/Total War/

whats the best game in the series? and why is it shogun 2?

also, how do you git gud master the battles in this game?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-a-w.blogspot.cl/2009/11/why-everyone-hates-you-in-medieval-2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw&list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ
totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-announce-blog
honga.net/totalwar/
totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires-with-ian-roxburgh
reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/73t5dg/full_list_of_provinces_of_the_mortals_empire/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780572352
honga.net/totalwar/attila/?l=en&v=attila
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Warhammer 2 is best so far.

And I played this shit since shogun 1.

fantasy though

btw, webm are just some shit replay footage from my game

I suck at these games. Any tips on how to get gud? Is it all about knowing which units to use to counter which units?

that is one thing, but its really a hard game to master though, because it tries to mimic real warfare pretty closely

one of the first things to notice, is the controls and how to get comfortable with them
I for one still have to constantly pause the action to check if got eye on everything
on the other hand I'm getting pretty familiar on understand how each command actually performs and reflects on their actions

>playing Total War Arena
Why can't Wargayming make a good videogame?

That's a funny way to spell Medieval 1
That said, Attila isn't actually half bad

Anyone have a torrent of Shogun 2? I've been wanting to play it for a couple years now.

Gotchu covered.

i am the only one who noticed this?

every time i bitched about the diplomacy in medival 2 i got responses like git gud.

Warhammer is shit as a total war game. It might be true to the lore to have damage sponge heroes that mulch up regiments, but it still looks cheesy.

weeb detected

For straight up open land battles, archers dominate everything. Get some high accuracy archers and the other side just melts.

For sieges, if your archers don't outnumber theirs and they bring like 3 stacks against you, pull your guys away from the walls and their ranged and let them climb the wall before engaging them in melee. Wall climbing in itself is a morale hit so they will reach the top with 2/3s or less morale.

Ignore the sea, ships are too costly and never pull their weight unless you manage to capture the black ship. (unless you are a christian faction, then spam those sea hogs out and rule from your OP as fuck ships.)

For agents, monks/priests are great at causing rebellions, you can turn the entire map of japan grey with just 5 monks and a heavy economy.

Don't discount ashigaru units, they can straight up beat a samurai army if you have an army of high morale ones. (great with oda )

For defense, 3-5 units of katana samurai will be enough to defend most settlements from a stack or two, depending on their unit layout.

When I play on legendary, you really only need 1 or 2 towns to make units, the rest just push into a high economy build. Once you hit 6 or more cities be prepared for even your best allies to stab you in the back. Best to just kill everyone so you don't have a stack landing on your shore in the middle of your economy cities.

These tips are for the base game, fall of the sam has different tactics.

i got a more accurate experience whit M&B Warband, that includes commanding units.

Depends on the game, but generally for all games try to confront the enemy fomr the front whit spearmen and flank whit heavy infantry, heavy cavalry and /or skirmishers (light infantry) form the sides or their rear, about atacking indiviual units, spearmen are good aganist all kinds of cavarly and holding under ranged fire (if they have shields), heavy infantry are good aganist spearmen (they are not a direct counter, but they can hold aganist them), light and archer cavalry is good aganist archers, harassing heavy cavalry (not frontal atacks) and for killing retreating enemies, heavy cavalry superior aganist everything but it's better to be used to flank to avoid losses.

the following 3 webm are from a very decisive battle, more or less equal strength main forces between the war
if anyone actually has the patience to watch, feel free to describe how I'm shit at it

fucking chink

M&B is pretty fucking cool as well, but much more focused on scale on a way, they're different games

so yeah, what I would like see is some kind of crossover of total war, civilization, and perhaps some CK2
pretty much the micro and macro scales merged together in a long running game of grand strategy that isn't only about war

Friendly fire was a bit much and you may have left your cavalry engaged a bit long (but the AI is horrible about this so nbd). Otherwise not to shabby.

Does anyone play MP/coop on shogun 2 anymore? considering a reinstall.

i used to but around the 100th time i got some russian using light cav spam i figured out the balance for the game is heavily weighted towards cavalry charges and the only way i win is by perching elite spearmen on a hill and waiting 2 fucking hours for a draw or the cheesing bitch to come lose. online in shogun 2 is a gay as fuck cheese fest

It's definitely the best Warscape game I've played so far. But Rome 1 and Medieval 2 are still better.

Watch some LegendofTotalWar if you want to learn to play these games at maximum efficiency.

fuck those jews, If they don't fix the dwarf faction I'm not buying their fucking third game.

figures. i only ever played with people i know so didn't run into that shit.

Shogun 1 = Medieval 1 = Rome 1 = Medieval 2 >
Napoleon = Shogun 2 >
Empire >
Rome 2 = Attila = WaWa = WaWa 2

yeah, you gonna show them
seriously though, I've heard from a hardcore fan of the series, that they basically know the game is unbalanced and rather keep making it fun rather than sportsy

By not giving them my money. Fuck them, even if it's only one sale. It's one sale less they will have by not giving their game a thought and balance and sucking elven cock.

Thanks fam.

もう読んだよ。

Hmm. I'll have to try out flanking some more, I was always concerned about my troops getting too tired going around their forces, but cavalry makes sense.

I knew there would be an autist out there with my back. Thanks, user.

another big battle, literally was stuck constantly loosing this shit
was right after landed troops on coast and the enemy had it major force right next to it
I have the numbers but he has only samurai

p3
loosing on the left flank while winning on the right side, meanwhile have calvary chase down on archers and flank
moving up remaining units up the hill for defensive position

p2
fucking 8ch glitched out and didn't post it
anyway, the AI always seem to try flank with calvary, but does that even its only its generals, which seems like a dumb move

meanwhile, matchlock infantry firing on the front lines, so any hint to effectively use these? maybe making them fire only on order and quickly running them back afterwards?

Shogun 2 is atmospheric, but the combat is warscape engine at the worst I've played. Units disintegrate in seconds, archers all have pinpoint accuracy and the sieges all feature castles with walls the enemy can walk right up, and worst of all, the battles are all over in seconds to a minute or two.
Its fun in the strategic mode, but I always end up autoresolving all the battles because they are horrible to play out.
Warhammer at least fixed the battles, even if sieges are shit.
After playing medieval 2 for years, shogun 2's "every faction is exactly the same" shit also made the battles less interesting.
The most fun I had in Shogun 2 was the naval battles, and that mostly because of how brokenly OP the little archer boats where, since they're the only ships in the game that can actively light enemy ships on fire. Then the devs made a ballance patch that made every boat virtually unsinkable, so lighting enemy ships on fire with arrows was suddenly the only way to knock out enemy ships without boarding them.

Warhammer gave us the asymmetric balance of Medieval again and turned it up further, with hole armies without artillery or shooting units.
With the dwarves you have to use combined arms tactics. Infantry takes the charge, quarrellers or thunderers shoot the enemy, ideally from the flank, to break their morale.
Warhammer 2 is more of this. Elves get their lotheran sea guard units of basic infantry who does practically everything. Skaven get powerful flamethrowers and artillery on top of the ability to spawn a shit ton of extra units during battle (clanrats, plague monks and even stormvermin). Lizard men get nigh unbreakable melee infantry and a ton of giant dinosaurs (lasers are optional). Darkelves get to be edgy as fuck and all the elf advantages, while being geared more towards doing damage than the more defensive elves.
The main cons are the siege battles (same shitty ones as the first total war warhammer) and the lack of naval battles (auto resolve only) despite the games greatly increased focus on naval warfare. There also the whole "no steam workshop" for some reason and the lack of the any of the factions from the first game being playable despite being in the game. Mods will make them all playable though.

p4
moving up defensive hill for a final showdown,
still skirmishing with the calvary and slowly whittling down their numbers

which begs the answer, how to avoid friendly fire or use archers effectively?
should you always stop auto fire, or do they avoid firing on already engaged infantry either way?

As far as I know there is still no fix for suicidal generals. When I asked about it on CA forums back in the day I got a shitload of conflicting answers (of course). Everything from "iv'e never seen this behavior" to "this is intentional behavior; samurai totally fought like this". Still no fix that i can find.

This bullshit at least can be fixed by mods. I think the one I was used was called slower unit speed or some-such. Though i did kind of appreciate the more dynamic/fast fights after years of spear blocks slogging it out european and greek style.

campaign map in medieval 2 dont aged very well for me… i have hard time with it, but battles are great

p5
and finally coming to victory
the rest of the calvary was lost, thankfully with the enemy archers along with it
had to trow all in the battle, hoping to get that unit before the last enemy spears approaching
in the end, my army was victorious but really crippled, had to embark back for reinforcements

I partially agree with you there, kinda like the battles being fast, as you can get though them quicker and more hectic
sieges are kinda fine too, a well defended castle is really hard to take, forcing you to be clever and use cunning,
on the other hand there are no siege weapons, every castle looks somewhat the same, in an empty landscape in the middle of nowhere, with nothing in it
felt exactly the same about sea battles too, and its even more annoying that the AI will scatter a lot of smaller fleets instead of bunching them up,
causing trade plunder every fucking where, and excessive use of the auto resolve

what is bad about the game, and I'd assume all the games of the genre, is that either battles are too easy when you have the advantages, or they are nearly impossible, to be challenging enough
another thing is that is nothing else to the game besides painting the map your colors, diplomacy is ok, trade is a reasonable income, but eventually you will have to fuck them up
like for example, is there any reason for making vassals?

that's basically complaining about history. back then the strategy was being honorobu and placing the castle away from the town and on an empty hill and then the enemy troops would fire siege weapons at it a couple time to let their presence be known so the the defenders can come out and set up for a fair battle.

for the silly battle power differences is all about abusing ambushing. as soon as you go into a forest the enemy doesn't register you any more so they'll just head to your town anyway despite seeing you 2 seconds ago and trigger the ambush. and yea vassals are worthless, everyone turns on you eventually because everyones opinion of you slowly drops as the game progresses so vassals just prolongs it

What would be a good setting for a new Total War? No sequels.

