Tfw the Playstation Vita is the last pure dedicated handheld we are ever going to see

Tfw the Playstation Vita is the last pure dedicated handheld we are ever going to see

In the age of tablets a dedicated handheld console is a thing of the past the Vita was the last to release. A wonderful little thing crippled by Sonys $100 65gb memory cards that were too costly for the general consumer.

Already its becoming rare as rocking horseshit to find a none preowned vita and finding one thats not been mistreated and damaged all the moreso.
do you think it has a future as a 'retro' fan thing like the dreamcast? Will it one day be the jailbroken bootleg true indie darling it could be? or has smart phone emulation taken that away as well?

It is the last of squandered potential or a vestigial leftover thats been killed by divergent evolution of devices?

Did you manage to grab one? did you never try one? or are you chasing the dwindling supply of these beauties?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/FxS0P
archive.is/ybW6U
archive.is/WU6jc
archive.is/9HZ2M
archive.is/3TeQB
amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vita
archive.fo/tzAg9
ebay.com/itm/Support-256GB-SD2VITA-PSVSD-MicroSD-Card-Adapter-For-PS-Vita-Henkaku-Enso-3-60-/222649122408?hash=item33d6ebfe68:g:RboAAOSw5ShZv7mD
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The sony handheld brand is dead were it to have ever been alive in the first place

I've got a hacked one. It's a great emulation station, and if hacking became more widespread it could support consoles that the PSP can't.
The Vita was a great idea with really stupid design choices. The memory cards cost way too much, and it's good that the hacking community is making a microSD adapter. The rear touchpad was a neat gimmick for Tearaway, and looked cool in Wipeout 2048's menu, but makes the console harder to hold without a plastic grip.
TxK is great too

there was a leak around E3 about sony's next generation portable, so don't worry just yet OP.

Yeah and it was a tablet with two playstation moves on either side. Sound familiar?

It couldn't be hacked so I couldn't be fucked.

Jiji san pls get off the computer again.

I don't recall.

Nintendo Switch exists

Well get ready for the Sony Flip or some shit. We tablet gayman now.

I'll stick to my Vita like a contrarian faggot with lewd weebshit.

The only thing I'm looking for is a white model 1000, but that's it. Have 2 Vitas, and 2 Vita TVs. It's a shame, but shit's been going downhill for it for ages at this point. Still getting more interesting games than 8th gen.

I considered getting a Vita, but my N3DS is collecting dust, as is my PS4, and my twenty or so older consoles too.

The two things that the Vita lacked to make it GOAT was a) a display out and b) Monster Hunter. I wouldn't haven given two fucks and a fiddle about those proprietary memory cards if it had TV out and MonHan.
Essentially, all it had to do was to be like the PSP but with a second analogue stick and moar grafics. The PSP pioneered all those great features like media playback, internet connectivity, ad-hoc local multiplayer, even internet multiplayer (though one of the players had to have a PS3 for that) in a portable handheld console.
So yeah bottom line is PSP is the best of all time/every time while Vita a SHIT
A SHIT

It needed to use sd cards, have a base flash storage of 16gb and back buttons rather than the stupid touch panel, but monhun and going through with the tv wire on the 1000 series would have been nice too.

Is it worth spending cca $30 on a variation of these scamming crane/cut-the-rubber games? And would I still be forced to buy proprietary memory card?

I mean, there's the PS TV user. Dev units also had a HDMI out port as well, but probably wrong there. Once Coldbird gets online for Adrenaline, MHFU/3rd can be played online for shits and gigs.

literally a crippled and rarer vita.

Those are programmed to fuck you over. The owner can set how often you win. They aren't luck based.

I've read the default "win" value is set to 1in18, but can be set to anything, even 0.

Well, probability is luck, but yeah. The crane's grip strength can be changed

Hate to be a Nintoddler, but the Switch is essentially everything the Vita is but better in literally every way (other than hacking, so far), and it can be a "pure dedicated handheld" if you just don't use it in the dock.
I'm sad to see Sony's handheld line dying, though. There was some good shit, and they were Nintendo's only competition in the handheld space outside of phones and tablets. Corporate domination without competition is always bad for the consumer.

A better way of saying it would be that the chance of winning is dictated by the machine deciding it's your turn to win.
I had a friend who lost a good £5 to that stacker game. The game where you have to press a button at the right time to stack lights over each other. He'd nail everything perfectly, but halfway through the game would lag slightly when registering the button press.

My friend Henkaku said it's not crippled.

They also had a surprisingly good library of games on it
Its really a shame

it's ok user, i'm sad to see nintendo abandon handhelds too.

