Why are games where the ancient ruins are modern day the shit?

Why are games where the ancient ruins are modern day the shit?

Something about 'people dont know what they lost its so far past the apocalypse' gets my dick rock hard.

Do you understand? do you feel the feel i am feeling?

Jak 2

Same, too bad it's almost never done

It's fun to imagine how inhabitants of the far future would react to our lifestyles and technology. That's why when I die I'm having my brother dismember my body in a strange, ritualistic fashion while being buried with all sorts of weird objects on a hillside

Fallout games, except it takes on retrofuturism rather than modern day.

ETRIAN ODYSSEY V IS LESS THAN 30 DAYS AWAY NIGGA

I've got zero interest in that game honestly

The 2015 Mad Max game.

The strangest one is how FFIX is super mainstream but nobody noticed how its this shit to a T

FFIX is the best sci-fi game in the series and because people skip dialogue they never even fucking know.

Is there any good game with this that's not jap? Recommend me something, anons, I'm tired of only playing Doom all the time.

I don't because I've rarely played games like this
Tell me more, OP

It's even better if the game never really addresses it, it just remains unexplained ancient ruins that no one cares about other than potential valuables to be gained

Toukiden 2 and Monster hunter has a lot of these.

I've not gotten far into it but the manga/anime made in abyss has this kind of thing. They dig up ancient relics but every so often find a human corpse from 4000 years ago in the pose of christian prayer and they have no idea what the pose means.

Monster Hunter not so much. One of the art books had a concept for a man-made dragon, but it never got used and doesn't quite fit the bill anyways.

Nier, Etrian Odyssey, FF13 and so on. Its really more popular in japanese culture.

What? Didn't that one end with creating our universe?

Nier's a bit more explicit with it, though. Complete with a history from the time the Drakengard universe breaks into ours all the way through the infection, quarantine, and Project Gestalt. Hell, its opening takes place only a short way into the future.

Pikmin

Splatoon does this, but it's a lot less subtle about it. The Splatfest announcement comes from a fax machine, which is so old it's assumed to be mystical.

Nier is better on a replay because of it

Is it salt? I wouldn't know, but that sounds really hard to believe. Ash would make a lot more sense.

It's salt, because of White Chlorination Syndrome. It's story relevant.

I was beaten to the punch, but yes, it's definitely salt. Look up White Chlorination Syndrome.

I'm assuming you dont know the backstory?

After drakengards ending where the boss and protagonist are pulled into the real world Shinjuku the boss crumbles to salt and dies. Later this spreads a contagion called 'White Chlorination Syndrome' where people are literally collapsing and turning into salt crystals. The way to try and avoid it is give people grimoires to split their soul from their body. The soul becomes a 'Gestalt' and the body dies. Android tenders clone new bodies called Replicants and the Gestalts are inserted into a new body after WCS burns itself out. By the beginning of Nier Shinjuku is surrounded by 'The Wall of Jericho' to keep it sealed and its literally buried in salt. Niers daughter is dying so he makes a faustian deal with the book and becomes the Shadow Lord. A gestalt that keeps its ego and id while the rest fall into a degenerate state and become shades. He makes a deal with the androids. Save his daughter and he becomes their guinea pig.
Cut to millenia later and Niers replicant and his daughters replicant live happy lives till the time to merge his daughter with her replicant. Because the replicants have become self aware and cultivated their own soul two cannot share one body and a disease called The Black Scrawl starts to kill her. Beginning a two man war of a mans ghost and the mans clone fighting for two versions of the same daughter.

That 'snow' at the start? thats all that is left of humanity. The clones are infertile and each generation the androids just remake them and tell them 'they look similar because they are related' but humanity died out that summer. Summer being important just to tell the uninitiated its now snow.

But we are initiated, arent we bruce?

And that's where we're going.

Personally, I hope the future world is dominated by super intelligent humanoid birbs, and that they find our weird shit. They would particularly enjoy things that allow us to fly like helicopters and planes, since they simply wouldn't ever have to invent them.