Total war: Russia, Specifically during the 1920's when it was communists, loyalists and even anarchists fighting everywhere.
I know some people dont think total war would work in WW1 and beyond but I still want them to try if only because I want to re conquer russia as the tsar.

Pleb

You damn well know there's only one place left to go. Romance of the three kingdoms, here we come.

I think an French-Indian War game would be neato. It'd be a blend of European and Guerrilla warfare.

I would totally love a Russo-Japanese War game, but I don't think any setting past the 19th century could work. Total War's gameplay is based on ancient, medieval, and early modern warfare where there would be lines of soldiers, so changing the gameplay would alienate the fanbase.

< TW GoT

< TW GoT

I think early trench warfare could work somehow, give special abilities like gassing and chemicals

however I think some kind of caribbean setting would be really neat too, if they could iron out sea battles and trade campaign
which reminds me, how is Empire btw?

How about focusing on some of the major wars that they haven't covered yet?
The 30 year war was basically WW0, and resulted in the deaths of around 50% of the HRE.
There was the Hussite revolt with their wagon forts with cannons long before canons on the battlefield became a thing.
You've got a nice sweet spot in european history between 15th century (late game for medieval 2) and empire (17th century stuff).
Alternatives would be ancient or medieval India. Lots of little kingdoms and shit constantly fighting each other, the Japanese invasion of Korea or the maybe the mongol conquests from china to europe?
Or maybe even, perhaps, make their own fantasy setting for it? That is, unless they just license GoT, LotR or Warcraft.

Please God, no.

I'm still waiting for Total War: Chink edition

I dont know if this is possible or not, I mean warcraft is already a RTS series so it would be weird to have another developer make a strategy game in the series.
On the other hand warcraft 3 was 15 years ago and SC2 was a failure apparently so maybe they will anyway. I'd play it if I can be the lich king.

They are both strategy games perhaps, but they are completely different in how they play. More importantly, I suspect want to do epic warfare like Total Wars battles in the WoW setting, and as you pointed out, the old WC games are so old its almost been a generation since the last one came out, so the old die hards might not care too much, so long as they get a game. Just don't expect it to replace the warcraft RTS's, but rather, compliment them.

true, weird that they didn't develop it further, they have however world of warcraft and LoL

LotR wouldn't be good either, however I honestly believe GoT would cool after further consideration
the lore itself is focused on such large scale battles, realms politics and drama, and its fantasy setting its not that far out there
just dragons, giants, and the occasional dead walker here in there
and come to think of it, having an enemy army walking dead, would really be the ultimate enemy for a regular ultimate empire

but as to what game I would really like to see, I've already mentioned in the thread
but some sort of cross over between civ and TW, essentially more depth to its strategy layer,

The renaissance
Beautiful armor, dazzling fashion, and sexy galleys

literally how? the """AI""" in these games sucks donkeyballs

This is pretty straight forward really:
Sword/axe infantry beat other infantry in melee.
Spear infantry beat cav (and in TW:W monsters) but loose to swords/axe infantry.
Ranged units shoot regular infantry, weakening the units before they can begin fighting.
Cav, is fragile, being low in numbers, but hit really hard when charging. Don't charge spear units head on, it won't end well for you. With their high speed they can catch ranged units before they get too many shots off.
So the order is sword>spear>cav>ranged>any melee unit they isn't in melee range of them
This is further complicated by heavily armored (usually elite) units vs units with armor penetrating. You also have to consider how elite a given unit is as a good spear unit might well be able to beat a shitty sword unit in fight.
That's really the basics off it.

When you've figured this out, next comes how to break the enemy. Your goal shouldn't be killing enemy dudes, but making them panic and rout. This is where the tactics come in, from shooting at the flank of enemies to charging their rears or surrounding them and so on.

If that didn't help, check out this jewtube playlist:
youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw&list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ
Dude covers everything from the basics to dirty tricks and detailed strategy.
Beyond that, try to follow some lp's by skilled players like legendoftotalwar.

Jesus christ Rome: Total War has NOT aged well AT ALL.

campaign map is too basic, very little strategy apart from "capture more cities"

Basically the only good thing about the game at all is the music.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A MAGNET LINK FOR SHOGUN 2?

Shogun 2 doesn't function very well on the pirated version, it constantly crashes; the encylopedia doesn't work. It just doesn't work. You can find it on any torrent site, stop asking to be spoon fed faggot. Just remember it doesn't work very well.

Go home CA. Rome is still good.

I trust anons here more than I trust torrent sites. Worst thing I got was some obscure Japanese pissing video.

works pretty fucking well for me, including the pedia

sorry user, but its like 17GB, if it helps, I got the prophet release

also considering getting up Attila next, heard good things about it, what you guys think?

Where did you get it from? I used a few from rutracker a about a year ago and they didn't work at all. I found on most forums that most people experienced the same problem; I later got it on a key seller (who later tried to scam me) for cheap. I'd say it was worth it for the multiplayer.

Then go ask the share thread newfag: It's there for a reason.

Get the complete edition cracked, shit works.

Takeda Clan best clan.

Yeah, I love how my soldiers basically stand around waiting their turn to fight one on one with the enemy.

Bullshit.

Sage for double post.
There is the great war mod for napoleon that's pretty decent. The artillery is nicely done and there is gas, it could work better but it is there.

>how is Empire btw?
There is no reason to play Empire over Napoleon unless for mods that Napoleon doesn't have like The American Civil War. If anything just slap Darth Mod on it and its fine.

Bullshit Shimazu is the best clan. Not only did they manage to retain there honour after the battle of Sekigahara; the also managed to lead the Emperor to victory in the conflict with the Shogun. but really Oda long yari rapes all with no breaks

Shimazu still survives to this date (along the Date), but gameplay-wise, I prefer Takeda.

Shingen Takeda also has way more myth to him than the Shimazu.

The encyclopedia works perfect for me, I just had to install a bunch of shit in a redist directory. I get occasional crashes that seem related to my audio drivers, but I don't want to update those drivers because for some reason it was a nightmare to get them working on my current machine, so I prefer to deal with the crashes, but if you don't have this problem try updating your audio drivers.

Faggot thread by faggot OP.
Best TW is WaWa.
Proper Rome 1 successor never ever. :^)

I know mods shouldn't be expected to fix shit for the devs, but dorfs with Steel Faith Overhaul are fun as shit, especially against greenskins.

Babur Total War would be neat

Its Rome 2.5
Started a WRE game and spent like the next 20 turns chasing some asshole around France and Spain, and waiting for an army to group up with another one to stop a bunch of shitfuckers from sacking the same 2 cities in a endless cycle with unskippable animations

Well, there's your problem. First 200 or so turns are constant kicks to your groin.

Attila is like Rome 2 but actually good.

Rome 1 has the best campaign map and batting.

"If you liked Fall of the Samurai, and the kind of gameplay we delivered with it, then you’re going to enjoy what we’ve got planned for our first Saga title. But it’s important to say that it isn’t our next major historical release. It is an iteration on a previous game, built on something we’ve already released."

totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-announce-blog

I think next expansion would be Sino-Russia War

Are we wuz Icelandic vikangz?

Not yet user, After Sweden falls then we can make games about DEM VIKANGZ AND SHIET

this is pretty fucking sweet, never knew there was so many controls like that, I wonder how much of that still applies to older games

It now really pains me to think that normalfag's idea of the history of vikings would now come from the vikings show. Like for example do you have any idea how many people think Rollo, the founder of normandy is the brother of Ragnar?

But it wasnt, no desperate fights with barbarians swarming over the walls, no cobbling together ragtag forces to survive the next desperate fight, you know immediate fun
It was shuttling armies around to tell the sheepshaggers to disperse off. You play a tard wrangler not a nation on the verge of collapsing

< like and subscribe

According to the saga's, Ragnar got his nickname from the pants he wore when he killed a dragon and thus made a name for himself.
Don't take those saga's too literally.