Yeah, but I can play that right now on my GPD Win.
Probably didn't help that they tried to flood the Vita with "MonHan-likes", the most interesting being SS(D) because it's actually trying to do something different, and because it really makes you feel like a sickass wizard. Kinda sad to see it getting buried with the handheld.
Same goes for Muramasa Rebirth. Vanillaware announced a PS4 port of Dragon's Crown recently, and I really hope they decide to port MR as well.

I never owned a Vita. I haven't owned or used a handheld since the Game Boy Color. I emulate GBA games sometimes, though.

You won't be able to once its battery craps out in a few more months.

I still have mine. purple master race
It's so small now…

Mine was stolen long ago, along with my SNES, PSOne, and original Xbox.
I think it was the yellow one, but I can't remember for sure. My brother had a GBA SP that was sparkling green.

nice
not nice
You lived in a ghetto / near a gypsy village or something? Or just BR?

Can I just take the time to state how monumentally retarded it is to make a system with virtually no physical releases HAVE OVERPRICED UNDERPERFORMING PIECE OF SHIT PROPRIETARY MEMORY.

Stop pretending the switch is a portable, Nintendo. It's not going to work. "Where do you use your switch" poll had a result of like 94% "at home".

Nope. Nice, suburban neighborhood. Never happened before or since. Sometimes you're just the unlucky statistic, I guess.

It's slightly bigger than a Vita and charges from any USB 3C cable, which most modern phones use.

I love handhelds, but the pricing for the Vita has been keeping me off of it since it came out. Despite demand being at an all time low there's no sales on it, no one is selling one second hand and the price just doesn't seem to have gone down at all, especially on the memory cards.

I was planning on waiting another few years and try my luck again but at this point I'm probably just going to buy a switch.

I dropped $300 on a new white model 1000 from slantland as soon as I heard about there being an exploit in 3.60. I'm glad I did it, the second thumbstick makes PSP games a thousand times better, the screen is great, it's a comfortable and meaty handheld, but I will admit I almost didn't do it because you have to drop so much flow for a console with so little support.
Gamestop was selling "refurbished" Vita slims for $120 last I checked, but they are usually all scratched up, dirty as shit or have broken buttons.

Never heard somebody refer to money with that word. Is that you, Gaben?

no games?

I'd really like to see a poll on that for the 3ds or vita. I would put money on over three-quarters of all responses being at home even on a dedicated portable.

Vitas are actually getting rarer not cheaper.

Probably because Sony already slowing down production for the western market. You can still buy JP version, they even have the original OLED version brand new

Rather, that's too much for anyone who is smart with their money. Having money doesn't mean you should waste it. The way you put it makes it look like you're blaming people not being wasteful rather than Sony for massively overpricing.

I'm just glad i got one, even the none OLED one. I found a soccar mom on gumtree cleaning her sons room after he moved out and it was still sealed with akibas trip, world of final fantasy, corpse party blood drive and Muramasa rebirth and a 16gb card. For fucking £20 which is like 35 dollars or something.
And my friend who bought a launch vita, sold it in a week and now madly wanted one cannot find one anywhere thats not scratched as fuck. It sucks mines not the original screen but the smoother shape is the comfiest handheld i've ever used and i've owned everything but a neogeo pocket.

DEDICATED. He SAID DEDICATED YOU TARD.

>Worse-looking library by now (not helped by the whole "western studios now deciding what jap devs should do during development to cater to the (((western audience))) " pushed by NoA/Treehouse/Squeenix )

Backwards compatability wins it for me. Shit like P4G, FFT, Vagrant Story and Grandia on a modern console that plays shit like muramasa as well all in your pocket without having to download an emulator should be the norm.

I forgot to mention also the whole shitty pay4online of the Switch that also needs a smartphone for stuff you can do on the Vita itself (voicechat, party lobby, etc) for free.

Japanese PSN has also a larger choice of old PS1 & PSP games, alongside with PC
Engine stuff. It still misses a few titles however (like Boku no Natsuyasumi 1, for instance, which was on PS1/PSP)

I'm kinda excited to get a 2DS as soon as I get paid desu

nigga find me someone that doesnt enjoy their vita.

Really nigger?

I phoned PlayStation support UK to find out where I could buy one of these new, because as far as I know, there hasn't been any official discontinuation announcement.

Dude told me that shipments of Vita/PS3 to Europe was stopped in May 2016. I managed to find a few new consoles last October bundled with some Lego games and the manufacturing date was May 2016, so it seems legit.