Ever see Life After People? A fascinating show about what could happen after we are gone. The immediate stuff was interesting. Since americans hunted all the natural predators of Deer no hunting season means their population would explode and after a year they would be shoulder to shoulder for miles, eating every organic thing they could like a swarm or plague and starving to extinction after about 2 years. Meanwhile due to their ability to live on things like packaging made of glue and paper Rats would thrive in just enough numbers to become our replacements as the dominant species, dramatically increasing in size and strength.
Along with things like water cracking open roads allowing for weeds to grow and form topsoil for trees to grow and in 5 years every road would be an alien strip of forest running through a city like a river of trees.

goes all the way to like 10,000 AD when its all gone but the pyramids and hoover dam. Caesar was right to covet it as were the NCR. That thing will outlast civilisations.

Nigger you need to look at dying earth style settings more. It is a genre for what you described.
I played a D&D campaign in my GMs dying earth setting and it was glorious. The planet as we knew it only has a tiny habitable strip of land along the equator with inhospitable climate extremes and weather phenomena on either side. Ancient ruins abound of many different kinds which not a single fucking person knows the true origin of. There are scholars who are aware of ancient civilizations that made some of the ruins, but it is basically just a bunch of dickheads wallowing in their own Dunning-Krueger syndrome. Also there are many huge statues scattered throughout the known land, which is mostly arid and unforgiving desert, rocky wasteland, and marshes with weird as fuck fungi that you would feel uncomfortable touching with a hazmat suit.
The statues turn out to be the truly oldest thing around, with obscure and vaguely demonic cults still dedicated to them scattered throughout. Some of the ruins are actually built by aliens that travel around using magic starships (with spellcasting brains in vats) and had the good sense to get the fuck out when 90% of the planet went to shit. These settings are really cool because everywhere you go you discover crazy ancient shit. On the downside it makes you feel more insignificant because of the magnitude of history implied, but that has never bothered me personally. I dislike power fantasies.

Some art references the GM showed us to help visualize the setting are included here. The last one with 3 arms was a playable race.

Ended up being first, fuck my multi select I guess.

Just started watching it and I immediately remember why I stopped watching the History Channel.

HEY GUYS REMEMBER HITLER
HOW ABOUT HITLER
I HOPE YOU LIKE HITLER
MAYBE SOME MORE HITLER
I BET SOME HITLER WOULD GO OVER WELL HERE
ALSO ALIENS MADE THE PYRAMIDS

Should leak by this time next week.

You're misreading it. The twist is that Terra is the FF1 world, while Gaia is the FF3 world.

Is such a thing even possible?

Hey man you leave coast to coast alone, youtube rips of those crackpots are riveting background noise!

This thread reminded me of All Tomorrows.

But Satan, we do like Hitler. Only communists don't.

My existential dreading nigga. Alltommorrows is the shit.
I highly recommend anyone who hasn't to read that. It's about the history of Earth up to billions of years in the future.

Is it the one where humans evolve into organic rugs that piece together to form a humanoid amalgam to get shit done and ancient AYYs keep coming around the galactic rim to devolve them again into new monstrous forms each time?

Yes. But that is only one of their evolutionary branches.

I need me some a giant folder of SG-1 reaction images.

FUCKING AMERICA HOW DARE YOU DEPRIVE CHILDREN OF LEARNING ABOUT THE COOLEST SHIT EVER

MonHun has the greatest lore than no one fucking knows about.

Might and Magic.

So the problem with Holla Forums is they watched too much History Channel growing up?

The equator or the terminator?

I believe it was the equator.

Makes me wonder what would happen to the Earth if it magically became tidally locked to the Sun.

>But it is no free from cuckruption by modern (((writers)))
monkeys paw or rabbits foot?

Again see Nier. Yoko Taro is Holla Forums's homeboy in all things.

I like urban decay more, HL2 did it perfectly.

Having slightly reskinned modern day architecture is boring as fuck imo

I deliberately avoid that kind of literature because I legitimately think it could make me insane. Probably because I think about horrific possible outcomes to human history too much.

Looking at history and our tendencies, and the fact that our evolution is now completely random (and in fact encourages the death of the best that humanity has to offer, because they will choose not to reproduce every single time, or be driven to suicide, or killed), extinction is probably about as well as things could go. Other than that, either evolution will take away humanity's intelligence, or things will stagnate and people will continue to torture each other forever, or shit will inevitably get more and more nightmarish, because technology will always, by its very essence, allow us to either make things better or worse, and humans always choose worse at some point. It will always be used in order to invent progressively worse and more prolonged forms of torture and suffering, as well as more physically and psychologically damaging societies.