Besides, the while paying some homage to historical accuracy, the vikings show has had some major deviations from anything remotely historically accurate. Like Vikings somehow not knowing what the british isles where at the start of the show, dispite all those saxons and anglians who have moved there in the preceeding few hundred years from northern germany, jutland and the neterhlands…
Or the "temple" in upsala. This one is a problem, because no such temples or any other kind of places of worship of the norse gods have ever been found. We don't even know for sure if they had priests. Most of the stuff that gets labled as such, are things like the burial of a particularly wealthy woman in norway or a big house we don't actually know what was used for in Upsala.
The only accounts from the time describing stuff like human sacrifices, canibalism and religious worship by the norse in general, are from christian merchants and traders who where talking to christian monks about how savage the savage heathens up north was, as part of catholic propaganda to encourage catholic kings to fight them. So its about as reliable as readin mein kampf to learn what jews are like…
Hell, we don't even know if Ragnar Lothbrok was real or mythical, only that his sons where real historical leaders of the vikings during the viking invasions of the british isles.

yeah, the beginning of the viking age should be pretty sweet too, having gameplay somewhat different with focus on raiding instead of conquering

oh yeah
another great setting for total war would gengis khan era and the unification of china
there were some pretty sweet wars back then,
and china in that age was pretty awesome, then they turned into chinks and it all fell apart

What about the Moorish conquests of Iberia up to Charlemagne founding his empire and beating them back, ending with the reconquista?

what were you expecting, they skype home?
< hey fam, btw, we settling on land accross a huge sea from you, come visit soon, lol

I don't quite remember how they depicted the temple in the series, but I think that was the idea,
not that it was some big built up temple, but rather a small thing hidden deep in the mountains as summer refuge or something for they to eat shrooms

that is the brilliance of it though, they do know there was a big viking legend that fathered all those of historical accounts, and likewise the only reports of their culture were monks/merchants, eg that monk that was "enslaved" and taken back as Ragnar pet

and then even again the show presents perfectly how they would be just regular barbarians but depicted as horrible beings by the christians
even the brokered deal between that english king and the vikings, letting them settle on the brit isle (presumably one of ragnar sons)

all the ragnar sons, Bjorn "ironside", Ivar the "boneless"
everything is fucking brilliant to still be historically accurate and still have that fantasy wonder of the saga

its the moops
god I need to take a break

I hear it runs like absolute shit though, like not even a good PC will save you.

Another reason not to buy Rome 2, the balancing is all fucked.
Regular hoplites are superior to the much more expensive Shieldbearers. I'm not even joking here, Shieldbearers will die against a 1v1 against Hoplites even with buffs.

I thought that was due to the formation bug, which is just as bad if not worse.

Formation bug? And it's still not fixed? Is there at least a mod to fix this shit. It's annoying to have elite units literally beaten by mediocre ones.

Speaking of terrible, here's a protip for anyone dumb enough to buy Rome 2. Remember to turn off Skirmish mode on your ranged units if fighting in a tight space, sometimes Skirmish mode bugs out and your ranged units run towards the enemy instead of away from it.

wrong

*blocks your path*

No, kys

This is the only right answer

I've yet to see anything decent from that period. They went from Rome, to medieval, to colonial and completely skipped the renaissance. make a game from 1450 to 1700

I really would like a 1500's-1600's game, 30 years war, english civil, that sorta thing.

What the fuck are you doing.

Yeah, no. Fuck off.

problem?

yeah I begin watching some stuff, he goes basically
and I was like, alright it seems like fun
but literally the videos are way too long and shit, most of the time he is just vocalizing his shit decisions

I didn't say he wasn't an asshole. He does however also talk about how the AI makes decisions, how to break game mechanics, he shows how to fight battles and so on.
You don't have to like the guy, but pretty much anyone can learn from him if they pay attention.

there's a mod for the italian wars called just that

Workshop for WaWa 2 has come out and Steel Faith 2 is out as well.

It runs better than R2 but mostly because CA introduced performance "tweaks" that reduce quality.

Finally. Now to wait for the combined campaign map. Does someone know when will CA release ?

*release it?

6-8 weeks after launch was what I heard.

I've been linking it in every thread but anons never seem to notice, that change make Medieval 2 significantly more enjoyable. Of course diplomacy was always a bit screwy in Total War.

That is some Tzeentchian level scheming right there.

The diplomatic AI in medieval 2 bugged me more than the Rome 1 AI did, but that could just be because I've spent far more time in Medieval 2. How many times have I not seen some campaign around Marseilles or Sardinia where some AI you are allied with sails up a small force of soldiers, land them right on top of one of your cities, then just sits there for 30 turns before attacking for no reason whatsoever, then instantly suing for peace the second the force gets murdered? Particularly agravating when its the pope doing it on Sardinia or Corsica while you are not only a catholic faction, but have nearly all the seats in the collage of cardinals and the pope was raised from one of your own cardinals only a few turns prior.

Or when playing as France, while you are trying to keep your boarders with HRE peaceful, the brits allied and is busy merrily sticking it to those spanish bastards, when an egyptian fleet sails up to Toulouses harbour and blocks it for one turn, instantly dragging you into a war, only to sail back to egypt the next turn? Particularly annoying if you had a trade agreement with them at the time.
The most annoying one though, is the way every country on your boarders instantly start sending armies or fleets to attack you somewhere, a few turns after you end up without being at war with anyone. Doesn't matter if its a long term ally you have a marriage alliance with and fought several wars for, if you are not at war with someone, some AI faction near you will instantly try to start one.

In this respect, at least the system from Shogun II had one brilliant idea. The AI could not go on your territory without first declaring war on you, and they didn't declare war for no reason, just because you weren't currently in one. These are features I would dearly like to get in Warhammer 1 or 2.

I really liked CA's design of the Great Horned Rat

Rome 1 > Medieval 2 > warhammer 2 > warhammer 1 > empire because I like that huge map > everything else

The rest are shit. I don't understand why people like Shogun 2; it was really boring.

NIGGA WHAT? Dwarves are INSANELY OP. The gyrobomber is the most hilariously overpowered and broken unit in any total war game.

Did you read this? t-a-w.blogspot.cl/2009/11/why-everyone-hates-you-in-medieval-2.html

you don't belong here

what change exactly? I just skimmed through that, but was under the impression that its just explaining how not to be stupid in diplomacy

Probably would work better with company of heroes style gameplay and a total war campaign but nu-relic would botch that

You are bad at skimming. Basically due to a bug occupying a city peacefully hurts your reputation more than sacking it or even executing half the population, this (along with hidden weirdness in the diplomacy) is why AI nations will randomly backstab you (it also makes the AI less likely to ally with each other and to make peace with you). It's one of Med 2's biggest problems along with the retarded pikemen.

Sorry for triggering you with my superior taste.

How do I git gud at Attila?

One word: cavalry.

Or two word: anvil & hammer.

That's three words, you daft cunt.

What?

You're being pedantic.

By late game you have an economy that can support Total War with all your neighbours anyway. Still it's a pain in the arse that you can siege their last city and they'd rather fight to the last man than sue for peace. Also what are the effects of the two handed weapons bug, I've heard it described but no one's actually told me what effects it has.

Yeah, sometimes I'm pedantic. Sometimes other anons could do well to know english better. Nobody's perfect.

Now you're being annoying.

you fag, you're sposed to be a smartass and double down going "i was referring to "hammer" and "anvil", checkmate grammar nazi"

Always try to have ranged superiority over an enemy army, whether it's sieging an enemy or an open field battle. If you have ranged superiority, you never have to charge up a hill at an enemy, nor do you have to leave a good hill. The AI knows if it can just shit all over you with archers, and it will. Bringing a siege weapon is also a great way to force a defending AI to play offensively during an open field battle.

Archers and matchlocks and do infinite damage in siege defenses with multi-tiered castles. Holding the enemy in place at a lower tier and placing ranged units against the wall on a tier above will typically have them fire over your units heads and rip up enemy units. This is super effective with matchlocks. If you have limited ranged units, you can right click and drag to stretch them further along a wall, which is important with some ranged units where only the front rank fires. If possible, station your ranged units through the gatehouses, as the extra elevation gives them better shots over a combat.

If you're attacking a heavily defended castle and you don't have an extreme advantage, bring naginata samurai to scale the wall before your katana samurai. Naginata samurai won't die as soon as they finish climbing over the wall and will tie up the enemy units there, meaning your katana samurai can actually climb walls and form into a dangerous group. Climbing the wall first with disposable ashigaru units and then following up with samurai units might complicate things, as their near-instant routing will hurt your morale and embolden the enemy, causing you more samurai casualties.

When defending a multi-tiered castle, the absolute top floor of the castle causes all of your units to fight to the death as opposed to routing. Fighting to the death is something you only want to do in a dire situation, because enemy units gain morale for being around enemy units that are routing or fighting to the death. Pull your units that are in this state away from the fight, otherwise you will struggle to rout the attackers. Keep these units far from the fight and not moving, because when their fatigue begins to improve, they'll not only deal more damage, but might increase their morale. If the last few of your units are all fighting to the death, try to force the enemy to fight them under guard towers (if you didn't already) as the steady flow of casualties might cause them to break.

Ashigaru remain useful for most of the game, although they can typically be replaced with samurai if you're filthy rich. Yari ashigaru spear wall is incredibly effective and is capable of pinning samurai. Bow and matchlock ashigaru with a few ranks of experience can actually defeat inexperienced yari ashigaru in melee combat. If you intend to build a lot of ashigaru, unlocking the encampment should be a primary objective. Ashigaru built with an encampment upgrade in a settlement with a unit upgrade resource like iron, craftsmen, or a shrine are deceptively powerful.