The Vita's been dead for almost a year, lads. If you want a new one, you gotta import from Nippon.

F

webbum unrelated, it is unlikely you are sugoi.

The only remorse a Vita use has is over the lack of support, not over owning one.

Better buy as much physical media for them as you can lads, these things are going to explode in price before long.

Yes who could be behind these faggot posts saying that now the switch is out with a tiny pile of wiiu ports my enormous backlog of vita/psp/ps stuff will now vanish into nonexistence?

F

Rev up those (((collectors))) paying slavs to track down and destroy duplicates so their 'investments' appreciate in value again.

lmao you bitter fags go play your Vita over it

The Vita is a good console held back by Sony. It could have been much more if not for their retarded decisions, but it's far from a bad choice.
Nothing wrong with the 3DS line either. The Picross is fucking great.

Soyboy pls i'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics right now.

Why do you want a white model 1000, user?
because I have one

the Vita is popular for being a pirate machine. the Saturn was NOTORIOUSLY hard to crack, for years. certain gold ring Saturn games have yet to be cracked to this day iirc.

it's definitely another Dreamcast if anything

The Limited Run Games Vita releases sell like fucking hotcakes, and some of the rarer weebshit physicals I have are worth their original RRP even used.

Good luck finding the cracking software in ten years, let alone working memory cards.

Agreed on most points, but your first point is backwards. PS Vita is an ARM A9 4-core at 300 MHz, while the Switch is 8-core (4 ARM A57 and 4 ARM A53 cores) at 384 Mhz off the dock and 900 Mhz on. "not a dedicated handheld" is a retarded argument, because it essentially is one that you can optionally connect to your television. Having the option available doesn't make the system not a handheld.
"Retro compatibility" for the vita is limited to whatever is on the PS Store. You can't use PSP or PS1 physical games, obviously.
The library on the Switch isn't too shabby at the moment, and it just got 18 new games last week.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but in most ways, the Switch is better than the Vita. You got me on battery life and data management, though, but hopefully the latter will be fixed with new updates (I always get aftermarket batteries for my handhelds if I can, but it usually takes a few years before a good one comes out).
One thing that beats the shit out of the Vita is the memory card though. A 64 GB Vita memory card costs $90. A 200 GB Micro SD card costs $75. I don't know what the fuck Sony was thinking or how they fucked up this hard when everybody already hated it the first time they did it on the PSP.

I understand 18 years old means born in 1999 but come on boy.

that makes it a bad product

my wife came home late one night and said it was because her boss invited her over to show her his Vita games

fuck off retard. the Saturn was popular because manufacture in the US was scarce. it was a genuine collector's item, unlike the Vita, which is price inflated by retards even though it hasnogames

fixed. the Saturn wasn't actually popular in the US, at all, which is a huge reason for its limited manufacture and a valid reason for it being a holy grail for a lot of people. the Vita is a powerhouse and an achievement for portable gaming hardware-wise but what the fuck do I care about that if there's nothing I actually want to play on it, that I couldn't just as easily play on something else. like a PS3 that sells for like $60 nowadays.

If anyone is interested in getting a hackable vita, you should aquire the Borderlands Bundle pack. While it means supporting Randy with purchasing a vita with Borderlands these bundles were mass produced and the installed firmware on the handhelds is very old which means you can go to 3.60 and install the custom henkaku firmware on it.

While i did not like supporting Randy with this bundle, getting a hackable vita outweighed the cons.

D E A D C O N S O L E
E
A
D
C
O
N
S
O
L
E

You could at least check to see if you're right. The Vita 2000 model can play PS1 and PSP games for more than 12 hours at 50% brightness and Vita games above 6 hours at 75% brightness. Each tested while constantly downloading multiple games.
archive.is/FxS0P
archive.is/ybW6U

Meanwhile the Switch can range from 2.5 to 6 hours of battery life. In the link they said they only got 2.5 hours out of Zelda.
archive.is/WU6jc

As for PPI, the Switch has a larger one at 236 while the Vita is at 220. Better, but by a very small amount.
Switch archive.is/9HZ2M
Vita archive.is/3TeQB

The Switch obviously has a larger storing capacity because it doesn't have its own overpriced memory cards. However, as a handheld, the Vita is clearly superior. Vita games aren't nearly as big as Switch games and you can fit dozens of Vita games on 1 memory card. This is not counting the fact that the carts themselves are very portable too. There's also the fact that the english library of the Vita alone eclipses the Switch's. Many more games and genres to play with. The Switch barely has any fighting games, shoot em ups, or rhythm games unlike the Vita. The Switch is just a hybrid console and isn't a replacement to handhelds. Handhelds should have better battery life for the most part. Not to mention that you don't need to pay for online as well as being able to back games up.

