I think so. I just started the game and I know I'm easily frightened and get spooked over the smallest things, but I had to exit the game after 10 minutes ;_; Before you even get a weapon, when you're in that house with a burned child corpse on the ground and a note saying their family member got sick and turned violent so they locked them in the room. After you read the note you can hear something upstairs and the ball bounces down the stairs. I started sweating and had to quit, I can't bear myself go any further. I think I would have a heart attack.

Why am I such a coward, I wish I weren't so that I could play more games.

Daggerfall is a good example. Generally any game that has undead foes is bound to have some sort of horror elements. I don't think you can reanimated dead bodies without it. It's more prominent in fantasy games though, because people like fighting skeletons and ghosts with swords.

*can have

BUmp

Holy shit dude, that's metal. Pretty cool find, he seems like a chill guy.

It seems hyperbolic but holy shit I hope this is real.

It's literally fucking nothing, just a generic spoopy empty area that gives you some background lore on the island before you get into the proper shootan and time travellan gameplay. Just continue on, there are no enemies in that area.

I quite liked Singularity, it had an interesting premise and decent gameplay. Shame it was just a one off thing, I would have liked to see it made into a series based off the "kill both of them and head off to America to start insurrection against super-USSR" ending.

Y-you're not lying to me user, are you?

Also do you know how to lower mouse sensitivity by any chance? I don't think it's possible and I can't find anything on google, but I just figured to ask in a chance you might know.

I am amazed nobody named this game.

I was gonna post the plane of oblivion

No. In Skyrim horror is a primary element due to how horrible it is.

Game who have horror as a secondary element do horror better than those who do it as primary.

is grimdark horror?

Witcher also has a lot of horror themed quests. The third one especially.

Diablo~ Hell Yeah

There was a monster upstairs and a few of them later outside as well :( I got to the school or hospital, I'm not sure what it is, but I'm afraid to continue and low FOV is giving me headache.

Bump for good thread

last bump

Yeh, sadly modern vidya doesn't have people like him or Klepacki doing the music.

Blood is an FPS horror comedy. It's like Duke Nukem with more Black Humor.

Any of the "souls" games for sure, especially areas like Latria, Blighttown, or the entirety of Bloodborne.

At first I thought those two eyes are fuck huge and the thing is looking at you from behind the house.
That would be fucking cool and horrifying.
But it turned out it's some pansy ass small guy of a ghost.

You could sneak around in a lot of those levels too, but I'm pretty sure you didn't play the Thief 1 version of Down in the Bonehoard. Thief Gold redid that level to become much, much easier but for most players it was like a desperate scramble to find your shit and run from zombies you absolutely cannot fucking kill. A lot of players had an attitude of "please let's get back to stealing things and not running from unkillable zombies." To be fair you could sneak around that level too, but once a zombie was on your ass you were in deep shit, and it wasn't so easy to tell if a zombie would come or not.

I played the original TDP Bonehoard but many, many years ago, every replay after my first (which was TDP) has been Gold. Either way yes, you can sneak fairly easily through the undead levels but that's not going to happen on a first playthrough (you're more likely to be shitting yourself than thinking things through logically).
I actually used to be one of those fags who hated the undead levels and thus preferred 2. Nowadays I'm the other way around, I think 1's horror elements worked well in contrast to the normal Thieving and 2 felt more one-note as a result.

I still remember those choking hands. I still wonder how to hell do you get these hands off your neck; all I did was try to blast it before it comes close and save often.

bump

The part where the invisible guys attack you turned me into a little girl.

Seconded this. Such a great game and had great multiplayer. Game was so far ahead of its time, including random spawning enemies in each map, which the kikes at valve copied.

Holy fuck that's so depressing. Honestly I wish I never got into video games.

Isn't that just a pure horror game though?
and it didn't look that impressive either from what I saw of it

It could've been fantastic if it was Half-Life, but underwater and scary laboritories.

Forgot the thread theme. I would say it's more about atmosphere and a twisted story than anything. It's not like Amnesia where your constantly hiding or freaking the fuck out. It's alot more just about discovering what happened and enjoying the atmosphere. There's a few things I don't like, but overall, it's enjoyable. Compared to most of the "triple A" garbage that's released on a monthly basis, it's a god send. You can tell how much work the devs put into the game, it really shows.

FF7 can be genuinely creepy in certain areas and parts of the story. Sephiroth, Hojo, and Jenova specifically are basically horror villains in both origins and how they are handled. It's refreshing when you compare them to other JRPG villains.

Prepare to Die

I think the reason it's so scary is because it constantly changes up the kind of horror you have to deal with. That and it mixes up the horror with a lot of dark comedy or pure action or stealth sequences. It gives you time to relax just so it can scare the shit out of you in the next mission.

Bump

this thread still lives???

Oh boy, the plane of Oblivion was genuinely great the first time I got into it.
It only needed some torture devices and it would have been a 3d diablo level.
The first time you walk from one tower to the other in Kvatch feels pretty awesome. It gives you a good sense of progress. I wish Oblivion's levels could be redesigned.

Pro-tip: ya'll motherfuckers should be looking for the original Quake shareware CD and qcrack.exe. I'll let you figure out why.