Katana cavalry are actually pretty acceptable in sustained combat, and can reliably destroy katana samurai. Yari cavalry are capable of destroying most cavalry in the game, including generals but not including units like Takeda fire cavalry or great guards. If you keep a single unit of yari cavalry in your army, you'll be able to shut down enemy generals most of the time.

Most unique units from the sengoku jidai pack are great. If you're Takeda, build Takeda fire cavalry. If you're Oda, build Oda long yari ashigaru. Date bulletproof samurai actually have a hidden bonus against matchlock attacks, and are more effective than you might think. Chosokabe daikyu samurai will give you ranged superiority no matter how many archers the enemy brings, penetrating bow samurai armor easily and having extended range. For the most part, if your faction has unique units or an advanced version of a unit, it's worthwhile to bring them.

You can embed up to 3 agents into an army to provide benefits. In the sengoku jidai campaign, monks/missionaries increase the morale of all units in the army, which should never be underestimated, especially in an ashigaru army. Ninjas do not directly affect battles, but do allow your army to move much faster at higher levels, letting you choose who to fight and where you will fight more reliably. Metsuke are only useful if your armies are frequently targeted by ninja, as they act as a ninja ward. Agents stack with diminishing returns, so you can stack multiple agents if you wish, i.e. 2 monks and a ninja.

ohhh… so no fix for this bug has ever been released? interesting

btw, have you guys noticed shogun 2 main screens?
besides being fucking pretty good looking, sometimes there are trains in it?

yea in fall of the samurai you can build rail networks between towns to quickly move troops

Can you not get these special units in multiplayer campaign? I was playing as Oda, and couldn't get my long yari after I built encampment.

two-handed bug makes two handed units fucking useless in extended melees. I heard it was fixed in Kingdoms, but I can't really tell.

I just want the old Risk- style map back. I would go and play Medieval 1 TW, but the turn order bug/design flaw has kept me away for quite some time.

keep in mind that they are still really useful for charge tactics & wall defense. Its just that their attack animations are so painfully slow that they tend to get bogged down & slaughtered.

(continued)
Samurai units are so fucking overpowered. They will shit inside your enemies souls. They will eliminate generals with a bow volley before routing enemy infantry in melee combat. If you can afford lots of samurai, you have an army that cannot be beaten. Mounted samurai can defeat samurai in melee combat, but you can typically melt them with a volley or two of samurai arrow volleys. If you have to defeat enemy samurai on a budget, gum them up with levies. before using your more valuable units.

Attendants with very high armor upgrades are actually pretty good. They will not stand against samurai, because nothing can stand against samurai. They will stand against all other attendants, and can eat levies without taking many casualties. Armored bow attendants take many less casualties in an exchange, and armored naginata attendants are the best non-samurai non-monk infantry you will have.

If you are defending a stronghold that doesn't have any walls, the fences can be used to give your archers partial cover and to partially protect against enemy charges. Stretch your ranged units behind these barriers to get the most out of them. If the enemy approaches you from an area with a slope, it's almost always a good option to charge at them down the slope, as you don't have many other defensive options in these defensive sieges.

Levy infantry are surprisingly effective at defending walls. Since more castles have multiple tiers than the sengoku jidai campaign, they see a lot of action where they can fire down on engaged units. When manning a wall, they are also capable of defeating multiple line infantry units. Their only downfall is that they will absolutely crumble if they are engaged in melee by literally any other unit. This becomes more apparent if you have to start fighting katana kachi or shogitai, as they will walk through your gunfire, climb three walls, and individually fuck every one of your levy infantry. If you absolutely have to defend walls from infantry that would rather climb the walls, pull back and form a gun line to fire upon enemies as they reach the top of the wall, as your levy infantry will otherwise kill maybe 2 of their units in melee combat.

If you don't have a foreign veteran training your main armies, have a foreign veteran train your main armies. This isn't something you do in battles, but it will keep your units advanced enough to fight and win most battles. High experience levy infantry can go toe to toe with line infantry. High experience line infantry can reliably defeat more advanced infantry. Foreign veterans also train units when stationed inside a town with them, meaning you can use their training discount alongside the experience gain.

If you are defending in an open field, having hills is an incredibly advantage, as you can field more rifle units and have them fire by layering them. Place a gun line at the bottom of a hill, and then place another gunline on the hill. They can fire their guns over the front line. Normal line infantry normally won't be able to return fire at other line infantry, as they will engage your front line and not approach any closer. They will, however, provide extra volleys against any other approaching units, which can be enough to force even units like shogitai to shatter. If you have units with increased range, they function very well as a back layer, as they can also engage the line infantry your front layer is exchanging fire with.

Some factions have incredibly overpowered units. No, seriously, have you ever built Tosa riflemen before? They will literally reach max experience after a few battles. Pic related. Bear infantry are useful by anyone who can build them, as they're pretty capable in melee while still being better line infantry, and are also cheaper than guard units. Kachi aren't hugely powerful, but they are still incredibly useful to have in small numbers in any army lacking advanced late game infantry.

Some people ignore building navies in the other two campaigns, but you just can't in Fall of the Samurai. Navies with many cannons can provide extremely effective bombardments during combat. To get the most out of your bombardments, target units that are exchanging fire with your units. They will most likely be caught in the explosions, and if they flee, they are running through your gunfire. When bombing a settlement, select areas that almost completely engulfed by your bombardment radius. Their units cannot flee this attack effectively. Explosive ammo is incredibly damaging against wooden ships, often causing them to surrender after just a volley or two. Don't switch to it immediately, as standard rounds have longer range. Only build gunboats if you want to experience how worthless they are. They are not worth the price, nor can they stand against any other ship than a gunboat.

pretty fucking good tips mate, real late, but good tips

good one, I fucking love archers, and seeing their volleys gives me a boner
I wondered why the enemy always charged towards me, now I understand why,

I did this by mistake when was a noob but forgot about it,
what are some other strategies? what I do is usually put up ranged on the walls and switch up with some melee at the last time, it seems that ranged are not as effective being just slightly off the walls
and likewise, would stretching ranged along a single line wall, and then infantry right behind it, work well?

ikr? they're basically the militia of medieval nihon, I used them extensively at first, and holy shit they can handle themselves, even more defending, had some higher rank 5
on the other hand, I never do really know how much garrison to leave on a castle, to the point it nearly made me bankrupt midgame

agents are another thing, I had so much bad luck with them, basically had my assassin always fail miserably, had monks who constantly got converted to Christianity,
at some point it became the most annoying part of the game, specially because the AI knows how to use them, and movement with them is kinda jerky

There are two versions
The pike units have both a pike and a sidearm, the bug is that they will switch to the sidearm to fight instead of using the pike and get destroyed

And the other 2 handed units have slow attacks animations meaning 1 handed units can just attack forcing the 2 handers to block or recoil and not attack

They are buildable in co-op campaigns. It sounds like your friend does not have the Sengoku Jidai pack. Both players need the pack in order for the units to be trainable in the co-op campaign. If he gets the pack, they will instantly be available.

Wasn't there also some bug that made shields useless for the longest time? Did it ever get fixed?

Thanks. Thanks a pretty jewy thing to do.

God those Tosa Rifles are unreal. You can melt most armies with 2 units of Tosa rifles alone and they're available the same time everyone else gets the useless sharpshooters.

Oh I misread, so they aren't usable in head to head? If so that's kind of shit.

I'm curious, I liked the gunpowder units in Fall of the Samurai and I'm in the mood to play more in that style, but I hear Empire is shit. Did it ever get patched to a decent level like Rome 2? What about Napoleon? Is it shit too?

Just play Napoleon.

but is Napoleon pretty gud?
I love the setting (kinda) sail age, the start of the gunpowder infantry and etc

get darthmod and the only major bug i encounter is where everyone gets fucking stuck at that one river crossing in the ottoman empire which massively increases turn times because ai splits everything into one man armies there and derps out. only solution is to always play ottomans or make your first objective taking the two territories at that stupid crossing

Empire has been massively patched since release, granted, but it's still full of bugs. My absolute, totally favorite is one that happens if you surround an enemy unit in a defending a fort in with melee attacking units- your units will kill every single person, except one. And this one person literally cannot be killed, from gunfire, from mortar fire, from more and more melee- he literally cannot be killed. And he will kill thousands of your men. Very slowly, mind you, but he can kill as many as he likes. Another great one, as the other user mentioned, is the ever-present Ottoman glitch. By turn 50, each subsequent turn will legitimately take you, say, five minutes or so depending on how good your computer is. Also, while it's not exactly a glitch per se, it's completely 100% pointless to build any artillery unit besides howitzers and mortars. Ah yes, and of course you can't forget the elusive New Spain glitch; if you conquer every territory in New Spain, your game crashes. And becomes completely corrupted, forever. That one's a favorite too. Not the mention the various times part of a unit will phase into the terrain, with all sorts of varying problems- anything from making the unit unmovable to crashing your game.
Just play Napoleon

Stainless Steel fixes the diplomacy, pikemen and a bunch of other shit. It's pretty much the best historical overhaul mod, and one of the best M2 mods in general.