You might be better off importing or getting one from Ebay. Japan usually does a good job on keeping things in good condition when it comes to used products.
amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vita

I never said it was bad.
It could have been better if the rear touchpad was reconsidered, or if they used proper memory cards, but aside from those points it's about as good as the 3DS line. The buttons are tactile and feel great. The library is full of obscure but good games, and the cartridges are small enough that you can easily pack a lot at once.

I've gone out with my Switch before. A friend and I had to go to a nearby town by train, and I figured I might as well reenact something out of a Switch commercial. It was fun, but if I was going alone I'd probably just pack my n3DS or Vita
Meanwhile the n3DS and Vita are small, last forever and have plenty of games worth playing. Their only downsides are the nonstandard charging port, but USB->3DS/Vita adapters exist.
The Switch works as a portable for long distances. If you're going on a trip and want something to pass the time, it does the job. If you want something you can drop in your pocket and forget about until you have time to kill, the others are better.

I heard it in an episode of the comedy short "Professor Brothers" by Brad Neely on youtube. The episode was titled "Flyff Night".

Actually it may have been the one titled "Late Date". Both are pretty good.

The fuck, I just picked mine up today and thought the same thing, especially about the screen.

Can't you see, user?
we literally grew out of our old games

TODAY I WILL REMIND THEM
it filled your hand but its 2x2cm big

Most of those have already been covered in another post. The battery life is worse, no contest. I'd argue that you're better off with a USB portable charger, but you could do the same with the Vita. Paid online is also fucking terrible, but at least it'll probably be really cheap at $20 per year.
Switch has a far better resolution (0.92 MPixels at 1280x720 vs Vita's 0.52 MPixels at 960x544) which more than makes up for a slightly lower pixel density. I prefer the larger screen as well.

Some of my switch games are smaller than 100MB. Out of the 15 games I have, they average to about 700MB a piece. I have a 200GB SD card that cost me $75, compared to the 64 GB Vita ones that cost $90, so I can store at least 100 games pretty easily on one card. By the time I fill it up, bigger Micro SD cards will probably be out for the same price, so I can upgrade and use my 200GB one for something else. PS Vita's carts are almost the exact same size as Switch ones.
Looking at this list: archive.fo/tzAg9
It looks like Vita games are roughly the same sizes as Switch ones. Taking every game in that page, they average to 1.28 GB per game.

Well no shit, the Vita's been out for 6 years. The Switch is actually getting a lot of games pretty quickly now, but it's still really early to judge. I remember the Vita's library being absolutely shit in the first year too, and mostly comprised of ports and multiplats.

It's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison. Honestly, the only thing that's kept me from buying a Vita this far is the dogshit memory sticks. I'd love to get one for emulation and homebrew, but I'd barely even be able to put all my GameBoy, N64, Genesis, SNES, and PSX roms on a single $90 stick, not to mention all my PSP ISOs. A Vita with an SD card slot would be nearly perfect. I only hope the Switch gets reliably hacked earlier on in its life than the 3DS did. Maybe Sony will eventually release a badass successor and pull their heads out of their asses and use a standard storage expansion format like fucking everybody else. The Vita is very cool hardware and it feels like the only reason it didn't absolutely dominate is Sony fucking it up themselves.

The Vita hacking community are working on a thing called Vita2SD. It's a MicroSD card adapter that goes in the game card slot. You'll still need the Vita memory card currently, but people are working on a way around that. The adapters are still in early production, but a few Chinese companies have some to sell for cheap.

Its already out user, development is basically finished, just needs to be able to hold either multiple SD cards or bigger SD cards.

ebay.com/itm/Support-256GB-SD2VITA-PSVSD-MicroSD-Card-Adapter-For-PS-Vita-Henkaku-Enso-3-60-/222649122408?hash=item33d6ebfe68:g:RboAAOSw5ShZv7mD

A design that started 37 years ago is finally dying in the name of android tablets and memegames.

but where do I buy one with the firmware I need to be able to hack it?

Sony shot themselves in the foot with those memory cards. What we're saying right now is exactly what happened to the PSP. Piracy didn't kill it in the west. It was the lack of western support. Then they constantly make tons of games digital only while having expensive memory cards. No first party support either. Even worse? Sony may not make another handheld despite Nintendo not having a dedicated handheld.