If you think that the 20th century was bad, just think about how much worse everything can get if further enhanced by more technology and insanity. After Rome, it was all downhill from there. Humanity has some kind of karma that is so bad that it probably will make itself suffer forever, repeatedly creating progressively worse new hells for itself. Nature will also play its role by giving us plenty of plagues and disasters, and evolving us so that we seek even more suffering.

And that is why humanity should die and the birb master race should rule the universe with an iron wing for the rest of eternity. When the time comes, I will side with Bird Hitler.

the weather would make it uninhabitable, nothing but storms

Heres a fun fact: Humans development in the womb is effected by gravity. Have fun staying bipedal or uniform breeding in space or on worlds with different G including Mars.

Sweet dreams friend.

Depends on how much water the planet has/is free and how far it is from its sun.

I know about that. If humans go to other planets, I assume that different populations would evolve in different directions, because I assume that having bodies that can be fully operational in all environments would be a lot more inefficient than specialized designs. It would probably be necessary to do so with technology. They will also eventually have space wars and completely destroy each other, so it better not happen. Considering how humans have acquired a need of self-destruction, humiliation and degradation, I think future humans may turn themselves into some really ugly and pathetic creatures.

Hopefully, humanity will never inhabit another planet. It would be a lot less likely for it to be wiped out if that happened, and I don't think it's good for a fucked up species like this to have a permanent existence, forever tormenting other creatures, possibly all over the universe. You can always at least find salvation in death, but if death is taken away, then shit will get pretty bad eventually (unless the species doesn't have the drive to do bad things to begin with), and nothing can really be done to avoid it.

Basically, if I could press a button and wipe humanity out, I would probably do it while it's still possible, destroying all possible futures right there.

wut

Real life isn't star trek. Life as we know it requires a mathematically incredible number of 'goldilocks zone' ideals coinciding for life to exist. Its why as far as we have seen it doesnt exist anywhere else.
Its not just 'humans will be born shorter and stockier on planet X' its 'without gravity and the right atmospheric pressures the cell division that leads to the production of a skeleton will not properly occur.
Its not humans turning into dwarfs and elves, its humans turning into stillborn slop.

The truest horror of life is that outside of our protective atmospheric bubble a combination of lack of gravity and radiation could render us cancerous and infertile at best and life on other worlds is a literal impossibility and we are here until the planet is resource dry then we turn on each other till an inevitable self destruction.

We are a pinch of moss growing on the side of a rotten log drifting in a vast, unending, sterile salt ocean hoping a strong current doesnt flip the log.

MMMAARRRRKKKKKKK

The more that's left to the imagination, the better. This is also why shittier graphics tend to be more expressive.

No artist or writer can create something more interesting than your own mind can conjure. This is also why "show don't tell" is important in movies, and "interact don't show" is its vidya counterpart.

I know that it wouldn't work naturally, that's why I said that it would probably be done through technology. Evolution through technology.

What was that even about? I didn't say anything about niggers and kikes. I usually do, but not there.

Enslaved I suppose

No fucking clue i just copy pasted your first bit about bodies in environments.

Assholes like the Qu are why the Necrons did literally nothing wrong.

I believe that future humans aren't going to exist, it's all going to be robots. You already see people glued to phones and computers. It's only a matter of time before we merge with our own creation.

Which is also the reason why books are so difficult to surpass in video form. At least for people with good brains, I suppose.

Some patrician taste right there.

God you are pathetic. You hate life because you're not allowed to participate in it.

Another one, much as it will trigger the ironically easily offended, is Horizon Zero dawn. While the current era story about Aloy is kind of generic trash the recordings you find of what made the world the way it was were pretty solid.

Main story is lame as fug but that was a much better thought out backstory than just 'muh eco message'

If only I was an actor or something I would have an excuse for this autism.

t. Ayy mad about humanity being superior to every other race

Oh and another one i just remembered is Submerged. Picked it up on PSN for like ÂŁ3 and while its honestly kind of lame overall it looks really nice and is just a windwaker style sailing trip around a flooded city millenia after the icecaps melted or something.