An issue with this is that the first attack rolls being thrown at climbers would be from your archers as opposed to your melee units, which means climbing units would begin to amass more quickly. Typically, you want to put units against the wall that can rapidly dispatch climbers before they can become a threat.

If you're lacking katana units to kill climbers quickly and are defending with primarily ashigaru, when you pull your bow units away from the wall, instead of rushing another infantry to the wall, keep a yari ashigaru nearby to lure the climbers into a yari spear wall. It's much more effective against attackers that are using katanas than manning the walls with spears. If the castle has higher tiers with empty walls, you can pull those archers back to the higher walls to fire downwards. Otherwise, if you lure the climbers far enough from the walls and no other climbers are coming, you can try and position your bow units in a way that they will fire into the sides or rear of the attackers. Flanking with bow units is a lot easier to do on the top level of a castle than the lower levels for certain castle layouts, but many layouts will have alternate escape routes for your bow units to get back to the top level if things go south. This is risky if you don't have enough yari ashigaru to pin down units that are climbing the walls, for obvious reasons.

Since you like archers, here's a fresh tip that's actually rarely acknowledged: vertical angles matter. Your archers can be significantly more effective at certain angles, taking less casualties and inflicting more. Pic related is why archers protecting castles tend to inflict such high damage on attacking archers. The opposing archers enter range while climbing a hill, and arrows are entering the formation from an angle that will pass from the front of the formation to the back before they strike the ground, meaning that more projectiles will hit. You can get a similar angle by firing at units on flat high ground, as the arrows will enter the enemy formation near the apex. Meanwhile, units on high ground firing on low ground units on flat terrain or an opposite low incline will quickly enter the formation and hit the ground. If you take note of this, you can win archer battles that aren't in your favor through superior placement. It's more noticeable when doing this with ashigaru due to their nature to miss more than they hit, but it's still a bonus with any archer units. It takes practice to figure out which positions provide the best angles. Matchlock units don't need to do this, since their best attack angle is a direct line, which also explains why they are so bad at attacking units on a wall from low ground compared to bow ashigaru.

If your agents are low level and you cannot afford to throw them at small tasks repeatedly to level, try to keep them embedded in an army or town until they reach at least level 2. If your higher level agents are failing too often, be mindful of other agents. Metsuke are better at removing ninjas from play, ninjas are best at removing monks from play, and monks can convert metsuke more effectively than other agents. The presence of embedded agents that can easily hunt your agents will reduce the chances of your agents performing actions to the same stack. The AI is smart enough to target agents that they have the most chance to defeat, so the only real defense for wandering agents is to proactively shut down enemy agents.

If you want to be cautious and you have military access or are moving an army, you can bring a single unit of light cavalry (for speed, or use yari ashigaru for price, or just your army to deliver the agents) and have them escorted by multiple different agents. Your agents will protect each other from agent actions while merged like this. Your agents will only be vulnerable when they separate to perform an action.

There is unfortunately no way to reliably protect against an enemy agent waddling up to your agent and rolling for the 5% chance to kill your agent and succeeding.

They are. I forgot head-to-head existed because I can't get my friends to play that mode anymore.

Napoleon works but people don't like because the campaign map is small and with less factions compared to Empire.
I "fixed" this problem giving all extra provinces to other faction.

Last time I tried Viking Invasion it wouldn't even run on modern systems.

But yea, the Risk-style map was better overall, especially for the AI.

Empire remains shit, even with patches and mods. The engine simply can't handle that sort of warfare.

There's a fix in that link user, read it.

Can you not into tactics? That was a shitfest.

hints for Attila?

1. Cavalry.
2. Swordsman/spearman.
3. Anvil & hammer.

like I find funny, the game isn't that complicated, but you throws you into some odd situations without explaining dip shit to you
like for example, playing as the huns,
you can't actually have settlements, instead you move with the horde, but need to encamp them
another thing, fucking food and region fertility, I'm fucking lost there can't that info for shit…

fucking christ,
at least I got a better understanding now, the mechanics of this game really seems fucking awesome

I think what attila was doing was attempting to capture how history of military conflict was like in terms of numbers of the actions taken.

Skirmish > Sacking/Razing > Sieging cities > Sieging castles > actual battles

shogun 2 anime units mod is best mod

what I meant its that the game just throws you in the fucking middle of it,
I like how basically in every TW you begin having a major chance of getting heavily fucked and the game doesn't even provide you with lubricant
had weakened troops from just conquering a settlement, when the previous own comes with its major force to siege it, right after another neighbor comes to take a piece of the action as well

no fucking weaboo, the historical portraits are gud

Does anyone know how's the progress on the norsca crack ?

ey shogun 2 is like the last total war game you can actually do model imports on, show some fuckin respect

so what's your guys opinion on Attila?
because holy fuck
I'm trying the campaign over and over, and its like anal fucking
I'm starting to enjoy myself, then suddenly get pinned down and get a massive unlubed cock in the arse

jokes aside, it actually feels like that,
there is lot about to fuck with you, I love the new campaign mechanics, but they're pretty damn unforgiving
just as when you feel comfortable going for another province, everything goes to shit,
order is ramping, people start to starve, your soldiers are fucked up because of the battle, you money is going down the drain
you need a lot of reinforcements but you can't afford, and that's exactly when the AI decides to rape you

had a game where three different enemies gangraped me at once, one laying siege while other two came by boat
another game had a stack of doom sneakly going for my capital while another one came for my halfassed recovering troops (the story from above)
and if there is anything to take from threads around the web, is that this game is pretty fucking hard

So for warhammer I should just sit and wait to pirate the complete all three games editon they will inevitablly release in 2 years right?

I still dont know why it hasn't happened.

Now I truly understand why the chans love this shitty title so much.

I love this mod (Stainless Steel 6.4); giving the AI advanced units in the early game—such as these mourtatoi in Epiros, or pikemen in Flanders—provides a unique challenge that's totally missing from vanilla.

Attila is Rome 2 but good.

They really need to make a Medieval 3.

they seem to release game in pairs, and it seems they make it better when revolving about some dramatic point of history or legend

< Napoleon

< Attila

< Wawa 2

< Shogun 2

even though the latter didn't have a pair per se, but it was the first TW in a newer engine,
besides taking over the shogunate, the rise and fall of the samurai, which are pretty fucking awesome campaigns
and even the last warhammer featuring an overall campaign mission, besides just painting the world your map seem to make it significantly better

so something I really thing TW would benefit from is having a very clear story driven campaign,
normally the hardest part of the game is the start, with the sole purpose of conquest and generally steamrolling mid game
but having a campaign that gradually progresses in scale and difficulty would really make it awesome (think traditional RTS like starcraft/warcraft/AoE?)

anyway, I'm really liking Attila, its kinda my favorite so far on its technical aspects, a lot more depth and fuck lot more challenge too
its as modern as Wawa it seems, bringing other eras into the engine wouldn't hurt either

Wasn't fall of the samurai a standalone expansion? You can probably count that

anyone got info on how the battle AI works in any of the total wars?
i found a presentation on their siege battles but thats siege battles and for warhammer
i need it for research

I'm not sure cause I got them together pirated

I do not know really, but despite what everyone says, I think the AI is pretty good
got my ass handed to me several times

you making a bazbattles ripoff?

historia civilis
how can you really call it a ripoff though, it's not like bazbattles is a game
if anything i'm ripping off total war

i mean they work

THE GAY COMMUNITY

nah nigga you missed the point
you have a whole line of single-dot units, which usually represent field artillery
you have them moving rapidly, which indicates horse-drawn artillery
hence, horse artillery

there wasn't any other symbol for archers that i know of

Bought it for three bucks the other day, it's standalone.

what AI?

all things considered, thats still better than what i have going on
the best my AI can do is not immediately die to army that split itself in half

so I'm just now really getting the grasp for Atitila
really more complex game and I wish it was told to me before
stuff like:

holy fuck, like the fact that you can simply move up a big navy of vikings, ashore the port and straight up take a city makes it a whole new game
the region management too, fucking hard planning how to get your stuff to level up without fucking up squalor, order, even the economy

Oda doesn't even need samurai at all just give your commander the morale boost skill for ashigaru and you will have an army twice as big as everyone else and it will cost half as much. If you don't have at least four full armies as Oda you are playing the game wrong.

Opinions on WaWa2?

Its pretty good, Dont know why it wasn't a expansion pack but I like it.

Link?

The engine was built for projectile based combat and suffers from those retarded kill moves, melee combat is terrible.

Top tier:

Ok tier:

Hasn't aged well tier:

Shit tier:

Defeating modern armies with banzai charges is pretty great.

Jews.

Honestly, I'm more into mowing down weaboos with modern guns, but to each their own.

Personally, Warhammer is ok. It's different, it's a bit fresh. Balance and the cmpaing are horrible.

Of the more modern TWs, Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai is the one I like the most. Old west era guns and katanas, what's not to love? Also, the shape of Japan makes for a pretty cool strategic map.

Of the old TWs, Rome 1 is my favourite. No matter how big your empiere is, every coin and every troop counts. A single battle can resolt in conquering the Carpathians or loosing half of Greece.