Amazon.co.jp and ebay are fine. I heard new JP Vitas 2000s (which are all region free) may come with a firmware 3.60 or above. But I would check to make sure.

addendum: used addition money i would have used on vita card to also buy EOV

Piracy is the only reason the PSP did so much better than the Vita ever could have DREAMED of doing.

cheers user, here's a funny pic

feeling awfully gamer right now

oh boy its another pirates are actually the good guys supporting the industry post

EU pls go

here's a (you) free of charge

no wait you forgot pirates totally saved the PSP and sank the vita, it wasn't that sony dropped the vita 2 years after it came out and stopped promoting or doing fuck all for the system shortly after it came out.

totally pirates that saved the PSP guys, look at all the systems they sold which sony made at a loss and all the games they didn't buy. Totally saved the PSP!

stop being retarded you insipid faggots, you don't matter.

I don't know why Sony doesn't see that having insanely expensive memory cards compared to a regular micro SD or even an SD card wasn't a small factor in people being turned off by the device.

For the same reason nintendo does shit like make their online tied through a smartphone because they are terrified of liability that might occur from child predators using their hardware: a sense of control devoid of logic. Every hardware producer does it.

Why did you have to remind that it got picked up by Sekai?

Remember to filter shitposters and move on.

They most likely did and didn't care. They deemed it dead and probably thought leaving it as it is would get them some small cash on the side.

The way these machines work is that if you hit things 'right', as in you are in the 'gonna probably cut the cord/fit the key/stack up the block' zone, the game will nudge the mechanism or light aside, making you lose.

The key is to notice how frequently a machine gives out a major prize. In a game center I used to go to (they're gone now) it was about a month/5 weeks for the major prizes in the 'Drop the Hook' machine.
So I'd go around when the time was getting close and try twice max. With DtH it's really obvious when the machine 'jumps' on you, with others not so much (Barber cut for example you need to be way more perceptive).
If I noticed the game did not jump on me when I hit it 'right', or the game gave me a random Error 8 (shaked the machine) when I clearly didn't shake it and appeared that I hit it 'right', then I went for the win. 3~6 tries later, bam prize.

I got out of DtH: A mid-range HP 15 inch laptop (sold it), 5 PS4s (kept one, sold the rest) and a Vita.
Fun times. I need to find out where that Drop the Hook machine went…

I got mine a few years ago at GameStop for like $130. They even threw in a 4GB memory card since they couldn't get them to sell. Works like a champ, and has pretty much become my go-to portable console since now it can do everything the PSP can do and more. Memory cards aren't an issue anymore either. Just install Enzo and buy an SD2Vita. You won't be able to use game carts in it anymore, since the adapter goes in the game slot - but you can make perfect dumps now, so just dump them and put them on your SD card.

Just make sure you get one that's on Firmware 3.60 or below. Otherwise you're fucked.

The Vita kinda got fucked when there was only the monster hunter MMO not a stand-alone game. But there where a handful of MH clones, it was a good 7 years lads.
The Vita was unadulterated fun and good with having quality vidya.

Now I'm looking at the Switch will it be good or is Holla Forums just hyping it up because it's Nintendo.

Nigger you been living under a rock? Holla Forums bashes it every chance they get.

They will but it will be marketed primarily to Japan.

What really bugs me is PSP Emu is jacked up so if you turn of the system it doesn't boot for me. As much as people bash Reddit it's the best place available to get games and learn the inside and out.

Until Nintendo triggers feminists by bringing back the Gameboy brand name

It must be wrong Holla Forums then. But one of them is always switch this and switch that. I'm tired sure they've got one game and 2 that seems interesting this year and one in 2018.
But the Switch ain't as cool as my psp.

So… a Nintendo Switch

:^)

Alright fags, do we know WHICH bundles actually come with 3.60?
Genuinely curious, cause this would be valuable info.

Sony gave the PS Vita the Spartan baby treatment but no geams instead of wine.

Didn't the guy that announced no plans for a Sony handheld resign from being CEO just recently? I ain't giving up hope on Sony making a handheld successor. Honestly, do they really want to bet all with that PS4 VR gimmick?

They are probably giving up on handhelds in favor for mobile gaming because of the self-fulfilling prophecy of the downfall of handheld despite the 3DS doing well enough.

The problem is that the 3.60 systems are the ones that let you bypass all the stupid shit like the proprietary SD cards, but the new ones are 3.61 or later, and there is no way to go back.

Western manufacture of the systems is dead, not slowing. Some games are still being localized, and that's it.

Only to a worthwhile degree if hacked, especially if you're not in Nipland. That's at least one thing I'll give the Switch credit for: Making it easy to use different region stores.