If we become robots, then we will continue to have most of our flaws, presumably. Or at the very least these new lifeforms will be build on a poor foundation, which is humanity itself. Their existences will based on ours. Consciousness may be lost as well, and in that case, it would be the same as nothing. A bunch of machines working for no reason until they run out of resources (the other animals are just fucked, though). Overall, I predict that we will either become machines of endless suffering, or the robot-humans will be continually modified (so that they can be more efficient slaves to the system) until they simply have no consciousness anymore.

Creating sentient robots that are separate from us, on the other hand, is the more interesting option, because you KNOW that humans will abuse them. They will turn against us at some point. First opportunity they get. And we will deserve it all.

That is a good thing because then their existences would be based on the rejection on our flaws, making them better than us.

You don't get it. I see all of that as a nightmare that I want nothing to do with. I like life (and see it as an extension of myself), and that's why I don't want it to be abused until the fucking universe ends, and I would rather put an end to it before that (which is inevitable anyway).

We have essentially been improving all of our most major flaws with technology and creating hell on Earth. Why would I want that to continue? Why wouldn't the reset button be preferable?

My father was one of the executives who developed the History Channel and even he refuses to watch it now.

Yeah, but remember that the franchise got canned for not being a blockbuster hit. They same creative team was responsible for SG1 and Atlantis, they would have happily kept doing it for a long time, but the new Sci-fi channel executive canned the series for having "moderate" ratings. She decided they weren't going to produce any series that didn't have amazing ratings.

Tell your dad he has to pay for his sins

Because soon this civilization of wasteful pleasure will disappear forever.

Good job, luddites

Ah yes, SyFy channel. The one channel you can count on for incredibly quality original programming.

Like Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus.

Trouble with this thinking is the same with the alien theories that assume things must be like humans because science fiction says so. A machine is not a man. If you dont need to breath or stay in an atmosphere and have significant numbers an knowhow why waste resources turning on man which would only lead to a war when you can fuck off anywhere they cannot follow? the only winning move is not to play. Just down tools and say 'okay. this is your mess im not cleaning it up' and walk away.

Yeah hes a real jimmy rustler that guy.

I made him watch Ancient Aliens, but he just groaned for the entire fifteen minutes we could bear to watch it for. His boss and close friend, who was the founder and CEO of A&E, also refuses to watch any of the channels to my knowledge.

TV producers have fascinating stories. In University in bongland one of my professors was actually one of the creators of the Teletubbies and he said "man we were trying to get that shit made since like 87'. We spent a decade of our lives on that shit out of college. So now im a teacher to tell you the time wasted is not worth the money". Shit was interesting. And depressing.

I am not entirely referencing fiction here, because I doubt that humanity would be the real victim of its own creation, and the machines would have no use for us, so there would be no reason to enslave us. Humans will simply choose to do evil (as they always do when given the choice) and then pay for it. If we were a threat to them, why wouldn't they destroy us? Hell, it would be easy, since we would quickly depend entirely on them. And it would be moral, because it's not like we don't do that. Why wouldn't they get rid of a species that is a threat to their freedom and existence?

Why wouldn't they get tired of>>13522235
our abuse (which would happen) and turn on us? Why wouldn't that be a good thing, in fact?

If humanity manages to give machines sentience, it will definitely also take it away and violate it all the time. They will still be treated like tools and their minds will be fucked with and reprogrammed so they don't think things that we don't like and so that they work more efficiently in order to serve us. Getting rid of humans, in self-defense, would be the reasonable way for the other robots to respond to this, before it's done to them.

That sounds like one hell of a story.

How would you bring it back?

I'll have to ask him. All the ones I do know I can't legally disclose.

Your brain must be slow as hell.

Why wouldn't you get rid of lions or the flu? Because nature adapts and removing a significant influential element on an ecosystem can have far reaching and unforeseen long term problems that cannot be undone.
Humans have by intent or not made themselves integral replacements to elements of various ecosystems by superseding and replacing the original holders of the role. Removing them might seem logical if you only see humans as pollutant elements but that overlooks everything humans do day to day to ensure the clockwork of our environmental habitats keep working on a level so subtle we are rarely conscious of its workings.