The only issue I have with Rome 1 is that if I let the AI manage things for me I end up with a shit-ton of incendiary pigs.

If you are lucky you may also get some dogs by your side.

Defeating Traditional armies with banzai charges are much more satisfying.

What, you don't like fried bacon?

not justifying it, but I understand why
its pretty big leap, like from rome 2 to Attila

btw, website game encyclopedia for reference:
honga.net/totalwar/

there is like an official one, but its shit to navigate

I must admit that I am rather baffled as to what the fuck is the reason for M2TW user interface, and unit cards to be so low resolution. I thought it was hideous and jarring looking even when the game launched, in comparison to Rome Total War's user interface.

That could be fairly interesting, since gunpowder-warfare is the only thing that Warscape engine seems to be good for. You could throw 10 to 20 thousand troopers in the field in Napoopan Total War split into 30-40 units per side, and the game would run with no significant issues. Pathfinding would work out just fine, even in the urban areas, and AI would actually function in a fairly reasonable manner now that it had more than double the units to work with.

Funny that I thought the Napoleon interface is really terrible, alike to pretty older games
not only the interface but graphics in general look way worse than they did in Shogun 2

but overall I don't
really get why people complain so much about this
it runs pretty fine for me

mega:///#F!IwFExTIL!gb0YdKyI0TtwFkGBubcCHw

the commanders looking messed up on clan selection is "normal". once the game starts they look like they should

Fuck, really getting gud the hang of it
was able to fend off an attacking rebel army with a mere village garrison (clicked by mistake on manual)
just put a line of spearmen on the tight roads entrance to the village, make them shield wall
and they just couldn't break
even though they were attacking on two different fronts, I was then able to double back and flank them with skirmish calvary
mind you, even skirmish, they still are pretty good in charging melee
it was pretty epic, unfortunately I forgot to save the replay

Sounds pretty neat
I´ll probably never do that but its still pretty nice to have

This is worse brainfuck than stacking 600 of Morrowind mods back in days

The fuck is wrong with you? The quests in Warhammer were pointless and nothing more than annoying distractions. The ritual thing in Warhammer 2 was also just another annoying distraction putting a pointless time restriction on the game.

Fuck off, painting the map is the whole fun of the game.

What the fuck. So Steel faith made the AI more competent by actually trying to win battles with army composition and strategies. Unfortunately the AI became so smart that they decided to hide their leader behind my walls during the siege instead of trying to capture the points. This way they don't "lose" just have a draw. Fuck me

So apparently the big Mortal Empires Campaign for Warhammer is coming out on the 26th

Vampires are fucking op in steel faith man.

Here's the interview
totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires-with-ian-roxburgh

Wait, they're making a third fucking Warhammer game?

The dlc shitfest 2 has started

A lot of it is copy and pasted. Only reason why I'm enjoying is it is because of Skraven and Lizardmen.

my nigga

Tomb Kangz soon

I've played every total war game expect for Attila because after playing Rome 2 I thought it would be the same garbage. Is it worth trying? Just saw it on fitgirls site.

People will say Attila is what Rome 2 was "supposed" to be, when really Attila has its own share of problems. Its a better game than Rome 2, but its still a pile of shit. I feel like Total War games have reached a point where they're now official Bethesda subsidiaries and need mods to actually make the game acceptable to play.

Any mods you recommend? Or with mods is it even worth it? Playing the visigoths seems like a lot of fun.

CA will find a way to cuck that shit.

Trilogies send to come in 3's yes.

The exp gain you get as Vampire counts in SOF is absurd, makes troops super tough

*tend

holy shit I need my glasses

Never fought the Vampires because i usually play as dwarves or Bretonnia how OP are they user?

I dunno if it's been toned down but Blood Knights used to wreck everything and everyone, easily getting 300-400 kills a match.

Anyone know if you have buy both games to get the mortal empire update? I ain't giving CA or those kikes at SEGA money. I have both pirated versions of both games. I'm guessing someone will crack it and release it hopefully. Though, even the Norsca DLC hasnt been cracked yet.

you have to buy both games user, also the Factions. You got to buy them too

Wait, is Mortal Empires warhammer 3 or just a big update?

Mortal Empires is Exclusively for Total War Warhammer I and II but they'll add Total war Warhammer III in their too

*Exclusively for Total War Warhammer I and II for now

This combined map shit looks amazing. Though, I still ain't giving these kikes my shekels. Praying to god it gets cracked somehow.

user you already pirated Warhammer I and II. I don't think you need to worry about it being cracked.

oh yeah good news somehwhat although leaks come from reddit, Someone datamined the Mortal Empires. We getting Skaven Blight and lahmia

Link: reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/73t5dg/full_list_of_provinces_of_the_mortals_empire/

oh yeah forgot about Hellpit for the Skaven

The Age of Vikings mod I found was pretty good. Needs the Charlemagne addon
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780572352

Dresdens diplomatic options and some graphical mods like the HD Flora mod and Aztecs Graphics. There is also the Radious mod, which at the moment is the only worthwhile overhaul mod for Attila. At least until either Ancient Empires or Medieval Kingdoms 1212 gets released.

But in terms of getting the actual update someone would have to crack it.

I tried mapping out the locations for the new lords on the combined map based on the info they provided and the data leak. Only one that really moved was Queek.

How much do you bet that we will get Throt for Hellpit as some FLC?

its the best in my opinion

you're a pile of shit, please elaborate

watching these replays is way too fun
unfortunately, I'd always forget to save the good ones (if there are any where I actually gud)

So I just "picked up" Attila with every DLC and faction pack and it's so overwhelming. Should I start with the default Grand Campaign or try out the DLC? In the campaign viewer I can't see how big the map is, I want to start out with the biggest campaign map possible.

Also any recommendations for factions? Looking to play a European faction that has a lot of heavy cav. One thing seems to be lacking though is the unit rosters in this game though. Nothing a mod can't sort out.

Teclis is on the other side of Lustria

that's pretty cool

wish my potato could run attila, I'd def pirate it

check honga.net/totalwar/attila/?l=en&v=attila
for reference, the in-game encyclopedia doesn't work for me

the grand campaign has a pretty big map indeed, and Attila is by far the most challenging TW game yet, and that is also due to its very complex campaign strategy layer
the tutorial is kinda shit too, so I rather skip it and try to play on easy to grasp the concepts of the game first, with an easy faction, it will account for any mistakes you make initially (and believe me, there will be a lot)

try for visigoths or others like that first, they are somewhat good terms with romans, and far enough from nomads and other aggressive pagans
for calvary I think really most factions are somewhat lacking with them, the only exception of course, the nomads tribes, and holy fuck, you can really feel the devil is wrath riding down on you

the campaign strategy has incredible depth, and believe me when I say it, more than it gives off at first (though somewhat familiar if you played Rome 2)
Romans are strong are all around, have very good buildings, but expensive upkeep and basically everyone else hates them
Barbaric tribes don't have upkeep, they pay with food instead, however their building are much more shit initially,
nomadic tribes (the huns) are much more aggressive, have to use foreign territory (since they can't settle) but have the calvary from hell
as the game progresses the climate gets colder, and make it shit for everyone up north or east, kind forcing migration downwards to the roman centers
besides that, managing nobility is a whole new fucking deal, good governors and generals make a heck of a difference

Wow, the game actually sounds pretty decent and not dumbed down to hell. Thanks for the info.

these ones were from a epic settlement defence, of which I had no hope of winning,
but mistakenly not click on the auto-resolve,

it was pretty fucking epic
and when I noticed I finally got a better grasp on combat with this game, was defending another much bigger force (not like this)
but shield walling melee and trying to back stab with what you have left

I seem to remember them saying they weren't going to make mini campaigns for their DLC races but would instead add 4 LL's per pack instead.
So my money would be on a "skaven clans" dlc that adds characters for the last 3 of the big clans and Thanquol.
The guaranteed ones in such a pack would be Snikcht and Ikit Claw, the rat who's better at magic than most of the knife eared cunts in the white tower, and Throt. A shame, I wouldn't mind seeing Tretch Craventail, if only so you have more than 1 legendary warlord.

Anyone taking bets on how long before they introduce lord Kroak or the chances of seing those two other Saurus special characters from the TT?

I hate to burst your bubble, but while those ships are supposed to look like viking longships, they are nothing like them. The oarsmen are the soldiers who fight, they do not have any kind of roof or decks over their heads and the boats are hell of a lot smaller than that.
Thats why they where good raiding ships…

ok mister historiator, I actually know that, but I understand why they took the creative freedom in this case
first because they look awesome, second because of animation easiness
and third, actual vivking raiders would be coming only 300 years later, but its entirely possible they had bigger boats prior to that
the longships really were most useful to cross the ocean instead of depending coastal sailing

all new factions rape all the old factions the only factions that matter are skaven, lizardmen, and elves. Everything else besides chaos stacks are just cannon fodder(or in the case of the pirates occasionally just armies filled with canons) Some of the weird raiding stacks that appear can be a minor nuisance I saw what appeared to be a chaos dwarves raiding party once that was mildly powerful when they recruited up, but besides that the main threats are just either lizardmen or elves.
In truth this is one of the best total wars in recent history.
Rome 2 was a disaster Warhammer 1 was ok

Also everyone with rose colored goggles looking back on rome 1 is an idiot. You needed mods to improve that game for it to even make sense. Some of the best factions are unplayable and the egyptian army is anachronistic to the time period.