You can apparently put up to 256GB in them. That's plenty, I went for 200GB. You can also do multiple SD cards with some minor annoyances, if it's that important to have an entire game library with you at all times. Be choosier.

Don't all Western ones or are there exceptions now?

Fuck the 3DS for holding a great game library prisoner in terrible resolution. All these years I had to put up with that shit. Glad it's not repeating.

Whenever I hear shit like this, I'm reminded of the Cancer that 7th gen has brought.

Are there any recent handhelds worth purchasing?

if that's how you honestly feel you would not game on anything but PC

3DS and Vita are both flexible and solid options if hacked. Choose based on what you want to play: GBA/DS/3DS, or PSP/PSV, with some PS1.

Walled gardens are not a good thing, you are a faggot. The best option for you would be open source everything so you aren't limited to one platform.

I still don't understand why Sony just abandoned it so soon after release. Hurr durr smartphones is a dumb reason when the 3DS exists. Losing Munster Hunter was the obvious deathblow, but instead of doing its own thing it was relegated as a remote PS4 screen almost exclusively. What a shame. I like the Japanese titles on it, and select indie ports work great on it.

I think you mean DS/3DS, the Vita has access to the GBA as well since it can get retroarch if it is hacked.

Vita is legitimately my favorite console this gen. Tons of nip games, a good amount are fairly good. I won't be getting a PS4 or an XBone without a few great game reasons that aren't coming to PC too, unless I can get one for a reasonable price.

I give edge to 3DS on that front because it's partly hardware-backed and I've seen occasional framerate dips with some GBA games on Vita, but sure.

Not gonna miss handheld to be frank.

I always prefer playing on big screen.

Best tan.

Because Sony is used to idiots buying their consoles before anything is released.

That is what PCs are for. Or port them later. I don't play FPS but even I think aiming with sticks is garbage tier. Things a lot better when console games were console games and PC games were PC games. Like hell I want another Ubishit open-world multiplat bug-ridden garbage.

Not the same user, but I can deal with playing on the Nintendo DS Lite, as fonts (especially for japanese characters) are more adequate for the screens. Some PSP games have a jap font issue with characters being hard to read at times, but the visuals are still great overall.

The 3DS really take the cake in shoving terrible visuals & fonts caused by the screen pixellation, but that's pretty much my own experience with the XL model. Could have been better with the regular model/2DS but i dont feel like buying a new one for a library that had like 10 games which retained my attention

The library in jap psn is still huge. The question is that are you willing to spend 1500-3067円 (average price) on a PSP title and 617円 on a PS1 title ?

Handhelds are one of the few ways of justifying middle budget games in this shitty Hollywood style industry.

The borderlands bundle, your guaranteed (providing its new) to be years out of date if you can find a sealed box bundle.

Also leads and bounds have been made homebrew wise, not only is that new SD card adapter finally out for sale, new methods to isntall games to your system are out, and work is going on to get 3.61+ games working on it.

Where are you hearing this?

The regular 3DS has a slightly higher resolution screen than the DS so it defaults to blurry upscaling. You can disable it by holding a button while booting a DS game, L or R if I remember, but that obviously has letterboxing.

Also the best PSP library is through Adrenaline, not any copyright-limited online store, and especially if you have to import PSN cards to buy from a foreign PSN and jump through hoops to use multiple PSN accounts. There's too many caveats with their so-called region-free system.

Why should there be a difference? They're just computers in the end. It is at least possible to play an FPS with a controller even if it sucks. I'd rather game availability be limited by a system's power not because of lock-in garbage.

I'll argue a hacked PSP is the best (and cheaper) option to enjoy the PSP/PS1 library, but I dont see the issue either with getting a couple of psp/ps1 games from the jap psn store if you're just interested in particular titles and want them in a single handheld alongside with your vita games

Yeah obviously Adrealine is a better option but my issue with it is that you're stuck to 3.60 which also mean no possibility to play the more recent games/VNs (like Touhou Fushigi TOD Reloaded and other 2hu titles, Rabbit x Labyrinth, Rabbit Ninja Super Robot Wars 5, Shiin, Shin Yomawari, etc)

Assuming the thing really gets cracked open, and not be stuck on a particular firmware like it's the case for the PS3, that would be great too. But I'm not holding my breath on it either.