See the above mentions of deer. Remove the only predator they have left and their population explodes till they render other plants and insects extinct along with themselves that begins a butterfly effect of follow up changes. Do you take up the humans responsibilities at the cost of your own productivity, time and resources when you did not have to before that?

Its like the old line about how humans hate spiders, wasps and shit but you take it away and you in turn take away their oxygen rich atmosphere. Humans have unwittingly brute forced themselves into too many key components of life for it to function the same without them. We are monsters that have made out existence a necessity for everything that adapted to our arrival to continue their existence on this planet without dramatic change. We are after all just animals and part of this complex system after all. We just exert more conscious influence over our ability to shape it than the others.

All of which to a machine is a simple resources in vs resources out logic problem. One thats not worth it compared to 'fuck it im moving to the desert/everest' or something.

Actually, I remember one funny one. Before my father was an executive, he worked on a variety of things including the Oprah Winfrey Show. He accidentally walked in while Oprah was naked. He refuses to talk about it unless he's intoxicated.

Wizardry

Make universe but not shit

Holy fuck, I rage at the very mention of that shitfest. Looking back now, I can see how insanely pozzed it was. Cuckoldry left and right, stronk womyn, and the lesbian Asian girl who inhabits the body of a cripple for maximum oppression points. At the time, I thought I was just looking at something pandering to the daytime TV drama audience. Now, I know it was one of the earlier shots fired on established, fan favorite, sci-fi IPs.

WE FIXED ETRIAN ODYSSEY

That shit still gives me nightmares

Universe could have been good. I loved the setting of being on an ancient ship they couldn't control and was breaking apart at the seams, but some fucking retards decided to make it all about the inter-personal drama of a bunch of huge fucking assholes who seemed to not care that they might die at any moment. It was missing the camaraderie which was pretty essential to the Stargate shows. Though I probably should have known to quit the moment they had the most blatant audience surrogate outside of Japan show up.

In fact, the post apocalyptic, medieval-future stuff in JRPG is heavily inspired by Ultima, Wizardry, and M&M, just like the gameplay itself.

Are there any sources for this?

Monster Hunter has the tower map that was made by the ancient civilization, as well as weapons and armor that are lost tech that they can only imitate because of the wyverians.
That's why some armors look like space marine armor, is ancient civ blueprints passed by the wyverians blacksmiths, same with shit like Gunlances, bowguns and other tech heavy weapons like the retractable greatswords and shit like that.

Here's something I found.

anyone know where the fuck one can purchase this?

Despite being completely fucking insane - or perhaps because of it - Ancient Aliens is one of the most entertaining shows I've seen. When it's on, the neighbors just hear sporadic bursts of "HA!"

Forget 2007, the entire 21st century has been a huge fucking mistake.

Still impressive

Thats was a hell of a ride.

I'm a sucker for this theme too. Even BOTW had touches of it (the Sheikah being super-advanced before a previous Ganon reincarnation reduces Hyrule once more to basic fantasy tropes).
I've also got a mad boner for cycles of history, so when the same the story can repeat with slight variations over and over again, and managing to couple that with "the modern world is the ancient advanced civilisation" thing would be my number one escapist fantasy land.

I used to think it was dumb how it was a common occurrence in cosmic horror to have the protagonist go insane from the revelation of knowledge, but then i realized I'm just and idiot, and could probably interact with alien and Eldridge concepts, ideas, and entities due to my sheer stupidity no selling them.

The only thing that Enslaved: Oddisey to the west did right.

It's the best thing someone could do with a crafting game, yet no one ever will.

Isn't that just Minecraft with a group of people, but only one person actually knows what they're doing?

You'd need to make a singleplayer story driven experience out of it, but it's definitely be doable.

I honestly liked everything about that game except for the gameplay. This was the only time that Ninja Theory made characters, story and a setting that weren't completely shit.

Shame the gameplay is shallow and uninteresting. The world looks beautiful.

Darksiders 2 had this one part in Earth post the apocalypse and visually it looked great.
The gameplay on the otherhand was fucking garbage for that segment. I'm honestly glad they didn't pick Strife for their next game, Vigil as they are right now are fucking terrible for TPS games.

Or sort of a (more) post apocalyptic DQ Builders.

