When was the last time you played on custom player made maps in a game?

When was the last time you played on custom player made maps in a game?

It seems like companies totally sterilised this part of gaming to sell their own shit. I think sharing Timesplitters maps with friends was the last time for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

stats.xonotic.org/map/9567
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I played a custom ut ctf map yesterday, it was shit

I never liked custom maps, they are rarely any good but there is no reason to restrict its use

Earlier today. I play Thief 2 FMs almost every day.

Halo: CE had so many great custom maps, I spent countless hours in Yoyorast Island.

Rising Storm 2 - especially with the fucking lack of release maps

7 months ago.
Unless you count DooM, which I had played on Sunday.

Rewind cannot come soon enough.

Not sure if this counts, but I played Thundermountain in TF2 not too long ago. They haven't ever had a problem with sterilizing their games. My prayers go out to retards who still play PUBG and Overwatch

Yesterday. I also made this map
stats.xonotic.org/map/9567

last week
minecraft

A few months back this year. Custom maps for C&C Generals: Zero Hour.

dota

This is definitely part of it but it has significantly more to do with how almost all companies license their technology now and the culture around making games has changed drastically.

Like the image you're showing is of Unreal Tournament. Epic designed the engine for Unreal Tournament themselves. The map editor was included partially so people could create their own maps but also to advertise the engine to future developers so they could license it. Which they did.

Meanwhile this almost never happens anymore. Outside of stuff like Bethesda and Ubisoft, almost everyone just uses an engine made by a completely different company. Like Bioware made Mass Effect on Unreal 3.

This normally isn't that big of a deal but it started to become a problem once companies started licensing more stuff. It's a big reason why if companies nowadays do allow modding, it tends to be literal months later down the line. (See the Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Xcom 2 etc.) whereas editors used to be bundled on the disk (Morrowind, Thief Gold etc)

The engines at this time were also much simpler and there was usually only a handful of tools actually used. Like outside of 3dsmax, Max Payne only used iirc 3 programs the developers used. The map editor, a program to create the particles and a program to test the animations. This is almost all licensed now, to the point where if you want to dislodge some of the dependencies they have you need to spend a lot of time doing it without risking distributing code that doesn't belong to you. It's why companies often look at most support and go "well we could make a big DLC, or make the game moddable"

Then there's how even when games do have moddability it's usually only big names that actually have sizable communities like Bethesda games.

The other factor is that there's less people modding vidya than there used to be. It used to be that a big reason why you'd mod a game is because making your own would be prohibitively expensive and really hard to do. (Engines used to cost thousands of dollars to license. Like a license for the Source engine iirc costed 25 thousand dollars). Mod tools allowed people to create their own games in an easier environment. Things dramatically changed after Epic released the UDK and Unity came out. Now people have free engines that are really easy to make games on with an enormous amount of documentation. It's to the point where the devs that were porting Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines to the Orange box version of Source decided porting the entire game to Unity would be easier. Additionally with Unity you can sell your game or make a portfolio that can get you hired to make games professionally. What do you think sounds better to a company? "I made a cool looking village in Unity" Or "I made a cool looking village for half-life 2"?

This last point is a big reason why I doubt there's going to be major long lasting mod communities for games on the scale of something like Doom or Quake, except for Bethesda titles since they seem to be the lone exception. It's a big reason why Bethesda made "Snapmap" for Doom 2016. Most people don't want to have to devote months to learning how to mod a game only to never make money off it. They usually just wanna create something quickly in an hour for their friends.

Yesterday on Halo: Online

today, on an NWN1 PW server

Maybe compared to others, but I actually played Halo 4 and the custom games were complete ass. They even managed to fuck up the infected mode beyond repair.

I still play Doom WADs I grab from Doom threads from time to time.
The true art of custom maps will always be Warcraft 3 though and I haven't played those in a long time.

Earlier this week I think in Halo Custom Edition.

Too bad a lot of the custom gametypes are unfun because people think rocket servers and a million zombie servers are fun.

Also thousands of south americans