An original PSP is however less powerful so it's not as flexible for other emulation. PSTVs are pretty damn cheap too although not portable.
I literally just ranted about the issues of using a foreign PSN or multiple PSN accounts, and that you are still limited by what they want to sell to you (a second time if you were a former PSP owner).
Hacks are, frankly, the only way to go with Vita. Bugger the few inaccessible games and PSN when you can use regular SD cards, pirate games and run homebrew and play basically any PSP game and more PS1 titles than were intended. I am obviously hopeful that they'll figure something out for current firmware though.

Most FPSs released nowadays are made with consoles in mind. It isn't limited to FPS. Let's take Skyrim for example. The game is shitty enough on PC; but looking at the shit UI, you can tell that it made for consoles in mind.

No one is actually competing. We are in a weird Coke vs Pepsi market and water I guess. Sony was adverting Destiny as if it was a system seller.

PEOPLE SAID THAT DESTINY WAS AN EXCUSE TO BUY A PS4.

Next you are going to tell me the free market means people would buy good games instead gravitating to shit.

I think we're arguing different things. I'm saying not to limit where a game can be ported or who can fix it (make it open source). Not about which system(s) to design a particular game around (as if game design is even a thing these days, it's a fucking cargo cult).

I don't know if it was a shitpost or not but some user said that he mounded the Switch screen over his bedpost so that he can just lay down in bed, look up and play the game like that. The reason I think it might be real is cause I know most of you are fat lazy neet pieces of shit that eat in bed all day while fapping to cartoons of 12 year olds.

t. vita owner

What some here don't get is that these some of these sites are not 100% cancer and you should just use what you want and go about your day. Some artists post their works on tumblr and twitter first (or only) and maybe Pixiv so it's not so bad to have an account. Tumblr also has some some nice art and music posted on it.

Which is why handhelds usually have a ton of games that can be hit or miss with their mechanics and design. Most JP devs won't put their dungeon crawlers on PC and instead aim for handhelds.

PC/console and handheld are completely different market. Peoples want games on vita/3ds for portability, PC games are for performance. Why are you even arguing about this?

The 3g option and the back touchscreen were awful. It should have been given a 5ghz wifi option, l2 and r2 shoulder pads and lost the back touch screen. It's too clumsy and awkward to use while holding the vita. I would have used the trigger grips as inspiration. It was an awesome add-on for the vita. The Vita really needed a better wifi adapter.

The only way I can see Sony making another handheld is after the rest of their businesses shut down. That means that sony pictures needs to shut down.

I want Radiohead to draw Vita-tan.

720p should be the bare minimum for any handheld released after 2010. No excuses. Nintendo chased the 3D gimmick instead of putting any proper effort into resolution, and we ended up with the 3DS.

I want to see that but without the scat.

Fuck you, he tried his best to overcome his stutter and he did it like a champ, learn from him instead of hating.

the vita would have outsold the psp if it werenĺ for those fucking memory cards.

skibby dibby dip bum buddum bump

The Vita failed because of the memory cards and because the faggots in NA couldn't get their 3DSes outta their asses for a second to figure out what a good handheld the Vita was.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Vita is one of my favorite handhelds ever, and I think Sony is the Great Satan.

This thread is as dead as the Vita.

seems fitting tbh

Same with the vita thread.

I kind of want a new Vita. Wonder what version firmwares the ones in Asia ship with?

Nobody is posting porn. that's why.

It's not even functional. Get out.

Are you military? Eitherway, I've seen videos of people stress testing the switch and apparently it can survive a lot of shit. I don't think it's worth buying because of shit games, but I wouldn't claim that it's poor build quality.

shit games and pay to play online and treehouse.

I'm still surprised just how well the Switch is doing despite it's lack of games. It really shows how having one good exclusive can be a system seller.

It also helps that Nintendo better supported the Switch in 5 months then Sony supported Vita over 5 fucking years.

I think that when the Vita didn't immediately sell millions overnight Sony quickly declared it a failure despite it's easily remedied flaws and diverted resources elsewhere. It's frustrating because the Vita could've and should've done so much better, but here we are. Sony has a long and grand history of pioneering good products and letting them wither and die - Xperia, MiniDisc, MP3 Walkman, eReaders.

You can't even buy the proprietary USB power cable for the OG Vita anymore.

Wont there be a new DS?

Because as a shameful flaming Vita fanboy, I can attest that once you get one, you're not selling it ever.

This only goes for the OLED model, the cheapo revision with piss screen you can basically throw in the trash right after opening the package.

"Nintendo" and "handheld" is all nips need to hear before buying up 110% of stock.

Though I guarantee that if Sony produced a dedicated veeter successor, they'd still get a nice little chunk of the market, just like they currently have.