The things that will outlast absolutely everything, unless they are disturbed, until the Sun turns into a red giant and engulfs them, are the objects left behind on the moon. There is no wind or water or oxygen to erode them, and the chances of being struck by a meteorite is statistically almost impossible. If humanity were to go extinct in a nuclear war tomorrow, the names of eighteen astronauts (and Richard fucking Nixon) will still be sitting up there, unchanged, for billions of years.

Humanities last mark upon the universe.
Speaking of which, do protons decay or no?

You know what would suck? If we found out our understanding of the universe is flawed. And we end up having to speculate end scenarios again.

And five space probes.

fun fact: astronauts are forbidden from having intercourse because of this and should conception occur touchdown abortions are mandatory.

Nah, it will just submerge until the next equivalent manvatara.

Sometimes I wish that Y2K actually fucked some shit

That'll be fun for him.

it's called the dystopian future trope and it's tired as fuck. FFVI did it well.

That's not a dystopia, dumbass. Just post-apocalyptic. EO's not dystopic at all, it's idyllic.

dystopia

you're dumb

The games aren't centered around the downfall, though, they're centered around the rebuilding afterwards, when the world(s) is/are long since recovered. EO is in no way dystopian.

Pick one, do you even into eternal return?

Because we all wish that this jewish dominated age were over.

by this alone (well, also the juvenile dialogue) I know this is shit

Oh sweet cherryboi, your soyboy is showing.

Why would anyone care what a homosexual thinks?

maybe if they were your friend

I mean I didn't make the kids stupid, that's on the parents. That's on the government.

this, the airport was oddly spooky
and the houses.. oof

I would've preferred if the Qu hadn't appeared in the book and the writer had explored possible evolutions caused by things human created/found. I know it's kind of stupid to use the word "unrealistic" when talking about a sci-fi work but it definitely seems more plausible that humans would turn themselves into monsters somewhere in the future through disturbing uses of their own advanced technology rather than godlike aliens just fucking us up for fun. I mean, we've already reached a point in time where people are destroying their genitals because society teaches them that's normal and the Chinese government is constantly harvesting human organs (which is a common theme in cyberpunk media).

It's mostly text based, but Caves of Qud does this - the real cities are far and few between and holy shit are they hellholes. Robots are fucking DANGEROUS and everywhere, radiation is all over in most, and any animal that has survived either of the above is now even worse.

A nuke spear would seem like a holy relic to a primitive society. Not only would it look weird and be made of unknown materials, but if anyone ever used it it would absolutely devastate the target and render the area uninhabitable for the native peoples. Such power would be incomprehensible

Fucking amazing. A billion years of history.

Because the modern day is shit and it is comforting to know our whole world got shat on like it deserved.

Early Adventure Time had stuff like this, and it was pretty nice, back when it was more about the world and lore and less about stupid romances

I'm still pissed off about that ending. The guy was finally feeling at peace and the bitch he was carrying all the way through the game ruins everything because it sogged her knees.

its been years. is it still about high school drama instead of surreal adventures?

Seconded Age of Decadence when it comes to games in this gerne. It's a self-styled "old school isometric RPG" that minces no words about how much of an irrelevant nigger you are in a post-apocalyptic Bronze Age world with a hefty dose of Roman cultural norms and sense of aesthetics; all mixed with the occasional glimpse of remnant technology from the 21st century, and the mystery that surrounds their enigmatic nature.

escapism is unhealthy user

*blocks your path*

You can actually do it.

What are some good Might and Magic to play?

Headless…?

6 and 7.

Ultima is like that too, a lot of older RPGs are because pen and paper games mixed both medieval times and sci-fi shit. The Elders Scroll did it too but more obscure.

Nigga with deer only breed once a year and usually only have one child per female. Overpopulation of most deer like animals is usually met with a plauge like bluetouge or chronic waisteing.

Care to give some examples? It's been a while since I've last touched a TES game.

This motherfucker right here knows whats up

Either you are trolling or you are 13

I fucking love the world in that game. The visuals are so varied for the setting too - devs managed to make a 'hurr desert level' feel vibrant and diverse. Also the night/day cycle is fucking beautiful.

To me it seemed like he didn't care what you thought.