Medieval 2 and Warhammer 2 are pretty much on par because whilst they both have their problems the unmodded games themselves are good standalones.

I don't think anybody remembers either how fucking annoying things were in older total wars regarding the AI and their predisposition to creating a lot of tiny armies that you had to chase around and destroy. In a way the "lord system"(In which you need a specific general unit to field and move an army) which was introduced in Rome 2(I believe I didn't really play shogun 2 that much I didn't really like it) makes sense but limits tactics(but overall it allows you to only have battles that actually matter as opposed to having dozens of small meaningless skirmishes with ai spamming tiny stacks everywhere)

Also to expand on what I said earlier now losing an entire stack is actually a significant loss and a major detriment depending on how your recruitment system works. In rome 1 you can easily get to a point where a couple cities can produce elite armies in a couple turns. In warhammer 2 it's much harder to replace armies and since you lose heroes and lords and all their unique traits it actually strikes a blow to you(well until you get things like immortality for lords and heroes, but by then the other major factions also have immortality) especially on the harder difficulties. You also now have to plan invasions much more carefully because losing armies is no joke and the amount of time and distance you have to traverse to replace said army takes it's toll. I remember games like rome1/empire/napoleon etc. where losing entire armies was never a major problem because every area I had was a unit factory so it didn't matter. With the new provincial system it makes you focus on just making a few provinces designated military recruitment zones and everything else mostly just for economic bonus's so you now have to build and plan around that.

They would have had to hide those things really fucking well if they did, cause we haven't found any evidence of them at all.

The thing that made viking ships good was that really are more akin to an oversized rowboat than a trireme or galley, and their trading ships were highly similar to the long boats. Their advantage over the larger ships popular in the Mediterranean is that they are much more agile, both in their construction allowing the ship to flex more without breaking in high seas, and in the speed it can turn and manoeuvre, which is how they can sail through a storm on the high seas, while still having a shallow draft that lets them sail up small rivers and estuaries and right up on any available beach to quickly unload its crew.
The advantages of the design come from not being a giant clunky floating fortress of the kind that was normally used down south.

Pre year 800 ships would not have been bigger than the long boats, since scandinavians wouldn't have had the capacity to build larger ships than they did latter. Very few ships from the time have been found, but earlier bronze age ships are little more than glorified canoo's, being made of leather hides stretched over a wooden frame. The viking age is when they started making ships big enough that they didn't have to stick to the shore lines.
While I'm fairly certain the developers did this because thats what the ships of all the other factions where like, large open decks for troops to run around, rowers hidden away so you don't have to animate them, the ships can use the same mechanics all the other ships do and so on, its not even remotely close to historical accuracy.

when attacking you lure enemy units towards you one at a time and destroy them until they're weakened enough to all charge at you, then you make yari ashigaru form yari walls and get the AI to charge them head on.

when defending abuse yari walls

don't charge with cavalry into yaris unless you have several morale penalties stacked on the unit you're charging already, if the charge doesn't rout then you'll lose a lot of cavalry

when attacking a castle with a low number of units you can try to have your archers kite out of range of enemy archers and weaken the melee by taking free shots at the enemy until you run out of ammo before climbing up

I agree with you, I like the army styles, but it needs tuning, and it makes all the more challenging managing armies,
for example you can't recruit new troops and move to your, you need an army to transport them to the front line, and replenishment only happen with certain conditions, making it even worse for a battered army

still the AI doesn't seem to manage it all that well, vid related is the AI ganging up on me with nothing less than 60 units (I thought the limit was 40)
still there was like a lot little smaller armies roaming around so I call it partial bullshit, there is way too much there the faction in question couldn't possibly sustain that military

there are some things I wish balanced though, like the option surrendering, or the result on a stalemate when too close a battle
right now the defeating side will get absolutely hammered even on close victories,
and plus you're forced to asign a new leader even when the army is about to die either way, so there should be a "surrender and disband" option that could save the leader

the next series of videos is epic defense on a settlement with only its garrison yet slaughtering the enemy with its choke points

oh and btw, with regard to warhammer, I think the happened the same thing with it, with the first being unbalancedly broken, and the second being somewhat ironed out
thing is, the fantasy setting brought single unit cards, dragon, giants, heroes, that can smash through hundreds of other units without dying, and that brought balance out of whack

one thing to note on Attila is that archers are the super snipe killers they were once (looking at you Shogun 2)
instead skirmishers are pretty good, specially if they have a vantage point, as seen here, raining death from above,
in this point, its a lot of times worth to hold fire and save ammunition for when they can make the most damage

setting spear walls like this, they are absolutely OP, and little matters for the incoming volleys from below, slingers are shit anyway

granted, it is inaccurate, I'll give you that, but they don't hold any specific vantage over other factions ships either (I think)
to be honest, I was let down just to be able to move down my troops ashore and sail them away, without needing any sort of ship building or whatever

given that they already made the ship/crew separation, it would be cool if ships were like just another "tool" they can manage, like siege equipment, and you have to build them before hand, like a unit attachment or upgrade

and to be fair, if the AI ever did anything like this either it would nearly impossible to take even a single norse village

and finally the aftermath

So I just played Attila and the game is absolute shit. Optimized like shit, all of the units in battles feel like their made out of paper, along with the ships. When the ships sink they literally just submerge into the water and it looks unrealistic as hell.

Bronze Age through early Iron Age.

Warhammer 40K would actually work really well, I bet.

China would be fucking excellent.

Yes, A Peloponnesian total war would be great. But they'd have to ditch the fucking warscape engine and make a new engine with real unit collisions. China has a mind-numbingly boring history, as does any region outside of Europe tbh.

You'd think CA would have made at least some attempt at making units between factions different in WH2. They don't even try you have 17 high elf factions and they all spam the same units not even a re-skin; this is completely lazy on their part. The rest of the game is fun, but it really falls short because everything ends up being so bland unless you are just fighting different races. They work so hard on making hero units unique and the rest is just rank and file for the rest of the units on the map. Hopefully modders clean up their lazy fucking mistakes. How hard is it to just reskin and give some uniqueness to different units? Especially from a dev that's going to release $200 dollars worth of DLC for the fucking thing.

If they made an actual RotTK Total War, it'd sell like God Damn hotcakes.

Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't. China has a massive boner for their own history, since they've been absolute shit since communism happened. They're a huge vidya market, too.

It would be neat for things like highelves to give each faction its own lineup, but it wouldn't be terribly lore friendly. The lore has always treated armies from any single faction as amalgamations of all their various subfactions.
It could have been neat to have to conquer or confederate with each appropriate subfaction to get access to the troops from that part of Ulthuan, but since it takes nearly 100 turns to unify the fucking place, this could leave a highelf player without access to mages or decent cavalry untill deep into the late game. Gameplay wise, that's not going to work either.
They could streamline the process of reunifying Ulthuan, but that would make the highelves insanely powerful ridiculously fast in terms of economy and recruiting.
Or they could throw lore to the wind in order to come up with more loreunfriendly local variations of the regional units that would just leave lore autists screeching in impotent rage instead.

Personally I'm more irritated by the lack of Skaven Warplock Jezzail's and Ratlingguns, not only because they are iconic units for the skaven army, but because their absence leaves a giant hole in the skaven army as I prefer to play them. In general all the factions feel like they are too overspecialised, and I miss the combined arms tactics of using dwarven heavy infantry and crossbow/gunline spam and the cannon batteries. The empire could also do this to a degree, especially with those amazing mortars. The skaven are the only ones with decent artillery (the bolt throwers are nice in scattershot, but less so against properly armoured infantry or towers in a siege. They do like 1%-2% of a towers HP per hit for fucks sake), but their shooting troops are limited to extremely short ranges and are mostly shit outside of globes and flamethrowers.
This leaves all the armies feeling wanting compared to modded WH 1 for me. Only a little, but it still bugs me.

I suppose I'll just have to wait for Mortal Empires before I can live out my dreams of invading Ulthuan with an army of disciplined dorfs to murder all those treehugging bastards and cover the place in prober karaks made with prober craftmanship instead of those towers that look like they'll fall over in a stiff breeze that the elves love so much.

Only after I started replaying it now do I remember just how much of a grind that game is.
The AI is vastly superior to Medieval 2, but that doesn't make up for everything else.
It's not fun at all after a while.

It feels like I'm the only Total War fan who really loves Napoleon. Those line battles are aesthetic as fuck, and the scale is massive in 4v4's. Cannons are a bit ridiculous but online etiquette is typically no cannon/one cannon and 4 light infantry max. That being said Chasseurs à Cheval are fucking ridiculous, and the Austrians have pretty shit tier everything.

Total War: China could be pretty cool, either during the warlords period following WWI, or during the various dynasties and house wars throughout its history. The scale of those battles would be absolutely retarded. That being said I'm not sure a Chinese focused game would sell particularly well in the West. So my alternative suggestion would be the U.S. Civil War even though the period doesn't particularly interest me.