Vita is my device of all times, but it looks like the Switch (potentially a non-prototype revision) will be a halfway acceptable successor with an infinitely worse screen.

Is OLED the thinking man screen?

The Slim's screen isn't as awful as people make it out to be - on its own it's a perfectly fine screen, just not as outstanding as the OLED. It also makes up for it with its superior ergonomics and battery life.

The UI also feels faster - installing/deleting bubbles complete much quicker on the Slim. I assume the internal flash chip is faster, but I honestly don't know why.

The Switch screen shocked me when I saw it. A plastic TN screen in the current year? Fucking hell. Even the Vita Slim is IPS with a glass cover.

In the end, both Vitas are decent choices. I use my OLED at home and my Slim when I'm out and about.

And what is that good exclusive
Mario and fucking Rabbids?
Because BotW is on the Wii U and everything I heard is that Splatoon 2 is worse than 1

The switch is not a "handheld".

There's quite a bit more than a few. The near-perfect BC with PSP and loads of emulators more than make up for it though.

I'm fairly sure most of those videos are fake. People have been throwing Nintendo systems out of the windows of buildings for years now, after Nintendo somehow got the reputation for having durable systems - which itself was probably a guerilla marketing scheme to try to make the 64's shit cartridges seem like a better deal than the flimsy moving components of the Playstation's CD based system.

I never found their systems to be better or worse than the competition in durability. Almost nobody I knew with an NES could actually play games on the thing without going through this ritual of blowing on the cartridge, popping the cartridge in and out, hitting reset some arbitrary number of times - etc. My original GameBoy's screen died three years into having it. My fat DS's L-bumper took a shit. Etc.

I don't get the "Switch isn't a handheld" meme
You can hold it in your hand, and take it places.
Is this not the very definition of handheld?

cargo pants detected

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Jack of all trades, master of none"? Well, the Switch is that but it fucks up being a Jack too. It's not powerful enough to run a lot of console games without a lot of compromises, even in docked mode and despite lowering the resolution for handheld mode you're still lucky if you manage three hours on the thing. In short, it's a shitty console with the gimmick that you can take it with you but not really because the battery is shit.

THEY'RE ONTO ME

Vita production should have ended completely last year user, here in australia a few shops still sell sealed consoles and bundles.

Try lugging around a Switch for a day. Then try carrying a PSP Go or n3DS (non XL)
The Switch is portable but it's not "Drop it in your pocket and forget about it until needed" portable. The Vita and 3DS XL series already push the limit, and while the Switch itself is about the same size you need to carry the Joycons too.

Precisely this. The Switch is a nice gaming tablet for use around the house, but carrying the thing around and using it when on the go is far too cumbersome.

Does everyone on here wear skinny jeans or some shit? you just have to take off the controllers on the thing and it easily fits inside your pocket.

Well, congratulations! You got yourself caught.

Nice try, cargo pants.

Playing Malicious Rebirth at the moment. I keep forgetting that Vita can easily do PS3 visuals. This game is pretty much Mega man 1 meets God of War

Hahahaha exactly what stopped me. I've hacked my ps2, ps3, wii, wii u and 3DS yet i played them for a month after and never bothered to touch them again. It's the feeling after you successfully hack it and start downloading all those paid games for free, feels so good.

Micro USB is not to be sneezed at, and their screens are nice enough, even if they aren't on par with the first generation. Plus, getting a decent first-gen machine at a hackable version is harder and more expensive, especially for the 3G models and their SD card adapter thing.

Even for cargo pants the Vita is pushing it. Switch is just not designed as a pocket system.

If you aren't buying the systems because you want to play the games on them you're doing it wrong.

Isn't the first-gen Vita cable just a PSP one?

That's why 2D love is always welcome.

3DS is better but both are shit.

I have 2 big pockets on most of my clothes. The Switch fills one, and the joycons partially fill another. That barely gives me space for my wallet and phone in the other pocket. For comparison the PSP Go is smaller than your average smartphone.
The Switch is very portable if you're already carrying a messenger bag or something.

>Less games. Mainly used for Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey with a few gems here and there like Rhythm Heaven Plus, 7th Dragon and Rune Factory 4 5 never ever

This is no contest. Hardware wise, the Vita is objectively better. Software wise, the 3ds lives off of Monster Hunter while the Vita has a ton of different IPs to choose from. There's a reason why it has such a strong install base while the 3ds doesnt. Hell the only 3ds threads we have here is only about MH, Etrian, and Oasis when it first came out. At least the 3Ds actually uses SD cards which is something it definitely has over the Vita.