Help fixing fat PS2

I got a chipped fat PS2 that can't read some disks. The modchip only has the marking "HN6" but judging by the wiring it seems to be a clone of a chip called Magic 3.1.

The laser assembly had some mechanical problems that I think I took care of and it now can load some disks in some cases: So far I have been able to make it load some original PS1 games and a CD-based PS2 game (Half-Life). Some other original PS1 games load erratically. I think the chip is malfunctioning becase when I keep the power button pressed for a few seconds (which would disable a magic modchip) I can reliably boot those PS1 originals. I haven't been able to boot backup games nor DVD-based games neither originals nor backups.

I'm thinking of either desoldering the modchip and then trying the aligment screws and laser pots or reflowing the modchip solder points and then do the same adjustments.

What would be the better option?

Make sure your mod chip was installed properly. It sounds like it's causing the problem. make yours look pretty.

Honestly some modders do a joke of a job. You might wanna inspect that. Take some pictures if you want, maybe I can help diagnose it.

(checked)
muh dick

come get some

Why bother chipping a PS2 when you can just pop a hard drive in it and install ISOs from your desktop? My PS2 freaks out when I try to play CDROM games, so I just download copies of those from The ISO Zone.

OPL doesn't have full compatibility, some games like klonoa 2 have serious issues (if you wanna find out which, make sure your volume is low), and the best way to do it is to have both. disc and hdd loading.

>>>Holla Forums

Right, right, forgot about that, since I have yet to run into any problems with OPL myself, though HDloader fucks off with some frequency. I suppose now is a good time to stock up on replacement laser assemblies, since even dead 3DO systems and replacement part prices are shooting through the fucking roof for some reason.

I bought it because it was cheap (~$3) and had a network adapter. I didn't know it had a modchip. The wiring in mine doesn't look as nice as in that picture.

My workhorse PS2 already has a hard drive and OPL. There're a few games that don't work with OPL or have audio issues. I also want to use it for PS1 games with component output.

Yeah, I just found that OPL hates Transformers, while HDL loves it.

OP here.
After much fiddling with the gears and pots the PS2 now loads PS1 originals, PS2 originals both CD-based and DVD-based and DVD movies. It also loads PS1 backups but it's hit-and-miss whether FMVs will have audio glitches and skip. Still no lUck loading DVD backups :(

I just bought a fat ps2 today that can't read my memory card in slot A for some reason. Anyone know how to fix this?

checked
It has autism.

with back ups, try burning the games at a very slow speed or a different drive (I've had more like with ancient dvdrw's or usb optical drives than my internal one). Also get decent media like verbatims from bestbuy or something.

what also helps is to patch the ISOs as well as NOT VERIFY the ISO that just got burned, for some reason doing a verification check breaks the ISO.

The PS1 backups work fine. I tested them in a modded PS1. The DVD backups worked fine with a friend's modded slim PS2 a few months back but who knows if they still work.

You probably fucked up the wiring while trying to fix the laser assembly. You have a fat PS2, buy a fucking IDE and slap that shit in.

Yep you fucked up the wiring.

The wiring was already bad with two loose wires when I got it. I soldered them back into their place. Would it be a good idea to remove and re-solder the rest of the wires?

Your problem is not in anything soldered, its the golden connector/wires that run from the laser. Even a slight bend can fuck them up. Had it happen to me on a few PS2s of mine.

ribbon cables were a fucking mistake

The ribbon cable is not bent at all. It seems like it has been scratching against the plastic frame as it moves back and forth. Would that cause problems?

How loud is the noise and is it touching the discs?

It doesn't make noise and doesn't touch the discs. I touches a part of the plastic frame of the laser assembly.

Some of the older versions of OPL had issues with it(crashing when a shield is shot) but the latest version of OPL runs it fine. The only problem I have with it is that some of the screen transitions cause the video signal to drop for a split second. Other than that it works great.