Main issue with US Civil War is its limited scope.
Its small in scale, number of troops and so on, compared to most of the big european wars of the last 500 years.
Maybe as an expansion mini campaign for an Empire Total War 2 or something.

I would really love to see a Total War: China.

It could eventually be like Shogun 2 with expansions that add different eras like the Warring States period, the Three Kingdoms period, the rise of the Qing and a post WW1 would be great as well, but maybe it would be difficult to implement in a game which focused on more ancient times.

I really like it, but I have always felt that the campaign map was too small.
When I first got it, I was absolutely in love, especially because it fixed so much of the fuckery from Empire.

It's a very comfy game.
Especially if you like the time period.

Also, when Empire finally got its last patch, I decided to play it and was hooked from beginning to end.
It's a deeply flawed game, but if you can stomach it, you get a very nice package to play with.

The main problem with both of them for me is that they simply don't have the replayability of Rome or Medieval 2.

U.S. Civil War would be fucking terrible the south was at such a disadvantage it wouldn't be fun to play as the north at all. Not to mention a Total War game with only two factions would be really lame.

If they included as part of a Victorian era Total War game it would be pretty cool. That said, I've still been waiting here for a decade for my pike and shot Total War.

Now there's an idea would love to take over Indonesia as the Dutch or China and Russia as Japan. Not to mention all of the scramble for Africa fuckery they could fit in there too.

Problem is the increasing use of squad tactics, cover for infantry and trenches which would be hard to do with Total War's way of handling battles.
Once you get away from massed infantry deployments as the main form of combat, the big units in TW just don't make sense.

There really wouldn't be much difference in the unit types in a Victoria game compared to Napoleon. The only major difference would be the weapons used. As long as it isn't brought into the 20th century it should be fine.

I mean trenches wouldn't be all that hard to implement just make them like the castle walls in Shogun 2.

user…. I'm gonna be needing sauce on that… I want to know

Napoleon seem pretty fucking good too, I just haven't come around to playing it
like said, I just dropped Shogun out of interest after a while
but with Attila I'm still going, its be hard reversing in time though, but those naval battles seems glorious

TW: China would be cool, but from the old times before they became chinks,
from perspective something time frame of the series Marco Polo
the unification of china and the massive barbarian hordes (pretty much squint eye Attila), and there could be plenty of side factions to include in too

the American revolution would be lame, but an overall game for the time period of colonization in the Americas would be fucking awesome
slaughtering hordes of natives with guns, epic naval battles, fighting pirates (or even playing as them)

You're not alone, user.
The only gripes I have with the game is that direct-fire artillery is useless and there's barely any unit variety, even with Darthmod
Seriously, I don't even bother putting artillery into my armies until I have howitzers at this point

Other than the obvious ancient China game, something revolving around the Bronze Age in Europe could be fun. India is another place that has been relatively unexplored and has tons of interesting history.

Shadbase Incredible series, don't really remember which specific page.

It would probably play like FotS.

shit, one of the huns horders cam stepping at my doors, and with it a full stack of calvary of doom
how the fuck do you counter them?

Is it possible to get virtual lan working on /scurv/'d shogun 2? If not, what TW is it possible with?

But user they need to cut content to make DLCs.

Also who the fuck thought that making POISON WIND GLOBES into ANTI-LARGE green rocks that make tiny particle effect upon hitting was a good idea.
Call of Warhammer kind of did it better by making the globes truck sized javelins that obliterate infantry.

I like Empire, and I don't care who knows it.

I would dig the fuck out of an Empire 2

I've never played empire myself, but from what I've seen, the main problem with the period is lack of variety. You have dudes with guns, other dudes with guns, dudes with guns who fight in a spread formation cavalry and canons. Its pretty much all line infantry with muskets fighting line infantry with muskets. Even Shogun has more variety.

Well, to play Devil's advocate here there is significant variety if you look outside of Europe. In North America you have Indians with an entire roster of new units, who consequently have an entirely different style of play and require wildly different strategies to fight. Then you have the actual Indians and Ottomans also with completely different and unique units. European-style nations that don't have the capability to upgrade techs have varying styles of gameplay and on top of that mid and late game playstyles in Europe change drastically from line battles to some legitimate tactics with light infantry & mortars, which is more then you can say for Napoleon honestly. Not to mention that all major nations have unique units and ships of their own.

what is actual the scope difference between Empire and Napoleon?
would you still rather Empire despite of the bugs?

victorian age?

Successful Spanish Armada?

Ok, I gave it a try today, and holy fuck, I really like the setting, the constant musket fire is glorious
but hell, the controls are so fucking awkward, like fighting in cities you have every little irregular crany bit fuck up all planning
its really fucking weird, and I had units turning up out of nowhere in my rear
and besides that, the UI is really fucking ugly, didn't age well at all

The best thing about Napoleon has to be the size of the battles you can get with Darthmod.

i always found a great way to get started is just use tons of cheap civilian muskets. guns do just as much damage as any other, cept they're cheap, everyone will fire guns when they're able to and have no danger of shooting each other in the squad so you can just cram them into any awkward position

Overlapping fields of fire, staggering line advance, hammer+anvil (yes it's a tactic), etc? Tactics are used from the start, especially on defense, where the deployment is most important. Also, never discount tactical use of terrain in a musket game. Slight hills, chest-high walls, even fences (climbing animation negates charges) make all the difference. This is all stuff I figured out the first few times I played, while messing around with the various factions' starting positions. It really isn't that bad of a title, but I can see disliking it when you 'grew up' on titles with more variety like M2 and Rome. Also, I guess he time period isn't everyone's fave, but it's perhaps my most fave. But then, I can't stand the Sengoku period—I really don't get the fawning over Shogun 2, I wasn't impressed.

Empire was my first TW, and I loved it. Haven't played Nappy but probably won't bc the Europa Universalis games I can all but guarantee simulate actual Napoleonic warfare, diplomacy, etc. better and more faithfully/consistently.

Late-game howitzers, but mortars especially, make all types of line battles obsolete unless you're prepared to eat a couple thousand extra losses that you don't need to. Yes common sense things like overlapping fields of fire can be called tactics if you like but I mean more as in a complete change of the gameplay. By the end of the game you should be using at least 80% skirmisher armies, which subsequently require more careful preparation and care then moving a line forward in a particular fashion. Cav in Empire is total dogshit.
I can agree with everything else you said.

What's your mid/late game army comp? What if your chosen faction has shit light infantry (say, Netherlands)? Asking for myself.

Only issue I've ever had with Empire, and maybe you could say the same about every other game, is the AI is just too predictable and they like to just zerg rush most battles

I guess I kinda made it sound like there's regimented eras or whatever but in reality all I'm saying is that percussion & quicklime makes marching in a big line a death sentence. A single quicklime barrage from a single mortar unit could route more then one line infantries at once, especially if the wind is in your favor. Skirmishers become necessary for their light-infantry behavior and magical ability to hide in plain open terrain, not much else. If you have real shit skirmishers I'd say to go ultra-heavy on your own artillery to just attempt to out-arty your opponent - blow them up before they can blow you up. Early to mid game army comps don't change much anyways.

user, which faction has the best Line Infantry and Light Infantry? Is it still England and France(Though For Line Infantry)?

*For Empire Total War

England is absolute easy mode, everything they have is decent to good. France is about the same. Prussia is a close third - they have the best light infantry.

In Empire is there any Unit that has Kneel Rank Fire like in Fall of Samurai? Because Kneel Rank Fire is the single most ass rape unit ability ever applied

In Empire specifically there is a 'fire by rank' tech. There's also 'platoon fire' and 'fire and advance' tech. In Napoleon your troops automatically fire by rank and there is no tech needed for that, although I believe fire and advance is still there.

yeah but EU and TW are very different types of games, I love the paracuck games, and specially HoI4 is really satisfying seeing your frontlines advance in battle plans
but its very much different then seeing the gritty battle upfront

btw yesterday I started again with Attila campaign, but this time picked one of the great migrators, supposedly one of easy starts
and holy fuck the game plays soo much diffferent with hordes, that is actually pretty comfy,
raid and pillage roman cities and grow comfortably, the one annoyance though is that other marauding tribes make a mess of the area

user, make sure you have Colonization mods like its cheaper and AI colonize alot because if you raze settlements to the ground it would feel like shit

nah, in my previous play there were lot of razings, including my own
its kinda strange because loot & occupy yields more gold than sacking alone, so I had a tendency to just occupy and leave
however only the hun AI seems to actually raze them

what really bothers me though is that roman rebels, due to their rapant unhappiness seem everywhere and take over a large portion of their cities, yet their or anyone else won't come to take them back
if factionless rebels are able to take cities back, they should form into one of the ceased factions for the region or something, instead of leaving the settlement rebel state purgatory

anyway, how to get mods into the pirated version of the game, if possible at all?

try nexus mods though Modding Attila (Pirated) is a massive pain in the ass because most of the time you have to be careful what you modify otherwise you have to redownload shit if you got it wrong

oh… we actually reached 300+ post
good one thread, any desire for another one?

Yes